Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E13: Thunk in the Trunk

Phil on a hoverboard will comedy gold and they are actually having Claire admit, she has no experience running a company or how they all hate her. Yet, have to accept it since she's the boss and maybe has some good ideas. I also get Jay's reaction, but really, I have nothing to really say about this episode. It was funny, and Manny even saying: "This never turns out well." Funny how points out how things have never worked out for both Jay and his mother. Yet, no one tells him, that  no one cares about his activities or anything and he still does it. Pot meet kettle.  

Manny had a good comeback to that a kid who made the remarks about Gloria.

Did Phil call the hoverboard something else at first? I replayed it and couldn't understand him. But I did love him on it. I'm glad he was pretty competent on it. Makes sense he would have tried them out many times in stores.

I was wondering if the scene of Manny trying to make the Gloria sign get back down in the trunk while Jay distracted Gloria with the song was a homage to a movie like Goodfellas.

I'm not sure what to say about Jay & Cam's story except that they should always invite new tenants over for coffee so they can all get to know each other a bit.

• Love 2

Some game usurped this eppy, so I had to watch it on On Demand today.

Was Aunty Alice, the hot sauce lady in the grocery, the same actor as Meemaw on Big Bang? I need to get a life.

All the dudes taking selfies with the Gloria cut-out was creepy and funny at the same time. "You're a deacon!"

"Is the captive in the trunk?"

"Mrs. Wilkerson was giving me the distress signal!"

• Love 2
Was Aunty Alice, the hot sauce lady in the grocery, the same actor as Meemaw on Big Bang?

I'm pretty sure that's her. I was thinking "Huh, so Sheldon's Meemaw decided to stick around in SoCal...."

• Love 5

The actress is June Squibb. She was an absolute trip on the HBO (way too short lived series) Getting On.  She played Varla Pounder, there is a video on YT. Language warning.. I thought this episode was pretty funny. Manny's comeback was great. Phil was cute and funny as the housewife. Cam and Mitch usually annoy the hell out of me, but, I liked this plot. I loved Mitch's reaction when he first noticed the dolls. I like the creepy and weird. I even thought the ridiculous cutout story line was funny. Well hey Ernie Hudson!  I'd watch this again on re-runs. 

• Love 2

"Sitting with all those gals I thought 'Wow, this is an insane amount of perfume!"

I thought I recognized the wife with the bob haircut and looking her up she played Veronica in the syndicated show Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World.

Even though I knew it was coming when Mitchell accidentally knocked over all those figurines I was like 

BlakeShock.gif

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

How did Phil sleep-hoverboard down the stairs?

I've been waiting for this thread to open so that I could ask the same question.

On one hand I think Claire and Phil would make a good pair running the company together; on the other hand, they are a (more) comedic version of Lynette and Tom Schavo from Desperate Housewives.

I liked Claire's admission about how she enjoyed being a powerful white man and totally getting "why we don't want anyone else to have what we have". And her seating position.

Did Phil call the hoverboard something else at first?

Phunkee Duck.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 4

Did Phil call the hoverboard something else at first? I replayed it and couldn't understand him. But I did love him on it. I'm glad he was pretty competent on it. Makes sense he would have tried them out many times in stores.

Yes, he called it a PhunkeeDuck (according to my closed captioning).  No idea where that came from, but he did a callback when he was hugging Claire in her office - "I guess you want to get rolling on your meeting.  I'll just duck out."

This is a dumb question. Why is it called a hover board? Where is the hovering? TIA.

Here's 5 reasons:  http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/30/5-reasons-you-can-call-it-a-hoverboard-even-if-it-doesnt-hover-5591723/.

No Haley or Alex, and barely any Luke this ep.  Did anyone miss them?

Cam and Mitch's version of the vaguely-dangerous-neighbor-that-turns-out-to-be-a-big-misunderstanding was silly and has been done so. many. times. before.

Overall, the funniest thing about this was that The Middle tonight also had a cardboard cutout as a plot device. Which conversely also may have been the funniest thing about The Middle tonight also. 

I liked this episode, but the end of Cam and Mitch's story was stupid. First of all, all the figurines? Meh. Then, the Wilkerson's (and Tommy) were admired for having the most complete collection. If all the figurines were that easy to find, all the collectors would have a complete set.

This is a dumb question. Why is it called a hover board? Where is the hovering? TIA.

So no really good reason then.

• Love 3

I liked this episode, but the end of Cam and Mitch's story was stupid. First of all, all the figurines? Meh. Then, the Wilkerson's (and Tommy) were admired for having the most complete collection. If all the figurines were that easy to find, all the collectors would have a complete set.

So no really good reason then.

As a collector, I completely agree. This is also up there with the juice box incident back in season 3, the expensive couch that Kirsten Johnson kept magically walking back to in her sleep along with ice cream and other junk food. Or with Mitch just happening to walk into a spider web and his comic falling out of its protective sleeve where the tape just magically broke into a puddle of water. Or how about the doctor this past season who had his car towed and then came back to the same park some how in a span of 2 hours. Or Haley originally getting kicked out of college because she tripped and fell on a cop who just happened to be walking by and it was called assault. There is comedy and then there is everyone taking their stupid pills to make the plot work.

Edited by readster

Just wanted to add that I don't dislike the Dunphy kids. I love the oldest daughter's shifting eyes as she lies and looks into the camera or merely averts her eyes. But otherwise, I didn't miss the Dunphy kids at all.

• Love 1

Don't forget the very recent idiotic oops! moment of Gloria's very special recipe falling in a glass of water because Cam (or was it Mitch?--either way it was still dumb) wanted to see it. (Of course, an oldie but goodie was Phil squishing the baseball card over and over again because Manny stupidly tased him.)

Edited by indeed
  • Love 2

I hate the cliche that women enjoy when their husbands/boyfriends get jealous. It's not cute. I actually find it creepy and gross. I had an ex who got jealous when other guys were obviously checking me out and I was like dude, people have eyes. They're going to look at other people. You have to get over it because I am not going to hide in my house just to avoid having people see me in order to soothe your delicate ego. If you find your partner attractive, chances are that some other people will too. Just remind yourself that she chooses to be with you, not them. I felt way more for Manny in that situation. At least he had a good comeback!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

I hate the cliche that women enjoy when their husbands/boyfriends get jealous. It's not cute. I actually find it creepy and gross. I had an ex who got jealous when other guys were obviously checking me out and I was like dude, people have eyes. They're going to look at other people. You have to get over it because I am not going to hide in my house just to avoid having people see me in order to soothe your delicate ego. If you find your partner attractive, chances are that some other people will too. Just remind yourself that she chooses to be with you, not them. I felt way more for Manny in that situation. At least he had a good comeback!

I watched an episode of an old game show called Tattletales a few days ago.  The show is sort of like the Newlywed Game, except with three celebrity couples.  The show was filmed int he mid-1970's.  One of the questions was directed to the husbands "Are you possessive of your wife?" All three said yes.  All three wives said yes and at least two of the wives said something to the effect of "If he wasn't possessive, then it would mean he doesn't love me."  

Times are changing, but it usually takes sitcoms a while to catch up.  

I watched an episode of an old game show called Tattletales a few days ago.  The show is sort of like the Newlywed Game, except with three celebrity couples.  The show was filmed int he mid-1970's.  One of the questions was directed to the husbands "Are you possessive of your wife?" All three said yes.  All three wives said yes and at least two of the wives said something to the effect of "If he wasn't possessive, then it would mean he doesn't love me."  

Times are changing, but it usually takes sitcoms a while to catch up.  

And Jay; he's about as old school as it gets.

• Love 1

What was Manny's comeback. I never understand him.

Kid:  "Hey, Delgado, thank your mom for my new screen saver."

Manny:  "Will do, Parker.  And speaking of two-dimensional women who know a thing or two about sauce, stop by Flanagan's and say hi to your mom for me."

I think the implication was that Parker's mom enjoyed a bit of a nip every now and again... 

• Love 1

During the falling figurines bit it went from funny that he knocked over the first bunch, to ridiculous when the tables happened to fall like dominoes, and then back around to funny when Mitch lunged to try to stop them and knocked over the last table.

But Jay isn't usually OTT jealous and possessive of Gloria. It was a reaction to all the men taking selfies with her sexy life size cutout. With the blowing kisses thing going on.

It is horrible what a nasty minded person can do with photo shop these days.  It just was stupid that Jay did not voice these concerns to Gloria in the first place, but then we would not have all the crazy hijinks (rolls eyes).

I love Sophia V, but sometimes I think they do not do enough with her character.  She can do more then crazy hot chick with annoying voice.

• Love 1

The actress is June Squibb. She was an absolute trip on the HBO (way too short lived series) Getting On.  She played Varla Pounder, there is a video on YT. Language warning.. I thought this episode was pretty funny. Manny's comeback was great. Phil was cute and funny as the housewife. Cam and Mitch usually annoy the hell out of me, but, I liked this plot. I loved Mitch's reaction when he first noticed the dolls. I like the creepy and weird. I even thought the ridiculous cutout story line was funny. Well hey Ernie Hudson!  I'd watch this again on re-runs. 

Really really late on this one.

June Squibb was nominated for an Oscar for her role in Nebraska - funniest old lady ever!

hasn't Ernie Hudson been one as one of Jay's golfing pals before?