Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Debbie Allen to the Rescue

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Abby kicks the girls out of the studio after she becomes overwhelmed with her looming legal woes; and the moms contact Debbie Allen, who allows the girls to rehearse in her studio. Later, Kira's finally back with the team; and Ashlee's ready for a fight.

Would someone do a recap of the show... our satellite went out, likely from a storm but oddly, only Lifetime was out.

Stupid plot about Abby ignoring the students and not working and not caring if they go to Debbie Allen's School to work.  They had a competition in Phoenix.  Brynn's mother was trashing Kalani's mother.  Also talking about Kalani not being as good as before.  Both mothers fought later at the dance competition, Brynn's mother is pretty nasty. 

Kalani and Brynn had solos with Kalani winning the overall high score.  Kalani did a great job and Brynn looked like a little kid rolling around on the floor who happens to have good flexibility. 

The group dance was good.  Maddie was there but they only focused on Brynn and Kalani and their mothers.  The cliffhanger was that if Brynn comes back next week, Kalani's mother is not coming back.  (sorry, I'm not a great re-capper).

The show did a good job casting Brynn's mom, what a piece of work.  She holds nothing back and she's easy to hate. 

• Love 1

I did not understand the Brynn/Kalani show down.  Isn't Kalani like 3 years older?  Don't get me wrong - I do not like Brynn's mom at all, but the poor little girl has to be better then Kendall, Maddie and now Kalani?! LOL. Either way, I think the hate between Kira and Brynn's mom (forgot her name) is very real.  

Debbie Allen seemed to genuinely be impressed by Kalani's little performance.  

Speaking of which, I recognized those costumes:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lIyaViPjjM 

those look the same don't they?  Maybe Kira lent them to Club Dance as well.  

I hate Abby, but I am actually starting to sympathize with her on some things -- these mothers going on and on about how important these fake competitions are, how important "the group number" is...zzzzzz... are they acting? Even Abby can't properly pretend to care about this charade anymore.   

• Love 1

Well, I actually like Brynn and her mom. Each and every newbie and their mom have talked about how great their kid is and been trashed for it by the other moms. Let's see - there was Kendall, Peyton, Asia, the whole new squad, Jojo, Kalani and now Brynn  - so it's just a repeat scenerio of what we've seen repeatedly for the past 5 seasons.

We know that each of these girls - except for Peyton, were wooed to come to Abby's - although we have no idea of the agreements made. They could have been promised the world and then once there - nothing materializes. I don't think Brynn's mom is any different than Asia's mom was, Kira or Jess was when they first joined the group.

The funniest moment to me is when Jill is commenting on Debbie Allen's critique of Brynn's dance and lack of expression. Jill calling Brynn boring - when there is no one in all the dancers that have been on the show - more boring than Kendall. Brooke, to me, was never good at emoting but Kendall takes the cake.

The other thing I thought was funny is that Melissa was such a lump this episode. She stood with such a disgusted look on her face when the girls were practicing at Debbie Allen's, had no change of face when Debbie watched their routines and again just puckered her lips when the girls were telling Kira about going to Allen's studio.

One thing I'd wish they wouldn't do is pan the audience. It's pathetic to see all those empty seats at a supposed competition.

After watching the group routine and Abby's lack of fawning over Maddie's return - I wonder if Melissa had her nose out of joint because the episode centered around Kalani and Brynn and not Maddie or Mac? I think that's more the answer than her dedication to Abby.

Brynn actually did take first in the pre-teen solo and Kendall took 2nd in the Teen solo behind Kalani with Kalani taking overall. I hate the supposition that Brynn may not be needed because she didn't take first overall - it's such a joke. And as far as Jill saying - Brynn didn't place - there was only 1st overall given out - there weren't 2nd and 3rd places.

Edited by tessa
  • Love 1

I really can't stand Ashley. Although it's true that all the newer moms were pushing their kids when they first were on the show, I think Ashley has taken it to a whole new level with her put downs of Kalani and her overall attitude that she and Brynn are something more special than anyone else. She's just plain nasty. Brynn's dancing generally leaves me cold, although she looked lovely in her solos and made some impressive moves. Overall, though, I don't get the hype. Kalani's performance was gorgeous.

How long are they going to continue the "Abby is absent" theme? Tiresome, unprofessional, idiotic. She's acting like the child she won't allow her child dancers to be.

Edited by renatae
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

I think Ashley is horrible too. She's just really unhinged I think. You're part of a team now, while you have every right in the world to make sure your daughter is seen, there's no need to denigrate the rest of the dancers to make that happen. It also doesn't make it easier for your kid who has to dance with those girls. 

I think Brynn is a lovely technical dancer but she needs to work on performance skills. I didn't see "joy" as being what she needed to express with that dance last night - frankly between the music and the choreography, I couldn't tell what they were trying to express. The music was most definitely not joyous.

I liked the steampunk dance, thought it was pretty cool. 

Maddie needs to watch her face in the little chat pieces. She obviously has some disdain for the process itself and for some of her fellow dancers, but she needs to learn not to show it.

• Love 2

You know - the show is far from reality and most of it is scripted or leads the mom in the direction that will cause the most conflict - so even tho there may be some animosity between Brynn and Kalani's moms - I think much of it is amplified by production. Brynn is 12 years old vs Kalani's 15 years so there really wouldn't have been many years of direct competition between the 2. At least where I danced - the girls and guys were within a year or 2 of each other at most in age difference in the classes. The age difference increased with the older dancers but the younger ones were pretty much with kids their own age.

Brynn also has had much more exposure than Kalani has had in the real world being part of a group that made it to the quarter finals of America's Got Talent and on youtube. Brynn was always one of the ones Maddie was compared to - so Ashley's responses may very well be due to things perpetrated by Kira to begin with. There is always 2 sides to every story and I try to remember that. May not make me popular but in my younger days I'd get upset having only heard one side of a story and then had to eat crow - there's 2 sides and then somewhere in the middle there is the truth.

• Love 1

The funniest moment to me is when Jill is commenting on Debbie Allen's critique of Brynn's dance and lack of expression. Jill calling Brynn boring - when there is no one in all the dancers that have been on the show - more boring than Kendall. Brooke, to me, was never good at emoting but Kendall takes the cake.

Brynn actually did take first in the pre-teen solo and Kendall took 2nd in the Teen solo behind Kalani with Kalani taking overall. I hate the supposition that Brynn may not be needed because she didn't take first overall - it's such a joke. And as far as Jill saying - Brynn didn't place - there was only 1st overall given out - there weren't 2nd and 3rd places.

Jill is so ridiculous.  And a hypocrite - she gets all up in arms if anyone dares insult Kendall - but then she has actually been very horrible towards Brynn...  who is actually better then Kendall in all fronts - performance and technique.  

There seems to be a whole lot of real - not Candy Apple Cathy contrived and amplified - hate between Kalani's mom and basically every other person from Kalani's old studio.

Really?  Who else does she dislike?  

You know - the show is far from reality and most of it is scripted or leads the mom in the direction that will cause the most conflict - so even tho there may be some animosity between Brynn and Kalani's moms - I think much of it is amplified by production. Brynn is 12 years old vs Kalani's 15 years so there really wouldn't have been many years of direct competition between the 2. At least where I danced - the girls and guys were within a year or 2 of each other at most in age difference in the classes. The age difference increased with the older dancers but the younger ones were pretty much with kids their own age.

This is true, but I think they would have a lot of interaction at Club Dance because Brynn and Kalani were both on the studio's Pre-Pro dance company, which I think only had like 10 girls on it or something.  They would have trained together for hours everyday, travelled to competitions together, etc.  It was also always really obvious that both Brynn and Kalani were close with their teacher Alexa Moffett.  

• Love 1

Can anyone explain to me the relationship between Adage and Club Dance?  Did Kira simply start her own studio while having Kalani continue training where she was?

I really liked the group dance and both solos this week.  Ashley seems totally nuts.  Last week she was tearing up saying that she needed a chance to learn how to be a part of the team, and this week she was insulting Kalani and clawing at Kira's throat.  I did think it was odd, though, that when Ashley was telling Kira, "nobody wants you here!" before the competition that all the other moms just sat by watching, and nobody spoke up and said "um, actually we do want her here..."  It wasn't until Kira walked out that anyone took her side.  And even when that happened, Kalani ended up being the most mature person in the room when dealing with the argument.

https://www.sheertalentltd.com/index.php/results/phoenixresults.htmlThese are the actually results from this week's competition. As you can see - Adage-   teacher Kira Girard also participated.

This article will explain more about Kira, Kalani - Club Dance and Adage - http://www.ibtimes.com/why-did-kalani-hilliker-leave-dance-moms-mom-kira-girard-speaks-out-1649392- so the whole premise that Kira is coming back or next week's scenerio - If Ashley stays - I'm leaving is all a farce. Kira is not going to leave her boyfriend / husband ( don't know if they're married yet ) and new baby or 6 yr old son  - so this episode next week will just be another farce.

I actually wish that they had continued with the minis and have said before that bringing in a new junior squad would bring some life into the show. Maddie's got her fame and the kids are getting older. Let them enjoy the teenage years while they still can. The one with the most to lose if that happens - Jill and Kendall. I think the rest of the girls can carry on with their projects or just go back to being normal teens - Jill and Kendall - not so much!

I think Ashley is horrible too. She's just really unhinged I think. You're part of a team now, while you have every right in the world to make sure your daughter is seen, there's no need to denigrate the rest of the dancers to make that happen. It also doesn't make it easier for your kid who has to dance with those girls. 

I think Brynn is a lovely technical dancer but she needs to work on performance skills. I didn't see "joy" as being what she needed to express with that dance last night - frankly between the music and the choreography, I couldn't tell what they were trying to express. The music was most definitely not joyous.

Ashley is another what's her name, Paige's mom.  And I don't get everyone going on about Brynn's fabulous "technique."  So she's able to straighten her knees?  I don't see much else.  Like Debbie Allen said, dance isn't about feet or legs.  The poor kid has no performance talent.  I don't think competitions put as much stock into that as they should, but the real dance world does.  This is why Maddie has been successful, she has been able to transfer from a competition dancer to a real performer.  I don't see Brynn doing that.  And odds are the Brynn will fill out like her mother in her later teen years. 

• Love 1

Brynn made it to America's Got Talent Quarterfinals.

Kalani was a background dancer on Bunheads and that Disney show (can't think of the name - but it was with Club Dance I think), the AUDC.

Both girls have 'worked' outside of Dance Moms, but Kalani has done a little more visible shows prior to dance moms.

• Love 1

Ashley is another what's her name, Paige's mom.  And I don't get everyone going on about Brynn's fabulous "technique."  So she's able to straighten her knees?  I don't see much else.  Like Debbie Allen said, dance isn't about feet or legs.  The poor kid has no performance talent.  I don't think competitions put as much stock into that as they should, but the real dance world does.  This is why Maddie has been successful, she has been able to transfer from a competition dancer to a real performer.  I don't see Brynn doing that.  And odds are the Brynn will fill out like her mother in her later teen years. 

I think Debbie Allen meant to say that dance isn't ONLY about feet or legs. Nia's a great performer, but she doesn't have the technique that Brynn does so she gets lower scores. To be a real, professional dancer you have to have both. You have to be able to perform the dance, but you also have to have the technical skills to back it up. That's why Maddie has been so successful, she has the technique and she's been able to bring herself beyond "Maddie Face" in performance. Brynn has great legs, feet, turnout, flexibility, and versatility, but she needs to work on injecting some personality into her performances to keep moving forward.

• Love 5

The group dance was good!  But, I truly don't understand what the hubbub was over Abby's studio. Did Abby physically close the doors to them, or did they go to DA because Abby wasn't going to watch the dance?  Gia was the one teaching the routine to the girls at that point, so I'm not sure why they would need to go to DA studio unless Abby physically locked the doors on them.  Unless they were thinking that DA was going to fill Abby's role, but how could she, that is not her competition team.  

I'm not sure how I feel about Brynn, but I think if I were Debbie Allen and there was all this "well I'm only going to show you a little of my solo" and all that nonsense, I would have just been like "you know what, thats fine, I don't really need to see it, bye."  

I really want Kira and Ashley to just have it out once and for all, and let everyone know what the hell the problems are.  It helps that I don't like either of them.  I get the impression that most of the stuff Ashley said about Kira is true, because when she was saying it I don't remember Kira refuting it, but coming back with something about liposuction and plastic surgery.  I don't get why Kira was actually going to leave when this is the one time she has seen her daughter perform in so long.

Speaking of looks....WTF was Jill wearing at the competition...she looked like some hooker/stripper version of Pocahontas.

• Love 1

RC - the whole thing was staged - Kira's Dance Studio was competing at Sheer Talent along with the ALDC - see the link above. Kira wasn't going anyplace but back to her studio's dressing room.

• Love 2

I think Debbie Allen meant to say that dance isn't ONLY about feet or legs. Nia's a great performer, but she doesn't have the technique that Brynn does so she gets lower scores. To be a real, professional dancer you have to have both. You have to be able to perform the dance, but you also have to have the technical skills to back it up. That's why Maddie has been so successful, she has the technique and she's been able to bring herself beyond "Maddie Face" in performance. Brynn has great legs, feet, turnout, flexibility, and versatility, but she needs to work on injecting some personality into her performances to keep moving forward.

Of course you need both, but phenomenal performances will  trump "good feet."  Brynn hasn't reached her teen years yet, so it's too soon to know how well she will do.  But Brynn will soon be meeting up with dancers who have been studying at serious schools and they will have better training and surpass her.  That's why it drives me crazy to hear the mothers talk about how their daughters always win and how they are better than so and so.  Setting them up for failure.

I think Kalani is aware that although she is a beautiful dancer, she is not always going to be the "best."  She is one of many thousands of young girls who love dance and are talented.    

I really want Kira and Ashley to just have it out once and for all, and let everyone know what the hell the problems are.  It helps that I don't like either of them.  I get the impression that most of the stuff Ashley said about Kira is true, because when she was saying it I don't remember Kira refuting it, but coming back with something about liposuction and plastic surgery.  I don't get why Kira was actually going to leave when this is the one time she has seen her daughter perform in so long.

Speaking of looks....WTF was Jill wearing at the competition...she looked like some hooker/stripper version of Pocahontas.

Kira and Ashley are examples of stage moms and their extreme jealousy at the thought of anyone else's kid getting ahead of theirs.  They did a good job casting them.

Jill cracks me up with her hair extensions and her crazy outfits. 

• Like 1

I don't know when I started liking Jess, but I do.  I loved her description of Abby's childish behavior on the plane, although I thought she said Abby was pouting and throwing salt.

According to google, pathetical and even patheticalness, are words.  Interesting that "three baby daddies and a record" didn't phase Kira, but challenging her education/intelligence did.

• Love 1

Jill is so ridiculous.  And a hypocrite - she gets all up in arms if anyone dares insult Kendall - but then she has actually been very horrible towards Brynn...  who is actually better then Kendall in all fronts - performance and technique.  

And to make matters worse, Jill now seems to be the spokesperson for the moms. She was insufferable enough as just a selfish, whining rodeo clown but this? I'd settle for a talking parrot doing all of these "confessionals" instead of Jill.  Somewhere out there there must be a village looking for its missing idiot.  Good townspeople, look no further than Dance Moms to find her.

• Love 5

Nia's "I don't care" look when Jill was talking about Abby not wanting them speaks volumes. The only kid who really looked like she was at all concerned was Mackenzie.

What's funny is Abby didn't actually say she didn't want them there. She said she had too much to deal with to go watch the girls dance. The moms kept taunting her about how they could go elsewhere, and Abby was all "fine, go." But it's not like she kicked them out.

Mackenzie did look really upset at the idea that Abby didn't want her around. I felt kind of bad for her, even if it's staged.

According to google, pathetical and even patheticalness, are words.  Interesting that "three baby daddies and a record" didn't phase Kira, but challenging her education/intelligence did.

aShley was the dumbass in this one. It's a word, Kira just didn't use it in the typical way. For example, "she told the same pathetical story." Sounds right. But "she's pathetical." Sounds off.

• Love 1

I don't like Brynn's mom but I do like Brynn and I think she's a very talented little dancer.  Yes, she needs to work on expression and all of that but she's still young.  The direct comparisons between her and the older dancers is ridiculous.  Of course older dancers are going to dance more maturely than she does.  Not to mention Maddie and co. have years of being on television under their belts.  Maddie, a girl that has filmed movies and tv shows and featured live performances on SNL and etc. has better expression than a younger girl who has mostly done dance competitions?  Shocking. And yes, I know Brynn has been in/on some things but I'd argue not in any sort of star capacity.  Go back and watch Maddie in S1 with her patented Maddie face and look at her now.  I'd argue Maddie's real improvement in terms of overall performance has little to do with her ALDC competitions and a lot more to do with her professional experience.

Also Jill calling anybody else's child a boring dancer is rich.  Kendall might be the most boring performer in Dance Moms history.  I also laughed real hard at her claim about all the girls being there since they were minis.  I really think in Jill's mind, Kendall has been dancing with Abby since she was 3.   She probably pastes Kendall's face over Paige's in old ALDC pictures.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

No mention or showing of the minis this episode?  Is that all done now?  Jeez, this show is so inconsistent.  It's sooooo bad, I think I am mostly watching just to see how much worse it can get, if at all. 

I think they're gone for several weeks and when they come back, Kendyl and one other (Areana maybe?) are gone.

Oh wow, so Brynn is also a student of Alexa? Her little sister makes videos with Kalani and has to appear as the most annoying person ever, something about her is so irritating. Why do they keep taking kids from that studio!

Hahahaha^, so true. Kendall isn't the only one not have been around though, wasn't Nia also new to the studio (as in joined for the show?)

• Love 1

Just watched. Is it bad that I felt a bit sorry for Abby this episode?

Why did they need to go to Debbie Allen's, the whole "not being allowed in" Abby's studio seems production decided to me. They could have easily trained with Gia without Abby's help.

Omg dying with laughter at Jill gloating over Debbie saying Brynn dances with no emotion. Whilst I agree, Kendall much? XD
Also loved Jesslyn's smirk when Ashalee went on about three baby daddies, I'd have been sniggering myself.

Wait what, KIRA has a master's degree, really? I'm sort of feeling the dispute between Kira and Ashalee is real and feeling it's probably Ashalee who's the true awful one, so poor Brynn as she seems nice.
Brynn's solo was actually really nice, but she ruined it by doing a Kendall, blank face. Debbie was right. Maddie could have done it, she gets joy from dancing. Although at one point Brynn did some side leg lift thing I've never seen Maddie do? Kalani's solo was amazing <3

• Like 1

Yes, she needs to work on expression and all of that but she's still young.  The direct comparisons between her and the older dancers is ridiculous.  Of course older dancers are going to dance more maturely than she does.  Not to mention Maddie and co. have years of being on television under their belts.  Maddie, a girl that has filmed movies and tv shows and featured live performances on SNL and etc. has better expression than a younger girl who has mostly done dance competitions?  Shocking. And yes, I know Brynn has been in/on some things but I'd argue not in any sort of star capacity.  Go back and watch Maddie in S1 with her patented Maddie face and look at her now.  I'd argue Maddie's real improvement in terms of overall performance has little to do with her ALDC competitions and a lot more to do with her professional experience.

Why is everyone acting like Brynn is so much younger than the other girls? Brynn is 12; she'll be 13 in July. Maddie is 13; she'll be 14 in September. In addition Brynn has been pursuing the fame route just as long as Maddie has. She had a singing and dancing group in the past, has modeled and done some small film bits. Not to mention she did America's Got Talent and I believe that other dance competition. I won't be surprised if we see her on So You Think You Can Dance this year since it's going to be changed to ages 8-13 for the upcoming season. 

In addition it can be argued that with Club Dance being nearer to the west coast and participating in far more of the premier competitions, she has had a greater exposure to a much bigger audience and spotlight than Maddie. Yet she hasn't managed to have a big break moment. Clearly her mother is hoping that this stint on Dance Moms will change that for her. 

Edited by Tasya
  • Love 1

All the moms from that Club Dance studio that have come on the show all come off as just awful nasty competitive people - the kids are talented and they seem to be well trained, but I wouldn't take my kid there if it were free and half a mile away from my home based on what these moms are like. I don't think it is an act either - the hate between kilanis mom and the two other moms from there seems 100% real, and Byrnn's mom seems like such an ugly person on the inside. Either that studio attracts awful parents or it creates them, either way, it seems like an awful place to be involved with and no trophy is worth that.

I used to think they were a good studio too, but now that I've seen more of what they are like, the name is tarnished to me.

• Love 1

Why is everyone acting like Brynn is so much younger than the other girls? Brynn is 12; she'll be 13 in July. Maddie is 13; she'll be 14 in September. In addition Brynn has been pursuing the fame route just as long as Maddie has. She had a singing and dancing group in the past, has modeled and done some small film bits. Not to mention she did America's Got Talent and I believe that other dance competition. I won't be surprised if we see her on So You Think You Can Dance this year since it's going to be changed to ages 8-13 for the upcoming season. 

In addition it can be argued that with Club Dance being nearer to the west coast and participating in far more of the premier competitions, she has had a greater exposure to a much bigger audience and spotlight than Maddie. Yet she hasn't managed to have a big break moment. Clearly her mother is hoping that this stint on Dance Moms will change that for her. 

Maddie's biggest break came from Dance Mom's. Each of them have done things and gotten things by the time Sia called. However, nothing Brynn has done would have landed her on late night repeats for a famous singer/songwriter to see one night. 

That is true, but Brynn is not some poor little newbie dancer who has never been exposed to the spotlight. That's the point i'm trying to make. It's not wrong to compare Brynn to Maddie, Kalani, Kendall etc. She's within a year or two of all of them and should be better at projecting some sort of emotion into her routines. The girl is a great technician, she can technically dance circles around Maddie. But it's quite clear that her mother wants more for her than to continue winning on the competition circuit. Accordingly, she had better wake up and find some way to coax some performance out of her quickly, or her time in the spotlight is going to pass. If only because I simply can't believe that Dance Moms is going to come back after this season (they are filming episodes after the mid-season hiatus but I still consider that part of this current season). 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

In addition it can be argued that with Club Dance being nearer to the west coast and participating in far more of the premier competitions, she has had a greater exposure to a much bigger audience and spotlight than Maddie. 

Well, no, because Maddie has been on t.v for so many years. But I agree Brynn lacks a certain artistic depth when she performs.  She's not as bad as Kendall though, because at least her actual dancing is impressive.  

Wait...So everyone on the next season of 'SYTYCD' will be a kid?!  I wanna watch that! When does it start?

All the moms from that Club Dance studio that have come on the show all come off as just awful nasty competitive people - the kids are talented and they seem to be well trained, but I wouldn't take my kid there if it were free and half a mile away from my home based on what these moms are like. I don't think it is an act either - the hate between kilanis mom and the two other moms from there seems 100% real, and Byrnn's mom seems like such an ugly person on the inside. Either that studio attracts awful parents or it creates them, either way, it seems like an awful place to be involved with and no trophy is worth that.

I used to think they were a good studio too, but now that I've seen more of what they are like, the name is tarnished to me.

A little for me too.  It seems to me like there was a lot of favoritism... if you ever looked at Alexa's instagram, it was really obvious she was much, much more invested in some students (Kalani, Brynn, her sister Addison) then others.  

I've also grown to find Alexa's choreography and style kind of one note - it either really works for a  dancer and looks great, or it really doesn't work and looks silly.  Its all kind of faux-deep and try-hard "artsy"... but hey, the tweens on youtube go crazy for it, and her dancers win a lot of awards, so she's obviously doing something right. Also, I think she is really young (like very early twenties) so it makes sense that her choreography would be a little gratuitously angsty. 

Either way, I think she's left Club Dance studio... and moved to L.A to work there.  I don't know, I could be wrong. 

Edited by sofiah

Well, no, because Maddie has been on t.v for so many years. But I agree Brynn lacks a certain artistic depth when she performs.  She's not as bad as Kendall though, because at least her actual dancing is impressive. 

Wait...So everyone on the next season of 'SYTYCD' will be a kid?!  I wanna watch that! When does it start?

To clarify, by bigger audience I meant specifically performing in competitions. 

SYTYCD begins in May I believe. I'm cautiously excited about the juniors but not as much by the format. Apparently all of the chosen contestants will compete in "The Academy" which will then whittle down to a top 10 who perform with the allstars. I can't imagine adults dancing with kids in the SYTYCD realm so that is a bit strange to me. I would have preferred if the age was higher (say 10-16) and if the kids were going to be dancing with each other. 

• Love 1

To clarify, by bigger audience I meant specifically performing in competitions. 

SYTYCD begins in May I believe. I'm cautiously excited about the juniors but not as much by the format. Apparently all of the chosen contestants will compete in "The Academy" which will then whittle down to a top 10 who perform with the allstars. I can't imagine adults dancing with kids in the SYTYCD realm so that is a bit strange to me. I would have preferred if the age was higher (say 10-16) and if the kids were going to be dancing with each other. 

I posted this in the SYTYCD forum, but I wanted to point it out here too.  I can see where a dance will look better if the kids were similar in age.  I don't think they would do ballroom with a kid and All Star.  However, I can also see drama being created if the kids were paired and the moms were there.  It could be something like Kira and Ashley going after each other.  At least, the All Star would act like a mentor and be nice to the kids.  I think they will be tough on them but not mean.  

Edited by realdancemom

I believe Nia was already at the studio but she was new to the team.  She was added just because of the show.

Really? But the "team" didn't exist did it? I mean Brooke and Kenzie had different classes? It seemed like the Hylands, Chloe and the Ziegler's had a history that Nia wasn't a part of?

YES, so agreed about Alexa, her choreography does come across as faux deep and pretentious, I find it very dull.

Edited by Odelia

IIRC Nia was not part of the competition team before the show. There was an African-American girl on the competition team (and still is) but I guess her mother had enough common sense to say no lol. They had to have someone "ethnic" so Nia becomes part of the team. If you look back at all of the past pictures they post, you'll see that Nia isn't a part of any of them when the girls were really little. 

• Love 1

New drinking game: any time Holly says the word Debbie Allen, take a shot.

- She realllllly should take Nia there permanently and they can continue to salivate and drool. I respect Debbie Allen, she's amazing, but Holly is just so nauseating about it

- Ashlee is almost as insufferable, but in a different way

- Melissa, Kira, Jessalynn & Jill don't annoy me as much

- Kendall sucks the life out of the room

- I think Brynn has a conniving side they haven't shown

- Mackenzie and JoJo are my faves, I wish we could see a lot more of them. They're both improving a lot and whenever they talk it's entertaining (imho)

- Maddie and Kalani are good dancers, I like watching their solos but could care less about hearing them talk

Am I missing someone ?

Oh right.

I want to wash Gianna's hair

Edited by ThreaLevelMidnight

Ah, so Kendall competed for title and won.  I couldn't figure out why the hell she had a tiara on her head, and you know that even at a fake competition - Jill puts in for title so Kendall gets a tiara.

Of course you need both, but phenomenal performances will  trump "good feet."  Brynn hasn't reached her teen years yet, so it's too soon to know how well she will do. 

Every single time.  But that performance quality usually shows up by now in competition dancers if it's inherent, it takes longer with ballet academy kids.  And you can't fake it and it can't be taught.  My dancer has it in spades but she had to work really, really, really hard to bring up her technique to match.

I'm done with Brynn's mom in a way that no other mother has annoyed me, she is simply vicious.  We've already been over Kira's drama, no reason to try to milk that again.  I'm wondering about the atmosphere at Club Dance too, it must be really competitive. 

Don't even get me started with the ruination of SYTYCD, I can't help feeling like they want to amp up momma drama because of this show.

I loved Kalani's solo, Brynn's was lovely but she slipped and has little face, I loved the SteamPunk group dance.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 1