Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Yoknapatawpha

I thought it was a bit too on the nose.  I also thought that neither Katie nor Sawyer seem as though they are well read so the name of the pub didn't fit either of them.  

• Love 2

I agree about the name of the pub.

I am getting frustrated with this show for not giving us enough world-building info. In sci-fi and fantasy, world-building is essential. This show has only given us the barest hints of what this world is like outside of the "bloc" they are in. We should know a bit more by now. 

I think Snyder is a lying liar who lies. He said in a previous episode, didn't he, that he had never actually met the "hosts" (alien visitors) and yet in this episode he says that he did meet them, but of course refrains from giving any useful description of them. (Saying that it makes you feel small in the universe could be said upon meeting any aliens). Snyder also is probably lying about not knowing about any other colonies in the area -- it's hard to believe he knows for sure about seven other colonies in Oregon, Washington and California but has no knowledge of any near where he is. 

Also I think Snyder is lying to them about Charlie -- he doesn't know about Charlie, doesn't even know if he's still alive, because he's not looking for him. He either has no power to give Charlie back to his family, or doesn't care enough to do so. But we've already seen how he easily breaks promises -- like with Fake Geronimo guy. 

At this point, the Resistance seems so useless and incompetent I'm almost siding with Sawyer. Killing Snyder would just mean that they'd replace him with another bureaucrat -- how would that help them? Sawyer was right when he said to Kate that "Snyder is the devil we know."  They are just going to make life worse for people in the bloc without doing any damage to the "Hosts." What are they hoping for, exactly? And every one of their operations has resulted in more of their own getting killed.

• Love 9

At this point, the Resistance seems so useless and incompetent I'm almost siding with Sawyer. Killing Snyder would just mean that they'd replace him with another bureaucrat -- how would that help them? Sawyer was right when he said to Kate that "Snyder is the devil we know."  They are just going to make life worse for people in the bloc without doing any damage to the "Hosts." What are they hoping for, exactly? And every one of their operations has resulted in more of their own getting killed.

It looked like Superman Will single-handedly took out most of the resistance in one day.

• Love 5

So, when did they pull off the Snyder switcheroo? I was looking for a gap when Will would have had time to get Snyder out of the office and into the bar cabinet without Katie seeing and I didn't see one. Or was Katie in on it? She seemed surprised to see Snyder crawl out.

I am getting frustrated with this show for not giving us enough world-building info. In sci-fi and fantasy, world-building is essential. This show has only given us the barest hints of what this world is like outside of the "bloc" they are in. We should know a bit more by now. 

I want to like this show because I like the basic premise, but it's moving so slowly and I really don't care about any of the characters or find them particularly interesting.  And I think it's telling that I think of some of them in terms of old parts - Sawyer, Lori and Jim Brass. 

Is the big reveal going to be that

there aren't any aliens at all or that the aliens are flying around in the little drone things?

I dunno.  I can't find any spoilers, so I don't know what they're doing.  While I overall liked Lost, I don't want to invest a lot of time in this one if it doesn't pick up some pace/interest.  I'm borderline on even finishing the season. 

• Love 1

I think the Yonk's name is a bit much, but not because it's on the nose (since Yoknapatawfa county was set in Mississippi, not Louisiana), but because it's hardly the type of name bar flies could pronounce while in their cups. And a bit elitist.

This episode really started me thinking about themes. In Blind Spot, there were a number of "blind spots" throughout the episodes, from each of the different perspectives. In this episode, I thought it was more about how the same act/behavior could be interpreted in diametrically opposed ways.

It was Quayle's conclusion that Katie was a double agent made me take notice and rethink some of what I'd seen. Since we know Katie isn't a double agent (incompetent and stupid, maybe - calling Broussard to come get Snyder when her husband was at best 5 to 10 minutes from coming back - unless they were next door what the heck did she expect?) But although he was wrong, the pieces did look like she'd given up information to the government.

Then there was Will, whose suspicion of Katie was often subtle. But when he moved Snyder to under the bar (which I think happened after he sent Katie to the basement). If Katie questioned him about it, he could easily explain it that if she didn't know, then she couldn't be forced into unwillingly revealing his location. But I think he did it because he thought (based on her trying to shove Snyder out of the bar earlier) she'd give him up in a second.

His conversation with Katie at the end had a lot of levels. I couldn't help noticing that rather than saying the executed guy was just a radio announcer, which he knew, he told her the deliberate lie that Geronimo was an ad campaign. I think because he was suspicious of her involvement and trying to get her to rethink her alliances. (btw, Katie's hilarious expression of concentrated blown mind thinking made me expect to see smoke coming out of her ears). Then the subtle "rethink your options" was topped with the on the surface consoling statement that Homeland would watch everything from now on, but it was also an effective warning that she was under surveillance.

Snyder's lies were sprinkled with some truths I think.  But I think his comment that there were those who were trying unseat him, who would be worse and more brutal was true. Which started me thinking about Quayle. To me, Quayle has always seemed a little strange as a leader of a rebellion, more of a manager than a leader, with no compassion for the people he's supposedly trying to help free (and no reluctance to put them in harm's way). What if he's one of those trying to overthrow Snyder? And what if Broussard (and the others who joined him as faux red hats) aren't faux at all - but mutineers?

Finally, what got me thinking about looking at things from a different perspective was a combination of three things Snyder said - 1) his obvious lie that he'd been approached after the invasion 2) his statement that the Aliens had massive data on everyone (the rolodex) and 3) his statement about feeling small in the universe.

So I thought, how why would an alien invading force bother to create a database that contained more information about all earth's inhabitants than the NSA has on Americans, much less understand that the provost of a university might be suited to govern people? That requires insight into the human mind and human methods. How could they approach anyone prior to the invasion? Putting it all together, I came up with a theory that we've kind of danced around - and which also explains the name of the show.

What if the "aliens" are indeed humans - but humans from a "homeworld", to which Earth is just an outlying Colony? They'd have reason not to reveal themselves to the public, because looking exactly the same would diminish their overlord status. It would have made it easy to infiltrate and identify key people prior to showing their hand.  It also makes sense that they'd try to destroy or co-opt earthbound humans whose skills like Will's - because perhaps people like Will and his now dead boss could chase down and reveal their agents. Who knows how many are actually on earth, and running things.

I personally find the pace of this show suitable. I think each episode reveals quite a lot.

• Love 14

Katie does seem well read to me and more importantly, if she grew up in the south and attended high school or college there, there's a good chance Faulkner would've been required reading, hence the literary reference to naming the pub.

Who was the woman in the house with the pool that was talking on the phone? Is she the woman who gave Snyder the brush off on the last episode?

What if the "aliens" are indeed humans - but humans from a "homeworld", to which Earth is just an outlying Colony? They'd have reason not to reveal themselves to the public, because looking exactly the same would diminish their overlord status. It would have made it easy to infiltrate and identify key people prior to showing their hand.  It also makes sense that they'd try to destroy or co-opt earthbound humans whose skills like Will's - because perhaps people like Will and his now dead boss could chase down and reveal their agents. Who knows how many are actually on earth, and running things.

I would watch that! I hope TPTB have something up their sleeves and I hope more comes out before the end of this season.

I enjoy the fact that you don't know when Snyder is telling the truth and when he's lying. I think the insignificance line was real (even though he hasn't met the hosts) and I think that his fear of the area outside the colonies is real. I would love to see more of what's outside the wall.

Of course, the only reason we don't know is that the story doesn't give us even as many details about this world as the occupants have themselves.

I don't understand why the resistance wants to take Snyder out.  It wouldn't be a blow to the aliens, I'm sure they good fill his position in seconds. It's like cutting the tail of the snake instead of the head.  Maybe the resistance leader is actually the double agent. Maybe he's working for the people who want to depose Snyder and move someone else in. The resistance leader and Snyder are cut from different sides of the same cloth (I love a good mixed metaphor).

Edited by tvsoothesthespirit
  • Love 2

I'm not sure taking out Snyder accomplishes nothing.  I mean if someone assassinates a President in the US, we have a new President immediately but that doesn't mean people aren't greatly affected.  At the very least, it sends a message that the Resistance has some power and can get to a person of some authority.  Not everyone in power is safe.  And I'm probably giving the show way too much credit, but maybe the Resistance wants a more brutal leader.  That would be a call to action for a lot of people who felt relatively safe before.  If the leadership is harsher, they might feel there is something worth fighting for that they didn't feel before.

I am continually annoyed with the husband not knowing what the wife is up to.  I'd feel like it was more believable if it had lasted only a couple of episodes.  I guess I have a hard time believing they are so close and in love but she isn't sharing that part of her life with him.  They could probably be a help to each other as well.

• Love 2

I had to laugh for a moment during the ambush.  You guys are taking down a convoy with paintball guns?  But then their idea was useful after all, even if poorly done. 

What if the "aliens" are indeed humans - but humans from a "homeworld", to which Earth is just an outlying Colony?

That's quite possible, but their choice of urban LA for a colony is rather puzzling.  Generally the colonizers would put their people in areas that would produce something of value to them, rather than subsidizing a huge metro area with all its attendant needs; health care, food, water, power, etc.  The "factory" might serve this purpose, but what they have is a large, unwilling population living in fear of their overseers and their henchmen.  It's a recipe for eventual large scale revolt, unless the population is willing to live with it with the hope that things will change down the line.  The parallels with American slavery are evident.

The scene with the woman on the phone gave up some information there.  Either she was looking over toward the Santa Monica Colony, or the LA Colony does extend down to the ocean, as the wall does.  I wonder how they control travel over the ocean. 

I kind of like the idea of the Red Hat mutineers.  It would explain how they obtained the equipment, and Snyder's assholery certainly would provide the motivation.  I'm glad he has been exposed to the possibility that not everyone likes him.  Speaking of the mutineers, a heavy metal CD?  Did the aliens do away with all the iProducts?  The bastards!

• Love 2

I had to laugh for a moment during the ambush.  You guys are taking down a convoy with paintball guns?

Yes, because 10 guys with paintball guns are much more sensible than one guy with a bucket!

• Love 3

Who was the woman in the house with the pool that was talking on the phone? Is she the woman who gave Snyder the brush off on the last episode?

Yes that was the same woman. Her name is Helena Goldwyn and it was revealed this episode that she is the Chief of Staff to the Governor-General. She first appeared in the previous episode, but was mentioned once or twice prior. She is played my Ally Walker.

Assuming Synder was telling the truth about the seven colonies, where could they be? Assuming major population centers then that is San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle plus two more.

The scene with the woman on the phone gave up some information there.  Either she was looking over toward the Santa Monica Colony, or the LA Colony does extend down to the ocean, as the wall does.  I wonder how they control travel over the ocean.

She also referred to New York in the present tense so there is at least one colony there.

One possible goof I noticed, in last week's episode, I'm pretty sure they put the hood on Geronimo at the same time they gagged him. In news report they show him getting the hood on the gallows.

• Love 1

I think they really are ALIEN aliens.  When Phyllis was last on the phone she said they have a strange sense of time and she didn't have any reason to lie about meeting them.

I do think Snyder is lying about being initially contacted after the Arrival.  I think some things were happening before and he somehow managed to become a part of it.  He agreed to be the good little puppet in exchange for power and a cushy lifestyle (cushier than being the provost of Stanford with a PhD in economics, if he was being honest about that).  

I am continually annoyed with the husband not knowing what the wife is up to.  I'd feel like it was more believable if it had lasted only a couple of episodes.

After Sawyer pulled Snyder out of the cabinet, Sawyer gave Fucking Lori a look that I interpreted as, "You really are working for the resistance and you're the one giving them their leaks," and Fucking Lori had a look of bug-eyed guilt that she knew that she's busted.  But later they had their domestic scene where they still look happy if tense.  Then Sawyer told her the ad campaign lie - wasted opportunity. I would have fed her some false information in the hopes that 1) it would set up the resistance (however few are left) to get busted and 2) prove that Fucking Lori is the leak, if only to himself so he can stop giving her real information.

The resistance leader and Snyder are cut from different sides of the same cloth

Yup. He was just as quick to unilaterally negate a deal (not harm Sawyer) as Snyder is.  I'm with those who think he might be a mole for the collaborators - his resistance operations are petty, stupid, and wasteful, and he thinks nothing of threatening and double-crossing his own supposed allies and getting them killed. If he's not intentionally trying to discredit the resistance as a part of a collaborator spy operation, he's doing a great job of it accidentally.

• Love 5

I might be over-analyzing this, but since they have shown us that nearly everything is in short supply--fresh food, gasoline, liquor, coffee, etc etc, why is Quayle puffing away on cigarettes? Wouldn't they be on the luxury/restricted list, if they were available at all? Hmmmmm.

• Love 1

I didn't think I could hate a main character on a show more than I do Mike Ross on Suits. But that was a gradual thing that happened over several seasons, and there was so much else to love about the show. Then along comes Will, who was already annoying me by episode 2, and now here we are at episode 6, and I simply cannot stand him. I hate how he's thrown himself wholeheartedly into this new job, when just being marginally competent would have gotten him by. He's chasing after the Resistance fighters with all the zealotry and dedication of a true believer, and feels righteous indignation when they attempt to hurt him or his family. He even gets angry about them trying to take on/out his bosses, who are aiding and abetting the enemy. He's been assimilated and doesn't even seem to see it, or care. Like it's such a mystery why he might be a target now. Like he's forgotten what the rebels are fighting for, and why he should be trying to help them. He accepts and even welcomes having his family and business being spied on.  He gets mad at his son for showing signs of interest in the rebellion, which is what he should have been doing all along, instead of hiding like a coward, and then joining the enemy. Instead he's compilibroadcastng a Resistance arrest record that should have him promoted to captain any day now, destroyed at least one family, gotten people  tortured and killed, and helpfully identified where the rebellion headquarters likely are. .Ugh. This guy. I don't know if I can stand to watch him  week after week take out more and more rebels every single episode, while demonstrating not one iota of remorse and zero self-awareness.

The only reason I'm watching at this point is for Broussard. That guy is a Boss. That actor rocks every scene he's in. Why he's not in charge of the Resistance, I don't know. He's cold as ice when he needs to be but not without compassion. It makes no sense to me how poorly trained some of the resistance fighters seem to be when he's in charge of them. I know it's a plot device, but do we have to make them so incompetent? They're the storm troopers of the Colony. Can't get to Snyder despite their superior numbers and surprise attack. Can't hit the broad side of a barn. Storm the bar 1-2 at a time and stand exposed in the sunlight so they can easily be picked off, etc. I hate when shows try to make the "good guys" look better by making their enemies stupid and ineffectual. 

• Love 7

I didn't think I could hate a main character on a show more than I do Mike Ross on Suits. But that was a gradual thing that happened over several seasons, and there was so much else to love about the show. Then along comes Will, who was already annoying me by episode 2 [...] .Ugh. This guy. I don't know if I can stand to watch him  week after week take out more and more rebels every single episode, while demonstrating not one iota of remorse and zero self-awareness. 

Agreed on all.  Except I will continue to keep watching, but really.  He drank that Kool-Aid really quick, and then smacked his lips!  Unfortunately, he's wearing Plot Armour so it is unlikely he will be justly rewarded for his sins.  Everyone around him, maybe (with the exception of Fucking Lori, who is probably also armoured), but not Will.  

Bentley - I hate him because HE CAN'T GET A FREAKING HAIRCUT!! It looks like some alien chewed his damned hair off.

Yeh, and they didn't leave it looking chewed and good.  They left it looking chewed and yard-broom-ish.  And I think they spat on it when they were chewing.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

I do think Snyder is lying about being initially contacted after the Arrival.  I think some things were happening before and he somehow managed to become a part of it.  He agreed to be the good little puppet in exchange for power and a cushy lifestyle (cushier than being the provost of Stanford with a PhD in economics, if he was being honest about that).  

I don't believe a word Snyder says at this point. The "sincere" Snyder that Katie (I originally typed Lori) was talking to is totally out of character with everything else we have seen from him. And, while I once again might be reading too much into this, his story about being the Provost at Stanford sounded compelling, but we have a good idea of how competent one has to be in order to hold that post. Her name is former Provost Condi Rice. And Snyder clearly isn't as competent as Condi Rice (setting aside that whole "Bin Laden determined to strike the US" thing).

After his "this is family. . . red tape. . . I'm working with governor general. . ." speech, I am certain Snyder is lying about Charlie.

I

• Love 1

I don't believe a word Snyder says at this point. The "sincere" Snyder that Katie (I originally typed Lori) was talking to is totally out of character with everything else we have seen from him. And, while I once again might be reading too much into this, his story about being the Provost at Stanford sounded compelling, but we have a good idea of how competent one has to be in order to hold that post. Her name is former Provost Condi Rice. And Snyder clearly isn't as competent as Condi Rice (setting aside that whole "Bin Laden determined to strike the US" thing).

After his "this is family. . . red tape. . . I'm working with governor general. . ." speech, I am certain Snyder is lying about Charlie.

I'd forgotten that about Condi Rice. Thank you for reminding us. Though I don't know that every provost has been as competent as she was. But yes, Snyder is a lying liar who lies. Which seems pretty standard for politicians in general.

Riiight, Katie is a double-agent.

So, that must be why she called(like Will couldn't figure that out) Quayle-Broussard, The Resistance, to let 'em know that Proxy Snyder was snivelly and shakily holed up at HER bar, The Yonk.  Katie didn't have to call. Broussard et al all had no idea of Snyder's location. In addition, Will's former boss met her demise due to Kate's non-surreptitious Intel. As a matter of obvious fact, if not for Lori-Katie, what would have the local Resistance accomplished thus far.

Now, I don't know if Quayle has the hook-up with Resistance both near and far, but based on the viewers limited vision of him, I declare Quayle a nimrod.

Will knows that feckin' Lori-Katie is aiding La Résistance. And, she knows it. Yes, indeed, he is subtly yet emphatically dispensing warning that Eyes Are On Her (for family protection of course).

Uh huh, I agree with some other posters--Katie and Broussard were most definitely 'sleeping together'.

Snyder remains an arse.

Will, that hair may have been full of body in younger years, but, now, it's lacklustre and, actually, strawlike. Get thee to a barber. Now.

• Love 1

clanstarling, you may have deduced Quayle's situation correctly.

If we follow that line of thought, perhaps, Quayle realizes that Broussard is too emotionally attached to Katie and is attempting to sever the bond betwixt the two. Also, earlier, Quayle may have been dismissive of Will other than another tributary of information. However, now, Will is the leader of THAT department and has shown himself to be formidable, well, at least, energetic in wide strategizing and personal combat. The resultant... -- unexpected strong interference. Maybe, a rising Opponent to his (Quayle's) goals/desires.

And, if Quayle's compatriots are part of his political manoeuvring and machinations to garner Snyder's post then Will is not an obtuse assimilated zealous 'turncoat'. IF this is the case, I may be able to unfurl my lips that twist in disgust as Will relentlessly and, apparently, tirelessly runs about in non-stop action and flurry paying no heed to the well-being of friend and neighbor.

P.S.: I want to know more about the events surrounding Lori-Katie('s) and Sawyer-Will('s) missing son.

Edited by BookElitist
  • Love 1

I don't quite buy that Katie was having an affair with Broussard. Her and Will seem a bit too solid for that. Plus I think it a little obvious and a little too much like Lori for the writers to go there. I do wonder if there was some other connection. maybe an old military one for Katie? He could be someone she  knew through her father. He mentioned that he used to come to her bar maybe he was just someone who spilled his guts while drunk? Something else I remember from a few episodes ago is when Katie went by his house she made a comment that made me think she never really been there before. Not to mention Katie basically laughed it off when Phyllis accused her of an affair a few episodes ago. I think he's just smarter than Quayle and realizes screwing over Katie could turn people against them in the long. Any resistance movement dies if it loses popular support and murdering your own people is a good way to do that. 

I am on board with Quayle being a mole although considering his complete lack of normal human social awareness I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually an alien in a skin suit.

I don't think that Will has drunk the Kool-Aid. I think he knows that if he screws up at all, it puts his family in danger and totally ruins his chances of finding Charlie. I think he was upset with his other son because if the broadcast tapes were discovered, they would take the boy away at the very least. I think Will is is quite aware of Katie's actions, hence hiding Snyder after she went into the basement and warning her that they'd be watched closely from now on. He doesn't agree with Snyder's actions about "Geronimo"; he tried to save his friend from being shipped to the factory; and if he's promoted to captain, he has access to the Rolodex. I don't get the impression that he's been assimilated at all. I think he's very cool on the surface - soldier that he is - including not tipping his hand to his wife. If he'd been assimilated, he would have more likely confronted her. But if he agrees with her at heart about the resistance, then not confronting her allows her to continue while he still protects her by doing his job. He's doing what he has to in order to keep his family safe and to find their other son.

• Love 10

I don't quite buy that Katie was having an affair with Broussard. 

It's been repeatedly suggested, but I don't see one shred of evidence to suggest that it is so.  

I don't think that Will has drunk the Kool-Aid.

The script can go either way, but he's been written as if he has.  At least, so far!  He was an ex-FBI agent in hiding.  Then he was discovered, and put to work as an investigator.  But there is no reason for him to be such an efficient investigator.  Since he's been on the job, the resistance has taken a serious pounding, due to his efforts.

He may be suspicious of feckin' Lori, especially since he found the stuff hidden in the vent.  And he's done nothing about it because, well, wife!  But other than that, he's been a relentless and tireless agent for the collaborative administration.

As far as the resistance is concerned, he's a one-man wave of destruction.  The remainder of Homeland Security may as well go on vacation, because in another couple of episodes there will be no resistance left, thanks to Will's unceasing efforts.  

For the writers to suddenly make him out to be the resistance's top, ace double agent, or even Geronimo himself, will be to stretch the plot beyond belief.  

• Love 1

The script can go either way, but he's been written as if he has.  At least, so far!  He was an ex-FBI agent in hiding.  Then he was discovered, and put to work as an investigator.  But there is no reason for him to be such an efficient investigator.  Since he's been on the job, the resistance has taken a serious pounding, due to his efforts.

IIRC, the deal was that before they'd give him Charlie, he'd have to basically crush Geronimo. Which would provide the incentive to be efficient. On the other hand, people who are excellent at their jobs (as he was supposed to be pre-invasion) tend to be those who don't (and can't)half-ass anything.
  • Love 4

I'm gonna be petty: whoever works the makeup and hair on this show needs to be fired. Geez, if a woman has some hair loss in the front, you do not then do hair styles that pull back tightly on the hair in the front. A lot of women who get weaves over a period of time, find that their hairlines start receding. Plus Lori has so much makeup on, it is distracting (her forehead looks botoxed too which is 100% accentuated by the hair tightly pulledback). She looked better on TWD, the wavy bangs work for her face. Now Sawyer, what the F is that mess? It looks like they sawed it off with a sawzall. It is too dark and greazy (yeah I spelled it with a "z" to indicate the extra "greaze").  Personally, Sawyer should have his hair a little lighter and blonder, that looks good on him. He rocked that on Lost. He does not looked good as a greazy "dirty" blonde. 

Oh, wait, about the actual show: Sawyer, totally knows that Lori is in on it. But she "does" have a criminal past, and Sawyer can recognize that with his con-man past, so there you go..but...wait,  you mean the show Colony! Oh, yeah-I think that there may or may not be actual aliens and that if the aliens can take out the entire world in 8 hours, the resistance fighters, are ONLY fighting for control to work with the aliens and are delusional if they think they have any chance against the aliens at all. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Oh, yeah-I think that there may or may not be actual aliens and that if the aliens can take out the entire world in 8 hours, the resistance fighters, are ONLY fighting for control to work with the aliens and are delusional if they think they have any chance against the aliens at all.

This. My thoughts exactly.

IIRC, the deal was that before they'd give him Charlie, he'd have to basically crush Geronimo. Which would provide the incentive to be efficient. On the other hand, people who are excellent at their jobs (as he was supposed to be pre-invasion) tend to be those who don't (and can't)half-ass anything.

Finding Geronimo may be his job, but his goal (finding Charlie) is supposedly far more important to him. He ignored a huge opportunity to achieve that goal by outing Fake Geronimo. Especially since he a)was working on a hunch and didn't really have evidence proving FG wasn't the real thing b) he knew that finding out the whole truth could be dangerous for Bram (I don't remember if he suspected Katie of working with the resistance yet.) and c) his superiors believed he had cracked the case. For me, the idea of Will being driven by a high sense of professionalism is slowly slipping into Will being good at his job because the writers need a plot device to drive the story forward.

I agree that the resistance is kind of weird. They have no idea what they are ultimately resisting. It's one of the reasons I'm sorry they killed off Phyllis. I thought her "We got our asses kicked by a power we can't comprehend so let's make the best of it." viewpoint to be more rational than anyone else on the show. (Except, maybe, Apollo Creed.)

• Love 2

...I guess Executive Director Cuse and assorted showrunners killed off Phyllis due to her awareness of Lori-Kate('s) role as an semi-intrepid spy, the completion of her role in giving the tip-off/heads-up to Sawyer-Will about the li'l woman and, also, to introduce Broussard as member-killer par excellence dans La Résistance. However, Phyllis was the best developING and the most well acted character THUS FAR(Broussard is not shabby but...).  

Golly❗ C'mon Show‼

• Love 1

He had to out Fake Geronimo.  If he went on that he was real and then more Geronimo stuff appeared, he'd look like an idiot and Snyder's crew might pass him over for the more important positions that could get him information about Charlie and open up more opportunities to find his son.  He has to operate as if he's all in.

I don't think he drank the Kool-Aid either.  if he did, they wouldn't need to use Charlie as an incentive for him to work with them, plus the resistance hasn't given him any reason to join their cause.  They say they're fighting the oppressors, yada yada, but all they've done is kill people, a lot of them innocent, and blow up some very poorly chosen targets.     

• Love 3

What seems to be the case to me...The Transitional Authority in the series is the current US government as seen by the kind of people who think Obama is the worth president ever, who's taken "our" country. (Or who see the federal government as ZOG.) Of course the resistance is targeting the TA! Will is the patriotic American who has not yet seen the wisdom in total annihilation of the true enemy, the federal government. His wife will lead him to enlightenment and he will end up spearheading the overthrow of the federal oppressor and bring "our" country back to us. 

Aliens? What aliens?

He had to out Fake Geronimo.  If he went on that he was real and then more Geronimo stuff appeared, he'd look like an idiot and Snyder's crew might pass him over for the more important positions that could get him information about Charlie and open up more opportunities to find his son.  He has to operate as if he's all in.

I think that would be a mistake. Will should have used that quick leverage when he had a chance. History has shown that insurgencies don't rely on the work of a single individual. Even if he did find the "real" Geronimo, the violence was going to continue and the goalposts would continuously move further away.

If I had a dollar for every time the US announced the death of a "top three" member of Al Qaeda, I wouldn't be rich, but I sure would be able to buy a case of really good beer.

• Love 2

They really need to reveal something about the invaders soon. I'm having a hard time believing a civilization that can build a wall that crosses the ocean would need anything that modern humans could provide. 

The resistance does seem rather pathetic. I'm having a hard time understanding what they hope to accomplish. I've seen nothing that earth humans have that could possibly compare to what the invaders have. A space faring race could just drop moon rocks from the sky and decimate cities in the blink of an eye. Or simply build a giant wall and starve people to death.

• Love 1

I think Mr. Mimi reached his breaking point this ep, not sure he'll be back next week. (That might make the show more enjoyable for me though. He was getting pretty frustrated watching this, but doesn't do that silently.) Personally, and apparently I'm increasingly on my own on this, I like the slow build on the alien reveal. I quickly reached a point where I couldn't stand watching "Falling Skies" any more, because it was about the insurrection, which quickly devolves into a war story. Those bore me to tears. I think the idea of having to figure out what's what is a lot more appealing to me. It's more of a mystery or a spy story, which is soooo much more attractive than war stuff.

To me it could easily make sense if communication is down or severely compromised that you not know what happened or who's in control and *that* makes me curious in a way "Falling Skies" didn't and couldn't. It's particularly intriguing in an age when we just grab our phones and google things we want to know. It's hard to remember that mere years ago, you had to get up and go to a library and look it up in a book that could easily be outdated or inaccurate, and no comments section to point that out.

I like the idea that people have to figure out what's going on and what they're doing and how best to move forward, and it seems highly likely that the people in the various positions aren't necessarily good at them, that that will come in time as the right person moves into the job or courses of action become more apparent. Admittedly, that makes for a resistance of questionable competence, but that's something I'd expect to see change over time.

There's an element of the Eastern European countries that got annexed by the Soviet Union here. Like people living in East Germany, figuring out how to navigate the dangers of the Stasi (secret police), all while unsure who might betray them. Look how long it took the resistance in those countries to have just how little success. And then map that scenario onto aliens. That makes the show a lot more believable. Or maybe it's the Russian and they have learned to build better Berlin Walls, and they're gaslighting everyone. The possibilities are interesting.

Other than that, I like Sawyer ok. I really don't like Lori that much (funnily enough, I liked her in season one of "Prison Break"), 50/50 acting and writing on that one. But that's at least 50 percent that could be fixed, so get to it writers. I wish they'd switched the actresses in casting, but can see where AR (the sister) makes a more believable vamp hired in the whatever zone. I like that the obnoxious world building from the pilot (see how terribly difficult their lives are...) got seriously toned down. Basically, no matter how wretched, humans adapt and cope. Ish. I'm also fine with setups that don't involve tons of really awkward exposition about stuff everybody in show should know anyway, so this show hasn't annoyed me on that count. If they could just increase the relatability of a couple of characters (that may need introducing yet, because I'm not sure some of these characters can or should be saved), I wouldn't mind watching things play out a while longer.

• Love 3

Personally, and apparently I'm increasingly on my own on this, I like the slow build on the alien reveal. I quickly reached a point where I couldn't stand watching "Falling Skies" any more, because it was about the insurrection, which quickly devolves into a war story. Those bore me to tears. I think the idea of having to figure out what's what is a lot more appealing to me. It's more of a mystery or a spy story, which is soooo much more attractive than war stuff.

You are not alone.
  • Love 4

I didn't think I could hate a main character on a show more than I do Mike Ross on Suits. But that was a gradual thing that happened over several seasons, and there was so much else to love about the show. Then along comes Will, who was already annoying me by episode 2, and now here we are at episode 6, and I simply cannot stand him. I hate how he's thrown himself wholeheartedly into this new job, when just being marginally competent would have gotten him by. He's chasing after the Resistance fighters with all the zealotry and dedication of a true believer, and feels righteous indignation when they attempt to hurt him or his family. He even gets angry about them trying to take on/out his bosses, who are aiding and abetting the enemy. He's been assimilated and doesn't even seem to see it, or care. Like it's such a mystery why he might be a target now. Like he's forgotten what the rebels are fighting for, and why he should be trying to help them. He accepts and even welcomes having his family and business being spied on.  He gets mad at his son for showing signs of interest in the rebellion, which is what he should have been doing all along, instead of hiding like a coward, and then joining the enemy. Instead he's compilibroadcastng a Resistance arrest record that should have him promoted to captain any day now, destroyed at least one family, gotten people  tortured and killed, and helpfully identified where the rebellion headquarters likely are. .Ugh. This guy. I don't know if I can stand to watch him  week after week take out more and more rebels every single episode, while demonstrating not one iota of remorse and zero self-awareness.

The only reason I'm watching at this point is for Broussard. That guy is a Boss. That actor rocks every scene he's in. Why he's not in charge of the Resistance, I don't know. He's cold as ice when he needs to be but not without compassion. It makes no sense to me how poorly trained some of the resistance fighters seem to be when he's in charge of them. I know it's a plot device, but do we have to make them so incompetent? They're the storm troopers of the Colony. Can't get to Snyder despite their superior numbers and surprise attack. Can't hit the broad side of a barn. Storm the bar 1-2 at a time and stand exposed in the sunlight so they can easily be picked off, etc. I hate when shows try to make the "good guys" look better by making their enemies stupid and ineffectual. 

I think Sawyer being so “dedicated” to his job shows how and why someone can easily become a collaborator. “I want my son back.” “I need medicine for my sick child.” In the grand scheme of things, a resistance member wouldn’t give 2 sh*ts about why. Does this make Sawyer and Fucking Lori any better than someone who’s doing it just for the money and power? I’m not saying it does or doesn’t. It just poses an interesting question to me.

I also think Snyder told some truths and some lies, but, ultimately, he’s a liar who lies. I’m pretty sure he previously said he had never seen the Visitors. Was he lying then or lying now? I’m not sure if this was a writer’s mistake or showing a deliberate lie. Also, he specifically told Sawyer and Fucking Lori that he kept his promises, during their conversation about Charlie. Yet, he clearly broke his promise about Not-Geronimo, directly in front of Sawyer!

I think he told the truth, as he knows it, about medium-picture things, like the number of colonies, some of the structural hierarchy, and that there were worse people gunning for his position. I don’t believe anything about how/when he was contacted for the position or his assurance that HE could get/negotiate for Charlie. I do think his red-tape/massive paperwork comment was true, but I don’t think he has the clout to get the request approved through Helena. His previous job as Provost with a PhD in Econ is plausible. But, it’s so specific that I don’t understand why he’d lie about it, and if he is lying, why that lie, and why put that much thought into it?

Why do the Visitors want specific “types” in specific job positions. The lady on the phone, what did she mean about Snyder’s job performance? It seems that there’s a very specific agenda for the higher-ups involving Snyder, and that it doesn’t matter if he does well or fails. He’s gonna be a patsy for a larger issue.

That was an interesting decision to use that particular type of music (or was that the curfew alarm), when the Resistance Leader said Fucking Lori was a double agent. Traditionally, that music is used to make it clear to the audience that it’s a twist. Is it really a twist, did he genuinely misinterpret Fucking Lori’s actions, or is he full of ish, and has another agenda?

Resistance Leader also told Broussard to remember the chain of command. Broussard is clearly trained in some type of law enforcement/military. Is Resistance Leader too, and is he, literally, Broussard’s superior officer, or is he using a bs form of command structure to organize La Resistance?

I think this show will play better when marathoned on Netflix. One of the issues with this show is that there are so many world-building questions that viewers may have, that it becomes distracting while watching the show. On the plus side, some of these questions do get answered (and way faster than Lost). Yet, I feel like it’s taking too long. This won’t be an issue if the show is marathoned. The writers are leaving things vague, but is this on purpose, or is it a real writing issue?

Please don’t kill Broussard. He’s my eye-candy!

• Love 1

They're doing a good job of showing that none of it would be straightforward. it's easy to say "Liberty or death!" when actual death is not a real option. For these people, it is. So I've got no problem with Will collaborating, or even Snyder (I wonder if he's related to Buffy's old principal, though. Same body type) doing what they have to to stay alive and find a way to make their situation work.

As Will's old boss said, do you think a band of guerrillas (or even a band of real gorillas) is going to hurt the things that beat the world's defenses in eight minutes? This isn't like the French resistance or even occupational Afghanistan -- there's nothing anyone on the ground can physically do to hurt the aliens. So you do the best you can and hope that something, somewhere, gives you a reasonable chance to win. Otherwise, it's just martyrdom, and as romantic as martyrdom often sounds, in the end you're mostly just dead.  

On Falling Skies, they looked like they at least had a chance against the invades. Here, not so much. And in Independence Day, the aliens wanted to kill everyone -- here, the seem to be okay with people living to a degree. So if you've got to make a choice between helping your oppressors or dying (or having your family die, too) helping your oppressors with all you've got doesn't sound like a terrible decision. 

• Love 2

So if you've got to make a choice between helping your oppressors or dying (or having your family die, too) helping your oppressors with all you've got doesn't sound like a terrible decision. 

Sorry, but that sounds like something that was said in the Warsaw Ghetto.  

Are we really supposed to be rooting for Sawyer? I kept hoping he and Snyder would get shot.

Ditto. I've heard all the rationalizations and explanations for why Will is doing what he's doing. It's just not working for me. He's shown more anger towards the resistance fighters than towards the occupiers who have destroyed his life and won't let him have his son back.Maybe the actor isn't strong enough to sell his conflicted feelings, because I don't really see them. It would be so easy to make him more sympathetic. Show him up at night brooding over what he had to do that day. Show him trying to find out what happened to his friend and the family who ended up at the factory. Show him figuring something out (like the secret room located behind the large painting) and NOT saying anything. Show him letting a suspect go before he could be tortured.  I could think of a hundred things they could do to give him layers. Maybe they're counting on the good will most people feel towards Josh Holloway to smooth out the whole "Will is working with the enemy" storyline. Meanwhile, I'll be over here hoping Broussard kills him. 

Also, Will is totally going to sleep with the blonde assistant at some point.

• Love 1

He's shown more anger towards the resistance fighters than towards the occupiers who have destroyed his life and won't let him have his son back.

Except the resistance fighters WERE the ones that destroyed his life by setting off the bomb that let him get caught and identified in the pilot. If it weren't for that bomb, he'd be out looking for his son and none of the subsequent stuff would have happened. 

And, as far as Will's concerned, Snyder did give him a new chance, because he COULD/SHOULD have been sent to the factory for trying to get out. it doesn't mean he has to sympathize with the occupiers, but if you're asking Will who has been better to him, personally, it's been the occupiers much more than the resistance. 

Sorry, but that sounds like something that was said in the Warsaw Ghetto.

It probably was. Would it have been better if EVERYONE had died? Because those were the choices: play along and some might live, or resist and fight and everyone dies. Was Oskar Schindler a bad person for not doing more? Or did he do the best he could? 

I'm not defending the occupiers (or the Nazis). But there's been nothing shown -- NOTHING -- that would make anyone think for a moment that the resistance has any shot at winning. This is BSG in the minseries -- all you can do is what you can to survive. Will has a wife, he has a daughter and he hopefully still has a son. Those are his primary responsibilities, and if he's doing what he can to protect them, then there's nothing wrong or evil in that. 

• Love 1

Would it have been better if EVERYONE had died? Because those were the choices: play along...

My point is, there is no indication that Sawyer is playing along.  He doesn't give the impression that he is proceeding under duress, doing what has to be done and no more, secretly waiting for an opportunity to act against the administration without being caught...  No.  As I've said before, the way he's being portrayed, he drank the Kool-Aid and smacked his lips!  

• Love 1

If my darkest suspicions are correct, the transitional authority is a stand-in for the current US government with its commitment to alien agendas instead of the American people. And Will's commitment is the normal everyday acceptance of the legitimacy of the US government held by most citizens, and part of the arc is how he comes to realize that the government is the enemy.