Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

wait so there's gonna be an MJ on Sunday? Did Mika say 9 a.m. or 9 p.m.? it was confusing? also, if we are confused, probably normal humans are also confused? why are they so bad at promoting stuff aaaah

• Love 1
9 hours ago, charmed1 said:

One of the few times I’m actually watching the show as opposed to listening to it over the radio. The irony of Mika ribbing Tim Ryan for wearing a hoodie while she’s wearing blue jeans.

Lol it one of the rare times I was watching instead of listening and I was getting annoyed I could only see the side of people’s faces.

I didn’t see that but if Tim Ryan had said “beats a bathrobe!” it would’ve been amazing.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 10/31/2022 at 9:02 AM, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Every time!  And Muss go for Moscow.  Several others as well.

Regrettably “election” gets changed too 😖

The worst but my favorite was “the retarded, retired general” with no apology, just pretended it didn’t happen?!

• LOL 2

I'm watching my DVR of the 9 a.m. hour from this morning and they are doing a segment on Daylight Savings Time and this Professor talked about light affecting your mental health seasonally etc. I hope this is not tmi but I think I have this, ooof. 🥴 I honestly thought I was the only one who felt this way. every winter the darkness just drains me, I miss the sun so much. it's hard to explain. some days it feels so heavy, and it's usually in winter.

well not to be a boring downer ----> I love this Andrea Hailey lady. Honestly it's always always the grassroots people who are the most inspirational and giving the most hope 🥰 you know ultimately probably I think everything is gonna be ok, because people will always have the fighting spirit in them

On 11/4/2022 at 2:52 PM, neona2 said:

I'm watching my DVR of the 9 a.m. hour from this morning and they are doing a segment on Daylight Savings Time and this Professor talked about light affecting your mental health seasonally etc. I hope this is not tmi but I think I have this, ooof. 🥴 I honestly thought I was the only one who felt this way. every winter the darkness just drains me, I miss the sun so much. it's hard to explain. some days it feels so heavy, and it's usually in winter.

well not to be a boring downer ----> I love this Andrea Hailey lady. Honestly it's always always the grassroots people who are the most inspirational and giving the most hope 🥰 you know ultimately probably I think everything is gonna be ok, because people will always have the fighting spirit in them

I saw on msnbc that the “special” Morning Joe was Sunday at 9pm. 

Are you talking about Seasonal Affective Disorder? It’s totally a thing. See a doctor of course but there are like special lamps you can get for that. Rachel Maddow made a big deal last Dec.21 about how now it was going to get lighter each day. She did a whole thing about it it which I thought was odd since it was a obvious? I love the cold and darkness personally, but I know most most people don’t.

ETA: I don’t think I was clear-while SAD is a thing I also think tons of people far prefer the light and heat of the summer for whatever reason. YMMV.

Edited by jenkait
  • Like 1

Okay you guys, I’m up here north of 49 and having to stop myself from pacing and wringing my hands all weekend. There is nothing I can do but I feel so anxious for my neighbors. 

Morning Joe had Adrienne Elrod on two days in a row, she’s a democratic strategist so of course that’s logical…she always seems like a super sweet person, pleasant and nice. HOWEVER she is is so positive about EVERYTHING and such a cheerleader that right now she just makes me feel worse!  It’s like the friend who says “I’m sure it’s not cancer” when you have a big tumor or something 😖 like this isn’t helping. I think Tuesday going to be bad, it already is bad to have gotten this far but a tiny part of me dares to hope…?  This totally uneven tennis game in my head is SO EXHAUSTING.

I really like so many of the D people and it will rather break my heart if they lose.  And I don’t want you guys to lose your democracy, this is absolutely unthinkable!  Ughh I wish I could knock myself out for the next three days.

FWIW, not so much in my neck of the woods luckily, but a good chunk of people up are now behaving like Trump fans and some provincial govts are taking full advantage (*cough* Oakville, right?).  Never thought I’d see the day but here we are.  I was fully confident the world was getting better when Obama was elected; I was such a complete fool.

Oh, and the Morning Joe special is like one hour, super lame. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 4

Did they forget about the audience again this morning? I got nothing out of segment with Andy Cohen. Joe and Mika over talked Andy and each other the entire time. I still enjoy many interviews but am tired of this annoying habit.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

When Joe's shouting at us I wonder if the rest of the table has to sit there in rapt attention hanging on his every golden word or if they're all catching up on their devices until it blows over.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

WELL. 

0-lca1.gif

Joe & Mika & all live in studio w a live audience today!! Joe is bouncing off the walls (SAME!!), Mika is kinda subdued and quiet. I just woke up after staying up w Rachel et al but on MJ right now Willie, Lemire, Mara Gay, Barnicle, and Woodward

I have to say, all the snarking on Kari Lake is making me nervous. don't tempt the wrath from the whatever from high atop the thing!!! 

it cracks me up that all these men are shocked! and stunned! that there were tons of women who didn't pick up their phones form unknown numbers. 🥴

• LOL 4

I have never seen a dude so hell-bent on interrupting absolutely everyone just so he could talk about a job he quit.

1 hour ago, neona2 said:

I have to say, all the snarking on Kari Lake is making me nervous. don't tempt the wrath from the whatever from high atop the thing!!!  

Go out, turn around three times and spit!

• Fire 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

I have never seen a dude so hell-bent on interrupting absolutely everyone just so he could talk about a job he quit.

Oh my god! He asks Jen Psaki a question, I was really interested to hear her answer, she got out maybe 2.5 words before he not only began talking over her, but physically put his hand out to gesture that he was about to talk over her. Nobody cares about your race from 30 years ago, Joe. Let people talk.

I don’t know if this is a regular occurrence, but for the first 10 minutes, Mika had her giant purse sitting atop the desk. I thought I was mistaken until she finally put it down only to take out her makeup bag and left that out for the rest of the segment.

• Applause 3
  • Love 3

charmed1 - I saw the tussle with the bags; frankly, she seemed like she had been on a bender. That Godforsaken huge, saggy, baggy black sweater didn’t help. Joe was the familiar beady-eyed, loud, bragging egomaniac, cutting off everyone on the panel. His smugness was off the charts; sadly they had a wonderful panel put together that we never got to really hear in depth. Over four hours. I could be wrong because I didn’t stick around.

If CNN just had a halfway decent show - one that didn’t feature seemingly frequent host shakeups - they might give MJ a run for the money regarding ratings. And they work way cheaper than The Twins.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I was really impressed with Jen Psaki today on MJ and yesterday on the special coverage, i love that they are bringing her in like this. When is her show actually gonna happen?? they keep introducing her as a host?

Also on MJ today both Symone Sanders & Huma Abedin!! I don't think there have ever been this many women on one MJ, this must be some sort of record. 

And Jewel!!! both music segments were just so exquisitely gorgeous! but not gonna lie, underappreciated by that audience, she had to tell them when to applaud ahhhh. Joe and Mika and Willie were just sort of hanging awkwardly at the sides and the audience seemed sleepy, hmm, well.   

all this special coverage is so much fun. I wish it could always be this good, i don't really see why it can't be, maybe it's too expensive. I kept thinking the whole of yesterday it's crazy how good Rachel is, just effortlessly driving the conversation, including everyone in it, keeping everyone's spirit up, and reading out result after result after result completely indefatigably for hours and hours and hours.

6 hours ago, chick binewski said:

Go out, turn around three times and spit!

I turned, I cursed, I spat, it froze!!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Kemper said:

Mediaite has an article on new opportunities for The Twins. Would “The Hosts” thread be the place to discuss?

I had to laugh when Scarbro complained that he finds the 4-hour show (3 of which it seems he's somewhere off-screen) too "physically exhausting."

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Remember that time Elise Jordan decided that it would be a good idea to interview  Pittsburgh area Trump voters?

Fetterman, the Democratic nominee for senator, won the county by 28 points

Shapiro, the Democratic nominee for governor, won the county by 39 points.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

watching this morning's show, and Ed Luce just said "the coming weeks will be like a schadenfreude bubble bath" <---- ahahaha, omg.

UM, Ed, I think you mean SCHADENFREUDESCHAUMBAD. this needs to be an official word from now on, which shouldn't be a problem, Germans seem to randomly make up words all the time

we need it after teh cold-ass weltschmerz-shower of the past few years.

giphy.gif

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

Today on Morning Joe, Mika reads MAGA, reciting an article from The Atlantic in her imperious "Joe's off today" tone.

I wish I never had to hear Scarborough, Mika, Katty Kay, or any of them ever say "own the libs" again, like elitists trying to prove they have their fingers on the pulse of all the lesser humans.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5

well, I don't think that's true, she & Willie did great today, but definitely in terms of logistics, MJ in general does seem kinda stretched thin?

there's the daily 8.30 rerun, a lot of days they're not present there with guests, they all rarely do a full week on set together etc ---> I don't even mean that in a judgy way, just in the sense that 4 hours is already seems uhhh slightly inhumane and unmanageable, so how would doing extra prime time stuff even work? 🥴 

And how could they ensure the content would be at its best, quality-wise, when already now, some days it's not so great because they are stressed/not present/in Florida, etc. I mean, the past week was great but not every week is like this.

at least that's one thing that can be said for the Rachel situation, we all miss her on weeknights, but at least she was realistic about what she could humanly and logistically handle in order to really give her 100% best when she is actually there, sometimes that matters more imo.

ETA: link to the article https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/morning-joe-msnbc-primetime-specials-1235427945/

Edited by neona2
4 hours ago, tres bien said:

If the rumor is true that someone has the bright idea to give Joe and Mika some primetime specials I say go for it. Mika looks increasing bad  in the morning 

It was rough today.   The contouring people probably had to come in early.

• LOL 3

image.png.5660ecab5f9e361ed42001308ab3a5b6.png

this awkwardly astronomical distance between Mika & Willie kinda cracked me up! they kept putting them in split screens while sitting right next to each other lmao. I mean it's a different dynamic from Joe and Mika, for obvious reasons, but also it would be okay to act like actual humans? and honestly I think it's nice and healthy for Mika & Willie to have a co-hosting rapport outside of The Joe Show. bless their hearts. 

I found the Operation Mend segment really profoundly moving. Adrienne & Joanna especially were so damn impressive. i love that Willie is on the board of this things, but not surprising bc as already established, he is a perfect and adorable human.

Edited by neona2
  • Love 2

I don’t think SNL parodies MJ anymore. But if they did…..can you imagine what they could do with Meeka and that distracting, rummaging in and moving around those two bags the other day?  Every professional woman reporter, whether on-camera or in print, weeps.  To regular viewers it is just Wednesday.

Edited by Kemper
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 11/8/2022 at 12:59 AM, SG429 said:

When Joe's shouting at us I wonder if the rest of the table has to sit there in rapt attention hanging on his every golden word or if they're all catching up on their devices until it blows over.

probably the latter ---> tbh I think *this* is the thing that should be an SNL parody

~opening scene~

Joe starts rant

*cut to* Mika gets up and goes for a run around the block *cut to* Donny Deutsch staring into monitor while flexing muscles *cut to* Katty Kay effortlessly solving world problems

*cut to* Joe still ranting *cut to* Mika still running *cut to* Ed Luce soaking in Schadenfreude! Schaumbad! while sipping champagne *cut to* Willie Geist updating resume *cut to* Jonathan Lemire planning vacation he'll never go on

*cut to* Joe still rambling *cut to* Mika still running *cut to* Meacham asleep due to self-hypnosis *cut to* Beschloss wiping dust off books

*cut to* Barnicle, looking pretty 🥰 *cut to* Mika still running *cut to* Andrew Ross Sorkin texting his mom *cut to* Katty Kay, deservedly eating croissant after having Solved All World Problems

*cut to* Joe winding up rant *cut to* Mika arriving breathlessly at Joe's side

~ Brady Brunch Screen of everyone looking totally normal and innocent ~

*cut to* Jonathan Lemire: "You're absolutely right, Joe!"

come onnnnn SNL, it's literally all we waaaaant

• Like 1
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, neona2 said:

probably the latter ---> tbh I think *this* is the thing that should be an SNL parody

~opening scene~

Joe starts rant

*cut to* Mika gets up and goes for a run around the block *cut to* Donny Deutsch staring into monitor while flexing muscles *cut to* Katty Kay effortlessly solving world problems

*cut to* Joe still ranting *cut to* Mika still running *cut to* Ed Luce soaking in Schadenfreude! Schaumbad! while sipping champagne *cut to* Willie Geist updating resume *cut to* Jonathan Lemire planning vacation he'll never go on

*cut to* Joe still rambling *cut to* Mika still running *cut to* Meacham asleep due to self-hypnosis *cut to* Beschloss wiping dust off books

*cut to* Barnicle, looking pretty 🥰 *cut to* Mika still running *cut to* Andrew Ross Sorkin texting his mom *cut to* Katty Kay, deservedly eating croissant after having Solved All World Problems

*cut to* Joe winding up rant *cut to* Mika arriving breathlessly at Joe's side

~ Brady Brunch Screen of everyone looking totally normal and innocent ~

*cut to* Jonathan Lemire: "You're absolutely right, Joe!"

come onnnnn SNL, it's literally all we waaaaant

Brilliant! It's the updated McLaughlin Group (WRONG!) parody. Open it by establishing each character with a question from Joe, then cutting them off, and here we go. And a great payoff at the end - always an SNL challenge.

• Love 5
On 11/10/2022 at 9:25 AM, xaxat said:

Remember that time Elise Jordan decided that it would be a good idea to interview  Pittsburgh area Trump voters?

I feel used by Morning Joe and other shows.  The repeated exposure to "voter panels" (a la Elise Jordan), diner visits and freak-show man-on-the-street interviews over the past six years, has conditioned me to believe that the majority of people in America are hateful, gullible and stupid, which in turn has caused me to give up all hope for the future.   I see now that I have been misled.

• Hugs 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

i think I probably f-ed up a bit (deservedly) in the phrasing of my other comments, but I wanted to say, I was a bit disappointed with the pedestrian MSNBC announcement of the senate on Saturday. No MSNBC music etc. when it happened

And despite huge-ass turnout from women and young voters, there was no televised celebration including those groups despite the obvious effects on the future of the senate and the future of democracy ---> so in terms of tee-vee coverage, including Morning Joe,  it was slightly disappointing, that's all

Edited by neona2
  • Love 2

Every morning, Joe has dogged Katie Hobbs for not debating her opponent and if I’m not mistaken, not coming on his show. This morning, instead of offering a mea culpa, he blamed other people who were telling him things “behind the scenes.” LOL

• Mind Blown 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, charmed1 said:

Every morning, Joe has dogged Katie Hobbs for not debating her opponent and if I’m not mistaken, not coming on his show. This morning, instead of offering a mea culpa, he blamed other people who were telling him things “behind the scenes.” LOL

Joe used to complain on a regulae basis about President Obama not inviting him & Mika to stay at the White House  when he was President. Joe offered him an exclusive interview on morning Joe , but Obama politely declined.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 4

I stopped watching after 7 minutes of Chris Matthews braying about what an effective, powerful speech Trump made last night, how his anger will appeal to all the forgotten people of the United States, and how Biden should now beware because Trump is keeping a record of all his gaffes. 

Textbook example of a media personality being kicked to the curb by his side of the aisle, then trying to make a comeback by ingratiating himself with the other side (Chris Cuomo much?).  Maybe he's fishing for an invitation to Florida.   What is it the media used to say about performances like this?   He's "playing to an audience of one."

Edited by millennium
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2

Lasted 34 minutes today, right up until Mika trotted out her impression of Nancy Pelosi sarcastically clapping for Trump at the State of the Union address.   Scarborough's AWOL today, so Mika is unchained, free to be the overbearing hostess who MUST be the wittiest, most clever person at the party.   

I barely survived her tongue-lashing of Republicans who failed to give Nancy Pelosi her due respect during her speech yesterday, especially as Mika demanded "Who raised you?   Who raised you to be like this?" in a parrot-like repetition (although to be fair Mika looks more like a cockatoo) of a rhetorical her husband falls back on far too frequently. 

As the minutes crawled by Mika steadily raised her voice to be heard above the others at the table, while Eugene Robinson dutifully punctuated her every sentence with a throaty guffaw.   Emboldened, Mika extended her arms and started doing the Nancy Pelosi trained seal clap, eyeballing the guests with a frightening expression that shrieked AMIRITE?  AMIRITE? 

That was it for me.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

Of course, Chris Matthews is AGAIN at the table. Why, MSNBC, must you continue to torture us with his whiny voice? WHY???? 😡😡😡😡😡

I thought he'd finally be gone, but, like a bad penny, he keeps popping up!  Next, he'll have Tiffany's open weekend spot.  OMG - sorry to put that out in the Universe. 

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 1

When I tuned in Meeka looked hastily put together; tuned back around 8:30 and she looked much more streamlined. Then Chris Matthews popped up and I was done. I have a feeling he is being pushed by The Twins; and the network is caving.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Kemper said:

When I tuned in Meeka looked hastily put together; tuned back around 8:30 and she looked much more streamlined. Then Chris Matthews popped up and I was done. I have a feeling he is being pushed by The Twins; and the network is caving.

Will Mark Halperin be next?

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1

I don't watch MJ much now, but I tuned in this morning and I was shocked (SHOCKED!, I tell ya!), at how professional and competent Mika was.   I didn't watch the whole show, but she didn't make any flubs and I liked her professional-looking attire with the blue turtleneck and black jacket.   I think she does much better without the beady-eyed blowhard baggage sitting next to her.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

I thought he'd finally be gone, but, like a bad penny, he keeps popping up!  Next, he'll have Tiffany's open weekend spot.  OMG - sorry to put that out in the Universe. 

UGGH. Isn't one blowhard (the namesake of their 6-10 AM show) at the network enough???? 

• LOL 3

image.png.4ccf7498f3e6b919791da788d5479583.png

I'm cracking up because that's not Samuel Adams, MJ people, that's Copley's portrait of Paul Revere #awkward It's at the MFA in Boston

i've been on a total news!break! until today because I'm too scared of having to watch endless footage of you-know-who, cannot deal with the sensory assault of all that rn 🥴how has it been, has it been constant, or? honestly too scared to check my DVR

I did watch MJ this morning though and i thought Mika did great, though a bit stressed maybe. it was nice to see them all in DC Rivendell

Edited by neona2
  • Like 1
On 11/16/2022 at 9:13 PM, millennium said:

I stopped watching after 7 minutes of Chris Matthews braying about what an effective, powerful speech Trump made last night, how his anger will appeal to all the forgotten people of the United States, and how Biden should now beware because Trump is keeping a record of all his gaffes. 

Textbook example of a media personality being kicked to the curb by his side of the aisle, then trying to make a comeback by ingratiating himself with the other side (Chris Cuomo much?).  Maybe he's fishing for an invitation to Florida.   What is it the media used to say about performances like this?   He's "playing to an audience of one."

Why doesn't Mr. Matthews go join the bitter, sour and joyless folks over at Fox "News"? He'd fit right in.

• Applause 2

now cautiously trying to catch up, and I gotta be fair ---> actually,  in terms of former-guy unnecessary!visual!torture! it's not so bad, they're handling this surprisingly well, in the sense of not letting it take over everything.

I honestly thought it was gonna be 2016 all over again 🥴

This part though --->

image.png.031bd6cc204d57a7710932e02f3e8df7.png

Literally dying at the CHYRON!! and all their adorable FACES!!! ahahahaha

Is this real life, good god.

Also the Florida-man bit. Florida man makes announcement! LMAO.

You know, whenever I read the Florida-man headlines, I always think 90% of them are about Joe. Eg Florida-man yells at inanimate objects. Florida-man shoots at hurricane. Florida-man throws alligator thru window at Wendy's. They are *all* Joe

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

Everyone is off today

Willie hosting alone, but not even in studio, just the Basilica of the Annunciation. It's probably gonna be like this boring all week I guess.

Barnicle looks cute

Colorado Springs so heartbreaking 

• Love 1

How come this show never has guest hosts anymore? There are literally clips of like Nicolle and High-lemann subbing back in the day. But now when hosts are AWOL it just gets shaved down and reduced and impoverished.

there was that one week this summer where Lemire was just literally by himself --->

I *like* Lemire but it was one lil dude doing a 4-person job by himself. No cohost, no nothing

Other shows you got Jason Johnson filling in for Joy, Ali Velshi being a badass whenever someone is on vacation, Yasmin showing up and knocking it out of the park, etc, etc

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Guest host? For Joe’s show? 😂 I don’t think that will ever happen - he or she might do a great job. So considered a threat/rival. Besides, bringing in a guest could be deemed as the network not having confidence in the regulars being able to handle things. And yes, I am over-thinking.

• Thanks 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Yeah that was pretty grim this AM, especially for a freaking four-hour show! It was like a million years ago but I remember when Savannah Gurthrie and/or Norah O’Donnell would guest host with Willie and it was so much fun to watch.  I feel like “it takes a village” to  carry this show if they want it to be so long and such a big deal. I like Lemire but I’m just smh at him getting stuck with the show so often.

I adore Joyce Vance and Barbara McQuade!  I have to listen to their podcast more often.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, neona2 said:

now cautiously trying to catch up, and I gotta be fair ---> actually,  in terms of former-guy unnecessary!visual!torture! it's not so bad, they're handling this surprisingly well, in the sense of not letting it take over everything.

I honestly thought it was gonna be 2016 all over again 🥴

This part though --->

image.png.031bd6cc204d57a7710932e02f3e8df7.png

Literally dying at the CHYRON!! and all their adorable FACES!!! ahahahaha

Is this real life, good god.

Also the Florida-man bit. Florida man makes announcement! LMAO.

You know, whenever I read the Florida-man headlines, I always think 90% of them are about Joe. Eg Florida-man yells at inanimate objects. Florida-man shoots at hurricane. Florida-man throws alligator thru window at Wendy's. They are *all* Joe

I can easily picture Joe on his front porch, yelling at kids to stay off his lawn. 😉😁😂

• LOL 4