Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Mika struggled during the last segment to read the words "Pope Francis"

At 8 57 am. she called him Franchez.

Joe took off his glasses for the last segment.

Rev Al supports police reform.

Kasie crossed her arms like her mentor Mika !

• LOL 7
(edited)
7 hours ago, oakville said:

Richard Haas is worried about the Taliban.

He has 3 globes in his office to show his knowledge of world affairs.

i bet all 3 are old-ass globes that have the USSR, Ceylon and Abyssinia on them. And at least one is a Lenox Globe, hic sunt dracones!!!! I hate that they are so allergic to regional experts gaaah, this Afghan withdrawal is a big deal for so many actual humans, i wish they would stfu about strategic interests for 3 seconds to talk about the f-ing human tragedy about to go down

i woke up at 7.15 to see Kurt B in a crumpled shirt surrounded by liquor bottles ---> i sympathize, actual 5th morning mood, but it was worth it

only highlights: my girl Alexi!!! back full force, Rev Al's resplendent tie-game, and Ed Luce's parents' adorable vintage music room - hilariously he apologized for his parents being much much more interesting than he is haha

ETA: if the..."box system"? is hierarchical now, I object to Lemire getting the 3rd spot on top when *Kasie* is actually there?? like how are these decisions made? she's been there way longer and actually works at msnbc?? so why isn't she nr 3? of course I also object to Joe in the huuuuge-ass main box by himself, being all pompous Hans Holbein Henry VIII, for unexplained reasons, while previous co-host Mika is exiled to a random side-box, again for unexplained reasons gaaah. idk mainly I just miss the table where there was no hierarchy *cries*

Edited by neona
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I never pay that much attention re: who's where on the MJ Squares. I guess Joe gets his spot on top since it's his show. Lemire is usually the only one who is actually out hustling for stories on a regular basis so maybe he gets a higher seat. Kasie has her own show and frankly, I don't know why she's on this one, too. Do other MSNBC hosts "bleed" into others' shows? (Speaking of Kasie: check out her Instagram...she posted a picture of her with her son...she looks SO good with her hair pulled back! I didn't recognize her. She should re-think her on air style.) Mika doesn't really rate a box, IMO. She's just the reader and "reacter"...watching her roll her eyes, pout, shake her head, etc. is not box worthy.

• Love 4

ahhh yeah, i know i know, plumbago, I think you really are 100% right in essence....

it is what it is now... buuut I just guess being my optimistic self, I don't get why any of these women don't fight back anymore? Like whyyyy would Mika agree to this awful split screen stuff and apotheosis of Joe in the past 2 yrs? when it's so damaging to her overall position and people's perceptions of her? And whyyy would Kasie let Lemire take 3rd spot? etc etc. Like every single day, there's always something *weird* and dark and disappointing.

Honestly I need a new morning show, I just can't with all the frustrations. It used to be fun but the pandemic etc is over and it just doesn't fit with my morning mood anymore, especially this summer.

It's like they declared it was all over, and De Blasio came on and was all welcome back!!! I mean, there's even an msnbc ad! and then they....reverted back to the dark depths of pandemic-ness again...? i still like them so imma check back in in a couple of weeks, but right now, I just can't, I can't with the boring exposition, and reading, and darkness, and repetition, and sadness and intentionally provoking pandemic PTSD, just for kicks or something

I just miss the days when they used to make us laugh and delight us and surprise us, and they took pride in doing that, instead of trolling and stuff. And people would come on and say weird crazy shit instead of repeating rehearsed stuff from articles we'd already read on our phones in the a.m. and the main thing would be the conversations not the other boring stuff.....siiiiiigh.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, oakville said:

Greg Ellis came on the show to discuss Family Law. He is mad at his ex wife for having him arrested after a restraining order.

He doesn't like Family Lawyers.

He supports shared parenting.

Maybe because I haven’t been regularly watching the show. But I have no idea who Greg Ellis is. The restraining order does sound interesting, though.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I remember him from ... maybe Dexter?  He looks familiar.  Restraining order?  Do tell.  No, don't.  I can look it up.

It continues to "come to this" ... we are discussing the guests and their personal foibles rather than the show.  Or maybe that is just me.

Oakville...your Habs are leading!  

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I remember him from ... maybe Dexter?  He looks familiar.  Restraining order?  Do tell.  No, don't.  I can look it up.

It continues to "come to this" ... we are discussing the guests and their personal foibles rather than the show.  Or maybe that is just me.

Oakville...your Habs are leading!  

He was on Dexter in 2009 !

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0254862/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

It's a tie game after 2 periods. I hope Montreal wins at least 1 game.

• Useful 1

Tuned in at the 8:00 hour to see footage from the Jan. 6 riot; it was gut-wrenching. The denial of this by a political faction is just as disturbing.  The two news people who are brought on to discuss it are Jonathan LeMire and Eugene Robinson. Nothing against them but I wish they would bring on some new voices to discuss this day.  Maybe they have been doing so these last two hours and I have missed it.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Kemper said:

Tuned in at the 8:00 hour to see footage from the Jan. 6 riot; it was gut-wrenching. The denial of this by a political faction is just as disturbing.  The two news people who are brought on to discuss it are Jonathan LeMire and Eugene Robinson. Nothing against them but I wish they would bring on some new voices to discuss this day.  Maybe they have been doing so these last two hours and I have missed it.  

I watched the entire NYT video on Sunday. It was indeed gut-wrenching, and so deeply upsetting.

Good conversation today in the end portion of the show between Eddie Glaude Jr. and some guy who is advocating against the teaching of Critical Race Theory. I thought Joe actually did a decent job moderating the discussion (mainly because he defused tensions and let other people talk for a change). I don't like Eddie, but I agreed with his points.

I'd like to know who this "intelligent, well-educated friend" of Joe's is who keeps sending him Chinese cult conspiracy theories.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Eliot said:

I'd like to know who this "intelligent, well-educated friend" of Joe's is who keeps sending him Chinese cult conspiracy theories.

Joe has own "dark web" of made up friends, officials, business people, Baptists...you name 'em, he's got 'em; and none of them have names. That's his schtick.

The body cam video was terrifying but frankly, ALL LEO body cam videos are just frightening. Saw several from last summer's riots that were awful and just one recently from a local cop making a simple traffic stop who ended up being shot by the driver (and was able to, remarkably, return fire despite being shot in his dominant hand, killing the car's occupants.) I have deepest respect for those who face these dangers daily. Seeing up close and personal the savagery of others is chilling.

• Love 5

Tuesday mini recap.

Mika & Joe are still in Maine based on the Instagram photos.

Mika is still wearing a black cardigan.

Mika is concerned about tropical storm Elsa affecting Florida.

The show aired the NY Times Capitol riot. It is very disturbing to watch.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Eliot said:

Good conversation today in the end portion of the show between Eddie Glaude Jr. and some guy who is advocating against the teaching of Critical Race Theory. I thought Joe actually did a decent job moderating the discussion (mainly because he defused tensions and let other people talk for a change). I don't like Eddie, but I agreed with his points.

2 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

Joe has own "dark web" of made up friends, officials, business people, Baptists...you name 'em, he's got 'em; and none of them have names. That's his schtick.

I'm not a huge fan of Rufo, but I have some issues of what falls under the critical race theory umbrella. We know what Eddie thinks, he's on the show almost every day. I would have appreciated a solo interview with Rufo. Joe was actually agreeing with some claims that Rufo made, but Eddie went after Rufo - not Joe the host. It seemed like a weird MJ version of Cyrano constructed so Joe could disagree with Eddie. It was weird.

Joe's imaginary friends who text and work in restaurants and believe in Italian satellites that emit Jewish lasers are the absolute worst. I find when Willie also sees the imaginary friends especially troubling.

• Love 5

Lemire admitted that Biden didn't want to talk about Afghanistan during his July 4th press conference.

Lemire said that Biden wanted a drawdown of troops when he was VP.

• Love 2

Mika was happy that Bruce Springsteen's daughter  will be on the US Equestrian Olympic team.

Mika used to ride horses. Joe said it was scary to watch kids ride horses.

Joe discussed Reagan's 49 state victory in 1984. Meecham said it won't happen again.

• Love 3

Joe is surprised that 75 million people voted for Trump.

Joe said Trump got away with a lot of scandals that would have defeated other Presidents.

Adrienne agreed with Meecham

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, chick binewski said:

I'm not a huge fan of Rufo, but I have some issues of what falls under the critical race theory umbrella. We know what Eddie thinks, he's on the show almost every day. I would have appreciated a solo interview with Rufo. Joe was actually agreeing with some claims that Rufo made, but Eddie went after Rufo - not Joe the host. It seemed like a weird MJ version of Cyrano constructed so Joe could disagree with Eddie. It was weird.

i was gonna take a break, and I wiiiiilll because I wanna spend this summer waking up and living my life like i'm actually alive, but but but...

I read this and then I looked up the clip and I actually do think it's an important conversation, but they need to clarify wtf they are talking about, because it. is. not. Critical Race Theory. A gazillion people, including the professor who coined the term, who did an actual interview with Joy, have pointed out this is an advanced academic theory, and claiming that it's being taught to kids is like saying kids are being taught Quantum Mechanics. 

If kids are being taught *something* that Rufo disagrees with, he needs to clarify 1) exactly what they are being taught, preferably with actual examples and how 2) exactly why it's objectionable and 3) exactly how pervasive it is - how many schools are involved etc. 

without these basics pinned down they are all just talking past each other, about nothing. imo it can't be a real discussion unless they define wtf they are even talking about.

6 hours ago, Eliot said:

....i think the Chinese uhhh.... *cult*, is Falun Gong? not a fan, personally, but it's nuts to me that Joe seems totally unfamiliar with the political context of that particular moniker lol. I would post a Dr B gif here buuut I'm too tired to dig it out. Again, not a fan, and definitely not a fan of conspiracy theories, but dude, for human rights reasons, even the State Department would be careful w teh descriptive wording on this, just saying

On 7/5/2021 at 10:33 PM, Crashcourse said:

gaaah

here for your entertainment 🤪 live and let live 🥰

ETA: in case there was any doubt how Rufo defines it, in his own words:

successfully frozen their brand! good faith definitions my ass

Edited by neona
  • Love 4
54 minutes ago, neona said:

I read this and then I looked up the clip and I actually do think it's an important conversation, but they need to clarify wtf they are talking about, because it. is. not. Critical Race Theory. A gazillion people, including the professor who coined the term, who did an actual interview with Joy, have pointed out this is an advanced academic theory, and claiming that it's being taught to kids is like saying kids are being taught Quantum Mechanics. 

If kids are being taught *something* that Rufo disagrees with, he needs to clarify 1) exactly what they are being taught, preferably with actual examples and how 2) exactly why it's objectionable and 3) exactly how pervasive it is - how many schools are involved etc. 

without these basics pinned down they are all just talking past each other, about nothing. imo it can't be a real discussion unless they define wtf they are even talking about.

I completely agree and the phrase CRT seems to have become a catch-all any time an article features "race" and "classroom" in the same paragraph. But I had to turn off the Joy interview with Rufo bc again - I just don't understand the approach of having a guest most of us don't have on our radar and not allowing them at least a 90 second give-and-take before you decimate them. Joy is so sharp and engaging and I think that segment would have been more effective if she handled it differently. 

That being said, Rufo seems awful. 

While I'm ranting about media coverage the interview with Rauch bugged a bit. Blaming the acceptance of disinformation on Trump seemed...easy. We've had enough to set the stage over the past few decades: a 24 hour news cycle, the revocation of the fairness doctrine and the rise of national conservative radio hosts. I think the internet allowed for more independent voices to be heard across a broader audience. but Fox, Rush, et al already had an established base. If the author actually thinks Trump bears all the responsibility I wish he would have expanded on that more.

OK on to more important matters - OF COURSE Joe mentioned to Liz Phair that he was a congressman and a (self-deprecating) musician. 

• Love 3

Tuned in at the top of the 7:00 hour.  Joe revisited the Glory of the Reagan Years and we heard a list of Trump Sins.  This was during the discussion of the horror of Jan. 6; Elise (I think that is who is was) bemoaned how much better Bush was than all of this. 

Now we are on to J.D. Vance, which is kind of interesting.  I read "Hillbilly Elegy" along with my book group back in the day.  Now he is running from his previous statements re Trump in order to win an election.  Waiting for Joe to insert himself into this segment and how it all relates to him.  

And here it is.  Joe had friends from all over who read the book and it united them.  Now he is interrupting Charlie Sykes and shouting.  I saw Charlie bite his lip.  I am so sick of the hand wringing from this group on what has become of their party.  Joe needs to take a long look at "when he was in Congress" to see where the seeds were planted.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, oakville said:

Mika was happy that Bruce Springsteen's daughter  will be on the US Equestrian Olympic team.

Mika used to ride horses. Joe said it was scary to watch kids ride horses.

Joe discussed Reagan's 49 state victory in 1984. Meecham said it won't happen again.

How long will it take for Meeka to have Springsteen's daughter on for an interview...after the Olympics.  She is Under Fifty but still...would be an excellent addition to the cult.  I can see it now.  Jeans and sneakers all around.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

How long will it take for Meeka to have Springsteen's daughter on for an interview...after the Olympics

My question is: Who told her who Springsteen is? I look back fondly (and with a bit of wonderment) on my younger days in the late 70's to 80's following him around the country, going to concerts...ME, of all people, hustling scalpers for tickets on street corners in Philly, Indy, etc. ME!! I just can't see Mika having any understanding of his charisma. I pray Jessica knows better than to get caught in her web of shallow nonsense. She doesn't need it.

I tuned in to hear Mika reading JDVance's texts from 2016. OMG, the drama. It's not Shakespeare in the Park, Meeks. Another day of Trump, Trump, Trump. I had to click away immediately.

I did see she dug out an Ecumenical scarf...was that in honor of her latest "Big Get", Val Biden? Ugh. 

The Rev. was looking particulary pruney today. Poor guy. That big weight loss really changed his looks.

• Love 5

How long will it take for Meeka to have Springsteen's daughter on for an interview...after the Olympics.  She is Under Fifty but still...would be an excellent addition to the cult.  I can see it now.  Jeans and sneakers all around.

Joe told Mika that he was considering working with Bruce Springsteen for a concert when the Prohibition club in NYC reopens. Mika said that Springsteen's  music is almost as inspiring as Joe's . Mika said she had listened to one of Springsteen's songs.

• LOL 3
4 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe told Mika that he was considering working with Bruce Springsteen for a concert when the Prohibition club in NYC reopens. Mika said that Springsteen's  music is almost as inspiring as Joe's . Mika said she had listened to one of Springsteen's songs.

She listened to “one” of his songs. I call foul on that! My opinion…Meeka knows much more about pop culture than she lets on - she just thinks it makes her look smart and sophisticated to pretend she is above it all.  

Oakville…good luck to your Habs tonight.  Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon today on PTI threw shade on the mayor of Tampa Bay for “wishing” the Lightning would lose in Montreal so they could win The Cup at home. 😼

• Love 4

Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon today on PTI

OMG, is PTI still a thing?  Talk about another marginally talented pair still on the air long past their expiration date.

• LOL 3
39 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

OMG, is PTI still a thing?  Talk about another marginally talented pair still on the air long past their expiration date.

Meowmommy, I can see why you say that.  

But I love love love Tony.  Read his columns in The Washington Post for a couple of decades!  And his books...tv show based on him, etc.  Wilbon also had a great sports column at The Post.  They have been friends for - again -  decades. Listening to them is like listening to an old married couple; they agree, tease and bicker.  And they know sports.  Tony also, about once a month, wrote a Sunday "Lifestyle" column for The Post on his observations of people, places and things.  Yes, back in the day.

They do go against the grain at ESPN where much of the the talent is younger, a lot of ex-jocks and a few women. We moved out of the DC area before they had the PTI show; Mr. Kemper and I were thrilled when the show started airing nationwide. 

Also...thanks to Oakville's previous postings of tv ratings (where we could check how well MJ was doing) ... PTI is one of the higher rated weekly shows on ESPN.  However, I know their day s are numbered.  Age, plus they do not fit the demographics the network is going for.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

My question is: Who told her who Springsteen is? I look back fondly (and with a bit of wonderment) on my younger days in the late 70's to 80's following him around the country, going to concerts...ME, of all people, hustling scalpers for tickets on street corners in Philly, Indy, etc.

Plumbago this is so badass. we want stories!!!!!

• LOL 3

This morning, Mika was trying to read COVID statistics on the air and she bungled the reading so badly I honestly could not understand what she was saying.  Usually, you can eventually translate her garbles into normal English. Not today.

• LOL 4
(edited)
On 7/7/2021 at 5:49 PM, Linda956 said:

Has Mika or Joe commented on where Willie Giest is this week?

Their egos don't allow it. Out of sight, out of mind. Though IIRC, they've even ignored the absence of one of themselves...perhaps during a marital tiff.

16 hours ago, neona said:

Plumbago this is so badass. we want stories!!!!!

Ha. Just a life well lived. It is amazing when we look back, though, isn't it?! (And all before the internet and cell phones!)

12 hours ago, Eliot said:

reading so badly I honestly could not understand what she was saying.  Usually, you can eventually translate her garbles into normal English. Not today.

I caught a bit of this, too. Oakville, put another bottle in the fridge; it's gonna be a tough one today.

Here I thought 50/50 thing was done but nooo...she's dragging it back, now calling it the Impact list. Oh please. I saw her intro it (trolling Instagram) and it didn't make a lot of sense to me but then the guy from Forbes put even Mika's awkward speech and flubs to shame. Lame, as the kids say. Unwatchable and I couldn't get through it. I also don't get the point of singling out a specific age group for apparently changing the world. What happened to inclusivity, Meeks? Just because YOU made it big after 50, thanks to your adultery with Joe, doesn't mean that other women haven't done incredible things nor have they been ignored. Just seems a little tone deaf and haughty to me. (And Boring.)

Edited by plumbago blues
  • Love 7

Catching up with this weeks episodes.

The CRT discussion with Eddie & chris Rufo.

Joe said he supported discussing slavery in schools but he still believes in American exceptionalism.

Rufo said that CRT is based on the theory that the USA was founded on White Supremacy & racism. He added that it is like Marxism, but using White & Black races instead of Opressor & Opressed. He said that CRT is opposed to the first & fourteenth amendments.

They are opposed to capitalism.

I doubt Eddie would agree with that.

Eddie said it was about the Baki case.

Joe said he read about CRT. Capitalism is not racist according to Joe.

Joe supports reforms to Capitalism. Joe said there are two Americas.

Eddie said the transatlantic slavery was an example of Capitalism.

• Love 2

CRT discussion continued.

Eddie said there is racial capitalism that makes people disposable based on their race.

Rufo disagreed with Eddie and said he is opposed to the substance of CRT .

He wrote papers on CRT.

Rufo said is worried about public school teaching little kids that whiteness is the devil & based on stealing land. Is this true ? The book is called "Not my idea ".

Rufo said parents know what i being taught to their kids & that the NEA can't backtrack.

Joe said liberal democrats are texting him saying that they don't like that book.

Joe said that mainstream media journalists oppose CRT, but won't say it on tv.

Joe said parents want to take their kids out of schools that teach CRT.

Eddie said he is getting upset & is squirming in his chair. He demands that the big lie about slavery is not being told.

Joe supports the 1776 Declaration of Independence & the 1619 project. More work needs to be done on race relations.

Eddie said people that don't like CRT support the January 6th attack on the Capitol.

Eddie said he wanted to say it to Rufo's face.

Joe said there is overreach on CRT.

Joe said there is overreach on the other side.

Joe said black Americans have been oppressed for 400 years.

Joe admitted that slavery was a sin.

Rufo & Eddie look ready to fight in ThunderDome.

Rufo said liberals oppose CRT in San Francisco. Asians are opposed to CRT.

Mika said it was an important discussion.

• LOL 3
On 7/6/2021 at 7:23 PM, chick binewski said:

OK on to more important matters - OF COURSE Joe mentioned to Liz Phair that he was a congressman and a (self-deprecating) musician. 

I think Joe was a little too friendly with Liz Phair. Mika was absent from the discussion .

I wonder if Joe will try to convince Mika to let Liz join the 50 over 50 Forbes KYV Club?

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, charmed1 said:

I’m almost positive I heard Joe let out a huge belch today while someone was speaking.

I don't know if it was Joe but I heard it.

• LOL 3
5 hours ago, oakville said:

I think Joe was a little too friendly with Liz Phair. Mika was absent from the discussion .

I wonder if Joe will try to convince Mika to let Liz join the 50 over 50 Forbes KYV Club?

Maybe this was in my head but I could swear that Mika was shooting devil darts from her eyes at the end of the Phair interview. 

If Liz tries to make it to the 50 over 50 list Mika will have the KYV coven pelt her with rocks and garbage.

• LOL 5

I wonder how Mika will react to the news her crush Avenatti is going to prison? The fawning over him last year (or whenever his moment was) was nauseating. Wonder if she'll give a cry-read or a disgusted, shrill-read performance?

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, plumbago blues said:

I wonder how Mika will react to the news her crush Avenatti is going to prison? The fawning over him last year (or whenever his moment was) was nauseating. Wonder if she'll give a cry-read or a disgusted, shrill-read performance?

Joe was very angry when Avenatti flirted with Mika. Soon after his appearances, Mika stopped wearing her bare armed dresses.

• LOL 4

I had to laugh this morning when Mika was announcing the winner of the 2021 Scripps National Spelling Bee.  She could barely pronounce the word and then she fumbled on its spelling (which was right in front of her on the teleprompter)!

• LOL 6
5 minutes ago, Linda956 said:

I had to laugh this morning when Mika was announcing the winner of the 2021 Scripps National Spelling Bee.  She could barely pronounce the word and then she fumbled on its spelling (which was right in front of her on the teleprompter)!

Face it...most of us could do her job at a fraction of the salary.  I say "most" because of the hours.

• Love 6

The 7:00 - 7:30 hour.  Joe was going on about Evangelicals back-in-the-day; the descriptor "Birkenstock-wearing" was bandied about.  Since I had just tuned in, I figured he was insulting someone.  Turns out, I think he was comparing how Evangelicals had changed from trying to "do good things" to what they stand for today.  How they did so much for Katrina victims and AIDS victims in Africa.  And now they are not Conservative (hushed whisper) and anti-vaccine.  I was waiting for him to mention Sean Penn in the Katrina talk, but alas.

He was actually making some good points; but of course he had to insert himself into what was happening back then.  He is truly A Man For All Seasons.  A lot of the time he really does start what could be an interesting conversation, jump-offs for great discussions.  The trouble is, he can never let go of his ego long enough for anyone else to make their point.

• Love 7