Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

I don't begrudge anyone taking time off during Christmas week, but for goodness sakes, do Joe & Mika even work a full week anymore ever?  Starting January 1st, just as a point of interest, I'm going to keep track of how many days off these two take in a given year.  Frankly, whatever NBC is paying them is way too much.  I also found it interesting that yesterday morning when Joe was on the set, as far as I can tell, he never even mentioned that Mika was off that day.  He certainly didn't say it at the top of the 6:00am hour or at 7:00am.  Is it wrong that my mind immediately goes to. "Did they have a fight and Joe's not mentioning her at all?"

• Love 5
20 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Brett Stephens is a joke. His appearance on the show today proves how desperate they were to book people. 

Bret Stephens sends me into a rage spiral. And for anyone else who Bret Stephens sends into a rage spiral, I advise reading this cathartic and magnificent piece by the awesome Drew Magary titled, "God Man, Fuck You Bret Stephens." 

I'd say I'm astounded that MJ continues to allow this cretin a public platform, but ... it's Morning Joe whose own hosts also suffer from the side effects of insufferable self-delusions of intellectual grandeur. 

The Twins like nothing better than to bring "disgraced" entitled douchebags on in order to rehabilitate them.  I have not forgotten the Elizabeth Warren pile-on from a few weeks ago. If I could See the Wizard and get just one wish, I would have these pundits picked up and blown into a double-wide somewhere ... maybe Schitt's Creek!  THEN we'll talk.

• Love 2
On 12/26/2019 at 8:23 AM, WhineandCheez said:

Yes, he's quite sober and measured.  If he's anything like me, he's mellowed out by the 10,000 grams of carbs consumed over the past 48 hours..... (increases seratonin...and fat)

8:50 AM:  Whoa.. Joe just said that after the break it's going to be Women on Women.  Does Anyone else out there see this as problematic (on national tv)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that sounds like he was making a sex joke.  I guess he would claim that he meant women talking about women.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Brett might be keeping a low profile now.

Bret is a perpetual victim as evidenced by the "oh, I had no idea the person whose work I cited was a white supremacist don't pick on me!" defense in that article. Why not just apologize? Nope, not Bret Stephens, learned jerkass and notable snowflake.

He'll be back on MJ next week I'm sure where they continue to treat him as some paragon of intelligence instead of the hot pile of turds he actually is.

13 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Bret is a perpetual victim as evidenced by the "oh, I had no idea the person whose work I cited was a white supremacist don't pick on me!"

I think the interesting thing in this case is that it shows he is a flat out coward. Despite the fact that he has publishing access to one of the most influential new sources in the country in order to clarify his (indefensible) comments, he choose to hide behind a corporate apologies. 

• Love 2

Joe and Mika are off.  Elyse and Jonathan Lemire are hosting today with Yasmin from the MSNBC early morning show.

The show opened with testimony by Dr. Fiona Hill.  The NY Times reports that former NS Advisor John Bolton asked the president to release aid. 

Elyse says the budget process was politicized. It was 84 days of confusion according to the New York Times.  Eddie Glaude says there was wrongdoing.  

The panel speculated about what will happen in a Senate trial.  Yasmin said the articles of impeachment could be sent in February 

So this is basically the same show from two weeks ago with Elyse and Jonathan Lemire playing Mika and Joe? 

Edited by nittanycougar
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, nittanycougar said:

Joe and Mika are off.  Elyse and Jonathan Lemire are hosting today with Yasmin from the early morning show.

The show opened with testimony by Dr. Fiona Hill.  The NY Times reports that former NS Advisor John Bolton asked the president to release aid. 

Elyse says the budget process was politicized. It was 84 days of confusion according to the New York Times.  Eddie Glaude says there was wrongdoing.  

The panel speculated about what will happen in a Senate trial.  

So this is basically the same show from two weeks ago with Elyse and Jonathan Lemire playing Mika and Joe? 

Were they off last week? I don't understand why they aren't working today, I had my morning Joe waiting for Joe to express Faux outrage and taunt Trump. 

Maybe tomorrow 

• LOL 2

Elyse really sucks at hosting.  She lacks charisma and reads the prompter in a monotone voice.  Her thick Southern drawl also bugs the crap out of me.  I'm from Texas, and it takes a lot for an accent to grate on me.

I think Lemire is pretty good as host, especially for a print reporter.  

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, nittanycougar said:

Elyse really sucks at hosting.  She lacks charisma and reads the prompter in a monotone voice. 

I completely agree.  I hope they're not auditioning her for any kind of upgrade on the network.   She is boring with a capital B.  

I like Yasmin.   And she's a dedicated employee, filling in everywhere she's needed.   I hope they notice that and don't let her slip away. 

It infuriates me that there are so many women of worth at MSNBC who could do Mika's job 100 times better but are languishing in the background or put on panels of various shows, while Mrs. Scarborough sits there mute and making goo-goo eyes at her husband for $7,000,000 a year.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ladyrain said:

I completely agree.  I hope they're not auditioning her for any kind of upgrade on the network.   She is boring with a capital B.  

I like Yasmin.   And she's a dedicated employee, filling in everywhere she's needed.   I hope they notice that and don't let her slip away. 

It infuriates me that there are so many women of worth at MSNBC who could do Mika's job 100 times better but are languishing in the background or put on panels of various shows, while Mrs. Scarborough sits there mute and making goo-goo eyes at her husband for $7,000,000 a year.

Yasmin is very knowledgeable.

Elise Jordan is better at coming up with pithy comments about Trump.

I think Joe agreed to Mika's salary for tax planning purposes. Otherwise, Joe would make more than $8M per year.

• Love 4

Ahh, a day without Joe's bloviating is a day with sunshine. I really enjoyed this morning's episode with Jonathan Lemire hosting; he did an excellent job (I like Elyse Jordan well enough, but she's just not host material).

I vote we dump Joe and Mika (who was so unpleasantly loud and screechy in that end segment talking about women in the news), keep Willie, bring Jon, Yasmin, and Kasie Hunt on board, and rotate hosting duties among the four of them. Elyse can remain in the guest regulars, who I wouldn't change. 

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Elyse really sucks at hosting.  She lacks charisma and reads the prompter in a monotone voice.  Her thick Southern drawl also bugs the crap out of me.  I'm from Texas, and it takes a lot for an accent to grate on me.

And her voice sounds like a six year old. 

I hope they're not grooming her for her own show, although if they do, I just won't watch.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I vote for Yasmin and Willie to take over permanently so Mika can open an Emotional Support Bakery & Ice Cream Shoppe, and Joe can dedicate himself to his garage band, selling CDs at flea markets and garage sales. 

I like Yasmin well enough but I cannot stand Willie. Jonathan Lemire would be a nice morning host. I'd also be okay with moving Velshi & Ruhle to the early morning slot.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

This is petty.  I'm embarrassed to write it. 
Here goes...
I've seen her wear that exact sweater with the extraneous buttons on at least 6 other occasions. 
I don't feel great about myself.

I don't know who you are talking about...but I love the comments anyway!  So.  Who are you talking about?  Elise?  Yasmin?  Meeka?  Too many buttons? Extra buttons? I have seen Alex Witt popping cleavage on the weekends.  Not enough buttons for her.

• Love 1

Elise.
She's on Nicole's show right now with a different top. 
The sweater in question is black and is kind of a mock turtleneck with big weird buttons angled from her armpit region up toward her neck.
Extraneous buttons on clothing befuddle me.  Buttons as decoration makes no sense.

I am severely embarrassed I pay such close attention to matters so silly.

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 4.56.54 PM.png

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Landsnark said:

Extraneous buttons on clothing befuddle me.  Buttons as decoration makes no sense.

Buttons as decorations can make sense, but jaysus, the pattern these make just draws your eyes right to the big saggy bazooms in the middle.  Not the most professional look.

Yet I'll take it over the women who repeatedly show up on the air in sleeveless tops.  That to me screams unprofessionalism, especially when the men are still wearing suits and ties.  You can yell ok boomer at me now.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Landsnark said:

Elise.
The sweater in question is black and is kind of a mock turtleneck with big weird buttons angled from her armpit region up toward her neck.

She looks like a Star Wars Death Trooper who lost her helmet.

death-trooper_star-wars_feature.jpg

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 4

There is no new show today.  Joe and Mika must be on their way to Mar-a-Lago. 

They are running a tape retrosospective of their greatest moments from this year.  I think there should be a rule against a news program running tape of itself from a month ago.  All this does is emphasize how much speculation and BS there is on this show every day.  Spoiler:  A lot of Joe's speculation on November 20 was wrong because he was talking out of his ass. WTF.

Mika uses the word "bombshell" to describe the coverage of the Sondland testimony in the impeachment hearings.  It sure is cool watching video of people walking around on the House floor in November. 

Edited by nittanycougar
  • LOL 5
14 hours ago, XOQueens said:

Same. This is something I don’t think I’ll get over; Willie seems just as bad as Joe, just quieter about it now:

WOW. What an sycophantic ASSHOLE. 

Getting back to guests...does anyone here remember Joe announcing that Heidi P. was getting her own show? I swear I heard one or two mentions, perhaps in the summer of 2018; he said her show would start that November, over a year ago. I think it was after Kacie was settled into her show so I know I'm not confusing them. I don't care for Heidi but thought it interesting that it never happened as far as I know.

I agree that today's show was a bust. (Ha, aren't they all.) When I did my check in and saw the "Breaking News" trailer, with both of them sitting there I got worried that some REAL NEWS may have occurred, but, alas, I then saw the November dateline. I don't know why I even check the show out since they are unwatchable. I click on by daily.

• Love 1
On 12/30/2019 at 4:58 PM, Landsnark said:

Elise.

She could be the warden in a women's prison.  

Hell, make that a men's prison.

• LOL 2

Mika is off today for some well-deserved rest. Joe opened the show by criticizing about the president's New Year's Eve at Mar-a-Lago.  The New York Times reports that the president gave a speech about the impeachment.  Joe did not like the speech.  Joe criticized how fancy the party was. Of course, Joe was fine with all that fancy stuff a few years ago.

Jonathan Lemire is live from West Palm Beach. Jonathan talked about North Korea.  Joe noted that Jonathan Patriots fan.  Jonathan says he is a little worried about the playoffs.  Jonathan really is good on camera.

Richard Haas is on the show to talk about Iran.  Pro-Iran militias have withdrawn from the US embassy in Iraq.  Joe said our economic warfare against Iraq seems successful.  I sure wish Mika was here to give her viewpoint.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • LOL 6

Joe is wearing a new pink tie!

Joe didn't even mention Mika being off on assignment.

The reporters must be happy that they get to spend 2 weeks at Mar A Largo with Trump.

I remembers reporters being frustrated with Bush Jr for having a ranch in Crawford Texas. It wasn't as much fun to stay there.  They were much happier with Obama because he spent the Christmas vacation in Hawaii!.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Joe said that it was ok for Haas to disagree with him. Joe said the Iranian regime is resilient but they are under presure from sanctions.

Joe said it was Iranian militias that attacked the USA embassy in Baghdad.

• Love 1

Bernie Sanders raised $34m, Yang raised $16M, Mayor Pete $25M.

Joe called Bernie, John Connor who was in the Terminator movies. This is absurd. Connor was fighting the Terminator. Luckily the control room intervened & Joe issued an apology.

Adrienne is worried that Bernie will be able to stay in the race until the last primary. She said that he should not be under estimated.

• Love 1

Chase Johnson said that Biden is leading with African Americans & old & younger voters , so he will likely win the nomination. I don't think he's right about younger voters.

Joe is excited about Bloomberg spending money on tv ads. Jason  called Bloomberg Don Coyote.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Noah Rothman was trending on Twitter with folks vowing to turn off MJ/MSNBC until he’s gone. 

I guess Bret Stephens wasn't available today so they had to find the next worst  person in the world to replace him.

Morning Joe's big guest today was Senator Michael Bennett who is still running for President. Joe was very excited about Bennett's candidacy last year & wrote an op ed in the Washington Post last year praising him. Joe usually doesn't bother to interview any of the candidates & let's Mika ask the tough questions.

The show used to be able to get the top candidates to appear on the show in prior elections but now are lucky to get Deval Patrick. Are they doing this on purpose ?

• Love 1

I had it on for the first half hour and after I got over my shock that one of the Twins showed up for work, it struck me that this show has gotten so stale that you can't tell if it's live or taped unless you keep checking for the indicator in the left hand corner.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:
5 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I guess Bret Stephens wasn't available today so they had to find the next worst  person in the world to replace him.

I guess Podhoretz was busy too . . . 

TJ Maxx had Ralph Lauren sweaters on sale.....

• LOL 9

I typically watch the show when there is actually news to analyze and not navel gazing. So I haven't watched much since the impeachment hearing ended. 

But now, I guess we might be on the brink of a war in Iraq/Iran, so I'll guess I'll tune in tomorrow. (I feel bad for the bookers who are probably reworking the entire show tonight.)

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

Joe is doing breaking news today regarding the killing of Iranian General Solemami.  Adm. James Stavardis , former NATO commander, is one of the guests.  He says it is a big escalation.  Honestly, given the import of this story, I feel like they should just have the general and military experts speaking on the topic.  Katty Kay and WaPo Eugene are not national security or military reporters.

Joe seems uncomfortable leading a breaking news story. and Mika didn't bother to show up today.  I don't think Mika would be much better but she is allegedly a journalist.  Also where the heck is Willie?

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 4

Stavridis said that the killing of Sulemani is the equivalent of killing the US Joint Chief of Staff.

He was responsible for killing hundreds of US soldiers during the war in Iraq.

Joe said the USA has not declared war on Iran yet.

• Love 1

Joe is worried about Iran retaliating against the USA. There could be attacks on US military forces and civilian targets.

Eugene is opposed to regime change wars. Eugene admitted that he was evil for killing Americans but he was popular in Iran.

• Useful 1

Joe said he spoke to a Middle East leader last night!. He told Joe that there would be excitement over killing Sulemani  but there could be negative consequences to the USA.

Viewers are lucky that Joe has good relationships with Middle East leaders. Will Joe be involved in "back channel " negotiations ?

I think Katty Kay was brought in today to read the teleprompter. Mika refused to come in early from her holiday.

• LOL 6
2 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

I don't think Mika would be much better but she is allegedly a journalist.

"Alleged journalist".    Hee.  
The Breaking News banner this morning on MJ is misleading.   This story was  breaking news last night when Chris Hayes broke it around 8:45.    After that, has anything new broken as news?     

• Love 3