Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Joe & the panel reappeared at 845 am to discuss Max Boot's book abut the road not taken in vietnam. It was a very interesting interview.

He wrote about Lonsdale telling Johnson & Mcnamara that you can't beat the Vietnamese with weapons. They were wearing pajamas & fighting with simple weapons.

Boot wants to hug Pakistan & keep the aid going to the military rather than fighting local allies.

It's easier to get them to help than fighting wars with American troops.

Max Boot supports the US embassy moving to Jerusalem but remains a strong Never Trumper.

The panel cheered when Mika got a good segway!

The show ended with Paul Feinbaum & Roll Tide Alabama football talk.

• Love 1

Mika is wearing a grey v neck top that Deanna Troi wore on Star Trek the Next Generation . Beam me up Mika!

HEE!

Joe told viewers to mark it down that Tuesday Jan 9 will go down as a date in history when the bill will come due for the GOP. The GOP will be wiped out just like the Clintons bill came due on November 8, 2016. Joe said the words slowly for effect.!

TOP 3 JOE SCARBOROUGH TROPES

1. Women Voting in the Rain

2.  High School Football coaches

3.  The !END! of the Republican Party

This is the 3rd time I've posted this but it bears repeating.  Is this the same End of the Republican Party that was occurring the last 6 months of the 2016 election--up until approx. 9 PM that night?  How many times can the Republican party end?  Is this Groundhog Day??

Late recap due to malfunctioning snowblower. I hate

Your fault for leaving Florida to come back to Canada.  You could have remained there as an illegal alien, and contributed to Wacky Stories About Floridians. They are many illegal aliens, so Trump said once. Then you could have raped people, brought in crime, carried cantaloupes and developed large calf muscles!!

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe said that Mika was condescding.

She WAS condescending to that jerk, Rothman.  And she did it well, too.  Kudos to Mika for being fully dismissive and slightly abusive in her condescension to that weenie, and not apologizing. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe told viewers to mark it down that Tuesday Jan 9 will go down as a date in history when the bill will come due for the GOP. The GOP will be wiped out just like the Clintons bill came due on November 8, 2016. Joe said the words slowly for effect.!. A couple of points in tax cuts aren't worth sacrificing deeply held values.

Why January 9th, specifically?

1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

HEE!

TOP 3 JOE SCARBOROUGH TROPES

1. Women Voting in the Rain

2.  High School Football coaches

3.  The !END! of the Republican Party

This is the 3rd time I've posted this but it bears repeating.  Is this the same End of the Republican Party that was occurring the last 6 months of the 2016 election--up until approx. 9 PM that night?  How many times can the Republican party end?  Is this Groundhog Day??

Your fault for leaving Florida to come back to Canada.  You could have remained there as an illegal alien, and contributed to Wacky Stories About Floridians. They are many illegal aliens, so Trump said once. Then you could have raped people, brought in crime, carried cantaloupes and developed large calf muscles!!

There are many more Morning Joe Tropes !. I have to post them.

I wish I could set them up in an software program so I could do the recaps quicker.

I have been in a foul mood since returning to Canada. The flight was delayed & fully booked with angry Canadians who wanted to get home. Trust me, you don't want to be on a plane with stressed out Canadians. We aren't as polite as normally and groaned loudly over the delays.  The baggage was delayed. The limo home nearly veered off the road at 3 am. We had to climb through a snow drift to get into the house.

We couldn't get in our driveway because the snowplows blocked the entrance.

The snowblower won't start. I have spent 2 days now clearing the snow with a shovel.

I was hoping that Trump would accept Canadians as snow/cold  refugees. He likes Justin Trudeau, doesn't he?

I am definitely spending my winters in Florida when I retire. Recaps with a view of palm trees

20 minutes ago, izabella said:

Why January 9th, specifically?

Today is January 9th!. Joe has officially warned the GOP that they will be destroyed in the 2018 elections. A statement like this with Joe's glasses off is like an executive order from the President.

Longtime viewers of Morning Joe are always excited when Joe takes off his glasses . It's almost as exciting as a scripted telePrompter rant from Mika or Joe.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Landsnark said:

Preach.  I'd have written that in Oprah's style of sing songing the final syllable of some word she wants to give weight to.  But didn't know how.  "Puh Ree EEEEEEEEEEEEECH!"?  How about we have experts in policy and bureaucracy run government, and Oprah can do whatever the hell she does.  Oprah should campaign tirelessly and speak, fund raise, support, and be out in the front, but she should not be the Dem's Donald Trump.  Absurd beyond description.  Joe's right. 

I get the feeling  Dems are just grabbing at anything that makes them feel hopeful. There are no real stars of the party now, and her speech was very inspiring. But it was on one specific topic, stopping sexual harassment, assault and just generally putting an end to treating women like crap.  

It'll die down.  She's a great public speaker, but there is too much crazy shit she tried to sell to audiences, ie The Secret for one, that she will realize, like Rick Tyler said, she doesn't want her brand to be torn apart for something like a presidential run.  

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I get the feeling  Dems are just grabbing at anything that makes them feel hopeful. There are no real stars of the party now, and her speech was very inspiring. But it was on one specific topic, stopping sexual harassment, assault and just generally putting an end to treating women like crap.  

It'll die down.  She's a great public speaker, but there is too much crazy shit she tried to sell to audiences, ie The Secret for one, that she will realize, like Rick Tyler said, she doesn't want her brand to be torn apart for something like a presidential run.  

I don't think Democratic party is latching onto Oprah.  Is that what they're claiming in MJ?

I think some people, who may be Democrats, are assuming Oprah may be interested in running because of some speech she gave at the GG?

The dirty little secret is that most American voters are lazy, low-information voters.  So they don't care about policy that much.  These candidates put up detailed policy ideas on their websites.  But people don't go and read those, they look at clips of speeches or bits of debates which get replayed over and over on social media and cable TV shows like MJ.

That is how people come to form their opinions of candidates and decide whom they will support.

So Oprah is good in the media and can connect with a crowd in a way that Clinton and a lot of other politicians could not.  Same goes for Trump, he got good sound bites working for him with his putdowns of other candidates.

Trump had a message, MAGA and all that.  Clinton really didn't have an overarching message.  The candidate who wins the nomination will have to come up with some argument for why he or she should replace Trump.  If Oprah is the one who can make that argument, why not her?

Regardless of who wins, whether a real policy wonk or a celebrity, they're going to have armies of policy analysts and advisors who will give him or her the rundown, condense it down to a summary.  So effectively, it doesn't matter how steeped in policy a candidate is.  Anyone who's interested in policy issues, willing to listen to advisors and deliberate, is going to be miles ahead of Trump, who simply isn't interested as he is in watching cable TV shows and tweeting.

• Love 8

She's a great public speaker, but there is too much crazy shit she tried to sell to audiences, ie The Secret for one

I'm envisioning Trump in his re-election rally, rolling out a red wagon with 80 pounds of fat in it, then completing the zing by telling America he wouldn't lay her.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, scrb said:

I think some people, who may be Democrats, are assuming Oprah may be interested in running because of some speech she gave at the GG?

That's what I meant. Not the party, just Democrats in general. 

7 hours ago, millennium said:

I agree 100% with Scarborough's view re: Oprah.    I'm a lifelong Democrat turned Independent and it's exactly this kind of pandering to culture that made me leave the party when the Dems decided to run Obama essentially on the basis of a single speech.

Our country has gone fucking insane; either that, or the Presidency has deteriorated to the point of meaninglessness given the utter lack of regard people have for the office.   Only someone who doesn't give a shit about their country could seriously propose Oprah for President. 

I think what Scarborough's missing is that politics has suddenly morphed into an entertainment venue; the Trump presidency is The Walking Dead; cable news and its array of paid shills is Talking Dead.   Are we going to start electing people on the basis of whether they would make exciting guest stars for the upcoming season?

The topics on today's show made me want to crawl into a hole and just wait out my remaining years there.

I agree with most of this, except that Obama won the nomination on more than just on the basis of a single speech.  He was no celebrity (although, true, he was treated like a rock star by many people), he was a Senator.  No way would I compare his political career to Oprah giving a (not even that great, IMO) speech.  

• Love 7

While I agree with all the reasons Scarborough cited for why Oprah should not be given serious consideration for President, I think his greatest objection went unsaid:

Because I'M the one people should be getting excited about!

As he made his case for what kind of candidate is truly needed, I kept hearing the words SOMEONE LIKE ME!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, millennium said:

While I agree with all the reasons Scarborough cited for why Oprah should not be given serious consideration for President, I think his greatest objection went unsaid:

Because I'M the one people should be getting excited about!

As he made his case for what kind of candidate is truly needed, I kept hearing the words SOMEONE LIKE ME!

Bingo! He kept saying he wanted someone who knew that Washington works & mentioned Rubio.

Joe served in the Congress for 6 years & sponsored  a bill to changed the name of a local Post office.

Joe also had solid NRA voting record & tried to get the United Nations defunded.

Joe said Rubio had not even finished his first term as Senator before deciding to run for President. Now that Rubio has been re elected, he said it was OK for Rubio to run in 2020. He also mentioned that Jeb Bush understood Washington based on his family's experience in the White House.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 3

Wow, Joe was embarrassing this morning in his support of Trump "pivoting."  Even Mika scoffed at Joe's enthusiasm and clearly identified Trump's eagerness to make a terrible deal for the GOP as him just pretending to be engaged during a meeting.  She correctly identified that if he really is cool with DACA being passed without any negotiations, then he truly has no interest in policy and has no core beliefs.  The entire set agreed on these points, and Joe had to walk back his initial burst of optimism towards Trump and the holy grail: "The Pivot"

Also, I oppose the deification of Bannon and the schadenfreude in celebrating his fall.  This isn't a reality show, and he's not a character with a narrative.  Please observe what his role was, and what comes next.  This isn't entertainment.

• Love 8

Wednesday Recap. Mika is wearing her blue bathrobe over her Grey Star Trek Spandex.. She has s a scratchy voice & is in the studio with Willie.

Joe is in the bunker where the regular makeup person is off. Joe looks very tanned with patchy hair & a dark blue checkered blazer.

Kasie! got her lightning intro back for some bizarre reason. She was not happy. I don't like it when Kasie! is not happy.

The big news is Trump going to Davos to meet with globalists & is open to comprehensive immigration reform + DACA in exchange for a wall. Everyone was shocked. Trump doesn't remember being oppose to it.

Mika said this is a publicity stunt to show Trump in charge with meetings.

The cameras stayed in the room for 45 minutes. Trump kept having to be steered back by GOP reps in the room.

Joe was excited that this was the type of dealmaking that everyone anted when he got elected.

Trump's position is popular with most people.

Mika is mad & said this is a farce.

Joe asked Demos McGhee the same question. she won't believe it.

She is happy about stopping the voter purge of rolls in Ohio.

Mika called Trump a Democrat.

Trump wants to return to earmark system. Joe likes earmarks. It is easier to get deals done with earmarks.

Kasie said there is too much partisaship on Capitl Hill.

Mika called Trump a vulgar bully.

Joe keeps going back to the big IF Trump behaves he could avoid impeachment. Trump needs allies.

Ryan does not like earmarks.

• Love 2

Joe blamed the GOP Congress for making him focusing on healthcare.

Joe is talking about a new Trump with an infrastructure & immigration bill.

Joe is mimickig the GOP congressmen with a funny voice.

Sam Stein is bewildered by Trump's policy changes yesterday

The panel was stunned about the decline of Bannon. He lost his job at Breitbart

Joe thinks it is Season 2 of Trump the reality show President.

Mika said its a game show. Is he fit?

• Love 1

Hi oakville, reading thru your bullet points (thank you for your service btw!), trying to decide if I want to start scrolling thru the show today (its on dvr).  What's an earmark?

What Trump did yesterday was stage an episode of "The Apprentice: Congress".    

Whether anyone likes Feinstein or not, she was right to stop the GOP bullshit.  I'm really surprised the show spent so much time on the nonsense with Trump's little play acting and didn't focus on her exposing Grassley, Graham, Jordan and the rest of those Trump ass kissers for what they are. They knew what was going on with the FBI, Fusion GPS & Steele, and they would rather make up lies to cover it up than to let the truth come out.  That's what happens in Russia, you assholes.   

• Love 12

So Bannon got ousted!!  Awesome, now he has more time to spend on his clothes and grooming.  It won't matter though, he'll still stay knee-deep in his Alt-Right drama.

That Rep. Boyle talking about the "Stable Genius Act" looks about 20 and even has acne.

Kasie! got her lightning intro back for some bizarre reason. 

I know!! it's like 2 steps forward, one step back.....

Joe's "Paw Paw" analogy to Trump was hilarious!

Did not see--what was that?? 'Splain, Lucy.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Whether anyone likes Feinstein or not, she was right to stop the GOP bullshit.  I'm really surprised the show spent so much time on the nonsense with Trump's little play acting and didn't focus on her exposing Grassley, Graham, Jordan and the rest of those Trump ass kissers

Wish I could like this 100 times, I kept fast forwarding thru the show going.... when do we get to GPS Fusion?  I may have looked at the MJ clock wrong, I think it might not have been over a full hour?  Before they got to this?  Why do I watch this show.... (I watch this show because although I can't stand M & J, I love most of their regulars!  And they get really good guests.  sigh....)

Edited by Xena
GBP is a currency, not the group who put together the dossier.
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Xena said:

Hi oakville, reading thru your bullet points (thank you for your service btw!), trying to decide if I want to start scrolling thru the show today (its on dvr).  What's an earmark?

I think an earmak was a procedure that Congress used to pass bills up until a few years ago. It allowed a Congressmen to get a specific project financed in exchange for a vote on a big bill. They could get a GOP congressman to vote Yes on a bill in exchange for a highway built in his didtrict. It was similar to "pork barrel " politics. Joe said Democrats loved Earmarks 7 it helped get deals done.

They were outlawed a few years ago for some reason.

• Love 1

I fell back asleep, but did they cover North Carolina changing their illegal gerrymandering practices?  I know they did, because it was in what I was dreaming, but I couldn't make any sense of it.  What was discussed?

They were outlawed a few years ago for some reason.

Huh?  I thought that was how they got Lisa Murkowski and such to vote yes on the tax bill?  They kept talking about how various Senators chagned their vote because they were promised things.  So how can that be?

I fell back asleep, but did they cover North Carolina changing their illegal gerrymandering practices?  I know they did, because it was in what I was dreaming, but I couldn't make any sense of it.  What was discussed?

The Court ruled they had to re-draw the districts more fairly by Jan. 28th or such, but the Repubs aren't going to since they are going to appeal.  Wake Up!  Think of Oakville's sacrificing each AM for us!

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 6
22 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Think of Oakville's sacrificing each AM for us!

I am building a little shrine in a back room to give thanks every day.  Oakville is doing god's work here.   If Oakville's bullet points don't interest me, I know the show won't either!

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Huh?  I thought that was how they got Lisa Murkowski and such to vote yes on the tax bill?  They kept talking about how various Senators chagned their vote because they were promised things.  So how can that be?

The Court ruled they had to re-draw the districts more fairly by Jan. 28th or such, but the Repubs aren't going to since they are going to appeal.  Wake Up!  Think of Oakville's sacrificing each AM for us!

Here's an article I found on earmarks. I think the difference between Murkowski is that she was able to get a provision for tax code changed which is different than appropriating funds from Congress?

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-01-09/congress-needs-to-bring-back-earmarks

10 hours ago, Landsnark said:

Wow, Joe was embarrassing this morning in his support of Trump "pivoting."  Even Mika scoffed at Joe's enthusiasm and clearly identified Trump's eagerness to make a terrible deal for the GOP as him just pretending to be engaged during a meeting.  She correctly identified that if he really is cool with DACA being passed without any negotiations, then he truly has no interest in policy and has no core beliefs.  The entire set agreed on these points, and Joe had to walk back his initial burst of optimism towards Trump and the holy grail: "The Pivot"

Also, I oppose the deification of Bannon and the schadenfreude in celebrating his fall.  This isn't a reality show, and he's not a character with a narrative.  Please observe what his role was, and what comes next.  This isn't entertainment.

Scarborough's fawning over Trump was as bizarre as it was disgusting.   I sat here and thought, "Oh my God, all this time Scarborough's just been waiting for any opening to support Trump again and find a way back into his good graces."   I turned the show off after the first ten minutes and didn't go back.  

Politics as reality show is exactly why crackpots everywhere are talking about Oprah as a viable candidate.   

• Love 5

I found the transcript of yesterday's show regarding Joe's dementia diagnosis of Trump.

Did he really backtrack on his source that claims that Trump has early onset dementia?

Mika has been convinced about Trump being mentally unwell since March 2017.

This is a key theme to Morning Joe that Trump is unfit for holding the job of President.

I think that it doesn't just have to be a dementia  condition to make him unfit.

Couldn't they just say that he has other psychiatric illnesses  that make him unfit to be President?

I recall a VP candidate Muskie, having to be removed from the ticket for being electroshocked.

Under US law, if a Presidential candidate took medication for anxiety or depression or any other mental illness condition, would they be forced to disclose it?

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/chris-reeves/2018/01/09/scarborough-admits-no-objective-evidence-trump-mentally-unfit

I recall a VP candidate Muskie, having to be removed from the ticket for being electroshocked.

Not Muskie. Eagleton. He didn't "have" to be removed in the sense that it was legally required; he withdrew at the candidate's request.

• Love 4

The opening this morning reinforced something I noticed yesterday. Yesterday, Joe was in a bunker wearing jacket and tie and Mika was in the studio wearing the blue robe. Yesterday, there was not even one shot of the entire panel in the studio; yesterday was a series of head shots. Mika occasionally glanced sideways at the others and they did the same and the body language was in sync with the conversation (there were lots of studio head shots side-by-side) but at no point was there a long shot of two or more panelists. It was exceeding odd. My first impression was that they were in separate bunkers and were fronting off like she was sitting at the table with the panel. It means something ... but the significance eludes me. I guess I'll put it in the file with Joe disappearing every time sexual harassment is discussed. "It's a puzzlement".

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, suomi said:

The opening this morning reinforced something I noticed yesterday. Yesterday, Joe was in a bunker wearing jacket and tie and Mika was in the studio wearing the blue robe. Yesterday, there was not even one shot of the entire panel in the studio; yesterday was a series of head shots. Mika occasionally glanced sideways at the others and they did the same and the body language was in sync with the conversation (there were lots of studio head shots side-by-side) but at no point was there a long shot of two or more panelists. It was exceeding odd. My first impression was that they were in separate bunkers and were fronting off like she was sitting at the table with the panel. It means something ... but the significance eludes me. I guess I'll put it in the file with Joe disappearing every time sexual harassment is discussed. "It's a puzzlement".

Wow! I wish I didn't delete the DVR of the episode. I have to go back & look at this online.

Thursday mini recap. Joe & Mika are back in the studio. Willie is coughing.

First topic was making fun of the TRUMP STUDIO Cabinet meeting.

Trump said he got great reviews & the executives sent letters of support for his good performance at the meeting with Democrats.

More football talk about Alabama.

Mika got mad but Joe ignored her so he started talking Star Wars with Nick Confessore.

Mika got mad & Heidi said it was a painful segment.

Joe is mad at Trump for insulting Feinstein.

Joe said the GOP is doomed in the House. The suburbs are gone.

Darryl Issa is retiring.

Young people hate Trump. 67% disapproval among millenials.

They tried to compare Trump to reality tv ratings.

Mika told Joe that Trump couln't behave for more than one day.

Barnicle is worried about 64,000 opiod deaths, not illegal Salvadorans working at 7-11.

The GOP will be doomed after Trump because young people will hate him forever & associate him with evil GOP.

Joe talked about 1994.

Joe talked about 1980 election. His classmates liked Reagan. Joe said you get your political values at 18.

Mika made fun of Lewis bergdorf. He doesn't have a voice to discuss business issues.

Joe said to layoff the kid. Mika said Lewis will thank her in future.

Issa out! Ed Royce out! 31 GOP not seeking re election. 12 GOP will be leaving the powerful House to seek higher office.

The theme today is that the GOP IS DOOMED FOREVER !!!!

• Love 4

Thank you as always for your recap Oakville.  I had to bail after the first hour as it seemed Joe and Mika spent the show taunting Trump trying to get him to tweet to prove he watches them.  They are as childish as he is.  And I agree with ButterQueen, Mika was just miserable from the jump. 

• Love 2

Joe now says Steven Miller is running the show and will derail immigration.

Maybe Joe is a fly on the oval office wall.

Yay! for the 18-34 year olds that hate trump.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, stormy said:

A new guy showed up today.  Brian Klass. He wrote a book.

I wish they'd have these new interesting people on everyday.

1 minute ago, stormy said:

Joe now says Steven Miller is running the show and will derail immigration.

Maybe Joe is a fly on the oval office wall.

I like it when they interview authors.

I forgot to add that Joe was mimicking staffers that worked for him when he was in Congress. He said that if they told him that he couldn’t get his policy objectives done then he would fire them.

Joe said that Trump won’t let Miller derail immigration.

i will have to watch the rest of the show when i get back from work 

• Love 2

RAND PAUL IS A NUTJOB.  A conspiracy in the FBI= a guy and his GF emailing about how Trump is unfit.

She looks rough.  Maybe she really was sick.

Her voice is very "froggy."  Maybe it's the fumes from the gunpowder last week?

Mika says Lil Steven Miller is, "like 2."

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 1

Sen. Paul is very concerned about people snooping around in that database.  I wonder if the real reason why his next door neighbor tried to kill him is in there . . . 

And thanks to Barnicle and Robinson for calling bullshit on those FBI agents conspiring to "bring down the President".  I am tired of the FBI getting dragged like this.

• Love 9
41 minutes ago, oakville said:

He said that if they told him that he couldn’t get his policy objectives done then he would fire them.

In case anyone forgot that Joe Scarborough is a major douchebag. 

Mika & Willie both sound like they still have a little of the flu. 

Apparently Joe & Mika don't know the comedy rule of 3.  Yes, we get it, you're fucking with Trump talking about how Hillary Clinton got 3 million more votes, saying it over and over and over. But as in comedy, a joke is only funny a few times.   Yes you're hoping he'll go nuts and start tweeting about it so you can laugh that you got him riled up.   But it's kind of like pretending to throw the ball for a dog. After a while, it's not funny anymore.  

13 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

And thanks to Barnicle and Robinson for calling bullshit on those FBI agents conspiring to "bring down the President".  I am tired of the FBI getting dragged like this.

If the agents were trying to bring him down, then so was the majority of Congress, and probably at least half of America .  If, bringing him down is defined by talking to another person about what a fucking idiot he is and that's he's a danger to our democracy. 

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

But it's kind of like pretending to throw the ball for a dog. After a while, it's not funny anymore.

Perfect metaphor.  That extended series of mockery towards the President wasn't funny.  I wonder if yesterday they connected with a new source in the WH who let them know that the President absolutely watches MJ, and what is said causes a reaction.
I didn't understand what Rand Paul was defending or attacking.  Isn't the vote on being able to spy on foreign nationals abroad?  Why would he want to end that??

• Love 2

Did Joe get around to Trump's idiotic threats to change liable laws?

Or at least Joe could whip off his glasses, look into the camera and tell him "read the Constitution".

Edited by stormy
4 hours ago, Landsnark said:

I didn't understand what Rand Paul was defending or attacking.  Isn't the vote on being able to spy on foreign nationals abroad?  Why would he want to end that??

Because when you conspire and collude with Russians, that will get caught while they are listening in on the Russians.  See Russians and Mike Flynn.  It would appear Rand Paul is protecting your right to conspire with foreign nationals against the US.

• Love 5