Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

The president will likely appeal a federal court ruling which found that the president must produce his taxes to the Manhattan D.A.  A Florida state's attorney joined and said the court found that Trump's accountant is not immune.  The panel speculated about the Supreme Court result if the president appeals.

Donnie Deutsch gave us opinions about the Supreme Court.  Donnie is not a lawyer so why is he giving opinions about the Supreme Court?

• Love 3

Twitter is ablaze - what did Barnicle say about "colored people"???? I must have missed it. I wandered off when he started rambling off on his usual "everyday Americans sitting around the kitchen table blah blah blah economic anxiety" schtick when it's been proven in numerous studies that it's cultural anxiety driving the electorate.

Is Claire worried that they will turnout in droves and vote?

I kind of missed that part as well, although I think I heard her sniping that she tried to reach out to young voters and for some reason they didn't show up for her at the polls....

Edited by Eliot
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Gaah! Barnicle did it again. He talked about the "Sons and daughters fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq, not the coastal elites. . . "

Barnicle, you know what state has the most people enrolled in the military? The coastal elite, hippie dippie People's Republic of California.

It's really annoying how Mika highjacks interviews with female authors to promote KYV. It's also funny how they all clearly know more about gender issues than she does. 

Ok, I guess today is just my lucky day that I tuned in for these segments.  Further to Barnicle talking about soldiers/coastal elite, he just asked one of those wonderful wonderful Gold Star women if they felt isolated from the rest of the country . . . WTF?  This is what is wrong with this team that MJ insists on having around the table.  Anyone that is in/knows a family that is involved in the military the absolute last thing they ever think about is themselves which is clearly a concept Mike "Coastal Elite Personified" Barnicle could ever grasp.  Dolt.

I then caught Meeks prying away the interview with Alicia Menendez and rolling her eyes when she was talking about the "feedback" she had been provided through the years.  Clearly note taking was not her strong suit at that point in her life.

I was also treated to Donny waxing in dulcet tones about his poor friend Michael Cohen (the one who regularly threatened/intimidated/frightened to death anyone that crossed his boss).  Dolt II.

So gross.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, oakville said:

Senator Claire is worried about youth turnout for 2020.

Young voters are enthusiastic about Bernie & Elizabeth.

Sigh, those darn kids . . . snort.

1 hour ago, oakville said:

Mika does not like Sean Spicer on Dancing with the Stars.

Shame on you Mika as it's a great way for him to lose weight.  He Knows His Value (and probably his new and improved test results).

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, oakville said:

On yesterday's show the polls were showing that Trump was ahead or tied in most of the battleground states. Today, the Washington Post polls show Trump losing by 15% to Elizabeth Warren.

That is a wide variance.

Ok, I'm on a roll today . . . who cares about polls in our current environment (and not just political environment)?  The sands shift literally every day so asking questions at a given moment could (and probably will be) rendered useless the following hour/day/week.  Good grief, could the networks (on the news side) do their job and report the news and drop opinions please?

I read a terrific article a year or so ago about how pollsters have been thrown into a tizzy as their samples were usually taken via land line phones and they are still struggling to catch up/hone their newfound data inputs as these new ones can be hacked so easily.  Seriously, enough.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Eliot said:

Twitter is ablaze - what did Barnicle say about "colored people"???? I must have missed it. I wandered off when he started rambling off on his usual "everyday Americans sitting around the kitchen table blah blah blah economic anxiety" schtick when it's been proven in numerous studies that it's cultural anxiety driving the electorate.

I kind of missed that part as well, although I think I heard her sniping that she tried to reach out to young voters and for some reason they didn't show up for her at the polls....

There was no wave of kids showing up to vote for Senator Claire in 2018. She isn't as popular with the young crowd.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, oakville said:

Claire is worried that they might be enthusiastic & vote for the dreaded MFA!.

Ok, I'm with Claire on that one.  Knock it off with MFA.  All folks want is access to decent health care since companies have taken such delight in either knocking employees off via shifting full time employees to "consultants" or diluting their coverage to the point it becomes almost impossible to use.  Give people an option that they can reach out to if this happens to them.  It's not hard but then again I guess it is when it hasn't happened to you.

27 minutes ago, oakville said:

There was no wave of kids showing up to vote for Senator Claire in 2018. She isn't as popular with the young crowd.

Poor Claire.  Sucks when you don't run against a potted plant.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

I read a terrific article a year or so ago about how pollsters have been thrown into a tizzy as their samples were usually taken via land line phones and they are still struggling to catch up/hone their newfound data inputs as these new ones can be hacked so easily.  Seriously, enough.

The poll results are skewed right out of the gate because, honestly, which voting demographic still has a land line? Which demographic answers the phone when it rings/when an unknown number calls instead of letting it go to voice mail? The olds, for the most part, that's who. Telephone polls are unreliable indicators.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - 99.9% of those who speak out/act out against MFA already have health insurance. "So, fuck the rest of you losers."

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Ok, I'm with Claire on that one.  Knock it off with MFA.  All folks want is access to decent health care since companies have taken such delight in either knocking employees off via shifting full time employees to "consultants" or diluting their coverage to the point it becomes almost impossible to use.  Give people an option that they can reach out to if this happens to them.  It's not hard but then again I guess it is when it hasn't happened to you.

ITA. 

MFA is a flash point, it gets viewers riled up and may keep them tuned in.

These polls mean jack shit now.    But it does keep Steve Kornacki employed.  Watch the donations, and crowds and enthusiasm.  

If you don't have a land line, you probably didn't get polled. And asking college kids what they want is fine if you want to know what college kids want, it's like asking ladies who have 4 cats what they want, okay fine but it's not a real cross section of the country. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Since when does Meeka watch Dancing With The Stars?

I saw some of it on First Look. My God a 30 gallon trash can has more dancing talent than Sean Spicer. 

Don't even tell me he got Kate Flannery kicked off!! 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I saw some of it on First Look. My God a 30 gallon trash can has more dancing talent than Sean Spicer. 

Don't even tell me he got Kate Flannery kicked off!! 

I don't find this surprising after DWTS was shocked when Master P made it through way more eliminations than he should have after he substituted for his son Romeo after he was injured (he was clearly meant to be a stand in for Romeo's unexpected injury but the seed was planted).  DWTS knew exactly what they were doing based on this reaction to fan base:

Dancing with the Stars 2

He was a contestant on season 2 of Dancing with the Stars, replacing his son Romeo who dropped out due to an injury. He partnered with Ashly DelGrosso and received a total score of 8 out of 30 for his Paso Doble, the lowest score in the show's history. He was eliminated in Week 4.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Ok, I'm on a roll today . . . who cares about polls in our current environment (and not just political environment)?  The sands shift literally every day so asking questions at a given moment could (and probably will be) rendered useless the following hour/day/week.  Good grief, could the networks (on the news side) do their job and report the news and drop opinions please?

Am I the only one who thinks the polls look EXACTLY the same, every single day, and have been since 2016? Every day it's like "omg the majority oppose him!" and every day it's like "but 30ish percent adore him unconditionally", which was exactly the status quo before the last election/ There is literally never any change and yet slight fluctuations are treated as historical events worthy of 20-30 minutes of analysis. I'm not even being snarky, just genuinely confused.

Edited by neona
  • Love 5

Joe and Mika are in the studio with Steve Korniacki, Heidi P, and David Ignatius.   Trump's chosen candidate, Matt Bevini, lost the governor's race in Kentucky. 

Joe is doing a weird Southern drawl and saying he Lindsey Graham.  It's really weird.

Joe said Virginia is completely blue.

Joe is not making much sense.  He is asking and answering his own questions.  Then he is laughing at himself and yelling. He invited to Donald Trump to get up next to the screen and look at the election results.  Then he screamed at Trump to drink Tang and watch some cage fights. WTF. Mika looks exhausted by Joe. 

Steve said Bevin had some issues and tried to align himself with Trump.  They had a live report from Kentucky.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • LOL 1
3 minutes ago, nittanycougar said:

Joe and Mika are in the studio with Steve Korniacki, Heidi P, and David Ignatius.   Trump's chosen candidate, Matt Bevinl, ost the governor's race in Kentucky. 

Joe is doing a weird Southern drawl and saying he Lindsey Graham.  It's really weird.

Joe said Virginia is completely blue.

Joe is not making much sense.  He is asking and answering his own questions.  Then he is laughing at himself and yelling. He invited to Donald Trump to get up next to the screen and look at the election results.  Then he screamed at Trump to drink Tang and watch some cage fights. WTF. Mika looks exhausted by Joe.  

No kidding, yikes somebody really missed being on the air for a couple of days.  I could hear him screaming from the next room.  Meeks looked like she had completely zoned out there for about 3-4 seconds.  Boy it must be fun to be them!

• Love 3

Barnicle and Steve K said that the Virginia results show that Republicans can't rely on the suburbs.

Joe said this is the Kentucky election was the greatest landslide in history.  I think Joe needs more sleep.  He is not making a ton of sense today.  Maybe he means it is his favorite landslide?  The greatest election landslide numbers-wise in my lifetime was when Mondale only won 2 states in 1984.  

Edited by nittanycougar

I love when David Fahrenthold is on, he's such a great reporter and guest.  So I see our little local story about the Trump Hotel has made the national news.  It's such a shame as it's a lovely hotel in a gorgeous part of the city.  I feel bad for the workers, if the capacity is that low I can't imagine the layoffs that may be taking place.

Funny story about when the building was under construction.  It was no secret that Trump and Rahm Emanuel (who was the mayor of Chicago at the time) hated each other so the building was always a burr under his saddle but rumor has it the day they started to put those 20 foot high gold letters on the side of the building, Emanuel's bodyguards were glad the car had child proof locks as he got so angry they were afraid he was going to jump out of the car, scale the building like Spider-Man and rip them off with his bare hands.  Seriously, he did everything he could within Chicago's rather suspect legal system to get them outlawed but no dice . . . 😃

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:

No kidding, yikes somebody really missed being on the air for a couple of days.  I could hear him screaming from the next room.  Meeks looked like she had completely zoned out there for about 3-4 seconds.  Boy it must be fun to be them!

Mika needs headphones or ear plugs. Joe should calm down.

Kentucky voted for a Democratic Governor in 2011 & then Romney obtained 60% of the vote in 2012. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

So that's what a hungover vampire looks like slumped at a desk in the morning defending America's brand of nationalistic populism. 
Thanks, Rich Lowry.  Now we know.
Oh, also, suburban Virginia has a wooden stake they'd like to talk to you about.

• LOL 8
15 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

So that's what a hungover vampire looks like slumped at a desk in the morning defending America's brand of nationalistic populism. 
Oh, also, suburban Virginia has a wooden stake they'd like to talk to you about.

Yeah I missed this discussion as I was too busy running out of the room screaming.  Good grief it's too early in the morning for that duo and their ramblings.  Ugh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Thanks, I missed the introduction, and it seemed like Lowry had wandered into the wrong news channel. 

Glad they are rerunning the first hour. Always enjoy a good Trump/Tang reference. 

2 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

He invited to Donald Trump to get up next to the screen and look at the election results.  Then he screamed at Trump to drink Tang and watch some cage fights. WTF. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

I know what Mika is scribbling on her notepad.  "Help."
She looks like she's a hostage.  I get the impressions she hates Weird Energy Joe.

Hee!  It's been a long time since I've watched the entire show but Meeks is radiating some weird vibes.  She looks like she's duct taped to the chair otherwise she would bolt.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Oh, look...Rich Lowry who posits that immigrants must learn to speak English if they want to live here because NATIONALISM! (Um...which he defined as a black person and a white person meeting on the steps of the Louvre [or something] and having SO MUCH IN COMMON!]). What a hot, refreshing take, Rich Lowry.  Please return to your cave now. 

Shocked that Joe didn't die of a rage stroke this morning. There are 15 minutes left so, you know, keep hope alive and all. 

Joe must not be wearing any pants today. I noticed the camera had those two framed like they were sitting at a child's Little Tykes table. 

ETA: Just wanted to add that Rich Lowry's "nationalism" is a nice way of rephrasing encoded racism. I can't believe they had him on the show to peddle his bullshit to their viewers. 

2 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Well, as long as he’s not booing Trump at a sporting event...

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

As soon as I found out that Lowry was the next guest and he was going to extolling the virtues of nationalism I turned the show off.

It seems like I made the right decision.

His whole "Moscow Mitch" rant was annoying. I hate to break it too you Joe, but the "youth" run through memes really quickly and that one expired a month ago.

ETA Apparently RedPaul (Rand) is the hot new meme.

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

I love when David Fahrenthold is on, he's such a great reporter and guest.  So I see our little local story about the Trump Hotel has made the national news.  It's such a shame as it's a lovely hotel in a gorgeous part of the city.  I feel bad for the workers, if the capacity is that low I can't imagine the layoffs that may be taking place.

Funny story about when the building was under construction.  It was no secret that Trump and Rahm Emanuel (who was the mayor of Chicago at the time) hated each other so the building was always a burr under his saddle but rumor has it the day they started to put those 20 foot high gold letters on the side of the building, Emanuel's bodyguards were glad the car had child proof locks as he got so angry they were afraid he was going to jump out of the car, scale the building like Spider-Man and rip them off with his bare hands.  Seriously, he did everything he could within Chicago's rather suspect legal system to get them outlawed but no dice . . . 😃

I remember when working on the Chicago Trump Tower was the reward for winning the Apprentice show hosted by Trump.

Mika said there might be bed bugs at the Chicago hotel . Yikes!

• Love 1

Joe forgot to mention that the Republicans won all the other statewide races in Kentucky. I suspect voters were mad at the Governor.

Gov Bevin was mean to the MSNBC reporter.

Joe said Mitch McConnell has a very low approval rating in Kentucky . He is doomed.

Joe is an expert on Kentucky because his parents went to school there.

Viewers are lucky that Joe has a connection to virtually every state in America.

I miss the stories of Joe driving around the Northeast with his parents when he was younger.

I would love to get a close up of Mika's yellow legal pad.

• Love 4

How is this okay that Joe constantly does broad comedic Southern imitations?  He wouldn't try to sound like a dumb Hispanic  or African American person.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

How is this okay that Joe constantly does broad comedic Southern imitations?  He wouldn't try to sound like a dumb Hispanic  or African American person.

On previous episodes, Joe said he grew up watching Boss Hogg on the Dukes of Hazzard & Matlock. The tv show Matlock inspired him to go to law school. He uses those 2 accents on the show.

• LOL 1
18 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

OMG, please keep your voice down. If he hears you he will have a red-faced shit fit and climb through your TV screen into your home and make you wish you had never opened your mouth. And the rest of us will have to listen to it.

See Mika's micro-expressions for confirmation of this.

Joe doing Southern Man is the worst, the absolute worst. Insult to injury, he thinks it is amusing. What I found entertaining was the wide shot of the guests who were struggling to keep a straight face while he screeched and droned on and on and on. He is manic, and way, way out of control. It's like watching Kanye Scarborough.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

When someone like Steve Kornacki has to appear on the late prime time shows and then double back in the early AM, does he even try to go home or does MSNBC roll out a hideaway cot?

Didn't Mika say on Monday that Joe was doing dad duty all week?  What's he doing here today?

28 minutes ago, oakville said:

Gov Bevin was mean to the MSNBC reporter.

Dag.  Willie said it well, "That's the charm that led him to a 34% approval rating."  What an asshole.

4 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

The greatest election landslide numbers-wise in my lifetime was when Mondale only won 2 states in 1984.  

I was a teenager when McGovern was shut out everywhere but Massachusetts and D.C.  Joe also said that the 2018 election was the largest Congressional landslide in history.  Which is flat out wrong. 

I see a Starbucks cup in the breakfast nook.

3 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

I love when David Fahrenthold is on, he's such a great reporter and guest.

Agree.  Thorough, fascinating reporting, and he elevates the discussion wherever he goes.  Last time I saw him was on Chris Hayes's show, and I could have listened all night.

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, oakville said:

I miss the stories of Joe driving around the Northeast with his parents when he was younger.

Looking for young girls to recruit for the beauty contests? Little Miss Scarborough? 

Maybe he ate too much emotional support cake before the show and it was a sugar rush. 

I'm really glad I turned on the West Wing and went back to sleep. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

When someone like Steve Kornacki has to appear on the late prime time shows and then double back in the early AM, does he even try to go home or does MSNBC roll out a hideaway cot?

I don't understand why Steve has to yell and talk so fast.  It's very difficult to watch his segment. I keep wanting to yell at him "Please for the love of God, calm the fuck down, slow down, and stop going back 20 years to try to prove a point." 

Oh look in 2016 this county went with Trump and now they elected a Democrat governor. Yeah Steve, did you hear about 2018?   It indicates that people weren't happy. 

21 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

What an asshole.

Willie or Bevin? 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Oh, look...Rich Lowry who posits that immigrants must learn to speak English if they want to live here because NATIONALISM!

I didn't watch the show today so I don't know what else Rich Lowry said, but, to be fair, President Obama recently suggested that immigrants should learn to speak English.   

• Useful 2
19 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I didn't watch the show today so I don't know what else Rich Lowry said, but, to be fair, President Obama recently suggested that immigrants should learn to speak English. 

I think most younger people do learn English, they know they have to in order to get jobs etc.  Guess what Rich? I have to deal with Hispanics who work for the landscape company and I've picked up a few words of Spanish, had signs made in English and Spanish so they know what areas to trim, etc.  It really was not that big a deal.  And now I know how to say "Don't cut down plants in this bed" in Spanish! 

What peeves me about Lowry is this "you must assimilate" bullshit.   He's just trying to not be as overt about his racism as others, but the intent is there.  Whites only, or if not, try not to be "too different".  Be the good "other ones".   

2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Um...which he defined as a black person and a white person meeting on the steps of the Louvre [or something] and having SO MUCH IN COMMON!]). What a hot, refreshing take, Rich Lowry.  Please return to your cave now. 

Yeah what was that?    My head hurts. 

• Love 3

Obama is right and, depending on how he said it, so is Rich Lowry.

There are many ways to divide and classify us: race, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, education level, economic status, religious affiliation, political beliefs - the list goes on and on.

Language is - or has the potential to be - the biggest uniter.

All of us report medical symptoms, we report crimes, we look for missing kids or pets/we find missing kids or pets, we call 911, we go to parent teacher conferences, we shop, we sell things, we pay bills, we go to the bank, we watch for shit going down in our neighborhood, we work, we play - that list also goes on and on.

The ability levels will always vary - that is a given - but how nice (and how efficient) it would be for everyone involved if we had a better handle on what our fellow humans are saying to us and what we are saying to them in our daily lives. We would feel more ... united.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Joe returned this morning and before they even introduced the guests in the studio, Joe went into an approximately 5 minute long unhinged rant on the GOP/Trump losing Kentucky.  He was yelling and screaming, using a Southern drawl, etc. and basically acting like a complete loon.  All I could think was I wish they would have the camera pan the other people in the studio because I'm sure the expressions on their faces would have been hilarious!  Even Mika (to her credit) looked embarrassed. Also, Joe is out for 2 days, returns and doesn't even show up for the third hour.  MIA again. You've got a really sweet gig there, Joe.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Linda956 said:

Joe returned this morning and before they even introduced the guests in the studio, Joe went into an approximately 5 minute long unhinged rant on the GOP/Trump losing Kentucky.  He was yelling and screaming, using a Southern drawl, etc. and basically acting like a complete loon.  All I could think was I wish they would have the camera pan the other people in the studio because I'm sure the expressions on their faces would have been hilarious!  Even Mika (to her credit) looked embarrassed. Also, Joe is out for 2 days, returns and doesn't even show up for the third hour.  MIA again. You've got a really sweet gig there, Joe.

Someone posted on this forum that Joe takes his son to school at 7 45 am , so he is unavailable after that.

There were other posters that stated that Joe was busy talking to world leaders after 7 45 a.m.  about how to deal with President Trump. It is logical given the time change between Florida & Europe & the Middle East.

Joe's advice on baseball topics is also in high demand at this time of year.

There are rumors that Joe's band will be performing at Applebees in Jupiter Florida this weekend so he might have had to leave early to discuss song selection. Joe's written hundreds of songs, so its difficult to pick a playlist for a prestigious gig like Applebees.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Willie or Bevin? 

Bevin, of course.  Even if you'd never heard of the guy before, you'd watch that interview and wonder how someone like that decided a career in elected politics was advisable. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I think most younger people do learn English, they know they have to in order to get jobs etc.  Guess what Rich? I have to deal with Hispanics who work for the landscape company and I've picked up a few words of Spanish, had signs made in English and Spanish so they know what areas to trim, etc.  It really was not that big a deal.  And now I know how to say "Don't cut down plants in this bed" in Spanish! 

What peeves me about Lowry is this "you must assimilate" bullshit.   He's just trying to not be as overt about his racism as others, but the intent is there.  Whites only, or if not, try not to be "too different".  Be the good "other ones".   

I have had the luxury of being the very youngest amongst the very oldest in my family.  I have lived with my off the boat Czechoslovakian ancestors who could barely communicate with me as they lived in their communities that they carved out after coming to our wonderful country which they love dearly.  Each generation expanded that reach (not without some discomfort as my mom told me how she had a whopping two weeks to learn English when she started school or she would get socked (please keep in mind she was five) but learned she did and taught her parents and others our language and they happily assimilated into America but for those that were not born here were always more comfortable in their native language hence them smiling and nodding at me a lot.

It pains me to hear Lowry talk like this as I am pretty sure they are cherry picking folks to hold up as evidence of who is not assimilating.  Anyone that would walk thousands of miles to get here wants to be here and shame on you if you think differently as you yourself probably don't know the first thing about sacrifice.  I would imagine having to share a bathroom growing up is probably horrifying and I would bet he doesn't grasp the irony of not being able to communicate with the guys that mow his lawn.

Jerk.

Edited by Chloesmom
Somebody needed a bit of an edit
  • Love 12