Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

I don't care that she's the avatar of the left and the "it girl" of the moment, I cannot stand Elizabeth Warren.  Her forced, fake enthusiasm is so nerdy and watery.  And if it's not fake or forced, she's just awful.  I have zero toleranace for her schtick.
I also hate that Mika loves her. 

Couldn't agree more.  She adds nothing to the conversation. And I lost count how many times she started a sentence with "Look".  I appreciate that she worked to keep banks and Wall Street in line, but she should have stayed in that sector.  She has the personality of paint drying.  

As far as the DNC, I'd almost prefer they turn it back over to Howard Dean. Perez & Ellison both leave me cold. They may be good behind the scenes but it needs someone that doesn't put people to sleep when they talk. 

26 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Everyone made fun of Moore's lawyer

Regarding Moore, the best line I heard to really bring this home is Jordan Klepper referring to the first woman as "an Eighth Grader". 

Let that sink in. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

That was absolutely disgusting and horrible, but I thought the inference was of arranged marriages with younger girls because Ali is of Indian descent.

I think Ali was born in Kenya to an Ismail Muslim family but few up in Canada. I used to see him in downtown Toronto when he was working on Canadian TV. 

49 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Tee hee, she's really pissed about what that guy said to Ali and I say bravo!

I like Stephanie. It would be fascinating if she ever co hosted the show with Joe.

• Love 1

While I liked Stephanie sticking up for Ali, I usually can't stand to watch her because she tends to interrupt her guests, and she just gets too excitable at times.

I also don't like watching Elizabeth Warren even if I might agree with her on her policies.  Plus, the head--shaking is just too much. 

• Love 1

YMMV. Count me on the Warren Train. She made her own success, she didn't have to marry it. No six-figure speeches to Goldman Sachs in her past or future. She's a teacher by trade so she can sound didactic. And she can come off as excitable or - and I hate this word but it is what it is - shrill, but she can work on that and her presentation. Her politics and policies are bona fide and you can't fake that.

Mika bragged that Ivanka listened to her & hired Dinah Powell.

That Goldman Sachs shill? I wouldn't brag about that.

As far as the DNC, I'd almost prefer they turn it back over to Howard Dean

For that to happen, Dean would have to give up his lucrative lobbyist career working for the pharmaceutical industry.

I hope Mika does speak or write about her views of end-of-life issues like she mentioned to Christy Hefner. I'm still furious at the far right and their moronic shill Sarah Palin screeching falsely about death panels.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Count me on the Warren Train. She made her own success, she didn't have to marry it. No six-figure speeches to Goldman Sachs in her past or future.

When she was an attorney she worked with Travelers Insurance in Traveler's. v Bailey. Her work made it possible for defendants to be protected from future claims by setting up trusts that would only pay current plaintiffs. And she made a pretty hefty salary at Harvard,  $350,000 a year for teaching one class twice a week.  

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/04/30/elizabeth-warren-had-key-role-travelers-asbestos-case-before-supreme-court/yf2idVzvhK6jhzV2isAvnL/story.html

This is not really on topic here, but since you brought it up, I suggest you go to factcheck.org for an accurate discussion of Warren's role in the Johns-Manville case.

And yes, $350,000 for a year of work, while high, is not comparable to $250k for waddling through an hour-long speech where you blame homeowners for their role in the credit crisis.

• Love 3

One of the things about this show that really bugs me is that they really beat one subject to death.  I know Roy Moore is the hot topic of the days but do you have to do atleast 2 segments on it with different panelists???  They covered it very early in the show and then came back to it maybe a half hour later after some other topics and both times (actually every time) they just keep talking about the same stuff 

There is just so much going on under the radar of this administration I wish they'd take some time to cover other issues.  For example what the EPA and Interior are up to.  Yes raise the fee to visit a national park to $70 while lowering the amount oil and mining companies pay to drill and mine on federal lands.

I did like that the showed that Shep Smith tape yesterday but it would have been good to discuss the whole uranium deal but it's back to Roy Moore.

• Love 7

I think Warren is too old to run but I don't like the insinuation that she's shrill and unpleasant to watch speaking.

That's the same sexist BS that the Republicans used to attack Hilary.  They used to say she's got this undeserved sense of entitlement, etc.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, teddysmom said:

And I lost count how many times she started a sentence with "Look".

This is an ongoing pet peeve of mine and pretty much every politician is guilty of it!  When someone starts a sentence with "Look" I'm automatically put on the defense with them.  It's so aggressive and condescending!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, scrb said:

I don't like the insinuation that she's shrill and unpleasant to watch speaking.

She IS shrill and an unpleasant speaker.  She's just like Lawrence O'Donnell or Martin Bashir.  You're free to lecture to me if you're holding my interest, but that takes charisma, which she doesn't have.  There is zero chance she'll ever be an American President (I also said that about Trump, but she's appealing to the brainies, and he's appealing to the idiots, and there are SO MANY MORE stupids than smarts.)

• Love 4

There is zero chance she'll ever be an American President

If you’re right, that’s *one* thing she has in common with Hillary Clinton.

One person’s shrill is another person’s excitable or passionate. I am glad the show talked about the CFPB with her. I wish it had mentioned how that big goon and friend of the show Susan Collins was one of the senators who voted with Trump to make it hard for consumers to sue banks, which struck a huge blow against the bureau. Vive la resistance indeed. And I’m glad she mentioned what a corrupt shithole the DNC was last year.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Couldn't agree more.  She adds nothing to the conversation. And I lost count how many times she started a sentence with "Look".  I appreciate that she worked to keep banks and Wall Street in line, but she should have stayed in that sector.  She has the personality of paint drying.  

Part of Warren's problem, I think, is that due to circumstances she is repeatedly put in the position of having to react to the words and actions of a raving buffoon who gets away with calling her "Pocahontas."   It is always incumbent upon Warren to be the adult in the room.   When contrasted with that particular brand of lunacy, of course she is going to appear dull. 

• Love 5

Friday Recap. Joe is "on assignment". he is working on a Christmas album making fun of Trump. I think it is called a Drumpf Christmas. Joe is obsessed with making fun of Trump.

Mika is going of the rails today. She is demanding that Clinton should have resigned in 1998. She blames him for creating a climate where sexual harassment is tolerated.

Mika is exccited that Women Know their Value and are speaking out about sexual harassment.

She almost asked Donnie Deutsc, known feminist if he had treated women poorly over the past 30 years.

Donnie admitted that standards are different now.

Donnie wants to separate the RoY Moore accusers from the Al Franken accusers.

Mika was furious that Rogers Stone hinted on twitter that Franken would be outed yesterday. No one knew what she was talking about.

Willie said his daughter will be safe from sexual harassment.

KCDC got her her rock intro & discussed harassment on the hill.

Donnie is opposed to pedophelia.

Mika is happy that Halperin apologized. She demanded that people stop criticizing her for her views.

Mika is wearing more mascara now. It's too dark around her eyes.

Mika is mad that Halperin has not been rewarded for apologizing about his harassment.

Mika was finally able to get back to her safe space and start complaining about Trump officials Flynn around 6 40 am.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika is happy that Halperin apologized. She demanded that people stop criticizing her for her views.

Mika is wearing more mascara now. It's too dark around her eyes.

Mika is mad that Halperin has not been rewarded for apologizing about his harassment.

Thanks as always for your recaps Oakville.  I'm sorry I missed the part about Halperin and Mika complaining about people criticizing her views.  I'll have to make sure I catch the rerun in the last hour.   I agree, she was really on a tear when the show opened to the point she talked over the opening music.  I never thought I would hear myself say this but I kind of miss Joe . . . 

• Love 2

The first half hour of today's show was difficult to watch.   Panel asked a lot of hard questions for which there seem to be no clear answers, but the discussion of Roy Moore's supporters just made me heartsick.   Donnie asked the operative question: What have we become?   Then came the reports of how partisan hacks, Donald Trump foremost, are using the Franken mess to score political points.   Which naturally highlighted the grotesque hypocrisy of Republicans saying Trump's accusers are all lying.

Mika and company are saying that this ongoing outing of men who molest/abuse/harass will effect a sea change in male behavior but I'm not sure I believe it will.   Publicly shaming men is a short-term solution.  What really needs to change is our culture -- movies, television, music -- which teaches boys from a young age that manliness is measured by conquest.   Conquest in sports, conquest at work, and perhaps most important, conquest of women.   I'm not making excuses, but as boys grow up they are culturally conditioned to see women as entitlements and/or personal challenges.    The same programming leads men to believe they are failures if they do not "score."   Is it really any surprise that so many of them get into trouble?

I had a thought about the Al Franken pic that is making the rounds: if that were a scene from a comedy movie, it would probably get a lot of laughs and nobody would raise a fuss about it.   We have this culture that is sending two distinctly different messages:

tumblr_inline_o5bx7iPymx1t0ijhl_1280.jpg

and until everybody gets on the same page, I don't think anything will ever really change.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 7

Mika's rant was lame, at the least.  Did she purposely not call out the sexual harasser in chief by name who's fat ass is sitting in the White House?

And the Clinton stuff?  Guess she thought she could finally get her mean face on against them.

And Heilemann is a total no show on the subject.  Because of his buddy, Halperin?

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, oakville said:

Millennium is mad that Mika can sit on her high horse and call out Bill Clinton but has yet to say a WORD about serial groper George H.W. Bush.   Millennium is also mad that Mika condemns everyone else by name but shields Mark Halperin with the gentle sobriquet of "a friend of the show."

• Love 7

Mika  just suggested that the workplace should be kept for WORK, not dinner/drinks between male persons in power positions and female underlings.  Without a shred of self awareness. 

Edited by arejay
  • Love 13

I cannot believe what I just heard Mika say. I mean, I know I heard it because my hearing is quite good, but FFS it is incredible. When the conversation turns to the idea that it should be OK for a woman to go out with a male colleague or person in a leadership role if she wants to without feeling threatened or afraid, Mika rants that perhaps a woman shouldn't put herself in this position. That perhaps she shouldn't go out for drinks with the men in the office. That work should be work and not include this type of socializing. Um, hasn't she been banging a guy she works with for quite a while? Incredible. 

• Love 14
17 minutes ago, gundysgirl said:

I cannot believe what I just heard Mika say. I mean, I know I heard it because my hearing is quite good, but FFS it is incredible. When the conversation turns to the idea that it should be OK for a woman to go out with a male colleague or person in a leadership role if she wants to without feeling threatened or afraid, Mika rants that perhaps a woman shouldn't put herself in this position. That perhaps she shouldn't go out for drinks with the men in the office. That work should be work and not include this type of socializing. Um, hasn't she been banging a guy she works with for quite a while? Incredible. 

I was in the other room, and only half listening when she said that, and I thought I misheard because Mika couldn't possibly be so self-involved that she couldn't see how that also applied to her situation. Geez.

I agree with @Millennium, why no calling out of Grabby Bush? She's calling out Drumpf and the Clintonz, but not him? To paraphrase Roger Stone, they're all in the barrel now.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, millennium said:

The first half hour of today's show was difficult to watch.   Panel asked a lot of hard questions for which there seem to be no clear answers, but the discussion of Roy Moore's supporters just made me heartsick.   Donnie asked the operative question: What have we become?   Then came the reports of how partisan hacks, Donald Trump foremost, are using the Franken mess to score political points.   Which naturally highlighted the grotesque hypocrisy of Republicans saying Trump's accusers are all lying.

Mika and company are saying that this ongoing outing of men who molest/abuse/harass will effect a sea change in male behavior but I'm not sure I believe it will.   Publicly shaming men is a short-term solution.  What really needs to change is our culture -- movies, television, music -- which teaches boys from a young age that manliness is measured by conquest.   Conquest in sports, conquest at work, and perhaps most important, conquest of women.   I'm not making excuses, but as boys grow up they are culturally conditioned to see women as entitlements and/or personal challenges.    The same programming leads men to believe they are failures if they do not "score."   Is it really any surprise that so many of them get into trouble?

I had a thought about the Al Franken pic that is making the rounds: if that were a scene from a comedy movie, it would probably get a lot of laughs and nobody would raise a fuss about it.   We have this culture that is sending two distinctly different messages:

tumblr_inline_o5bx7iPymx1t0ijhl_1280.jpg

and until everybody gets on the same page, I don't think anything will ever really change.

I wish I could be as eloquent in the morning as you!

Edited by oakville
  • Love 3

Incidentally, Mika's condescending introduction of Donnie Deutsch, replying "because you're reprehensible" when he asked why she introduces him like that -- totally out of line.   Flip it around, envision Scarborough giving a sneering introduction to a female guest and then telling her he thinks she's reprehensible (even though she hasn't said anything yet).    It wouldn't fly.  

I suspect Mika was attempting to be funny but it didn't play like that.  It was awkward.

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, Lokiberry said:

I was in the other room, and only half listening when she said that, and I thought I misheard because Mika couldn't possibly be so self-involved that she couldn't see how that also applied to her situation. Geez.

I agree with @Millennium, why no calling out of Grabby Bush? She's calling out Drumpf and the Clintonz, but not him? To paraphrase Roger Stone, they're all in the barrel now.

H. W. Bush is a friend of the show. He gets immunity.

4 minutes ago, millennium said:

Incidentally, Mika's condescending introduction of Donnie Deutsch, replying "because you're reprehensible" when he asked why she introduces him like that -- totally out of line.   Flip it around, envision Scarborough giving a sneering introduction to a female guest and then telling her he thinks she's reprehensible (even though she hasn't said anything yet).    It wouldn't fly.  

I suspect Mika was attempting to be funny but it didn't play like that.  It was awkward.

Mika has been mean to Donnie for years. He used to bring her Louboutin shoes to apologize. She liked the shoes. 

• Love 4

Mika takes everything to the extreme. They're talking about how women and men should act in and out of the workplace -- especially with many more women in the workplace at positions which are not all subordinate. The panel seems to agree that co-workers should be able to go out together for dinner and drinks and Mika jumps in and says, no! They shouldn't! No fraternizing at all! Oh come on, Mika! What are we? Saudi Arabia, where women and men must always remain separate? Must never socialize together for fear of harassment or being accused of harassment? Geez. Let's just learn to be respectful to each other as human beings, and stop sexualizing each other without permission. Done.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 12

I'm in a hotel lobby (I've been out of town for work this week) and Morning Joe is being shown on the TV. Mika is really, really bad on her own, isn't she?  Way too much drama in her voice even for the most mundane comment.

I get the feeling she is beating these drums to get support for "Know Your Value".  Blech

I will say that I like she's growing her hair out. Now if she'd ditch the platinum blonde and go back to a darker color like the early days. 

Shallow comment over. 

Friday Recap. Joe is "on assignment". he is working on a Christmas album making fun of Trump. I think it is called a Drumpf Christmas.

And here I thought you were slipping us some entertainment but OMG it's true. Two hella prime news days, and he is "on assignment." Gah!

Joe is now the Weird Al Yankovich of cable news, except his grasp of satire and irony is zero. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, millennium said:

For me, her attempts at humor always fall flat. She isn't funny, and I don't think she has much of a sense of humor. It is just always awkward. 

34 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Mika.........

Men and women co-workers:  Going out for drinks after work.  NO! ?

Man and woman co-workers:  Having an affair, divorcing spouses, getting engaged.  YES! ???

This all day long. Maybe they didn't indulge in adult libations while doing all of the sneaking around so she thinks it is A-OK. Everyone else on set seemed uncomfortable with her little rant. 

• Love 5

It was Donnie who pointed out that these “new economy” workplaces have nap-rooms, free beer and wine, etc. And it’s not a trivial point.  There was an article online (Boston Globe?) a week or so ago that raised this is problematic for blurring lines between work and not-work. Not only for harassment, but between work life and private life.

I agree with Donnie. This is all bad, but isolated or old incidents of bad conduct are different than Roy Moore, Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, and yes, Mark Halperin. 

My issue with Mika’s rant on the Clintons, which I actually loved, is her focus on Lewinsky.  The power differential was astronomical and Clinton exhibited rash and exploitative behavior, but Lewinsky herself insists it was consensual.  Her focus should have been on Juanita Broaddrick, Paula Jones and Kathleen Wiley. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Mika

1 hour ago, Ladyrain said:

Mika.........

Man and woman co-workers:  Having an affair, divorcing spouses, getting engaged.  YES! ???

This is the post of the day. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinski are both promiscuous and had sex with each other.  Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough are both promiscuous and had sex with each other.   What's the issue?

Joe is the host of the 95th ranked cable news show. He is also a leading producer of satirical songs about President & the author of several books, some which have sold over 1000 copies. He is the voice of a generation. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ladyrain said:

Mika.........

Leaving aside the *promotional* material that was created for the show which usually had Mika draped over furniture in seductive poses with her legs up in the air, while the man or men around her were fully clothed from head to foot standing or sitting around her as it she were an ornament or a lamp. It put me in mind of that Christmas Story movie. They should've just taken the picture with Joe, Willie, and Barnicle all standing around the leg lamp representing Mika.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Leaving aside the *promotional* material that was created for the show which usually had Mika draped over furniture in seductive poses with her legs up in the air, while the man or men around her were fully clothed from head to foot standing or sitting around her as it she were an ornament or a lamp. It put me in mind of that Christmas Story movie. They should've just taken the picture with Joe, Willie, and Barnicle all standing around the leg lamp representing Mika.

Know Your Value (when agreeing to being  sexually objectified in a national publication. )

• Love 5

Mika's very bizarre rant about how women shouldn't socialize with male colleagues outside of work blew my mind. Like I'm sure many men would agree...if she doesn't want it she shouldn't be having a cocktail discussing departmental issues with me! There's so many things wrong with that whole idea of Mikas I can't even comprehend she said that and went on and in about it!  The guys seemed speechless as well. Donnie tried to gently get her away from the point but she persisted. WTH!!! Think before you spew words Mika! I would have liked to have heard what Joe would have said when he cut her off after 2 sentences.

As Oakville noted the eye makeup was so heavy today it was forced her eyes half closed at times.  Thank god it's Friday!

Edited by novhappy
  • Love 4

I hope come Monday the show has moved on to another subject. Because when fat ass and sexual predator in chief goes after Al Franken, it's time to roll out Gloria Allred and all of fat ass's accusers.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 7

Putting aside all the issues regarding the affair with Joe, I think Mika met her first husband at work, also. So, fraternizing with male colleagues has been SOP for Mika (not saying there's anything wrong with that, but it makes Mika's rant all the more ludicrous). She actually would have been a good person to provide some nuance to the situation, having seen both sides, but she went too far in the other direction.

She is talking about writing about this issue in her book. Hopefully, she will address the issue more thoughtfully in the book.

• Love 2

I cringed so hard during that shit. Cocktails alone with a flirty superior? Maybe not the greatest. Coworkers blowing off steam at happy hour after work? A daily occurrence. Steve Rattner is a coworker, and they obviously socialize with him. And how about being so close to Chris Licht that they hung at the hospital with him and called the VP for help? She’s obviously sort of blaming socializing for her Joe situation - for all to see. Get over yourself, Ms. leg in the air. 

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, EmeraldGirl said:

. Get over yourself, Ms. leg in the air. 

Her family must've been soooo proud of that photo.  God knows what hubby was thinking, or maybe I do - handwriting on the wall.

On another note, I hope she's serious about growing out the hair.  It looks better already, all 1/4 inch of it.  And if she dyes it because she's going gray, it's redundant because it looks white.

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 3

I laughed when Mika called Mnucin's wife a Bond Villain. If you look at the photo, Mrs MoneyBags looks like Mika!

Mika is the original Bond Villainess of Morning Cable TV.

I enjoyed the interviews with Tim Ryan from Ohio & John Delaney from Maryland. He's running for President!

Mika got mad at viewers who called her the female Mike Pence who is afraid to socialize with ladies who aren't his wife.

Donny made several good points about companies bringing in couches & sleep pods & alcohol to the work place. It blurs the line between work & home.  I would love to work at these type of companies.