Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Choices

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Dr. Halstead revives a "do-not-resuscitate" terminally ill cancer patient, and the repercussions prompt his quick removal from the case and a pending lawsuit against Chicago Med. A homeless man's arrival is passed down to April and an uneager Dr. Reese, but the circumstances surrounding his short stay catch both off-guard. Following the assessment and treatment of a bi-polar patient with an unhealthy dependence for lithium, Dr. Choi's own personal issues come to the surface, prompting him to seek the advice of Dr. Charles. The medical staff is shocked to learn one of their own has life-threatening disease.

Dr. Halstead revives a "do-not-resuscitate" terminally ill cancer patient, and the repercussions prompt his quick removal from the case and a pending lawsuit against Chicago Med

ARRRRRGHHHH!

I know this is too close to be anything other than coincidence, but I hated it when Code Black did this exact same story two weeks ago, and I'm going to hate it worse because it's not even a character I like.

• Love 4

I bet you that we're supposed to like the guy, or at least find him morally grey...or something.

But when I saw the promo for the first time last week, all I could think about was how this'll obviously turn out well and he'll save the woman and she might be initially angry, but then she'll change her mind for whatever reason and everything will be all dandy and Dr. McDouche won't get into any trouble whatsoever and....

WAH. 

• Love 2

My NBC station, at least, showed this an hour early so I caught only the last minute.  Might have been nice if they had told some of the online TV schedule sites about the change.  Anyone know if the NBC site has episodes online the next day?

My NBC station, at least, showed this an hour early so I caught only the last minute.  Might have been nice if they had told some of the online TV schedule sites about the change.  Anyone know if the NBC site has episodes online the next day?

No clue about the NBC site, but I know Amazon video has all the Chicago franchise shows. But you either have to buy a season pass or can purchase individual episodes (like iTunes).

• Love 1

I've watched it on demand the next day so I think it would also be online.

• Love 1

God, that judgemental look from Dr. McDouche about the cancer patient's DNR...at least Manning tried to stay neutral about it and tried to stop him. It's not your job to tell your patient, who has had cancer for four years, what to do. If she chose a DNR, it's for a reason. Respect it, douchebag. Here's the thing: I don't feel like he wanted to help out out of care for her. McDouche barely knew the woman at that point. It's that he wants to save her, and he doesn't believe in DNRs or whatever. He thinks he knows better just because he's a doctor/ I know his mother died of cancer or whatever, but he doesn't know this woman or what she's been through. So screw him for implanting his own beliefs onto this poor woman. Now I'm back to full-blown hating him. 

If I was Goodwin, I would have at least suspended him. And yes for Manning standing up for herself! But technically, he should be terminated, seeing as the husband never told him to resuscitate his wife, and McDouche knew about the DNR. He presented the trial, she refused, he should have let her go. 

Oh! Choi! Poor Choi! I felt so bad for him, especially in his end scene. Reese's patient's fate was so sad too. Poor guy.

Dr. Hotshot is dying. Ok. I could care more, if he had been in more than two episodes. I also don't know about Connor working under Hotshot. He seemed like he was ok with going back to trauma, but then Zanetti had to jump in. I don't know; I guess I see why, but I'll have to reserve my judgement for a bit longer.

• Love 4

I totally thought Dr. Hotshot was just a weirdo pothead.

Mind you, I also thought Dr. Choi was going to say that his mother was bi-polar! Dr. Choi's War Backstory of Woe seems a little out of left field, but putting the cast in scenes with Oliver Platt is never wrong, so I'm good with this.

I don't think we are supposed to feel that Dr. Douche Canoe was in the right; or at least I have no problem disrespecting his "I DOCTOR, you STUPID PATIENT" arrogance. I think in a real hospital, he'd have been fired on the spot, rather than warned or even suspended. Hey, Doc -- the fact that your mum died of cancer? Terrible. Heartbreaking. And not relevant in the least to your legal responsibility -- or your Hippocratic Oath, for that matter.

I understand where Dr. Manning is coming from, but I don't think Halstead was disrespecting her. He'd have to be thinking of her at all to do that.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 7

Why in the world do they keep insisting on making Dr. Halstead so unlikable? I think the "my mom died of cancer" sob story was supposed to make us sympathize with him, and while I do feel for the guy, that was all the more reason he should've been taken off the case. I used to think he and Dr. Manning would be cute together, but now I think she's way too good for him and his self-righteous self-absorption. 

I loved Dr. Choi's storyline. I think it seems out of left field given that the specific case this week had nothing to do with his issues, particularly, but I think over the course of the season, it makes total sense. He's obviously been battling some demons, and I figured they had something to do with his time in the Navy. And from what I know of military, first responders, etc., it's a huge struggle for them to admit any sort of trauma, etc. for fear of being seen as weak, which makes Dr. Choi's scene with Dr. Charles all the more powerful. (LOVED Dr. Charles', "I'm glad you stopped by.") 

Also? Dr. Choi in uniform last week, and then this week with the punching bag? Yes, please. #shallow

Edited by oucellogal
  • Love 7

Why in the world do they keep insisting on making Dr. Halstead so unlikable? I think the "my mom died of cancer" sob story was supposed to make us sympathize with him, and while I do feel for the guy, that was all the more reason he should've been taken off the case. I used to think he and Dr. Manning would be cute together, but now I think she's way too good for him and his self-righteous self-absorption. 

I loved Dr. Choi's storyline. I think it seems out of left field given that the specific case this week had nothing to do with his issues, particularly, but I think over the course of the season, it makes total sense. He's obviously been battling some demons, and I figured they had something to do with his time in the Navy. And from what I know of military, first responders, etc., it's a huge struggle for them to admit any sort of trauma, etc. for fear of being seen as weak, which makes Dr. Choi's scene with Dr. Charles all the more powerful. (LOVED Dr. Charles', "I'm glad you stopped by.") 

Also? Dr. Choi in uniform last week, and then this week with the punching bag? Yes, please. #shallow

In a quietly overarching story, his nightmares might be why he was so originally pissed at that teen mom who abandoned her baby.  I don't think he could take seeing another seemingly dead kid.

• Love 2
In a quietly overarching story, his nightmares might be why he was so originally pissed at that teen mom who abandoned her baby.  I don't think he could take seeing another seemingly dead kid.

You're quite right. I'm interested in both going back and re-watching now that I know what his damage is, and seeing how the character evolves going forward now that he's taken a step to deal with his issues. He seemed very judgmental/black-and-white this season; it'll be cool to see if he softens any.

Maybe Choi's crisis isn't so out of step with what we've seen before as I thought; I hadn't considered his strong reaction to the abandoned baby case. Didn't he also insist on taking on an obstetrical case in the pilot that kind of went south, and didn't somebody senior (Sharon or Connor, I forget just now) chastise him for taking it on when he ought to have known he was out of his depth?

Edited by Sandman

And..... now I love Dr. Platt again.  His "this is medical" when Choi wanted to ditch the lady and putting her back on litium was awful.  I'm going to have to take some time to like Choi again though even with his sad story.  Throwing Wellbutrin, Prozac and Effexor at the patient with their awful side effects is not necessarily the right decision.

The patient made her own choice, So did the cancer patient and Halstead was wrong to ignore her because of his own issues.  The same think happened on Code Black week ago but while there were no real consequences on that show, here there are real ones.  (One of the reasons I think this is a better medical show.)

Even if he wanted this mother to live as his own didn't, Halstead should have acknowledged that just because you're in a drug study, it doesn't mean it's going to work.  When I was going through chemotherapy, I volunteered for a drug study because I thought it was my responsibility because all of the people who had volunteered to test my drugs. It turned out that the drug made no difference in the outcome but did make the side effects of the other drugs much worse.  I completely understand why the mother would not want to keep trying new tortures but just wanted to spend time with her family.

Reese and the homeless man was so sad.  Shame on us as a society for not taking care of people like that. (I almost expected him to have been a vet and tie it into Choi's story since 1/3 of homeless men (according to study I read) are vets.

If I was Goodwin, I would have at least suspended him. And yes for Manning standing up for herself! But technically, he should be terminated, seeing as the husband never told him to resuscitate his wife, and McDouche knew about the DNR. He presented the trial, she refused, he should have let her go. 

Goodwin said she couldn't because it would be the hospital admitting liability.  Never admitting to a mistake is SOP in the medical world even though studies have found that if doctors admit it and apologize, many lawsuits get dropped.  All the patients wanted was an acknowledgement of the mistake and an apology.

Will Dr. Rhodes leave the ED and move into cardio thoracic surgery?  I hope not, I like him and I like his relationship with Zanetti who doesn't put up with any of his stuff.

• Love 1

Thank heavens I am glad I am not the only one enjoying the eye candy!

Please fire Dr. Halstead. I would rather watch Oliver Platt sleep on the couch in his office than watch his self righteous, douche bag ass!

• Love 5

And..... now I love Dr. Platt again.  His "this is medical" when Choi wanted to ditch the lady and putting her back on litium was awful.  I'm going to have to take some time to like Choi again though even with his sad story.  Throwing Wellbutrin, Prozac and Effexor at the patient with their awful side effects is not necessarily the right decision.

Will Dr. Rhodes leave the ED and move into cardio thoracic surgery?  I hope not, I like him and I like his relationship with Zanetti who doesn't put up with any of his stuff.

Choi shocked me when he said Olivia should just pull herself together. Both my ex-boyfriend and my best friend's husband have bipolar and there is absolutely no way either of them could do without meds. I remember how many very long conversations we had to have with my best friend's parents and parents-in-law when her husband was diagnosed and had to stay at the hospital until they found the right meds and dose. They were all in their 70s at the time and it took quite some time until they managed to grasp that this is a medical issue, not a matter of self-indulgence. So hearing a doctor say it wasn't medical raised my blood pressure.

While I usually like Zanetti, she didn't even want to know what Rhodes' reason for declining was.The fact that Zanetti would love to go into this field doesn't have to mean everyone does. I thought his turnaround was rather hasty as well. 'Oh, you're dying, that does of course change everything. Screw trauma.'

Please fire Dr. Halstead. I would rather watch Oliver Platt sleep on the couch in his office than watch his self righteous, douche bag ass!

Snoring Platt is ten times better than a single word out of Halstead. I was so glad he didn't get away with his shenenigans this time. Considering his antics from episode one on, I was sure, they would have the husband actually thank him for not letting his wife die, so this was a pleasant surprise. Also, way to finally grow a pair, Manning. I didn't see that one coming.

• Love 2

God, that judgemental look from Dr. McDouche about the cancer patient's DNR...at least Manning tried to stay neutral about it and tried to stop him. It's not your job to tell your patient, who has had cancer for four years, what to do. If she chose a DNR, it's for a reason. Respect it, douchebag. Here's the thing: I don't feel like he wanted to help out out of care for her. McDouche barely knew the woman at that point. It's that he wants to save her, and he doesn't believe in DNRs or whatever. He thinks he knows better just because he's a doctor/ I know his mother died of cancer or whatever, but he doesn't know this woman or what she's been through. So screw him for implanting his own beliefs onto this poor woman. Now I'm back to full-blown hating him. 

I don't think we are supposed to feel that Dr. Douche Canoe was in the right; or at least I have no problem disrespecting his "I DOCTOR, you STUPID PATIENT" arrogance. I think in a real hospital, he'd have been fired on the spot, rather than warned or even suspended. Hey, Doc -- the fact that your mum died of cancer? Terrible. Heartbreaking. And not relevant in the least to your legal responsibility -- or your Hippocratic Oath, for that matter.

I understand where Dr. Manning is coming from, but I don't think Halstead was disrespecting her. He'd have to be thinking of her at all to do that.

(LOVED Dr. Charles', "I'm glad you stopped by.") 

omg Dr. Douche was EGREGIOUSLY douche-y this week. I couldn't even watch it. I knew it was in the description and hoped against hope that his initial treatment of the woman before he knew about the DNR would be the kerfuffle. Of course not. He had to WILLFULLY ignore this woman's wishes because he knew better. I know doctors have a God complex - but maybe McDouche wants to be as practiced and revered as Dr. Pothead before playing God. I FF'd thru this entire storyline. 

Arrrgggh it made me so angry! How can the writers etc not see that they are not making him likable!?

I thought Choi was heartbreaking. While I was surprised by his "bi-polars just have to be stronger and power thru" (ok, Tom Cruise), I'm glad they at least explained his (albeit flawed) reasoning. He thinks he should be able to get this little girl out of his dreams and feels like he has failed. At least Dr. Charles schooled him about the professor. 

Oliver Platt continues to be brilliant.

• Love 6

I'll say at least one thing for this show: when they needed a cardiothoracic surgeon, they actually got one pretty quickly. Contrast this with Code Black where the surgeon usually doesn't show up until 15 minutes later because they're always busy and unavailable (a major character actually died waiting for a surgeon) and for some reason the hospital doesn't think to bring on some more resources to solve the crunch.

My read on Dr. Rhodes was that he wasn't uncomfortable so much with being trained as a cardiothoracic surgeon as that Dr. Pothead was showing blatant favoritism to him over Zanetti. Not only is she his girlfriend, she's also his attending physician. Rhodes is many things, but he doesn't seem to be an egotist who would relish jumping ahead in line.

Edited by Xantar
  • Love 4

I'm having trouble making a connection between "traumatic residual wartime feelings of helplessness" and "maybe she should suck it up and stop being so dramatic."

If we're meant to see the bi-polar incident as the latest questionable decision indicating a breakdown, I think they missed a few interim steps.  That was EGREGIOUS.

As was Halsted and the DNR.  At least try to look tortured and conflicted--like you're having a battle between your mind and your heart--instead of that smug Dr. Omnipotent posturing.

And exactly how hard up is that thirsty drug rep?  

• Love 5

I think Rhodes hesitation (although I may be projecting here) was because he had no idea why Dr. Hotshot picked him, and that's why he first to Sharon and then to Doper to ask.  He got no good answer and so he decided to stay in trauma. As far as he knew, it was entirely arbitrary and if it was arbitrary, Dr. Hotshot may have been equally likely to drop him after Rhodes had changed his life around for him.  It also must have brought back memories of his father, someone who made arbitrary decisions and refused to listen. When  Rhodes knew the reason he'd been selected, he was okay with it.

Just as both the cancer patient and the professor made decisions based on the side effects of their treatment, both Choi and Halstead decided they knew better based out of their own emotional traumas. It was a nice parallel.  Choi will do better because he at least recognizes that he has a problem and sought help.

I'd like to think that there was a Medical Professional Service Announcement in this episode -- don't disregard the impact of the side effects when you're making patient treatment decisions.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 6

I think I saw a couple of moments where Gehlfuss was able to convey some degree of conflict between what Halstead knew to be his duty as a physician and the promptings of his own trauma-inflected conscience -- but Halstead's actions were still reprehensible. In fact, I think it was clear that the member of that family he was identifying with (and listening to, when it came to the resuscitation) was the little girl.

I have less trouble with Gehlfuss's portrayal than I do with the way the character is written, even if I make allowances for the thought that he's not meant to be entirely an admirable or likable person.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 3

I have less trouble with Gehlfuss's portrayal than I do with the way the character is written, even if I make allowances for the thought that he's not meant to be entirely an admirable or likable person.

Agreed. I think Gehlfuss is doing the best he can with the material he's given, but the material isn't great. They need to make Halstead less douchey and more sympathetic, STAT. If they need tips on Creating A Likable Halstead, they can always pop over to Chicago PD.

I don't think he even necessarily needs to be more likable, but he has to be (a) believable and (b) interesting. "Douchenozzle" doesn't cover off either of those things, necessarily. Rocket Romano wasn't at all likable -- he was fairly awful at being a human being, really; but he was understandable and compelling. (Until, y'know, he was eaten by a jealous helicopter.)

I think if the show(s) made it clear why Brown Halstead is the non-jerky one in the family, and showed how that came about, and gave believable reasons for the conflicts between him and Red Halstead, it could be interesting. As it is, we just have more or less random "Oh, let's paste some sibling rivalry on these two, because it'll create drama."

• Love 3

I don't watch Chicago PD so I only know Brown Halstead from here, and in his two appearances he's told confidential (and incorrect) information to the firehouse gang and got angry at the man who couldn't afford cancer treatment and crashed his car to get it in jail.  He makes Red Halstead look like a good guy.

I agree about Rocket Romano but a lot of that was in the acting.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

I'm having trouble making a connection between "traumatic residual wartime feelings of helplessness" and "maybe she should suck it up and stop being so dramatic."

Because he was projecting on her.  He thinks that acknowledging that he has PTSD is a weakness, because he feels HE should suck it up and stop being so dramatic.  I have to admit, I'm really, REALLY glad they stuck the reveal of his experience into this episode, because if they'd left it hanging and dropped it later, I don't know if I would have been as sympathetic.  There's too much stigma about mental health being less authentic than physical health, so seeing that Choi's problem was actually his own mental health made me relax my haunches.

Which is good, because I was ready to put my foot through the TV at Halstead.  I've really tried to remain agnostic on him, but I don't know if there's any coming back from that.  The character on Code Black that committed medical battery was at least one I liked.  Goodwin should have fired his ass.  There are very few things I take a dimmer view of than a doctor imposing his or her will onto a patient.

So, that's two different storylines that Reese was involved in that made me cry.  For a character that I thought was an annoying twit, that's quite a turnaround.  "A great doctor."  Sniff.

• Love 5

Thank heavens I am glad I am not the only one enjoying the eye candy!

I'll take one of those #TeamChoi tee-shirts too, please! I think Rhoads was intended to be the "hot" one, but, Choi has turned out to be a NICE surprise!

• Love 4

I had a feeling Dr. Hotshot was terminal and had selected Rhodes to be his padawan.

BTW, I watched a PBS show about Leopold and Loeb (wonder if it was already scheduled before that awful murder of a young girl by two teens in VA happened), and Oliver Platt was the narrator. I could just picture him telling me the story. Dr. Charles is my fave.

• Love 1
And exactly how hard up is that thirsty drug rep?  

I know! That poor woman was about to pass out from his approval even as he rushed past her without giving her a second thought. And of course she's gonna get him on the rebound since Halstead and Manning are going to be frosty towards each other after their blow up this episode. 

Zanetti reaming out Rhodes was a bit much, but I did wonder why Rhodes was so not into the possibility of working with Dr. Hotshot. He seems like the type who would be gunning to be the best and get as much experience as possible and in fact see working with  Dr. Hotshot and getting the brass ring as a way to stick it to daddy. The fact that he was like 'No, I'm good where I am' wasn't necessarily a coward move. He may in fact like what he's doing and IS comfortable with his life at the moment. Dr. Hotshot and Zanetti equated being comfortable with being a coward which is not always the case. Sad thing is once Rhodes goes all in on this move, his time with Zanetti is going to go down and she's going to be pissed and they're on the road to splitsville.

Having said all that I do get his turnaround in the end. When someone that well renowned says they see something in you, it does make you think and reassess things a bit. Also, while it's a bit egoist, if someone believes you have a gift and wants to elevate you, you sometimes do feel you have an obligation to see it through. Not necessarily for your accolades, but because when you get down to it, you can do something to help someone else on a level  that very few people can. I think what Dr. Hotshot sees in Rhodes is that he's not hungry and eager to impress and it's the lack of ego (so far) that makes him a good protege.  Also Dr. Hotshot is the encouraging father figure Rhodes never had so, yeah, I get his teaming up with Dr. Hotshot. It's actually setting up Rhodes in a good arc to confront his daddy issues.

• Love 2

Dr. Hotshot seems partly encouraging and oddly opaque at the same time; I can see where Rhodes' reluctance to engage in further wonko meandering tea ceremonies is coming from. Is a mentorship with Dr. Hotshot going to allow Rhodes to resolve his (highly understandable) ambivalence about his manipulative father, or just exacerbate the problem? 

At the same time, I think Rhodes recognizes the importance of learning what Dr. Hotshot is able to pass on to a student, and the importance, personally and professionally, of having that level of experience to share.

I feel like I have come home.  Reading the posts in this thread make all my feelings while watching Chicago Med completely validated.  I detest that arrogant douche Halstead.  He is so jealous of Dr. Rhodes that is smells.  His constant hangdog love face around Manning is gross.  For most of the season, Manning was extremely pregnant and Dr. Douche's lust was stomach churning.  I loved it when Annie Potts/Mrs. Mother-in-law gave him the bum's rush.

If this show is trying to make this jerk a hero and the audience root for him to best Rhodes, skate on breaking the rules and winning the heart of the newly delivered widow they have missed the mark by a mile.  I hate him.

Btw, I love Dr. Rhodes and feel so much for him.  I also love Gregg Henry as Dr. Superstar. He is always worth watching.  His love of surfing and Hawaii is so cute.  Even Julie Berman is doing a great job as the uber top-of-the-class doctor.  Dr. Choi is easy on the eyes and a good guy but troubled.  Epatha Merkeson is straddling a fine line between being a compassionate doctor and good administrator.  She has a hard job but the character is very likeable.

Oliver Platt makes me smile every week.  His Dr. Charles has common sense and great sensitivity for the patients and doctors.  He is a joy.

D.W. Moffett is a wonderful villain.  He is effective playing hero or villain.  Here he serves to make us understand Conner so much better.

This show has so much going for it.  Just drop the unrelateable Dr. Creep and all will be well.

• Love 3

For a character that I thought was an annoying twit, that's quite a turnaround.  "A great doctor."  Sniff.

I cried at that, too. I'm slowly warming to her.  

And yes, Oliver Platt's brilliance shines in every episode.  

Just getting back into this again - Will's behavior in this episode was disturbing. As unlikeable as the character is sometimes I thought the acting was good on his part. As wrong as his behaviour was I could see him channeling all his emotions regarding his mother into this lady and I do think he was coming from a semi good place. Obviously his mothers death affected him deeply and he was trying to do for the woman what couldn't be done for her. It's still completely wrong but I feel it wasn't just as simple as him trying to play God.

Really not interested in the Rhodes is a surgery god and doesn't even know/want his talent. I wouldn't mind seeing them give this guy a few flaws. They seem to crap all over Halstead in each episode yet never him.

Reese is the John Carter of this show. I love watching her journey.

• Love 2