Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

Michael Socha describes his time on OUAT as "Soul Destroying"

Fuck me, yeah. Massive, massive deal. When I first got there and did the spin-off [Once Upon A Time In Wonderland], I was working an awful lot. It was great to work in the green screen studios and all that sort of stuff. It opened my eyes and I got to see a completely different world. I got to see LA. I got to live in Vancouver for two years, eventually.

But then I joined the main show and I wasn’t really used, so I found myself in Vancouver for a long time not really doing owt, which fucked me up a bit really. I thought, if I’m going to be here, fucking do something with me. I’ve got a boy at home and it’s crucifying me being here and not working. If I was here working, I’d feel I was doing something at least, but it kind of fucked me up a bit really.

Wonderland was incredible, but Once Upon A Time, I found it quite soul-destroying. My mam came out for three months eventually because I just wasn’t doing owt. I found it sort of unfair. It wasn’t the fault of the powers that be, it was just the way the cookie crumbled I suppose, but I didn’t really enjoy it by the end.

Link:

Michael Socha interview: This Is England, Once Upon A Time

To be fair, though, he did go on to say that he'd go back if asked to.  He just felt that he had been lied to once he had signed up to do the main show (and I can't say I blame him for resenting the fact that his proposed storyline got permanently shelved).  Apparently, he loved doing the spin-off.

Will Scarlett has the be the biggest example of dropped character on this show. I will never understand why they made him a main and gave him nothing to do. Just terrible planning. The showrunners were too distracted by Frozen and the Queens of Darkness. A two parter with Will Scarlett would have been better.

Will Scarlett has the be the biggest example of dropped character on this show. I will never understand why they made him a main and gave him nothing to do. Just terrible planning. The showrunners were too distracted by Frozen and the Queens of Darkness. A two parter with Will Scarlett would have been better.

I wonder if something happened that even Michael is unaware of that they had to drop it. It just seems odd that they made him a regular then dropped a planned storyline with no explanation.

He really was wasted. When he had the pages of Ana and Alice in thinking oh cool they are incorporating the two shows. Then we got nada. I liked how he annoyed Emma but I hated that they used him as a footnote to that god awful relationship. He deserved better and so did we.

(edited)

Remember, this is why his story was dropped:

EDDY KITSIS, SDCC 2015: “There’s just so many people that it’s like, it’s sometimes hard to do that story and sacrifice Regina’s story. That’s just showbiz.” Video.

They had no business putting him on the main show in the first place, because Will's story was nicely wrapped up. But once they did, they should have used him. He had a grand total of 20 MINUTES of screentime in the season.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 2

I still get pissed off thinking of how much Will was wasted on Once. Wonderland wrapped up everything perfectly, but NO, lets drag him back because the fans like him, but instead of giving him something to do, lets just stick him in a not romance with Belle. And give him like three lines per every 3 episodes. Because, you know, we have to fit in endless, ENDLESS Regina angst. I am glad he seemed to have good feelings towards Wonderland. I really loved that show. 

I wonder if there was a plan in place that got tossed aside when Disney approved of them using Frozen. I could see a Queens of Darkness as 4a leading to something with Will in 4b. But then Frozen threw a wrench in that.

Here's the thing, they knew they were doing Frozen when they filmed the last scenes of season 3, and they finish filming at the start of April. I don't remember when Michael Socha was announced, but I think it was a month or so after the finale. So they already knew they were doing Frozen, and I think they started setting up his story here and there, and some things made sense.

I think they dropped it in favor of the QoD to be honest.

• Love 2

Yea, but they probably would've had to lock him up as a series regular before that so he didn't go off and make a pilot or something. Eh, six of one, half dozen of the other. The end result is still the same: once again, A&E wasted a great character.

So one of the writers of A&E's new show Dead of Summer describes the show:

it has all the fun and heart and flashbacks of “OUAT” — with the addition of some truly frightening supernatural overtones.

Flashbacks again? Is that the only trick they have in their hats?

Flashbacks again? Is that the only trick they have in their hats?

Their milestone 100th episode included flashbacks consisting of Regina fingering a pie and Jiminy creeping around in Snow's boobs. So I think the answer is yes—they are addicted to flashbacks. 

• Love 3

I can't believe Eddy said that Beauty and the Beast dance. My respect for him just went down to the Underworld.

Maybe he meant the actual movie? Seriously how can anyone like whatever Rumple/Belle is suppose to be?

Just saw Barney Thompson - directed by and starring Robert Carlyle.  Also starring Emma Thompson and another man I've been in love with forever, Ray Winstone.

All three stars were brilliant but I can't see the subject matter being a big hit here in the US unfortunately.

I kept noticing Robert's hair for some reason - it was too long for the character but, of course, he couldn't cut it because of OUAT.   The movie is based on a series of books about a serial killer but they aren't quite Dexter-level so don't look for a sequel.

What the hell... maybe it's a misleading description for the role of Rumple's brother, Regina's uncle and Snow's great-cousin twice removed who sailed for Virginia with John Smith but was time-frozen by the Sith Lord.

• Love 4

Maybe add a few Shows in the beginning, and then pare down to what you want to give feedback to in the next screen. That's apparently what some ppl on tumblr did. I literally just chose three Shows and got added. So maybe it filled up fast.

Of course Colin likes that it's dark. Gives him room to stretch. But let's not overdo the darkness guys.

I had no doubt that as an actor Colin loves these meaty scenes. I have to agree with him  because I also like the darkness. It's the first time in a while I've felt real menace and high stakes for the heroes, even as one who follows spoilers. Greg is doing a pretty good job as Hades. Yes, he's mustache twirling, but I'm liking it better than Rumple's.

Edited by ABitOFluff