Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: SVU in the Media

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How do we recognize and address victim blaming as a community? If you are unsure what victim-blaming is, please read more about it in this article

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, mtlchick said:

You may have heard about an attempted kidnapping in Orlando but the girl fought off her attacker.  Guess where she learned how to tag her attacker with slime?

https://deadline.com/2021/05/laworder-svu-11-year-old-girl-orlando-florida-attempted-kidnapping-blue-slime-helps-id-1234761426/

Am I only one who thinks 11 is too young to be watching this show? Maybe it's not for this day and age, but it just makes me sad that kids just can't be kids for as long as possible.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, pezgirl7 said:

Am I only one who thinks 11 is too young to be watching this show? Maybe it's not for this day and age, but it just makes me sad that kids just can't be kids for as long as possible

I, too, thought the show was a little ... mature ... for an 11 year-old. Don't her parents know what she's watching? What parent would say "yes, a show in which someone is raped/tortured/killed in virtually every episode (kids too) is exactly what my kid should be watching"?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

I, too, thought the show was a little ... mature ... for an 11 year-old. Don't her parents know what she's watching? What parent would say "yes, a show in which someone is raped/tortured/killed in virtually every episode (kids too) is exactly what my kid should be watching"?

Didn't SVU start out at a 10pm time slot because of it's possible controversial content? Just out of curiosity, were they suppose to tone it down so as to give it a 9pm time slot?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, illdoc said:

Apparently they watch together. "Almost every episode" too. Which is what made me go 😲. I mean I am a grown up who has been through some things and I have PTSD from my exposure to Season 17!  But I'm sure that being such diligent students of SVU that if mom is called on it she will simply announce her BPD diagnosis and that she is now medicated so everything will be forgiven...

• Love 3

11 does seem young for SVU. Maybe I'm just excusing my own up bringing but I  watched  soaps young which did have rape storylines but they weren't every single episode and my mother/Nana did change the channel at times. Constant SVU at 11 is weird.

• Love 2

I do think 11 is a bit young to be watching SVU and shows like it. But with "family hour" no longer a requirement on network television (I think!), such viewership of more mature shows seems inevitable.

• Love 2
On 5/21/2021 at 1:19 PM, pezgirl7 said:

Am I only one who thinks 11 is too young to be watching this show? Maybe it's not for this day and age, but it just makes me sad that kids just can't be kids for as long as possible.

Maybe so but in this case it turns out to be a good thing!

• Love 5
On 5/22/2021 at 10:41 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I do think 11 is a bit young to be watching SVU and shows like it. But with "family hour" no longer a requirement on network television (I think!), such viewership of more mature shows seems inevitable.

It's weird to me how SVU can air in the middle of the day with the topics they have but ER reruns on Pop gets edits like a censor over the middle finger of a terminal 17yr old who flips Doug off for reviving him because his mother made him. I mean I understand its probably in the broadcasting standards (ER really made good use of the 10pm spot) but still weird. 

• Love 4
On 5/22/2021 at 10:41 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Remember 20 some years ago where programs and networks were scared to death of having a tv warning message come on right before a show, stating that this program may not be suitable for certain age groups? They thought it was the kiss of death, but not today. They are almost counting on those type of warnings so that viewers will be enticed to check out the show.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Wow. I’m truly shocked. I wonder why this is just coming out now, and why they are being written out? I have to say I won’t miss Kat, she had potential but she was mainly just extremely whiny and spewed SJW talking points and did little else. But I’ll miss Garland, I liked him and thought he was a cool character. Who will be the new chief? I wish Dodds would come back but the actor is doing other stuff I believe. And now the squad will be super short handed again, I hope they add in 1, or preferably 2, new detectives and hopefully make them more interesting and likable than Kat.

And how will they be written out? Will one or both die? This adds a lot of intrigue, and probably explains why we haven’t heard much about the premiere.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Xeliou66 said:

Wow. I’m truly shocked. I wonder why this is just coming out now, and why they are being written out? I have to say I won’t miss Kat, she had potential but she was mainly just extremely whiny and spewed SJW talking points and did little else. But I’ll miss Garland, I liked him and thought he was a cool character. Who will be the new chief? I wish Dodds would come back but the actor is doing other stuff I believe. And now the squad will be super short handed again, I hope they add in 1, or preferably 2, new detectives and hopefully make them more interesting and likable than Kat.

And how will they be written out? Will one or both die? This adds a lot of intrigue, and probably explains why we haven’t heard much about the premiere.

I'm going to guess this may be budget related. We're TWENTY-THREE seasons in. The money to run this show gets smaller every year, or so it seems. I doubt - if there are replacements - they will get a lot of airtime. I see this show going the CI route as it did with ADAs after Ron Carver left in S5 and just having recurring "other" detectives, if any new blood is featured at all.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I’ll miss Garland, I liked him and thought he was a cool character. Who will be the new chief? I wish Dodds would come back but the actor is doing other stuff I believe. And now the squad will be super short handed again,

Does this mean that Benson will get another promotion for the season opener, or will she get it at the end of the season?

• LOL 4
1 minute ago, dttruman said:

Does this mean that Benson will get another promotion for the season opener, or will she get it at the end of the season?

For all of her screw ups, Benson should be writing parking tickets.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'm going to guess this may be budget related. We're TWENTY-THREE seasons in. The money to run this show gets smaller every year

Will Hargitay be getting another raise? I am usually very cynical here when it comes to cast members, but I am wondering if the Covid protocols are going back into place in NYC and that is why they are reducing the budget.

I am going back to being very cynical and predicting that we will see a lot more of Elliott Stabler i season 23.

Edited by dttruman
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I see this show going the CI route as it did with ADAs after Ron Carver left in S5 and just having recurring "other" detectives, if any new blood is featured at all.

That may be true, even if it is a little ridiculous that now Manhattan SVU currently has what, one detective, one Sargent, Captain Benson and like twenty background extras? 

• Love 4

I’m afraid that these departures will just give the writers the excuse they need to focus on Benson and Rollins even more than they already do, those 2 characters have gotten way too much focus over the last few years and I’m afraid they will get more. I really wish they would bring in a couple of new detectives so the squad would have more depth and there would be fresh characters, it could give the show new life, but I’m afraid the show will just get worse this year, I already feel the writers are pandering to shippers of Rollins/Carisi and Benson/Stabler, and I’m afraid we will just get more focus on soapy shit. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I’m afraid that these departures will just give the writers the excuse they need to focus on Benson and Rollins even more than they already do, those 2 characters have gotten way too much focus over the last few years and I’m afraid they will get more.

I wonder if they will give Fin some more story lines? It's the perfect opportunity to give him more, unless he has other projects going on. I just hope they do the character justice instead of making a political statement or making Fin doing something so "out of character", it's unbelievable.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, dttruman said:

I wonder if they will give Fin some more story lines? It's the perfect opportunity to give him more, unless he has other projects going on. I just hope they do the character justice instead of making a political statement or making Fin doing something so "out of character", it's unbelievable.

I’m still angry at how I feel they gave Fin a relationship with Phoebe and were going to have him get married, only for it to be a plot point to get Rollins and Carisi together and pander to Stabler/Benson shippers. I hope Fin and Phoebe still get married at some point, Fin deserves some happiness and I like Phoebe. I would love for Fin to get a heavier role in some episodes, but I know Ice-T has other stuff he does, and usually the writers tend to give Fin the short straw and put him in the background while super mommies Benson and Rollins do everything. Fin is usually the most consistently well written character, hopefully it stays that way, Fin is one of the main reasons I stick with the show because I’ve always liked him, and since the squad will obviously be short handed at least in a few episodes, hopefully Fin will step into the limelight more. They did a good job last year of giving Fin more material, I will say that, hopefully it continues. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:
7 hours ago, illdoc said:

Yeah, still sounds like the budget was in play.

I read most of the comments and part of the conversation got a little too personal with a lot of name calling, but there were some good points made. Some thought the characters weren't good enough and others thought it was too premature to see them written out. I wonder when we will find out why the actors were really let go?

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, dttruman said:

I read most of the comments and part of the conversation got a little too personal with a lot of name calling, but there were some good points made. Some thought the characters weren't good enough and others thought it was too premature to see them written out. I wonder when we will find out why the actors were really let go?

I have a feeling the budget played a role in this decision, we are 23 seasons in and they probably wanted to cut costs, I’m not surprised it wasn’t the actors’ decision to leave. But I’m not exactly sure why they are gone, and I have mixed feelings about it - on one hand, I’m afraid the departures mean Benson and Rollins will just get shoved down our throats even more than they already are, on the other hand they could add in more interesting characters, as I said before I disliked Kat, she was extremely disrespectful and unpleasant, and they could perhaps add in 1 or 2 new squad members that are actually interesting. I will miss Garland though and I wonder if they will introduce a new chief.

• Love 5
On 9/3/2021 at 8:32 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I'm going to guess this may be budget related. We're TWENTY-THREE seasons in. The money to run this show gets smaller every year, or so it seems. I doubt - if there are replacements - they will get a lot of airtime. I see this show going the CI route as it did with ADAs after Ron Carver left in S5 and just having recurring "other" detectives, if any new blood is featured at all.

I'm 1000% sure it's budget related, but that doesn't change the end result. We will have the same problems as before of not enough characters compounded by no fresh blood in the main cast so we will end up with Carisi out on the street investigating even though he's a DA as we rehash the same storylines. And to make it worse this means we get LOTS of Rollins since Benson will have her OC cameos and they certainly can't match Car Shield's offer to give us more Fin. It's stupid and reflects short sightedness on NBC's part making a multi-year renewal with no plans to prevent this happening again and selfishness on the part of Dick Wolf and Mariska, either of whom could have given up a small part of their cut to keep the cast intact and the quality up. Not to mention that the easy solution is to write off Rollins who has like a million reasons to be out of there and would save enough to keep both of the newbies and probably a new recurring character as well...

• Love 5
4 hours ago, wknt3 said:

they certainly can't match Car Shield's offer to give us more Fin.

Not only that, Ice-T has his own series "In Ice Cold Blood". And from what I hear about that, it's going strong over on the Oxygen Channel. He sure is a good business man.

I also wonder how much of Hargitay's salary would she actually have to give up to bring in two new reasonably written characters to make the show go?

Edited by dttruman
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, wknt3 said:

It's stupid and reflects short sightedness on NBC's part making a multi-year renewal with no plans to prevent this happening again and selfishness on the part of Dick Wolf and Mariska, either of whom could have given up a small part of their cut to keep the cast intact and the quality up. Not to mention that the easy solution is to write off Rollins who has like a million reasons to be out of there and would save enough to keep both of the newbies and probably a new recurring character as well...

Cannot argue with any of this.

• Love 4
On 9/6/2021 at 4:42 PM, WendyCR72 said:
On 9/6/2021 at 10:34 AM, wknt3 said:

It's stupid and reflects short sightedness on NBC's part making a multi-year renewal with no plans to prevent this happening again and selfishness on the part of Dick Wolf and Mariska, either of whom could have given up a small part of their cut to keep the cast intact and the quality up. Not to mention that the easy solution is to write off Rollins who has like a million reasons to be out of there and would save enough to keep both of the newbies and probably a new recurring character as well...

Expand  

Cannot argue with any of this.

WKNT3, I believe you just hit a walk off HR!

Edited by dttruman
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, wknt3 said:It's stupid and reflects short sightedness on NBC's part making a multi-year renewal with no plans to prevent this happening again and selfishness on the part of Dick Wolf and Mariska, either of whom could have given up a small part of their cut to keep the cast intact and the quality up. Not to mention that the easy solution is to write off Rollins who has like a million reasons to be out of there and would save enough to keep both of the newbies and probably a new recurring character as well...

I agree with all of this, but part of me feels that it also has to do with intertwining Meloni more into SVU and paying his “special guest star” rate which I’m assuming is not cheap.  Something was going to give and the newbies were going to be sacrificed for it. Which also sadly means we’re getting not one but two couplings happening which I am not down for. 

• Love 7
On 9/3/2021 at 10:00 PM, WendyCR72 said:

For all of her screw ups, Benson should be writing parking tickets.

She'd still find a way to escalate it into a hostage situation and a 10-13...

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I agree with all of this, but part of me feels that it also has to do with intertwining Meloni more into SVU and paying his “special guest star” rate which I’m assuming is not cheap.  Something was going to give and the newbies were going to be sacrificed for it. Which also sadly means we’re getting not one but two couplings happening which I am not down for. 

I'm totally not down with Rollisi and the hot and bothered pairing up of Benson and Stabler will be gag-worthy for me, especially since Kathy just bit the dust.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:
8 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I'm totally not down with Rollisi and the hot and bothered pairing up of Benson and Stabler will be gag-worthy for me, especially since Kathy just bit the dust.

If this does happen, it seems to me that that the show's rating will dip more than ever and the network will be forced to cancel it on their NBC channel, but they'll keep streaming it on their Peacock network.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Agreed. That’s why I am probably going to quit watching regularly this season - the show is becoming more of a romance/personal drama that a crime procedural, the show has been overly soapy for a while now but 2 romances between major characters is just too much for me. And I don’t like either of them, Carisi/Rollins is beyond forced, no chemistry there, and I’m not a Rollins fan, and Benson/Stabler just doesn’t sit right with me considering Stabler just lost his wife. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, dttruman said:

If this does happen, it seems to me that that the show's rating will dip more than ever and the network will be forced to cancel it on their NBC channel, but they'll keep streaming it on their Peacock network.

You'd think, but based on social media, it seems a portion of the viewership loves both pairings, so...could go down in ratings or stay the same! (I doubt it will go up much, if at all, as the show is just OLD.)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

You'd think, but based on social media, it seems a portion of the viewership loves both pairings, so...could go down in ratings or stay the same! (I doubt it will go up much, if at all, as the show is just OLD.)

I think the “shippers” are a minority, they are just extremely vocal on social media about their love of whatever pairing they like, while the people who don’t like the relationship stuff tend to not be as vocal about it.

As I’ve said before - I feel that the writers go out of their way to pander to those who are the loudest on social media. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I think the “shippers” are a minority, they are just extremely vocal on social media about their love of whatever pairing they like, while the people who don’t like the relationship stuff tend to not be as vocal about it.

As I’ve said before - I feel that the writers go out of their way to pander to those who are the loudest on social media. 

Who are the soap opera shippers on social media peeing their pants over Benson and Super Hunky* Stabler getting down?  A bunch of teenage girls?

*For lack of a better moniker.  Chris Meloni is being heralded as the hot bod dude over 30 for the ladies (and gay guys too, I suppose) to drool over.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 9/8/2021 at 5:52 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Who are the soap opera shippers on social media peeing their pants over Benson and Super Hunky* Stabler getting down?  A bunch of teenage girls?

*For lack of a better moniker.  Chris Meloni is being heralded as the hot bod dude over 30 for the ladies (and gay guys too, I suppose) to drool over.

Are we talking about the viewers who were teenagers back when Stabler and Benson were at the top of their game, and now they want to see them together again?

3 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Where's the vomit emoji?

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Why does she appear to be in pain?  Is it covid fear or just him?

I don't know if it's me or them that should be worried right now. Maybe I am a little naive but when I heard they had drop Garland an.d Tamin, I thought the producers and writers would be in panic mode and Hargitay would be spitballing new ideas with them. Instead she is just relaxing and watching tennis. Was it decided that these characters were dropped right after the previous season ended, but they kept it secret until almost the start of the new season? If it was just decided recently and she doesn't care, then I am going to assume this is the last season and she doesn't care about the quality of the show, unless they already had a plan "B" ready to go at a moments notice.

Edited by dttruman
1 hour ago, dttruman said:

I don't know if it's me or them that should be worried right now. Maybe I am a little naive but when I heard they had drop Garland an.d Tamin, I thought the producers and writers would be in panic mode and Hargitay would be spitballing new ideas with them. Instead she is just relaxing and watching tennis. Was it decided that these characters were dropped right after the previous season ended, but they kept it secret until almost the start of the new season? If it was just decided recently and she doesn't care, then I am going to assume this is the last season and she does care about the quality of the show, unless they already had a plan "B" ready to go at a moments notice.

We already know the show is renewed through season 24 so this isn’t the last season.

I wonder if they are getting rid of Kat and Garland because of the budget and because they have to pay MH a gigantic salary, I definitely think the budget played a role. I’m still very surprised about the way it was done though, announcing it a couple of weeks before the season and writing them off in the season premiere. I have a feeling this was planned a good ways in advance though, since I don’t see anyone in panic mode.

Either way I really hope we get new detective characters, the squad is ridiculously short handed, and I hope that they give us a compelling character that gives some freshness to the show, they had that opportunity with Kat but instead she was just unpleasant and disrespectful. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

We already know the show is renewed through season 24 so this isn’t the last season.

I wonder if they are getting rid of Kat and Garland because of the budget and because they have to pay MH a gigantic salary, I definitely think the budget played a role. I’m still very surprised about the way it was done though, announcing it a couple of weeks before the season and writing them off in the season premiere. I have a feeling this was planned a good ways in advance though, since I don’t see anyone in panic mode.

Either way I really hope we get new detective characters, the squad is ridiculously short handed, and I hope that they give us a compelling character that gives some freshness to the show, they had that opportunity with Kat but instead she was just unpleasant and disrespectful. 

It's totally unrealistic to have a skeleton crew full-time in the booming metropolis of NYC.  Even if much of the citizenry have taken their homes and businesses elsewhere IRL, it's not like they are living in Mayberry RFD.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

It's totally unrealistic to have a skeleton crew full-time in the booming metropolis of NYC.  Even if much of the citizenry have taken their homes and businesses elsewhere IRL, it's not like they are living in Mayberry RFD.

Oh no kidding, I was laughing when they were so short handed at the start of season 21 before Kat/after Carisi became ADA, remember in one episode they had to get Carisi and Garland out in the field. Even having some extras in the background doing stuff would be more realistic - but instead they had us basically believe that Benson, Fin and Rollins were the only SVU detectives in Manhattan. I really hope they add in interesting detectives this year, while losing Kat will make the squad extremely thin once again, I won’t miss her, she was whiny and obnoxious, I hope they can get new blood that gives the show freshness. But I bet instead we will get even more focus on super mommies Benson and Rollins, with Carisi and Fin as window dressing.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Oh no kidding, I was laughing when they were so short handed at the start of season 21 before Kat/after Carisi became ADA, remember in one episode they had to get Carisi and Garland out in the field. Even having some extras in the background doing stuff would be more realistic - but instead they had us basically believe that Benson, Fin and Rollins were the only SVU detectives in Manhattan. I really hope they add in interesting detectives this year, while losing Kat will make the squad extremely thin once again, I won’t miss her, she was whiny and obnoxious, I hope they can get new blood that gives the show freshness. But I bet instead we will get even more focus on super mommies Benson and Rollins, with Carisi and Fin as window dressing.

And don't forget about the burgeoning romances between St. Olivia and Unstable Stabler, and the Rollisi rolls in the hay.  Enough soap suds for everyone!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1