Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: SVU in the Media

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How do we recognize and address victim blaming as a community? If you are unsure what victim-blaming is, please read more about it in this article

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yes that’s the title of the episode, and look it has 22 letters, I really wish the writers would give up the gimmick of letters matching the season number and focus their efforts on coming up with good stories instead. 

I guess we know where all the inventiveness, imagination, and creativity has gone for this season.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

So the first episode that will air, the season premiere on November 12, is titled Guardians and Gladiators, and the episode description reads as follows “When the squad tries to solve an assault in Central Park, they are hampered by their own blind spots and a community that is losing trust in the police”. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

So the first episode that will air, the season premiere on November 12, is titled Guardians and Gladiators, and the episode description reads as follows “When the squad tries to solve an assault in Central Park, they are hampered by their own blind spots and a community that is losing trust in the police”. 

I am a little confused, maybe because I haven't been back here in 10 days. Did they drop the original episode "Remember Me in quarantine", for this new one? And if so, did they mention why they did that?

2 hours ago, dttruman said:

I am a little confused, maybe because I haven't been back here in 10 days. Did they drop the original episode "Remember Me in quarantine", for this new one? And if so, did they mention why they did that?

The episode titled “Remember Me in Quarantine” will air as the third episode of the season. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, dttruman said:

Have you seen the new promo, not one other cast member got to say anything! It's going to be another year of the "Benson"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF9BpNBnbnU

Of course it’s all St Olivia, notice how on the promo art she’s the only character pictured as well. Mariska has enormous power over the show and an enormous ego, the show will remain the St Olivia hour for the rest of its run, hopefully Mariska’s ego can be contained some by the writers, they did an okay job of containing it last season in most episodes.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Of course it’s all St Olivia, notice how on the promo art she’s the only character pictured as well. Mariska has enormous power over the show and an enormous ego, the show will remain the St Olivia hour for the rest of its run, hopefully Mariska’s ego can be contained some by the writers, they did an okay job of containing it last season in most episodes.

With the addition of Garland, this will put Benson back in the field to investigate. I am at least hoping now she will be investigating with a partner and she won't be doing any "Holier than thou" moments. If she does, hopefully her partner will be pulling back on her reins. I really never liked it where she took it upon herself to go out and converse privately to the victims and talk inappropriately or at least unprofessionally with some.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dttruman said:

With the addition of Garland, this will put Benson back in the field to investigate. I am at least hoping now she will be investigating with a partner and she won't be doing any "Holier than thou" moments. If she does, hopefully her partner will be pulling back on her reins. I really never liked it where she took it upon herself to go out and converse privately to the victims and talk inappropriately or at least unprofessionally with some.

Benson has already been in the field a lot in recent seasons, and I don’t think she will have a partner given that she’s the squad leader. I’m curious about what making Garland a regular will do, but I think we will see the same amount of Benson in the field that we’ve seen since she became squad leader. And I don’t see anyone having the guts to call Benson out on any of her behavior, and the writers won’t allow anyone to because of MH’s influence. Mariska’s ego cannot be stopped, it can only be contained, let’s hope they contain it some, they did okay with it last season, but I think we are stuck with having some St Olivia worship every year.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

The show is officially entitled Mariska Hargitay Law & Order Special Victims Unit according to the title banner.

Somehow that reminded me of the full title for the movie adapted from the novella: Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption

• Love 2
On 10/28/2020 at 5:05 PM, Xeliou66 said:

On 10/28/2020 at 6:21 PM, dttruman said:

On 10/29/2020 at 7:30 PM, CrystalBlue said:

The show is officially entitled Mariska Hargitay Law & Order Special Victims Unit according to the title banner.

I don't think we can read any tea leaves about Mariska's role in this season from any of the media coverage or trailers. Given the long break caused by COVID and the fact that Mariska stans have been keeping the zombified corpse of SVU on the air they need to go after that core audience hard. And adding Garland as a regular can go in number of directions as I mentioned above. The only media coverage that would clearly show a change is if she is announced as doing a multi-episode appearance on Meloni's show or Hate Crimes, Especially if she launches Hate Crimes. Otherwise we won't know if they make any progress in convincing Mariska that you can be the star of the show without being in every scene until we see the episodes.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I don't think we can read any tea leaves about Mariska's role in this season from any of the media coverage or trailers. Given the long break caused by COVID and the fact that Mariska stans have been keeping the zombified corpse of SVU on the air they need to go after that core audience hard. And adding Garland as a regular can go in number of directions as I mentioned above. The only media coverage that would clearly show a change is if she is announced as doing a multi-episode appearance on Meloni's show or Hate Crimes, Especially if she launches Hate Crimes. Otherwise we won't know if they make any progress in convincing Mariska that you can be the star of the show without being in every scene until we see the episodes.

I just read the small information bit for the “Ballad Of Dwight And Irena” episode" and it just mentions Rollins, Tamin, and Fin. I wonder how much of Benson will be in that episode?

https://allthingslawandorder.blogspot.com/2020/11/law-order-svu-ballad-of-dwight-and.html

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Has there been a promo of the season premiere? I ask because the new season promo we saw just cuts together scenes from season 21.

Nope there has not been a promo for the season premiere. The promo they’ve been showing on NBC is the one you are describing. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Interesting. I hope this means Carisi gets a good amount of focus in this episode, I want more Carisi and more legal stuff. The season premiere made me hopeful that the writers have gotten a better handle on how to write for Carisi and the legal side of the show, and hopefully the episode in which this character returns will be more Carisi-legal centric.

• Love 3

I wonder if they will do a storyline based on Myka Stauffer and how she treated the boy she adopted.  I won't call him her son because she doesn't deserve that privilege and she never saw him as a whole person and just objectified him for money and views.  The boy is definitely a special victim, and if they do an episode on it, I hope they portray the parents in the worst light possible, because the Stauffers are monsters.  They did a story a long time ago where a couple adopted a boy, only to have him killed for the insurance money ('Raw').  I guess having a Stauffer storyline would be a more current issue, because it's a social media-related plot.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, SarahPrtr said:

I wonder if they will do a storyline based on Myka Stauffer and how she treated the boy she adopted.  I won't call him her son because she doesn't deserve that privilege and she never saw him as a whole person and just objectified him for money and views.  The boy is definitely a special victim, and if they do an episode on it, I hope they portray the parents in the worst light possible, because the Stauffers are monsters.  They did a story a long time ago where a couple adopted a boy, only to have him killed for the insurance money ('Raw').  I guess having a Stauffer storyline would be a more current issue, because it's a social media-related plot.

This is one of the reasons I don't exactly trust people who have Youtube accounts and put their families and themselves on it. It's all suppose to be realty TV or something and when I hear the phrase "Realty TV", I know it's all mostly fake.

They covered a couple of "social media-related plot". The one I thought was too outrageous, "Assaulting Reality" was where NYPD higher ups gave their blessing for the SVU to appear on a reality dating show, while they conduct their investigation. I can't think of the other episode, but it was about a large family doing a realty show and one of the daughters was supposed to be (I think) impregnated or molested by one of her brothers.

The "Raw" episode was more about race hatred and a means to an end for that insurance money

• Love 2

This is one of the reasons I don't exactly trust people who have Youtube accounts and put their families and themselves on it. It's all suppose to be realty TV or something and when I hear the phrase "Realty TV", I know it's all mostly fake.

They covered a couple of "social media-related plot". The one I thought was too outrageous, "Assaulting Reality" was where NYPD higher ups gave their blessing for the SVU to appear on a reality dating show, while they conduct their investigation. I can't think of the other episode, but it was about a large family doing a realty show and one of the daughters was supposed to be (I think) impregnated or molested by one of her brothers.

The "Raw" episode was more about race hatred and a means to an end for that insurance money

I just thought that MH would take the bad adoptive parent thing personally, because she and Peter Hermann have also adopted their younger children.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Ice-T, wife Coco Austin, and her dad/his FIL in the news:

Ice-T continues to urge fans to take Coronavirus seriously

Shouldn't Ice-T and the others from SVU be taking it seriously also? If they are pushing this really hard, you'd think they would take it very seriously on the series, by setting good examples. I wonder if they will Thursday night, because of the of the episode "Remember Me in Quarantine"

• Love 1
13 hours ago, dttruman said:

Hargitay setting an excellent example for the COVID-19 protocol or celebrity hypocrisy

https://www.youtube.com/post/UgwSLuABztH1x4p-0pB4AaABCQ

Thank God she'll be immune from catching it from "Noah"!  </sarcasm>

2 hours ago, incandescent said:

Protocols for most television sets include regular testing prior to filming. They are probably already doing non-distanced scenes together and are not near anyone else. This is fine.

Masks don't protect you getting COVID-19, they try to prevent you from giving it to others.  It's just not about masks.  Social distancing, hand washing.

• Love 1

Some interesting news that I saw that no one has talked about - Barba is returning for an episode this season!! I saw a picture with Barba sitting in the defense attorneys chair, apparently Barba will be going up against Carisi in court. I look forward to this a lot, I’m surprised I haven’t seen an article on it anywhere. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Some interesting news that I saw that no one has talked about - Barba is returning for an episode this season!! I saw a picture with Barba sitting in the defense attorneys chair, apparently Barba will be going up against Carisi in court. I look forward to this a lot, I’m surprised I haven’t seen an article on it anywhere. 

That raises an interesting question. Considering what he did, wouldn't he lose his license to practice law? And if so, wouldn't he lose it for all 50 states?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, dttruman said:

That raises an interesting question. Considering what he did, wouldn't he lose his license to practice law? And if so, wouldn't he lose it for all 50 states?

I don’t know for sure - but I don’t necessarily think he would, he didn’t do anything that violated legal ethics and he was acquitted. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I don’t know for sure - but I don’t necessarily think he would, he didn’t do anything that violated legal ethics and he was acquitted. 

I thought he plead guilty to some mercy killing charge, maybe I need to go back and check that episode.

2 hours ago, illdoc said:

Technically, you can only practice law in the state(s) where you passed the bar exam. 

I thought he committed some mercy killing crime? I need to go back and check that out for sure.

3 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I thought he plead guilty to some mercy killing charge, maybe I need to go back and check that episode.

2 hours ago, illdoc said:

Technically, you can only practice law in the state(s) where you passed the bar exam. 

I thought he committed some mercy killing crime? I need to go back and check that out for sure.

I looked it up on SVU Fandom and the writers (and producers) had Barba up on murder charges, but was conveniently cleared of the charges. I guess he can practice law after all.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

29 minutes ago, dttruman said:

I looked it up on SVU Fandom and the writers (and producers) had Barba up on murder charges, but was conveniently cleared of the charges. I guess he can practice law after all.

In the real world and most fiction it does not take an actual criminal conviction to face sanctions, especially when your actions occur in the course of your professional activities. There are a number of ways they can explain him practicing law despite what happened. Off the top of my head -

1. He hired Casey Novak who got the punishment reduced to a suspension on appeal.
2. He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, but is now on meds so we can just ignore what happened.
3. He was never punished to begin with since Benson forgave him.
4. They just continue the pissing match of ruining show runner's pet characters and announce he was framed by Stone.
5. Liv made a couple calls and her good friend the President-Elect squared things with the governor.

And of course they can just ignore it and hope we all forget about it like the movie that never happened, CI Season 9, etc.

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

In the real world and most fiction it does not take an actual criminal conviction to face sanctions, especially when your actions occur in the course of your professional activities. There are a number of ways they can explain him practicing law despite what happened. Off the top of my head -

1. He hired Casey Novak who got the punishment reduced to a suspension on appeal.
2. He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, but is now on meds so we can just ignore what happened.
4. They just continue the pissing match of ruining show runner's pet characters and announce he was framed by Stone.
5. Liv made a couple calls and her good friend the President-Elect squared things with the governor.

And of course they can just ignore it and hope we all forget about like the movie that never happened, CI Season 9, etc.

Well said!

• LOL 1

Each State Bar Association issues the licenses to practice law.  If an attorney is disbarred in one state, he or she can move to another state and take the bar exam there.  If they pass, they can become a practicing attorney at law again in that state.  Attorneys can also be licensed to practice law in more than one state.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, wknt3 said:

And of course they can just ignore it and hope we all forget about it like the movie that never happened, CI Season 9, etc.

Hey, if Criminal Intent TPTB ignored it, I saw that as permission for the viewers to do the same.  😉  Wolf and Company can be very selective with their amnesia!

In all seriousness, I bet it will either be that formula where this news is concerned, or there was some quick plea to probation (realistic or not) and voila!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Hey, if Criminal Intent TPTB ignored it, I saw that as permission for the viewers to do the same.  😉  Wolf and Company can be very selective with their amnesia!

In all seriousness, I bet it will either be that formula where this news is concerned, or there was some quick plea to probation (realistic or not) and voila!

I have a feeling they will just ignore the issue of Barba’s law license altogether - they don’t want to remind viewers of Barba’s terrible exit of killing a baby, I doubt that will even be mentioned. 

1 hour ago, incandescent said:

Sadly, I can't really see Carisi holding his own against Barba in court (or against any of the other long-term ADAs SVU has had, but that's another matter...)

I can see Carisi holding his own in court against Barba, Carisi is a good prosecutor, we’ve just seen very little of him in court compared to the other ADA’s, and last year they had no idea how to write for the legal part of the show, this year they have a much better grasp on the legal stuff so far, so I’m hopeful they will continue to write Carisi better. I’m looking forward to seeing Barba and Carisi battle in court. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Everyone wants Barba back!  Me too, and I'm still waiting for the return of Donal Logue.

I like to see Barba back, but only if the character is treated with a little more dignity and in a more realistic fashion.

If Donal Logue comes back, it's going to be an episode concerning Rollins. It will probably be some kind of child custody conflict, so Rollins can play her usual sympathetic victim self without facing any consequences for what illegal act she may commit (no matter how well intended it is) and Logue's character "Murphy" can be written out

• Love 2
Just now, illdoc said:

To quote the theme song to The Facts of Life: "You take the good (Barba). You take the bad (Rollisi)" https://tvline.com/2020/12/31/law-order-svu-season-22-carisi-rollins-photos-new-years-eve/

BLAH!! Just when I thought this show had a lot of promise this season, they decide to shove Rollins/Carisi down our throats. Sickening, I’m so sick of gutter trash slut Rollins and how they are trying to have her ruin Carisi, just to pander to the crowd that loves soapy melodrama. 

And I’m not convinced that Barba’s return will be handled well at all - I have a feeling it might become more about Benson and her feelings on the case with her trying to boss both Barba and Carisi around to get what she wants. How many times have we been promised an episode about actual interesting characters, but what we get is a Benson/Rollins super mommy soap fest. I’m afraid that’s what this episode will be. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, illdoc said:

To quote the theme song to The Facts of Life: "You take the good (Barba). You take the bad (Rollisi)" https://tvline.com/2020/12/31/law-order-svu-season-22-carisi-rollins-photos-new-years-eve/

Yeah but in this case. Why is it that the "good" always seems to leave or is made to do something so out of character, it defies logic or common sense?

9 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

And I’m not convinced that Barba’s return will be handled well at all - I have a feeling it might become more about Benson and her feelings on the case with her trying to boss both Barba and Carisi around to get what she wants. How many times have we been promised an episode about actual interesting characters, but what we get is a Benson/Rollins super mommy soap fest. I’m afraid that’s what this episode will be. 

Let's play "How will Benson Get Unnecessarily Involved" In the court portion of this episode! My guess is she will unnecessarily mediate the tension filled adversarial animosity that is developing between Barba and Carisi during the trial. Will Rollins get involved also and take Carisi side, inadvertently giving him false hope of his greatest desire, to have Rollins reciprocate the same affections he has for her?

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, dttruman said:

Yeah but in this case. Why is it that the "good" always seems to leave or is made to do something so out of character, it defies logic or common sense?

My point exactly. I’m not convinced that Barba’s return will be “good”, I’m afraid it will become more about St Olivia and her feelings about the case than about Barba and Carisi and the actual case. Especially seeing that they are going to shove Rollins/Carisi down our throats, that just gives me a bad feeling about this episode. 

So far I had been impressed with the show this year - the first 3 episodes have been solid with no glaring weaknesses, but I have a feeling that’s about to change. I don’t know why the writers want to ruin things by going the cliched, soapy route, but it appears the SVU writers will disappoint yet again and the show will remain the shitshow it’s been the last few seasons. 

• Love 3
On 1/1/2021 at 4:46 AM, Xeliou66 said:

BLAH!! Just when I thought this show had a lot of promise this season, they decide to shove Rollins/Carisi down our throats. Sickening, I’m so sick of gutter trash slut Rollins and how they are trying to have her ruin Carisi, just to pander to the crowd that loves soapy melodrama. 

I'm going to hold my breath on this one, just for awhile. She's asleep and his arm isn't actually around her, and there are no photos of them kissing. ON THE LIPS!!  So, for the love of god, just let this shit go, so I can breathe again.  Also, what TV couple get together after six seasons?! Two TOPS!

• Love 2