Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: SVU in the Media

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How do we recognize and address victim blaming as a community? If you are unsure what victim-blaming is, please read more about it in this article

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, SarahPrtr said:

I'm going to hold my breath on this one, just for awhile. She's asleep and his arm isn't actually around her, and there are no photos of them kissing. ON THE LIPS!!  So, for the love of god, just let this shit go, so I can breathe again.  Also, what TV couple get together after six seasons?! Two TOPS!

Hopefully this is one tease that will be a nothing burger, unlike the usual teases of when the episode will be about Fin, but winds up being another showcase for you know who.  Or so and so will be in the next episode! and it's for all of 45 seconds.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Hopefully this is one tease that will be a nothing burger, unlike the usual teases of when the episode will be about Fin, but winds up being another showcase for you know who.  Or so and so will be in the next episode! and it's for all of 45 seconds.

Agreed - I hope this is just a tease by the show to wind up the shippers and nothing comes of it, but I’m still afraid given how much this show loves soapy melodrama. I’m also afraid Barba’s return will be a dud and will become more about St Olivia and her feelings about the situation than about Barba, Carisi or the case. This upcoming episode could be great but I’m afraid it will be terrible given the SVU writers love of soapy melodrama. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Just a heads up!  🙂 There is no need to start episode threads. They are created and appear as the episode draws near. Anyway, the thread for the next episode is now set. Thanks.

Okay thanks, I didn’t know they appeared automatically, I figured it would be up by now. 

6 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Okay thanks, I didn’t know they appeared automatically, I figured it would be up by now. 

No big deal. Just didn't want to worry about dupes every week, hence the notice.  🙂

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Just watched Chris Meloni on Finding Your Roots. His segment was quite touching.

It will be interesting to watch, I just read his story (Below) on the PBS website. He took a very different path than Mariska Hargitay. IMO, he is so much well rounded than her as an actor. Hargitay was more or less handed the keys to SVU and it seems she was allowed to do what she wanted with it.

https://www.pbs.org/weta/finding-your-roots/about/meet-our-guests/christopher-meloni

25 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Blah. I fucking hate Stabler’s family and I was hoping they wouldn’t be involved in the new show. Stabler’s family is just as annoying as Rollins’ family. Sounds like we’re in for a major soap opera when Stabler returns, blah. 

As I’ve said before, I’m not a huge fan of Stabler and I’m not that excited for him to return - he was a part of the best seasons of SVU and I was okay with him in the early seasons, but by the end of his run he had become nothing but a ball of rage and his family drama was really tiresome. When I heard he was returning, I was really hoping his family wouldn’t return with him. 

• Love 5

I agree @Xeliou66, Stabler’s family life was always a drag on the show. And while I mostly always liked him, I grew weary of his constant rage and machismo. Hopefully his family won’t be a regular part of the new show, and 10 years away from the NYPD has mellowed him a bit. Time will tell...but it does seem rather odd for a 60-year-old to come back.

• Love 4

My local noon news had a preview for tonight with a short clip of Chris Meloni on Today this morning. He mentions Elliot's "growth". Hopefully, that translates into less rage. He did mention he even got his old holster back. 😎

• Love 2
(edited)

Those are huge numbers for today's time and the second hour retaining that much of the viewership is impressive, and good the lackluster first hour didn't drive people away in large numbers.

I wonder what the numbers would be with streaming factored in. It's on Peacock as well as Hulu, right?

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 1

The upcoming episodes of SVU sadly don’t look good - this weeks episode looks like a rip off of season 17’s Sheltered Outcasts, the next week’s episode sounds like a heavy handed political shitfest from the episodes description, and the week after that has Benson getting into a hostage situation again plus the Rollins family!! Blah blah and more blah. I hope I’m wrong but it looks like this season is going down the drain.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 4/5/2021 at 6:48 PM, Xeliou66 said:

The upcoming episodes of SVU sadly don’t look good - this weeks episode looks like a rip off of season 17’s Sheltered Outcasts, the next week’s episode sounds like a heavy handed political shitfest from the episodes description, and the week after that has Benson getting into a hostage situation again plus the Rollins family!! Blah blah and more blah. I hope I’m wrong but it looks like this season is going down the drain.

Not the Rollins family! Meanwhile Ken pops up about as often as leap year. Unfortunate for OC since the beginning episodes of the season would have made better lead in material than these will if the descriptions hold the low expectations. 

Any chance the heavy handed politics will be about the governor of NY or a rehash of old political stories? Either way this show doesn't do politics well and shouldn't. 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Gigi43 said:

Not the Rollins family! Meanwhile Ken pops up about as often as leap year. Unfortunate for OC since the beginning episodes of the season would have made better lead in material than these will if the descriptions hold the low expectations. 

Any chance the heavy handed politics will be about the governor of NY or a rehash of old political stories? Either way this show doesn't do politics well and shouldn't. 

The Rollins family plus Benson in a hostage situation in the same episode sounds like my nightmare, can’t believe it’s happening.

The political episode sounds like a typical far left vs far right episode, the description says an activist thinks a hate group kidnapped her sister. I’m already dreading that episode as well, SVU doesn’t do politics well, usually depicted everyone involved as a cartoon character with everyone spouting extremist social media talking points. 

• Love 3

TV Line has a casting for a future SVU. I don't think media announcements count as spoilers, right? It's under the main story about Sarah Michelle Gellar. Apparent we'll be revisiting Born Psychopath. 

* Shameless‘ Ethan Cutkosky will return to Law & Order: SVU this season, TVLine has confirmed. He’ll play Henry Mesner, the character he originated in a Season 14 episode. Back then, Henry was a young boy whose abuse of his sister led him to be diagnosed as a psychopath and sent to a juvenile treatment facility. In the Season 22 episode, titled “Post-Graduate Psychopath,” Henry — who is now 18 — is asking to be released.

https://tvline.com/2021/03/31/sarah-michelle-gellar-cast-hot-pink-amazon-comedy-pilot/

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, Gigi43 said:

TV Line has a casting for a future SVU. I don't think media announcements count as spoilers, right? It's under the main story about Sarah Michelle Gellar. Apparent we'll be revisiting Born Psychopath. 

https://tvline.com/2021/03/31/sarah-michelle-gellar-cast-hot-pink-amazon-comedy-pilot/

Yes I heard about this, very interesting, I liked Born Psychopath, and child sociopath Henry was quite a memorable character. I will be interested to see what they do with this follow up, I hope it’s well executed.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yes I heard about this, very interesting, I liked Born Psychopath, and child sociopath Henry was quite a memorable character. I will be interested to see what they do with this follow up, I hope it’s well executed.

I like Born Psychopath too, so this has potential.  I wonder if they'll get Huang back since he was involved in the original case it would make sense for him to weigh in. They've been bringing people back this season. 

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Gigi43 said:

I like Born Psychopath too, so this has potential.  I wonder if they'll get Huang back since he was involved in the original case it would make sense for him to weigh in. They've been bringing people back this season. 

I would love for Huang to be back!! A psych expert is something this show really needs at times and Huang is sorely missed. I do like how this season they’ve brought people back and made an effort at continuity.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

23 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I would love for Huang to be back!! A psych expert is something this show really needs at times and Huang is sorely missed. I do like how this season they’ve brought people back and made an effort at continuity.

This is something that needs to be present for this episode to actually make sense. They need a bonafide psych expert like Huang (or Huang himself).  I thought it was terrible when they just had a guidance counselor dispensing medical advice, when she should have consulted someone  with more experience.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, incandescent said:

Another series so soon? Let's hope the franchise isn't overextending itself.

I'd argue that happened ages ago with Trial By Jury (which makes me wonder about this new series since this one was a one-and-done!) and Los Angeles (another one-and-done) dragging said franchise down.

While no Law & Order in its title, Conviction (2006) was obviously set in the same universe since Alex Cabot was the lead character there - and that also failed. So I'd say 2005/2006 already overextended the brand (as the initial three [Mothership, SVU, Criminal Intent] were all still around at the time, so over saturation was too easy).

Hope history is not repeating itself. Guess we'll find out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 5/3/2021 at 6:17 PM, illdoc said:

Not exactly SVU, but wasn't sure where to put it. Let's just hope Benson doesn't show up: https://tvline.com/2021/05/03/law-order-for-the-defense-series-order-nbc-criminal-lawyers/

If they find writers who write courtroom scenes, send them to SVU. It seems they're just using the L&O brand now and aren't into the original formula. OC is one criminal with his own family plots, now a defense firm.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Gigi43 said:

If they find writers who write courtroom scenes, send them to SVU. It seems they're just using the L&O brand now and aren't into the original formula. OC is one criminal with his own family plots, now a defense firm.

Yeah it really pisses me off how they are using the L&O title to try to draw people in to shows that are nothing like L&O. There have been plenty of defense lawyer shows and that show sounds nothing like an L&O show, and OC isn’t really an L&O show either though it’s not bad. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yeah it really pisses me off how they are using the L&O title to try to draw people in to shows that are nothing like L&O. There have been plenty of defense lawyer shows and that show sounds nothing like an L&O show, and OC isn’t really an L&O show either though it’s not bad. 

I can forgive OC branding because at least Stabler's there so it has a pretty major tie to the L&O base. This is just overuse.

• Love 6
On 5/4/2021 at 1:30 AM, WendyCR72 said:

I'd argue that happened ages ago with Trial By Jury (which makes me wonder about this new series since this one was a one-and-done!) and Los Angeles (another one-and-done) dragging said franchise down.

While no Law & Order in its title, Conviction (2006) was obviously set in the same universe since Alex Cabot was the lead character there - and that also failed. So I'd say 2005/2006 already overextended the brand (as the initial three [Mothership, SVU, Criminal Intent] were all still around at the time, so over saturation was too easy).

Hope history is not repeating itself. Guess we'll find out.

Personally my belief is that those shows failed not from over saturation (except in the minds of network execs who didn't like NBC being so tied to an "uncool" franchise) and more because there was nothing really different from the original except in the case of Los Angeles being not nearly as good. I don't see any of the announced or current spinoffs as having that issue except maybe Hate Crimes. Looking at it from a strictly SVU standpoint I would argue that this is a good sign as it indicates that NBC at least is really seriously trying to move on and send the series into the sunset while passing the torch and keeping the brand alive. Which doesn't mean Dick Wolf won't keep pushing for one more renewal, just that NBC isn't going to give in. And anything that increases the odds of giving this series a decent burial and trying something new is something to be supported.

• Love 2

Re Law & Order: Defense Lawyers Version:  Are they going to bring back Rafael Barba?  If so, this may be worth watching.  I hope they mirror real-life Raul Esprza's bisexuality and show him like that, as in, he's become a brilliant, sought-after attorney with a upwardly mobile career who just happens to be bi and has a life other than pining for St. Olivia.

Hargitay was live on Kelly Clarkson today.  She’s a huge Hamilton fan and has seen it on Broadway over 20 times!  She got very emotional describing some Hamilton songs that Clarkson has recorded.  She actually broke out in tears.  She has a new hairstyle.  Very straight, obvious highlights and layered around the front.  It looked ok, imo, just too much glosser.  She talked about her nonprofit and the mail she gets thanking her for championing the rights of victims......I suppose that’s a good thing.  Still,.........

• Love 1

The hair looks good, but - at least in the video still clip - MH's eyes are starting to get that wide-eyed perpetually surprised look that can only come from too much plastic surgery. She needs to stop now.

• Love 1
(edited)
43 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I just said on the OC thread that NBC is so frickin' lazy. All Chicago and now all L&O. I can't wait for Dick Wolf to attempt to make Scarface on NBC. Though, I guess if I had two nights of programming on I'd have an over inflated sense of self, too.

Also while SVU was down in total viewers the ratings held the two hours, for both hours were the same in over all and the same demo so which helped OC not lose viewers for a change. 

https://tvline.com/2021/05/14/tv-ratings-mom-season-8-series-finale-cbs/

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

I can't wait for Dick Wolf to attempt to make Scarface on NBC. Though, I guess if I had two nights of programming on I'd have an over inflated sense of self, too.

Darn near 3 (although the third on is on CBS). FBI, FBI: Most Wanted. There's also going to be (I think it was picked up) FBI: International. If they put it on Tuesday (bumping NCIS out of its long time slot), then there will be a DW Tuesday as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Darn near 3 (although the third on is on CBS). FBI, FBI: Most Wanted. There's also going to be (I think it was picked up) FBI: International. If they put it on Tuesday (bumping NCIS out of its long time slot), then there will be a DW Tuesday as well.

D'oh! I completely forgot about FBI! Wow. 

12 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

D'oh! I completely forgot about FBI! Wow. 

AND NBC picked up his reality series L.A. Fire and rescue. He now takes up 30% of their prime time schedule for the fall.

4 hours ago, illdoc said:

It is officially "Dick Wolf" Tuesday (CBS), Wednesday (NBC) and Thursday (NBC). L&O For the Defense, followed by L&O SVU, followed by L&O Organized Crime. https://tvline.com/2021/05/19/dick-wolf-cbs-fbi-nbc-one-chicago-nbc-law-order/

Congrats to Dick Wolf. I can laugh about him being repetitive but this is quite an accomplishment for a guy who has been super established already. 

Off Topic, clicking the link I saw CBS is moving Evil to their streaming service. I don't care if a show is canceled and a different streaming service picks it up (like Lucifer) so you suddenly have to pay but CBS now deciding fans need to pay them annoys me (especially since I don't have Paramount.) I wonder if that'll be the new trend now? Peacock is free right? If OC dips or the new L&O doesn't debut well, will networks now make it mainstream to kick a bubble show over to streaming?

• Love 2