Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: SVU in the Media

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How do we recognize and address victim blaming as a community? If you are unsure what victim-blaming is, please read more about it in this article

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:
19 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Oh no kidding, I was laughing when they were so short handed at the start of season 21 before Kat/after Carisi became ADA, remember in one episode they had to get Carisi and Garland out in the field. Even having some extras in the background doing stuff would be more realistic - but instead they had us basically believe that Benson, Fin and Rollins were the only SVU detectives in Manhattan. I really hope they add in interesting detectives this year, while losing Kat will make the squad extremely thin once again, I won’t miss her, she was whiny and obnoxious, I hope they can get new blood that gives the show freshness. But I bet instead we will get even more focus on super mommies Benson and Rollins, with Carisi and Fin as window dressing.

Expand  

And don't forget about the burgeoning romances between St. Olivia and Unstable Stabler, and the Rollisi rolls in the hay.  Enough soap suds for everyone!

I wonder with all the problems concerning casting problems, they decide to push this into the future and Benson is made a special judge. You have all heard of Judge Dredd, correct? Well, how about Judge Benson. It also solves their budget problems

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

And don't forget about the burgeoning romances between St. Olivia and Unstable Stabler, and the Rollisi rolls in the hay.  Enough soap suds for everyone!

Blah, I feel sick just thinking about it. Sadly this show has officially become more about the romances and personal lives of the main characters than the cases, I think that will become apparent in season 23. Such a disgrace to the legacy of the L&O franchise which was so great for so long, it’s sad that some people will only associate the franchise with the later seasons of SVU and not know about the Mothership, CI, or early SVU. 

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, dttruman said:

Even Barnes was blindsided a little, but he took it graciously. I wish an actor who is let go by this show would actually give an honest assessment and tell us what they actually think of the people who fired them.

It would be interesting to us, but it would be a future career killer for the actors.  I'm sad for Barnes but he may land a bigger, better role elsewhere.  Good luck to him!

• Love 9

I’m not surprised it wasn’t the actors decision to leave, and I think the budget played a role. I also think they may have realized they made a mistake by making the chief a main character, as not every episode requires the attention of the chief, and Garland only appeared in half of the episodes last season despite being a main character. I am pretty sure the chief role will go back to being recurring as it was when Dodds was chief, and I really hope they add in one or two new detectives to give the squad some depth.

I’ll miss Garland, he was a good character, I liked Dodds a lot but Garland did a good job of stepping into the role, I wish they had just kept him as a recurring character because I honestly think if they had done that they wouldn’t be getting rid of him. As for Kat, good riddance, she was rude and unpleasant most of the time. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I really hope they add in one or two new detectives to give the squad some depth.

As far as I know they are adding a new detective who is latino, played by Octavio Pisano. Det. Joe Velasco will become a regular later on.

• Useful 2
11 minutes ago, dttruman said:

As far as I know they are adding a new detective who is latino, played by Octavio Pisano. Det. Joe Velasco will become a regular later on.

Yes I’ve heard that but nothing has been confirmed. I hope this is true and I hope this new detective gives the show a jolt of energy, like Carisi did when he came on in season 16.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Apparently Twitter is having a meltdown because Carson Daly doesn’t want Benson and Stabler to hook up.

I really hate the internet.

The rabid shippers are the fucking worst, I’ll just say it. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion and their own wishes for the show obviously, but the shippers who scream at and insult everyone who doesn’t support their ship are the worst. And unfortunately, I feel like the writers pander a lot to these types, probably because they are the most vocal on social media.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

The rabid shippers are the fucking worst, I’ll just say it. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion and their own wishes for the show obviously, but the shippers who scream at and insult everyone who doesn’t support their ship are the worst. And unfortunately, I feel like the writers pander a lot to these types, probably because they are the most vocal on social media.

Jimmy Fallon Thank You GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Apparently Twitter is having a meltdown because Carson Daly doesn’t want Benson and Stabler to hook up.

I don't know how life will go on if Carson Daly disapproves of Benson/Stabler getting lovey dovey! The horror! (I had to!)

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
On 9/23/2021 at 11:24 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I've never felt so validated for my days of rushing home to watch TRL. 

• Love 8

Is it time for the 500th already??? * Law & Order: SVU alum Danny Pino will return as a guest star to reprise his role as detective Nick Amaro in the NBC procedural’s 500th episode, airing later this season, according to Give Me My Remote.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, illdoc said:

Is it time for the 500th already??? * Law & Order: SVU alum Danny Pino will return as a guest star to reprise his role as detective Nick Amaro in the NBC procedural’s 500th episode, airing later this season, according to Give Me My Remote.

Yawn. I, simply put, do not care. We got the MVP himself back with the franchise, we could care less about his bargain-bin replacement.

How about bringing back Dann Florek and Richard Belzer instead? Now that would be a feat worthy of a milestone this big.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, agentp said:

Yawn. I, simply put, do not care. We got the MVP himself back with the franchise, we could care less about his bargain-bin replacement.

I don't know. I would love to see him meet Stabler (I'm sure there will be a Meloni guest appearance) and ask LIv if he was the partner that held her back all those years...

How about bringing back Dann Florek and Richard Belzer instead? Now that would be a feat worthy of a milestone this big.

I'm sure Belzer is welcome back any time. His health issues have kept him from appearing as much as we (and Dick Wolf, NBC, etc.) would like. Florek is a good idea. Actually if you really wanted to celebrate the history of the franchise bring back Cragen, but have brought in because the victim is related to Mike Logan. Chris Noth doesn't seem to be too busy these days to do it. As long as they don't have fall in love with Benson or mindlessly toss in a line of dialogue that trashes the character and continuity it would be better than most episodes these days!

25 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

I don't know. I would love to see him meet Stabler (I'm sure there will be a Meloni guest appearance) and ask LIv if he was the partner that held her back all those years...

THIS. The show may have forgotten that mess, but I sure haven't.

26 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

Chris Noth doesn't seem to be too busy these days to do it.

Well, he is in the Sex And The City revival, And Just Like That, and is a regular on the revival of The Equalizer, so I'm not sure that's true. But if Noth could do it, great!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, wknt3 said:

If the show ever wants me to give a damn about Amaro, this is the road to go. That was during the era where they wouldn't even say his name. Now look where we are.

2 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Jack McCoy is trending, it seems he's the top pick to be back. I don't want him subjected to 3hour crossovers of Benson telling him what to do. I'm really surprised by this.

• Love 4
On 9/23/2021 at 12:13 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Remember the "good old days", when we had some long arguments with the Benson fans in IMDB's SVU chatroom concerning Benson? Those sometimes lasted for days! I sometimes partake in those discussions on Youtube or Twitter, when I am board.

Edited by dttruman
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Gigi43 said:

If the show ever wants me to give a damn about Amaro, this is the road to go. That was during the era where they wouldn't even say his name. Now look where we are.

Jack McCoy is trending, it seems he's the top pick to be back. I don't want him subjected to 3hour crossovers of Benson telling him what to do. I'm really surprised by this.

I just posted about the potential Mothership revival over on the Mothership board, but I’ll just make a comment here about McCoy - while I would absolutely LOVE to see him again, how would they bring him on as DA given that SVU has taken a gigantic shit on the DA’s office since season 21? I would love it if they said he had run against whoever the new DA is in the latest election and won and is coming back to restore the reputation of the Manhattan DA’s office, but the writers aren’t smart enough to do that. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, agentp said:

How about bringing back Dann Florek and Richard Belzer instead?

2 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I'm sure Belzer is welcome back any time. His health issues have kept him from appearing as much as we (and Dick Wolf, NBC, etc.) would like

Belzer said he would definitely come back, but only on one condition

https://www.looper.com/612072/richard-belzer-agreed-to-join-law-and-order-svu-under-one-condition/

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I'd watch the hell out of that!

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, TooMuchRealityTV said:

I find it interesting that they are reviving it with a season 21, and not rebooting it. I guess they are confident they will get enough original cast members to sign on.

In the case of the Law & Order franchise, I think, even with a new cast, it would still be considered a revival. I mean, there were a ton of cast changes in those 20 seasons. This may (or may not) be a continuation of that fact.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
59 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

In the case of the Law & Order franchise, I think, even with a new cast, it would still be considered a revival. I mean, there were a ton of cast changes in those 20 seasons. This may (or may not) be a continuation of that fact.

I see your point about the constant cast changes. But if we don't at least get a few appearances from past cast members, I'm going to question why they didn't just do a straight reboot.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I may have a problem with this if they bring back some original actors and the characters they played. I don't want to see them if they are wasted by terrible writing or with "out of character" performances.

• Love 7

More casting news and a date for the 500th:

* TVLine has confirmed that Law & Order: SVU‘s milestone 500th episode, airing Thursday, Oct. 21, will guest-star Aidan Quinn (Elementary) as Burton Lowe, a man from Olivia’s past.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

More casting news and a date for the 500th:

* TVLine has confirmed that Law & Order: SVU‘s milestone 500th episode, airing Thursday, Oct. 21, will guest-star Aidan Quinn (Elementary) as Burton Lowe, a man from Olivia’s past.

So the 500th episode will be all about St Olivia. What a shocker. I think this is the episode where Amaro returns as well, it’s really too bad they couldn’t get Munch or Cragen or even Huang back for this episode. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

So the 500th episode will be all about St Olivia. What a shocker. I think this is the episode where Amaro returns as well, it’s really too bad they couldn’t get Munch or Cragen or even Huang back for this episode. 

I wonder if the 500th episode will be another Livfest, and with Amaro turning Amanda's head away from Carisi and whoever the hell else she's flirting with at the time.  Or it could be another 42-minute lead-in to the Wonderful World of Organized Crime led by Fearless Leader Unstable Stabler.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I wonder if the 500th episode will be another Livfest, and with Amaro turning Amanda's head away from Carisi and whoever the hell else she's flirting with at the time.  Or it could be another 42-minute lead-in to the Wonderful World of Organized Crime led by Fearless Leader Unstable Stabler.

I’m almost positive it will be a St Olivia fest, with some side soapy drama with Rollins/Amaro’s return. Fin will be window dressing as always. Who knows if Stabler will pop up. I’ve already seen pictures showing that Noah will be in the 500th episode, and I’m already dreading the brat’s return.

Honestly, the show is such dreck right now that I don’t know why I’m continuing to watch. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

I’m glad they have a new detective, and I already like Velasco more than Kat, there is intrigue surrounding Velasco - with the SVU squad suspicious of him because McGrath is constantly singing his praises, but I think Velasco is a good guy. I have a major feeling that at some point he will turn on McGrath. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I’m glad they have a new detective, and I already like Velasco more than Kat, there is intrigue surrounding Velasco - with the SVU squad suspicious of him because McGrath is constantly singing his praises, but I think Velasco is a good guy. I have a major feeling that at some point he will turn on McGrath. 

I think we may have seen a sample of Velasco's integrity, when he got on the roof to talk that girl down and told Rollins he fudged a little about his sob-story. His convincing ability to lie maybe detrimental to the Squad, so now with everything he says I am going to "take it with a grain of salt".

From TVline's "Matt's Inside Line": 

Any scoops on Rollins and Carisi, or just SVU in general? –Ava
We hear that SVU has a real Carisi showcase coming up, in which Peter Scanavino’s ADA is riding along with some officers when a triple homicide takes place — and the situation will cause Carisi’s lawman roots to resurface, big time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

From TVline's "Matt's Inside Line": 

Any scoops on Rollins and Carisi, or just SVU in general? –Ava
We hear that SVU has a real Carisi showcase coming up, in which Peter Scanavino’s ADA is riding along with some officers when a triple homicide takes place — and the situation will cause Carisi’s lawman roots to resurface, big time.

So just when they start writing Carisi well as an ADA, they are going to write him like a cop again?! SVU’s writers are a bunch of morons with no fresh ideas, I want more of Carisi in the courtroom, not having an ADA act like a cop. 

• Love 5
Just now, illdoc said:

So...are they planning on throwing more problems in the Rollins/Carisi romance? Two returnees, both with romantic(ish) ties to Rollins. https://tvline.com/2021/11/29/law-and-order-svu-donal-logue-returning-season-23-declan-murphy/

Ugh. I liked Murphy up until they made him Rollins’ baby daddy, I was hoping we would never see him again because he will just create more drama for Rollins, and I hate Rollins drama. I don’t really care about Khaldun as long as they don’t make it extra soapy for Rollins, he appeared last season and didn’t cause any tension which was good so maybe that will happen again, but it will likely be a soapy disaster. This show is just so awful now, so much soapy dreck and it’s all about Benson/Rollins, with Carisi reduced to being a plot device for Rollins stories. Meanwhile Fin is basically window dressing and Velasco doesn’t get much more. I really don’t know why I even bother with SVU anymore. 

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Ugh. I liked Murphy up until they made him Rollins’ baby daddy, I was hoping we would never see him again because he will just create more drama for Rollins, and I hate Rollins drama...
I really don’t know why I even bother with SVU anymore. 

I will watch Donal Logue in anything no matter how bad the writing is, including his first run on SVU and Gotham. So I can't agree with you on not wanting to see him again. Unfortunately though it won't be as good as the first time, because current SVU would never let anyone stroll in and tell Benson to sit down and shut up. Man I would watch a whole season of Benoah, a love triangle between Carisi and both Rollins sisters, and revealing that "the 8th floor" is actually Jack McCoy to see that again...

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, wknt3 said:
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

Ugh. I liked Murphy up until they made him Rollins’ baby daddy, I was hoping we would never see him again because he will just create more drama for Rollins, and I hate Rollins drama...
I really don’t know why I even bother with SVU anymore. 

I will watch Donal Logue in anything no matter how bad the writing is, including his first run on SVU and Gotham. So I can't agree with you on not wanting to see him again. Unfortunately though it won't be as good as the first time, because current SVU would never let anyone stroll in and tell Benson to sit down and shut up. Man I would watch a whole season of Benoah, a love triangle between Carisi and both Rollins sisters, and revealing that "the 8th floor" is actually Jack McCoy to see that again...

The only thing that worries me about Murphy coming back is that they will use this character as another throwaway, where he is killed off in an unlikely (or disrespectful) manor or he is totally discredited by becoming a dishonest cop (Dana Lewis) or a serial killer in training,

• Love 3
2 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I agree he’s a great actor, and I really liked Murphy in season 15 to the point where I wish he had been made permanent squad leader, but when they revealed him as the father of Rollins baby in season 17 that just ruined him for me as any future appearances for him would just be all about Rollins drama.

2 hours ago, dttruman said:

The only thing that worries me about Murphy coming back is that they will use this character as another throwaway, where he is killed off in an unlikely (or disrespectful) manor or he is totally discredited by becoming a dishonest cop (Dana Lewis) or a serial killer in training,

I know, SVU loves to throw characters under the bus and then run over them with the bus, so I’m afraid they will do that to Murphy as well. SVU’s writers care more about shock value and getting a reaction on social media than they do about respecting characters.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I agree he’s a great actor, and I really liked Murphy in season 15 to the point where I wish he had been made permanent squad leader, but when they revealed him as the father of Rollins baby in season 17 that just ruined him for me as any future appearances for him would just be all about Rollins drama.

I know, SVU loves to throw characters under the bus and then run over them with the bus, so I’m afraid they will do that to Murphy as well. SVU’s writers care more about shock value and getting a reaction on social media than they do about respecting characters.

I've been waiting for this!  Murphy will be back!  I'm too excited right now to be worried about Declan being thrown under the bus.  I will take whatever I can get, including Rollins baby daddy drama because I love Donal Logue so much.

Hopefully the other romanic(ish) love interest of Amanda's will be the one who breaks up Rollisi and our Sonny comes to a realization that he deserves more than being a convenient stepdaddy figure to her two different daddy-ed babies.  The show will probably have Murphy act like a prick to Amanda about Jesse (his offspring) though.

Anyway, I can't wait!

• Love 2

Since SVU is basically Days of Our Lives at night now:

How about Murphy comes back because of some crisis with Rollins kid #1. However, when he tries to donate blood, a kidney, marrow, or his brain (hey, I said it was a soap!), guess what?!

Jesse is NOT his. Come to find out, the kid is Amaro's or something. And let all drama for that ensue off screen.

Once that is rectified, after 20+ years of Olivia Benson flouting procedure/rules/whatever in the name of her pontificating, the brass above finally has enough and demotes her back to detective (since she still acts like one, anyway!) and Murphy gets her old job. Drama ensues.

I know. It would never happen. But I can dream...

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Since SVU is basically Days of Our Lives at night now:

How about Murphy comes back because of some crisis with Rollins kid #1. However, when he tries to donate blood, a kidney, marrow, or his brain (hey, I said it was a soap!), guess what?!

Jesse is NOT his. Come to find out, the kid is Amaro's or something. And let all drama for that ensue off screen.

Once that is rectified, after 20+ years of Olivia Benson flouting procedure/rules/whatever in the name of her pontificating, the brass above finally has enough and demotes her back to detective (since she still acts like one, anyway!) and Murphy gets her old job. Drama ensues.

I know. It would never happen. But I can dream...

LOL your post made me laugh. But honestly nothing is off limits in modern day SVU, they get off on crapping on popular characters for shock value, and as for ridiculousness, well Barba mercy killing a baby, Peter Stone’s exit story plus his sister’s story, Benson and Rollins getting promoted, consistently bad plots, nothing would shock me anymore with SVU, other than someone calling out St Olivia on her bullshit and not accepting her as lord and savior. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
Just now, Xeliou66 said:

LOL your post made me laugh. But honestly nothing is off limits in modern day SVU, they get off on crapping on popular characters for shock value, and as for ridiculousness, well Barba mercy killing a baby, Peter Stone’s exit story plus his sister’s story, Benson and Rollins getting promoted, consistently bad plots, nothing would shock me anymore with SVU, other than someone calling out St Olivia on her bullshit and not accepting her as lord and savior. 

Let us go way back and remember poor Cragen and the deal with the hookers...

Still, at least when the show had Carolyn Barek from Criminal Intent appear, she was promoted since her Major Case days with Mike Logan. And was still fairly competent and not made into a baby killer or vigilante (hi, Alex Cabot!) or serial killer in training. (Even if she would have picked up on the dirty detective had she still had all gray matter from said days at CI, but hey, all things considered, Carolyn made it through relatively unharmed.)

So, I guess there is always that crumb of hope! (Until TPTB cruelly snatch it away. Which is why I also never want to see past franchise characters visit, so I get it!)

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Let us go way back and remember poor Cragen and the deal with the hookers...

Still, at least when the show had Carolyn Barek from Criminal Intent appear, she was promoted since her Major Case days with Mike Logan. And was still fairly competent and not made into a baby killer or vigilante (hi, Alex Cabot!) or serial killer in training. (Even if she would have picked up on the dirty detective had she still had all gray matter from said days at CI, but hey, all things considered, Carolyn made it through relatively unharmed.)

So, I guess there is always that crumb of hope! (Until TPTB cruelly snatch it away. Which is why I also never want to see past franchise characters visit, so I get it!)

Ah yes I forgot to mention Cabot doing a 180 and becoming a vigilante with little respect for the law. At least I thought the Cragen hooker plot was competently executed for the most part and didn’t shit on the characters, even if it was kind of far fetched.

Overall I was pleased with Barek’s appearance and I loved that she name dropped Goren and how everyone knew who Goren was despite probably having never met him, that was nice continuity and I’m sure Goren’s a legend in universe.

And I did think Jack McCoy’s appearance in season 19 was great even with the Barba exit plot being stupid. Jack was true to form throughout and his eulogy of Ben Stone was very moving, especially for fans of both characters.

So there’s still some hope that SVU can bring back characters and not trash them, but given SVU’s track record it’s not promising.

Oh yeah don’t forget Ed Tucker, he got thrown under the bus to an extent and then killed off, I think just to get him out of the way for the inevitable Benson/Stabler romance. 

• Love 3