Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: SVU in the Media

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How do we recognize and address victim blaming as a community? If you are unsure what victim-blaming is, please read more about it in this article

• Start Topic

LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT: Jason Biggs to Guest Star

It’ll be a working Christmas for the SVU squad, as they catch a case on Christmas Eve…albeit with a twist. The returning Declan (Donal Logue) is leading a task force, which also includes Sergeant Khaldun (Ari’el Stachel), into a spree of recent hate crimes, and recruits his former SVU colleagues for some help. Biggs will play a detective on the task force.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Could have used this on the scuttled Law & Order: Hate Crimes.

My first thought was that this sounds like a plot from the proposed Hate Crimes show. Personally, I dislike these types of episodes on SVU, they are so clunky and the dialogue is ripped from cliched social media talking points and the episodes reek of having a strong political agenda and are usually condescending to the viewer and cringeworthy to watch. That plus the inevitable Rollins/Murphy drama makes this another SVU I’m dreading. This show is just utter dog shit now, I don’t even know why I bother to watch.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

My first thought was that this sounds like a plot from the proposed Hate Crimes show. Personally, I dislike these types of episodes on SVU, they are so clunky and the dialogue is ripped from cliched social media talking points and the episodes reek of having a strong political agenda and are usually condescending to the viewer and cringeworthy to watch. That plus the inevitable Rollins/Murphy drama makes this another SVU I’m dreading. This show is just utter dog shit now, I don’t even know why I bother to watch.

But Donal Logue will be on!!!

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

But Donal Logue will be on!!!

Like I say, he’s great and Murphy was a really compelling character at the start, but the dumbass writers ruined it when they made Murphy Rollins’ baby daddy. I hate Rollins drama more than I like Murphy, and I guarantee they are going to put Carisi in the middle of this soapy drama, and I don’t like it.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Like I say, he’s great and Murphy was a really compelling character at the start, but the dumbass writers ruined it when they made Murphy Rollins’ baby daddy. I hate Rollins drama more than I like Murphy, and I guarantee they are going to put Carisi in the middle of this soapy drama, and I don’t like it.

That's because you're a guy who doesn't have a ❤️ 💋 on him.  😄 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Technically this is Mothership news but they all crossover so much I thought it fit here:

DISTRICT ATTORNEY JACK MCCOY IS BACK!!!!!

https://tvline.com/2021/12/16/law-and-order-revival-sam-waterston-cast-jack-mccoy-season-21/

I’m thrilled about this!! And I’m really curious what SVU does now - will they take note of it? Trashing the DA’s office has become common on SVU, it happens in the majority of episodes now, will SVU take note of this and stop doing it? Will they even work it into the plot somehow with Jack returning? Or will they continue trashing it and making snide remarks about Carisi’s bosses with no recognition of what’s going on on the Mothership? Can’t wait to find out. And I’m thrilled that McCoy is back!!

• Love 3
On 12/16/2021 at 4:51 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I’m thrilled about this!! And I’m really curious what SVU does now - will they take note of it? Trashing the DA’s office has become common on SVU, it happens in the majority of episodes now, will SVU take note of this and stop doing it? Will they even work it into the plot somehow with Jack returning? Or will they continue trashing it and making snide remarks about Carisi’s bosses with no recognition of what’s going on on the Mothership? Can’t wait to find out. And I’m thrilled that McCoy is back!!

My guess is that they may tone it down a bit, but otherwise it will be business as usual. They have to have known they were going in this direction for some time, and if for some reason it couldn't be done there would have been a new distinguished actor playing a different DA who I'm guessing would not be portrayed as a political hack or a completely incompetent manager. So we will get the occasional reference to Carisi's bosses or "the 8th floor" and the only change is that we will most likely get a cameo appearance where he spends 30 seconds telling Carisi he's doing a good job and 5 minutes telling Benson she's the bestest most elite detective ever.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

My guess is that they may tone it down a bit, but otherwise it will be business as usual. They have to have known they were going in this direction for some time, and if for some reason it couldn't be done there would have been a new distinguished actor playing a different DA who I'm guessing would not be portrayed as a political hack or a completely incompetent manager. So we will get the occasional reference to Carisi's bosses or "the 8th floor" and the only change is that we will most likely get a cameo appearance where he spends 30 seconds telling Carisi he's doing a good job and 5 minutes telling Benson she's the bestest most elite detective ever.

I’m really curious about it how they do it, because it will be really weird to have the DA’s office portrayed well on the Mothership and then have them make snide remarks about Carisi’s bosses the next hour on SVU. But I don’t think the SVU writers are smart enough to acknowledge they’ve fucked up with how they’ve written the DA’s office, so they are in kind of a tricky situation. No matter what they do I’m excited about having Jack McCoy back, but I really don’t want a lot of crossover between the Mothership and SVU - please keep St Olivia and her crap a long way from the Mothership, she just drags everything down.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I wonder if they are going to make D'Angelo use a heavy distinct NY accent, the way Carisi does? I also wonder what kind of hangups  the character will have and how they will conflict with Carisi and Rollins as a couple? Will the writers and producers make it a subtle conflict or will they go so over the top as they have in the past with some of their other soap opera type conflicts

• Love 3
3 hours ago, dttruman said:

I wonder if they are going to make D'Angelo use a heavy distinct NY accent, the way Carisi does? I also wonder what kind of hangups  the character will have and how they will conflict with Carisi and Rollins as a couple? Will the writers and producers make it a subtle conflict or will they go so over the top as they have in the past with some of their other soap opera type conflicts

Subtle?

I have yet to see a story with the leads and the actors playing their parents EVER be subtle. Stabler's mother, Benson and her mom, Goren and his. Oh wait, Eames' dad on CI was only in one scene (but I bet had the show went beyond S10, that would have gotten dramatic, too!).

Long way of saying I'll be shocked if the show takes the light approach with Carisi and his mother. But we'll see.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm excited to see Beverly D'Angelo in anything, so this will be a treat for me!  Mama Carisi and Det. Amanda Rollins?  Not so much.  I hate that they might go there and serve Amanda a nice Italian meal on the good plates.  If there's a love triangle with Rollins and Valesco and Carisi, then it should be a love square with Declan Murphy, Baby Daddy #1, in the mix.  Now that would be a dinner to remember if they all showed up with Amanda!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I'm excited to see Beverly D'Angelo in anything, so this will be a treat for me!  Mama Carisi and Det. Amanda Rollins?  Not so much.  I hate that they might go there and serve Amanda a nice Italian meal on the good plates.  If there's a love triangle with Rollins and Valesco and Carisi, then it should be a love square with Declan Murphy, Baby Daddy #1, in the mix.  Now that would be a dinner to remember if they all showed up with Amanda!

And Benson will be sitting in the middle of that "Love Square" on a spinning chair, ready at a moments notice to dispense heart felt advice to anyone in emotional distress whether they want it or not.

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, dttruman said:

And Benson will be sitting in the middle of that "Love Square" on a spinning chair, ready at a moments notice to dispense heart felt advice to anyone in emotional distress whether they want it or not.

The Whispers of Wisdom from St. Olivia.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Not looking forward to having more family drama - I really hate how soapy the show is now. Also I don’t like Carisi’s niece, I hated the season 19 episode she was in where she was raped after making a false rape allegation, that was a stupid plot, and she was not likable and I don’t look forward to seeing her again. At least it’s not more Noah drama or the Rollins family, but I’ll bet they are saving that for later on in the season. This show is such a terrible soap opera now, I’m ready for the Mothership to return and hopefully be high quality so I can enjoy an L&O show again and not just hate watch. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

Not looking forward to having more family drama - I really hate how soapy the show is now. Also I don’t like Carisi’s niece, I hated the season 19 episode she was in where she was raped after making a false rape allegation, that was a stupid plot, and she was not likable and I don’t look forward to seeing her again.

Yeah, I thought that plot was way off in many ways, The Big Mistake in that one was Carisi told his niece to lie. And I thought that was totally out of character for Carisi, but it helped the narrative.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, dttruman said:

Yeah, I thought that plot was way off in many ways, The Big Mistake in that one was Carisi told his niece to lie. And I thought that was totally out of character for Carisi, but it helped the narrative.

Everything about that episode was stupid - Carisi was so OOC, especially with how he told his niece to just go fix things on her own after she lied about the first incident, he didn’t go with her to back her up or get the others involved. And then after Carisi admits the first rape never happened, the defense attorney put her client on the stand where he had a meltdown instead of moving for a dismissal which she probably would’ve gotten!! Like I said, stupid episode. And I didn’t find Carisi’s niece sympathetic at all. I don’t look forward to seeing her again or having Carisi family drama that may just go to make Carisi look unethical again, or at the very least have a lot of soapy drama. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

from the ny times. pretty much sums up my feelings.

ny times take on law and order

It's too bad the article doesn't explain why some of SVU plots have overall had a tendency to be amateurish and the flow of the action had been less than realistic just to suit the producers' narratives while skimping on production costs

• Love 2
16 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Iced T is on Fallon tonight.  

I wonder if they will talk about SVU and upcoming episodes, his "In Ice Cold Blood" tv series or his numerous pitchman commercials?

• Love 2
On 4/22/2022 at 1:38 PM, dttruman said:

I wonder if they will talk about SVU and upcoming episodes, his "In Ice Cold Blood" tv series or his numerous pitchman commercials?

Did anyone watch and have a report they can give?  I don't watch Fallon, so... my loss this time I guess!

• Love 1

From TV Line's Inside Scoop

Any Carisi-centric scoop you can provide for these last few SVU eps of the season? –Anna

I am hearing that this season’s 21st episode will test Carisi’s faith when a childhood friend, who later became a priest, turns up as a suspect. (If you need help with the math, Episode 19 airs this Thursday, FYI.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, milkyaqua said:

Glad Carisi is getting something that doesn’t involving his relationship with Rollins! But I guess Fin won’t get a single episode centered around him all season, that’s a fucking travesty - we’ve gotten a ton of Benson and Rollins plots and even some Velasco stuff and a couple of Carisi heavy episodes yet nothing for Fin, the one character who’s universally loved. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Glad Carisi is getting something that doesn’t involving his relationship with Rollins! But I guess Fin won’t get a single episode centered around him all season, that’s a fucking travesty - we’ve gotten a ton of Benson and Rollins plots and even some Velasco stuff and a couple of Carisi heavy episodes yet nothing for Fin, the one character who’s universally loved. 

Yeah, next season they need to set a side one episode for Fin where Munch comes out of retirement (or whatever reason he left) and together they investigate a case with all their friendly insults and banter. It doesn't have to be too complex, just Fin and Munch working together, like in the old days.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, dttruman said:

Yeah, next season they need to set a side one episode for Fin where Munch comes out of retirement (or whatever reason he left) and together they investigate a case with all their friendly insults and banter. It doesn't have to be too complex, just Fin and Munch working together, like in the old days.

That would be a dream come true for me, a Fin/Munch reunion where they investigate a case together!! I don’t know where Richard Belzer lives now or what his health is like or what he’s doing, but if they could get Munch back for an episode that would be AWESOME! But even if they don’t get Munch back, they need an episode soon where Fin takes on the lead role investigating from start to finish, or we see Fin’s family, either Phoebe or Ken, it’s always nice when they appear, mainly because they aren’t shoved down our throats like Noah is or annoying like Rollins’ garbage family is. This season, Fin hasn’t gotten one episode where he has taken the lead, and he’s only gotten a decent sized role in a couple of episodes, for the most part he’s been in the background. It annoys me how they try to make Rollins the #2 character behind Benson instead of Fin, when Fin has been there a decade longer and is a way better character, I get that Ice T has other stuff he does and doesn’t want a huge workload but Fin should get meatier stuff. I’m very annoyed with how Fin isn’t going to get one episode with him at the forefront this season.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, dttruman said:

Belzer is retired from acting, living in the South of France , 77 years old and hasn't tweeted anything on his Twitter since 2020.  I've actually been kind of worried about how he's doing. I check online every once in awhile to see if there's any news about him out there.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Belzer is retired from acting, living in the South of France , 77 years old and hasn't tweeted anything on his Twitter since 2020.  I've actually been kind of worried about how he's doing. I check online every once in awhile to see if there's any news about him out there.

Interesting that he’s living in France now. If he visits America anytime, SVU should do everything possible to get him to make a cameo, seeing Munch again would thrill so many viewers! 

• Love 3

Of course, the above ^^^^ says it's the SVU finale---it's not. Worse, Noah will be in the next episode. Imdb summary: When a student's school reports a girl missing, the squad must track down a trusted family friend for answers. Benson gets a Mother's Day surprise.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

This 10-year old commercial, directed by Taika Waititi, was mentioned on today’s Parks & Recollection podcast. Check out the section starting at 2:38. Ice-T’s expression is priceless! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Pj3422 said:

This 10-year old commercial, directed by Taika Waititi, was mentioned on today’s Parks & Recollection podcast. Check out the section starting at 2:38. Ice-T’s expression is priceless! 

I don't think he will ever get rid of that famous "Scowl". He has also recently become a spokesperson for "Cheerios Cereal", if you have seen those commercials.

Edited by dttruman
  • Love 2

I have mixed feelings about Warren leaving - the positive thing about Warren is that he gave us a greater variety of cases and storylines I feel like, not just upper class white people in he said/she said rape cases. On the other hand, Warren absolutely loves soapy drama, so he threw in a ton of Rollins family drama as Rollins is his pet character as well, and of course St Olivia/Noah crap. And also he has a strange hard on for trashing the DA’s office, which has notably stopped since the Mothership’s return, hopefully the new showrunner will abandon all mention of “the 8th floor” for good. Hopefully a new show runner will give fresh life to the show and remove some of the negative elements, but I’m afraid the true showrunner is Mariska, and she’ll continue to demand the Benson worship and Benson centric storylines placed front and center.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I have mixed feelings about Warren leaving - the positive thing about Warren is that he gave us a greater variety of cases and storylines I feel like, not just upper class white people in he said/she said rape cases. On the other hand, Warren absolutely loves soapy drama, so he threw in a ton of Rollins family drama as Rollins is his pet character as well, and of course St Olivia/Noah crap. And also he has a strange hard on for trashing the DA’s office, which has notably stopped since the Mothership’s return, hopefully the new showrunner will abandon all mention of “the 8th floor” for good. Hopefully a new show runner will give fresh life to the show and remove some of the negative elements, but I’m afraid the true showrunner is Mariska, and she’ll continue to demand the Benson worship and Benson centric storylines placed front and center.

Will Hargitay become the show runner now?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I've been wondering the same thing.

I think she’s been the de facto showrunner since about season 15. She won’t be the official showrunner/head writer, but we all know she has more influence than anyone over the show, and that’s why we get so much Benson worship and Benson shoved down our throats constantly. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I think she’s been the de facto showrunner since about season 15. She won’t be the official showrunner/head writer, but we all know she has more influence than anyone over the show, and that’s why we get so much Benson worship and Benson shoved down our throats constantly. 

Would you say that she only answers to Wolf himself?

• Love 1