Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E06: Ready? Set. Auction! / S17.E07: Ship Shape

An auction is held and contestants win top-notch prizes, including a solo workout with Bob Harper.

Great. A punishment disguised as a prize!

I'm Bob's ego is going to be all over this episode.

• Love 2

It can't be good when this season's crop is inspiring people to root AGAINST them, lol. Well, nothing new, I suppose.

Tonight's viewing snack: Latkes and appleschause, (in Peter Brady's Bogart voice.)

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 3

Just when you thought weigh-in's couldn't get more overwrought or unnecessarily dramatic, Erin has to break into song. And for goodness sake, Jen, stop crying.

I may be stumbling around the room after the show tonight looking for my eyes which have been rolling all night and are about to roll right out of my head. 

• Love 5

Did Bob really call the day with him the ultimate luxury? As if!

Why did Colby eliminate Toy who supposedly was a bigger risk to keep than Vicki and then turn around and eliminate Vicki the next week? While saying he was keeping the person who would help the team more, which is clearly Erin. That doesn't sound very clear.

• Love 1

Did Bob really call the day with him the ultimate luxury? As if!

Why did Colby eliminate Toy who supposedly was a bigger risk to keep than Vicki and then turn around and eliminate Vicki the next week? While saying he was keeping the person who would help the team more, which is clearly Erin. That doesn't sound very clear.

Erin and Vicki are pretty much equals in the weight they have to lose. Colby should be able to outlast either of them based on pure numbers. Erin's a heckuva lot better at winning challenges, so in that instance it's better to keep her.

Toy still had probably 60-80 lbs to lose before hitting that same wall. She hadn't been pulling big numbers, but had the extra weight to lose. She also had her growing pound, which at 5 weeks would probably put them in single play. It was smart to knock her out as soon as possible.

Erin's singing was awful. I could have done without that. I also thought these episodes are getting ridiculously short on content. One of the weigh ins started before the half hour! I also thought there was a commercial that alludes that there was more to the auction thing. Like they were punished based on how many BL bucks were spent. Because it seems weird they wouldn't have prizes for everyone and not care that the first person to raise their hand and screamed $500 won without any consequences.

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 2

Jen made a big mistake. She should have let Toy and Toy alone make the decision about whether to use the 1 lb advantage instead of coaching her to hang onto it. Even if Toy approached her for advice, I think Jen should have said, "That's your decision," because Toy was there to lose weight, it is more than just a game.

I think Jen needs to be a little less involved and just be the trainer. I don't ever see Dolvett getting involved in team strategies, he just trains them and encourages them at challenges. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course. 

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 1

I must be missing something because I did not see Toy as a threat. Yes, she may have more weight to lose than Vicki, but she really did not work hard. Does anyone know if the contestants picked their own clothing during the Where Are They Now Eliminated Contestants segments because the dress Toy had on did not do her any favors. Vicki looks great. Bob calling out Colby for alleged game playing. The pot calling the kettle black. Bob should go back to school if he wants to be a counselor instead of playing an armchair counselor on the show. Winning a day with Bob is a luxury. *snort* I say getting away from Bob is more of a luxury. The only contestant I can stomach anymore is Rob, but his crying last night did get on my nerves a little. Usually by now I am rooting more for the at home contestants, but I cannot stand any of them either.

Strategy by Team Jen in the rope pull challenge was poor.  They had their biggest guys go last, when the rope (and buoys) were lightest.  Did they intentionally throw that challenge?

There's really lack of interesting characters this season.  And it's the first season I can recall that uses "Team Jen" and "Team Dolvett" instead of Red Team and Blue Team.  Overall, it just reeks of a show coming to an end a couple of seasons too late.

• Love 2

Jumping in here before reading the previous comments, so I apologize if this has all already been mentioned.

I think that is probably the last time we see a TBL auction--man, that just didn't work at all.  And I was offended at the message of the first ep.  Basically, don't care for yourself at the expense of working out because you don't deserve it yet.  I will admit that I watch TBL almost as a cautionary tale, but that should have been handled differently.

I skipped through all the Bob-centric crap.  It's bad enough he's even still on this show--they should have put him out to pasture when Jillian left, not promote him.  I'm also developing a strong dislike of Colby but I can't blame him for the way he voted either time--although the dramatics were over the top.  Vicki might have had more to lose than Erin, but Erin was stronger by far.  Toy was not an asset to the team--she consistently pulled low numbers...until, apparently, she left the ranch.  Both she and Vicki look great.

Of course, with all this talk about doing what is best for the team, yada yada yada, it makes me think they're going to singles next week.

• Love 2

All these Southern twangy twang twangs are getting to me. 

I was raised by Southerners (although nowhere near this level) so it doesn't bother me.  I loved when Vicki said "cash money".  My mom still has certain Southernisms, like sugar diabetes and blood vein.

Just when you thought weigh-in's couldn't get more overwrought or unnecessarily dramatic, Erin has to break into song. And for goodness sake, Jen, stop crying.

I think she was trying for an Olivia moment.  The difference is that Olivia's opera career had been impacted by her obesity.

Jen made a big mistake. She should have let Toy and Toy alone make the decision about whether to use the 1 lb advantage instead of coaching her to hang onto it. Even if Toy approached her for advice, I think Jen should have said, "That's your decision," because Toy was there to lose weight, it is more than just a game.

I think Jen needs to be a little less involved and just be the trainer. I don't ever see Dolvett getting involved in team strategies, he just trains them and encourages them at challenges. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course. 

I don't like that Jen was acting as if that "growing pound" belonged to the team, versus Toy.  There seemed to be a lot of we and us in her conversation.

I must be missing something because I did not see Toy as a threat. Yes, she may have more weight to lose than Vicki, but she really did not work hard. Does anyone know if the contestants picked their own clothing during the Where Are They Now Eliminated Contestants segments because the dress Toy had on did not do her any favors. Vicki looks great. Bob calling out Colby for alleged game playing. The pot calling the kettle black. Bob should go back to school if he wants to be a counselor instead of playing an armchair counselor on the show. Winning a day with Bob is a luxury. *snort* I say getting away from Bob is more of a luxury.

I'm not really enjoying Bob's hosting either.  He's in everyone's business, and you can almost see Jen and Dolvett gritting their teeth when he shows up and inserts himself into things.  He definitely implied Colby water loaded - I would agree.  But that's not his business.  He was also pretty rude to Jen after Toy's weigh in.  "Jen I'm sorry but you're going to have to leave" doesn't sound bad, but his tone was abrupt and he looked angry.  That's just not his role and I felt a little for Jen.  I want Ali back.  She knew her role and she did a pretty good job.

After last night I'm over Colby.  I've also liked Erin from the beginning, but found her rather irritating in this episode.

• Love 3

I watched all this on fast forward last night so maybe I missed it (no I don't really think I did) but is there always so little discussion of how they are actually dieting and losing weight?

Speaking from personal experience, losing weight takes attention and routine and specific *work* and leaves you feeling hungry and frustrated and tired and .... I guess all I'm saying is that the people aren't all that interesting so why not show a bit more of the process they're being put through? Rather than having announcer guy screaming at me all the time with a voiceover of what I can see on-screen?

• Love 2

I watched all this on fast forward last night so maybe I missed it (no I don't really think I did) but is there always so little discussion of how they are actually dieting and losing weight?

Yes. Unless there is a cooking lesson and product plug for Jennie-O or Subway.

Bad editing: when Stephen was weighing in for the 1st WI of the night, Bob said "your weight is...10 lbs!"

Wow, Vicky lost a lot at home.

Doesn't any contestant learn from previous seasons? You should always vote home the member of a family/team. If you don't split them apart they will vote together at singles & pick you off one by one. As happened in the Pepperoni Tits season.

• Love 4

I also thought there was a commercial that alludes that there was more to the auction thing. Like they were punished based on how many BL bucks were spent. Because it seems weird they wouldn't have prizes for everyone and not care that the first person to raise their hand and screamed $500 won without any consequences.

I thought that whole thing was badly managed - like, if they were going to give them each $500 BL Bucks (or whatever the hell), what about the people that didn't spend any? I'd like to see that revived later in the season so those people (whoever they are and whoever is left) have the opportunity to use them again or cash them in for something else.  Something about 'delayed gratification' or ... whatever armchair psychology they can come up with.

• Love 2

Speaking from personal experience, losing weight takes attention and routine and specific *work* and leaves you feeling hungry and frustrated and tired and .... I guess all I'm saying is that the people aren't all that interesting so why not show a bit more of the process they're being put through? Rather than having announcer guy screaming at me all the time with a voiceover of what I can see on-screen?

I agree--what are they doing all the time when they are not with their trainers? Why aren't we seeing this? The temptations in the kitchen are the important ones. And never mind the product placement crap and Bob and his fake counseling--how does a morbidly obese person deal with portion control when every one of his or her extra 100 lbs is screaming FEED ME. I would much rather have some bona fide nutritionists be as big a part of every show as the trainers (that blonde on My Diet Is Better would be perfect, just as an example) AND the contestants' reactions and attempts to incorporate what they are bing taught would be good tv. Plus why the heck aren't we being shown the cheating--the waterloading, the sneaking into the kitchen and overeating, etc., along with the "boohoo why did I lose only one pound when I did everything right" and the trainers' sympathetic nodding at the weighins. You know they have video of everything, so why not use it?

I bet Richard Hatch had an alliance started and the remnants of it are still trying to play it, so that's why threatless Toy went home--she was not in the RH alliance. And why not show us this maneuvering? It would be a lot more interesting.

Do you think Dolvett's teeth can be seen from outer space? They are soooo bright white.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 4

Strategy by Team Jen in the rope pull challenge was poor.  They had their biggest guys go last, when the rope (and buoys) were lightest.  Did they intentionally throw that challenge?

The producers like it when a team comes back from behind or can be made to look like they might.

[bob] was also pretty rude to Jen after Toy's weigh in.  "Jen I'm sorry but you're going to have to leave" doesn't sound bad, but his tone was abrupt and he looked angry.  That's just not his role and I felt a little for Jen.

It's also not his role to lecture on how contestants should use an advantage right away. For one thing, what's the point of a growing pound if you don't allow it to grow? But also, the desire to use it right now is right next door to a compulsion to eat hearty while you can because you never know what's in the future (for those whose ancestors faced an uncertain food supply).

• Love 4

I'd like something as simple as a cam left by the door of the stocked refrigerator wherever they are housed and interviews with people about fighting their temptations.  Look, the situation they are in is unrealistic from a million different angles - and all of that is fine if it makes better TV - but I'd rather see them struggling with stress eating and hunger pangs than talking about being separated from their families, which I can get from literally any reality show.

Edited by rab01
  • Love 1

Did one or more contestants got caught bringing food to the ranch in another season? Sorry, but my memory is rusty, but I thought it had happened at least once.

I think the Tongan twins did. The memory cheats, though.

My favorite moment was Bob talking about people's "demons." He needs to show up with a big white wig and begin casting them out with the cry of, "Hal-a-bob-ya!"

Did one or more contestants got caught bringing food to the ranch in another season? Sorry, but my memory is rusty, but I thought it had happened at least once.

Wasn't it the former Greco-Roman Wrestling Olympian?  I forgot his name.  Anyway, he just sort of left mid-season and wasn't invited back for the finale.  I think he's in the WWF or something like that now.

• Love 1

Wasn't it the former Greco-Roman Wrestling Olympian?  I forgot his name.  Anyway, he just sort of left mid-season and wasn't invited back for the finale.  I think he's in the WWF or something like that now.

Rulon Gardner.

• Love 1

Bob's lecture about using advantages right away was really annoying. It didn't work out for Toy. That doesn't mean it would not work for someone else. He almost sounded like he did not understand the concept of the "growing" part of the prize.

I understand the team voting her out though. She seemed to be the weak link, both in weight loss and in challenges, on the team. The show seemed to be good for her though, and years from now, I think she will still be a success story.

I love that there was not a big bidding war for time with Bob, and it was a small amount "paid" anyway. I wonder how his ego felt about that. No 500 for you, Bob. Lol.

I could be wrong, but I got the impression that Erin wasn't really into her song. She probably imagined much better circumstances when she made the promise, and it seemed like she felt like she had to go through with it.

• Love 1

I'm sorry to ask, but what in the world does being Morman have to do with it?  That struck me as a very odd comment to make.

Sorry, I was just trying to place Rulon, and think he was in era of BL when a lot  of the contestants were Mormon, which was discussed at the time.

Rulon had hidden a cell phone somewhere on the ranch property and was caught using it.  He was allowed to quietly leave for 'personal reasons'.  He wasn't Mormon as far as I know.... and I've never heard any of the cast discuss their religion. 

I have no problem with Colby admitting to voting Toy out for selfish reasons... there's a $250,000 prize on the line.  Keeping Toy is dangerous to the team (and therefore Colby) because she consistently had low percentage weight loss, meaning they might be in the elimination room more often. Granted, the second week on the episode, they were in the room again, but Colby couldn't predict that.  Maybe he water-boarded the first episode, or maybe he ate a little more..  However, the second episode he only lost 7. If you had immunity, maybe you'd eat an extra piece of chicken, etc.   The truth is some weeks they do well, some weeks they don't.   In past seasons, they have shown multiple refrigerators in the kitchen, some stocked with healthy, some not so healthy foods. The contestants pick their own food out of the refrigerators.

I liked Colby's approach to the auction... I'm gonna drive up the cost so everyone else spends their money... and I can sneak in and get the big prize. Although 5 days at Atlantis for your family would be a great prize too.

Jen had NO right to counsel (badger)  Toy on using/not using the growing pound advantage.. Toy got eliminated on that turn of the dime.  Jen doesn't get eliminated.  Who would have been under the yellow line instead of Toy had she used it?  Toy looked so much younger in her at home reveal than she did at the ranch.

I think Colby voted for Vicky for the same reason he voted for Toy, plus he might have still thought Vicki wanted to go instead of Erin. It's a game, so I really don't get upset at who goes home, although I often like one contestant more than another.

Truthfully, Toy and Vicki both did much better at home than they had been doing at the ranch.

Bob is trying to wear too many hats.  He's supposed to host, not also be trainer, coach, and counselor.  Allison did a much better job of doing just host duties.  Of course, she wasn't at the ranch every day because she had other duties.  

• Love 2

Bob's lecture about using advantages right away was really annoying. It didn't work out for Toy. That doesn't mean it would not work for someone else. He almost sounded like he did not understand the concept of the "growing" part of the prize.

I understand the team voting her out though. She seemed to be the weak link, both in weight loss and in challenges, on the team. The show seemed to be good for her though, and years from now, I think she will still be a success story.

I love that there was not a big bidding war for time with Bob, and it was a small amount "paid" anyway. I wonder how his ego felt about that. No 500 for you, Bob. Lol.

Bob is stretching for things to say (because well... he's not that bright).  If she HAD used the advantage and hadn't needed to she no doubt would have gotten a lecture on how she'd wasted it.

Really as bad as this show has been for years, it's interesting (and sad) to see how Bob hosting has made it even worse. 

I know. Next year Dr. Death can host! THAT'LL be better, riiiiiiight?

• Love 4