Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

Varner also conveniently leaves out the "Yeah, SNUFF that torch!" angry comment when Kellee was voted out--we don't know if he was feeling that angry mainly about these claims, or just in general, but it certainly wasn't symptomatic of someone who is "oh so caring and would never hurt anyone blah blah blah" which he had just gone on about at length at tribal council.  

Yeah, Dan's an angry, entitled molester. If you reject his fondling you'll get his wrath. I can imagine his employees fear.

• Love 3

This comment is about Mike White from (I think) season 38, who I thought  was adorable and who wrote the screenplay for School of Rock. I'm not sure if he wrote the earlier Broadway play, but kudos if he did.  I watched the film for the first time last night with my 8-year old grandson. It was howling good fun and I would recommend it for all ages. Even with Jack Black chewing the scenery. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Yes, as soon as Varner started telling us that Dan's fondling and groping was his "love language" I started getting that blurry, confused, did I hear that right feeling that signals gaslighting.

Another one of Varner's attempts to make us doubt our own observations is, "Janet loves Dan!" as some sort of evidence that he's a good guy.  It's Kellee's opinion that matters here.  

It was Kellee who referred to it as Dan's "love language".

• Love 1
11 hours ago, LanceM said:

It was Kellee who referred to it as Dan's "love language".

When did she refer to it that way? Was that in the first episode, when she first said something to him about not wanting to be touched and he seemed to get it? I'll bet she stopped calling it that after he kept touching her. Or if she did, it was done ironically.

10 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

When did she refer to it that way? Was that in the first episode, when she first said something to him about not wanting to be touched and he seemed to get it? I'll bet she stopped calling it that after he kept touching her. Or if she did, it was done ironically.

Yes. It was in the first episode when her and Dan were talking  about it.

One final note about Varner's thoughts. He claims the cast supports Dan and that they don't like Kellee yet since the season finale aired and the cast he been free to share their pictures I have yet to see one that includes Dan. But many that include Kelee. Here are two examples

In Kentucky visiting Elaine

EMcD_kjXUAA37CV?format=jpg&name=4096x409 

In Newport, RI hanging out With Elizabeth and Jack

EMax5ZxWwAYVqQm?format=jpg&name=medium

EMax5ZzW4AA5qhg?format=jpg&name=medium

In short, Varner (big surprise) is full of shit

Edited by LanceM
  • LOL 2
  • Love 15

It seems though that the pictures are taken before the show started airing because a) they wear summer clothes and b) Lauren's hair is still like she had it in the show and not how she had it in the reunion. So it may very well be that they had no idea of what would be shown and what exactly happened. We as viewers can't forgive Elizabeth and Missy for what they did to Kellee, do you think Kellee could forgive them and be friends with them?

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, himela said:

It seems though that the pictures are taken before the show started airing because a) they wear summer clothes and b) Lauren's hair is still like she had it in the show and not how she had it in the reunion. So it may very well be that they had no idea of what would be shown and what exactly happened. We as viewers can't forgive Elizabeth and Missy for what they did to Kellee, do you think Kellee could forgive them and be friends with them?

As a viewer I can forgiver Elizabeth and Misst for what they did in the game. I see no reason not given that the other members of the cast know them no ill will As far as Kellee goes. Elizabeth and MIssy did apologize to her on social media and Kellee did accept Elizabeth's apology and thanked her for the support. Didn't say anything about Missy's though. Although I am not 100% certain I believe they probably talked about Dan months ago, most likely at Ponderosa. We do know for 100% certainty that Janet talked to Elizabeth at Ponderosa and we do know that Janet came away from that conversation saying that any negative feelings with regards to Elizabeth were gone and washed away. She was also shown hugging Missy so I guess we can assume that was the case with her too

• Love 2

I am curious how Season 40 will play out since more than half the cast are friends. Not to mention Rob & Amber. Will that be a plus or minus for Nick Wilson (Season 37)? Wendell (Season 36) is a gamer but big in the Survivor community. It should be at least an interesting season, right?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I am curious how Season 40 will play out since more than half the cast are friends. Not to mention Rob & Amber. Will that be a plus or minus for Nick Wilson (Season 37)? Wendell (Season 36) is a gamer but big in the Survivor community. It should be at least an interesting season, right?

It will be like having members of the same family play a game, it's sure thing that some will let others win or cheat. Not interesting. Plus you never know whether they have pre-game agreements to share the money. Not interesting for me because this is not survivor when the social game doesn't matter at all. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, himela said:

Plus you never know whether they have pre-game agreements to share the money. Not interesting for me because this is not survivor when the social game doesn't matter at all.

By the Survivor rules and contract, there cannot be any agreements to share money.  The only possible exception might be Rob and Amber, because of their unique status in the game.  (Which makes me think of the BvW seasons and the couples therein, so there might be some clause already in the contract relating to this situation.)

And speaking of Rob and Amber, All-Stars proved the social game matters more in a season like this.  Him burning his pre-game friendships/alliances was his downfall and the reason she won.

• Love 4

The retrospective will most likely be heavily weighted to Jeffy's favorites, so expect a lot of Muscle Bros and a few "hot" women.  There may be a brief segment on weirdos, and another with a few token normal people.

• Love 4

Fascinating that unlike the newbie seasons, the CBS bios do not contain players' ages. Survivor Pravda's (a.k.a. Entertainment Weekly) coverage does, however.

Wonder whose idea that was.

Edited by Eolivet
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

There doesn't seem to be a "General Gabbery" topic for Season 40 that doesn't involve spoilers, so I'll just put this here and throw in some comments on the cast bios.

The players I'm most excited to see again, in no particular order:

Rob and Sandra, who are (almost) always a good time, as far as I'm concerned.

Amber, for old school reasons, plus I think she gets a bad (but I suppose understandable) rap as boring and useless, and I want to see her rise above that.

Ethan, also for old school reasons, but I also want to see if he gets a more balanced edit between "Saintly Ethan" from Africa and "Whiny, Jerk-ass Ethan" from All-Stars.

Danni, whose win is one of my favorites; love her and Gary's tag-team demolition of the majority alliance.

Parvati, who I don't particularly like, but I am curious to see how her reborn, new-age mom personality holds up when she's in the game. Her bio indicates that she's going to both use this as a source of strength and way of connecting, AND play it up to lull people into a false sense of security. Could be interesting.

My triumvirate of back to back to back no-nonsense women winners, Sophie, Kim and Denise (although based on the cast photos, Sophie and Denise have made some...interesting choices, hair-wise).

The rest I'm pretty neutral on but I don't hate that any of them are back. Except Tyson. Can't stand his alleged humor, and I could have lived a hundred years without seeing him again.

Missing Natalie White and Earl, but oh well, can't have it all.

Also I just want to say that the lighting in Nick's b&w cast photo at first made me think he was wearing a flower in his hair XD 

13 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Danni, whose win is one of my favorites; love her and Gary's tag-team demolition of the majority alliance.

I was over the moon thrilled when she won.  I also think that was the first season where I really liked someone during their previous season and highly disliked them during their return season (Stephenie LaGrossa).

I am a little shocked that nobody from her season besides Stephenie has been asked back until now.  I thought for sure Judd would have been asked back as he was a great villain for the time.

• Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 1:19 AM, BK1978 said:

I was over the moon thrilled when she won.  I also think that was the first season where I really liked someone during their previous season and highly disliked them during their return season (Stephenie LaGrossa).

I am a little shocked that nobody from her season besides Stephenie has been asked back until now.  I thought for sure Judd would have been asked back as he was a great villain for the time.

I agree about Judd and possibly Rafe. It's nice to see Danni returning but Guatemala doesn't get any love besides the times that Stephenie has returned. I loved her first season, didn't mind her second season but she had to play dirty and her third time she couldn't find her footing and James hated her.

• Love 1
On 12/24/2019 at 12:10 AM, LanceM said:

One final note about Varner's thoughts. He claims the cast supports Dan and that they don't like Kellee yet since the season finale aired and the cast he been free to share their pictures I have yet to see one that includes Dan. But many that include Kelee. Here are two examples

In Kentucky visiting Elaine

EMcD_kjXUAA37CV?format=jpg&name=4096x409 

In Newport, RI hanging out With Elizabeth and Jack

EMax5ZxWwAYVqQm?format=jpg&name=medium

EMax5ZzW4AA5qhg?format=jpg&name=medium

In short, Varner (big surprise) is full of shit

Maybe Dan is taking the pictures to avoid the backlash

• LOL 2
11 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

He picked Danni?  Damn, I hate when I have to like Probst about something.

As soon as I read that linked article, I knew somebody was going to post this reaction.  You win!  😂😂😂

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, omophagia said:

Chase Rice, who parlayed his stint as the runner-up to arguably the worst winner in Survivor history into a career as the most overtly sleazy of the "Bro-country" Bros, has apparently taken his sleaze to another reality franchise:

https://people.com/tv/bachelor-star-victoria-fuller-faces-ex-chase-rice-on-peter-weber-date/

I heard that Chase was reportedly upset that he was blindsided like that, despite knowing his ex was on the show, but didn’t think they would do this to him.  So what I want to know is how could he NOT know that this is what they would do to him?

Oh well, I guess whatever pays the bills for you.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Trying to remember all the spec from last May ... Cochran got a gig as a writer on CBS' Picard show, so I don't think he was asked. Ditto JT, and I think it was because of Game Changers.

I know Mike Holloway missed the cut (which is fine by me, since "win so they can't vote you out" isn't so much a winning strategy so much as ... they literally can't vote you out, so). Tina was I believe a late scratch due to age/illness? Earl's wife had a premature baby, I think, so he wouldn't do it. Despite speculation, I think ultimately they steered far, far away from anyone with personal issues (Hatch, Todd, Jenna). Vecepia wasn't asked, nor Chris D nor Natalie White. And it was confirmed early on that neither the 38 nor 39 winners were asked.

(Ironically, all the sturm and drang was over Boston Rob supposedly dropping out, then wanting more money, and nobody ever guessed Amber was part of it. Best scoop ever!)

If anybody remembers differently, feel free to correct me.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cochran turned them down.  And while Natalie White probably wasn't even on their radar, I doubt she would have done it, either.   

I'm also okay with Mike not being cast.  The less reminders of World's Apart, the better.  Also, he was every bit of an ass when the season started.  It was only when the tide turned on him and he became the outcast who had to win to stay in it (as you said @Eolivet, they literally couldn't vote him off).  Being in a final grouping with Dan, Will, Carolyn, and Purple Sierra.  It wasn't hard to root for the guy in those circumstances.  But he isn't someone I'd ever care to see back.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kassandra8286 said:

Someone on Sucks posted a thread on why certain winners weren't included. Since it alleges substance abuse that I have no idea as to the veracity thereof (other than Jenna and Todd whose issues are well-documented) I'll just post the link in case anyone's interested:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/survivorsucks/viewtopic.php?p=13492217#p13492217

Cochran works for CBS so is ineligible. Thank the gods.

Intereseting.  Makes sense about Cochran!

20 hours ago, omophagia said:

Chase Rice, who parlayed his stint as the runner-up to arguably the worst winner in Survivor history ...

When Bob and fucking Adam exist?!

While watching The Bachelor I knew I'd heard the name Chase Rice before but I couldn't figure out how lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

While watching The Bachelor I knew I'd heard the name Chase Rice before but I couldn't figure out how lol.

Oh, I don't know. Surfer Boy who seemed to be playing the game high is a pretty good candidate for worst winner ever.

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Ha! I said arguably, not that it was the argument I would necessarily make! Bob would be my personal choice and Adam's a bottom-tier winner for me, too, but Jud does come up in that discussion pretty regularly.

• Love 1

Very debatable how much this is media but Reality Blurred did a post encouraging people to campaign against EoE popping up on future seasons as casting for S41 begins: 

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2020/01/survivor-edge-of-extinction-future-probst-criticism/

Probst seems very set on it because he apparently likes the idea that a guy who was in the game for three days could win it. 

Edited by loki567

Jeff doesn't care what people think. Of course, if the ratings really tanked after another EoE (I don't think Season 40 will be hurt by it) then maybe CBS would care. Until then, what Jeff wants is what Jeff gets. He doesn't come off very well in the story and quotes. The quotes don't surprise me but seeing them all at once makes me realize he's gotten too big (in his head) for the job as EP. He's a great host but once he became EP it changed.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1

Because a guy winning the game playing less days than the people sitting next to him, who didn't manage to get blindsided despite being warned, and who actually had to get blood on their hands while he just got to chill with the jury that voted for him to win, makes for such great TV.  That's Probst logic!  

It'd be great if they did this in future seasons, and the jury rebelled against voting for the EOE returning player if they made the final 3, out of respect for the game, because maybe that would get the message through. 

• Love 3