Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

Because a guy winning the game playing less days than the people sitting next to him, who didn't manage to get blindsided despite being warned, and who actually had to get blood on their hands while he just got to chill with the jury that voted for him to win, makes for such great TV.  That's Probst logic!  

It'd be great if they did this in future seasons, and the jury rebelled against voting for the EOE returning player if they made the final 3, out of respect for the game, because maybe that would get the message through. 

I so want the players this season to choose not to go to the island of doom and boredom. I would love it if they all said “This sucks, nope.”

• Love 7

I can't prove this at all, but when I saw Boston Rob "building" that giant shelter for him and Sandra, I went, "hmm, I wonder if that's EoE for Survivor 40." Complete with beds and fruit and a swing or whatever it had.

The Edge of Winner's Extinction.

But I will say, in terms of that article, I absolutely believe they needed EoE for Survivor 40, and I believe there are contestants who wouldn't have done it without it. To give up your friends, family and life to Fiji, only to get voted out after three days and then be kept away from your friends, family and life with no "chance to get back in the game?" No thanks, I'd rather stay home.

I think it should be campaigned against for future seasons, but I think it was totally understandable for Survivor 40. For Andy Denhart to be outraged at that is a tad naive in my eyes.

But I appreciate him (and Josh Howard and Shannon Gaitz) still going hard at Survivor, unlike Dalton Comrade Ross at Survivor Pravda, who just barfs out anything Probst says.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Eolivet said:

I can't prove this at all, but when I saw Boston Rob "building" that giant shelter for him and Sandra, I went, "hmm, I wonder if that's EoE for Survivor 40." Complete with beds and fruit and a swing or whatever it had.

The Edge of Winner's Extinction.

But I will say, in terms of that article, I absolutely believe they needed EoE for Survivor 40, and I believe there are contestants who wouldn't have done it without it. To give up your friends, family and life to Fiji, only to get voted out after three days and then be kept away from your friends, family and life with no "chance to get back in the game?" No thanks, I'd rather stay home.

I think it should be campaigned against for future seasons, but I think it was totally understandable for Survivor 40. For Andy Denhart to be outraged at that is a tad naive in my eyes.

But I appreciate him (and Josh Howard and Shannon Gaitz) still going hard at Survivor, unlike Dalton Comrade Ross at Survivor Pravda, who just barfs out anything Probst says.

Yeah, I'm fine with it for S40.  For a season like that, and for having certain players back that haven't been back in years (some since their first season), I'm okay with it.  I think it was a smart choice as a way to keep returning players and favorites in the game.  I do believe some things could be modified if they actually decide to do this every season (for instance, when the first group of players compete to return to the game, whoever doesn't make it is out.  No returning to EOE for a second shot).  

Your logic for the shelter that production Rob built might actually make sense.  Since Chris played provider and tried to make friends that way, maybe this is a way around that in the future?  Give them the luxuries of the Haves camp of the original Survivor Fiji while still technically in the game, that way someone can't last less than 10 days in the game and still say "I fed you."

And, like you, I'm also glad that former mouth pieces for Probst are turning against him and the show and saying what they probably have always wanted to, but didn't want to rock the boat and lose access to the show.  Dalton was probably always one of the worst ones, so no surprise he's still attached to Probst's behind.

• Love 1

I have to say I would have loved to see Hatch on.  And I agree with what he said.  If he can't be on because of nakedness and Dan, why is Probst still around after asking two contestants to take their clothes off for peanut butter? 

• Love 3

I am sorry. Richard continues to miss the point. There is a difference between nudity and sexual harassment. If I remember correctly, Richard bragged that he knew his nudity would be uncomfortable for some people and intentionally played that challenge nude because he knew rubbing against people would be uncomfortable. And it was. And Sue was upset that she was put in a position where she had no choice but to rub against him when she didn't want to.

Naked, whatever. Forcing people to touch your naked body to participate in a competition, wrong. Jeff should have made him put on clothes but Jeff should not have been in that position because Richard, a grown ass man, knew what he was doing.

Richard intended to make people uncomfortable and he did. And he was wrong.

And Jeff was wrong to encourage Jenna and Heidi to strip for peanut butter. Jeff was in the wrong then. Jeff has been in the wrong many, many times. I believe most people on this site have said that Jeff has been wrong for ages.

The difference between Richard and Dan is that Dan targeted a few individuals. Richard was happy to make everyone uncomfortable. 

• Love 10

But as Richard pointed out, the producers could have told him to put clothes on.   They could bring him back and say must wear clothes.  Lots of misdoings on Survivor known and unknown, why should he be singled out?  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

And Jeff didn't ask Heidi and Jenna to strip for peanut butter. They could have had the peanut butter by simply quitting the challenge. They offered to take off their clothes for it when it was completely unnecessary, and they knew it was unnecessary. Trying to equate two women's voluntary nudity with another woman's sexual assault is disgusting.

Thank you!  People seem to keep forgetting that this was Heidi and Jenna's idea, and was completely unnecessary.  It was all to get attention.

Didn't they participate in a Playboy nude photo shoot later?

• Love 13
4 hours ago, marys1000 said:

But as Richard pointed out, the producers could have told him to put clothes on.   They could bring him back and say must wear clothes.  Lots of misdoings on Survivor known and unknown, why should he be singled out?  

Why does a grown ass adult need to be told to put his clothes on?

He doesn’t.

Wandering around camp nude is borderline, nudity is uncommon and uncomfortable for people. I don’t want to see a mans penis or butt if they are not my husband or young child. If I choose to go to a nudist camp or nude beach, that is on me. But wandering around camp? Nope. 

But nude during a challenge when you know you are going to be touching people is forcing people into an unacceptable position and is harassment

yes, Production could have told him to put on clothes but they shouldn’t have to. Just like Production should have told Dan to stop touching people but they shouldn’t have to.

Richard can bullshit around all he wants but he was wrong. 

3 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

I just think that he's tainted. Why bring someone back that has that much baggage, especially after just completing the season that we saw? He's just not high on my list of people I want to see again.

He is tainted by his behavior and he pissed CBS off with the tax crap. He tried to blame that on them. 

• Love 18
9 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Oh and in terms of game, LOL at Hatch's, "what would the original innovator, who played this game and set the precedent, do now? I guess we'll never know." Well, we know what you'd do because we saw it on All-Stars. You'd smuggle matches up your ass, put your junk on display, assault a tribemate, and get voted out before the merge. Not having him on season 40 is hardly the loss he thinks it is.

I will say it's too bad the first ever winner isn't back, especially because Rich really did have an understanding of the game before anyone else really realized what the game was about.  I do give him credit for sort of carving the path in the early seasons of the show.  That said.,.when I got to that part of the video I had to quit watching.  It was hard enough getting that far.

In saying that, I don't entirely disagree with him with production and contestants (for camera time) doing what they have to do or is suggested of them.  I know through the years, contestants have said that they were asked by the camera man to repeat something, say something a certain way, or whatever.  That said, he really has a distorted view of the Sue incident and why people are upset.  He just doesn't get it.

And I totally forgot about Mr. Integrity to the Game smuggling matches up his behind during All-Stars.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

As bad as his on camera behaviour was (and it was bad), he spent a few years in prison for tax evasion which would disqualify him even if the rest hadn’t happened.   CBS wouldn’t want a convicted felon on their show.  

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

As bad as his on camera behaviour was (and it was bad), he spent a few years in prison for tax evasion which would disqualify him even if the rest hadn’t happened.   CBS wouldn’t want a convicted felon on their show.  

He already appeared on the show with all of that either in play or having served his prison time. There really was no way to not include him for the first All Stars.

As for carving a path, someone would have figured out alliances pretty quickly in the first season. Richard was a bit faster with that analysis and with looking at peoples preferences and figuring out how to play them. That said, CBS cast a bunch of people who were more interested in the adventure and experience then the game. And that made sense, this was the first season. No one knew what the game was, the type of folks you can convince to go out and play something like this are going to be more up for adventure or an experience and take the risk of going. So finding one player who understood strategy better then others is not a surprise.

You very quickly see the strategic play ramp up once people have seen the show. You lose the large percentage of folks who are there to hang out and enjoy the adventure fast. I am not so sure that Richard wins any season but the first season. He doesn't have a social game and he is just clueless about how to interact with most people.

Today he is more invested in arguing that his being gay is an issue, he implies that in his video above. He thinks that he is a big personality who is simply loud and doesn't seem to see how intentionally making people uncomfortable by being nude is very different then Tony and llama talk or Coach with his ridiculous stories.

He is far to invested in being the Survivor Godfather and has no clue that he would get smoked in every season. I am not certain that he would even be seen as a threat next to Yul or Kim or even Boston Rob.

I almost want him on the season so I could laugh my ass off at his inept game play.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

As for carving a path, someone would have figured out alliances pretty quickly in the first season.

And someone did figure it out in season 1, besides Rich-Joel, who was on the Pagong tribe.  He tried rallying his tribe for the merge to form an alliance so they wouldn’t get picked off (allegedly, Joel found out about the Tagi alliance from production, but it seemed like even without that info he still thought an alliance was a good idea).  His Pagong tribe members were still in the mind set that this was about survival game play, not strategic, and voting for who you wanted.

• Love 2
On 2/4/2020 at 9:06 AM, marys1000 said:

I'm conflicted about Richard Hatch.

Both the tax-evation piece and going nude without peer approval are a bit ugly.  Back in the day going nude didn't seem to be a big deal, but everyone is so politically correct now-a-days that it would never fly.  And reasonable people should know and not have to be told.

On the other hand, I am conflicted about Jeff Probst, too.   I think odds are good Jeff Probst often yanks the casting peoples' chains to his own liking - and without consideration for those in contention to play.  For Richard and Tina to make it as far as they did only to get cut sours my grapes a great deal.

In the end, I think I would like to have seen Richard play the game with other winners.  Tina, too. 

Caveat - I know nothing about what Richard supposedly did to Sue.  If I knew more about that - and what is actually true - I might feel differently.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

He is far to invested in being the Survivor Godfather and has no clue that he would get smoked in every season. I am not certain that he would even be seen as a threat next to Yul or Kim or even Boston Rob.

In the All Stars season he was voted out fairly early.  I don't think he would be seen as a threat to anyone.  No social game, as someone mentioned above.

11 minutes ago, Jextella said:

Caveat - I know nothing about what Richard supposedly did to Sue.  If I knew more about that - and what is actually true - I might feel differently.

He rubbed his naked genitals against her during a challenge.

• Love 2

It was so tough to watch Sue come to grips with the actuality of it over the next day or so. And people like Kathy were just horrible to her about it.

EDIT: Will there be a separate thread for the retrospective tonight?

Edited by tvgoddess
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Jextella said:

I'm conflicted about Richard Hatch.

Both the tax-evation piece and going nude without peer approval are a bit ugly.  Back in the day going nude didn't seem to be a big deal, but everyone is so politically correct now-a-days that it would never fly.  And reasonable people should know and not have to be told.

On the other hand, I am conflicted about Jeff Probst, too.   I think odds are good Jeff Probst often yanks the casting peoples' chains to his own liking - and without consideration for those in contention to play.  For Richard and Tina to make it as far as they did only to get cut sours my grapes a great deal.

In the end, I think I would like to have seen Richard play the game with other winners.  Tina, too. 

Yeah, I think I’m in the middle.  I think Hatch is full of a lot of hot air (and still has a very overinflated opinion of himself and his game play), but I don’t necessarily disagree with his take on production or Probst, either.  Also, since it was rumored Rob didn’t sign on until the last minute (which many think had to do with Amber), I wonder if Tina ended up getting bounced for her?  I do agree it sucks, though.  People give things up and put their life on hold believing they are going to be on (and being told that), and then at the last minute are bounced.  I remember hearing Kelly Goldsmith turned down a job opportunity to be on HvsV, and then was replaced at the last minute.

• Love 3

Probst was clearly complicit in the whole peanut butter debacle.  Sure the first offer was "i'll take my clothes off for peanut butter".  Probst easily could have just let the joke pass. But he waved the plate around, here are the pb and cooookies, lauged about it, said and you aren't even trying to tempt these guys off their posts as they stripped blah blah blah.  No one told them to take their bottoms off.  

Seen as a big old joke, nothign wrong with it.  Only becomes a problem if someone complains, Sue, re Dan.   

So I guess you guys are saying that if Sue didn't have a problem with a little peenie swipe as they crossed paths it would have been ok?  Its only a problem if she complained?  

And you don't believe Hatch was asked back and yanked at the last minute and he was lying?  

I have no illusions about the show.  There is lots we don't see and lots of manipulation and who knows what on the part of the players, rumors of sex blah blah blah.  
I think Hatch was entertaining and smart.  Not the nicest guy in real life?  Probably. 

Don't think his sins are so egregious that the first winner should be part of the first all winners.  

For me, Hatch's sins are egregious enough that I never wanna see him play again. He tried to get out of paying taxes and then tried to blame it on someone else. And then he fucking sexually assaults someone on camera and once again doesn't take any responsibility for his own actions. He's honestly a piece of shit in my mind.

Also, his game play isn't interesting to me and I've already seen him play again anyway so meh I don't give one shit that he's not there again.

• Love 16
16 hours ago, marys1000 said:

Probst was clearly complicit in the whole peanut butter debacle.  Sure the first offer was "i'll take my clothes off for peanut butter".  Probst easily could have just let the joke pass. But he waved the plate around, here are the pb and cooookies, lauged about it, said and you aren't even trying to tempt these guys off their posts as they stripped blah blah blah.  No one told them to take their bottoms off.  

Seen as a big old joke, nothign wrong with it.  Only becomes a problem if someone complains, Sue, re Dan.   

So I guess you guys are saying that if Sue didn't have a problem with a little peenie swipe as they crossed paths it would have been ok?  Its only a problem if she complained?  

And you don't believe Hatch was asked back and yanked at the last minute and he was lying?  

I have no illusions about the show.  There is lots we don't see and lots of manipulation and who knows what on the part of the players, rumors of sex blah blah blah.  
I think Hatch was entertaining and smart.  Not the nicest guy in real life?  Probably. 

Don't think his sins are so egregious that the first winner should be part of the first all winners.  

How many people have let Jeff or Production slide on much of anything? I think most of the posts I have read have complained about Jeff and Production and how they have handled cases historically as well as last season.

As for the point on Sue. What I am comfortable with is different then what you are comfortable with is different then what someone else is comfortable with. We saw that last season. Kellee told Dan she was not comfortable, repeatedly, and told him to stop. Lauren interviewed that she told Dan to stop and he did. Missy was not comfortable with Dan but not so uncomfortable that she was willing to say much, although she did complain, on film, in conversations with several different people. Different people, different comfort levels, different responses. Dan's problem is that when someone said stop, he didn't.

Sue was uncomfortable. I don't rewatch seasons so I don't remember the exact scenario but I believe Sue complained. Richard didn't just "little peenie swipe" when Sue went past him. I don't care that Kathy thought what happened was fine or if Production thought it was fine, Sue didn't. Sue said something. If Sue didn't have a problem with it then what happened would be fine, although it would be far outside my comfort zone.

The problem for Richard and Dan is that someone did say something. Production was wrong because it never should have gotten to that point. Richard should have had to wear clothes, although why a grown ass man has to be told that, I don't know. Dan should have been told to keep his hands to himself on day 2. Both should have been removed as soon as they violated those dictates. But two wrongs, or in this case far more then 2 wrongs, does not make a right.

I think Richard and Dan should never appear on TV again. I think that they both need for people to stop treating them as if what they did was no big deal. I think they both need to stop blaming other people. Yes, Jeff's behavior has been gross. His slobbering over the Alpha men and ignoring the women has long been documented. His role in Heidi and Jenna's action. Ignoring past instances of sexual harassment and assault. But that does not serve to cover for Dan and Richard. It does demonstrate that if you make enough money and have enough authority you get more leeway then others, which is also a part of the problem.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Jeff is really influenced by his Hollywood “friends” such as Tyler Perry, Jimmy Fallon and Mike White. He could give a rats ass what the fans want. He always says the show is for the fans but I don’t think he’s ever really cared (since he became EP) what the fans want or say. 

• Love 4

Hmm.  Considering how many people raved on and on about how the only good part of last season was Sandra and Rob hiding in that hut and commenting on everything, I thought it might interest people here that Jimmy came up with it.

I don't even particularly like that idea, but I do like Jimmy, personally.

I kind of think that an all Winners season for the 40th anniversary is exactly what the fans would want.  It's exactly what I want as a fan.  I would think that real fans of the show would want to see Yul, Kim, etc. I'm very bad with names all of the winners that we haven't seen in ages.  How could that not interest people to see all those people battling each other, especially a double winner in Sandra.  And some winners like Boston Rob are fan favourites, so…. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Hmm.  Considering how many people raved on and on about how the only good part of last season was Sandra and Rob hiding in that hut and commenting on everything, I thought it might interest people here that Jimmy came up with it.

I don't even particularly like that idea, but I do like Jimmy, personally.

I kind of think that an all Winners season for the 40th anniversary is exactly what the fans would want.  It's exactly what I want as a fan.  I would think that real fans of the show would want to see Yul, Kim, etc. I'm very bad with names all of the winners that we haven't seen in ages.  How could that not interest people to see all those people battling each other, especially a double winner in Sandra.  And some winners like Boston Rob are fan favourites, so…. 

I like the idea of a few seasons with top 5 or 6 players.    There is so much luck involved with Survivor these days (e.g. fire making even though an unfortunate breeze can come through eliminating the ability of one to advance through no fault of his/her own; surprise twists that players can't in a million years plan for because they don't know about them, e.g. Idol Nullifier).  Winners are often winners by luck and many from the top 5 or 6 would be just as skilled as many of the winners.

I also think it would be really fun to put Survivor podcasters on the island (including past players who have turned to podcasting) - to see what they can do.  That would be hysterical.

Edited by Jextella
On 2/5/2020 at 4:44 PM, LadyChatts said:

Yeah, I think I’m in the middle.  I think Hatch is full of a lot of hot air (and still has a very overinflated opinion of himself and his game play), but I don’t necessarily disagree with his take on production or Probst, either.  Also, since it was rumored Rob didn’t sign on until the last minute (which many think had to do with Amber), I wonder if Tina ended up getting bounced for her?  I do agree it sucks, though.  People give things up and put their life on hold believing they are going to be on (and being told that), and then at the last minute are bounced.  I remember hearing Kelly Goldsmith turned down a job opportunity to be on HvsV, and then was replaced at the last minute.

Minor quibble, but Kelly turned down HvV because she had just gotten a teaching job at a prestigious school. She said on a Podcast that she didn’t know the format, but that it turned out to be a good thing she declined considering what tribe she’d be on. They also asked her about Blood v Water, but her husband had some medical issues and couldn’t join her. 

It was All Stars that she was locked in for and quit her job: Production was 99% sure Shii Ann would back out over the contract or Jenna would back out because of her mother. Neither did, and Kelly was told that morning. Seems like they actually felt bad, and offered her a job in casting for Vanuatu. 

Kelly was my first ever Reality TV idol and I hope she comes back someday!

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

if you want to watch 22 minutes of Richard blaming Sue and Jeff. I made it 11 minutes.

I did appreciate his defense that if he was going to sexually harass anyone it would be a guy because he is gay. That got a chuckle.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I did appreciate his defense that if he was going to sexually harass anyone it would be a guy because he is gay. That got a chuckle.

A gay guy I barely knew grabbed my boob in a picture because he was trying to be funny and didn't think anything of it. I was drinking so I didn't really even know until I looked at the picture later. Gross. Shut it, Richard.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

if you want to watch 22 minutes of Richard blaming Sue and Jeff. I made it 11 minutes.

I'm remembering now that you sacrificed yourself for the rest of us and listened to a two-hour Dan Foley podcast, so the fact that you can't get through 22 minutes of Hatch shows how gross he is.

I'm not even going to try to watch that; watching that other video that was recently posted was more than enough. Why is this idiot trying to relitigate this shit now? There is videotape of him assaulting Sue. There were witnesses to him assaulting Sue. The fact that he can lie about it and fools will go, "oh, two sides to every story!" is nothing new under the sun. More to the point, Richard Hatch is an irrelevant speck. His fifteen minutes were over at least fifteen years ago, and he hasn't caught on yet.

• Love 12

I got past the “it was editing.” And to the part about Sue being mentally unstable when I stopped. According to Richard, Sue got past him without touching him, cam back down the balance beam, grabbed his hips (assaulting him), and that is when contact was made. Richard didn’t know how upset Sue was until CBS flew him out and he sat, with his husband, to watch the episode with Sue, her lawyer, Probst, and a lawyer for CBS before the episode aired.

He also tried to brush over the fact that his being naked was intentional and an attempt at making people comfortable. He was clear that he played by the rules, which didn’t require he wear clothes. He ignored the smuggling matches up his butt thing when saying he played by the rules.

He is the victim and CBS is bad and Sue is unstable.  There is only so much bullshit I can take.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

According to Richard, Sue got past him without touching him, cam back down the balance beam, grabbed his hips (assaulting him), and that is when contact was made.

What a sociopath. If he's going to lie about it, he's got to come up with something that's at least consistent with what we saw on the show. In order for his version to be true, that would mean that what we saw in the episode was 100% CGI.

• Love 7
On 2/7/2020 at 7:38 AM, Oholibamah said:

Minor quibble, but Kelly turned down HvV because she had just gotten a teaching job at a prestigious school. She said on a Podcast that she didn’t know the format, but that it turned out to be a good thing she declined considering what tribe she’d be on. They also asked her about Blood v Water, but her husband had some medical issues and couldn’t join her. 

It was All Stars that she was locked in for and quit her job: Production was 99% sure Shii Ann would back out over the contract or Jenna would back out because of her mother. Neither did, and Kelly was told that morning. Seems like they actually felt bad, and offered her a job in casting for Vanuatu. 

Kelly was my first ever Reality TV idol and I hope she comes back someday!

Oh, I thought it was HvsV she gave her job up for.  Guess I got my seasons mixed up, because I know she was in consideration for AS.  I don't want to sound cold-hearted, but at the time I was kind of annoyed that Jenna went out there again, with her mom being as sick as she was, just to end up quitting, when that spot could have gone to someone else.  But I did genuinely feel bad for her, and I think her mom actually went downhill much faster than expected after Jenna had already left to start filming (I might be wrong on that, it's been so long).  But, in addition to Kelly, Neleh (another one of my all time favorite players), was considered for that season but ultimately passed over as well.  However, considering how AS actually went, and the thought of Kelly getting in the cross hairs of Lex and his never-wrong gut instinct again...I'm kind of glad she wasn't associated with that shit show of a season.

I loved Kelly her first time around, and really hope she gets a chance to play again some day.  I wish they'd give more love to the old schoolers on this show.  I know there are plenty of Survivors I don't need to see play a 4th or 5th time, and some of the newbie castaways I'd gladly not see return in favor of the pre HvsV crowd.  

• Love 2
17 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Richard didn’t know how upset Sue was until CBS flew him out and he sat, with his husband, to watch the episode with Sue, her lawyer, Probst, and a lawyer for CBS before the episode aired.

This is probably the only part I can buy. As I recall, at the time of the challenge, Sue just kind of yelled at him to knock it off because she was focused on finishing the challenge, and then later, when she had nothing to do but sit around and think about it, is when what happened really started to sink in and she became upset. Richard was on the other tribe and wouldn't have seen any of that, and he was voted off by the time the tribes met again.

The rest of it though? Bull. He's either lying or has convinced himself that his version is true. Typical of giant egotists.

Edited by tracyscott76
8 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

But, in addition to Kelly, Neleh (another one of my all time favorite players), was considered for that season but ultimately passed over as well. 

I just finished Marquesas and hadn't really watched the second half since it aired. I really liked her the first time around, but now she just grated on my nerves severely with her Bible thumping schtick. I actually had completely forgotten how religious both her and Vecepia were, and it just completely turned me off.

5 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

This is probably the only part I can buy. As I recall, at the time of the challenge, Sue just kind of yelled at him to knock it off because she was focused on finishing the challenge, and then later, when she had nothing to do but sit around and think about it, is when what happened really started to sink in and she became upset. Richard was on the other tribe and wouldn't have seen any of that, and he was voted off by the time the tribes met again.

The rest of it though? Bull. He's either lying or has convinced himself that his version is true. Typical of giant egotists.

I don’t buy it. There is no way that the others did not tell him about Sue’s melt down.

59 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I don’t buy it. There is no way that the others did not tell him about Sue’s melt down.

Well maybe he meant the first time he heard it from her first hand, as opposed to from other people. I'll yield the point though, because you watched it and I didn't, and I've already given him more consideration than I really wanted to.

I can (sort of) buy it.  He may have believed she had a melt down, but probably didn't think it was as bad or serious as it was.  In some Survivor special I watched years ago, they re-played that moment, and Jenna Lewis said she was trying not to laugh during it because she thought Sue was just being over dramatic.  It probably brought back memories to her, as she and Sue were on the same season, and Sue gave the over dramatic and infamous rat and snakes speech.  I think how things were viewed then were very different how they are viewed now.    Even if people were disgusted and repulsed and knew it was wrong, it was just another moment for a reality show.  In addition, reality TV is all about reputation, and Sue definitely had one as a bitter betty character.  It could also be she wasn't necessarily viewed favorably by her fellow cast mates.

Also, in regards to Hatch, didn't he get naked for every challenge?  I remember him not wasting a second in the first IC stripping down.  It's quite possible it made people uncomfortable, but who was going to speak up?  Hatch basically was Survivor back then, and people may not have wanted to ruffle any feathers with productions.  I think nowadays it would be handled differently.  I also don't think anyone has purposely gotten naked in a challenge since then, but I might be wrong.  

In the end, I think Hatch just doesn't get it.  And who knows, after all this time he may actually believe his version of events since he's told himself the same story so many times.  I will again say I don't think production is 100% innocent in a lot of cases like this, but ultimately the responsibility falls on the castaway to read the room.  Hatch got naked because it was such a part of his character arc during the first season.         

• Love 2

In some of the "you are stranded with barely any clothes" seasons men would do some of their challenges naked, stripping halfway through.  There was a wrestling challenge in one of the seasons where one of the tribes men stripped down (but that was male vs male, not male vs female.)   There were also a couple challenges where women pulled eachother's tops off during the challenge.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, meatball77 said:

In some of the "you are stranded with barely any clothes" seasons men would do some of their challenges naked, stripping halfway through.  There was a wrestling challenge in one of the seasons where one of the tribes men stripped down (but that was male vs male, not male vs female.)   There were also a couple challenges where women pulled eachother's tops off during the challenge.

I normally complain about top pulling and any of the wrestling contests. I don’t need to see penis and breast on a family show. There is a time and place for nudity but Survivor is not that place.

that is one persons opinion.

• Love 4

https://ew.com/tv/2020/02/09/survivor-jeff-probst-winners-at-war-40-intros/

If you'd like to see how Jeff has rung in the past seasons of Survivor (though I advise muting the video if you didn’t want to hear "39/42 days, 16/18/20 people, 1 Survivor" 40 times).  I will say I miss Jeff's snazzy entrances to the start of the season (as well as the finale/reunion show).

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I can (sort of) buy it.  He may have believed she had a melt down, but probably didn't think it was as bad or serious as it was.  In some Survivor special I watched years ago, they re-played that moment, and Jenna Lewis said she was trying not to laugh during it because she thought Sue was just being over dramatic.  It probably brought back memories to her, as she and Sue were on the same season, and Sue gave the over dramatic and infamous rat and snakes speech.

I remember thinking "that is the worst acting I have ever seen" as Sue lay on the beach and bellowed.  Not excusing the behavior but I do wonder if she was really bothered or just making tv.  

• Love 3

They have been playing those commercials to hype the show which features the annoying singing of I assume Sia.  At the end of the commercial they will say so and so (whomever is the featured contestant of the commercial) is ready for war.  Has each contestant gotten their own commercial or is it just the big ones?

So far I saw Rob, Amber, Yul, Sandra, Ethan, and Parvati.  Are they the only ones to be featured in those commercials or are the other contestants featured as well?

There was some preview party last night in LA and several of the 40 cast was there. I'm not sure how it's determined by TPTB on who goes or not. It was Ethan, Parvati, Sandra, Sophie, Wendell, Rob & Amber. There are pictures of them having lunch and then at the preview party with Jeff. Is one of them a first boot? Is one of them the winner? Is it just assumed that Rob & Sandra would go to continue on from Season 39? We'll find out soon enough. Just one more day. I'm soooooo excited. I'm also a Survivor geek. LOL!!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

There was some preview party last night in LA and several of the 40 cast was there. I'm not sure how it's determined by TPTB on who goes or not. It was Ethan, Parvati, Sandra, Sophie, Wendell, Rob & Amber. There are pictures of them having lunch and then at the preview party with Jeff. Is one of them a first boot? Is one of them the winner? Is it just assumed that Rob & Sandra would go to continue on from Season 39? We'll find out soon enough. Just one more day. I'm soooooo excited. I'm also a Survivor geek. LOL!!!

Who attended could have partly been an availability issue. Not everyone can drop everything and go to LA for a Monday night party which would also, depending on where they're from, cut into Tuesday morning.

6 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Who attended could have partly been an availability issue. Not everyone can drop everything and go to LA for a Monday night party which would also, depending on where they're from, cut into Tuesday morning.

Yea this. It was probably limited to those who were already in LA tbh, which probably cuts out a lot of the cast. I'm sure TPTB were happy that a lot of the people they personally love and push were able to attend though lol.

• Love 1

Looks like there was a motley assortment of non-winners there, too, like Ozzy, Hannah, and Andrea (covering it as part of her job with People).

Edited by tracyscott76

Cesternino was also in attendance, and he did an interview with Peachy on the red carpet.

As part of that interview, Peachy said that he'd finally heard the fans saying they didn't like the EoE concept, even though he was a big fan of it and wanted it to become a more frequent part of the game.  So it's going to be shelved for a while, and maybe retooled some.

• Love 4