Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, Nashville said:

This one is actually one of my favorites - if for no other reason than the image of (presumably) Peachy’s wife standing in the door to Probst’s set (aka the garage) and asking, “WHERE IS OUR CAR?”  😆

Hahaha I missed that detail!

33 minutes ago, Nashville said:

This one is actually one of my favorites - if for no other reason than the image of (presumably) Peachy’s wife standing in the door to Probst’s set (aka the garage) and asking, “WHERE IS OUR CAR?”  😆

I liked the bike hanging in the background.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, Nashville said:

Thank you for explaining this because I could not figure out who that was supposed to be or what it was supposed to mean lol!

I think I hate like half of that Sequester cast. I'm probably still gonna watch it though lol.

• Love 2
On 5/15/2020 at 1:34 AM, Lantern7 said:

n case you didn't know, Survivor still has their stuff auctioned off for charity at the end of a season. Lots of props ranging from incidental to highly-featured. Right now, the item with the lowest bid is the Metal Grabber Piece ($89), followed by Rope Netting ($102.50) and Ceramic Jug 1 ($103.50). Those three items were set design props, and they don't have Probst's signature involved. Apparently, he's the only one signing stuff.

The items getting the highest bids so far? Well, there's the Immunity Idol that I said was mailed in by the arts department ($7,900; turns out the "eyes" were Fire Tokens), followed by Rob's Torch ($6,100; seriously, how often was that used on the show?) and the Immunity Necklace ($4,050). And if you're into gauging player popularity, here are the individual torches, sorted from highest to lowest bids.

I wonder if the fleur de lys on Jeff's podium is up for auction (that Adam thought was an idol).

• LOL 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I wonder if the fleur de lys on Jeff's podium is up for auction (that Adam thought was an idol).

I like to think Adam got the podium,

Rob's torch has gone up to $10,300, surpassed only by the Immunity Necklace ($10,600). They are followed by the Immunity Idol ($8K) and Tony's torch ($5,850).

Edited by Lantern7
(edited)

In case you didn't hear, CBS has slated Survivor for Wednesday nights at 8 p.m. this fall. I'm thinking they're being really optimistic. When The Amazing Race got moved from starting in mid-May (tonight, in fact) to the traditional fall season, I thought that it would be filling in for Survivor, and that we'd get S41 in Winter 2021. Basically, they're banking on Survivor being able to film within the next few months. Even if the infrastructure is already there, I can't see production people being eager to potentially get sick filming the show.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm wondering if they will find a way to film Survivor but it will be unlike anything we've seen with the show before.  Maybe this will be a trial run to see how a drastically new format of the show would go over with fans.  And if people don't like it, then they can say it was a one off because of the COVID.  Jeff sounded kind of determined at the end of S40 that they were going to go ahead with S41 for the fall.  

• Love 1
On 5/16/2020 at 2:29 PM, Lady Calypso said:

The cast for the Sequester Mini: Survivor Edition:

I knew everyone on that list but Chelsea.  I have no memory of her at all.

3 hours ago, BK1978 said:

I knew everyone on that list but Chelsea.  I have no memory of her at all.

Early boot on Island of the Idols. Got tagged with the "showmance" label with Dean, though apparently that was false, but they got rid of her to break up the supposed pair. Another example of that season setting us up for the women to be successful only to pull the rug out (she found an idol and they specifically showed her starting a fire, and then: gone).

5 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I'm wondering if they will find a way to film Survivor but it will be unlike anything we've seen with the show before.  Maybe this will be a trial run to see how a drastically new format of the show would go over with fans.  And if people don't like it, then they can say it was a one off because of the COVID.  Jeff sounded kind of determined at the end of S40 that they were going to go ahead with S41 for the fall.  

Maybe it will be like Big Brother, a real-time Survivor in which the episode is made from what was filmed the previous week.  That would be interesting because you couldn't make predictions on the winner based on edits because the editors wouldn't know who the winner is.

Since there is tribal council roughly every 3 days there'd be about two episodes of material each week.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Jeff sounded kind of determined at the end of S40 that they were going to go ahead with S41 for the fall.  

But in the same breath, he said, "400 crew members." Four. Hundred. They can't quarantine all those people. They can't quarantine a fraction of those people. LA County is shut down til August, U.S. Canadian borders are closed, there's a level 4 State Department advisory against International Travel. Where do they go for this fictitious filming?

Maybe they'd be trying to film something quickly in the fall, after LA County (presumably) lifts the stay-at-home order, to rush something onscreen by November/December, and hope the second wave is delayed enough for them to finish production before everything is shut down again?

But a few epidemiologists are predicting a late summer resurgence, so I honestly think this was Jeff trying to put on a brave face and say, "We're sending Survivor to the farm this year, it'll be great, it's gonna love the farm," when we all know what that means.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

But in the same breath, he said, "400 crew members." Four. Hundred. They can't quarantine all those people. They can't quarantine a fraction of those people. LA County is shut down til August, U.S. Canadian borders are closed, there's a level 4 State Department advisory against International Travel. Where do they go for this fictitious filming?

Maybe they'd be trying to film something quickly in the fall, after LA County (presumably) lifts the stay-at-home order, to rush something onscreen by November/December, and hope the second wave is delayed enough for them to finish production before everything is shut down again?

But a few epidemiologists are predicting a late summer resurgence, so I honestly think this was Jeff trying to put on a brave face and say, "We're sending Survivor to the farm this year, it'll be great, it's gonna love the farm," when we all know what that means.

Well, Survivor is on the fall schedule for CBS (which will 100% change anyway) so Jeff isn't the only one hopeful for production to start up in the next two months. 

They 100% won't be flying anywhere to film season 41. It will have to be filmed in the States, which I believe would be a first for the show (but it makes sense if they're asking for 16 year olds to apply if they're filming in-country). And I think it'll be a bad idea because you know they're going to try some stuff that won't sit well with the audience (like family edition seasons, similar to The Amazing Race), all to just get a season out? 

Filming something just to get it out is a terrible reason, in my opinion. It'll make season 41 look sloppy and bad. They'd need to have a solid plan in place AND a good reason to do it that's not "Well, we wanna come baaaaack for the fall/January!"

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Maybe it will be like Big Brother, a real-time Survivor in which the episode is made from what was filmed the previous week.  That would be interesting because you couldn't make predictions on the winner based on edits because the editors wouldn't know who the winner is.

Since there is tribal council roughly every 3 days there'd be about two episodes of material each week.

This is what I'm wondering.  As I said, it may be a very scaled down, different type of Survivor, but if they wanted to try something new, now would be the time.  Who knows, maybe they'll just fix the Big Brother house up and film from there, since it doesn't look like we'll be getting Big Brother this year.  And use returning players, which would probably make it easier on casting.  And Jeff could do a Julie Chen and broadcast TC live from the TV in the living room (and I'm being serious when I say all of this).  They may try to film something that requires very limited crew and very little in person interaction with the cast.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
On 5/15/2020 at 2:36 PM, seacliffsal said:

As for where to hold Survivor if they can't get back to Fiji-well, I say what about Catalina?  Yes, I'm being silly, but it would cut down on production costs...

I had the same thought, LOL. Survivor: Avalon would be hilarious. Especially since the strips of "beach" are like 30 feet by 12 feet. Every challenge would involve breaking tiles and the golf cart race down Crescent Ave. would be epic.

Sequester's lineup is certainly a dog's breakfast. Fuckin' Fairplay. Fuckin' Wardog, No Other Name. J'Tia. If I watch, it'll strictly be for Peih-Gee, Wentworth, and Devens.

I’ll be interested to see/hear in late June/July what the decision and/or spoilers about what is planned. I think the fall schedule for Survivor is a placeholder because I really don’t think they’ll be back in September or October. Of course, if they do film somewhere “local” they might be able to do 39 days, film and edit for September. I just hope they they don’t rush just to have anything and call it Survivor. Maybe, fans wouldn’t care if it’s cast right but I don’t want crap just so Jeff can say we’re back. 

On 5/14/2020 at 7:49 PM, LadyChatts said:

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-ben-driebergen-finale-winners-at-war-interview/

Ben's logic on his move he made last night with Sarah:

And what his deal was with Jeremy:

Just when I thought I was over this season I had to come back and read this.  It just makes me sick for Ben.  All the popularity tokens going to other people while the disadvantages focused on him -- it's like legalized bullying.  I can easily picture Jeremy using his expert facial expressions to disparage Ben to the jury, so I understand why Ben was mad at him, but at least, Jeremy was playing the game, while the token's were the game playing the people. 

Survivor has always been a popularity contest, but it was one we could watch play out from start to finish.  Everyone started on an even field, and we saw the reasons why certain people were disliked, even if they were reasons with which  we disagreed.  This time the cliques were already formed before the game started, plus lots of important "issues" between players weren't even shown.  I guess so that we could have more room for EoE and long tedious challenges at both camps.

Shut-up Jeff, this was the worst season ever.

• Love 7

Thanks for sharing the Ben article. I can't lie, I really judged him, & now, I realize that it was probably unfair. I've never played the game, & I can't imagine the mental toll that it takes on a person, & to find out deep into the game that the jury doesn't like or respect you, which is obvious from the disadvantages, it'd probably really screw with a person's psyche. The show really should've shown Jeremy doing that on the first night, because, when I see a white country boy intensely disliking a charming, affable African American dude, for seemingly no reason, I tend to take the side of the AA guy, without much info, except surface info. Jeremy is one of my all-time favorites, & he always will be, but I judge Ben a smidge less after the article. 

I've said this before, but this season was more about the players than the game, at our house, anyway, so I think EOE worked. Otherwise, we wouldn't have seen most of my favorites ~ Ethan, Yul, Rob, Jeremy, Natalie, Denise ~ much, & I tuned in to watch them. However, in general, I don't like it, & I really don't like the people being able to influence the game, once voted off, & then coming back into the game.

I'd still like to see a real, old school game, return. Back when Ethan won, since he was the oldest winner, from season 3, you had to hustle & play the game. There was no hidden immunity idol, no EOE dis/advantages, minimal food & shelter, it was strategy & teamwork. It was a purer game, & to me, that's why I'll always think the old school players are better than the Tonys & beyond. There's such a luck component now, much more so than in the olden days, I just prefer the old school style. I know others love the advantages & idols, but I don't care for them. 

• Love 8

Reddit post with the Torch Auction stats after 10 days.

Main range is from $1.6K for Wendell's, to $6.2K for Tony's.  With B-Rob's the outlier at the top at $15K.

But then again, it's a little hard to outbid Peachy.

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Sequester replay:

This was so much fun to watch. There was a lot of great moments, and honestly, it's worth it JUST to watch the F2 jury questioning. But most of it was great. There were some lulls in the game (the Mafia/Detective and Killer mini game round, for example). But this game was a lot of fun to watch.

Highlights? Karishma KILLED it. She may not have done well on Survivor, but she did fantastic in Sequester Survivor. Maybe it helps that she didn't need to be on an island? Her social game was on point. Kelley Wentworth also did a fantastic job (I need to get to her other two seasons) and Abi Maria was...well, Abi Maria. Except less frustrating and more hilarious. And whoever this Kellyn girl was (I guess she's from Ghost Island?), kudos to her for playing the game AND getting to the end from 2am-8am her time. 

All women final 6! And all of them pretty deserving to be there. 

Also, Adam Klein was on RHAP Taran's Twitch stream and him and his girlfriend provided some great insight into the game. 

It also seems like they're planning for a second game sometime next month, and with how well this one did, it's going to be hard to top from the second batch of Survivor players. 

• Love 4

I hate to say this but Abi Maria looks really good with her glasses on.  What, I have a thing for women wearing glasses, it is not a fetish thing.  I am not like those creepy feet guys, I swear.

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I take it Abi-Maria wasn't being crazy lately? I'm sure she's nice, but her two stints were a pain to watch.

She was a little crazy but she hasn't been mean or insulting to anyone so far. J'Tia hasn't spiled any rice either.

I left off with the seven deadly sins round where each player gets a punishment. This is fun to watch!

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

She was a little crazy but she hasn't been mean or insulting to anyone so far. J'Tia hasn't spiled any rice either.

I left off with the seven deadly sins round where each player gets a punishment. This is fun to watch!

I finally finished it tonight.  It was enjoyable, though I did not see how War Dog (Do I hate typing that out, I don't mind Troyzan which is equally stupid.  But War Dog is just an over the top dumb nickname) was much of a jerk.

Abi was getting progressively drunk as the show/event went on which was hilarious.

When I first saw the commercials for Ghost Island I found Kellyn to be charming and very pretty.  Therefore, I had her as my pre-game pick to win the show.  I mean the put her on every damn commercial.  I found her to be highly annoying and still pretty while she played Ghost Island.  Watching her play Sequester she reminded me of how charming she was during the commercials for Ghost Island.

10 hours ago, BK1978 said:

I finally finished it tonight.  It was enjoyable, though I did not see how War Dog (Do I hate typing that out, I don't mind Troyzan which is equally stupid.  But War Dog is just an over the top dumb nickname) was much of a jerk.

My customary reference for that particular player was Warthog, if you’re looking for a more palatable alternative.

10 hours ago, BK1978 said:

Abi was getting progressively drunk as the show/event went on which was hilarious.

That might be the only way I could watch Abi.

• LOL 1

I finally finished the Sequester. Oh man, that was more entertaining than like at least half of the last 15 seasons lol.

Kelley is so bitter, it's hilarious. Her losing her mind when she wasn't getting saved during the Safety round had me rolling. And while I appreciate the bitterness, ugh at her dragging Karishma. I wanted Karishma to win!

I might have ended up voting for Abi in the end because she was hilarious but Kellyn actually played well.

I really hope they can get another one of these together.

• Love 3

So have they left yet? LOL!!!! I need something get me through this summer. So we are heading into June. It’s still time to go to some unknown destination and play Survivor for 39 Days. Get it edited and ready for air in September. Do I have to do everything?! LOL!!!!

Back to the real world. There’s been no announcement and I don’t even think you can really fly out of the US, right? I have barely left my house let alone know what the airports are doing.

4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh, also, I've never watched (listened to?) RHAP so I didn't know any of the people doing the commentary but fucking hell that Brent (Brant?) guy was insufferable.

I tried to listen to them for the first few rounds, but I just skipped them because I found them all annoying.  Plus it helped me cut down the viewing time of that monster a lot.  I will say that it was better than the BB one were the viewers just sat there watching the muted players during the down time.

15 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh, also, I've never watched (listened to?) RHAP so I didn't know any of the people doing the commentary but fucking hell that Brent (Brant?) guy was insufferable.

Yeah, Brent is an...acquired taste. I don't mind him most of the time, but I definitely prefer someone like Taran (the one running the stream), especially since my interests and opinions align with him more. 

15 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Kelley is so bitter, it's hilarious. Her losing her mind when she wasn't getting saved during the Safety round had me rolling. And while I appreciate the bitterness, ugh at her dragging Karishma. I wanted Karishma to win!

I kind of felt bad for Chelsea because Kelley almost not getting safety wasn't really her fault, but I could see WHY Kelley might have been upset, since the two couldn't get into a room long enough to talk it out. But still, Chelsea also dropped the ball on reassuring her alliance members so...

Karishma was fantastic here. She showed promise in real Survivor with her idol play, but it shows that her strengths really do lie more within the strategic realm. She has a great strategic mind (see: her throwing the first nomination onto Dean in her room to get the attention off of her). I would actually love to see her play on Big Brother,as now, out of the Trifecta (The Amazing Race, Big Brother, Survivor), the only thread we haven't seen is a Survivor player on Big Brother. We've seen Big Brother on TAR, Survivor on TAR, Big Brother on Survivor, TAR on Big Brother and TAR on Survivor. So let's see Survivor on Big Brother!

• Love 4
11 hours ago, BK1978 said:

I will say that it was better than the BB one were the viewers just sat there watching the muted players during the down time.

Yea, I actually liked having the commentary during it because otherwise it was just minute upon minute of dead air. But still, Brent (Brant? I still don't know lol.) was just entirely annoying. I didn't mind any of the others. And, since I now have a strange fondness for Adam, I really enjoyed his commentary.

40 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Karishma was fantastic here. She showed promise in real Survivor with her idol play, but it shows that her strengths really do lie more within the strategic realm. She has a great strategic mind (see: her throwing the first nomination onto Dean in her room to get the attention off of her). I would actually love to see her play on Big Brother,as now, out of the Trifecta (The Amazing Race, Big Brother, Survivor), the only thread we haven't seen is a Survivor player on Big Brother. We've seen Big Brother on TAR, Survivor on TAR, Big Brother on Survivor, TAR on Big Brother and TAR on Survivor. So let's see Survivor on Big Brother!

Yes to all of this! Karishma for BB22!

I feel bad for Chelsea, too. I can understand Kelley being upset, but she just goes straight for all-encompassing bitterness the second something doesn't go her way.

Speaking of Chelsea, what was up with her and Fairplay? And why did John Carroll talk about how she had a rough week before he dragged her?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Speaking of Chelsea, what was up with her and Fairplay? And why did John Carroll talk about how she had a rough week before he dragged her?

I hear it has something to do with some pre-gaming drama? Also, the fact that Chelsea gunned for Fairplay right off the bat. I think he was spreading some stuff around before the game that she created the cast list and she was running things and she needed to go. Obviously, Chelsea didn't create the list (as she pointed out, if she did, why would she include Fairplay on it?) and that caused her to realize that he was likely gunning for her, so she took him out before he could do it to her.

As for John Carroll, no idea on what his beef is.

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yeah, Brent is the kind of guy to bring drama, no matter what kind it is. He's the type to not care what he says to people and that can rub people the wrong way. Still, I do like hearing the commentary because it provides insight into games from players that I may have missed if I wasn't on a specific room, and a lot of them do have some great things to say. Plus, I've been watching Taran for the last couple of years doing Daily Live Feed recaps for Big Brother and now, just getting into Survivor in the last six months, I've been listening to RHAP commentary.

Adam's seriously great. As someone who just watched his season back in January, I've been finding Adam to be a delight. He obviously has a way with words and I enjoy his insight. 

I'd love to see him on Survivor Sequester Mini 2 (I believe they're planning for that in the next month).

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'd love to see him on Survivor Sequester Mini 2 (I believe they're planning for that in the next month).

I hope that pans out. Also, I would love to see Adam in it, but only if he's like WaW Adam and not like MvGX Adam. Like, I only wanna watch him if he's an outright mess lol.

Is Brent the blonde hair guy?  The only person I knew was Adam for obvious reasons.  I never listen to Rob C.'s podcast because I always find him to be a try hard.  What I mean is he always makes joke after joke and most don't land but he still does it anyway.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, BK1978 said:

Is Brent the blonde hair guy?  The only person I knew was Adam for obvious reasons.  I never listen to Rob C.'s podcast because I always find him to be a try hard.  What I mean is he always makes joke after joke and most don't land but he still does it anyway.

How dare you. Take that back. LOL!!! I guess he’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I’m a huge fan of RHAP but there are probably a lot of things you like and I don’t. I guess that’s why we are different. As for, Brent he’s meh on RHAP. Sometimes he’s okay and other times he bugs me. I haven’t watched this Sequester thing. I’ve heard about it for years and never seen it and don’t even understand it. I guess I can skip it since I’ve survived this long with out it. 

BTW! 20th Anniversary of the first Survivor episode. I watched it that first night and I have never missed an episode since. 

• Love 6
(edited)
25 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

BTW! 20th Anniversary of the first Survivor episode. I watched it that first night and I have never missed an episode since. 

Wow 20 years tonight!  Hard to believe.  I remember watching it that first night, too, thinking it was going to be something stupid (but hey, what else was on in the summer back then but re-runs?)  It took me a few episodes to really get into it, but I wanted to stick with it until Richard Hatch got voted off.  Because there was obviously no way a guy that arrogant was going to win, right?  So I waited for a downfall that never came (that season anyway), and am here 20 years later, having braved the pirates of Pearl Island, met witness protection contestant Gary Hawkins aka Gary Hogeboom in Guatemala, to island-geddon in Game Changers.  And all the guys named Dan I'd rather forget.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Wow 20 years tonight!  Hard to believe.  I remember watching it that first night, too, thinking it was going to be something stupid (but hey, what else was on in the summer back then but re-runs?)  It took me a few episodes to really get into it, but I wanted to stick with it until Richard Hatch got voted off.  Because there was obviously no way a guy that arrogant was going to win, right?  So I waited for a downfall that never came (that season anyway), and am here 20 years later, having braved the pirates of Pearl Island, met witness protection contestant Gary Hawkins aka Gary Hogeboom in Guatemala, to island-geddon in Game Changers.  And all the guys named Dan I'd rather forget.

It’s funny though. Even after the first episode I still didn’t really get it. I’m like, “Oh! It’s on again next week. And, then they....vote off....another person...I Think?!”. It was probably by Episode 3 when I understood the concept. LOL!!! That said, I still thought I was only who watched it. I remember going to work the next and a bunch of people were discussing it and I was like I’m not the only one. One guy did say the fat guy sitting in the tree isn’t going to win. That was Richard Hatch. Good memories. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

It’s funny though. Even after the first episode I still didn’t really get it. I’m like, “Oh! It’s on again next week. And, then they....vote off....another person...I Think?!”. It was probably by Episode 3 when I understood the concept. LOL!!! That said, I still thought I was only who watched it. I remember going to work the next and a bunch of people were discussing it and I was like I’m not the only one. One guy did say the fat guy sitting in the tree isn’t going to win. That was Richard Hatch. Good memories. 

I remember thinking, this is it?  I honestly didn't get too invested until Gretchen was voted off, since the Tagi 4 was outnumbered at the merge 6-4.  And if Pagong had gotten their shit together and believed in alliances, they could have easily picked Tagi off since Sean was such a dumbass to make enemies at the time.  But I kind of thought it was bad-good TV at first.  It got exciting when Gretchen left, even though I didn't like anyone in the Tagi 4 that much, except Rudy.  I was also actually surprised at the number of people who were watching at the time.  My neighbors, friends and their families, my family.  And when Sue gave her rats and snakes speech, I thought there was no way Kelly could lose.   Such good, simple times.  Jeff sat silently for the majority of the episode.  I remember that stupid conch shell which I think was to allow people to talk one at a time (that disappeared after a couple of episodes).  And that chest full of fake money.

I agree, good times.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

How dare you. Take that back. LOL!!! I guess he’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I’m a huge fan of RHAP but there are probably a lot of things you like and I don’t. I guess that’s why we are different. As for, Brent he’s meh on RHAP. Sometimes he’s okay and other times he bugs me. I haven’t watched this Sequester thing. I’ve heard about it for years and never seen it and don’t even understand it. I guess I can skip it since I’ve survived this long with out it. 

Oddly enough, I actually liked him on Amazon (Which was the first season I watched) and he was one of the reasons why I continued to watch.  I guess I just like the edited version of him, where most of his jokes land.

8 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I remember thinking, this is it?  I honestly didn't get too invested until Gretchen was voted off, since the Tagi 4 was outnumbered at the merge 6-4.

Funny thing, that; Gretchen was probably the only reason I started watching Survivor in the first place.  Gretchen was a “local” of sorts (from Clarksville, about 40-odd miles up the interstate), and the Nashville of 2000 was still small enough for someone being on a nationally televised show like that to seem like a Big Deal.

It got exciting when Gretchen left, even though I didn't like anyone in the Tagi 4 that much, except Rudy.

Poor dumb naive little me was initially all about the surviving part of Survivor, and I was all set to quit the show after Gretchen’s eviction; I mean, couldn’t the other players SEE Gretchen had some of the best survival skills out there?

(Yes, doofus, they could; why do you think they voted her off?)

In any case, I was already ready to walk at that point; my wife had gotten stuck on the show, though, so we kept watching.  Now fast-forward a couple of decades later..... 😂 

I agree, good times.

Better times, anyway.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I honestly didn't get too invested until Gretchen was voted off, since the Tagi 4 was outnumbered at the merge 6-4.

Tagi wasn't outnumbered. They went in with even numbers. Tagi had Rich, Rudy, Sue, Kelly, and Sean, and Pagong had Colleen, Jenna, Gervase, Greg, and Gretchen. Sean talked as if he wasn't part of the alliance (and the other four didn't consider him part of it), but he always voted along original tribal lines. There was no way he was going to flip. If Pagong had just voted as a bloc, they might have taken control, but Gretchen said she didn't want to play that way, so everyone on Pagong did their own thing, and some of them even voted against each other. Gervase and Joel understood that they had to stick together, but Joel was gone by the merge, and Gretchen had more influence over the others than Gervase, which is what doomed them. But I think this is what made that first season so great. Not everyone was playing the same game, and the people who thought it was a meritocracy never had a chance against the schemers. It was fascinating. Now it's just idol idol idol idol oh here's a nullifier to shake things up idol idol idol.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Tagi wasn't outnumbered. They went in with even numbers. Tagi had Rich, Rudy, Sue, Kelly, and Sean, and Pagong had Colleen, Jenna, Gervase, Greg, and Gretchen. Sean talked as if he wasn't part of the alliance (and the other four didn't consider him part of it), but he always voted along original tribal lines. There was no way he was going to flip. If Pagong had just voted as a bloc, they might have taken control, but Gretchen said she didn't want to play that way, so everyone on Pagong did their own thing, and some of them even voted against each other. Gervase and Joel understood that they had to stick together, but Joel was gone by the merge, and Gretchen had more influence over the others than Gervase, which is what doomed them. But I think this is what made that first season so great. Not everyone was playing the same game, and the people who thought it was a meritocracy never had a chance against the schemers. It was fascinating. Now it's just idol idol idol idol oh here's a nullifier to shake things up idol idol idol.

But without Sean, the Tagi 4 was outnumbered.  Sean was doing his dumb jury-management ABC vote.  While he may have not planned on voting against any Tagi member, Tagi 4 still only had 4 votes.  That's why I said, if Pagong had it together about alliances and Tagi didn't know it, that could have been the end for them.  On a side note, I wonder if Sean said in interviews that he would vote in ABC order at some point to avoid getting dirt on his hands and to make things fair-and if they purposely put everyone at the end of the alphabet (minus Dirk) on Tagi for that reason.   

Gretchen was one of those who naively thought the show was going to be about survival and skill, not about scheming and alliances.  IIRC, Greg was actually the target at the merge, but won immunity, so the target shifted to Gretchen.  Assuming Greg was voted out first at the merge, and Gretchen made the jury, does Kelly win?  Because Gretchen wasn't crazy about Hatch's pompous attitude from the beginning, and after Sue's speech, I can't see her voting against Kelly for that reason.  And yeah, if Joel had made it to the merge, he probably would have been pushing hard to get Pagong in an alliance.  He claimed years later that he was told by a cameraman about the Tagi 4 alliance, which is why he was trying to get his tribe united.  Maybe he shouldn't have picked on the women so much.  There really is such an innocent element to the first season.  It's actually one of the earlier seasons that I don't feel is a chore to sit through, watching everyone on the beach and catching fish and not doing much except challenges and voting people off.  I liked how Tagi made their camp a home and had little rooms.  And Pagong had that god awful shelter.  But even the Tagi alliance, it was an alliance, and you knew it, but there wasn't all this constant scheming going on like we get now.   

And back to Sean-once again, to show how naive and gullible I was when it came to editing and reality shows in the early years, it actually scared me that Sean seemed kind of stupid and was a doctor.  Who knew editors might try and make you look bad on purpose!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

But without Sean, the Tagi 4 was outnumbered.  Sean was doing his dumb jury-management ABC vote.  While he may have not planned on voting against any Tagi member, Tagi 4 still only had 4 votes.  That's why I said, if Pagong had it together about alliances and Tagi didn't know it, that could have been the end for them.  On a side note, I wonder if Sean said in interviews that he would vote in ABC order at some point to avoid getting dirt on his hands and to make things fair-and if they purposely put everyone at the end of the alphabet (minus Dirk) on Tagi for that reason.   

[...]   

And back to Sean-once again, to show how naive and gullible I was when it came to editing and reality shows in the early years, it actually scared me that Sean seemed kind of stupid and was a doctor.  Who knew editors might try and make you look bad on purpose!

Mark Burnett put out a cash-grab book shortly after the first season ended (and he grabbed my cash 🤦‍♂️ ) which indicated that Sean was not as clueless as he seemed, that he was completely aware of Richard's alliance and actively campaigned to Rich to be in it. The alphabet strategy was more of a "golly gee I just don't want to hurt anyone's feelings" smokescreen. It took advantage of Pagong's names being alphabetically first, but no producer shenanigans in advance. But I guess they thought the "clueless but nice doctor" edit would be more entertaining than the "kind of weaselly doctor" edit.

(edited)
22 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Mark Burnett put out a cash-grab book shortly after the first season ended (and he grabbed my cash 🤦‍♂️ ) which indicated that Sean was not as clueless as he seemed, that he was completely aware of Richard's alliance and actively campaigned to Rich to be in it. The alphabet strategy was more of a "golly gee I just don't want to hurt anyone's feelings" smokescreen. It took advantage of Pagong's names being alphabetically first, but no producer shenanigans in advance. But I guess they thought the "clueless but nice doctor" edit would be more entertaining than the "kind of weaselly doctor" edit.

I think I had that same book 😉  I also had a DVD that showed clips of the contestants interviews, audition videos, and their time on the island (I think it was unseen footage).  I bought the same one for Outback, too.  If I'm remembering right, I think the same DVD came with the box sets for those respective seasons.  Yes, I do remember him saying that Sean wanted to be in the Tagi alliance.  I still think it'd be funny if he talked about the alphabet voting strategy so they purposely divided the tribes like that on purpose.  I also think the book said he played dumb on purpose so he wouldn't be seen as a threat?  Thinking back to the first season, I almost wish we could just do a season of the OGs for the heck of it.  At least those that are willing-Colleen is done with Survivor, and I'm assuming Sue is too.  I don't exactly know where they stand with Hatch, but I don't want to see him back anyway, and sadly a couple of contestants passed away (and Sonja would be out due to age).  But I think the rest of them would consider doing it again, maybe.

On the subject of cash grab, I wonder if they were sorry they let Kelly and Rich burn the camp down before leaving for the FTC.  Not knowing then how popular that first season would be, they probably could have made a fortune auctioning off some of the memorabilia.  I don't know if they did to the stuff that didn't get burned.  

Edited by LadyChatts
4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

sadly a couple of contestants passed away

I thought only BB of the original cast had passed away?

I remember being so embarrassed buying that book XD. I should dig it out and read it again for laughs.

2 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

I thought only BB of the original cast had passed away?

I remember being so embarrassed buying that book XD. I should dig it out and read it again for laughs.

And Rudy 😞 

I still have that book somewhere.  Now I’m tempted to go find it and read it.

(edited)
10 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Gretchen was one of those who naively thought the show was going to be about survival and skill, not about scheming and alliances.  IIRC, Greg was actually the target at the merge, but won immunity, so the target shifted to Gretchen.  Assuming Greg was voted out first at the merge, and Gretchen made the jury, does Kelly win?

This reminds me of a thread we had back on TWoP.  I thought we had it here, but it doesn't seem so.  But since there may be a prolonged hiatus, I think I'll bring it back.

Edited by SVNBob
grammar