Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Now Rob is married with 2 kids.

3 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Yeah, Heidi and Jenna were awful. That said, Jenna has grown up a lot. I don't think we have heard much from Heidi but I do think that they both learned a lot from that season.

That may all be true, but I only know these people from watching them on the show.  Rob may be married with two kids (like Dan) and Jenna and Heidi may have quit being vain and cruel to disabled people. Possibly.  I just don't take it for granted that because they got older they improved a whole lot. Maybe  because I've never noticed much change over time in the people I know in real life.  The people who were mean girls or shallow boys in  my high school still are, although some have learned how to hide it better.

Having said all that, I don't want to say people never change.  If they all came back for another season, I might totally change my opinion,.  For now, I only have their old seasons to go by.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Yeah, Heidi and Jenna were awful. That said, Jenna has grown up a lot. I don't think we have heard much from Heidi but I do think that they both learned a lot from that season.

I thought Heidi was awful, but Jenna was mostly just really young and full of herself the way that some young people can be. Once Heidi was voted out, Jenna became pretty likeable, and she owned her bad behavior at the reunion, unlike Heidi, who was still holding on hard to that "don't hate me because I'm beautiful, you fat losers" position. In the years since, I've read that Heidi has become involved in a lot of charity work, but whenever she's quoted she basically is congratulating herself for being so wonderful, so I don't think she's changed all that much.

Jenna, though, has had it pretty rough. She lost her mom during All-Stars and her dad a couple of years ago, ended her long-term relationship with Ethan, and has been arrested for drug/alcohol use. I don't know. I didn't like her during the Amazon season, but I'm not going to crap on her now because she acted like a brat on a TV show more than 15 years ago.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

OK, so maybe not so much Jenna. I remember her seeming more mature when she played in All Stars and like she was more mature when she was with Ethan. I knew they divorced but she seemed to be in a better place. Guess that fell apart,

I don't believe Ethan and Jenna were ever married, just in a long-term relationship.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

I don't believe Ethan and Jenna were ever married, just in a long-term relationship.

LOL Clearly I don't pay all that much attention and I should stop commenting on these folks.

Rob C I have listened to since he started his Pod Cast. He is far too forgiving towards Production and is more of a fan of the big move and characters then I am but he has handled a lot of the controversies pretty well.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Rob C I have listened to since he started his Pod Cast. He is far too forgiving towards Production and is more of a fan of the big move and characters then I am but he has handled a lot of the controversies pretty well.

I would not be surprised that he holds out some faint hope of taking over for Probst.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

I would not be surprised that he holds out some faint hope of taking over for Probst.

They'll probably give it to the other Rob, if they were to ever replace Probst.  So hopefully he's not holding his breath.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

They'll probably give it to the other Rob, if they were to ever replace Probst.  So hopefully he's not holding his breath.

Or maybe Rob C can host as Rob M.  He frequently does a very good impression of him, particularly this season with IOTI.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Or maybe Rob C can host as Rob M.  He frequently does a very good impression of him, particularly this season with IOTI.  

Or they could alternate Robs per season.  Both of them have kids, and might not want to be away from them for the length of time it takes to film two Survivor seasons.  So Rob M. can do one season, Rob C. the other.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

enna, though, has had it pretty rough. She lost her mom during All-Stars and her dad a couple of years ago, ended her long-term relationship with Ethan, and has been arrested for drug/alcohol use. I don't know. I didn't like her during the Amazon season, but I'm not going to crap on her now because she acted like a brat on a TV show more than 15 years ago.

I don't think I crapped on her.  I said I thought she was part of one of the worst seasons and that I was basing it on her behavior during that season.   On the other hand  I don't see how having your parents die makes you a great person, it happens to almost everyone sooner or later. And getting arrested isn't my idea of proof that you've matured and become lots better. 

• Love 5

Ah, Silas.  He got royally screwed by the twist in his season but I seem to remember he was douchey so I was happy about it.

I wasn't crazy about Jenna during her first season but I came to like her. Or, moreso, I liked her and Ethan together.  They seemed to bring out the best in each other and she stuck by him during some really awful times.  I know they've both moved on with their lives but that's probably the only Survivor couple I ever really cared about. (Sorry Rob and Ambuh)

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Her dress is hideous. And I thought maybe Joe would look attractive with a hair cut but that picture tells me I was wrong.

I’m glad you said it.  And as someone who use to find Joe attractive-he needs to lose the mustache, grown his hair back out, and stay out of the sun.

Also, they are going to have some ridiculously tall kids.  

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Her dress is hideous. And I thought maybe Joe would look attractive with a hair cut but that picture tells me I was wrong.

I actually really liked her dress and thought she looked stunning. Mileage definitely varies! And I initially thought Joe looked really nice because the first pic I saw was from the side, but then I saw the mustache. Just not my cup of tea. But what really matters is that they liked it, and are happy, and it looked like they had a beautiful ceremony full of friends and family and love. 

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

So how many Survivor couples does this make?  Rob/Amber (perhaps the most well known one), Sebastian/Jenna, Whitney/Keith, Alex (from Amazon)/Kim Powers (Africa), Alec/Kara?  I know there's more than that.  

Parvati and John Fincher, Eric Huffman and Jamie Dugan (Survivor China) are the other married couples, I am sure there other not maried couples out there

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

That may all be true, but I only know these people from watching them on the show.  Rob may be married with two kids (like Dan) and Jenna and Heidi may have quit being vain and cruel to disabled people. Possibly.  I just don't take it for granted that because they got older they improved a whole lot. Maybe  because I've never noticed much change over time in the people I know in real life.  The people who were mean girls or shallow boys in  my high school still are, although some have learned how to hide it better.

Having said all that, I don't want to say people never change.  If they all came back for another season, I might totally change my opinion,.  For now, I only have their old seasons to go by.

well she and her husband did donate their mansion to charity to an organization that helps people with disabilities and other special needs.

https://www.today.com/news/cole-hamels-wife-heidi-donate-9-4-million-mansion-charity-t120262

10 hours ago, LanceM said:

well she and her husband did donate their mansion to charity to an organization that helps people with disabilities and other special needs.

That's great. As I said, I only know these people from their time on Survivor and when we talk about favorite/least favorite players etc I'm just talking about that. In fact I'm always surprised at how much some of you know about their lives after the show.  I need to watch more Entertainment Tonight or something.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

That's great. As I said, I only know these people from their time on Survivor and when we talk about favorite/least favorite players etc I'm just talking about that. In fact I'm always surprised at how much some of you know about their lives after the show.  I need to watch more Entertainment Tonight or something.

I don't think anyone watches ET anymore. It's also social media. Twitter and Instagram is where you reality "stars" like to document their lives. If that's your thing. I don't have either. I'm barely on my Facebook. I'm 55 but when it comes to social media I'm 85. LOL!!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • LOL 2
16 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

It's also social media. Twitter and Instagram is where you reality "stars" like to document their lives. If that's your thing. I don't have either. I'm barely on my Facebook.

I don't have any of those including Facebook!  If you're 85 in social media years that would make me over 100.

[waiting for someone to say, OK boomer]

• LOL 4
50 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I know what is happening in Rob C's life only because I listen to Rob Has a Podcast. (shrugs) The rest I read about here.

Truth be told I only know these things because I read places like reddit and Sucks where those people obsess over the players and post everything about them, even the ones going back to the early days.

On 11/26/2019 at 1:34 PM, Bryce Lynch said:

https://people.com/crime/survivor-africa-contestant-silas-gaither-arrested-on-rape-and-assault-charges/

Survivor: Africa Contestant Silas Gaither Arrested on Rape and Assault Charges

WTF kind of article is that? 2 lines dedicated to the arrest and very serious charges, then the rest is a recap of his time on Survivor and what he was up to after the show?? Way to bury the lede on that one...

• Love 4
8 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Guess we should have seen this coming.  Someone took past Survivor TC and edited in Rob/Sandra reactions from this season.

Ha, Dr. Sean is the original "this one never knows anything."

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 11/3/2019 at 11:51 PM, Rachel RSL said:

The best Rudy memory will always be that challenge where they had to answer questions about a story told by Jeff and he answered every question: “I dunno!”.

If DH and I are discussing something perplexing, one of us will end the conversation with Rudy's "I dunno." Still to this day. RIP Rudy.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 12/1/2019 at 11:31 AM, Rt66vintage said:

@gingerella, I only saw one season with Christian, not sure if he's done more, and always liked him as a competitor. As the mentor he had some pretty big shoes to fill, and seemed to try to emulate Tim a couple of times. Is he the guy who coined "fierce?" I hope PR is not gone. 

Nobody can fill Tim Gunn’s shoes, for sure, but I think Christian does his own thing and is doing as well as anyone’s could have, considering they’re following Time Gunn. And no, he didn’t coin ‘fierce’ as a saying, that’s been around for eons!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Eolivet said:

The only way I want to see Sia at the reunion is if she announces that this season, she's donating the money she usually gives the contestants to Time's Up.

What if she invites one of her odd ballet friends to pirouette on Dan's balls?

• LOL 2

I still think Janet or Kellee will get the Sia money (outside chance Elaine).  Last year she was throwing money at everyone.  Joe got some for cutting his hair, and he donated it to a cancer charity.  I know there were a couple more.

• Love 1

I don't want to see Sia at all. They have to get through a lot of stuff at the reunion, including previewing next season, and her being there is a tacit acceptance of the show's behavior.  "Oh, it's back to fun, happy Survivor, don't we feel good about ourselves?" Nope. I want an uncomfortable reunion. I want people squirming. I want people walking out. You forced this on our eyeballs, Survivor -- now lie in it.

There should be only two things at this reunion: 1) a serious discussion about the giant mess the show created by openly condoning sexual harassment (whether they admit it or not) and 2) a preview for (and some discussion about) next season. I'd like it to be 80/20, but I'll settle for 50/50. Any other garbage about Kids Predict the Vote or mini-interviews with the booted contestants or especially the show's self-congratulatory promotion of Sia as their biggest superest most famous fan EVAH is not welcomed by me this year. You changed the rules, Survivor -- forgive me if I hold you to them.

So, stay home, Sia -- make Survivor wallow in the mess they created. Don't prop them up and be complicit in it. Because if she shows up, that's exactly what she's doing.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Eolivet said:

I don't want to see Sia at all. They have to get through a lot of stuff at the reunion, including previewing next season, and her being there is a tacit acceptance of the show's behavior.  "Oh, it's back to fun, happy Survivor, don't we feel good about ourselves?" Nope. I want an uncomfortable reunion. I want people squirming. I want people walking out. You forced this on our eyeballs, Survivor -- now lie in it.

There should be only two things at this reunion: 1) a serious discussion about the giant mess the show created by openly condoning sexual harassment (whether they admit it or not) and 2) a preview for (and some discussion about) next season. I'd like it to be 80/20, but I'll settle for 50/50. Any other garbage about Kids Predict the Vote or mini-interviews with the booted contestants or especially the show's self-congratulatory promotion of Sia as their biggest superest most famous fan EVAH is not welcomed by me this year. You changed the rules, Survivor -- forgive me if I hold you to them.

So, stay home, Sia -- make Survivor wallow in the mess they created. Don't prop them up and be complicit in it. Because if she shows up, that's exactly what she's doing.

Funny thing is, she wasn't at the DvsG reunion, but did give Davie the money after the fact.  I'm not sure I trust this show to cover what happened to the extent it should be, and with the respect it should be.  I remember during the S30 reunion, while they were discussing Will vs Shirin, Will's wife (who was miraculously wearing a mic), yelled from the audience that Will wasn't being a bully.  I can't remember if those were her exact words, but that was the idea. 

Now, it could be that the parties involved, and frankly the only opinions I care about (Kellee and Janet), don't want to get into a deep discussion about what happened, and I don't know if Missy or Elizabeth would want to get terribly in depth, either.  Or maybe they would, if they thought Jeff would go easy on them.  It's hard to know what approach Jeff will take, especially with the backlash he and the show haven't gotten.  His pride and ego are probably hurt more than him actually feeling bad about how things were handled. 

What I see the reunion consisting of (when it starts at 10:30)-a quick interview with the winner, profiling the next season, and talking about Dan gate.  I do wonder if Dan will even show up.  Hopefully Jeff saves talking to Rob/Sandra and anyone else during the commercial breaks like he's done in the past few seasons.

• Love 1

I thought Sia was a survivor of sexual abuse or domestic violence, but I could be mistaken about that. If she is, she'd understandably bail on Survivor for good because of this season, though if she gives anyone money this time it would probably be Janet.

• Love 5

They’ve been shortening the reunions in the last few years anyway. I also see the actual show going much longer and cutting into the normal hour reunion. If Danis in the Final 3 it will really go fast. They’ll probably do a whole thing about Season 40 even more now. Especially, since Rob & Sandra are on the current season. How much the Dan saga is discussed is the question? 5, 10, or 15 minutes. I doubt it would be 20-30 minutes. I’m kind of dreading hearing any of it being discussed or analyzed by Jeff. Ugh!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

They’ve been shortening the reunions in the last few years anyway. I also see the actual show going much longer and cutting into the normal hour reunion. If Danis in the Final 3 it will really go fast. They’ll probably do a whole thing about Season 40 even more now. Especially, since Rob & Sandra are on the current season. How much the Dan saga is discussed is the question? 5, 10, or 15 minutes. I doubt it would be 20-30 minutes. I’m kind of dreading hearing any of it being discussed or analyzed by Jeff. Ugh!

Usually they have a viewing audience for the finale. I'm wondering if they will nix that idea in case someone decides to comment unfavorably  about the season and the Dan issue (especially if he is in final 3). Too much audience feedback could be a bad thing. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, pennben said:

Did Elizabeth not do exit it interviews or did I miss them over holiday weekend?

I haven't seen any.  With the holiday I assumed it would be pushed back, if she chose to do one.  Like Missy and Aaron, she might have refused to do any that wouldn't allow e-mail.  If she has things in the works, she might have figured it was better to say nothing, and stick with her apology she issued.

13 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I still think Janet or Kellee will get the Sia money (outside chance Elaine).  Last year she was throwing money at everyone.  Joe got some for cutting his hair, and he donated it to a cancer charity.  I know there were a couple more.

My initial thought was the Sia money would go to Janet.  Janet put life in front of game.  

This though would make Kellee look as if she came in ‘second’ again.  That is so wrong in my opinion. 

So both Janet and Kellee get money. Maybe not at the reunion or on tv.  

Dan will say the ‘I didn’t know, I didn’t realize’ speech and negotiate a fine line regardless if this was a Survivor storyline or if he is truly an offender.  We ‘think’ we know Dan but do we really?  Have to wait and see.   I would think women would be coming out  now if he was.

I am most concerned about Kellee.  The potential for this to follow her around is the greatest.  Good and bad.  By others or in her own mind.  

• Love 2

We have interviews this week!  And yes Elizabeth didn't do any at all. I think Survivor is in her rear view mirror and she is stepping on the gas (she deleted the fact that was on Survivor on her social media bios)..

anyway.

Karishma clears up that she wasn't in an arranged marriage and that she was exaggerating a little when she was talking about it.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/12/05/survivor-karishma-patel-interview-island-of-the-idols/

"And you know, I have to be frank, I was exaggerating a little bit. I was really, really, really focused on integrating with this new group, letting them in. And they were a warmer bunch than I had been used to with old Lairo. And so I was just trying to show them that I was vulnerable and that I was willing to be honest about difficult things with them. And there was a bit of exaggeration going on there."

She talks a little about her being bullied but mentions she is now friends with most of the cast (which is not surprising after watching her Ponderosa)

"Well, what viewers didn’t see was that for a while before then, I had heard people say, “I hope she gets medevaced.” Or “Gosh, is there a way to get her medevaced,” like literally within earshot shot of me! To me, that’s bullying. That has a purpose of hurting me. That has the purpose of putting someone down. And then you just saw in the last episode where it’s just like nonchalant, there’s just really cruel things being said about me that I think in the real world, these people would never… I mean, they’re wonderful people who would never say it — but in the game, it was happening"

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 1

And another interview with Gordon Holmes

https://my.xfinity.com/ed/tv/2019/12/05/survivor-castaway-karishma-i-call-myself-an-indoor-cat-now-very-happily-purring/

she talks about her alliance with Missy, the bolded part cracks me up

Patel: "Missy and I had an alliance all the way from Lairo. We called it BOT, Bench of Trust. We would go sit on this little bamboo bench and have a conversation. And when we were done, Missy would always give me the same speech, “When we get back to camp, I hate you, I don’t know you. You’re not my friend.” It was like a broken record, but it was fine. Whatever. During the course of the game, Missy would be a little too brutal. She’s a cutthroat player. She’s laser focused on the game. That was not working with me. I couldn’t tell if it was part of the game anymore. So, when Missy pulled me down to have the conversation, well, not really a conversation, she was telling me what needed to be done. She was telling me, “You need to make a fake idol, you need to do this and that.” But, as I’m standing there my bag is up at camp with my idol in it. And the whole time I’m thinking to myself, “Holy (expletive deleted), why is she holding my arm? Why won’t she let me go?” I was wondering if she was told to keep me occupied while they checked my bag. I needed to get my bag and go re-bury my idol. And then later on when she wanted to talk again but she was like, “Can we talk? Elizabeth is going to come with us and hold me back if she needs to.” And, I was like, “Missy, honey, we will talk. But we’ll talk when you don’t need to be held back by a third person.” 

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 3