Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Remember when these travel episodes used to be funnier?

Not really.  I remember travel episodes always being pretty weak.  This one rankled me too.  I'm so tired of hearing about Denmark and Norway.  I should leave it at that because if I go on any further it'll turn into a big political rant.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Lisa (after dreaming about Ninja Bart stopping an assassin trying to kill her as the future queen of Denmark): "Bart, get out of my fantasy."

That joke would've played soooo much better if it was Milhouse targeting Lisa's husband.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, AAEBoiler said:

That joke would've played soooo much better if it was Milhouse targeting Lisa's husband.

Especially since Milhouse was established to be part Danish.

12 hours ago, RayAdverb said:

Not really.  I remember travel episodes always being pretty weak.  This one rankled me too.  I'm so tired of hearing about Denmark and Norway.  I should leave it at that because if I go on any further it'll turn into a big political rant.

The only good ones to me were the Australia and NYC ones. Tokyo and the first Brazil ones were fine, but not as good.

• Love 1
(edited)

Title: Dunking into the O!

Couch Gag: Amish! Tis a fine barn, but not a couch, English.

I immediately knew Lisa was getting caught in a Screamer trap the second I saw that maze. Man, the memories. Speaking of which, it's so weird to see the Simpsons being exposed to a VCR for the first time. I'm old. 

And now it's Bart's turn to be in a coma. Man, this was SUPREMELY fucked up, especially Milhouse's shrink committing suicide before Bart showed up. This was essentially a half hour Treehouse of Horror episode, but I didn't mind that. Man, it was a trip seeing EVERY dead character, even all of the Snowballs. Mrs. Glick is dead again, and Jimmy The Squealer's dead, too. And Man, Jackie Mason sounds OLD. 

Of course (coma)Milhouse would be in to Jesus for the abs.

"I need to get revenge on the man who killed me!"
"The writers who killed you off because you asked for too much money?"
"NO!"

Heh, we finally get some (non-satisfying) closure on Maude's death. I did like how Bart just HAD to remind her that Ned remarried (but don't worry, Edna's dead, too. And now I'm sad again). This was kind of freaky. Coma!Homer was actually Bart, and Lisa was in Bart, telling him to hang on. Man, when Futurama did this, it was less confusing. And what a way to end a season: is Bart still in a coma, and if so, is he still aware? Well, no. But we see how everyone else dies. Except for Maggie, she becomes immortal. I loved that Bart still became Chief Justice in this timeline, and Ned managed to remarry (and outlive) SEVERAL more wives. I caught Mrs. Quimby on that wall.

It's been fun folks. See you in the fall.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

and Ned managed to remarry (and outlive) SEVERAL more wives. I caught Mrs. Quimby on that wall.

I saw just about every female on that wall, from Cletus' wife to Dr. Hibbert's to Patty (or was it Selma that has multiple husbands) to Seymour's mother to even one of the twins in Bart's class-- now grown up.

Was is it about Flanders???

Homer:  Stupid sexy Flanders.

Edited by Twilight Man
  • Love 3
(edited)

This was a surprisingly fun one, in a fucked-up sort of way.

Future Marge remarrying Future Ned isn't shocking. Those two self-righteous mealy-mouthed twits deserve each other. But I'm too jaded on this show to consider anything from that ending canon -- except for Maggie being immortal. That I will happily accept. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

Well, no. But we see how everyone else dies.

That segment was done in the style of the ending of Six Feet Under, even the music was the same.

Homer died robbing a food bank.  Hah !!

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

Man, it was a trip seeing EVERY dead character, even all of the Snowballs.

That was pretty good, there have been so many Snowballs.

• Love 2
(edited)

Board games burned in the fireplace:
-- Scribble (Dumb!)
-- Don't Lose the Pieces (Useless)
-- Oligopoly (Piece Missing)
-- Needless Operation (So Flammable)
-- Mouse Trip

Homer's VHS Collection
-- Homer/Marge Personal
-- Wasps' Nest in Dryer
-- Bart's First Steps/NBA Pre-Season
-- Wedding Video/Alaska Speech
-- Video of Baseball Card Collection

Alaska Speech ?? Is that from the Simpsons Movie ?

Homer: "Classic moments from a time when people used to tape the shows they loved then never watch the tape again."

Other TV show tapes: Family Matters (it certainly does), the Tracy Ullman Show (well I've had my fill), Saved by the Bell (the hit show that launched no ones career) 

While watching the exercise tape, the case on the VCR says "Homer's XXXercise Tape"

Homer (after bending the ladder rung): "Who's this ladder made for  -- babies ?"
Bart points to sign on the ladder -- Caution - Elephant Strength Circus Ladders

When Homer climbs the ladder, the first 2 rungs are pushed into the ground.

When Homer types 'ambulance' into Oogle.com, the pop-ad he gets states "You may have won $5000.  Take this 100-question quiz."
Of course Homer, presses 'Ok'.

Springfield Hospital -- Come for the -oscopies, Stay for the -ectomies

The right half of Bart's brain was filled Bart-ified versions of famous paintings, including 'The Scream', art accesories, music-related items, and a lot of hearts while the left half of Bart's brain contained complex math equations (Roots of Singh, what looks like Maxwell's equations, force of gravity, etc.), large math symbols, chemistry items and a globe.

Milhouse: "Look at those abs.  The secret is less loaves, more fishes."

Moe: "I don't know what's wrong, I served them all lager".  And points to a lacquer bottle.

Before Smithers commits suicide by leaping off the top of the cooling tower, he's reading Peephole magazine about the 'Mr. Burns - Angelina Jolie Wedding Shocker !'

Flanders' wall of dead wives also included (there were 47 in total):
-- Agnes Skinner
-- Lunch Lady Doris
-- Luann van Houten
-- Patty Bouvier
-- Manjula Nahasapeetapetilon
-- Brandine Spuckler
-- Eleanor Abernathy (Crazy Cat Lady)
-- one of Terri or Sherri
-- Cookie Kwan

Apparently Ralph Wiggum was King of North America -- I'm basing that on the circular stained-glass window of North America behind the throne.
Exactly how North America reverted to a monarchy, we will never know.  He was poisoned by his son who looks just like him.

Ralph's son: "Now I'm the evil king."

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

That segment was done in the style of the ending of Six Feet Under, even the music was the same.

I loved the Marge-Flanders scene recreating Brenda dying while listening to Billy drone on. 

• Love 2

That ending, that was awesome.  They're sticking to the canon of Bart becoming Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, love it.  Also, that they continue the continuity of Maggie having an important future.  She's immortal, the voice of a generation, and she was the gem child.

• Love 2

I could have watched more of Bart helping the ghosts. I like how it was petty stuff. The guy who talks about his Tesla too much. 

Skinner makes it to 119 though. Good for him. 

On 5/20/2018 at 8:12 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Homer: "Classic moments from a time when people used to tape the shows they loved then never watch the tape again."

I can relate to this so much!  (Though there have been some I've rewatched.)  It was even funnier for me because I was actually watching this episode on VHS (not to save though).

• Love 1
On 5/20/2018 at 10:04 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Man, it was a trip seeing EVERY dead character, even all of the Snowballs.

I thought Snowball I was white so I don't remember seeing her. Of course there were several other Snowballs in that one episode too (I think technically we are on five).

It was interesting to see both Family Guy and the Simpsons have characters in a coma. But, for this one it seemed like that had this idea that would sort of work for a TOH, but decided to make it a dream episode. I enjoyed it.

So, I just saw this Screen Rant video on what they believed to be dark facts about Marge. Now, some of them I do agree (like she has no friends) but others I do not (like she was the one who shot Mr. Burns. Clearly, that was the baby and no jury in the world would convict a baby. Hmm, maybe Texas).

I often wonder what the past 20 years of television and film would have been like if Phil Hartman had not died.  He would have done a tremendous amount of character and voice acting work.  Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz would still be around.  Zap Branigan on Futurama would have had a different voice (the role was originally written for Hartman).

• Love 6

“Attention Marge Simpson, your son has been arrested.”

“I’d be terribly embarrassed if I were that boy’s mother.”

”Attention Marge Simpson, we’ve also arrested your older, balder, fatter son.”

• Love 3

Ms. Hoover (responding to Lisa’s report on Jebediah Springfield):

”This is nothing but dead white male bashing by a PC thug!”

Marge (cleaning out Maude Flanders’ closet):

Two pairs of shoes? Sheesh, someone had a fetish.”

• Love 2

Ralph: My cat's breath smells like cat food!

And then later, he raises his hand again in class and Ms. Hoover asks if it's going to be about his cat, so he puts his hand down.

(I've used Ralph's quote in real life when the situation arises, usually imitating his voice as I say it.)

• Love 3
On 7/6/2018 at 7:57 PM, charmed1 said:

Ms. Hoover (responding to Lisa’s report on Jebediah Springfield):

”This is nothing but dead white male bashing by a PC thug!”

Later, while recounting this experience:

Lisa: "And then she called me a 'PC Thug'."

Homer: "I'm sorry honey.  I've been called a greasy thug too."

• Love 2

I’ve bought a few figures from the World of Simpsons. Selma and Rod & Todd. Don’t judge me!

There are very few things that I can claim I grew up with. I remember this show debuting right after I began 7th grade. I’m 41 years old. I don’t think I’ve missed an episode since the shorts on The Tracey Ullman Show. Watching The Simpsons is like comfort food for me. I hope it never ends.

• Love 3

I was watching an Arizona Diamondbacks game, and I guess one of the players likes to move his arm up and down like a train conductor after big plays, so it has caught on with fans and someone made a sign that said, "I Choo-Choo-Choose You" with the player's name below it.  That reminded me of years ago when outfielder Shin Soo Choo was playing for Cleveland, there was a sign in the crowd that said, "I Choo-Choo-Choose You, Shin Soo."

• Love 1

This is meta, but... when the Simpsons began as shorts in April 1987, Bart and Lisa only knew a world with the Cold War, the Soviet Union and Mutually Assured Destruction. In 2018, Bart and Lisa have only known a post-9/11 world.

Bart takes a dare and ends up in the hospital; to cover for himself and Homer, Bart lies about meeting Jesus in heaven. Christian producers offer the Simpsons a movie deal, but Bart struggles with guilt about lying.

And we're back! Gal Gadot guests stars.

The show started on time for me. Gotta love living on the east coast!

Intro: 30 years! And going backwards, with one scene representing each season. Season 7 was Steamed Hams.

Couch Gag: Alien Simpsons! "Why does Homer talk like Walter Matthau?!"

"Bart's got a dad! Bart's got a dad!"
"I do not!"

Really liked Nelson in this one. Such a little shit.

I appreciate that this whole plot started by Bart NOT wanting to ruin Lisa's song. Also appreciated that Homer also knew Bart was lying the whole time, and liked Bart taking advantage of that.

I'm sure those pitch and writers meetings were autobiographical. Gal Gadot as Lisa was a funny concept, but I would've LOVED to have seen them cast the fake Lisa from the Spinoff Showcase. She seems like the type of person who would definitely star in those lousy Christian movies. There was not enough of the lousy Christian movie. No scene where nobody believes Bart, then "Bart" lecturing everyone how they're going to hell.

Noticed everyone in Jewish Heaven were all people who appeared on the show and died, like Col Klink and Joan Rivers. And of course Rabbi Krustofski.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Jonathan Groff played Bart in the movie!

And Emily Deschanel had a pitch perfect impression of how Marge currently sounds. Kind of a morbid thought, but maybe they've found a Plan B when Julie Kavner dies? Unless that actually was Julie dubbing for her.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

Signs seen on Springfield Elementary -- 'Student Music Festival 8PM Tonight'
                                                                         'All Tickets Still Available'

Bart: "Grandpa, Dad says I have to take a dare."
Abe: "I had Homer on a dare, and as horrible as that worked out I'd do it again."
Bart: "Why did someone dare you to have Homer ?"
Abe: "It was after the war, we needed babies."

Dr. Hibberd: "He'll be fine"
*Ding*
Dr. Hibberd: "And my burrito is ready.  Umm.  The boy should wake up soon."

Homer: "Marge, Marge, as a man who has fallen off a cliff multiple times the best thing we can do is to teach him how to fall off cliffs."

Movie Producer 1: "Hello Bart"
Movie Producer 2: "Were Christian movie producers."
Bart: "So, you give all your profits back to the church ?"
<Long uncomfortable pause>
Movie Producer 2: Coughs, fidgets, "Could you get your dad ?"

DVD boxes on the coffee table:
-- The God Couple
-- How to Train Your Deacon
-- There's Something About Mary Magdalene
-- Crazy Rich Aslans
-- Where's God When I Feel Tingly ?

Homer: "I know you were great in Fast and Furious, but what else have you been in ?"
Gal Gadot: "Uh, did you see Wonder Woman ?"
Homer: "Whenever I see the DC Logo I immediately fall asleep."

Alternate movie titles for "Bart's Not Dead" 
-- The Brat Boy Who Saw Upwards (China)
-- Hello From Up Over (Australia)
-- The Lord is my Skateboard (Youth Market)

People seen in Jewish Heaven (including those mentioned upthread):
-- Golda Meir
-- Moshe Dayan
-- Albert Einstein
-- King David
-- Joan Rivers 
-- Rabbi Krustofski
-- Gal Gadot (just visiting)

Homer: "Please send me back to earth."
Vishnu: "Yes, yes, you can be a turtle or a pharmaceutical CEO."
Homer: "Turtle please"

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

Jesus struggling to forgive Bart made me lol. And not only did he hit Bart with his hands and the Love sign but gave him that extra kick or two at the end of the pummelling. Oh, Jebus!

Loved all the guest voices, especially Gal Gadot and Emily Deschanel AND hearing Jonathan Groff's angelic voice is always a treat. 

• Love 1

Homer (authoritatively): "The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side!"

Guy in bathroom stall: "That's a RIGHT triangle you idiot!"

Homer: "DOH!".

I love the pacing of this scene and how quickly and aggressively the random guy in the stall corrects him.

• Love 4

Don't know where to put this, but I met Mike Reiss at New York Comic Con today and couldn't have been a nicer, sweeter guy. I finally bought his book and he signed it!

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3

Between this and American Dad, I’m now afraid that if I ever saw a production of Who is Afraid of Virginia Woolf, I’d just start giggling.

The Amazing Place did make me laugh.  And Lisa’s line about Edward Albee. 

• Love 3

Rhys Darby is finally on the show! Well, I've seen other shows use him better.

"Your father might have Moe's and football, but I have being alone and watching this show." That doesn't hit close to home at all. Man, Marge getting kicked off first was honestly heartbreaking. And of course it turned out to be Homer's fault. And then Marge screws up her chance, so all is right, I guess? If she did win, she would've had to split the winnings with Nick, right? I know Homer wouldn't have cared for that.

Man, there were so many callbacks in that attic, and they were organized by how Marge's dreams ended.

That noir bit was weird, but it's definitely one of my favorite depictions of "Homer and Marge's marriage is in trouble" I've seen. Was this the first time the show referenced Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Out of all things, I was not expecting a reference to the Vin di Bona tag.

3 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

The Amazing Place did make me laugh.  And Lisa’s line about Edward Albee. 

I loved how Marge had the CD-Rom game.

Edited by Galileo908