Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

but I didn't know who the couch gag was till the mid show commercial.

I didn't know who they were at all, so had to look them up -- no wonder I've never heard of them, they've only had one season and that was only 11 episodes long. Caught the Futurama references, but were they supposed to be traveling through time or parallel universes. And why were they flying in a space ship ?  Does that happen regularly ?

The episode was ok, but nothing great.  Was this a paid product placement by Waldorf schools -- because I'm not sure it was mentioned enough ?

Not buying that going the old-school route improved mathlete scores.  Wouldn't grade school mathlete competitions be pretty simple anyway ?  Lisa's in Grade 2.

Where did that final scene with the whiskey jug hoedown come from ?  And why ?

• Love 1
(edited)
Where did that final scene with the whiskey jug hoedown come from ?  And why ?

It's the old "this episode wasn't long enough" trick. The couch gag alone clocked in at two and a half minutes.

I didn't know who they were at all, so had to look them up -- no wonder I've never heard of them, they've only had one season and that was only 11 episodes long. Caught the Futurama references, but were they supposed to be traveling through time or parallel universes. And why were they flying in a space ship ?  Does that happen regularly ?

1) Watch it, it's great!

2) Second season premieres July 26th.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1
(edited)
It's the old "this episode wasn't long enough" trick. The couch gag alone clocked in at two and a half minutes.

Yeah, that did seem like an awful lot of filler between the cough gag and hoe down.

1) Watch it, it's great!

I may check it out -- thanks @Galileo908

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

*raises hand* I had no idea who Rick and Morty were until last night. It's piqued my interest just enough to search for their season one. I did catch the Futurama references in the opener, God, I still miss Futurama so much.

I had no idea that the Waldorf school existed, am not impressed with its philosophy, but was glad to see the nerds return to the Simpsons in their many outfits and glad to see the Springfield mathletes again. I am such a dullard when it comes to math but even I side-eyed when Bart ended up as a mathlete, and captain to boot!

Was this the finale?

• Love 1
Was this the finale?

Unfortunately yes.  You would have thought that the producers would have come up with something more impressive to end the season, let alone an episode that ran short on time because there wasn't enough story.

• Love 1

Man, I wonder how many people tonight were exposed to Rick and Morty for the first time because of this?

The Simpsons are listed as getting 2.79 million viewers last night, so I'll guess 2.78 mil.

• Love 1
Somehow Nixon was in that film.  The Simpsons and Futurama love Nixon.

They definitely do love Nixon, but Nixon was also VP under Eisenhower from 1953-1961 (Alaska and Hawaii became states in 1959), so it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

• Love 1

They've release the details of the deal that Harry turned down -- $14 million for 2 seasons works out to about a little under $320K per episode (based on a 22 episode season). Which is basically the same that they were getting since 2011, which is still 30% less than what they were making per episode in 2010.

So in 2011 they made all the voice actors take a 30% pay cut and here it is 4 years later and no significant increase even though the show is still successful (and apparently profitable).

And it is just so hard to make ends meet on $320,000 a week for 22 weeks of work.
  • Love 2

Just saw on EW that an upcoming episode next season will have Sideshow Bob actually succeed in killing Bart. Ten to one it will end up being a dream or end with the typical reset button so that it will never have happened.

Just saw on EW that an upcoming episode next season will have Sideshow Bob actually succeed in killing Bart. Ten to one it will end up being a dream or end with the typical reset button so that it will never have happened.

It's a Halloween episode. So there's bound to be a reset button.

I'm not really on board with the popular idea that only seasons 3-9 are worth watching---for me, (nearly) every season has its share of great episodes and some that I have no interest in ever rewatching. Actually, one of the alleged post-prime seasons---Season 11---is one of my very favorites. I have weird taste :)   

• Love 1

This is probably a sign of my age and increasing sentimentality and nostalgia, but I'm finding myself really loving the earliest seasons lately---even/especially S1-S3, aka 'the seasons before the show got consistently good.' :) Season 3 in particular is TV gold for me, a perfect blend of humor and heart. I actually think right now I'd pick it as my personal favorite, even over the more understandably lauded S4-S9...though I'm still attached to S7 as well. And S5. And S6. And, for some inexplicable reason, S11. :)  

I like that one as well, In2You. 

Some current favorite episodes: Pretty much anything with Sideshow Bob (especially Black Widower and Cape Feare), and in chronological order: Simpson and Delilah, Lisa's Substitute, Stark Raving Dad, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Radio Bart, Homer at the Bat, The Otto Show, Brother Can You Spare Two Dimes? (heh---I warned you about my current obsession with S3!), Kamp Krusty, Homer the Heretic (I tend not to love the really popular S4 episodes as much as most do!), Homer Goes to College, Bart's Inner Child, Homer the Vigilante, Lisa's Rival, Homer Badman, Homer vs. Patty and Selma, Bart Sells His Soul, King Size Homer, Lisa the Iconoclast, 22 Short Films About Springfield, Hurricane Neddy, Cartridge Family, Homer to the Max, E-I, E-I (Annoyed Grunt), Grift of the Maggi, Missionary: Impossible, Pray Anything (clearly I like the ones that explore spirituality/religion!), Margical History Tour, There's Something About Marrying, The Father, The Son and The Holy Guest Star...etc.

There are some from more recent seasons, but you're probably already very sick of reading this! If I had to narrow the above list to 10, I'd probably be at a loss, though I do know at least a few Sideshow Bob episodes, Homer at the Bat, and Lisa the Iconoclast (it embiggens my spirit!) would all make the cut :) 

Lionel Hutz: "Uh-oh, we've drawn Judge Snyder."

Marge: "Is that bad?"

Lionel Hutz: "Well, he's had it in for me since I kinda ran over his dog."

Marge: "You did?"

Lionel Hutz: "Well, replace the word kinda with the word repeatedly, and the word dog with son."

• Love 2

I just found this article on CNN and I came here to see if anyone else is surprised to hear it. Although, speaking about the supposed leaked storyline, I am kind of hoping that they will make this something that will last all of season 27; just because it does sound interesting but I do hope they they keep Marge and Homer together at the end of the season:

(CNN)We already knew that it can be hard to make a marriage work in Hollywood, but it looks like it's also tough to keep things afloat in Springfield.

According to an executive producer for "The Simpsons," Homer and Marge will legally separate in the upcoming season.

The animated series is heading into its 27th season, and the show plans on keeping fans intrigued. Executive producer Al Jean told Variety that one of the plot points for the new season is Springfield's supercouple splitting and the appearance of a surprising other woman.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/10/entertainment/homer-marge-split-simpsons-feat/index.html

(edited)

Wait, so they AREN'T going to just hit the reset button at the end of the episode like they always do?

Honestly, I'm so over the Homer/Marge episodes -- and Marge in general -- that all the internet freak outs over this is just making me roll my eyes.

Edited by Spartan Girl
(edited)

I have been watching this Simpsons, probably since I was 6 (and while looking back I do wonder how my  parents ever allowed me to watch the Simpsons, but I do feel grateful that I was allowed to watch it, that young) but like others I can say that there was a dipped in quality (YMMV) probably in the mid-2000s (and it seemed that almost everything dipped in quality during that time). Which caused me to, briefly stopped watching, but lately I have come back and I feel that the quality has improved. Yes, it is not as good in quality as in Seasons 1-4, but I feel that the episodes are written better than they were back in 2004/2005. 

I feel that they finally got a good crop of writers, this time around now, and that the episodes have been much better. That being said, I still like the Simpsons more (even back in the mid-2000s) than Family Guy

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 2

Wait, so they AREN'T going to just hit the reset button at the end of the episode like they always do?

Honestly, I'm so over the Homer/Marge episodes -- and Marge in general -- that all the internet freak outs over this is just making me roll my eyes.

I am not sure if this is going to be something that will happen throughout Season 27 or in just one episode. Although, I feel that if they are bold enough to try this storyline, throughout Season 27, then that (in my opinion) will be something totally new. 

(edited)

I mean--sure, try it out Al Jean et al. But for christ's sake, why do something like this now and not say ... in the 13th season or something.  christ.

Maybe because they are now being judged, by FOX, on whether  they can get another season (or seasons) base on ratings? Or maybe now, they feel that they can be canned and are trying something that they may have wanted to do for some time now, or they just said, "why the hell not?"

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1
(edited)

afaik, even with lower viewing numbers, they are still a very profitable franchise for Fox.

As far as I know, FOX did want to end this show because they didn't want to pay the voice actors any more money. So, my bet would be that they are going to try either do the things that they always wanted to do, but felt that it might ruin the show or they are just trying to get more viewers to prove to FOX that they do deserve to be on the air longer and to be paid more. 

Edited by TVSpectator
(edited)

I'm intrigued by the idea of a split for Marge and Homer lasting more than one episode. Perhaps this is the kind of thing that could get viewers back out of curiosity? Who knows? The Simpsons has had quite a few great episodes this last season and some not so great ones. Hardly a bad show though considering what passes for comedy these days.

Edited by Aprilshowers

LMAO!  I knew it was going to be just a one-shot episode.  Perfect response, writers.  But seriously, enough with these stupid marriage crisis episodes.

Yeah, they do have a lot of those episodes but I was hoping for at least something that will be a season-long arch (which I guess for this show and for others like it, would be totally wrong of me to think that they would do it). 

LMAO!  I knew it was going to be just a one-shot episode.  Perfect response, writers.  But seriously, enough with these stupid marriage crisis episodes.

I wonder if the writers were thinking they could be all smart and have Homer divorce Marge so that they could have a real wedding with all their friends (thinking they were being sneaky). And then after the story leaked they remembered they already did that back in season 8 and then tried to downplay the story.

• Love 3

In season 20 they had yet another wedding because it turns out Reverend Lovejoy wasn't certified at the time of their second wedding. I find it unlikely that the writers would have forgotten both of those episodes. I think what we have here is just this year's version of the "a main character will die and it will change the show forever" misreporting.

• Love 2

It's amazing how often in real life "Simpsons did it" is appropriate.  There was something in the news a few weeks ago that made me think that (too bad I can't remember it), and I could never take that sci-fi drama The Dome seriously.

[pours bowl of Lucky Charms]

Bart: Aw, damn FDA! Why can't it all be marshmallows?

Lisa: Ew! Bart, don't put the non-marshmallow pieces back in the box. They go in the trash!

I love this bit because at first it seems like Lisa doesn't want him to put the cereal back in the box because he touched it all but no, she doesn't like the non-marshmallow pieces either.

• Love 6
(edited)

Moe singing The Moe Szyslak Connection: Moe, Moe, Moe, how do you like me? How do you like me? Moe, Moe, Moe, why don't you like me? Nobody likes me. 

Edited by Iboatedhere
  • Love 4