Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
methodwriter85

Age in Movies

On 7/15/2018 at 2:23 AM, Trini said:

Grease (which I love!) only kinda works if you look at it as a parody.

It is kind of insane though to think that Stockard Channing was actually old enough to be in high school the year the movie took place. 

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

On 7/16/2018 at 4:46 PM, UYI said:

It is kind of insane though to think that Stockard Channing was actually old enough to be in high school the year the movie took place. 

She was smart though and avoided playing Rizzo like a ditzy young girl, which seems to happen a lot when you have older people playing teenagers. They overcompensate and try to act like some bizarre version of a hyper, perma-prozac teen girl. Best example: Selma Blair in Cruel Intentions, who tried to play 15 but somehow played mentally challenged 9-year old.

• Like 5

Jennifer Connelly has been cast in the Top Gun 2 movie. If she's set to play Tom's love interest, I will be shocked because she's on the other side of 40! We'll see what happens.

Although eh. Maybe she'll be the mother of Tom's actual love interest. LOL.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Jennifer Connelly has been cast in the Top Gun 2 movie. If she's set to play Tom's love interest, I will be shocked because she's on the other side of 40! We'll see what happens.

Ha!

Maybe they thought because it's a sequel to a movie that came out 30 years we'd be less inclined to accept Maverick macking on a girl who was a toddler when the original was released.

11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

LOL! Sounds about right. Or maybe she'll be unceremoniously killed off in the first 10 minutes, and replaced with Chloe Grace Moretz.

1 minute ago, JessePinkman said:

Maybe they thought because it's a sequel to a movie that came out 30 years we'd be less inclined to accept Maverick macking on a girl who was a toddler when the original was released.

I dunno, his last few onscreen love interests have been born in the early 1980s, so...

I remember last year when it was rumored that Chris Hemsworth and his wife were divorcing, plenty of assholes on message boards were saying how it's only natural, since her looks are fading and he needs a younger, more attractive wife to hold his interest (Elsa Pataky is 7 years older than Hemsworth). I wish I could say they were joking, but I somehow doubt it.

Here's a pic of Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky.  Yeah, what a sea hag, eh?

chris-hemsworth2.jpg

• Like 4

I remember when everybody was oohing and awwing at how progressive it was to cast Monica BelIuci as a Bond Girl, and she had about 5 minutes of screen time before the real love interest barely in her 30's showed up.

• Like 7

In her memoir Make 'em Laugh, the late, great Debbie Reynolds recalled briefly dating a man 15 years younger than she was. A friend of hers asked if she was worried that dating a younger man "would be fatal". Reynolds's million dollar reply?

"What the hell? If he dies, he dies!"

• Like 13

Right now, I'm reading a Matthew Quick novel called "Love May Fail", which follows a 40-something woman leaving behind her cheating husband in Florida to spend time in her childhood home. There are all these wonderful references to her teenagehood in the 1980's, as well the angst of mid-life when you realize that with 18 being over 20 years ago, there are lot of things that you wish you had accomplished but didn't.

So of course that means Emma Stone was the absolute right pick for the part. *rolls eyes*

The whole project seems stalled, so maybe this might eventually get made with a protagonist that's actually the right age. Or hell, Emma Stone actually ages into the part. But by then, she'll probably get replaced by Sadie Sink.

On the reverse side, my mind kept doing mental gymnastics watching The Wife and trying to accept Glenn Close as a woman in her mid-50's. She looks good, but c'mon.

• Like 3

At long last, Kelly McGillis just says outright why she wasn't asked to be in the Top Gun sequel.

Good for her for being okay with it, and refusing to be a cog in Hollywood's eternal youth machine, but it still kinda sucks. 

I'd love a Top Gun spinoff where Charlie Blackwood is in a position of power behind the scenes, relishing her role as an older woman in authority, and privately shaking her head at how Maverick pathetically refuses to grow up and change... before merrily going home to her sexy (yet age-appropriate!) wife.

On 4/24/2019 at 4:13 AM, methodwriter85 said:

On the reverse side, my mind kept doing mental gymnastics watching The Wife and trying to accept Glenn Close as a woman in her mid-50's. She looks good, but c'mon.

That wasn't as appallingly egregious as her trying to play "cockeyed optimist" ingenue Nellie in the TV movie version of South Pacific. I want older women to play love interests... their own age or thereabouts. And, no, aging Nellie up doesn't work, it just makes her look like an even bigger idiot than she already is. A 54-year-old playing a naive woman in her early 20s is just wrong*. It's almost as wrong as a 57-year-old man still zooming fighter jets with all the young bucks while trying to look the way he did in the Reagan years (no, I'm not letting that go, why would anyone think I would?!).

*In a movie, anyway. Theatre gives you a lot more leeway.

• Like 10

I love Kelly McGillis for just coming out and saying why they didn't want her in the movie because you know that shit is true.

50 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I'd love a Top Gun spinoff where Charlie Blackwood is in a position of power behind the scenes, relishing her role as an older woman in authority, and privately shaking her head at how Maverick pathetically refuses to grow up and change... before merrily going home to her sexy (yet age-appropriate!) wife.

Now that sounds like a good movie!

• Like 8

4 hours ago, festivus said:

I love Kelly McGillis for just coming out and saying why they didn't want her in the movie because you know that shit is true.

Yeah, basically, you can be over 50 and considered "sexy" in Hollywood, as long as you look like this:

BN-UB370_AUNTMA_P_20170628143551.jpg

4 hours ago, festivus said:

Played by Jody Foster. C'mon Hollywood, make it happen!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Yeah, basically, you can be over 50 and considered "sexy" in Hollywood, as long as you look like this:

Is that a recent picture of Marisa Tomei? She does look beautiful, but she also looks malnourished. I'm not trying to body shame, but she was never that thin in during her career. Yes, she was always slim, but I don't remember seeing bones jutting out. 

Ah, the things women are pressured to do to stay relevant in Hollywood.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, topanga said:

Meryl Streep is literally the only woman I can think of in Hollywood who managed to age AND gain weight and wasn't relegated to supporting matron roles. But then again, her career was never based on being the sexy young thing despite being beautiful.

The Glenn Close thing is interesting to think about, because her breakout with "Fatal Attraction" happened when she was almost in her 40's.

I'm going to have to really suspend my disbelief when Joe tells her the line about being 50 and it not tragic being 50 as long as you're not trying to be 25 in the Sunset Boulevard musical. I keep hoping they'll up it to 60, at least.

• Like 6

Well, Marisa Tomei is 54, I don't know how old she is in that picture but it looks like it could be from Spiderman Homecoming, which came out 2 years ago.

So, she's 52 at most in that picture. Kelly McGillis is 62. So, 10 years and menopause makes a difference regardless of how much you take care of yourself.

But, yes, I would go watch that movie of @Festivus but this one? Meh. I barely remember the first one, so it really didn't make an impression back then.

Edited by supposebly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, supposebly said:

Well, Marisa Tomei is 54, I don't know how old she is in that picture but it looks like it could be from Spiderman Homecoming, which came out 2 years ago.

So, she's 52 at most in that picture. Kelly McGillis is 62. So, 10 years and menopause makes a difference regardless of how much you take care of yourself.

But, yes, I would go watch that movie of @Festivus but this one? Meh. I barely remember the first one, so it really didn't make an impression back then.

Marisa looks much thinner now than she was in her 30s and 40s.  Maybe people like her and Minnie Driver get thinner as they age. I’d hate to think she was starving herself or purging to be that thin. 

• Like 1

Dolph Lundgren is Kelly's age and he was in this really horrible direct-to-streaming non-sequel to Kindgergarten Cop (that has no relation to the movie) where he's romancing a gal who's about 30. It's pretty cringey, and Drew Gooden did a pretty vicious takedown of that plot point and the movie in general:

On 7/24/2018 at 1:52 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I remember last year when it was rumored that Chris Hemsworth and his wife were divorcing, plenty of assholes on message boards were saying how it's only natural, since her looks are fading and he needs a younger, more attractive wife to hold his interest (Elsa Pataky is 7 years older than Hemsworth). I wish I could say they were joking, but I somehow doubt it.

Here's a pic of Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky.  Yeah, what a sea hag, eh?

chris-hemsworth2.jpg

Meanwhile, this is a stunning virile young lad with his beautiful bride about 20 years younger (born the same year as Michelle Tanner, nonetheless) and we're not supposed to think this is weird at all.

Edited by methodwriter85

Sweet baby back ribs, John Stamos's wife is five years younger than I am. This is weird and depressing... and not at all surprising.

Meanwhile, one of the most delightful actors in the world, Alfred Molina, married Jill Gascoine, a woman 16 or 17 years his senior, and they were happily married for decades*. Tragically, however, Gascoine is currently in the final stages of dementia and living in a nursing home. Molina has discussed how he's been coping with this, and he's currently making his directorial debut with an adaptation of one of Gascoine's novels. I don't know about anyone else, but I think that's a lovely tribute to his wife, and a way to keep her legacy alive (his career really overshadowed hers) after she's gone.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch · Reason: I realize I ghoulishly made it sound as if Gascoine has already died (she hasn't).
  • Like 4
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Sweet baby back ribs, John Stamos's wife is five years younger than I am. This is weird and depressing... and not at all surprising.

Meanwhile, one of the most delightful actors in the world, Alfred Molina, married Jill Gascoine, a woman 16 or 17 years his senior, and they were happily married for decades. Tragically, however, Gascoine is currently in the final stages of dementia and living in a nursing home. Molina has discussed how he's been coping with this, and he's currently making his directorial debut with an adaptation of one of Gascoine's novels. I don't know about anyone else, but I think that's a lovely tribute to his wife, and a way to keep her legacy alive (his career really overshadowed hers).

Really?  I had no idea.  Alfred Molina is awesome!

• Like 6

Hugh Jackman's wife is also older than he is. And they've been married, happily, for YEARS. And on the TeeVee side, Patrick Duffy's (Bobby Ewing from Dallas, The Man from Atlantis) wife, also older.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Hugh Jackman's wife is also older than he is. And they've been married, happily, for YEARS. And on the TeeVee side, Patrick Duffy's (Bobby Ewing from Dallas, The Man from Atlantis) wife, also older.

Jason Mamoa and Nick Offerman are also happily married to older women.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Jason Mamoa and Nick Offerman are also happily married to older women.

Lisa Bonet and Megan Mullally. They're really making sacrifices.

• Laugh 8

I think it needs to be mentioned that one of the most compelling pairing of performers in cinematic history happened to have one of the most ludicrous age disparities. In Anastasia (1956), 41-year-old Ingrid Bergman played the title character as an ingenue whose uncertainty of her very identity was being exploited by those eager to reap a literal imperial fortune.

Spoiler

In the film's climax she meets the Empress Mother Marie who seems to believe that this girl could be her long lost granddaughter but in the end, encourages the girl to make the best of her  life anew without having to carry the many burdens that revelation would entail

. Anyway, Her Imperial Majesty was played by none other than the First Lady of Broadway, Helen Hayes who had turned 56 shortly before the movie's release. While it's true that Miss Bergman would look somewhat younger than her actual age until her final decline, Miss Hayes by no means was ready for the crypt and even though the performers both did an excellent job conveying their characters' bond, it was a bit much to expect the audience to believe that Miss Hayes could be Miss Bergman's grandmother -especially with only a 15 year age difference! Sadly, though, Miss Hayes would wind up surviving Miss Bergman by slightly over a decade. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 12:17 PM, topanga said:

Is that a recent picture of Marisa Tomei? She does look beautiful, but she also looks malnourished. I'm not trying to body shame, but she was never that thin in during her career. Yes, she was always slim, but I don't remember seeing bones jutting out. 

Its from Spider-Man Homecoming so 2016 or so

• Like 1