Type keyword(s) to search

Age in Movies

• Start Topic

On 7/15/2018 at 2:23 AM, Trini said:

Grease (which I love!) only kinda works if you look at it as a parody.

It is kind of insane though to think that Stockard Channing was actually old enough to be in high school the year the movie took place. 

• Love 1
On 7/16/2018 at 4:46 PM, UYI said:

It is kind of insane though to think that Stockard Channing was actually old enough to be in high school the year the movie took place. 

She was smart though and avoided playing Rizzo like a ditzy young girl, which seems to happen a lot when you have older people playing teenagers. They overcompensate and try to act like some bizarre version of a hyper, perma-prozac teen girl. Best example: Selma Blair in Cruel Intentions, who tried to play 15 but somehow played mentally challenged 9-year old.

• Love 6
(edited)

Jennifer Connelly has been cast in the Top Gun 2 movie. If she's set to play Tom's love interest, I will be shocked because she's on the other side of 40! We'll see what happens.

Although eh. Maybe she'll be the mother of Tom's actual love interest. LOL.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Jennifer Connelly has been cast in the Top Gun 2 movie. If she's set to play Tom's love interest, I will be shocked because she's on the other side of 40! We'll see what happens.

Ha!

Maybe they thought because it's a sequel to a movie that came out 30 years we'd be less inclined to accept Maverick macking on a girl who was a toddler when the original was released.

LOL! Sounds about right. Or maybe she'll be unceremoniously killed off in the first 10 minutes, and replaced with Chloe Grace Moretz.

1 minute ago, JessePinkman said:

Maybe they thought because it's a sequel to a movie that came out 30 years we'd be less inclined to accept Maverick macking on a girl who was a toddler when the original was released.

I dunno, his last few onscreen love interests have been born in the early 1980s, so...

I remember last year when it was rumored that Chris Hemsworth and his wife were divorcing, plenty of assholes on message boards were saying how it's only natural, since her looks are fading and he needs a younger, more attractive wife to hold his interest (Elsa Pataky is 7 years older than Hemsworth). I wish I could say they were joking, but I somehow doubt it.

Here's a pic of Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky.  Yeah, what a sea hag, eh?

chris-hemsworth2.jpg

• Love 4

In her memoir Make 'em Laugh, the late, great Debbie Reynolds recalled briefly dating a man 15 years younger than she was. A friend of hers asked if she was worried that dating a younger man "would be fatal". Reynolds's million dollar reply?

"What the hell? If he dies, he dies!"

• Love 14

Right now, I'm reading a Matthew Quick novel called "Love May Fail", which follows a 40-something woman leaving behind her cheating husband in Florida to spend time in her childhood home. There are all these wonderful references to her teenagehood in the 1980's, as well the angst of mid-life when you realize that with 18 being over 20 years ago, there are lot of things that you wish you had accomplished but didn't.

So of course that means Emma Stone was the absolute right pick for the part. *rolls eyes*

The whole project seems stalled, so maybe this might eventually get made with a protagonist that's actually the right age. Or hell, Emma Stone actually ages into the part. But by then, she'll probably get replaced by Sadie Sink.

On the reverse side, my mind kept doing mental gymnastics watching The Wife and trying to accept Glenn Close as a woman in her mid-50's. She looks good, but c'mon.

• Love 3

At long last, Kelly McGillis just says outright why she wasn't asked to be in the Top Gun sequel.

Good for her for being okay with it, and refusing to be a cog in Hollywood's eternal youth machine, but it still kinda sucks. 

I'd love a Top Gun spinoff where Charlie Blackwood is in a position of power behind the scenes, relishing her role as an older woman in authority, and privately shaking her head at how Maverick pathetically refuses to grow up and change... before merrily going home to her sexy (yet age-appropriate!) wife.

On 4/24/2019 at 4:13 AM, methodwriter85 said:

On the reverse side, my mind kept doing mental gymnastics watching The Wife and trying to accept Glenn Close as a woman in her mid-50's. She looks good, but c'mon.

That wasn't as appallingly egregious as her trying to play "cockeyed optimist" ingenue Nellie in the TV movie version of South Pacific. I want older women to play love interests... their own age or thereabouts. And, no, aging Nellie up doesn't work, it just makes her look like an even bigger idiot than she already is. A 54-year-old playing a naive woman in her early 20s is just wrong*. It's almost as wrong as a 57-year-old man still zooming fighter jets with all the young bucks while trying to look the way he did in the Reagan years (no, I'm not letting that go, why would anyone think I would?!).

*In a movie, anyway. Theatre gives you a lot more leeway.

• Love 9

I love Kelly McGillis for just coming out and saying why they didn't want her in the movie because you know that shit is true.

50 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I'd love a Top Gun spinoff where Charlie Blackwood is in a position of power behind the scenes, relishing her role as an older woman in authority, and privately shaking her head at how Maverick pathetically refuses to grow up and change... before merrily going home to her sexy (yet age-appropriate!) wife.

Now that sounds like a good movie!

• Love 9
4 hours ago, festivus said:

I love Kelly McGillis for just coming out and saying why they didn't want her in the movie because you know that shit is true.

Yeah, basically, you can be over 50 and considered "sexy" in Hollywood, as long as you look like this:

BN-UB370_AUNTMA_P_20170628143551.jpg

4 hours ago, festivus said:

Played by Jody Foster. C'mon Hollywood, make it happen!

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Yeah, basically, you can be over 50 and considered "sexy" in Hollywood, as long as you look like this:

Is that a recent picture of Marisa Tomei? She does look beautiful, but she also looks malnourished. I'm not trying to body shame, but she was never that thin in during her career. Yes, she was always slim, but I don't remember seeing bones jutting out. 

Ah, the things women are pressured to do to stay relevant in Hollywood.  

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, topanga said:

Meryl Streep is literally the only woman I can think of in Hollywood who managed to age AND gain weight and wasn't relegated to supporting matron roles. But then again, her career was never based on being the sexy young thing despite being beautiful.

The Glenn Close thing is interesting to think about, because her breakout with "Fatal Attraction" happened when she was almost in her 40's.

I'm going to have to really suspend my disbelief when Joe tells her the line about being 50 and it not tragic being 50 as long as you're not trying to be 25 in the Sunset Boulevard musical. I keep hoping they'll up it to 60, at least.

• Love 6

Well, Marisa Tomei is 54, I don't know how old she is in that picture but it looks like it could be from Spiderman Homecoming, which came out 2 years ago.

So, she's 52 at most in that picture. Kelly McGillis is 62. So, 10 years and menopause makes a difference regardless of how much you take care of yourself.

But, yes, I would go watch that movie of @Festivus but this one? Meh. I barely remember the first one, so it really didn't make an impression back then.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

Well, Marisa Tomei is 54, I don't know how old she is in that picture but it looks like it could be from Spiderman Homecoming, which came out 2 years ago.

So, she's 52 at most in that picture. Kelly McGillis is 62. So, 10 years and menopause makes a difference regardless of how much you take care of yourself.

But, yes, I would go watch that movie of @Festivus but this one? Meh. I barely remember the first one, so it really didn't make an impression back then.

Marisa looks much thinner now than she was in her 30s and 40s.  Maybe people like her and Minnie Driver get thinner as they age. I’d hate to think she was starving herself or purging to be that thin. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Dolph Lundgren is Kelly's age and he was in this really horrible direct-to-streaming non-sequel to Kindgergarten Cop (that has no relation to the movie) where he's romancing a gal who's about 30. It's pretty cringey, and Drew Gooden did a pretty vicious takedown of that plot point and the movie in general:

On 7/24/2018 at 1:52 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I remember last year when it was rumored that Chris Hemsworth and his wife were divorcing, plenty of assholes on message boards were saying how it's only natural, since her looks are fading and he needs a younger, more attractive wife to hold his interest (Elsa Pataky is 7 years older than Hemsworth). I wish I could say they were joking, but I somehow doubt it.

chris-hemsworth2.jpg

Meanwhile, this is a stunning virile young lad with his beautiful bride about 20 years younger (born the same year as Michelle Tanner, nonetheless) and we're not supposed to think this is weird at all.

Edited by methodwriter85

Sweet baby back ribs, John Stamos's wife is five years younger than I am. This is weird and depressing... and not at all surprising.

Meanwhile, one of the most delightful actors in the world, Alfred Molina, married Jill Gascoine, a woman 16 or 17 years his senior, and they were happily married for decades*. Tragically, however, Gascoine is currently in the final stages of dementia and living in a nursing home. Molina has discussed how he's been coping with this, and he's currently making his directorial debut with an adaptation of one of Gascoine's novels. I don't know about anyone else, but I think that's a lovely tribute to his wife, and a way to keep her legacy alive (his career really overshadowed hers) after she's gone.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
I realize I ghoulishly made it sound as if Gascoine has already died (she hasn't).
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Sweet baby back ribs, John Stamos's wife is five years younger than I am. This is weird and depressing... and not at all surprising.

Meanwhile, one of the most delightful actors in the world, Alfred Molina, married Jill Gascoine, a woman 16 or 17 years his senior, and they were happily married for decades. Tragically, however, Gascoine is currently in the final stages of dementia and living in a nursing home. Molina has discussed how he's been coping with this, and he's currently making his directorial debut with an adaptation of one of Gascoine's novels. I don't know about anyone else, but I think that's a lovely tribute to his wife, and a way to keep her legacy alive (his career really overshadowed hers).

Really?  I had no idea.  Alfred Molina is awesome!

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Hugh Jackman's wife is also older than he is. And they've been married, happily, for YEARS. And on the TeeVee side, Patrick Duffy's (Bobby Ewing from Dallas, The Man from Atlantis) wife, also older.

Jason Mamoa and Nick Offerman are also happily married to older women.

• Love 3

I think it needs to be mentioned that one of the most compelling pairing of performers in cinematic history happened to have one of the most ludicrous age disparities. In Anastasia (1956), 41-year-old Ingrid Bergman played the title character as an ingenue whose uncertainty of her very identity was being exploited by those eager to reap a literal imperial fortune.

Spoiler

In the film's climax she meets the Empress Mother Marie who seems to believe that this girl could be her long lost granddaughter but in the end, encourages the girl to make the best of her  life anew without having to carry the many burdens that revelation would entail

. Anyway, Her Imperial Majesty was played by none other than the First Lady of Broadway, Helen Hayes who had turned 56 shortly before the movie's release. While it's true that Miss Bergman would look somewhat younger than her actual age until her final decline, Miss Hayes by no means was ready for the crypt and even though the performers both did an excellent job conveying their characters' bond, it was a bit much to expect the audience to believe that Miss Hayes could be Miss Bergman's grandmother -especially with only a 15 year age difference! Sadly, though, Miss Hayes would wind up surviving Miss Bergman by slightly over a decade. 

• Love 2
On 7/31/2019 at 12:17 PM, topanga said:

Is that a recent picture of Marisa Tomei? She does look beautiful, but she also looks malnourished. I'm not trying to body shame, but she was never that thin in during her career. Yes, she was always slim, but I don't remember seeing bones jutting out. 

Its from Spider-Man Homecoming so 2016 or so

• Love 1

I'm really late to the party, but the romance between Sandra Bullock and Trevante Rhodes in "Bird Box" was sooooo hot. He's much younger than her.

I love when the man is much younger, also in the movie "Home Again" starring Reese Witherspoon, in 2017.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

In Laurence Olivier's 1948 Hamlet, his mother, Gertrude, was played by actress Eileen Herlie, who was born in 1918.  Olivier was born in 1907.

Ah, yes, the curious trend of casting an age-inappropriate actress to play Gertrude.

One of the reasons I love the 1996 Hamlet is that Gertrude is played by Julie Christie... who actually is old enough to be Kenneth Branaugh's mom (a rather young mom, but still)! 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Ah, yes, the curious trend of casting an age-inappropriate actress to play Gertrude.

One of the reasons I love the 1996 Hamlet is that Gertrude is played by Julie Christie... who actually is old enough to be Kenneth Branaugh's mom (a rather young mom, but still)! 

Ha, I didn't even know that was a trope.  😄

"You Should Have Left" Kevin Bacon and Amanda Seyfried play husband and wife, even though Kevin is old enough to be Amanda's father. Was that in the book? The most they address it is when the daughter mentions he is older than Amanda's character.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

"You Should Have Left" Kevin Bacon and Amanda Seyfried play husband and wife, even though Kevin is old enough to be Amanda's father. Was that in the book? The most they address it is when the daughter mentions he is older than Amanda's character.

Amanda seems the right age to play the mom of a young child and it's Kevin who's probably too old for his role. I looked around online and saw a plot description of a "middle aged writer" but 61 is stretching it at this point. 

Edited by Dejana
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, Dejana said:

Amanda seems the right age to play the mom of a young child and it's Kevin who's probably too old for his role. I looked around online and saw a plot description of a "middle aged writer" but 61 is stretching it at this point. 

Seriously.

While we're on the subject, why does Hollywood insist on casting people who are way, way, way too old to be the parents of young children? In Downhill (the recent and ill-advised American remake of Force Majeure), Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus play the parents of what appear to be middle-school kids... even though Ferrell is 53 and Dreyfus is 59. I know "change of life babies" are indeed a thing, and people are having kids later these days, but this is ridiculous! In the original film, the protagonists were a glamorous young couple with two very little kids, and the tension stems from their youthful illusions being shattered.

It's easy to pooh-pooh Mrs. Doubtfire, but I'm going to give it this: Sally Field and Robin Williams were just the right ages to be the parents of young kids. They were neither distractingly young or ridiculously old. 

I appreciated how, in Lady Bird, Laurie Metcalfe's character acknowledges she was 44 when she had Sairose Ronan's character.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Seriously.

While we're on the subject, why does Hollywood insist on casting people who are way, way, way too old to be the parents of young children? In Downhill (the recent and ill-advised American remake of Force Majeure), Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus play the parents of what appear to be middle-school kids... even though Ferrell is 53 and Dreyfus is 59. I know "change of life babies" are indeed a thing, and people are having kids later these days, but this is ridiculous! In the original film, the protagonists were a glamorous young couple with two very little kids, and the tension stems from their youthful illusions being shattered.

It's easy to pooh-pooh Mrs. Doubtfire, but I'm going to give it this: Sally Field and Robin Williams were just the right ages to be the parents of young kids. They were neither distractingly young or ridiculously old. 

I appreciated how, in Lady Bird, Laurie Metcalfe's character acknowledges she was 44 when she had Sairose Ronan's character.

The trailer for You Should Have Left, for anyone who hasn't seen it:

When Julia Roberts was in her early 20s, she was making Steel Magnolias and Pretty Woman. Will Smith and Tom Cruise got to play grown men in star vehicles before they were 30. Now the most lucrative movie roles for actors are in franchises where they could be 30 and still playing a teenager/college kid. The timeframe of adulthood has been pushed back culturally, so 61 becomes "middle aged" to Hollywood.

More people than ever are starting families later in life. I don't necessarily need an explanation about why characters have children who "seem" too old or too young for them, when it doesn't really matter to the plot of the movie.

Still, a movie about a couple in a creepy house with their young child could work just as easily with the couple both being in their mid-30s or mid-40s. Even mid-20s, and have them as a religious couple who married young. It doesn't require a tremendous age gap and it's not like the world was crying out for this particular onscreen pairing, or that the story is so fresh and compelling. If it turns out the twist is that it's a resentful grown-up child from the Kevin Bacon character's prior marriage messing with them, at least there would be a point to it all.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Dejana said:

When Julia Roberts was in her early 20s, she was making Steel Magnolias and Pretty Woman. Will Smith and Tom Cruise got to play grown men in star vehicles before they were 30. Now the most lucrative movie roles for actors are in franchises where they could be 30 and still playing a teenager/college kid. The timeframe of adulthood has been pushed back culturally, so 61 becomes "middle aged" to Hollywood.

Right now American men in particular seem like they're not taken seriously at all until they hit their mid-30's. Before that, they're just boys. Timothe Chalamet and Lucas Hedges are probably the most bandied about names of American men below 30 who are given the chance to lead movies, and they're still basically playing boys. So is Ansel Elgort. Even his post-teen movie Baby Driver kept emphasizing his youth and referring to him as a kid.

• Love 2

Right now American men in particular seem like they're not taken seriously at all until they hit their mid-30's. Before that, they're just boys. Timothe Chalamet and Lucas Hedges are probably the most bandied about names of American men below 30 who are given the chance to lead movies, and they're still basically playing boys. So is Ansel Elgort. Even his post-teen movie Baby Driver kept emphasizing his youth and referring to him as a kid.

That’s probably two fold- our EXTENDED adolescence due to our economy, and our cultural obsession with youth. 

• Love 4
On 6/22/2020 at 1:01 AM, VCRTracking said:

I remember seeing this scene and wondering why couldn't they have just made the daughter 18(because that was the actress' age).

gonna guess someone in the writer's room REALLY wanted to get that information out there

also how did the dad not immediately throw out the guy who carries a laminated card legalising him dating minors around in his pocket and said he had dated his 14yo daughter at the age of 17.

• Love 6
On 6/15/2020 at 10:39 AM, Scarlett45 said:

That’s probably two fold- our EXTENDED adolescence due to our economy, and our cultural obsession with youth. 

Youth's STILL wasted on the young! 

• Love 1

"Indiscreet" is one of my favorite later Cary Grant movies. Not just because it shows can Ingrid Bergman can be funny, but also she's closer to Grant's age(11 years younger) than most of his leading ladies at the time.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

"Indiscreet" is one of my favorite later Cary Grant movies. Not just because it shows can Ingrid Bergman can be funny, but also she's closer to Grant's age(11 years younger) than most of his leading ladies at the time.

So I hope you also love Bringing Up Baby (1938) which costarred Katharine Hepburn- a mere three years his junior but who sure had her fun playing the puckish madcap heiress with a pet leopard (the title character). Even though this would be Miss Hepburn's only screwball comedy, it seems she was actually NOT stretching   far as a performer to play this character! 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/14/2020 at 1:22 PM, Dejana said:

The trailer for You Should Have Left, for anyone who hasn't seen it:

I think Baby Boomers as a whole extended middle age to about age 70. Anyway, I was watching the Bounty Hunter, and Jennifer Aniston was playing a character who was 35 and born in 1979. I kind of snickered a bit at the thought of Rachel Green being the same age that Moesha, Tia&Tamera, and Angela Chase were in 1994.

Edited by methodwriter85
On 7/24/2018 at 1:52 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

LOL! Sounds about right. Or maybe she'll be unceremoniously killed off in the first 10 minutes, and replaced with Chloe Grace Moretz.

I dunno, his last few onscreen love interests have been born in the early 1980s, so...

chris-hemsworth2.jpg

Off topic: I remember she came to an awards ceremony heavily pregnant with their twins and instead of wearing the maternity style dresses that sort of camouflage the belly, she decided to flaunt. A bunch of asshole fashion critics said she looked like she had a beer belly and made fun of her, not one person defending her. 

Moving on, apparently according to Kevin Bacon, the huge age difference between him and Amanda Seyfried will be addressed and is actually a huge part of their relationship in "You Should Have Left," which I am glad to hear. 

On a completely opposite note, "The United States Vs. Billie Holiday" directed by Lee Daniels is coming out probably next year. While I think the majority of his cast is pretty perfect (with a bit of a wink at "Lady Sings the Blues" with Evan Ross, Diana Ross's son, having a role), I wonder how fucking awesome Garrett Hedlund was at his audition, because he was cast as Harry J. Anslinger at 35 years old, even though Anslinger didn't get a significant government role until he was 38 and didn't start hunting Billie Holiday until well into his 40s, culminating in him basically killing her when he 68. Whats more, Garrett is a year younger than the actress playing Billie, even though in real life Anslinger was over 20 years older. I just don't get his casting: is Lee Daniels planning on also showing Anslinger raise to power as well? That is the only thing that explains it. 

• Useful 1

I watched Air Force One the other day and I guess Hollywood has gotten to me because I was taken aback by the fact that Harrison Ford's president's first lady looked age appropriate to him. Though Wendy Crewson is 13 years younger she didn't look it and had actual gray in her hair (that's what actually made me perk up, I can't think of many actors who allow gray to show if the role doesn't call for it).

This prompted me to check out the age of my other favorite movie president (David Palmer is my favorite TV president if anyone's keeping track), Thomas J. Whitmore of Independence Day. Bill Pullman is actually two years younger than his onscreen wife Mary McDonnell.

• Love 6
On 7/1/2020 at 10:08 AM, JessePinkman said:

I watched Air Force One the other day and I guess Hollywood has gotten to me because I was taken aback by the fact that Harrison Ford's president's first lady looked age appropriate to him. Though Wendy Crewson is 13 years younger she didn't look it and had actual gray in her hair (that's what actually made me perk up, I can't think of many actors who allow gray to show if the role doesn't call for it).

I remember not noticing that when I saw it in 1997 only that it was long and down past her shoulders, which no first lady IRL had at that point. I think it was probably because Glenn Close, playing the vice president had the more typical bob cut.

On 7/1/2020 at 1:08 PM, JessePinkman said:

I watched Air Force One the other day and I guess Hollywood has gotten to me because I was taken aback by the fact that Harrison Ford's president's first lady looked age appropriate to him. Though Wendy Crewson is 13 years younger she didn't look it and had actual gray in her hair (that's what actually made me perk up, I can't think of many actors who allow gray to show if the role doesn't call for it) 

She's not really making movies anymore, but Annette O'toole is on Netflix's Virgin River with grey hair playing a small-town busybody mayor.  Tim Matheson is also on it and he's also gone grey. But yeah, usually you don't see that. Even Billy Zabka who seems to have let his face age naturally has suspiciously still blond locks.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

She's not really making movies anymore, but Annette O'toole is on Netflix's Virgin River with grey hair playing a small-town busybody mayor.  Tim Matheson is also on it and he's also gone grey. But yeah, usually you don't see that. Even Billy Zabka who seems to have let his face age naturally has suspiciously still blond locks.

Though not a movie, Annette let the gray show in the final year of Smallville. She played Martha Kent

16 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Though not a movie, Annette let the gray show in the final year of Smallville. She played Martha Kent

I bailed out on Smallville around the the mid-run of the show so I didn't see that. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Damn. It's the voice of a freaking chicken. How young did they want her to sound?

Even when she was younger, Julia Sawalha's voice was a bit on the mature side. This is such BS, and wasn't Ginger a grown chicken anyway?

At least Mel Gibson won't be returning. I hope he won't, anyway...

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

K Callan, who plays Christopher Plummer's mother in Knives Out, is six years younger than he is.

I can cut some slack on that bit of casting; Plummer (90 at the time)'s character is 85, so even if Great Nana is "only" 105, I don't think there's an actor that age to play the role unless Olivia de Havilland came out of retirement (and it's not exactly a de Havilland-style role).  I may very well be missing someone, but when I try to think of the oldest female actors still working, they're all about 90-95.  And none of them would look any more believable as his mom than Callan did.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3