Type keyword(s) to search

Age in Movies

• Start Topic

That reminds me that I think Jessie Royce Landis who played Cary Grant’s mother in North by Northwest was only a handful of years older than him.

Angela Lansbury was only ten years older than Elvis but played his mother in Blue Hawaii.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

Angela Lansbury was only ten years older than Elvis but played his mother in Blue Hawaii.

That's nothing; Lansbury was only three years older than her onscreen son Laurence Harvey in The Manchurian Candidate.

• Love 6

I just found another reason to love Continental Divide  a severely underrated romantic comedy with John Belushi and Blair Brown. Turns out Blair was actually three years older than John. Yes, I know three years isn't that big a deal but considering how much we make of that sort of thing today, and the fact that the movie itself doesn't even make a point of addressing that measly difference is kind of awesome, considering this was back in 1981. 

• Love 6
On July 24, 2020 at 6:45 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

That's nothing; Lansbury was only three years older than her onscreen son Laurence Harvey in The Manchurian Candidate.

Okay, after what I just learned about that exact same age difference between Blair and John and the filmmakers not thinking twice about casting them as a couple, this REALLY pisses me off.

4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Okay, after what I just learned about that exact same age difference between Blair and John and the filmmakers not thinking twice about casting them as a couple, this REALLY pisses me off.

I mean it's one of Lansbury's best roles so I can't be that mad about it. She's fantastic in it! A terrific villain.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 8/6/2020 at 1:58 PM, Luckylyn said:

Cher played Meryl Streep’s mother in Mama Mia 2 even though Cher is only 3 years older.   Andy Garcia is implied to be Meryl’s Dad and he’s 7 years younger than her.

We have to remember that Donna's character was only in her 40's

Spoiler

when she passed.

Her daughter Sophie is only 25 and she was born the year after graduating from college. It's funny to watch the first one and remember that Meryl was pushing 60 but playing a woman in her early 40's.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
(edited)

This is something that's been around since silent films but I became so used to it that I never gave it too much thought until lately.   The most egregious examples involve men that are old enough to be the female's grandfather, yet this is just the tip of the iceberg. 

Love Anthony Hopkins but he's a frequent flyer in the club.

HopkinsStain.jpg.8db4ec027d1782a8224489bb833d274b.jpgageHopkins1.jpg.e364982f25bbeabbb6c532bba114c2eb.jpgageHopkins1bbbb.jpg.0d720f4eee31e9a2367ede66bff34ad5.jpgHopkinsHowardsEnd.jpg.36c7a9f7f0e5e60174570d535c6ee26e.jpgHopkinsPicasso.jpg.d185142506308ec307068aee8e387840.jpgHopkinsShadowland.jpg.538fc0c59d762db7b1159bfb91e87c0e.jpg

Jimmy Stewart with Kim Novak and Grace Kelly

ageVertigo.jpg.8f0ebb82d0a0b1a60905a0e363871ec3.jpgageRearWindow.jpg.6dd6c576683dbdcbb5f6758ad84bc5e1.jpg

Clark Gable with Grace Kelly and Marilyn Monroe

Mogombo1.jpg.ed0adacf9ed8a43712fbe213ca8afd0a.jpgMisfits1.jpg.3b959392d6d916657a2c65c6daafe0d6.jpg

Woody Allen, Daniel Day-Lewis

ageAllen2.jpg.3878c1995c673d3cf7b67315901f5307.jpgageLewis1.jpg.7b163b3c26c46c40747c76d67f152fdc.jpg

Edited by Razzberry
  • Love 4

Fred Astaire had significant age gap with his leading ladies in quite a few of his films, it seems that Ginger was the closest in age being about 12 years his junior.

He was 13 years older than Eleanor Powell in Broadway Melody of 1940:

In Daddy Long Legs, he was 56 to Leslie Caron's 24:

43 to Rita Hayworth's 24 in You Were Never Lovelier:

49 to Judy Garland's 26 in Easter Parade:

54 to Cyd Charisse's 31 in The Bandwagon:

While people have said that about Fred a bit, it's rarely called out how Gene Kelly was 40 to Debbie Reynold's 19 while filming Singin' In The Rain.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Sean Connery,  born in 1930 and Catherine Zeta-Jones, born in 1969, in Entrapment (released in 1999). That was a bit much.

Just a bit.

Man, this thread is going to be long. Good to get the worst offenders out of the way. 

• LOL 5

Okay, this one is specifically for age differences, between the characters or actors, so no need to delete. I've noticed something interesting when the roles are reversed.  When the woman is older than the man, this is usually the main plot point. He's often seen as a victim, with a younger woman waiting in the wings for the time when he can escape the cougar's clutches or come to his senses, like "Don't worry, he'll be ok once this madness is over." 

The Mother

ageMother1bb.jpg.0fbfe26a7ecddce3f0b4cd517ee7cbf6.jpgageMother1c.jpg.d9cd042975001f1abd4f9f435be49d39.jpg

The Reader

ageReader1.jpg.867bf2823a24690bb729af12e21010af.jpgageReader1c.jpg.ede9c7f1f49f79aeb3b1c802d5cb9526.jpg

The Graduate

ageGraduate.jpg.d488ee4aa0765cab645700da6485efd0.jpgageGraduate2b.jpg.dfd2f7333b330121db21bdec527cf41b.jpg

Sunset Blvd.

sunset1d.jpg.64218f6a8f47c9b288cbe1a32f3605d8.jpgageSunset1b.jpg.db9ff13feac163abfbdb4dd42a75703c.jpg

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
On 5/19/2021 at 8:57 PM, Shannon L. said:

Sean Connery,  born in 1930 and Catherine Zeta-Jones, born in 1969, in Entrapment (released in 1999). That was a bit much.

I mean if he had been born in say, 1944, that would have been much more realistic.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

I just watched Eurovision and found it entertaining in all its campy nonsense, but I was so distracted by how much older Will Ferrell looks in it compared to Rachel McAdams. She's ten years younger and looks it (plus she could pass for 15 years younger than him easily) - yet they're supposed to be the same age (you see them as kids) in the film and that was a ridiculous premise IMO. Either cast someone older for the female lead, or age up the character of the male lead. Bless Will but he really doesn't look a day under 50.

Edited by KatWay
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, KatWay said:

I just watched Eurovision and found it entertaining in all its campy nonsense, but I was so distracted by how much older Will Ferrell looks in it compared to Rachel McAdams. She's ten years younger and looks it (plus she could pass for 15 years younger than him easily) - yet they're supposed to be the same age (you see them as kids) in the film and that was a ridiculous premise IMO. Either cast someone older for the female lead, or age up the character of the male lead. Bless Will but he really doesn't look a day under 50.

That reminds me of movies like "Yes Man" and "Elf".  Why are you casting Zooey Deschanel against Jim Carrey (18 years older - Jesus) and Will Ferrell (12 years older)?  

It's something I always think about when I watch "Elf" every year.  

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, KatWay said:

I think Will Ferrell looks older than his 54 years. I sometimes worry about him, because he always looks tired, red-faced, and sweaty. I hope he's okay.

Anyway, the phenomenon you mentioned is embarrassingly common in Hollywood. In the 1950s version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter play our main couple, who knew each other as kids.... even though McCarthy was 17 years older than Wynter!

• LOL 2
On 7/1/2020 at 1:08 PM, JessePinkman said:

This prompted me to check out the age of my other favorite movie president (David Palmer is my favorite TV president if anyone's keeping track), Thomas J. Whitmore of Independence Day. Bill Pullman is actually two years younger than his onscreen wife Mary McDonnell.

Wait, Vivica A. Fox is 4 years older than Will Smith, too! 

On 8/5/2020 at 8:43 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I just found another reason to love Continental Divide  a severely underrated romantic comedy with John Belushi and Blair Brown. Turns out Blair was actually three years older than John. Yes, I know three years isn't that big a deal but considering how much we make of that sort of thing today, and the fact that the movie itself doesn't even make a point of addressing that measly difference is kind of awesome, considering this was back in 1981. 

I think even if the woman is one year older than the man, it's something to celebrate, considering we all know movies where the man is 30-40 years older than the woman.

• Love 5
On 5/19/2021 at 8:51 PM, Razzberry said:

This is something that's been around since silent films but I became so used to it that I never gave it too much thought until lately.   The most egregious examples involve men that are old enough to be the female's grandfather, yet this is just the tip of the iceberg. 

Love Anthony Hopkins but he's a frequent flyer in the club.

HopkinsStain.jpg.8db4ec027d1782a8224489bb833d274b.jpgageHopkins1.jpg.e364982f25bbeabbb6c532bba114c2eb.jpgageHopkins1bbbb.jpg.0d720f4eee31e9a2367ede66bff34ad5.jpgHopkinsHowardsEnd.jpg.36c7a9f7f0e5e60174570d535c6ee26e.jpgHopkinsPicasso.jpg.d185142506308ec307068aee8e387840.jpgHopkinsShadowland.jpg.538fc0c59d762db7b1159bfb91e87c0e.jpg

Would anyone mind sharing the titles of these 6?

There's also YOU WILL MEET A TALL DARK STRANGER, a Woody Allen movie, big surprise.  Lucy Punch is 40 years younger... 40.... 40!

MV5BMDc5OGQ1YjYtMDFiMy00M2I1LThkOTEtYzRmNWExZTBmZTc2L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzI3NTM1OQ@@._V1_.jpg

(edited)
On 6/23/2021 at 3:11 PM, KatWay said:

I don't think he WAS supposed to be under 50, because they clearly set the past in 1974 and he looks 6-8 -years old at a minimum, and Rachel's character has to be at least 3, meaning the characters should have been born around 1968 and 1971, respectively. Which is fine, but it's odd that her character is talking about wanting a baby because I spent the movie thinking, "Aren't you like 50? Is this movie actually taking place in 2010 and not 2019/2020?" I mean, it's possible for 50-year old women to have kids and Rachel herself had her first child at 39 but nobody seemed to mention the concept of menopause to Sigrit. LOL.

I just saw Lucky 7 (2003) and I made a joke that the man playing the main character's father only looks 5 years older than her.  In fact, he is only 10 years older than her in real life.

There was this gay movie I watched called Mulligans where the dad is only 8 years older than the actors playing his college-aged son and the friend of the son that the dad enters an affair with. Of course it didn't help that the two "college aged" characters were being played by 28-year olds.

Dan Payne is painfully hot but I do think they should have cast a guy who was at least in his mid-40's to play that part, especially since the writer/star of the movie was 28 and trying to play 22. They should have gotten Tim DeKay or something. LOL. (Referencing other gay cinema movies.)

They do kind of wink at the audience about this with a line about how young the dad looks.

Edited by methodwriter85
(edited)
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I don't think he WAS supposed to be under 50, because they clearly set the past in 1974 and he looks 6-8 -years old at a minimum, and Rachel's character has to be at least 3, meaning the characters should have been born around 1968 and 1971, respectively. Which is fine, but it's odd that her character is talking about wanting a baby because I spent the movie thinking, "Aren't you like 50? Is this movie actually taking place in 2010 and not 2019/2020?" I mean, it's possible for 50-year old women to have kids and Rachel herself had her first child at 39 but nobody seemed to mention the concept of menopause to Sigrit. LOL.

I thought the same exact thing!  I was like, if Lars and Sigrit are supposed to be contemporaries then Sigrit is pushing 50 and no one is mentioning the elephant in the room.  Echoing what Methodwriter said that pregnancy at and around 50 can and does happen, but it is something to consider.

In Game Night Ms. McAdams plays a character with a similar storyline.  Her husband this time is Jason Bateman who is 9 years her senior in real life.  Again, this movie gave me pause for the same reason.  At least in this one we don't know the ages the characters are supposed to be, and they met at bar trivia, so a decade between them isn't a crazy thought.  Also, although the days of Jason Bateman passing for 35-40 are in his rearview mirror, the age gap between him and Rachel McAdams doesn't appear to have quite the vast acres of space as her and Will Ferrell so it's easier to shrug that "it's a movie" and move on. 

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ohhhhhh @methodwriter85 you reminded me of another one.

Here's the star of the new movie "Boogie", and here's the woman who plays his Mom in the picture underneath.  I know that people make jokes, "Asian don't raisin" blah blah, but - come on!  I attached the cast names for everyone underneath.  (The Taylors are playing high school students right? I didn't finish the movie.). I don't know the actors' ages and I don't care to find out - that's their business - so I'm just going by looks only.  It did surprise me when I was watching the movie.

604162ff99f78.image.jpg

MV5BMGQ0MjhiMDctZTU5ZC00ODgwLWEzMTYtOTA2OGFkYjQwNWY4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 10.54.52 PM.png

Eddie Huang directed and wrote this movie, so that also makes me think of Constance Wu not revealing her age or claiming to be much younger than she actually is (or the media simply reporting that) when "Fresh off the Boat" came out.  Eventually it came out that Constance was actually 33 instead of 26.  Now for that, I applaud her, because of Hollywood sexism.  

It's hard to find evidence of this online, but I did find a Reddit post of someone saying it's hard to believe Constance is only 26 from 6 years ago.  She would have been 33 at the time (apparently).  But I do distinctly remember her age being reported as 26.

Did this also happen with Rachel McAdams?  Or did we always know her age?  She always seemed younger than she was too.

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 11.04.17 PM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Did this also happen with Rachel McAdams?  Or did we always know her age?  She always seemed younger than she was too.

I remember there being murmurs that Rachel McAdams was shaving two years off her reported age (1976 being the real birth year, 1978 being the fake one), but there are dated birth announcement records of Rachel from 1978 so I guess that's how old she actually is.

She's not a movie star but Meredith Monroe of Dawson's Creek was playing a teenager and so she said she was born in 1975...I think her real birth year is 1969. I definitely remember her claiming that age. It's hysterical in hindsight to watch the episode of Dawson's Creek where Andie is dancing alone to Footloose...which is a movie that would mean a lot to some who was 15 in 1984 but not someone who was 15 in 1998. LOL. 

Linda Cardellini tried to shave five years off her real age, and I remember she seemed to keep doing that until Scooby Doo, because up to that she had mostly been playing teenagers. After that she did ER and fully committed to adult characters.

Surprisingly, despite the fact that she could have, Amy Adams has never tried shaving years off her age, at least when she was put on the map by Junebug.

1 hour ago, kiddo82 said:

At least in this one we don't know the ages the characters are supposed to be, and they met at bar trivia, so a decade between them isn't a crazy thought.  Also, although the days of Jason Bateman passing for 35-40 are in his rearview mirror, the age gap between him and Rachel McAdams doesn't appear to have quite the vast acres of space as her and Will Ferrell so it's easier to shrug that "it's a movie" and move on. 

I just figured her character in that was like 36 and called it a day. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

While people have said that about Fred a bit, it's rarely called out how Gene Kelly was 40 to Debbie Reynold's 19 while filming Singin' In The Rain.

I was a little surprised when I found out how big the age gap between them was.  I think Gene looked a little youthful for his age at the time. 

• Love 2

I quickly skimmed through the four pages and didn't see this.  Sorry if I missed it.  I just discovered this today:

James Bond: Why Roger Moore Quit the Role of 007

Moore told Entertainment Weekly “It had been on my mind for a long time. I became very conscious that I was getting long in the tooth to play the great lover…I was 57 in the last one. You can see I was getting a little scraggy around the neck.”

Moore had no problems with the physical aspects of the part. According to Digital Spy, he said “It wasn’t because of the physical stuff as I could still play tennis for two hours a day and do a one-hour workout every morning. Physically I was okay but facially I started looking… well, the leading ladies were young enough to be my grand-daughter and it becomes disgusting.”

Moore appears to have been referring to Tanya Roberts. Roberts is known for her roles in the television series Charlie’s Angels and That ‘70s Show. Her most famous film role was playing Bond’s love interest Stacey Sutton in A View to a Kill. According to the book Aging Heroes: Growing Old in Popular Culture, Roberts was twenty-seven years younger than Moore. That’s an age difference so large it might cause controversy if the film were made today.

While making the film, Moore realized he wasn’t just older than Roberts. He was older than Roberts’ mother! That was the last straw for him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
(edited)
On 7/4/2021 at 4:29 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah, that's a feature of Bond movies still today.  Daniel Craig and Lea Seydoux (Spectre) are 17 years apart.  Eye-rolling.

And in that case, they made a big hype about Monica Bellucci showing up as a Bond love interest, when she had about like 5-10 minutes of screentime.

Anyway...Jenny Nicholson roasting on the actress playing Casey in Tommorrowland being too old:

I generally don't mind Dawson casting but Tomorrowland stood out because Disney movies tend to get actual teenagers to play teenagers.

It was also just weird because like she said, Britt Robertson had already graduated to playing adults and it was weird to see that whiplash. Plus, despite being small she really doesn't have a baby face as opposed to Mae Whitman. (Who really did pull off high school in The Duff.) 

Jenny also hits on an important point, where an adult actor trying to play a teenager will just overcompensate and it becomes even more awkward. See: Selma Blair in Cruel Intentions.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

And in that case, they made a big hype about Monica Bellucci showing up as a Bond love interest, when she had about like 5-10 minutes of screentime.

Anyway...Jenny Nicholson roasting on the actress playing Casey in Tommorrowland being too old:

I generally don't mind Dawson casting but Tomorrowland stood out because Disney movies tend to get actual teenagers to play teenagers.

It was also just weird because like she said, Britt Robertson had already graduated to playing adults and it was weird to see that whiplash. Plus, despite being small she really doesn't have a baby face as opposed to Mae Whitman. (Who really did pull off high school in The Duff.) 

Jenny also hits on an important point, where an adult actor trying to play a teenager will just overcompensate and it becomes even more awkward. See: Selma Blair in Cruel Intentions.

"Willikers, Mr. Clooney! I'm definitely not 25 years old!!"

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm watching Seth Meyers's talk show and Scarlett Johansson is mocking the fact that David Harbour plays her father in "Black Widow".  They are 9 years apart.

Sounds like she didn't want light spoilers for the show's concept. The mother figure played by  Rachel Weisz would have been a 15 year old parent if playing actual ages while the father had comic book supernatural science applied to him so actual ages are less relevant there.

On 7/4/2021 at 4:29 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah, that's a feature of Bond movies still today.  Daniel Craig and Lea Seydoux (Spectre) are 17 years apart.  Eye-rolling.

"Stay in your lane, old man! You're fifty three years old, that's practically dead!"

I might be just a little touchy because my fifty third birthday is just around the corner. Or that might not be the case at all.

• Love 3
On 7/13/2021 at 6:24 PM, JustHereForFood said:

I'm sure there is plenty of room between doing intense action scenes and romancing women in their mid-thirties and being practically dead. 

This reminds me of how after watching Black Panther my Mom said “I don’t get to fight in the battle? I have to stay behind?” She is Angela Basset in her head. Yes Mommy- Angela Basset had to stay behind. But she still got to look fabulous!!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 5/19/2021 at 8:16 PM, Popples said:

Fred Astaire had significant age gap with his leading ladies in quite a few of his films, it seems that Ginger was the closest in age being about 12 years his junior.

He was 13 years older than Eleanor Powell in Broadway Melody of 1940:

In Daddy Long Legs, he was 56 to Leslie Caron's 24:

43 to Rita Hayworth's 24 in You Were Never Lovelier:

49 to Judy Garland's 26 in Easter Parade:

54 to Cyd Charisse's 31 in The Bandwagon:

While people have said that about Fred a bit, it's rarely called out how Gene Kelly was 40 to Debbie Reynold's 19 while filming Singin' In The Rain.

Fred Astaire proved to the world , he may be old , but he could out dance any__ younger male dancer back then. As great of a dancer Derek Hough is, I don't think he will ever___ be better than Astaire.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Fred Astaire proved to the world , he may be old , but he could out dance any__ younger male dancer back then. As great of a dancer Derek Hough is, I don't think he will ever___ be better than Astaire.

No doubt, I absolutely adore Fred and relished the chance to use the videos instead of just listing examples of the age gaps.

• Love 3

So, Samuel L. Jackson had a movie come out this weekend (The Protégé, it was OK, Maggie Q was awesome) Anyway, the reason I bring it up here is that his character in the movie had his 70th birthday. I can't recall a Samuel L. action movie specifically referring to his age before. Usually they just pretend he's like 20 years younger.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

So, Samuel L. Jackson had a movie come out this weekend (The Protégé, it was OK, Maggie Q was awesome) Anyway, the reason I bring it up here is that his character in the movie had his 70th birthday. I can't recall a Samuel L. action movie specifically referring to his age before. Usually they just pretend he's like 20 years younger.

Wow. So, to use an apparently popular phrase, I was today years old when I found out that Samuel L. Jackson is 72. That is seventy-two! I haven't really thought about his age much, but I would have guessed that he is somewhere around 50. Yes, really. I am processing it now. 72. 

• Love 5
23 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

My friends who saw this movie said that Michael Keaton's character (69) is romantically linked to Maggie Q's character (42.)

I also just saw "Reminiscence" starring Hugh Jackman.  Not a good movie, and Rebecca Ferguson is the romantic lead.  Once again I left a movie thinking 1) Why was Rebecca cast in this and 2) I guess the reason is because she's 15 years younger than the male lead.  Again.  In 2021.  Thandie Newton played Hugh's colleague, and she would have been a lot more age appropriate for the romantic lead (and a much better and more charismatic actor not to mention more experienced), but you know, god forbid.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Wow. So, to use an apparently popular phrase, I was today years old when I found out that Samuel L. Jackson is 72. That is seventy-two! I haven't really thought about his age much, but I would have guessed that he is somewhere around 50. Yes, really. I am processing it now. 72. 

I knew he was in his early 70s because he is around the same age is my Mom. He does look good and kind of “timeless”. I had a similar moment like that when I was introducing a friend to “A Muppet Christmas Carol” and I thought “How old is Michael Caine??? He was an senior when I was LITTLE.” (He is now 88) He feels kind of timeless too- same vibe from when he was in “Cider House Rules”. 

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

My friends who saw this movie said that Michael Keaton's character (69) is romantically linked to Maggie Q's character (42.)

I also just saw "Reminiscence" starring Hugh Jackman.  Not a good movie, and Rebecca Ferguson is the romantic lead.  Once again I left a movie thinking 1) Why was Rebecca cast in this and 2) I guess the reason is because she's 15 years younger than the male lead.  Again.  In 2021.  Thandie Newton played Hugh's colleague, and she would have been a lot more age appropriate for the romantic lead (and a much better and more charismatic actor not to mention more experienced), but you know, god forbid.

I like Rebecca Ferguson’s work- she wasn’t good? 15 years is a big gap for a romantic lead to me. Anything greater than 10 is atypical to me. Not “weird” just not the norm. I was thinking of seeing that movie. 

Oh I'm really not a fan of hers because I always see her cast in these roles where it makes no sense.  Another example is "The Girl on the Train".  Justin Theroux is 50 and all of his love interests are now 38 or younger (the movie was in 2016).  They cast Rebecca in this -- why?  Then they put a horrible wig on her -- Why?  Emily Blunt was fantastic in the movie but I really thought Rebecca brought nothing to the role and the character looked nothing like she normally does anyway.

If you're a big fan of hers, then sure, watch "Reminiscence".   She has a main role.

• Love 2
On 8/22/2021 at 7:47 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Oh I'm really not a fan of hers because I always see her cast in these roles where it makes no sense.  Another example is "The Girl on the Train".  Justin Theroux is 50 and all of his love interests are now 38 or younger (the movie was in 2016).  They cast Rebecca in this -- why?  Then they put a horrible wig on her -- Why?  Emily Blunt was fantastic in the movie but I really thought Rebecca brought nothing to the role and the character looked nothing like she normally does anyway.

If you're a big fan of hers, then sure, watch "Reminiscence".   She has a main role.

Eh, the 12-year gap isn't that bad when it's 45-33. And you have to admit, Theroux doesn't look his age.

To me, it is that bad.  And I don't admit that, that's a completely subjective reading, and I'm not sure how that matters at all.  If Tom Cruise "looks" young should he always have love interests 30 years younger than he is in the movies?

And Theroux in that movie is also linked to Haley Bennett.  Age difference:  17 years.

Theroux is linked to 3 women in that movie with the age difference being 12 + 12 + 17 years with him, of course, always being older.

If that's not a pattern............. what is?

A friend of mine said that Maggie Q "looks" much younger than her 42 years in "The Protege".  So then why is she conveniently saddled with a love interest who is 70?   By that logic her love interest should be Zac Efron.  That logic almost NEVER seems to work for women.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

To me, it is that bad.  And I don't admit that, that's a completely subjective reading, and I'm not sure how that matters at all.  If Tom Cruise "looks" young should he always have love interests 30 years younger than he is in the movies?

And Theroux in that movie is also linked to Haley Bennett.  Age difference:  17 years.

Theroux is linked to 3 women in that movie with the age difference being 12 + 12 + 17 years with him, of course, always being older.

If that's not a pattern............. what is?

A friend of mine said that Maggie Q "looks" much younger than her 42 years in "The Protege".  So then why is she conveniently saddled with a love interest who is 70?   By that logic her love interest should be Zac Efron.  That logic almost NEVER seems to work for women.

The movie I can recall off the top of my head where the woman’s older and it’s not an issue is “Water for Elephants”. But also in that movie Marlena (played by Reese Witherspoon-45) has an older husband (played by Christoph Waltz-  64) and her love interest/the male protagonist is Robert Pattinson (age 35). 

*all ages are the current age. The movie was made in 2006.