Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Celebrating Diversity

The Emmy award is so great...and can open more opportunities for them!

I do worry about the cast once the cameras are gone.  Typical people would most likely understand that this attention is eventually going to go away.  They will be sought after in the DS community for a few years, but not forever.  (For example, Lauren Potter from Glee was "big," but we don't hear much about her these days.) I'm afraid some of them will have a great deal of difficulty when the spotlight is turned off.

• Love 3
On September 21, 2016 at 1:19 AM, Cherrio said:

While I truly do think Christina did a wonderful and authentic waltz, Dancing with The Stars cannot hire her because she could decide to stop dancing and run into the audience because she missed a step. Its a live show.

I mean... okay, I guess that could happen, but so what if she did? It's not like they're going to shoot her on sight. I'm sure her parents would be involved in making sure proper accommodations were made in advance. And maybe some of inclusion is about being okay with the risk that something like this could happen in a public space. It's not the end of the world, and it's not that likely.

The payoff if it doesn't, which is far more likely, would be amazing to see. I'd personally like to see her dream come true.

Edited by Kareny
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Kareny said:

I mean... okay, I guess that could happen, but so what if she did? It's not like they're going to shoot her on sight. I'm sure her parents would be involved in making sure proper accommodations were made in advance. And maybe some of inclusion is about being okay with the risk that something like this could happen in a public space. It's not the end of the world, and it's not that likely.

The payoff if it doesn't, which is far more likely, would be amazing to see. I'd personally like to see her dream come true.

I think it would be more realistic if she made a guest appearance.   I also posted earlier this week and agree with camom that I think its healthier to focus on daily life dreams and goals rather than celebrity.    

So far my favorite thing featured on the show was when John worked at a pet store for a day.  He was capable and happy.

• Love 5
On 9/21/2016 at 11:56 PM, princelina said:

I enjoyed Cristina's dance, and I loved sweet Angel popping in to wish her luck!  And her family LOLing that she was pissed to get second place!

I was dying laughing at her brothers laughing that she was pissed for getting 2nd. That whole family is just precious (good lord I sound like Michelle Duggar). 

One thing I do think is odd... Each episode is about 3-4 of them, switching off every week. Except Megan. She is featured every week no matter what. I wonder why?

So sad the finale is next week!

• Love 5

Next to Rachel, of course, my favorite people on tv right now are her brother and brother-in-law. 

When Rachel's mom said "there's dad" and Rachel started running? Thank you, show. I needed you tonight after The Duggars. Kick ass, Rachel. You rule!

Omg there was something creepy about Megan throwing the baby bottle.

Rachel was walking with some serious swagger after her date. She knew she killed it ;)

Check out slick Steven.  "Hey Kris. You're 'my' favorite." Lol.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 7

Rachel looked angelic in the wedding dress. I'm not sure how scripted the show is, but Rachel seems the most spontaneous in terms of her reactions and comments. Her brother's wedding was so sweet, and Rachel, as usual, was a delight. Loved her date with Frank! Steven and Megan's relationship seems producer driven and contrived. 

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, ThinkerBell said:

Rachel looked angelic in the wedding dress. I'm not sure how scripted the show is, but Rachel seems the most spontaneous in terms of her reactions and comments. Her brother's wedding was so sweet, and Rachel, as usual, was a delight. Loved her date with Frank! Steven and Megan's relationship seems producer driven and contrived. 

Everything surrounding Megan seems contrived to me.  That lame ass ending? Please. That may have been this show's jumping of the shark. It's unfortunate that the show has positioned her as the star, because she comes off as the least sincere and most rehearsed of all of them. It's like she's reciting lines sometimes.  

Personally, since this was the season finale and all, I would have liked to have seen some of the other cast who haven't been featured as much instead of the lameness that is Megan. When was the last time Elena was featured? I want to see more about her poetry. Or Sean?  I know they aren't the most pleaseant, but they're more authentic than Megan's "fairy tale."  I mean, no one believes she's doing anything on her own. Her and Steven both talk as if they're living in a real-life movie/soap opera where everyone else is just there to fulfill whatever role they have in mind. Her constant cutesy giggling is super annoying as well and she seems to like being the center of things a bit too much for my taste.  

If there has to be a "star," I'd much rather it be Rachel.  There's not a disingenuous bone in her body.  She is so sweet and good with real issues without being fake.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, KBrownie said:

Everything surrounding Megan seems contrived to me.  That lame ass ending? Please. That may have been this show's jumping of the shark. It's unfortunate that the show has positioned her as the star, because she comes off as the least sincere and most rehearsed of all of them. It's like she's reciting lines sometimes.  

Personally, since this was the season finale and all, I would have liked to have seen some of the other cast who haven't been featured as much instead of the lameness that is Megan. When was the last time Elena was featured? I want to see more about her poetry. Or Sean?  I know they aren't the most pleaseant, but they're more authentic than Megan's "fairy tale."  I mean, no one believes she's doing anything on her own. Her and Steven both talk as if they're living in a real-life movie/soap opera where everyone else is just there to fulfill whatever role they have in mind. Her constant cutesy giggling is super annoying as well and she seems to like being the center of things a bit too much for my taste.  

If there has to be a "star," I'd much rather it be Rachel.  There's not a disingenuous bone in her body.  She is so sweet and good with real issues without being fake.

Yes! Everything you said, I was thinking. Elena's struggles tug at my heart a lot more than Megan's unrelenting pursuit of her fairy tale life.

• Love 7

Not having watched the finale yet, I already feel like Season 3 will be where I end my relationship with this show. It just doesn't seem authentic anymore. John would not be invited to work with a Grammy award winning producer and have everyone pretend that he will be able to make a living off of rapping as if it weren't for this show. Megan and the bs about "owning/running" her own business are insulting to our intelligence when it's been shown that she can't count money. Age of majority or not, as her mom, I would've had her on birth control and made it very clear that a baby is not in the cards, but they're playing this fantasy game and coddling. I wonder how much producer "suggestion" has gone into the Steven/Megan romantic storyline. 

The other cast members have real lives/struggles and I'm not interested in manufactured drama, especially when it consists of absolutely unrealistic situations. This mess has taken over the stories about Elena and her emotional issues, Rachel and her health/family/desire for a love life, even annoying Sean and his ability to function with others. Not interested. 

• Love 10
On 9/23/2016 at 2:04 PM, Kareny said:

I

Can't seem to delete the above quote.

I agree with the last three posts.  This second season is so inauthentic compared to season one.  I really have not enjoyed it.     My thoughts are the same, as I was watching last night which is I would love to watch Elena's honesty.   She has insight, where the others don't.  She doesn't live her life according to some dumb movie.     Last night was annoying as another poster pointed out with fake producer driven plots.     Steven was all kinds of wrong pursuing Megan and Megan goes from a break up to a new boyfriend in record time.   Her business which her mother and aunt run, the never ending talk about babies. Honestly, I would of loved to see her work on her hamburger ordering skills since she couldn't do it and had a meltdown at the store.

Rachel squealed about a guy asking her out for the first time?   Uh, she went out with Perth on the show, talked about having a failed relationship in the past and was aggressive with men.  Her mom had that talk with her about it.

I won't be watching next season if its going to continue with more producer driven dreck.  Angel and Cristina cannot even order from a menu without a lot of help, how are they going to get married?  The parents even seem to be caught up in this faux celebrity.  I guess its fun to go on a fake trip abroad and forget about real life for a few days.  I would much rather see the real day to day struggles and more honesty from the parents too.

I doubt very much these parents have the time, energy or money to get gussied up and drive from behind the orange curtain to Los Angeles all the time for appreciation parties or even get their adult children there to hang out. 

Edited by Cherrio
  • Love 4

I finally got "Graduating Peter" from the library (thanks to the recommendation from a fellow PTV member!) and kept thinking about it while watching the finale. It came up in particular during the scene where the group was "babysitting" the DS babies - I kept wondering how many of those kids were going to be more at Peter's level than Megan or Rachel's level. I can only hope that with the improved knowledge and better programs available to those young children that none will have to struggle as Peter did.

• Love 3

I have a 22 year old niece with Down Syndrome who loves this show. She loves babies and will cross a room to to talk to one even if she doesn't know them. Most of the time my sister or her sisters are able to reign in her enthusiasm most of the time. She also has been taking dance classes since she was tiny and loves it. I am so glad that she hasn't caught the "I want a baby" bug that Megan is obsessed by. She has also accepted the fact that she cannot get a driver's license and takes the bus to her jobs. As much as I love the cast, I can tell how much higher a level they are than my niece. She is just as stubborn as these young adults but I dont' know how she would do in some of these circumstances. She would love to do the ballroom lessons that Cristina had but would in no way be able to do the poetry Elena did. She and I had a nice little discussion about watching the show and she said her favorite character was Sean which surprised me. I figure she'd have been all over Steven since she loves the cute boys. I was so glad that the letter written to the parents of the babies with Down Syndrome was not yet another rehash of the "don't limit me" speech. Thank you for some creativity guys. Add me to list of those not happy with the Megan/Steven pair up. Wasn't it last season that he went on and on about how he wanted to date a typical. I was amused that Megan didn't want to break up with Brenden because she'd have to eat ice cream and watch old movies. Yeah, she's in no way emotionally prepared to be a parent let alone have a mature relationship. Kris was good pointing out that Megan didn't have to do those things if she broke up with him. It was also very telling that Megan would get upset every time Sean would ask about her boyfriend.

• Love 4

Add me to the list ready to throw in the towel with this show, that has devolved from a lovely documentary series to a typical reality show crapfest of forced scenarios.

Smart move, I guess, by Rachel's brother and brother-in-law to get their wedding at least in part comped without having to give up too much of their privacy.

Kris telling Megan that if a relationship isn't working, you end it, and if you break-up you act how you feel afterward, not how every bad movie in the history of cinema has told you to act was nice.  Everyone strutting their stuff at the fashion show was nice.  Rachel taking off running for the finish line when she spotted her dad was everything.

The rest?  Pffft.

In case anyone missed the promo during a commercial break, there will be a bonus episode next week (interviews and outtakes, I think).

• Love 3

Regardless of the set up situations, I ruined my eye makeup during Rachel's scenes. It's hard for some typical people to find mates when they have a weight problem or aren't considered classically attractive and watching guys always go after the 'pretty' girls is tough. It would be way harder in the DS world where the pool of dating prospects is infinitely smaller. I'm glad Rachel's brother and husband are such an awesome support. I also really liked her date. He seemed like a really positive person.

Megan needs to lay off the deep red lipstick. It looked like she'd been sucking on a carcass.

• Love 5

Glad Rachel had a great time on date, and the 5K.  She's a sweetie.
I'm trying to think if there's been a happy, feel good episode for Elena.  I'd love to see her have one.
I'd thought those training dolls were more realistic, or more than we saw.
Didn't see any buying, preparing food, changing diapers, or doing laundry, but even the crying seems to have put Megan off a baby, at least for now.

• Love 3

From what I've read about those babies, they are programmed to cry periodically and the computer knows each time why they are crying, but the caregiver has to try feeding, burping, changing, rocking, etc. and figure it out to get it to stop.  

I have several theories about Kris and Megan, who have always seemed a little "off" to me.  I think she did somehow manage to get Megan the "starring" role of this show, maybe because some people knew about her because of "her" business and speech.  Because Megan didn't even live in CA when this show started!  And I think Kris is good at feeding her "storylines" and Megan is easy to lead, especially since she really does think she wants marriage/a baby.  But remember a few episodes ago when she was driving Megan to meet Brendan at the lake - "Did you tell him you want to get married at the lake?" And then Megan's all "Oh yeah I want to get married here" :)

I wouldn't be surprised if Kris had found Brendan in the first place.  I think she wanted her daughter to be as cool and popular as she could be (that would be Kris' dream :) but once you get her on cheerleading there's not much more to be done - no typical boy is going to be her boyfriend (with good intentions, anyway) so I suspect Kris found a boyfriend for her.  Of course this is all IMO!  But I think Megan likes having a boyfriend.  Not a "long distance relationship".  I roll my eyes heavily when she's blathering on about "focusing on myself and my business"  but I did LOL when she thought she had to have sex to get the baby, and eat ice cream and watch sad movies if she broke up :)

Rachel's date was kind of an obvious set-up but they were so sweet that I hope they really like each other!  She deserves a man who can cut a mean rug!  I enjoyed Sean's blind date too.  I don't mind a little producer manipulation, especially since they all seem to want dates, or things like the camping trip, John learning to swim, Elena's poetry reading, the boys trying to live independently, etc. All of those things are fun for the cast and the audience, and help them learn new things and meet people and feel proud.  But enough of the impossible and silly - no one believes that Megan goes to college or runs a business, and John isn't going to be a rapper as a career.

All cynicism aside, however, I enjoyed this episode and was in tears for I think every one of the Rachel scenes.  Best line of the night was her brother- "All I need is to be covered in glitter for this gay wedding!"  LOL

• Love 4

I too think Kris made all the plans, and did the Megology, and speech.  I think she saw them as a team, and was blindsided when Meg thought she do all the things on her own, wanted to get married, have a baby, without mom.
Guess it was Kris wanting the best for her child, but I really just can't like them, and it's bad when I dislike Megan, because she's not really at fault, it's just her manner.
On Rachel's brother's wedding, I think it was in the first season, when they became engaged, that Rachel was asked to be in the wedding.  So that was a planned famiy thing I believe, not a producer thing.

• Love 3

Sure, but Rachel being in the wedding didn't meant the wedding had to be filmed and aired on the show.  That was something to which they agreed, and were compensated accordingly; they got the hotel comped, and who knows how much the production company paid for.  Given how expensive weddings are, it was a smart move -- they're not the stars of the show, so they knew nowhere near as much of it would be aired as would happen if Rachel or any of the others got married on camera, and thus it's not as intrusive.  One normally has to share a lot more of a personal moment with the world in order to get a production company to pick up the tab (or at least a portion of the tab).  They got the best of both worlds, and good for them. 

From the little we've seen of them, they're a nice couple, and are very good brothers to Rachel.  It's not a minor consideration to marry into that situation; Rachel may wind up living with her brother after the parents are gone, so the husband has taken on that possibility. 

Rachel and Cristina have lucked out in the family department.  None of these people have bad parents, even Elena, and most of them have pretty damn good parents.  But those two have parents and brothers who are just downright special people (yet would probably never describe themselves that way).  Which undoubtedly plays a significant role in why Rachel and Cristina are such good eggs.

• Love 6

I feel terrible for saying this but I really have an aversion to Megan.  She is too in your face,  coddled and full of herself.  The megology clothing was ugly and no one looks good in it.  Why doesn't Kris get her a puppy or something to mother.?she was cute how she loved that doll but an actual baby is ten times the work and I don't think Megan would ever be able to handle it.  Rachel is the sweetest girl.. Love her running to her dad and her first date. 

• Love 5

I'm pretty sure Sean is an only child, and I don't know about Steven.  It is a consideration to marry into a family like this, and I admire those who do so.  You're not just marrying your spouse, you may one day also have to help care for your spouse's sibling.  Bravo to them!

• Love 3

Yeah, I mentioned the same thing, because it's not something I could do.

I'm trying to picture the episode when the parents all met to talk about making provisions for care of their kids after they're gone, to remember what everyone's plans are, but all I can remember is John's sisters saying they'd take him in (and have him take turns living with each of them, to have a break) and Kris lamenting the fact Megan's care will come from the system, rather than family.  I can't remember specifics from anyone else.

• Love 1

Well...I guess I am diverse to haha cause I love Megan and Kris. Everytime I see the flasback pics of pretty young Kris and her sweet baby I tear up. Imagine having a baby and accepting and loving her and your husband leaves you? I really wonder if he wanted to put baby Megan in an institution

Kris said she and Brendans mom drove tham and arranged dates. Really Brendan did not seem "into" Megan. Kris was great helping her to understnd she needs to be fair and make a devision.

Loved Rachel...the wedding...the 5k...and oh yes her date!

Frank seems sweet...movie date next?

Steven is cute and slick haha.."You are my favorite Kris"

Hope next week we hear Meg and Steven have updated fb status to "in a relationship"

I really like them all...with yeah exception of Sean's Mom

• Love 4
14 hours ago, camom said:

I'm pretty sure Sean is an only child, and I don't know about Steven.  It is a consideration to marry into a family like this, and I admire those who do so.  You're not just marrying your spouse, you may one day also have to help care for your spouse's sibling.  Bravo to them!

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, I mentioned the same thing, because it's not something I could do.

It would not be something I could I do either.   I would respect the decision either way it went.  I would absolutely not think any less of someone who did not want to assume responsibility of a sibling. Or a prospective spouse deciding they did not want to marry.

• Love 2

I'm trying to picture the episode when the parents all met to talk about making provisions for care of their kids after they're gone, to remember what everyone's plans are, but all I can remember is John's sisters saying they'd take him in (and have him take turns living with each of them, to have a break) and Kris lamenting the fact Megan's care will come from the system, rather than family.  I can't remember specifics from anyone else.

Most of them have plans in place involving family.  It doesn't necessarily mean the person with DS will actually live with the family members.  For example, if something happened to Rachel's parents (God forbid!), she might move in with her brother, but she also might move into a group home or other living situation.  But no matter what, her brother would watch out for her I'm sure.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, princelina said:

Doesn't Steven have a sister who lives away?  I feel like I remember her visiting with a boyfriend or husband who played catch and talked about girls with Steven.

Yes, she's in grad school. We saw more of the bf than we did of her.

• Love 3

I've only just watched the last half of this season and enjoyed it, though I agree that at the very end it seemed like it was straying into Queen for a Day territory.  Why not be invited to a studio to do a recording and see how the business works without the ego scratching -- why couch it as some kind of genuine "I really have to work with you!" moment of "being discovered"?  

Likewise, as a middle aged single person, I cringed at the "your person is out there and you'll find them and they'll love you just for who you are!" talk.  It's bothersome enough when I see it with typical teens/young adults.  Yes, I was told the same, and I believed it, and, well... hasn't happened and I've dealt with it.  But it's less probable for Rachel and I wonder at her emotional resilience to cope with the realization at 30, 40, etc. if it never does happen.  

I do admire these parents because they're really in uncharted waters (assuming they like many of us had no previous experience with Down's syndrome) when it comes to managing expectations without quashing possibilities.  

• Love 10

Rachel's love and knowledge of music won me over! Too too cute.

Omg even better: that little clip of a younger Rachel.

Are both of those guys Christina's brothers?

I love John's hate of babies.  Not everyone needs to love them :)

Wow! What a reception for chef Gino. They love him! (has he been on his show before?)

Im going to find one thing tomorrow to get as excited for as Rachel did for SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS!!

Sean's parents look like brother and sister.

Hahha. John's self confidence is awesome: "This song is so effing good." You toot your own horn, John Tucker. I don't care for your music but keep on rockin'!

John's fave part about the show is the food service. Lol.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 8

My favorite was Rachel's brother. "It's a gay wedding. How is it not time for showtunes?"

I also wish we'd seen more of the fun Elena. She seemed to be having a really good time in all of these cut clips!

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Zanne said:

I also wish we'd seen more of the fun Elena. She seemed to be having a really good time in all of these cut clips!

Poor Elena.  She just wants to have a cool mom. 

She has a great laugh (Elena).  One of her talking heads with John ... her laugh was a thing of beauty. 

• Love 4

so many thoughts about this episode.

So are steven and Megan dating? One of the things that struck me was the casting process--which makes me believe some of them were not even friends or went to that one central place before this show was filmed..I wonder how wide a net they cast--I mean Megan and Kris were living in Colorado. The first season its seemed like they had all been together for years. I also wonder about the extra cast members who we get a flash of occasionally. i wonder if they empty out that center and set up activities just for the cast to be filmed in.

I feel so bad for Elena and her mom--she just wants to "change her personality". so much going on with those 2. How freaking adorable and amazing was Rachel doing that roast for her father?? I just LOVE her.

So I guess Meg and Kris are relocated to California since the show is successful? I wonder how often she sees her Dad.As I said so many many things I would love to know about the inner workings of the show.

Oh and I love chef gino is it??

Steven seems like such a sweetie, I think its interesting that he likes to date "typicals". 

• Love 3

The outtakes show is not available (at least not yet) on the A&E app and my cable On Demand doesn't have it online either. Hope I can find a way to watch it soon.

Never mind, it showed up on my On Demand. Thought it was much more interesting and fun to watch than most of the regular season, even though I did enjoy that too. 

Edited by Eureka
  • Love 1

One of the things that struck me was the casting process--which makes me believe some of them were not even friends or went to that one central place before this show was filmed..I wonder how wide a net they cast--I mean Megan and Kris were living in Colorado. The first season its seemed like they had all been together for years. I also wonder about the extra cast members who we get a flash of occasionally. i wonder if they empty out that center and set up activities just for the cast to be filmed in.

My understanding of the casting process is that a call went out for people with DS in southern California in a particular age range.  They met with the production people, who picked the ones they wanted.  I'm guessing that Kris got wind of it and came to L.A. at her own expense to do the show.  During the first season, the center where they film had just been built and was not operational yet, so it was pretty easy.  I'm not sure how they do it now.

1 hour ago, camom said:

My understanding of the casting process is that a call went out for people with DS in southern California in a particular age range.  They met with the production people, who picked the ones they wanted.  I'm guessing that Kris got wind of it and came to L.A. at her own expense to do the show.  During the first season, the center where they film had just been built and was not operational yet, so it was pretty easy.  I'm not sure how they do it now.

I remember reading that they found Megan when the casting crew met with Sean at a DS convention.  I don't think they said more than that but its plausible she did her speech at the convention so the casting people took notice.

2 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

So I guess Meg and Kris are relocated to California since the show is successful? I wonder how often she sees her Dad.As I said so many many things I would love to know about the inner workings of the show.

In the Gazette article posted in this thread they said that Kris and Meg live in LA part-time and part-time in CO.

This was one of the better episodes.  You saw more of the cast acting as they normally would, and not doing something desiged by the producers.
Maybe they can work another episode like this in midseason next year.

• Love 4

The various pairings for the talking heads were cute, especially John and Elena. 

Megan's laugh is adorable.  But WTF with Kris asking her if she'd ever had sex, Megan saying she didn't think so, and Kris saying she'd know if she had?  That's every parent's job, to teach their children what sex is, and guiding them towards the personal standards to use in deciding whether to say yes or no in various circumstances.  It's all the more important with a child with a disability that potentially affects their decision-making skills in that area.  The show treated it like some (hopefully totally false) throw-away line for humor, but it was quite disturbing.  All these folks need extra education on sex and consent, especially the women who could become pregnant with kids they're not adequately equipped to care for.

Also, it was bad enough last week when they tried to play off Rachel's date with the plant from the 5k as her first date ever, when we'd previously heard her talking about an ex, so it was glaring when on the heels of that set-up last week they included this week a clip of Rachel talking about said ex.  Why futz; her story is interesting enough on its own.

Wow! What a reception for chef Gino. They love him! (has he been on his show before?)

Yes, we've seen him with them in the kitchen a few times.  I'm always struck by how perfect his personality is to instruct this group of people (because mine is so very not). 

• Love 3

I didn't see the first season -- was Rachel's "ex" real, or George Glass?  Because at a young age when I wasn't dating but peers were I'd lie and pretend I had.  So it's not necessarily production's fault if she's telling her friends one thing and talking reality with her mom.  

I laughed so hard at John's reluctance to be on the hook for broken baby damages!

• Love 5
7 hours ago, kassa said:

I didn't see the first season -- was Rachel's "ex" real, or George Glass?  

LOL

I think someone above mentioned her boyfriend Perth. Didn't they go to a dance together?  I have very vague memories of him so anyone please correct me.

Edited by woodscommaelle

Perth was the guy she went all stage five clinger on, when he just wanted to be friends, prompting her mom to have a good conversation with her about slowing her roll.  The ex she's referenced several times was before him, but I don't know the time frame. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

The ex she's referenced several times was before him, but I don't know the time frame. 

Plus, the ex could be like Perth in that they weren't dating, but Rachel really, really wanted to be. Remember, Megan broke up with Tyler Perry through the television screen when she saw he had a baby with his girlfriend on TMZ. The reality of the dating could be in question.

• Love 3

Sure, it could all be in her mind.  I'd have to go back and watch the conversation between Rachel and her mom about the ex (after Perth got scared off, which is, I believe, the first time the ex was discussed), because while the impression I have in my memory is that her mom was acknowledging a real situation that affected Rachel's actions, it may be that Rachel was just delusional and this producer plant from the race was her actual first date.  If so, it's funny to me that production left in commentary about an ex right on the heels of presenting a first date scenario.