Type keyword(s) to search

General Gabbery: DWTS

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

My guess for the first elimination will be Sean Spicer.

I hope so. He doesn't have the fanatical fanbase of a singer or Bachelor contestant. He looks so out of shape that I can't fathom him actually being a decent dancer, so with the limited voting window, there might be hope.

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

I'm gonna lock in a prediction before the season starts, so in the case I'm right I get to feel like I called it. (I haven't watched any of the dances) 

I think James will win. 

You know what, I haven't even seen him dance and for some reason I got the same feeling. I think it's in part to do with his personality. He's hilarious.

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, Just Carol said:

Emma looks great with brown hair.  It looks like Lindsay augmented her lips and she is not as cute as before.  I did not even recognize Jenna -- what did she do to her face?

I hate to say it but I didn’t recognize Jenna either.  Maybe it’s from weight loss?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, JKLM said:

Thought Lamar Odom was getting despondent about the comments from Len and Bruno. Carrie Ann's comments seemed designed purely to give him at least some encouragement. 

Yeah he was bad, but they were pretty mean to him. There were other people who were just as bad, or almost so.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

Yeah he was bad, but they were pretty mean to him. There were other people who were just as bad, or almost so.

I wonder if he was another "controversial" contestant they didn't really want on the show.  He OD'd in a brothel and suffered multiple strokes and ruined his career a few years ago.  Makes Ryan Lockte look like a boy scout.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, JKLM said:

Did anyone else notice some odd camera work during a dance? Wish I could remember who was dancing, but it looked like the camera almost fell over.

I thought it was during Jenna's and Karamo dance.   It was really weird.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, LBS said:

I thought it was during Jenna's and Karamo dance.   It was really weird.

Yes, it was that one.  There was odd camera work in a few of the dances, but just as Jenna was doing of her lifts it was like the camera person fell over.

Also generally through the night the camera would shift to these long faraway shots when people were dancing where you could see the whole floor but it wasn't close enough to see what anyone was doing.

• Love 5

I don't know if they announced this on the show, but according to a few of the pros they now have a mandatory off day 1x a week, which for everyone was yesterday.  I think the off day may disappear later in the season when they get to 2 dances a week but thought that was an interesting change.  I'm assuming it's partly to prevent injury but also might serve as some sort of reset day for production.

I'm also still waiting on the voting changes.  Since there was no vote week 1, if someone did great week one and sucks week 2, they could be in trouble since there would be no voting bump from week one.  I also think it's all live voting now so gone are the days of people making 150 accounts and staying up all night to power vote (why would anyone anyway), but I do think there are more changes they haven't told us yet.

I'm betting on some sort of either dance off or judges save.  A dance off for the B2 or B3 or something and the judges get to choose who leaves or the judges can save a couple from elimination once during the season.

Since the biggest issue with last season was Bobby and Joe and how they could fall over and still get voted through and in Bobby's case win, I can't imagine they didn't do something to try and prevent that from happening again.  Especially with bringing Spicer's dumb ass on the show.  Bobby winning was bad enough but the show would basically implode itself if Spicer was allowed to "win".

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, spanana said:

Since the biggest issue with last season was Bobby and Joe and how they could fall over and still get voted through and in Bobby's case win, I can't imagine they didn't do something to try and prevent that from happening again.  Especially with bringing Spicer's dumb ass on the show.  Bobby winning was bad enough but the show would basically implode itself if Spicer was allowed to "win".

Spicer won't win. As annoying as Bones was, he wasn't a criminal or liar of Spicer's magnitude, and he had a big fanbase. Although I didn't care for him, I didn't have an issue with him being on the show or winning.

Spicer is a totally different story. He dances far worse than Bobby, and he doesn't have a fanbase. I don't think Trump supporters are just automatically going to vote for him, like the show seems to assume.  He might get past Lamar, but I don't see him beating anyone else unless the judges grossly overscore him (and I wouldn't be surprised to be honest).

• Love 4
Just now, boyznkatz said:

Spicer won't win. As annoying as Bones was, he wasn't a criminal or liar of Spicer's magnitude, and he had a big fanbase. Although I didn't care for him, I didn't have an issue with him being on the show or winning.

Spicer is a totally different story. He dances far worse than Bobby, and he doesn't have a fanbase. I don't think Trump supporters are just automatically going to vote for him, like the show seems to assume.  He might get past Lamar, but I don't see him beating anyone else unless the judges grossly overscore him (and I wouldn't be surprised to be honest).

I had many issues with Bobby and still do but that is neither here nor there. I don't think Spicer will win either but I also think if he outlasts even three or four people there will even more major backlash for the show than there has been.  But either way I think my main point was the show after last season when they supposedly went back to their drawing board to make voting changes, they had to have made enough voting changes to feel confident of not having a repeat situation.

I'm also not even sure if I'd say Spicer dances far worse than Bobby.  Spicer is bad but that is giving Bobby far too much credit.

• Love 5

Yeah, Bobby definitely left a trail of poop behind that is going to be hard to clean up. Maybe that is why Sharna isn't here? She doesn't seem pissed, so I have to wonder if maybe she didn't want to do this season on purpose. Maybe she didn't want to deal with the Bobby backlash that would have followed?

• Love 5
7 hours ago, spanana said:

I don't know if they announced this on the show, but according to a few of the pros they now have a mandatory off day 1x a week, which for everyone was yesterday.  I think the off day may disappear later in the season when they get to 2 dances a week but thought that was an interesting change.  I'm assuming it's partly to prevent injury but also might serve as some sort of reset day for production.

I'm glad to hear that. Let them get a little rest, let their bodies relax for a bit, all that good stuff. And for those celebrities who have to juggle other gigs, having that free day may be helpful on that front, too. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, spanana said:

I had many issues with Bobby and still do but that is neither here nor there. I don't think Spicer will win either but I also think if he outlasts even three or four people there will even more major backlash for the show than there has been.  

I'm also not even sure if I'd say Spicer dances far worse than Bobby.  Spicer is bad but that is giving Bobby far too much credit.

Amen!

Make sure you’re all seated before continuing to read. It will be the only semi-nice/neutral thing I will ever say about Spicer.

At least Spicer TRIED to dance. His musicality is nonexistent and he screwed up the timing before he ever moved his feet, but at least he actually bent his knees during his performance. BB can’t even walk and chew gum at the same time. 

I am still pissed that someone who literally only walked across the stage and then marched up some stairs during their freestyle dance routine managed to win over Milo Manheim.

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 18
11 minutes ago, Bridget said:

I am still pissed that someone who literally only walked across the stage and then marched up some stairs during their freestyle dance routine managed to win over Milo Manheim.

Heh.

I still remember that Country Night Team Dance that they did and when it came time for Bobby's solo, I counted not one, not two, but three pretty noticeable mistakes, such as when he couldn't even take his cowboy hat off his head in time so he looked like an utter fool with his hand above his head. Of course, it was followed by Milo/Witney doing THEIR solo, accompanied by Milo needing to pick Witney up and carry her. 

And that Team Dance was several weeks in. You shouldn't have noticeable mistakes, especially several in a less than ten second solo. 

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Heh.

I still remember that Country Night Team Dance that they did and when it came time for Bobby's solo, I counted not one, not two, but three pretty noticeable mistakes, such as when he couldn't even take his cowboy hat off his head in time.You shouldn't have noticeable mistakes, especially several in a less than ten second solo. 

Right?!?! 

I know not everyone has musicality or rhythm, but you’d think he’d have picked up some type of understanding about timing and/or rhythm by the time he did the show, especially considering the fact that he’s around music all day long - and gets paid for it!

Does he not sing along to the chorus of a song or recognize a tune during the first few bars? I don’t understand how someone is unable to identify a basic pattern or rhythm. I’m not asking him to write a song or play an instrument, but now I want to know how the hell he got his job. I wonder if he threw himself a pity party during the interview...

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Heh.

I still remember that Country Night Team Dance that they did and when it came time for Bobby's solo, I counted not one, not two, but three pretty noticeable mistakes, such as when he couldn't even take his cowboy hat off his head in time so he looked like an utter fool with his hand above his head. Of course, it was followed by Milo/Witney doing THEIR solo, accompanied by Milo needing to pick Witney up and carry her. 

And that Team Dance was several weeks in. You shouldn't have noticeable mistakes, especially several in a less than ten second solo. 

14 hours ago, Bridget said:

Right?!?! 

I know not everyone has musicality or rhythm, but you’d think he’d have picked up some type of timing by the time he did the show, especially considering how much time he spends around music.

He and Sharna were absolutely SHOCKED when Len gave them a 9 instead of a 10, the delusion was strong with those two.  

• Love 8

I don't care so much about the guest judging part but the let's bring back big production numbers but save them for week 3 bit is annoying.  Especially since there is also definitely a Disney week so at least two weeks of the season, not including finals, are big production numbers.  I'm also pretty sure Sailor's dance involves Christy again this week so they need to stop that now.

I will say though I don't know how who chooses who comes back or not.  I know there is a big opening number routine this week with extra dancers choreographed by Kat Burns (lots of tv stuff, but she has two Emmys for choreography for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and worked on that for four seasons), so she hired dancers for that.  Fun fact, Brittany Cherry assisted her.  I think Brittany Cherry worked with her a few times on Crazy Ex when they had to do ballroom-esque numbers since Kat isn't a ballroom choreographer.

But point is they are using Morgan from troupe as an extra dancer this week but I've seen no sign of Britt and Hayley seems done done and is just doing other things.

• Love 4
On 9/27/2019 at 12:53 AM, suebee12 said:

Found this Sharna interview the other day and thought it was a good "watch".....

Oh man, fuck this show. Cast 100 Sean Spicers but please do NOT fuck with the pros who keep your show alive season after season.

I cannot believe they did that to her. Are they punishing her for Bobby? If so, they're dumber than they seem.

You mean I have to endure Jenna and Gleb and they CUT Sharna and Artem with no warning like that? They are dead to me. And if I ever find out Tom B. knew or green-lit this utter BS move, I'm done with him too. I've loved him since I was a kid and he hosted Hollywood Squares, but there are lines. 

GIVE ME ARTEM AND SHARNA BACK OR WE ARE DONE, SHOW. What ungrateful nitwits. Doesn't even sound like a producer switch-up or changing of the guard. They just straight-up screwed over two amazing pros. And to think, Artem never even had a real shot at a trophy. I waited season after season for him to get someone halfway decent with a shot of winning. 

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I cannot believe they did that to her. Are they punishing her for Bobby? If so, they're dumber than they seem.

I can't imagine what they would be punishing her for. Isn't it the pro's job to help their celeb win?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Leah Remini can join Alfonso and Rashad in the "Never gonna go away" category.

At least she got rid of Kirstie Alley. But Alfonso and Rashad can both dance. Leah can't. Have you ever seen the episode of King of Queens where she tries to Salsa with her husband in a guest role?

1 hour ago, spanana said:

I don't care so much about the guest judging part but the let's bring back big production numbers but save them for week 3 bit is annoying.  Especially since there is also definitely a Disney week so at least two weeks of the season, not including finals, are big production numbers.  I'm also pretty sure Sailor's dance involves Christy again this week so they need to stop that now.

Christie can go far away now. I'm sick of her and she's making me sick of her fame hungry daughter.

46 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

You mean I have to endure Jenna and Gleb and they CUT Sharna and Artem with no warning like that?

That's the worst part to me --- that we're stuck with these two idiots, especially over Sharna and Artem. 

Edited by Toonces464
  • Love 5

I doubt Tom knew anything and even if he did, he has no control.  He's not a producer.  I am fully aware that pro dancers have to get cut here and there and I'm not always going to agree with their decisions, but it's also how they cut them.  The dancers are on the hook for months where they aren't allowed to take other jobs and then they tell them like two days before the reveal if they are in/out.   I am more upset about Artem losing his job but it's the not giving the dancers any respect part by giving them ample notice that really needs to be fixed.

Supposedly Bobby called the producers to make sure that Sharna being ousted had nothing to do with him and they claimed it didn't, but of course they aren't going to tell her the truth.  I think they just told her they couldn't find a partner to match her up with this season, which I'm sure is the same bull excuse they gave Artem.

Speaking of dirt and gossip from last season, Nikki Glaser revealed on Howard Stern that she and Bobby were hooking up last season until he eventually ghosted her.  Lol.  According to her they bonded over DWTS and being bad dancers or whatever and they fooled around for a bit (she claims they never actually slept together though) and then he just disappeared.

• Love 4

Just my opinion, but I think they went too far the other way in changing the voting. Having the voting stay open overnight was ridiculous, but they could/should have changed it to where voting ends, say, 2 hours after it airs(ends) on the west coast. That way, everyone who wants to vote(especially those who prefer to actually see the dances they are voting on) gets the opportunity to do so. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Just Carol said:

TPTB do punish the pros from time to time.  Cheryl Burke was ousted for a couple years because she spoke out about some stuff.  (Sorry, no links or specifics.)   It does happen.

I don't think she was ousted.  She left and was doing other things and I think she was trying to grow a career beyond DWTS and she did a couple of other shows, but since she's not a singer or actor, it all kind of petered out.  I don't think she was forced to leave though.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, spanana said:

I don't think she was ousted.  She left and was doing other things and I think she was trying to grow a career beyond DWTS and she did a couple of other shows, but since she's not a singer or actor, it all kind of petered out.  I don't think she was forced to leave though.

I didn't think she was either. She left the show to do Dance Moms and that stage show with Meryl, Charie and Kristy. When those petered out, she came back to DWTS. She also doesn't have her own studio to fall back on like some of the other former pros, as her studio closed a few years back due to problems with the landlord.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Toonces464 said:

I didn't think she was either. She left the show to do Dance Moms and that stage show with Meryl, Charie and Kristy. When those petered out, she came back to DWTS. She also doesn't have her own studio to fall back on like some of the other former pros, as her studio closed a few years back due to problems with the landlord.

She also briefly was on that show on one of the networks with Nicole S. and Joe Jonas where they had to learn to do different acts.  I don't entirely remember the point of it but like AGT type acts would come on and they had to vote on what they think they could do and couldn't do and the acts would teach them to do a routine and one of them would "win".

• Love 3