Type keyword(s) to search

General Gabbery: DWTS

• Start Topic

47 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Here are the celebrities that will be competing:

Capture.png

James Van Der Beek is the only person that I would be interested in.  Guess I will just watch his dances on youtube.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

James Van Der Beek is the only person that I would be interested in.  Guess I will just watch his dances on youtube.

I do love the meta of James doing the show after he played a fictional version of himself on Don't Trust the B... In Apartment A, who competed on and won DWTS. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
21 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I do love the meta of James doing the show after he played a fictional version of himself on Don't Trust the B... In Apartment A, who competed on and won DWTS. 

I thought he lost to Dean Cain, after drinking hallucinogenic tea?

(That show was the best)

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, MMLEsq said:

I have ZERO interest in watching Sean Spicer trying to redeem himself.   

Same. Those dances will be a good time to go do something else or change the channel or whatever. 

• Love 3

No Emma or Sharna or Gleb?

Sorry if this has already been discussed - I haven't been keeping up with the news or this board very well, but I'm shocked that Cheryl and Peta are there and Sharna's not (did any of those three quit by choice?)

• Love 3

I had more celebrities I knew and was rooting for last season. This season? I guess I'll root for James? Maybe Lauren, since she's one of the few names I recognize? That's about it.

I don't see Sean Spicer getting very far. I don't see him being a dancer, by any means, but the show could drag him through for a few weeks. I don't know about any of the other celebs or their capabilities. 

I guess there are a few more recognizable names this year, but not a lot that I really know THAT well. I've heard of Karamo, but never seen Queer Eye. I've heard of Hannah but never seen The Bachelorette. I know of The Supremes. I've heard of Ray Lewis and Lamar Odom. I do know Kel.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

No Emma or Sharna or Gleb?

Sorry if this has already been discussed - I haven't been keeping up with the news or this board very well, but I'm shocked that Cheryl and Peta are there and Sharna's not (did any of those three quit by choice?)

Emma & Gleb are still there, Sharna and Artem are not.

From their Instagram statements it seems like no, definitely didn’t leave by choice.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, tealeaves said:

Lamar Odom looked so bored on GMA and had a chip on his shoulder.  At least the others looked as if they were excited to be part of the show.

Yikes. The man has gone through A LOT physically and unfortunately that's the side effect from what his body went through. Hopefully, people can be understanding.

4 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I was irrationally excited when I saw the name Pasha on the pros list, but it's not Pasha Kovalev. Bummer!

I thought Pasha Kovalev was wonderful years back on SYTYCD and have often wondered why DWTS hasn't snapped him up as a pro!

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, HelenCrump said:

I thought Pasha Kovalev was wonderful years back on SYTYCD and have often wondered why DWTS hasn't snapped him up as a pro!

Same; him and Anya both. I know they are both older now, but Lacey, Chelsie, Dmitry, Jenna, Lindsay and Witney all came over very soon after their seasons, and I can't imagine Pasha/Anya weren't asked. Maybe they turned it down?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

That's where my mind went too. I'm hoping Kristin Ritter and Dreama Walker show up in the audience, in character, at some point.

• Love 6

I dont see how this cast is any different than previous seasons. We have had bigger names on other seasons. The show said they were going to work hard at getting big names but I dont see how any of the cast is any bigger than before. I wasnt expecting dwts to get Will Smith, Halle Berry, Madonna, or Brad Pitt big but I was hoping for atleast more B list contestants instead of more D and C.

• Love 6

Exactly. they needed to get away from last season, to save their face after the "winner", so they said "we're taking a break so the next season is bigger better because we are not spreading ourselves too thin"

instead we're getting a long break and... same ol' show.

even worse for me. usually I at least can put a face to one name in the cast. not this time. 

granted I live under proverbial rock: I don't watch TV, I don't really listen to current music. I stream stuff, I read stuff, I watch hockey. Now if they got an audible narrator... LOL

Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 4

Well, it looks like the "big" change from previous seasons is that now we won't know the pairings until the premiere. I guess someone will have to take one for the team and stalk these guys' Instagrams or Twitters, LOL! 

• LOL 1
18 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Well, it looks like the "big" change from previous seasons is that now we won't know the pairings until the premiere. I guess someone will have to take one for the team and stalk these guys' Instagrams or Twitters, LOL! 

I'm sure between the big-mouth pros and the paparazzi/media, the pairings will be out within hours of being made.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Here are some of my initial speculations based on watching GMA and seeing a picture of the cast online at the studio - we'll see how accurate I am on the season premiere! 😂

1. Spicey is REALLY short, so his female pro should be pretty short. So I'm tentatively thinking it will be Witney. Although Daniella (the new pro) seems pretty short too...

2. Karamo's going to be a contender. In that dance contest he had some great moves. 

3. Besides Spicey and Witney, here are my predictions for the pairs:

Some combination of Ray and Kel with Cheryl and Jenna. I'm leaning towards Ray/Cheryl and Kel/Jenna

Sasha and Ally

Alan and Hannah B

Peta and Lamar

Keo and Mary

Val and Lauren

(or...maybe Keo/Lauren and Val/Mary...in the cast picture, Val wasn't there and neither was Mary as she was on location)

Some combination of Gleb and Brandon with Christie or Kate

Lindsay and Karamo

Emma and James

• Love 2
9 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

So evidently, Sean Spicer is going to be this year's most controversial celebrity contestant. God help whatever pro gets stuck with him!

TomBergeron is not happy with having Sean Spicer either.  He actually thought they should stay away from posting anyone political.  I posted an article that appeared in today’s New York Post that quotes Bergeron in the Media thread.

• Love 10

BoycottDWTS is trending on Twitter right now. Spicer's involvement is even being discussed on political shows. A lot of people are bewildered and/or downright pissed by his involvement. It's a new low.

I realize they've had political figures on in the past but this is different to me. Spicer is on another level. He doesn't deserve redemption.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
38 minutes ago, Kail said:

BoycottDWTS is trending on Twitter right now. Spicer's involvement is even being discussed on political shows. A lot of people are bewildered and/or downright pissed by his involvement. It's a new low.

I realize they've had political figures on in the past but this is different to me. Spicer is on another level. He doesn't deserve redemption.

They needed to come back strong after the disaster that was Season 27 and no spring season. The casting of Spicer, along with Tom's public reaction to it, may be the final nail in the show's coffin. Not to mention all the unhappy Sharna and Artem fans.

Edited by Toonces464
  • Love 12
18 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

Spicer, Artem gone and another season of dealing with Fifth Harmony AND Bachelor fanbases? Holy crap. Kill me now.

Eta:James might be the only reason I consider watching.

I just texted my cousin with the exact same talking points! 

I am quite thrilled that there isn’t a single social media influencer (I hate that it’s even a “thing”!) dancing this season. 

Several years ago, I sat near James at the Yard House when he was visiting San Diego. He was dying for everyone to notice him, which I have always found to be really obnoxious behavior. He’s also been making the rounds on ABC game shows and doesn’t come across as particularly exciting to watch. Maybe he’s always tired because he has five kids under the age of eight?

That said, I will be tuning in to see my favorite TV dad, Tom Bergeron. 💚

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, HelenCrump said:

Because the Brits beat us to it. He's been on the parent show Strictly Come Dancing for years now.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Because the Brits beat us to it. He's been on the parent show Strictly Come Dancing for years now.

He left after setting records in perfect scores and average scores with Ashley Roberts of The Pussycat Dolls last year 😍 He recently married his former Strictly partner Rachel Riley and they're expecting a baby later this year ❤️

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Maya S said:

He left after setting records in perfect scores and average scores with Ashley Roberts of The Pussycat Dolls last year 😍 He recently married his former Strictly partner Rachel Riley and they're expecting a baby later this year ❤️

I know. I was just in the Strictly thread. I had forgotten that he's not returning for 2019, but I didn't know that he'd gotten married and is now preparing for the birth of his and Rachel's child.

1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

I know. I was just in the Strictly thread. I had forgotten that he's not returning for 2019, but I didn't know that he'd gotten married and is now preparing for the birth of his and Rachel's child.

They're very good at keeping their private lives private 🙂 but Pasha and Rachel did reveal when they got married in Vegas a little over a mouth ago and I think they mentioned their baby is arriving in November or December.  I can see why Pasha left, not only would he be leaving on a high note after dancing with Ashley but he would also be able to prepare with Rachel for their baby's arrival.  I just wish he received a proper goodbye, he always seemed like such a nice guy and great partner, very supportive and patient.  

• Useful 1
15 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

They needed to come back strong after the disaster that was Season 27 and no spring season. The casting of Spicer, along with Tom's public reaction to it, may be the final nail in the show's coffin. Not to mention all the unhappy Sharna and Artem fans.

Does anyone know why Sharna and Artem were dumped?

• Love 2
On 8/22/2019 at 2:26 PM, jhlipton said:

This cast runs from the boring to the repulsive.  I'm out this season.

That sums it up pretty well.   I'm torn.   I look forward to the new season, and now with this bunch . . . . .

I don't even know most of them, and the ones that I do, I dislike.  

• Love 2
On 8/22/2019 at 1:26 PM, jhlipton said:

This cast runs from the boring to the repulsive.  I'm out this season.

The football player that was on trial for murder seems to be going under the controversial-radar because of Sean Spicer, and that is all that needs to be said.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 10

I think part of that may be because, if you don't follow sports (I don't, for instance), you may not be aware of Lewis or his history.  Spicer, on the other hand, was part of the regular news cycle because of his role in the administration, and they're always in the news as it is. 

That said, however, now I know about that, I fully agree that he shouldn't be getting any pass, either. 

• Love 10

I need some memory help. There was another competitive dancing show that was on a cable channel, I don't remember which or the name of the show. But it had 2 or 3 pros who worked with non-celebrity, non-dancers, for about a month, then they went to a pro (I think) competition and performed their one dance they had learned with a different pro. I thought one of the pros on that show was named Pasha, but I may be very wrong. But I really did enjoy that program and oh, hell yeah, I would have done it if I had ever been offered the opportunity.

Does anyone remember the name of the show, the pro and what cable channel it was on? Thanks.

On 8/24/2019 at 7:26 PM, friendperidot said:

I need some memory help. There was another competitive dancing show that was on a cable channel, I don't remember which or the name of the show. But it had 2 or 3 pros who worked with non-celebrity, non-dancers, for about a month, then they went to a pro (I think) competition and performed their one dance they had learned with a different pro. I thought one of the pros on that show was named Pasha, but I may be very wrong. But I really did enjoy that program and oh, hell yeah, I would have done it if I had ever been offered the opportunity.

Does anyone remember the name of the show, the pro and what cable channel it was on? Thanks.

Ballroom Bootcamp, if I remember correctly. And those pros were hardcore.

• Love 2

If they really want to save this show they should take a look at Tony Dovolani's IG account. Ballroom With a Twist starring Tony, Karina, Anna, Damian, Chelsie and Tristan? Sign me up for that! 

I still maintain that one of the biggest reasons the show has gone so far downhill is the pro cast. No one they have now comes close to the original pros. If they wanted to come back strong, they should've brought back a few of them this season. They had no problem sending Sharna and Artem packing, no reason they couldn't have done the same with any of the others to make room, including the two newbies.

Edited by Toonces464
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Ballroom Bootcamp, if I remember correctly. And those pros were hardcore.

that was it! I loved that show, I loved it, because the non dancer, actually learned the dance, they had a few weeks and they just concentrated on one dance, but they could dance it.

17 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

that was it! I loved that show, I loved it, because the non dancer, actually learned the dance, they had a few weeks and they just concentrated on one dance, but they could dance it.

That's because the pros didn't mess around.  They were drill sergeants who expected their students to listen to the instruction and put in the work to learn the routines -- OR ELSE. Gocha Chertkoev and his wife (whose name escapes me) were especially tough, and you really saw the results.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, friendperidot said:

that was the dancer I remembered. And the show was on TLC for 2 seasons. But if you want to learn to dance, don't you want someone who's going to really teach? Well, I guess some of us would.

Yeah, if I were to pick from the current DWTS pro lineup (and if I as a gay man were allowed a same-sex partner), I'd probably have to go with Alan, since he's the kind of patient pro I'd need who'd still expect me to work my butt off. Among the ladies, it would probably be Emma or Cheryl out of the current lineup,  Of course, If I REALLY had my pick, it would be Louis (male) or either Kym or Anna (female).

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:46 PM, Toonces464 said:

I still maintain that one of the biggest reasons the show has gone so far downhill is the pro cast. No one they have now comes close to the original pros. If they wanted to come back strong, they should've brought back a few of them this season. They had no problem sending Sharna and Artem packing, no reason they couldn't have done the same with any of the others to make room, including the two newbies.

The show's been on since 2005.  14 years - that is a long time.  They do have to rotate the cast along the way.  People move on.  It may not even possible they can get some of the older pros back. 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Yeah, if I were to pick from the current DWTS pro lineup (and if I as a gay man were allowed a same-sex partner), I'd probably have to go with Alan, since he's the kind of patient pro I'd need who'd still expect me to work my butt off. Among the ladies, it would probably be Emma or Cheryl out of the current lineup,  Of course, If I REALLY had my pick, it would be Louis (male) or either Kym or Anna (female).

I'd definitely pick Alan, Tony or Tristan. Or any of the female pros 🙂

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, tealeaves said:

The show's been on since 2005.  14 years - that is a long time.  They do have to rotate the cast along the way.  People move on.  It may not even possible they can get some of the older pros back. 

Many have said they'd like to come back. Karina was on KTLA just a few days ago and said she'd love to come back.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I'd probably have to go with Alan, since he's the kind of patient pro I'd need who'd still expect me to work my butt off. Among the ladies, it would probably be Emma or Cheryl out of the current lineup,  Of course, If I REALLY had my pick, it would be Louis (male) or either Kym or Anna (female).

I think I would choose pretty much the same pros. I think Louis would be a fantastic teacher and if I could have a male and female, Louis and Anna would really be a power duo for teaching an almost know nothing, but I can't, I have pushing 70 yr old bad feet.  I always loved dancing of all sorts, and I think had I started 60 some years ago, I would have been a contenda! But, alas, time has marched on and left me behind.

But, on the other hand, if I had started 60 some years ago, my foot problems might even be worse!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

Since political figures are already tweeting support for Sean Spicer, we should probably expect him to stay in the cast for the duration.  Tom Bergeron was right to be concerned.

And he has Karamo who is a gay black man supporting him too which will make him look even more appeasing to the audience. I just cant with this. No wonder he got JJ as a partner because they both full of sh*t.