Type keyword(s) to search

General Gabbery: DWTS

• Start Topic

On 8/24/2019 at 10:26 PM, friendperidot said:

I need some memory help. There was another competitive dancing show that was on a cable channel, I don't remember which or the name of the show. But it had 2 or 3 pros who worked with non-celebrity, non-dancers, for about a month, then they went to a pro (I think) competition and performed their one dance they had learned with a different pro. I thought one of the pros on that show was named Pasha, but I may be very wrong. But I really did enjoy that program and oh, hell yeah, I would have done it if I had ever been offered the opportunity.

Does anyone remember the name of the show, the pro and what cable channel it was on? Thanks.

Ballroom Bootcamp

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this show. In fact, I still have all the episodes from their only season, on DVD that I transferred from old VCR tape. Christian Perry, one of the instructors, is a swing champion and has appeared on DWTS in season 4, He choreographed the group swing number back when there were group dances with all the competitors and their pros.

Here is Christian Perry with his partner (wife) guest performance on DWTS........

Christian Perry swing champion

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, vdw84 said:

And he has Karamo who is a gay black man supporting him too which will make him look even more appeasing to the audience. I just cant with this. No wonder he got JJ as a partner because they both full of sh*t.

Well now Spicer gets to proclaim that he has a black, gay friend, so that should get him some votes. Remember when they gave that bigot Paula Dean Louis as a partner? Seems to be their tactic.

• Love 3

Spicer has ZERO chance of winning.  He will probably be the first voted off.

Word from the set has it that James Vanderbeek can really dance and is emerging as the front runner.  And he has the name recognition.

Edited by tealeaves
  • Love 8

From Refinery29.com:

”Queer Eye star Karamo Brown has deleted his Twitter account following his controversial comments calling Sean Spicer “a good guy,” and fighting the backlash that ensued.”

Whether or not the show is losing credibility or star power, I really hope Sean Spicer isn’t freakin Bristol Palin 2.0 for about 299955 reasons.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, stonehaven said:

With the passing of Valerie Harper, I just hope the show does a nice mention of her time on the show.

Valerie Harper was one of my all time favorite no chance of winning contestants on this show. I so enjoyed watching her dance through everything she was going through. There was so much beauty and grace and hope.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, TeeMo said:

Valerie Harper was one of my all time favorite no chance of winning contestants on this show. I so enjoyed watching her dance through everything she was going through. There was so much beauty and grace and hope.

Soon after I read the article that she died I decided to look up when she was on DWTS. It was 2013 - six years ago! Tristan and everyone from the show treated her so gently and so wonderfully and that was when the doctors had told her she likely only had months to live. She outlived that timeline by so much.

• Love 17
On 8/21/2019 at 9:14 AM, LexieLily said:

I was irrationally excited when I saw the name Pasha on the pros list, but it's not Pasha Kovalev. Bummer!

Pasha Kovalev is choreographing for this week's episode of SYTYCD which will be airing September 2nd.

• Love 2
On 8/29/2019 at 2:28 PM, boyznkatz said:

Well now Spicer gets to proclaim that he has a black, gay friend, so that should get him some votes. Remember when they gave that bigot Paula Dean Louis as a partner? Seems to be their tactic.

Yeah if they really wanted to be bold they should have given Paula Dean to Keo but then again they would have pro. became besties by the end of the season and all is forgiven. U know dwts loves making disgusting people into saints.

On 8/31/2019 at 12:48 PM, JKLM said:

Getting bigger names is pretty much impossible. Celebrities view the show as something you do only because the career isn't going well.

or ur retired from the entertainent business as the reason they get alot of football players and older stars who is done with the business and got time on their hands. Dwts is more for the hasbeens, career starters or retirees.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, vdw84 said:

Or ur retired from the entertainment business as the reason they get a lot of football players and older stars who is done with the business and got time on their hands. DWTS is more for the has-beens, career starters or retirees.

Which is why Cher's reaction to being asked to compete on the show was basically "Fuck that bullcrap! I'm an OSCAR-WINNING actress and a star -- why would I EVER need to do this show?"  I tweeted her in response that maybe she should have a word or two with fellow OSCAR-WINNING actress Marlee Matlin.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Which is why Cher's reaction to being asked to compete on the show was basically "Fuck that bullcrap! I'm an OSCAR-WINNING actress and a star -- why would I EVER need to do this show?"  I tweeted her in response that maybe she should have a word or two with fellow OSCAR-WINNING actress Marlee Matlin.

Dying to know...what was Cher's reaction?

• Love 1
22 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I guess she had no objection to her son being on the show? They've had some grammy winners as well. Gladys Knight and Wynona Judd come to mind. They have had some stars in the past. Just not now.

• Love 3
On 9/3/2019 at 9:59 AM, boyznkatz said:

I guess she had no objection to her son being on the show? They've had some grammy winners as well. Gladys Knight and Wynona Judd come to mind. They have had some stars in the past. Just not now.

Was this before her son was on the show or after because it was after, Im sure her real reason for not wanting to do the show is how they humiliated her son on the show. He was treaty pretty bad,.

On 8/29/2019 at 9:11 PM, Bridget said:

From Refinery29.com:

”Queer Eye star Karamo Brown has deleted his Twitter account following his controversial comments calling Sean Spicer “a good guy,” and fighting the backlash that ensued.”

Whether or not the show is losing credibility or star power, I really hope Sean Spicer isn’t freakin Bristol Palin 2.0 for about 299955 reasons.

Although I feel like a person should be able to support who they want, I have no idea what Karamo was thinking. Spicer has said some pretty disgusting things about minorities and the gay community and with him being a double minority and singing Sean praises shows me that he is going to comeoff fake like his pro partner JJ. Karamo only saving grace at this point if turnsout being a phenomenal dancer because right now he is rubbing me the wrong way on a persona standpoint.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, vdw84 said:

Although I feel like a person should be able to support who they want, I have no idea what Karamo was thinking. Spicer has said some pretty disgusting things about minorities and the gay community and with him being a double minority and singing Sean praises shows me that he is going to comeoff fake like his pro partner JJ. Karamo only saving grace at this point if turnsout being a phenomenal dancer because right now he is rubbing me the wrong way on a persona standpoint.

He is a social worker (or was one before his show), so I'm guessing he is used to not taking sides. I don't know if he actually likes the guy, or is just used to being neutral. 

I'm not making excuses for him, but that might be the likely explanation. Anyway, there are far more disgusting people to loathe this season 😞

Edited by boyznkatz
1 hour ago, vdw84 said:

Was this before her son was on the show or after because it was after, Im sure her real reason for not wanting to do the show is how they humiliated her son on the show. He was treaty pretty bad,.

Was she surprised? They have always treated minorities of any kind poorly on this show. If I had a transgender kid, I sure wouldn't want them to do DWTS.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

Was she surprised? They have always treated minorities of any kind poorly on this show. If I had a transgender kid, I sure wouldn't want them to do DWTS.

Yeah, this show isnt a good fit for transgender community. Dwts is not that open and I just think for u to put urself through that is just being naive. 

1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

I'm not making excuses for him, but that might be the likely explanation. Anyway, there are far more disgusting people to loathe this season

Producers care more about drama and controversy than actual good dancing and talent. That is why I tell people dwts is no longer a danceshow to me, it has turned into trashy reality show. Its no different than all the Housewives shows, its about drama. The show stop being about the art of dance a long time ago and this is why the ratings will continue to decline.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, JKLM said:

That Oscar win was a long time ago. Became kinda slow subsequently.

So was Cher's. Your point?

8 hours ago, vdw84 said:

It was before. LONG before, and before she herself was a guest judge on the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

They used to have some actual stars. Kristi Yamaguchi, Emmitt Smith, Shawn Johnson, Meryl and Charlie, etc. were all big stars in their fields. Even people like Nicole S. and Gavin DeGraw and Normani were on the pop charts when they were on. So what happened? When somebody like Hannah Brown is suddenly a big deal to them, you know they can't get anyone decently famous anymore.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 4
On 9/4/2019 at 5:25 PM, vdw84 said:

Producers care more about drama and controversy than actual good dancing and talent. That is why I tell people dwts is no longer a danceshow to me, it has turned into trashy reality show. Its no different than all the Housewives shows, its about drama. The show stop being about the art of dance a long time ago and this is why the ratings will continue to decline.

I think age has more to do with the ratings decline and the different ways to view the show.  But you are also correct.

• Love 2

Voting change: only live (east coast) votes will count

https://www.wdtvpress.com/abc/pressrelease/dancing-with-the-stars-season-premiere-2019-season-premiere-9-16/?fbclid=IwAR3el5BKILVS49LGbalVk4hbpu7GyT5lsW9UbmxPrEKAWlodRFnfBO9UtVk

“For the show’s first broadcast, there will not be a viewing audience vote, and only the judges will score the routines. Those scores will carry over and be combined with judges’ scores from week two, which also marks the first weekly live viewing audience vote of the season (via abc.com and SMS/text) – and the first elimination. The live votes will occur each week only during the live broadcast in the EDT/CDT time zones (but fans in all U.S. time zones may vote within that window). 

Moving forward with each subsequent Monday night, the live vote combined with the judges’ scores will be revealed during the broadcast”

3 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Voting change: only live (east coast) votes will count

https://www.wdtvpress.com/abc/pressrelease/dancing-with-the-stars-season-premiere-2019-season-premiere-9-16/?fbclid=IwAR3el5BKILVS49LGbalVk4hbpu7GyT5lsW9UbmxPrEKAWlodRFnfBO9UtVk

“For the show’s first broadcast, there will not be a viewing audience vote, and only the judges will score the routines. Those scores will carry over and be combined with judges’ scores from week two, which also marks the first weekly live viewing audience vote of the season (via abc.com and SMS/text) – and the first elimination. The live votes will occur each week only during the live broadcast in the EDT/CDT time zones (but fans in all U.S. time zones may vote within that window). 

Moving forward with each subsequent Monday night, the live vote combined with the judges’ scores will be revealed during the broadcast”

Another nail in the show's coffin.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Dancing With The Stars: Juniors has been cancelled:

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/dancing-with-the-stars-juniors/

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/dancing-with-the-stars-juniors-abc-cancelled-renewed-season-two/

In September 2019, ABC decided to cancel the series after one season

That's a shame. I actually liked it better than I liked the main show (especially with Mandy as the only judge on either show I enjoyed listening to because she was the only one who knew how to give specific, constructive feedback that the kids could actually understand and apply). Maybe Mandy can replace Julianne or Carrie Ann on the main show now?

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

That's a shame. I actually liked it better than I liked the main show (especially with Mandy as the only judge on either show I enjoyed listening to because she was the only one who knew how to give specific, constructive feedback that the kids could actually understand and apply). Maybe Mandy can replace Julianne or Carrie Ann on the main show now?

I could do without Mandy's bump n grind numbers with non-ballroom dancers attempting ballroom but I too really loved her as a judge, she was great at giving technical feedback without making it sound too complicated for the average viewer.  Maybe if the main show survives to another season and they decide to go back to four judges, Mandy could come back as a regular judge.  

On 9/9/2019 at 7:48 PM, kitcloudkicker said:

The live votes will occur each week only during the live broadcast in the EDT/CDT time zones (but fans in all U.S. time zones may vote within that window). 

So wait, I don't understand. Doesn't that mean that the West Coast will essentially be voting based on either the prior week's performance or just who they happen to like most? Because the live voting and the judges' votes are what will dictate who gets bounced that same night, right?

• Love 3
On 9/9/2019 at 8:48 PM, kitcloudkicker said:

..... The live votes will occur each week only during the live broadcast in the EDT/CDT time zones (but fans in all U.S. time zones may vote within that window). 

Fans in the Pacific  and Mountain time zones will be voting without actually seeing the performances. Those time zone votes will be strictly popular votes, not votes for performance.

This change in voting just doesn't seem right to me.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Fans in the Pacific  and Mountain time zones will be voting without actually seeing the performances. Those time zone votes will be strictly popular votes, not votes for performance.

To me, it seems to defeat the purpose of having better, fairer results that don't favor popularity.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, luvthepros said:

The people who will be taking the time to do this will be “superfans” of a particular person and would have been voting for their person no matter what the performance was anyway.

What it will do is lock out west coast casual voters. Most people won’t take the time to remember to vote. There’ll be less votes overall.

They haven’t disclosed when the voting window is. If it’s the whole show, people who dance early have more time to get votes (or later dancers are just relying on popularity votes.) If it’s a 10 min window at the end of the show, they’ll REALLY cut down on the number of votes they get.

Also, what is up with the weird styling in the promotional material they’ve been putting up? It’s like they’re trying to make the show seem even more stodgy and boring. Its like they decided to accept that their audience is conservative senior citizens and leaned way the hell in?

Why is everyone dressed like they’re going to a funeral?

• Love 5
8 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

The people who will be taking the time to do this will be “superfans” of a particular person and would have been voting for their person no matter what the performance was anyway.

What it will do is lock out west coast casual voters. Most people won’t take the time to remember to vote. There’ll be less votes overall.

They haven’t disclosed when the voting window is. If it’s the whole show, people who dance early have more time to get votes (or later dancers are just relying on popularity votes.) If it’s a 10 min window at the end of the show, they’ll REALLY cut down on the number of votes they get.

Also, what is up with the weird styling in the promotional material they’ve been putting up? It’s like they’re trying to make the show seem even more stodgy and boring. Its like they decided to accept that their audience is conservative senior citizens and leaned way the hell in?

Why is everyone dressed like they’re going to a funeral?

Black is a slimming color. I'd say they're dressed in black because that would be the most universally flattering color for all of them.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Black is a slimming color. I'd say they're dressed in black because that would be the most universally flattering color for all of them.

Hmm, given that it looks flattering on none of them, I might argue the “wisdom” in that conventional wisdom.

It looks drab and sad. Like they’re advertising a mid season replacement workplace drama about sad lawyers, that will make it through 6 episodes before inevitably getting canceled.

• LOL 4

The news about Christie Brinkley reminds me of the changes in Season 8.

Originally, the season was advertised as the first U.S. season where a husband and wife would compete against each other: rodeo champion Ty Murray and singer-songwriter Jewel. The two had married the previous year after a ten-year courtship. However, just prior to the series, Jewel fractured both her tibias and was unable to perform. She was replaced on the show by Playboy model Holly Madison. Murray chose to continue on the show, and Jewel appeared during the season as a special musical guest.

Nancy O'Dell, the then co-host of Access Hollywood, was also originally announced to be on the show, but was forced to withdraw from the competition due to a torn meniscus, which required surgery. She was replaced by Melissa Rycroft, a former Dallas Cowboys cheerleader who won season 13 of The Bachelor. She only had two days to practice her first dance.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

So weekly live voting is the change? LOL

How silly of me to think they’d introduce a Judge’s or America’s Save, a weekly dance off between the bottom two and/or have the judges scores count more.

I’m convinced now more than ever that they want this show to die. Here’s to more Bobby Bones type winners.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, doLLish said:

Here’s to more Bobby Bones type winners.

The voting has been the same more or less since the beginning and yet we've only had a "Bobby Bones" winner once in over 10 years and 20+ seasons. We will only have another Bobby Bones winner if there is another person cast with an insanely devoted fanbase. who can't dance for shit.

And there's no way to predict or combat against that. Unless of course they eliminate public voting completely and that will spur on its own issues with fans crying conspiracy and judges' bias and rigged, etc. 

How silly of me to think they’d introduce a Judge’s or America’s Save, a weekly dance off between the bottom two and/or have the judges scores count more.

They did the judges' save thing one season many years ago. And it didn't really make that much of a difference because again it only works if an obviously very week dancer is actually in the Bottom 2, so the judges can save the stronger one.

But when you have a situation like Bobby and even Joe for weeks last season where they're not even in the Bottom, the judges still then end up having to choose between two decent dancers and sending one home. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

So weekly live voting is the change? LOL

I’m convinced now more than ever that they want this show to die. Here’s to more Bobby Bones type winners.

They should just let the show die already.

I think this live vote thing is going to piss off a lot of people. I don't bother with voting, so it doesn't affect me, but I do feel bad for people who actually want to vote.  Are they going to bother if they haven't even seen the dances?

• Love 5