Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Reunion Part 1

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Kate started to deny the drinking and than Rocky talked over her again for the umpteenth time and she just through he hands up in the air.

True. I can't see any boss in the real world challenging even the most difficult employee using the line, "I call bullshit."

I have had more than one boss that would say exactly that. Luckily never to me. Though at least one of them would add fucking to the bullshit. Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9

I recall Emile getting quite a lot of flack over that at the time. Personally, I'm willing to forgive because (1) Connie seems to have done so, (2) he apologized, and (3) he admitted on the reunion that there was no excuse for that kind of behavior rather than getting defensive and trying to deflect blame elsewhere. A little self-awareness and genuine contrition goes a long way.

To point 1), a victim's forgiveness is never justification for any one else's forgiveness.

And also, in addition to calling Connie a whore, Emile snapped at her to do her fucking job. Granted, she dished it out too.

What they said:

Emile

You talk way too much.

Connie

I can understand why Rocky gave up on you, because you really are a little bitch.

Emile

Why don't you do your fucking job, you whore.

There's something about how Emile said this and how he quickly went for that choice of words that, to me, indicates a deep-seated maladjusted view of women.  Combine that with the douchey (to put it mildly) things he said to Rocky on their "date," and it's not a pretty picture.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 10

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I played back the recording. Here's the dialogue:

Kate:

Tell me. I will stand behind whatever I've Tweeted.

Andy

Well, I have some Tweets that you have sent.

(reading from Kate's Tweets):

"Rocky thinks her job is being sexual with every male on board. There's a name for that job and it's not stewardess."

"I was so surprised when I found Rocky's mermaid tale. She just doesn't seem like a girl that enjoys keeping her legs together."

[to Rocky:] Did any of those Tweets that I just read irritate you?

Rocky:

Yeah, it's just funny.  Yeah.

Kate:

Well, anyways, I am so sorry if my menial Twitter following offended you.

Rocky:

You are evil.  You are just straight up evil.

[cut to commercial]

Kate did not call Rocky or anyone a "whore." She stood behind her words and apologized if they were hurtful. Her smirky tone isn't ideal, but this is more than most of the other characters on Below Deck, notably Rocky, has ever done.   I can imagine Rocky's reaction if Kate called her "evil."

LMAO. Okay, fine, she did not use the word 'whore' specifically. I do not find my interpretation of Kate's comments to be off-base or outright wrong. I still found what she tweeted absolutely disgusting and I will stick to that opinion. Kate was full of shit with that apology and it was not a real one so no, I will not give her credit for it. So agree to disagree and all of that jazz.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 5

Someone saying that in my workplace would be fired. In fact, someone in a very high position just was fired for doing almost the same thing.

Different workplaces have different cultures and different ideas about what's acceptable. And it is often about the context of the exchange.

• Love 5

For all his tough talk and machismo, when Leon had the opportunity to come on the reunion show and defend himself he bailed. I guess he feels above it all and he doesn't care if other people define him to the show's viewers rather than him defining himself. I guess he doesn't really care what we viewers think of him.

Also, on another matter, much as I grew to dislike Rocky, her performance of "Ironing the Captain's Shorts" was a highlight of the season for me.

Edited by bencr
  • Love 4

For all his tough talk and machismo, when Leon had the opportunity to come on the reunion show and defend himself he bailed. I guess he feels above it all and he doesn't care if other people define him to the show's viewers rather than him defining himself. I guess he doesn't really care what we viewers think of him.

Also, on another matter, much as I grew to dislike Rocky, her performance of "Ironing the Captain's Shorts" was a highlight of the season for me.

I just can't see Rocky taking care of skid marked underwear.

I just want to clarify something I feel got a little blown out of proportion... I am the one who said "dumb" and then apologized within the same post. When I said dumb it was only in reference to the fact that if Rocky hooked up with Eddie after charter and after the way he treated her then that is dumb, Eddie was getting what he wanted out of the situation, so he played it in his favor.

I then re-read what I wrote and realized it could be misconstrued as me calling all women who go back to someone as "dumb", that's not what I meant, but I've been on enough boards, not even necessarily this one, where someone inadvertently insults someone else by making a statement like that... So I simply clarified at that moment instead of waiting until somone was insulted.

• Love 7

To point 1), a victim's forgiveness is never justification for any one else's forgiveness.

And also, in addition to calling Connie a whore, Emile told her to go fuck herself. Granted, she dished it out too.

What they said:

Emile

You talk way too much.

Connie

I can understand why Rocky gave up on you, because you really are a little bitch.

Emile

Why don't you do your fucking job, you whore.

There's something about how Emile said this and how he quickly went for that choice of words that, to me, indicates a deep-seated maladjusted view of women.  Combine that with the douchey (to put it mildly) things he said to Rocky on their "date," and it's not a pretty picture.

If he would have called her a "bitch" back it would have been tit for tat but I so agree with you about his view of women with his choice of words.

• Love 6

Yes, "ITCS" with Bravo repeating it over and over in promos became a bit of an earworm for me.

I couldn't help but notice how much sun damage all the women have to their skin, particularly Kate. Amy looked good, but you could also see it starting with her on her arms and legs. They're a very good PSA for liberal use of sunscreen.

• Love 1

Another reason I can't with Rocky is that she sees thing in absolutes. She thinks Leon is a great guy so he can't be held responsible for anything be it a dirty oven causing a fire or his own words. She hates Kate so she is responsible for everything bad be it a fire or Rocky hating her job despite the fact that we saw Kate try to help Rocky and get attitude in return and that Kate was quick to complement Rocky when she did her job well (hell she even complemented her on the plating for the final meal) despite not personally liking her.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 14

Andy looks so underwater with these reunion cast members, the only one he seems to engage is batshit crazy Rocky, of course. Captain Lee is leagues above him and I can't wait for part 2.  I want to hear the captain say jello cheeks would have been fired, and why she wasn't (I saw this teased somewhere).  And rocket-to-ruin does have jello cheeks.  I wonder if she sent the video of her epic dive off the boat in her underwear to Sea World as an audition tape.

I get Kate, she needs her staff to do their assigned tasks, and more if they have any ambition.  She was way more lenient to rocket than I would have been given that there is really no one to take up that asshat's slack but her and one other person.

I have had several bosses that would not have allowed her back on the boat after that immature display of stripping off her clothes and leaving her job.  Even if no other boat was around to rescue her (which conveniently there was).  WHY was she allowed to continue working on Eros?  WHY God, WHY??  I would have lured her to the top deck one dark evening when all the guests and crew were tucked away and given her a gentle nudge into mermaid-hood.

• Love 4

I have had several bosses that would not have allowed her back on the boat after that immature display of stripping off her clothes and leaving her job.  Even if no other boat was around to rescue her (which conveniently there was).  WHY was she allowed to continue working on Eros?  WHY God, WHY?? 

Same reason Kate wasn't fired for penis towel.  Or Eddie (yet) for his bald faced lies. Or Connie for making a mockery of her job/Eros with the really, really stupid smearing of the peanut butter.  Really stupid.  He can't fire 'em unless Bravo wants them fired.

This show should be called Below Dicks because they're all dicks.  Except Amy.  And if she remains friends with Kate I'll be rethinking her, too.

• Love 4

Since it was Connie, that threw the first unnecessary punch with the nasty, "you're a little bitch".  I don't understand why it's shocking that Emil would throw out a knee jerk insult right back.  I think both "bitch" and "whore" are an insult directed generally at women.  There are many other much more demeaning words he could've used and Connie clearly isn't a "whore".  So if I were Connie, I would've taken all of that all into consideration.  And I'd have realized that had I called someone a little bitch, something possibly nastier could be hurled right back.. 

I agree. And if Connie was owed an apology, so was Emile. Connie saying what she did was not okay and if she was surprised that Emile responded in kind...well IDK. I know that if I call someone a name, they will likely respond and call me a name.

• Love 6

I wonder if she sent the video of her epic dive off the boat in her underwear to Sea World as an audition tape.

I hear Tilikum is a movie star, and some of his past trainers have gotten a LOT of attention from the public. Maybe she could make a special request to work with him...

• Love 2

Before Connie called him a little bitch, he stormed/sulked out of the mess ignoring Connie and Dave, and not acknowledging Eddie's instructions. Connie went out to assist as she had been told and he was tossing stuff around and started bitching at her about not needing help even though she was told; to me Connie accurately described him as behaving like a little bitch.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6

Same reason Kate wasn't fired for penis towel.  Or Eddie (yet) for his bald faced lies. Or Connie for making a mockery of her job/Eros with the really, really stupid smearing of the peanut butter.  Really stupid.  He can't fire 'em unless Bravo wants them fired.

This show should be called Below Dicks because they're all dicks.  Except Amy.  And if she remains friends with Kate I'll be rethinking her, too.

Eddie lying to his crewmates about his relationship status is not a fireable offense in any work environment.  Having the relationship might be a fireable offense if this is a workplace that prohibits intimate relationships between supervisors and subordinates, but that depends on the employer's policy. Simply lying about his personal life is not enough for him to lose his job.

Since it was Connie, that threw the first unnecessary punch with the nasty, "you're a little bitch".  I don't understand why it's shocking that Emil would throw out a knee jerk insult right back.  I think both "bitch" and "whore" are an insult directed generally at women.  There are many other much more demeaning words he could've used and Connie clearly isn't a "whore".  So if I were Connie, I would've taken all of that all into consideration.  And I'd have realized that had I called someone a little bitch, something possibly nastier could be hurled right back.. 

A woman calling a man a "bitch" does not have nearly the same charge as a man calling a woman a "whore."  

And the fact that Connie might have expected a retort doesn't make the retort acceptable.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 5

Kate did not leave her JOB.  Nor did Eddie or Connie.

• Love 8

Kate did not leave her JOB.  Nor did Eddie or Connie.

The question was:  why wasn't Rocky fired. The answer is because Lee can't fire any of them.  Bravo can. (FWIW Rocky should have been fired.)

As far as what Kate or Eddie or Connie did, they all made the Ohana and Eros look foolish by their unprofessionalism. Fireable offense? Kate and Rocky yes not sure about ConEd, although if their contracts include an Employment at Will clause, that may muddy the water for them and pave the path for them to be auffed.

If this was the real world and I owned Ohana and found out Kate disrespected a guest by folding his blanket to look like a penis, I'd tell the Captain to get rid of her and I wouldn't care how he did it. If I owned a hotel and I found out one of my housekeepers liked to smear her boobs with peanut butter and jump in the lake behind the hotel - even if she did it off hours - I'd find a way to let that nut bag go, too.  Something wrong with that girl.

Simply lying about his personal life is not enough for him to lose his job.

And Eddie.  That lyin' turd.  If I were Captain and loved my wife and daughters and women in general and found out what a lying, dirtbag he was?  Next time he was late for duty or made a mistake - later, ya lying tater.  Even if lack of integrity isn't a fireable offense, it would be a dealbreaker for me as his boss. I'd find a way to can his lying ass sooner or later.

Rocky would've been fired for jumping.

But lucky for them, I'm not their boss.  And lucky for them, Lee can't fire them either.

• Love 3

I don't think Connie can or should be fired because of the condiments on her boobs thing. She did it a total of 2 times the whole season, both when there were no guests on board and they were off charter. When there were guests on board, she buckled down, did her job, and did it well. Sure it's a weird quirk but hardly worth firing an otherwise competent and responsible employee over. Now had she been doing it while on charter it with guests on board, that'd be a different story.

• Love 10

Captain Lee has said that he does have the ability to fire people.  

He has no say in hiring, but he can fire, according to this interview: http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2015/08/below-deck-season-3-captain-lee-rosbach-interview/

My guess is that he didn't fire Rocky because there wasn't another stew ready to instantly fill her slot.

How would that matter when Rocky never did any work anyway? Lee knew she was the source of drama and entertainment, whether he liked it/her or not. I doubt it was because there was no immediate replacement, he basically had only 2 working stews anyway.

Rocky is nuts. And vicious. That is a dangerous combination. If Eddie hooked up with this nut job not once, but twice after the episodes ended, then it's on him. However, Rocky can't claim to be the wronged woman. And how graceful of her to point out their hookup. She needs to take responsibility for her own behavior. I think people who "get her" need to stay away from her. I can't wait for part two.

I like Kate as a professional. She tried to work with Leon and Leon was a major PIA. She tried to show crazy Rocky how to work on a charter yacht. Kate might be difficult, hard to know, but she definitely knows her job. I thought she was pretty smooth, even with Leon. I would have punched him in the throat early on.

I LOVED Captain Lee calling Rocky on her fabrications. He's got a good crew and he will protect them from vultures like her. She's dangerous, and I wish he could have stepped in sooner, but I'll take his smackdown on the show.

Rocky is beautiful. She has lovely bone structure, hair, voice, and presence. Where is she going next?

Also, I love Connie. She's patient, she gets it, and she does her job and wants to do it well. She has no drama and doesn't like drama. And, I like her looks a lot. I think she's pretty, and is a strong woman who just wants to get through the day.

Edited by Notmuchofacook
  • Love 4

Different workplaces have different cultures and different ideas about what's acceptable. And it is often about the context of the exchange.

Indeed - but people, this wasn't a "workplace".  This was a construct with Bravo being the de-facto boss in the entire thing.

Indeed - but people, this wasn't a "workplace".  This was a construct with Bravo being the de-facto boss in the entire thing.

I think everyone realizes that I was responding to a poster saying that no real life boss would say to an employee that "I call bullshit."

• Love 3

If anyone was "bullied," it was Kate, by Leon. I think I would have been in tears.

I agree Leon treated Kate terribly. I believe she was unruffled by what Leon said because they're cut from a similar cloth. Last season, Kate treated Amy as badly as Leon treated her. Kate was unfazed by Leon because, imo, Kate is hard.

Her tweets, her lying, her treatment of Amy, her bitch face - which doesn't only happen when it's at rest - tells me Rocky isn't too far off the mark when she calls Kate evil.

• Love 5

I think everyone realizes that I was responding to a poster saying that no real life boss would say to an employee that "I call bullshit."

I don't think people realize that that, to be honest.  I think people believe this was a real charter-yacht situation where the chain of command was what we saw on television.  It wasn't.  Even if the charter guests were Bravo plants - there are rules involved in seagoing vessels sailing out of ports and that's what Captain Lee had an actual crew apart from Eddie.  (Remember when there was always the First Mate in the wheelhouse meetings?)

Rocky seems like a classic narcissist. "All attention must be on me at all times, and if it is not, I will do something to bring the attention back to me."

They continually shove blame off on anyone else. They refuse to be held accountable for their actions. Everyone/anyone else is to blame.

No respect for authority, witness her having to have the 'last word' with Capt. Lee.

• Love 7

I don't think people realize that that, to be honest.  I think people believe this was a real charter-yacht situation where the chain of command was what we saw on television.  It wasn't.  Even if the charter guests were Bravo plants - there are rules involved in seagoing vessels sailing out of ports and that's what Captain Lee had an actual crew apart from Eddie.  (Remember when there was always the First Mate in the wheelhouse meetings?)

I have to disagree with some of this.  The only other crew was an engineer and first mate.  Eddie was bosun and had two deckhands.  They were very much a part of the crew and were responsible for titled jobs on the vessel.  The rest of the crew were three stews, a cook and the captain.  The yacht Eros is actually yacht Mustang Sally which states it has a crew of ten.

http://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-22981/mustang-sally.htm

• Love 1

I have to disagree with some of this.  The only other crew was an engineer and first mate.  Eddie was bosun and had two deckhands.  They were very much a part of the crew and were responsible for titled jobs on the vessel.  The rest of the crew were three stews, a cook and the captain.  The yacht Eros is actually yacht Mustang Sally which states it has a crew of ten.

http://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-22981/mustang-sally.htm

And the yacht Mustang Sally had a crew that was not our EROS crew.  Those crew members were cast by Bravo.

And the yacht Mustang Sally had a crew that was not our EROS crew.  Those crew members were cast by Bravo.

Yes, they were hired by production but  they still had the same responsibilities.  I just don't get what your point is?  With the exception of Rocky, they 'had' to somewhat know what they were doing  which Kate and Amy took the slack up for.  The deck crew had to have people who understood docking a large boat, etc..  They had to have staff that mostly had some experience and understood what was entailed with yachting.  And most of them did know.  They didn't have a second crew and that's my point.

• Love 6

Yes, they were hired by production but  they still had the same responsibilities.  I just don't get what your point is?  With the exception of Rocky, they 'had' to somewhat know what they were doing  which Kate and Amy took the slack up for.  The deck crew had to have people who understood docking a large boat, etc..  They had to have staff that mostly had some experience and understood what was entailed with yachting.  And most of them did know.  They didn't have a second crew and that's my point.

My point is this - do you think that at any time if anyone's life were in danger or there was a problem, the Bravo production staff would allow their cast members to be in control?  No.  The cast members were seaworthy, sure (maybe not Rocky).  The chain of command isn't what it would normally be in a real-life working environment.  Sorry, I'm just not willing to swallow the whole "reality" of this particular reality show - it's SO scripted, SO produced, it's difficult to suspend disbelief on the actual mechanics of the crew when we have to spend so much energy suspending disbelief on the onboard shenanigans.

Edited by Adultosaurus

Disagree. We saw Eddie twice step into threatening situations: Dane, when they were on the island and he was so horrifically drunk he threatened to start a fight and Eddie grabbed the bottle from him, called Lee and got Dane out of there, and the other was when Ben cut his finger deeply and Eddie bandaged it for him using a First Aid kit.

We also didn't see any extra crew members step in when that fire happened, even though it looked like, once again, only Eddie knew what to do, since Kate and Rocky kept the damn oven open and didn't know where the fire extinguisher was. These folks definitely seem to be in charge at any and all times. There's a few crew members we don't see or don't see often, but that doesn't mean the ones we do see don't have as much leverage or authority.

As far as I know, Bravo casts the crew. But that's it. As we saw, Lee has the power to fire them if he wants to. Most of these guys have yatching experience outside of the show and find work on other ships when BD is not filming. I realize that because so many shows now are scripted and producer driven that it's hard to believe what's real anymore, but I'd say at least if anything here is real it's that the crew actually is pretty competent at their respective jobs (except Rocky of course).

• Love 8

I am completely aware of what's real and what's not. The charter guests, by the way, are offered a discounted 1-3 day cruise in exchange for being on a TV show. I don't know if this is exactly "plants," but obviously they, 1) are willing to have their vacation televised; and 2) are deemed by 51 Minds to have the potential to make good televsion.

But I believe Captain Lee when he says he has the power to fire but not to hire.  This would apply to the crew that are not on TV as well as those who are.  

It's unclear how many crew are on the ship that aren't shown on TV.  It appears to be the first mate and 1-2 engineers.  I don't think there are any deckhands or stews who are not part of the show.

• Love 4

Slow hand clap for the army of BD producers who worked hard to wrangle Rocky this season.

They earned their combat pay.

Imagine the above mentioned producers jumping ship and swimming to the Bravo support boat when Rocky became too much for them to bear.

• Love 4

We also did see some rather boring, low maintenance guests this season, so I don't think all of them could be plants or producer-driven. Maybe some, like Foam Guy, and of course Real Housewife (and fellow Bravo cast member) Cynthia Bailey, but probably not all. 

• Love 1

I agree Leon treated Kate terribly. I believe she was unruffled by what Leon said because they're cut from a similar cloth. Last season, Kate treated Amy as badly as Leon treated her. Kate was unfazed by Leon because, imo, Kate is hard.

Her tweets, her lying, her treatment of Amy, her bitch face - which doesn't only happen when it's at rest - tells me Rocky isn't too far off the mark when she calls Kate evil.

ryebread, I appreciate your response, and I guess I can see what you mean about Kate vs. Amy last season; that did get ugly, and I now recall that some of the things Kate said to Amy are similar to what Leon said to her this season. That said, I disagree that Kate is "evil" in any way. Kate just seems like someone who doesn't mince words, and doesn't take any crap. Maybe I should retract my statement that Leon bullied her, because you're right; she snapped at Amy in basically the same way Leon snapped at her, and both of them were unkind. The main difference for me is that Leon was much more menacing in his comments and approach. He's a big guy, and he came off as threatening. Kate just came off bitchy. It's the menacing factor that spells "bully" to me; not just saying you don't like someone, or you don't like working with them. Kate and Kat were very cliquey last season, and they did leave Amy out of their little reindeer games, but that's not really bullying, it's just being insensitive and rude. Still, it was quite unprofessional on her part. 

Aside from all that, I feel like I "get" Kate. I'm very similar to her in some ways, especially in work ethic, perfectionism, and not tolerating half-assedness, and I love that she taught me how to diagnose my "bitchy resting face." Which, by the way, ANDY COHEN, is the proper order of those words. It's not "resting bitch face." It's BRF, and it's real, and those of us who are stricken with it don't appreciate your inability to get that right! Grr. <bitchface>

• Love 6

My guess is that Captain Lee could have fired Rocky, but only if she did something really bad or Kate wanted her gone. I think Kate likes having someone to bitch out for everything. Last season, it was Amy. In this case, Rocky earned her spot as bad stewardess.

Those charter guests obviously don't pay full fare and many of them have a brand (Tap Out, for example) to promote. I just wonder how the tips are determined. Do the guests decide? Is it their own money? What about the douche from last season who only gave half the tip?

I expect Capt. Lee can fire anyone he wants, BUT he has to work with Bravo to do it, because he needs a Bravo-approved replacement. So where a regular captain can fire your ass and drop you at any port, plane ticket in hand, Capt. Lee has to be patient and let Bravo work out the replacement FIRST. And don't delude yourself: he may have demanded the right to fire (because ultimately the safety of all hands is on his shoulders), but that doesn't mean Bravo won't put major pressure on him to keep incompetent people "a little longer," because they bring the drama.

I finally got a chance to watch the reunion.

Capt. Lee, you're my hero. Thank you for shutting that narcissistic loon down. Repeatedly. It would be lovely if you would continue to do so next week.

Rocky, get some help. If you're not mentally ill, you need a personality transplant. Shut up and go far, far away.

Re: Connie and Emile. Connie succeeded because she is very much "one of the guys," and she and Emile have both stated they have a sibling-like relationship. Guys trash talk when they do a job like that, and Connie participates. I expect they banter constantly as they work. What happened in the scene we saw was that Connie hit a nerve because Emile was upset about Rocky. He lost his temper and snapped. He wasn't trash talking -- he lost his temper. There was a clear difference between the two. They probably call each other names all day -- but not in anger. Anger is different. He apologized because he knew he lost his temper, and she accepted because she knew he didn't mean it.

Re: Kate's drinking. You know, I believe Rocky, and I bet that Capt. Lee has a little talk with Kate before next season (if they both return). BUT I'll also say, even if Kate is a raging alcoholic, she's able to do her job well. Rocky can't do hers sober.

• Love 8

I've been wondering why the tip seems to only be split between the cast, and not any of the off-camera crew, like the 1st Officer or Chief Engineer. That seems odd to me, but maybe their share is taken out ahead of time. Also, I don't think Kate "likes" having someone to bitch at/about more than she would like having someone who actually pulled their own weight. I mean, even with a top notch interior crew, people will get on each other's nerves after several stressful weeks in close quarters. But to have someone who's literally making your work harder? That person deserves a slap down occasionally, in my opinion. Oh, Rocky, cry me a river. You truly suck.

• Love 8