Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: The Son Rises

When the lead actor of the musical “The Lion King” tour arrives at Angels Memorial with a throat infection, Leanne gives him a diagnosis that puts both his career and life in jeopardy. Also, the doctors and the cast of “The Lion King” help a 17-year-old boy deal with the difficult decision of taking his father off life support,

You know, this is the third or fourth time that Mario has cast the blame for his improper actions or poor decisions on someone else, or taken credit for someone else's efforts.  Usually Angus, and that riles me up (maybe because my name is also Angus).  I'm sorry, but this recurring pattern of behaviour is not something that should be tolerated, especially in a profession where people's lives are at stake.  At the very least, he needs to be fired.  Perhaps better would be to be de-frocked, or what ever they do with doctors.  

I wonder what type of house the home-invasion family live in?  I just can't imagine a teenaged boy who couldn't get out of his own bedroom window without breaking one foot and dislocating the other leg.  Did he jump from the 3rd floor?  

I felt sorry for Jeremy (?).  Before she died my Mum used to call me up and tell me I had to go and collect myself from school.  She would remember her son from 45-50 years ago, and call up the present day version of that same boy to go pick him up.  Alzheimer's is terrible indeed, not least because those infrequent flashes of lucidity make it difficult to accept the reality of the situation.  The person you love isn't there any more.

Every now and again, there is a moment in some  movie or TV show, like when the Lion King people were singing, that allows me to reaffirm just how much I hate musicals.  Another 10 seconds of that caterwauling, and I'd have had to switch off.  The only reason I didn't kill it right from the start, was just in case there might be a brief, significant moment, right after the racket, just before the show ended.

• Love 5

My suspicions are confirmed. This hospital only has 2 surgeons: Senior and Junior.

And only 1 OR...

Which they get to by going through the waiting room with a patient on a gurney.

There must only be one.. otherwise why on earth would they risk one critical patient by taking another that may explode at any minute into the same room?

Plus for some reason, despite the really huge hallway and nurses station Leanne walked down towards the end, they can only take 2 patients into the ER at a time.... three, and they starting bumping into everyone nearly killing the patients.

I really hope the president never needs a hospital when he is in town, because if that's where he gets taken, we're in serious trouble.

This show could be so good if they'd ease up on the ludicrous conditions and unrealistic understaffing.

I'm wondering if Kevin Dunne and Luis Guzman are getting out while they can before this ship sinks.

That said, I did tear up a little during the Lion King number because they built a storyline (several actually) that actually worked for the musical number

• Love 1

I was sceptical about how the Lion King was going to be woven into it, but finally I loved the episode. Just like I was as WTF as Leanne when Jesse began to sing, and it was finally a great scene. I love their friendship.

I was very surprised at how Leanne began to talk about her son so easily, since she's been so guarded and evasive for now, but in the end it made sense to me that the musical was a trigger that made her forget for a moment and get lost in her memories.

Except...Dr.Taylor, noooo! I hope that his leave his truly temporary. I don't know yet how I feel about his replacement. I like the snark, but there's a fine line between snarky and very unpleasant that was crossed for me, with Angus in particular.

I don't think that Mario is off the hook. Jesse knows exactly what happened, this time, Leanne knows what he's about, and I think his actions will have consequences at one point. I still like some aspects of his personality, and some of his flaws are coherent with his history (the "long shot" mention obviousy hit a sensitive spot). He was good with the son.

I feel the same about Cole, he does have some annoying sides when it comes to his father, but I like him anyway. He seems genuinely interested in Leanne, I liked how he stated it and I thought he was more humble this time.

I'm fine with Neal and Christa "just" working together because I like how they operate as a team (although I know I'll be a greedy shipper again soon) and yep, "Prince Charming" rules in the OR, too. I hope we'll get to know the "long story" of why he left surgery.

• Love 2

I"m getting tired of Mario's improper actions, particularly as they relate to Angus.  I'm beginning not to care anymore about Mario's backstory because it in no way justifies his actions now.  He's cute but I wish the writers would write him off (he gets fired or transferred) and replace him with another young cutie.  I'm sure they'd have no problem finding an actor looking for a job.  

Dr. Cole Guthrie just gives me the creeps.  I get that he's interested in Leanne but he's got this kind of stalker vibe to him.  He acts like he can't or won't understand Leanne's responses to him, that she's not ready or not interested.  I know he's supposed to be this brilliant surgeon but he comes off as kind of slow and dense otherwise.  I don't know if it's the character or if the actor, Cress Williams, is really like that.   I looked him up and he's 11 years younger than Marcia Gay Harden, but he comes off as even younger in this role.  

Edit:  I didn't mean Dr. Taylor gave me the creeps.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

I thought the dementia patient storyline was well handled.  It was clean-cut that the DNR should be signed because of the combination of dementia and cancer.  The hard times are when an older patient has a weak heart but everything else is intact.

Why didn't Jesse tell Leanne that it was Mario's screw-up, not his save?  A real nurse would have. Plus ethically he needs to even if he's a nurse and Mario is the doctor.  He's probably waiting for Angus to do it but that's stupid, someone could get hurt while Angus is dithering.

Because he let the kid shadow him in the previous episode, it seems. Boo.

That was one of the stupider things in the episode.  That kid was old enough to sit in the waiting room by himself. And if this hospital is as large as they're trying to tell us it is, there's a social worker on call. At worst, have him sit with the ward clerk.

And if this hospital is as large as they're trying to tell us it is, there's a social worker on call. At worst, have him sit with the ward clerk.

No, the only large part of the hospital is that hallway opening into what I guess was a nurses station. There are no social workers. We have already met the entire hospital staff: a couple of surgeons, a couple of ER docs, a bunch of residents, and nurses who probably quit in droves because one of the 2 surgeons throws things at them. The entire facility would fit in a Manhattan apartment.

• Love 5

Because he let the kid shadow him in the previous episode, it seems. Boo.

I wonder why he didn't have a scene with Christa about it.

I'm ignorant of hospital policies.  Why is this grounds for a paid leave suspension?  I don't remember the kid doing or seeing something questionable enough to warrant a suspension.

I'm ignorant of hospital policies.

Me, too. I guess that's why I take what the show says at face value, roll with it and don't mind, when it's about procedures and not characters.

Plot-wise, "Because the actor was temporarily unvailable" and "Because they needed a hot younger female director for other storylines purpose" are my best guesses at this point.

• Love 3

Me, too. I guess that's why I take what the show says at face value, roll with it and don't mind, when it's about procedures and not characters.

Plot-wise, "Because the actor was temporarily unvailable" and "Because they needed a hot younger female director for other storylines purpose" are my best guesses at this point.

Haha so true. Maybe HIPPA violations? I can't imagine the mom getting mad since she was pleading with them to watch her son. But mostly it's because they can add a new hot doc to the mix to spice things up. Better stay away from Neal missy! I can see her as having an inappropriate relationship with Mario.

That ending made me bawl. The passing of the kid's father along with Leanne remembering her son was too much, and then they add Lion King to the mix.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

That ending made me bawl. The passing of the kid's father along with Leanne remembering her son was too much, and then they add Lion King to the mix.

Same for me. I know I'm an easy audience for these kind of scenes for sure, but I cried like a baby.

I quite like the series so far, and I hope Mario will get some payback at some point for its constant lack of professionalism.

• Love 4

I'm always a little verklempt when people start singing when you normally would not - musicals usually are awkward for me. But I loved that they sang for the patient and especially that they sang for Leanne as well. Such a nice touch.

What else? Momma/Jesse (I kept wondering who you guys were talking about: Jesse who?, because I'm slow and bad with names) was a standout this episode. I love his interactions with Leanne and he's very smart with the ducklings (sorry! borrowed lingo from House!). I'm not sure why he did not report on Mario, probably because Mario would've acted if seen the results and now it's spilled milk. Also I think he believes the kids need to work it out among themselves first. Speaking of - Angus shows amazing patience with Mario. I absolutely would not have talked to him afterwards. As for Mario, I think he needs exactly someone like Angus in his life. He does have potential - as just seen with his nice little talk with the kid - but he's been fighting on his own for too long for knowing what it's like to be in a team. He will come around eventually and I hope when he does, he will have a good friendship going with Angus.

And great consistency about Leanne trusting more her instincts than machines. I've said it before and I will say it again: She's the only fake doctor I would trust with my life. MGH is amazing.

And of course Neal is Prince Charming, duh!

• Love 1
And great consistency about Leanne trusting more her instincts than machines. I've said it before and I will say it again: She's the only fake doctor I would trust with my life.

I'd trust Neal, too. With a scalpel and all.

Better stay away from Neal missy! I can see her as having an inappropriate relationship with Mario.

I do think they were hinting at something with Mario, at least she gets him bothered. And yeah, Neal is taken! I'll go in full harpy mode if she's there to mess things between my lovelies.

I guess one of the qualifications for working in Angels ER is the ability to harmonize.  Cute scene, but why would any MD allow his patient with a still unresolved abscess in the throat (along with a recently torn carotid artery) out of ICU and singing?

The medical staff is required by law in California to report cases of suspected rape, so I think the poor wife's husband and son are going to learn about it the hard way.  Hopefully they will have some counseling available to them to deal with the effects.

I like the backstory with Leanne.  Well, not the story itself, but the way the show is bringing out her grief, and, yet, her professionalism at the same time.  Take note, Mario.

• Love 2
You know, this is the third or fourth time that Mario has cast the blame for his improper actions or poor decisions on someone else, or taken credit for someone else's efforts.  Usually Angus, and that riles me up (maybe because my name is also Angus).  I'm sorry, but this recurring pattern of behaviour is not something that should be tolerated, especially in a profession where people's lives are at stake.  At the very least, he needs to be fired.  Perhaps better would be to be de-frocked, or what ever they do with doctors.

I'm hoping that they're building up to some kind of a blow-up between the two, or will have a situation that Mario can't get out of.  I hope so anyway, otherwise they are just dragging it out.

I'm ignorant of hospital policies.  Why is this grounds for a paid leave suspension?  I don't remember the kid doing or seeing something questionable enough to warrant a suspension.

I don't have the previous episode saved anymore, but I seem to remember a brief scene between Taylor and Leanne where he says that he let the kid watch surgery from the gallery and that he would deal with the aftermath later, or when/if he had to (or something similar to that).  I don't know if he meant surgery from a viewing area above an actual OR, or just hanging over the partition with the medical students watching the 'emergency ER surgery' that they did.  

Edited by BooksRule

Well, thankfully that wasn't as hokey as I was afraid it was going to be.  It was quite beautiful and I, too, cried at the end. 

I was afraid that Dr. Taylor's replacement was going to a portrayed as a real bitch who was going to throw a wrench in things, but so far, I like her (but I definitely want Dr. Taylor back).  I really hope there wasn't some foreshadowing of something between her and Mario or Neal. 

Speaking of Mario:  Where are the writers going with him?  4 times in how few episodes now?  I really hope the pay off is a good one, because I agree with Ely about him having potential.  

I'm ignorant of hospital policies.

Me, too (with both comments).  It's also why I can watch police/FBI/Lawyer shows without too many problems. 

• Love 2

Could someone please help me out - weren't the bride and groom flying from LAX to Mexico for their wedding?  I'm thinking I must be wrong about that, because otherwise why  would anyone be smuggling cocaine out of LA to Mexico?

It's also kind of hard to imagine an urban ER not initially catching the fact that the mother might have been sexually assaulted during a very violent home invasion.

The actors on this show are very strong, and I hope the writing rises to their level.

• Love 4

I think they were indeed smuggling cocaine from L.A. to Mexico. Maybe they have a trusted dealer in L.A.? Sounds lame, I know.

It's also kind of hard to imagine an urban ER not initially catching the fact that the mother might have been sexually assaulted during a very violent home invasion.

That also didn't make sense. That was the first thing I thought when they hammered in the fact that they were seperated for a really really long time. It's a little contrived. I guess they needed to shoehorn in another reason to make Mario the a*hole in this. They have to stop doing the Mario screws Angus-thing. So far I can psychoanalize it away but if we get this a couple of more times it won't be credible anymore.

I've come to the conclusion that I like Malaya best when she's being a geek and/or having a valley girl-moment "He's been around since dial-up" was perfect delivery.

Could someone please help me out - weren't the bride and groom flying from LAX to Mexico for their wedding?  I'm thinking I must be wrong about that, because otherwise why  would anyone be smuggling cocaine out of LA to Mexico?

The bride convinced the groom to swallow a package of cocaine so they could use it to party when they went on their honeymoon.  Which is yet another reason to hate destination weddings.

I assume Taylor is suspended so Kevin Dunn can go film the next season of Veep.

It takes a lot of skill for me to enjoy a show intentionally yanking on my heartstrings, and I've mostly been left cold by the series so far, but "They Live In You" is one of the best songs from Lion King, so they finally got me.

• Love 1

I think they were indeed smuggling cocaine from L.A. to Mexico. Maybe they have a trusted dealer in L.A.? Sounds lame, I know.

The bride convinced the groom to swallow a package of cocaine so they could use it to party when they went on their honeymoon.  Which is yet another reason to hate destination weddings.

Thanks - I work while I watch television, and thought I must have missed something.  

For those of us who know nothing about The Lion King, what was the song about?  Was it appropriate for the situation?

The song "he lives in you" is about how the spirits of our ancestors (and particularly the father) are with us even when they are gone, and thus we are never alone. I think it was indeed appropriate to help a son begin mourning for his father.

• Love 4

Loved this episode.  So moving.  I haven't cried this much for a medical drama since Dr. Mark Greene died on the beach.  

No, the only large part of the hospital is that hallway opening into what I guess was a nurses station. There are no social workers. We have already met the entire hospital staff: a couple of surgeons, a couple of ER docs, a bunch of residents, and nurses who probably quit in droves because one of the 2 surgeons throws things at them. The entire facility would fit in a Manhattan apartment.

I really like this show and hope it lasts, but.....LOL.

definitely all sorts of HIPAA violations....patient information is HUGELY confidential or else HUGE govt penalties.  You can't have the kid following the doctor around, hearing patients' problems.

Edited by Granny58
  • Love 2

Except...Dr.Taylor, noooo! I hope that his leave his truly temporary. I don't know yet how I feel about his replacement. I like the snark, but there's a fine line between snarky and very unpleasant that was crossed for me, with Angus in particular.

Remember when he said to his replacement something like, "It's like looking into a circus mirror"? She was a woman after his own heart. He liked her comment about the guy having a bride in prison. That guy cracks me up. I like the two older characters in this show, Taylor and Guthrie. Actually, I like everyone, at least a little.

I believe they showed Taylor and the boy watching a surgery from the observation deck or whatever they call it.

Am I the only one who assumes that things happen that we don't know about? Like the hospital has other patients scheduled for surgeries and tying up the ORs? Like there are other floors and wards in the hospital and other ER doctors, too? Like Mama probably did tell Papa about Mario's screw up? 

You have to have a  villain or two in a drama, I suppose. We have two different types in Mario and Junior.

I'm really liking this show and the way we're only learning about these characters through the course of their work.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 2

Yes, OR's are tied up for other patients such as inpatients, c sections, and other ER patients. Hospital is probably small so doesn't have a lot of OR rooms and if they do, not enough anesthesia, surgical nursing staff at night. They show other doctors taking care of patients in the background- that big of an ER can't run on a few attendings and residents.

• Love 1

Yes, OR's are tied up for other patients such as inpatients, c sections, and other ER patients. Hospital is probably small so doesn't have a lot of OR rooms and if they do, not enough anesthesia, surgical nursing staff at night. They show other doctors taking care of patients in the background- that big of an ER can't run on a few attendings and residents.

Then they shouldn't be taking additional trauma cases.

Then they shouldn't be taking additional trauma cases.

Isn't that the point in the name of the show. Code Black means they're overrun they shouldn't be taking so many cases, but there is no place else for them to go.

• Love 1

Isn't that the point in the name of the show. Code Black means they're overrun they shouldn't be taking so many cases, but there is no place else for them to go.

Yes there is:  All the other hospitals that aren't in Code Black.

But see, that's the problem:  They've said Angels Memorial is one of the country's premiere trauma centers.  But it also seems to be underfunded, under-equipped, and understaffed.  Both of those things can't be true.  Real prestige hospital--Johns Hopkins, Massachusetts General, UCLA Medical Center--don't look anything like that.

• Love 2

Not really, if a department continued to perform well while under staffed and underfunded you'd probably find it would remain both.

This show is based on a documentary set in an LA hospital, done by a medical student, so it's certainly trying to be how this works in the real world. http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2015/09/27/TV-preview-Pitt-med-school-grad-executive-produces-network-s-Code-Black/stories/201509220221

Traumas go to the closest hospital, not at the least crowded. There are lots of ER's, but most aren't level 1 trauma. Harbor/UCLA and USC are both such crowded and crazy busy ER's, and they get most of the traumas because of location and that they are level 1 trauma. The only difference is that their specialists are available, unlike the fake Angels memorial.

• Love 1

In the real world, if a hospital is so over-crowded that they can't give proper care to people coming in, then the head of the ER calls the ambulance dispatch and says they are "closed" to new traumas. They will still take in walk-in patients but ambulances are re-directed to the nearest available hospital that isn't so busy they can't treat new patients.

You do what's best for the patients.

• Love 2

In the real world, if a hospital is so over-crowded that they can't give proper care to people coming in, then the head of the ER calls the ambulance dispatch and says they are "closed" to new traumas. They will still take in walk-in patients but ambulances are re-directed to the nearest available hospital that isn't so busy they can't treat new patients.

You do what's best for the patients.

I saw this happen this past summer in a local ER. Every cubicle was filled and patients were lining the corridors on gurneys.

ETA: Anyone else think the dementia patient was actually the grandfather, and thought the young man was his son? Or did I miss some key bit of information??

Edited by torqy

The name of the hospital always sounds a little odd to me. There is an Angell Memorial Hospital in Boston. It's a veterinary medical center.

Edited by Driad

I saw this happen this past summer in a local ER. Every cubicle was filled and patients were lining the corridors on gurneys.

That happens fairly regularly at the hospital I used to work at.  At that point, the manager of the ER calls ambulance dispatch and tells them that the hospital is "closed" to ambulances, at which point they are diverted to the nearest hospital that is open.  Walk-ins are still seen.  So it's not realistic that ambulances were still coming to this hospital.

But see, that's the problem:  They've said Angels Memorial is one of the country's premiere trauma centers.  But it also seems to be underfunded, under-equipped, and understaffed.  Both of those things can't be true.  Real prestige hospital--Johns Hopkins, Massachusetts General, UCLA Medical Center--don't look anything like that.

That is not what makes for its prestige's name. Rather for young doctors treating the victims of the 80s through 2005 peak of South Central Los Angeles gang wars made it the place to go to learn and thus had the experienced doctors. TV wise today I guess you would slot Chicago Med there, since that replaced County General of ER fame

• Love 1

That is not what makes for its prestige's name. Rather for young doctors treating the victims of the 80s through 2005 peak of South Central Los Angeles gang wars made it the place to go to learn and thus had the experienced doctors. TV wise today I guess you would slot Chicago Med there, since that replaced County General of ER fame

Right, but if the President was in LA and s/he needed treatment, the destination of choice wouldn't be South Central LA.

Right, but if the President was in LA and s/he needed treatment, the destination of choice wouldn't be South Central LA.

Unless he was shot like Reagan and then it would be the team who had more experience with such emergencies

Well, after the parent-child story being a minor one last episode, we get two parent child emotional stories this time.  Plus, both of the doctors that have lost children get to relive some memories. It gets a little heavy handed sometimes and can be rather unrealistic, but I still like this show. Tehy do a great job of character development and the acting is strong.

The Lion King scene was touching, but I kept thinking how awkward it would be for the boy being surrounded by a bunch of strangers staring at him at the most emotional moment of his life.  

I am so glad they didn't go with Hakuna Matata ---

Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful phrase
Hakuna Matata, ain't no passing craze
It means no worries for the rest of your days

I wonder what type of house the home-invasion family live in?  I just can't imagine a teenaged boy who couldn't get out of his own bedroom window without breaking one foot and dislocating the other leg.  Did he jump from the 3rd floor?  

A few years ago, a two story house in my neighborhood caught fire and a teenage girl inside escaped by jumping out of a window.  She broke both of her ankles.  My daughter broke her ankle jumping over a flowerbed.  A friend broke his heel (hard to do - need to land exactly perpendicular) when he was climbing over a fence and one of the boards broke.  Another friend broke his ankle playing basketball in the street and stepping on part of the curb. It is all in how you land and what you land on. 

Not sure how one dislocates (rather than breaks) a hip in a fall, but I guess they figured running for help on a broken ankle wasn't heroic enough. 

The medical staff is required by law in California to report cases of suspected rape, so I think the poor wife's husband and son are going to learn about it the hard way.  Hopefully they will have some counseling available to them to deal with the effects.

And shouldn't they do a rape kit to get possible evidence on the guys who did this?  Perhaps that was done off screen.  

But I can see the mom's desire to keep her family from knowing.  Her son, who saved them, already feels bad that he didn't escape and save them sooner, it would be horrible for him to find out what his mom was going through while was "waiting" in the bathroom upstairs.