Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Tag, You're Me

I was in the mood to not really solve the case before the leads, so I enjoyed going along with the evidence and leads.  It was interesting, but not as interesting as Clyde's new diet or Morland trying to sweet-talk a deal with Shohreh Aghdashloo ( an old co-star of JLM's on CBS' criminally short Smith!)

I liked Watson's print top with the bow at the first crime scene she was at. It was really cute.

I enjoy Bell and was glad it felt like the three of them hadn't lost a step.

Is it going to be The Year of Morland?

• Love 1

Raise your hand if you thought it was twin 3---er, the third triplet.

I must disagree with the poster above about the bow blouses. Can't stand any of them. Joan's always been a pretty sharp dresser til this season. She's had a couple of misses in season's past, but this year it's all been bad for the most part. That taupey dress with the grey/blue men's tie? Crikey, she looked like a girl scout.

Speaking of clothing, I wish SH would wear jackets just a twee bit larger.

• Love 2

What is Clyde's new diet?  Guessing that was what Sherlock was mixing at the beginning of the episode, but in that scene I had trouble understanding what JLM was saying.

I just heard that it had something to do with Clyde getting more minerals in his diet.  I enjoyed seeing Clyde also.

Loved Bell's "I missed you too" to Sherlock.

JLM and LL really deadpanned that in-joke "I was watching football" "On Thursday?"

The mystery was good, it had enough characters that the solution wasn't too obvious at first, though the culprit did turn out to be someone you'd expect I guess.

• Love 4
That last scene between the Holmeses had some real emotion to it, and was played well.

Yes it was. It was also chock full of hints towards the rest of the season. Sounds like Papa Holmes did Mama Holmes wrong somehow, perhaps even contributed to her death? I think we're in for a fuck load of backstory. I'm not wild about the concept (I enjoy the mystery that is Holmes), but with Noble and Miller navigating us through it, I think I'll manage.

Edited by basil

I was a bit worried when he was shrink wrapping a supply of food for Clyde - is he planning a trip and wants to be certain Clyde's dietary needs are met in his absence?

I loved the expression that flashed on Joan's face when Marcus said "Imagine two Sherlock" (or words to that affect).

• Love 3
I loved the expression that flashed on Joan's face when Marcus said "Imagine two Sherlock" (or words to that affect).

Agreed, but Sherlock might enjoy having a doppelgänger around keep Morland off his scent.

It was interesting, but not as interesting as Clyde's new diet or Morland trying to sweet-talk a deal with Shohreh Aghdashloo.

Shohreh raises the class of anything she's in, doesn't she? I did assume that she would be the killer when I saw her name in the credits.

Like another poster, I too was worried that Clyde was being sent to Mars with a lifetime supply of mineral bars.

Sounds like Papa Holmes did Mama Holmes wrong somehow, perhaps even contributed to her death? I think we're in for a load of backstory.

I hope the backstory also includes Mycroft.  They are acting like he does not even exist.

I know that the darker layers will come, but right now Morland appears to be acting like a very honorable man. How many men realize later in life that they they were lousy fathers and dull that pain with a bottle instead of trying to reconnect with their children and make things right?

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1

I thought it amusing that Joan had BOTH popcorn and chips for her football viewing. That's one heck of a crunchy salty snack craving!

When John Noble was cast, I was a little worried. I love him, but his last big gig, not so much. He is perfect as Sherlock's father, and I love the way they play off of each other, and show the similarities in their characters.

I am not a millennial by a long shot (as in, baby boomer), but I do get tired of the seemingly obligatory slamming of millennials' "narcissism" on television and in the media. Boomers would have done the same thing, had the technology existed. I know I wish I had a stock of good photos from my prime.

• Love 4

I love how the mysteries on this show are so intricate.  Sure, they sometimes have that one "extra" twist that goes too far, but I enjoy sitting there trying to puzzle out the crime.  If I get to the commercial break at the half-hour mark and realize that I'm really, REALLY trying to work out the identity and motive of the killer, then I'm happy with the episode.  This happens more often than not.

I like Sherlock's father.  He's a creepy old dude, but so far seems to be genuinely concerned with the welfare of his son.  I'm not sure if we really need him as a "regular" on the show, though.  I feel like we're seeing less of Captain Gregson and some of Sherlock's helpers as a result.

Yeah, I'm wanting to see Mycroft in the mix, if only for a reference to Noble loving one son over the other, and the other he would just as soon set fire to.  If they can do an inside joke for Thursday football, they can refer to Deneathor!

• Love 3

Like another poster, I too was worried that Clyde was being sent to Mars with a lifetime supply of mineral bars.

I laughed and laughed at the visual of Sherlock going through the tedious process of shrink-wrapping those Clyde snacks because it made me imagine that he'd probably gone way way overboard making the snacks because he was frustrated that his father was still in town so now he has to wrap them all up.

At least he's not making the treats and then promptly throwing them away like he did with his Yorkshire pudding (that was so sad).

I loved seeing Clyde. It was kind of ridiculous how happy I was to see him again. And I like the cute little detail of how Joan pet him after Sherlock walked away.

I'm with Allison about the twisty plot - I didn't mind that they got extra clever, I like when there's a bunch of interesting stuff going on, but... I watched the episode this morning while I had breakfast, and I was not awake enough to be able to connect all the dots and think at any level, much less the level needed to comprehend that particular plot. I had to rewind a few times to listen to the exposition so I could follow.

Perhaps this isn't a show that's good to watch first thing in the morning.  *GRIN*  I need my brain cells cooking to absorb this show! That's a compliment.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 4

Free doppel hunts? My friends, you know this is a set up. Dual roles are coming!

Morland's feelings for Mycroft might be a little different after his messy involvement with the underworld and whatnot. His ultimate aims in hanging around I suspect are strongly affected by those events too.

Liked the A plot myself. I did think they might have had a visitor from another campus' branch, though.

• Love 1

Clyde sighting!  Always great to see the little fellow.  Hope the new diet works for him.  And his feelings weren't hurt after Sherlock compared him to his dad.

At least Shohreh Aghdashloo wasn't the killer, but I wish we got more of her.  She is talented enough that she at least deserves a recurring gig on a show, and not just one off appearances.  Maybe one day a show will do it.  Until then, I guess I can at least enjoy her and John Noble playing off one another like pros.

The case of the week felt particularly more far-fetched and crazier then normal (almost wacky on some levels), but it had it's moments.  And the interactions were great as always.  Loved the Bell/Joan scenes like Bell bringing up the possibility of two Sherlocks (ha!) and Joan's reaction when Bell joked about her "Say Anything" reference.

The Sherlock/Morland scene at the end was well-done.  John Noble is doing a great job here.  I really don't know what to think of Morland.  There seems to be sincerity in what he is saying, but I still wonder if there is more to this.

• Love 6

This episode includes one of the most under the radar in-show product placements ever.  For Thursday night football--which has the humorous distinction of being both a CBS product (via CBS Sports), but also direct competition for Elementary itself, since they are on NFL Network the same night Elementary airs.

And I mean very under the radar. It's simply Joan saying she's come downstairs to watch a football game and Sherlock objecting because "it's Thursday!"

EDIT - ah.  I see a few people upthread are thinking it was simply an in-joke rather than actual sly product placement for a fellow CBS product.

Edited by Kromm

Joan was really good working some ties this epidode. The first little one with the print blouse reminded me of the tie Colonel Sanders wears. Then the dress with the longer tie. It looked like she just stepped out of the movie "Troop Beverly Hills."

Oh Clyde, how I love it when you make an appearance. I really do love how both Sherlock and Holmes care about him!

Edited by Texasmom1970
  • Love 1

This was an excellent episode - much better than most of those last year. Sherlock and Joan are in sync and terrific together, as usual. I wasn't sure that I would like having Sherlock's father in the mix but John Noble is terrific so far.

• Love 1

I much prefer this mistrust in the past and afraid to hope subtlety of Morland than telling us that Sherlock and Watson admired Kitty so we should too. It feels more tangible that his skills and ruthlessness are mysterious. He may or may not be up to no good. Love it.

Edited by fitzcarraldo
  • Love 1

I much prefer this mistrust in the past and afraid to hope subtlety of Morland than telling us that Sherlock and Watson admired Kitty so we should too. It feels more tangible that his skills and ruthlessness are mysterious. He may or may not be up to no good. Love it.

Given what Sherlock has said, Morland is probably up to some good but he's also probably up to some bad as well.

• Love 1

Oriskany Falls! Love the shoutout to central NY even if there was a murder on the fake campus. That's such a random small town to pick, it makes me wonder what the connection is for the writers.

Given what Sherlock has said, Morland is probably up to some good but he's also probably up to some bad as well.

"Father doesn't distinguish..." 

"...with the moral neutrality of the plague..."

"...not evil, neutral, like a shark, or tsunami."

• Love 3