Type keyword(s) to search

Questions About Project Runway

auntlada
  • Start Topic

This is a very good point. Ashley had $9000, where did she spend it? Certainly not on fabrics or quality zippers. The materials Swapnil used were beautiful and expensive-looking.

Have they ever given a breakdown on how designers spent their final collection money? Do they all get exactly the same money and do they buy the fabric at Mood? Or do they buy it wherever they go home to to create their collections? The money might go further in some places than in others, but on the other hand, some places might have easier access to better fabrics.

They do go home (or at least somewhere else) to create their final collections, don't they? Or do they really make them in New York and stage the home visits?

• Love 1

TLo (who talk with the designers) said that since S2 decoys get the same amount of money and time as the finalists.  They also have to do the extra look last minute challenge if it has to go on the runway, e.g., S2 Kara had to do the 13th look too.

I'm not sure about the earlier seasons but in the later ones, the decoy designers stayed in the same hotel as the finalists, too.

The first decoy collection was a total mess and it seemed like no one on the production staff was working with a brain.  They asked (required?) Austin to do a collection in about 5 weeks, but didn't even give him a model from the show.  It was like they said "Do a decoy so no one will know who was eliminated" and then did everything else to practically put a big sign over Austin's head saying DECOY.  Really dumb. 

I would bet the designers do go home and make their collections.  It would probably be too expensive for them to rent temporary space in NYC.

• Love 1

I don't know that they have ever provided the public an accounting, but I remember the designers having to show receipts for how they spent the money.  They aren't restricted to Mood but they seem to have some rules (not completely clear to me).  Kara Saun  called up a business acquaintance to give her free, custom-designed shoes for her final runway show, which caused a problem at the time.

I remember that, but I'm not as sure what happens to the money you don't spend. Because I don't see how it's possible that Kelly and Ashley spent $9k on what they produced unless they billed for their time.

• Love 1

I remember that, but I'm not as sure what happens to the money you don't spend. Because I don't see how it's possible that Kelly and Ashley spent $9k on what they produced unless they billed for their time.

That's why I wish they'd put a list somewhere of what they bought and how much they paid. I'd like to see what the fabric that Nina calls cheap-looking actually costs. Is it really cheap fabric or is it very expensive fabric that looks cheap (which is a stupid buy, but that's another issue)? I wish they'd put something like that on their website at least.

• Love 2

It wouldn't be just fabric though, would it?  Don't they have to buy accessories as well (such as Ashley's hats, or the making of the hats?)--I'm not sure if they make up/hair would come out of that budget but perhaps the shoes do (otherwise, why would it be  a big deal to get shoes free from a friend).  Some material is very expensive even if it is cheap.,..if it has any kind of texture or threading, it can add up. 

If there's a way to spend $900 / model for what Ashley sent down the runway, I haven't been able to figure out what it was. 

Aren't the hair and make-up supplied by the show, just like they do every week?

And as someone who has bought a ton of fabric in her life, I would be really surprised if Ashley or Kelly's fabrics purchases totaled more than $3000-4000. You could make those stupid flower crowns with $15 worth of supplies from Michaels.

• Love 1

It would. I just want to know how much they spent on each thing: fabric, styling, accessories, notions, etc. -- probably so I can say, "She (or he) spent that much on that fabric? She could have spent a lot less and gotten the same cheap effect."

Also, I would like to know how much the areas they live in affect the cost of their stuff and what's available. I want to look behind the curtain and see how they create their collections. That would be a lot more interesting to me than the amped up drama.

Also, did they buy lots of fabric and not use some of it? Did they waste it? Or did they plan well before they shopped? If they buy fabric and don't use it at all, do they get to keep it?

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 1

It would. I just want to know how much they spent on each thing: fabric, styling, accessories, notions, etc. -- probably so I can say, "She (or he) spent that much on that fabric? She could have spent a lot less and gotten the same cheap effect."

Also, I would like to know how much the areas they live in affect the cost of their stuff and what's available. I want to look behind the curtain and see how they create their collections. That would be a lot more interesting to me than the amped up drama.

Also, did they buy lots of fabric and not use some of it? Did they waste it? Or did they plan well before they shopped? If they buy fabric and don't use it at all, do they get to keep it?

I would watch that web series.

whims, of course we all know about Kara Saun and shoegate, but in season three, Jeffrey had bought identical white blonde bob wigs for all his models and then couldn't use them because it would have put him over budget. He didn't argue about it, though, just didn't use them and I'm assuming they could be returned so that's why it wasn't a big deal.

Of course, Kara Saun's was such a big deal because she felt entitled to use favours and get custom shoes for free, even though the contract specifically forbade it.

I miss the days when they at least pretended to account for all the monies and make sure they did everything on the up and up. I'm sure they actually do that now, or I guess they do, but they just do it offscreen because it's not drama inducing. Either that or the producers just don't care as long as they don't ask for more money than the 9k.

I personally would have a hard time believing Ashley got any construction help on her collection, as it was only slightly less shoddy than her on-show construction. YMMV.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I just learned, in the Tim Gunn thread, the designers are not paid when on the show.  I am shocked.  Right there you have to eliminate all those who cannot afford to maintain their apartments or houses for that length of time.  Jesus.   That narrows the field.  I am grateful that my favorites were able to afford it.  There have been many standouts, all from earlier seasons though.  I wonder it this changed and they used to pay.  hmmmmm

They've never been paid as far as I know.  But keep in mind the filming takes place within the space of about a month in real time.

25 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

They've never been paid as far as I know.  But keep in mind the filming takes place within the space of about a month in real time.

They still have a month of bills (rent, car payment, cell phone, TV, electricity, water).  Unlikely young, struggling designers have a couple of grand in the bank.  They might get a better cast if they gave them enough to cover their RL expenses.  They are getting people who live with their parents.  Nothing wrong with that but it is limiting, as we see.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, wings707 said:

I just learned, in the Tim Gunn thread, the designers are not paid when on the show.  I am shocked.  Right there you have to eliminate all those who cannot afford to maintain their apartments or houses for that length of time.

Good point but does anyone know how long the actual filming schedule/commitment is? Obviously it's not week after week but day by day (aside from the finals with fashion week where they have a little bit of time for collections--not much but a bit). Are we talking about a month? Two months? Three weeks? And, if you made the cast you clearly get room and board but would TPTB also pay for your plane fare and whatever else for the duration?

Just curious.

They film the show in 30 days. This Season it was filmed the entire month of June. 
Of course the Finale is filmed separately during Fashion Week for 10 days. 1 week prior to Fashion Week as the Designers arrive in New York to prepare and do the Reunion Show. And then the Show itself and the Judging after wards. 

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080810160425AAcmVEt

So 40 days not including the time F3 spend creating their collection for the finale. 

16 hours ago, wings707 said:

I just learned, in the Tim Gunn thread, the designers are not paid when on the show.  

Don't these shows legally have to pay them like union scale or something?

2 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Don't these shows legally have to pay them like union scale or something?

Apparently not unless the poster who was on a season of PR lied.   ***shrug***

1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Apparently not unless the poster who was on a season of PR lied.   ***shrug***

I lean toward disbelief.  Mila wrote that in a recurring blog for lifetime.come.  Why would she be volunteering her time further if she didn't think she was compensated adequately for her work?  And reality tv has been around for decades, with probably tens of thousands of people now having appeared on one show or another.  If paying them nothing at all was occurring, I think there'd be a battle cry.  

I bet she meant she didn't get any money BESIDES union scale for tv appearances, as in no payment for her work as a designer.  Though she did say, "not a penny".   But she also said she got no benefits at all really from appearing besides occasionally inspiring other designers and I think that's a crock of shit.  

According to TheList the designers don't get paid. Sorry, the site won't let me copy and paste their text.

It's toward the end of the PR article. The header is about Tim Gunn's pay.

Wouldn't suprise me. I have a hard time thinking they pay union, I think that's about a gand a day for how many designers and how many days? I didn't think any reality contestants got paid. Ya' gotta be an annoying Housewife to make the big bucks.

Interesting.  I thought it was more like $1000/week, back when we used to discuss it about Idol.  I see an article that says BB contestants get $750/week, and that one is pretty low budget.  

But PR takes place pretty quickly, right, like in a month or so?  That's not that long to take a leave from your job, for the opportunity, I think.  

This is old but it says Bach contestants get no pay.  That doesn't surprise me.  That show is sleazy.  I heard they even have to pay for their own wardrobe and toiletries.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/09/14/good-question-do-reality-tv-contestants-get-paid/

5 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Interesting.  I thought it was more like $1000/week, back when we used to discuss it about Idol.  I see an article that says BB contestants get $750/week, and that one is pretty low budget.  

Me too! And I might be reading that SAG pay scale wrong or I might be upping their pay scale for them.

I was using the "performer" rate but, if they are indeed SAG, they might just be "background"? 

SAG rates.

I really don't think they get paid.  But then I'm surprised BB people get paid so what do I know? I thought the opportunity to win, and subsequent exposure was it. lol

If it's a competition show, they can pretty much write their own rules for pay.  My understanding is that Chopped contestants pay their own way, including transportation, food and hotel . . . which is one reason why it makes me wonder why they'd spend the money to compete when they can just put it towards that much-anticipated family vacation they're going to take with the $10,000 (for which they have 1 chance in 4).  

Think about it; this is like a long-term game show.  Contestants on game shows pay their own way.  

• Love 1

I was on Jeopardy, and we had to pay our own travel and lodging (although there was a nice discount on their preferred hotel.) If you win and have to fly back out again ala Ken Jennings, they'll pay for that. But even a third place finish gets you a thousand bucks, so it basically ends up a free trip to LA. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

This is a very petty thing, but is there a reason why no losing competitor can respond to Heidi saying "Auf wiedersehen" by also saying "Auf wiedersehen"?  It's not that hard to say, they've been hearing it for years, it just means goodbye.  If they have any sense of musical history (Sound of Music?), they will know the term (apart from watching years of Project Runway).  Why the white bread approach to saying goodbye?

Edited by Brookside
On 2/19/2023 at 10:25 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

It drives me crazy that I have to wait years between seasons with this show.

Survivor and The Amazing Race keep going. How difficult is it to produce Project Runway? I assume there are still fans who would watch. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Survivor and The Amazing Race keep going. How difficult is it to produce Project Runway? I assume there are still fans who would watch. 

I think the difference is that other than having a mini I’m level of fitness and being able to swim/drive stick respectively means there is still a huge talent pool.  Project Runway needs talented, preferably trained, definitely working in the field designers.  No “home designers” like some cookie ing shows have home cooks instead of professionals.  That is a limited pool, especially with Making the Cut also drawing from the same pool.  Face/Off, a wonder competition based on special effects make up, stopped a couple of years ago because there just wasn’t enough of a talent pool to draw from. 

• Useful 3

I don't know if I agree. PR never had any problems taking in contestants from all around the world.  Talented singers are still going on American Idol.  PR started in 2004 - that's a generation ago.  Some have aged out of designing and younger people have aged in.  There should be more than enough talent to fill one season.

The producers are dragging their heels for some reason that's in the background that we don't know.  I don't think a lack of talent is it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't know if I agree. PR never had any problems taking in contestants from all around the world.  Talented singers are still going on American Idol.  PR started in 2004 - that's a generation ago.  Some have aged out of designing and younger people have aged in.  There should be more than enough talent to fill one season.

The producers are dragging their heels for some reason that's in the background that we don't know.  I don't think a lack of talent is it.

The next season up is the 20th, isn't it? Maybe they're waiting to air it 2024.

On 2/25/2023 at 3:10 PM, DEL901 said:

I think the difference is that other than having a mini I’m level of fitness and being able to swim/drive stick respectively means there is still a huge talent pool.  Project Runway needs talented, preferably trained, definitely working in the field designers.  No “home designers” like some cookie ing shows have home cooks instead of professionals.  That is a limited pool, especially with Making the Cut also drawing from the same pool.  Face/Off, a wonder competition based on special effects make up, stopped a couple of years ago because there just wasn’t enough of a talent pool to draw from. 

Faceoff was a wonderful competition - quite honestly one of the best ever on tv in my opinion.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I am late to this show but maybe someone will be able to answer something.

I fell into the rabbit hole of watching the show, going backwards n the seasons but skipping the drama. I was just curious about the creativity - or lack of creativity - of the designers. sometimes I would let the whole show tun and hated the whole bitching and backstabbing.

In one of those times, I saw that some models on season one were like 16 and 17 years old. But I also saw that sometimes the editing had to blur the breasts when they were trying the outfits in the workroom. Meaning, the models were naked in front of the whole production team. Was this ever addressed in the media? How can girls who are 16 years old be forced to be naked in front of so many people?  There is not consent when you are working or trying to get visibility in the area 

Also, what was the point of showing one of the designers butt naked going into the bathroom? 

Did this happened in other seasons? Did anything come up when Weinstein  got arrested?

• Like 1

I don't follow the fashion world but I would suspect that models are used to being viewed only as mannequins for clothes and appear comfortable with undressing in a crowded room.  I would suspect that is the norm - especially backstage at a fashion show where they have to change outfits quickly. 

As for designers running butt naked to the bathroom - not a clue.  

• Like 2
On 3/5/2024 at 9:07 AM, RoxiP said:

I don't follow the fashion world but I would suspect that models are used to being viewed only as mannequins for clothes and appear comfortable with undressing in a crowded room.  I would suspect that is the norm - especially backstage at a fashion show where they have to change outfits quickly. 

As for designers running butt naked to the bathroom - not a clue.  

I get that, the job, the fast change, all that. It is still objectification and it is patriarchal, but at least most models are adults. they are pressured to comply because the industry has too many aspiring models. I used to dance and sometimes changing costumes had to be fast and was done on the wings of the stage. But I was an adult and wasn't being filmed and watched by a crew

But underage girls are legally children and the show had children forced to be naked in a room full of people. including being filmed naked. It was blurred for TV but the video exists and I don't understand how that was allowed. Unless all of them are emancipated. Still exploitation, in my opinion, and disgusting

I agree with you, but actually it is the children's parent or legal guardian who are forcing them into the exploitative situation.  

What I find rather strange is that for the most part the designers appear to be very respectful of the female models but let a hot male model in the room and the floor must become slippery with all the drooling that occurs!  

• Like 4

Where do you see that the models were underage?  I don't think their ages were ever disclosed.  

It's very common for designers to fit on a nude model, so that are they working with the way the garment will be worn.  If you watch the Valentino doc from a few years ago, you see them draping directly on the model.

• Like 1