Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: 2112

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Chief Boden meets his new neighbor, who asks him for a favor that leads to serious consequences. Severide takes offense to being treated like a candidate by Captain Patterson by undermining him during a call and the situation reaches a boiling point. Cruz receives a surprise visit from his past when Freddie, a gangbanger who knows Cruz's brother Leon, comes to visit and ask for a favor. Elsewhere, the team is called to a harrowing scene of an 18-wheeler and receive a thanks in the form of tickets to see the band Rush, much to Mouch and Herrmann's delight.

Rush was such a weird choice here.  I mean, okay, it makes some sense that Herrmann and Mouch would be fans.  But Casey and Otis are a bit young, aren't they?  I mean the band was formed like 10-15 years before they were born.

Edited by squidprincess

Rush was such a weird choice here.  I mean, okay, it makes some sense that Herrmann and Mouch would be fans.  But Casey and Otis are a bit young, aren't they?  I mean the band was formed like 10-15 years before they were born.

Eh, I don't think it's unusual. I mean, I love The Beatles and they were from before I was born. Music, good music, can span different generations.

• Love 4

I think what stood out in those concert scenes was the fact that Casey was there. Apart from Molly's with everyone or just Kelly, they never show Casey doing anything fun or hanging out with the guys from truck and their shenanigans. He's always just miserable with Super Gabby, kissing her ass, assuring her about something, apologizing, etc. Even the scene with him and Burgess chatting was strange because he's usually stuck in Gabby hell or about to be murdered somewhere. The showrunners said in an interview that Dawson/Casey are the "core of the show,"  so we're stuck with them, unfortunately.

Still can't warm to the new characters. I actually think Brett is the worst. She is a complete and total dud and I want to trade her for Mills. Him and Chili might have been cute together.

• Love 2

I tried, I mean I really tried to watch it but alas, I last just a few minutes.  Came back around the halfway point and watched a couple of more minutes and then I was DONE.  I mean DONE.  I really hate what this show has become.  It is the same recycled shit, over and over again.  I really hate how they write Gabby, always so awesome, so right.  Bullshit.

Done with watching.  I will keep reading on the off chance the writers decide to make this a great show again.  Like break up Casey & Gabby and send Gabby to Peter.

forgot to add:  My children love Cheap Trick and that band was way before they were born.  So Rush would not be that unusual.  If you pay attention to the music on commercials and all, you will hear a lot of the older music.

Edited by iluvobx
  • Love 1

I've never been so appalled at a character! "I'm gonna throw the baby!" "DON'T THROW THE BABY!" *throws the baby*  "I have to jump!" "DONT JUMP" *stupid hoe jumps* 

I wish she had gone splat.

And we also had the car accident guy antagonizing the biker gang.

And last week we had the groom running into the burning house and accomplishing nothing except getting injured so badly that he almost didn't make it to the replacement wedding.

I want to like this show, but its really become difficult.  I appreciate that writing a fire department show is a bigger challenge than writing a police show.  Police plots are full of conflict and suspense.  Fire fighting stories don't provide these elements, so there must be more than fire stories to drive the plots.  Unfortunately, the CF writers only ideas are  romance and politics and they keep re-telling the same stories.  It's sad that Casey and Gabby are the core of the show.  Some of the other characters are both believable and well written.  IMO, Chief, Herrmann, Mouch and Cruz stand miles about Casey and Gaby.  

• Love 6

So Riddle is just straight-up evil, right? Granted, the first role I saw him in was as the Yellow-Eyed Demon in Supernatural, but it's not like the portrayal (or the writing, really) here is any more subtle.

And Patterson could be an interesting character if he were shown in a more grounded way to be in a tight spot politically or in his career, but as it is, his Mean Girl posturing just makes it a fight over who's the prettiest firefighter ever. (Hint: Not you, Dallas.)

• Love 2

Patterson is weird. Yes, I get as a Captain you don't want to be overruled and undermined, but at least in this case? Kelly was right. Why would you pick THIS battle? The battle in which you were wrong but LISTEN TO YOUR INCORRECT CAPTAIN AT ALL TIMES? Like..Where they do that at?

• Love 1

I want to like this show, but its really become difficult.  I appreciate that writing a fire department show is a bigger challenge than writing a police show.  Police plots are full of conflict and suspense.  Fire fighting stories don't provide these elements, so there must be more than fire stories to drive the plots.  Unfortunately, the CF writers only ideas are  romance and politics and they keep re-telling the same stories.  It's sad that Casey and Gabby are the core of the show.  Some of the other characters are both believable and well written.  IMO, Chief, Herrmann, Mouch and Cruz stand miles about Casey and Gaby.  

This is why I miss Third Watch. It encompassed firefighters, paramedics and cops and was really well written, entertaining and at times downright suspenseful with some great storytelling.

• Love 4

This is why I miss Third Watch. It encompassed firefighters, paramedics and cops and was really well written, entertaining and at times downright suspenseful with some great storytelling.

I used to like Third Watch...but Gabby is pretty sweet daisies when compared with Cruz the Mighty Sue, imo.

I'm so thankful for Chili and Jimmy, because they bring the cute, the sweet, the funny, the male shirtlessness and it's pretty much the only positive on the show for me lately. I liked the in house gossip chain -why don't they use Gabby more often in humorous scenes? She's so much better in those, imo. 

I was happy to see Boden's MIA wife until the contrived drivel with the neighbor. And in spite of the recycling, at least Cruz had the semblance of a relevant storyline, unlike Mouch and the others.

Oh, and I think there was no mention of the second Chicago spinoff.

That's it for the good points.

Too many meh, and two heavy weights negative:

1) I'd say that Patterson and Riddle overstayed their welcome if they had been welcome  to start with (they weren't for me at least).

2) The Kick the Dog saga starring Boden and Severide needs to end. Now. I want to see them kickass, and save people, and be conflicted about.

I've already dropped CPD, I'm not far from dropping CF.

• Love 1

I think the storyline with Cruz and Freddy (was that his name?) was the only thing I really liked about this episode.

I think what stood out in those concert scenes was the fact that Casey was there. Apart from Molly's with everyone or just Kelly, they never show Casey doing anything fun or hanging out with the guys from truck and their shenanigans. He's always just miserable with Super Gabby, kissing her ass, assuring her about something, apologizing, etc. Even the scene with him and Burgess chatting was strange because he's usually stuck in Gabby hell or about to be murdered somewhere. The showrunners said in an interview that Dawson/Casey are the "core of the show,"  so we're stuck with them, unfortunately.

I couldn't agree more. It's scenes like the Rush concert or when Casey is doing his job as a lieutenant as opposed to pandering to Gaby Sue that make me like his character again. But given how vocal people are about Dawson/Casey on social media and TPTB's love for Gabby they are definitely here to stay. Also this could just be my impression but judging by a couple of interviews I've seen Monica Raymund seems to be playing herself on TV. She comes across as brash and arrogant just like her character.

I'm sort of indifferent about Chili and Borelli. Might be because we don't know much about either of them yet. In any case, I wish they'd just give us some decent rescues instead of those contrived in-house relationships. Seriously, does anyone on Chicago Fire have a social life outside of 51 where they could meet/date other people?

Edited by mycalmhidesastorm
  • Love 2

Why exactly has Severide stayed at 51? You get demoted and then told you aren't getting your original job back, plus your new boss is a total asshole; is there any reason you would want to stay working at the same place?

And Patterson could be an interesting character if he were shown in a more grounded way to be in a tight spot politically or in his career, but as it is, his Mean Girl posturing just makes it a fight over who's the prettiest firefighter ever. (Hint: Not you, Dallas.)

Yea if they made him a good guy who was just really focused on his career and politically minded that could be nice. But they just seemed to make him a villain because the house needs a villain.

Also what is up with the boden getting taken away. A few weeks ago on CPD he was shown to be poker buddies with a high ranking commander. Not that I expect the cops to cover anything up, but if these are people who know him (especially in Chicago) they should be giving him a massive amount of benefit of the doubt.

Gabby and Casey need to be a bit more discrete and keep their PDA's out of the house.

Why bother?  From their perspective: their boss knows they're romantically involved and is fine with it, their co-workers/his other subordinates know and are fine with it.  Even people like Voight knew enough to congratulate Casey on the pregnancy news.  The cat's been long out of the bag. 

Every week I think this was the dumbest episode ever, but then the next week proves me wrong. Who is writing this garbage? Framing Boden with a fake assault? There is no easier way to get him out of House 51 than getting his neighbor to vacate the property to allow a plant to move in? And Bodin wouldn't just give her a locksmith's name instead of kicking in the door? Come on, writers. We all know PD is going to investigate the neighbor and find she does this all the time and she knows Riddle and and maybe even Patterson and boom, end of story line, until the next time the brass decide they need to shake up House 51!

How ludicrous is Severide being treated like a candidate. Come on, writers.

And how cute the cheerleaders I mean professional EMTs and firefighter, all giggly over Chilli and Jimmy, talking in the girls bathroom between classes. Gah. Gabby probably had to run to Walgreens to stock up on more makeup since she surely uses up an entire container of eye shadow every day. Come on, writers.

And there are clear limits on gifts that city employees can accept (https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/ethics/supp_info/gifts.html), so nice going on accepting the Rush tickets without a second thought (come ON, writers!). Pretty sure Riddle could bring down House 51 just on this ethics violation, but that would be way too easy.

I never saw this before, I was just excited about Rush! As far as fans' ages are concerned, their concerts are packed with people born after they formed; besides that, their last album was released in 2012.

Edited by ByTor

Seriously, I saw that assault rap coming a mile away, so I don't get how a supposedly smart man like Bowden didnt' smell a rat? And while I understand wanting to help a neighbor, why would he just take off from a fire scene to go kick her door in because she left a tea kettle on the stove?

And Severide may be right about Patterson, but geez, 'why don't we step outside'? Really? I mean REALLY? I swear I don't know who's dumber, him or Bowden. Either way I'm really tired of both of them at this point.

• Love 2
Loved the Carl Edwards cameo as the pizza delivery driver! For non-NASCAR fans, Carl drives the 19 Toyota in the Sprint Cup series.

For me, this was the highlight.

I'm seriously confused by this show.  Last season it was practically a crime for Casey and Gabby to be in the same house and, horrors, on the same squad.  So there was transfer to another house where poor Gabby was persecuted and since we can't have that, there was lying and subterfuge to keep those two crazy kids in the same house.  But they broke up for reals and there was no longer any problem.  Fast forward to this season.  They're back together!!  And, guess what, it's NO problem!!!  Everybody is happy (except Riddle) and there's even kissy-face in Casey's office.  Things really changed in CFD policy or Boden didn't care anymore or NBC didn't care anymore or who cares anymore, anyway.

As to the women on this show, I actually don't mind Brett.  Don't mind Chilli either, except for the fact that she's going to break Steve McQueen's grandson's heart and I will hate her for it.  Can't we give more stories to these other female actors, shoot, let's even give Connie a storyline because I've had about all I can take of Gabby.  If Monica Whatshername left the show tomorrow I wouldn't miss her.  

If this show's track record holds true, the Boden arrest story should be resolved by the next episode (after the holidays, I presume).  I hope so.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 1

The thing that makes me so mad is that this persecution story line makes me hold my breath about each and every other story line throughout the entire episode.  I hold my breath waiting to see what's going to go wrong with each and every character. It needs to end weeks ago and please put our Severide back in charge of his team where he belongs.  

Just watched the episode and I liked the in house stuff with Mouch, Hermann and Rush. As well as the girls gossiping about Jimmy/Chilli and then Otis getting involved and offering Jimmy his advice.

The rest? Meh. Dallas's insecurities over Severide seem more like his own issues then based on anything Severide is really doing. It's hard to get behind this though because realistically if you were going to demote a Lieutenant then I don't get why one would leave him working with his old squad. Surely that would make the transition harder. I get Boden's loyal and Dallas is evil but not moving Severide is only going to make the situation worse.

Don't even get me started with the neighbour crap. This is such an awful storyline and it's obvious Boden will be cleared but I can see it going on and on and on and on.

I have to take issue with Boden's actions, no matter that they are in the service of the plot.  By procedure, he should have called the incident into his command center, with an address so that it would be documented.  And maybe get the PD involved, as he is actually breaking into someone's house on the tenant's word.  I can speak from experience on this.  Early in my career a caretaker for the house trailer next to the station came over and said she was worried that the elderly owner had fallen or something, as she was responding and the doors were locked.  So I cut a window screen and entered, thinking I was doing a good service.  The owner, who was out shopping, cam home later and accused me of theft of some items.  She yelled at me, my boss yelled at me, the command center yelled at me...fortunately the caretaker backed up my story, even though she got fired.  Experience gained cheaply.

And Mr. Patterson.  Under no circumstances do you go confronting your employees after hours.  Severide could easily drop the hammer on him for harassment for that little stunt.  And I don't think you can suspend someone for off duty actions while your off duty.

• Love 2

Totally agree, dowel jones. This episode highlights how this show has become just so out of touch with reality and quite unsuccessful at creating its own alternate reality. And it has made every character a one-note 100 percent "nice" or "evil" instead of giving them nuances of both. I would love to see Casey get attracted to another woman, for example, as even nice people do in real life, or Severide to have provided some real reason to be demoted other than "too much turnover" (puh-leeze, as if he is responsible for personnel), which would have then allowed Patterson to not be the 100 percent evil guy.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh

The odd thing is that if they really wanted reasons to demote Severide, they could have used how he mismanaged the Rice thing last season.  (or for that manner some of the crap he pulled in earlier seasons: such as hiding a career ending injury or repeatedly confronting his alleged sexual harassment victim, or the general mouthing off to his superiors.)  But they've focused solely on things that he hasn't had control over, so there is the feeling that he is being unfairly treated.

Though, I disagree about wanting Casey to get attracted to another woman.  We have seen that: when Casey was attracted to Dawson when he was involved with Hallie.  I'd rather see Casey get taken to task for the blatant violation of fraternization rules.  He's the one that Riddle should be calling out, not Dawson.

Yea the getting demoted for staff turn over doesn't make much sense. If you consider that rescue squad it a demanding, high risk and high stress job (more than working as a regular fire fighter), people not lasting long there should be expected. I mean you wouldn't see a guy like Mouch spending his whole career in squad. How can you blame him for either time Mills left, or the guy who inhaled fumes or the guy who was an arson? If they had kept Severide as the badboy character who plays by his own rules (but gets results, you stupid chief!), that would have worked better. But they kind of dropped that part of the character.

Don't mind Chilli either, except for the fact that she's going to break Steve McQueen's grandson's heart and I will hate her for it.

Not for nothing, but if everyone went right ahead and referred to Borelli consistently as "Steve McQueen's grandson," I wouldn't mind it. I know, I know: I'm sure Steven R. McQueen takes his craft seriously, and doesn't want to be known only because of his namesake status, blahblah famouscakes. It would amuse me as much as anything else connected to this crazy show. Indulge me.

ETA: I wish I could fix the formatting so I could quote limecoke properly. Sorry 'bout that.

Edited by Sandman

Not for nothing, but if everyone went right ahead and referred to Borelli consistently as "Steve McQueen's grandson," I wouldn't mind it. I know, I know: I'm sure Steven R. McQueen takes his craft seriously, and doesn't want to be known only because of his namesake status, blahblah famouscakes. It would amuse me as much as anything else connected to this crazy show. Indulge me.

I propose an amendment to: "Steve McQueen's grandson's abs." Let's be honest. His six-pack is all that's acting.

• Love 1

Well, Steven R. McQueen in a triple threat for me...seriously gorgeous, Steve McQueen's grandson and (cherry on top), the stepson of Luc Robitaille, my favorite of all time NHL/Los Angeles Kings hockey player.  (Go Kings.)  Chilli better watch it.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 1