Type keyword(s) to search

Robyn Brown: She wanted the family, but got stuck with the man.

• Start Topic

Deer are very common in my little mountain town in the Canadian Rockies. Except here, the deer are not "nice and safe". Over the past two decades, generations of deer have been born within town limits and have become habituated to life among people, to the point of seeking out food in dumpsters and garbage cans; birthing fawns and mating in people's front yards; and charging, stomping and in some cases stalking dogs and children. For the most part, the deer are relatively harmless, but it is a mistake to teach children that deer who live near people are "nice and safe". They are not your pet dog or goldfish. They are wild animals and should be left alone, and viewed with caution. 

A female deer gave birth to twins in the yard of my former house two years ago, then immediately left them alone while she found food. This is normal behaviour in the wild, and fawns instinctually know how to hide, but what should have been their mother's healthy natural fear of humans was not present anymore. Where she left them in my yard, they had no way to hide except lay still, as there were no trees nearby. A wild, non-habituated deer would likely stash them under bushes, etc to keep them from view of predators. 

My current house is on a small acreage backing on to a large wild field, about 10 minutes from town. We have no deer, but regularly have elk in the yard, and the field, and enjoy watching their calves run and play in the spring/summer. They are wild, and very skittish around humans, But believe me, I am under no delusions that they are "nice and safe" and will be teaching my barely 1 year old daughter to stay away from them, and to not bother or harass them in any way.  

• Love 11
13 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Question:  what is a dab?

My first thought was that it's something his mama taught him.  Dab at the inside corner of your eye with your finger, then look at the eye boogers you've accumulated.

But, in fact, I suspect it's this.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

Thanks AZ, you can tell I'm old and out of it a lot of the time ;)

I'm probably older than you (71), and if it weren't for Google, I'd have NO idea of half of what I encounter these days.

• Love 6

Do you suppose Dayton will live at home while attending NAU?  Maybe that will compensate for the out of state tuition.  It's $10,390 for tuition if you are in state and $24,654 out of state.  Obviously after the first year he will be in state but that is a chunk of change for them the first year.  He could have gone to UNLV in state for $6,551 (tuition).  

• Love 1

NAU has a Flagstaff campus. Perhaps that’s where he is attending. Depending on what the residency requirements are, they could have set up an address in time. But this is the Browns.

ETA: normally it’s 12 months but there are exceptions. One is:

Legal Dependent

You may be classified as a resident if you can establish that on or before the last day of course enrollment, you are living in Arizona, the home of your parent(s) is in Arizona, and your parent(s) is entitled to claim you as an exemption for federal and state tax purposes.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 1
On 8/21/2018 at 11:33 AM, Roslyn said:

Our little valley had an albino fawn born 2 years ago.  He is quite the sight.  Even from a distance under the moonlight he has a natural glow to him because of the way his coat reflects the light.  I can understand why albino deer have such a mystical past seeing him. 

However his eyes are not soul searching any human...they are only on the local ladies...

Can you post a picture, please? I've never seen albino deer.  Where I live at the base of the foothills we have had many animals in our yard: foxes, raccoons, rabbits, baby bunnies (so cute!), coyotes, wild turkeys, kestrels, many types of birds, and the resident owl.  One day as we were leaving Mass (about two miles away) a herd of elk were in a large grassy area by the school--dozens of them. It was quite the sight to see. I think that many of the Browns look healthier and happier.  I know many people love Vegas, but it doesn't seem to be the best place to raise a family. I hope they continue to enjoy their beautiful new environment; it looks lovely. 

• Love 4
On 8/21/2018 at 10:15 AM, Galloway Cave said:

When all the critters on my property look at me, they are daring me to make them move off "their" piece of land, even the can't-see-for-shit javelina. They really don't care about my soul. 

You said it. They look at me and likely think, "When are you going to plant more corn, beans, lettuce and tomatoes for us to mow down?" A fortress is required for gardens up here, unlike any other place I've ever cultivated. We also have open range cattle--if you don't have barbed wire, consider your trees eaten. 

Not sure how bad it is up in Flag with critters eating gardens but if they do, Robyn might not think they're so cute anymore. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Roslyn said:

This is probably the best snap I have of him, taken at the end of this Spring.   Most are white blob dots because of the distance and my camera on my phone isn't the best.  It's officially confirmed.  We have now seen him at less than 10 feet (standing next to the road when we were passing) and he is male and has the 6 inch button starter antlers.  His antlers are white as well, just a slightly darker kind of eggshell white.  The way his coat reflects light he always has an internal glow about him. Most sightings are at night in this hay field across from our property. I drive my son to work and this area is chocker block full of deer.

5b968a3074999_croppedwhitey.thumb.jpg.689f7528521eee078c233bdfa5037db3.jpg

If you're a Harry Potter fan, you'll understand why this picture makes me want to say "Expecto Patronum"!!!!

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 20
18 hours ago, AZChristian said:

If you're a Harry Potter fan, you'll understand why this picture makes me want to say "Expecto Patronum"!!!!

I was totally going to say this!!! This beautiful creature is otherworldly. @Roslyn Thank you for the picture. What a special thing to witness. When my husband and I were first married, we spent three years in a large valley surrounded by mountains. One day we were driving and in a large field near the nature reserve there were thousands and thousands of Sandhill Cranes. In the midst of those thousands of darker cranes was a single white Whooping Crane; they are rare and endangered. We were mesmerized and felt as though we were given a gift. Sorry, I just realized that I'm off topic; I'll behave now. 

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, LoneWolf said:

I was totally going to say this!!! This beautiful creature is otherworldly. @Roslyn Thank you for the picture. What a special thing to witness. When my husband and I were first married, we spent three years in a large valley surrounded by mountains. One day we were driving and in a large field near the nature reserve there were thousands and thousands of Sandhill Cranes. In the midst of those thousands of darker cranes was a single white Whooping Crane; they are rare and endangered. We were mesmerized and felt as though we were given a gift. Sorry, I just realized that I'm off topic; I'll behave now. 

You are very welcome!

Bird migrations are amazing to experience.  I remember visiting areas in Lancaster County for the Snow Geese migration and the Tundra Swans when we lived there.  We have several migrations around the house, you have to be outside at the right time to catch when the goldfinches swarm through and every fall there is a bird (I can't remember atm) that fills the trees through the valley and then in the blink of an eye they are all up and gone, the sky goes black and then poof.  Silence.

I have had many up close and personal experiences with wildlife, one of the perks of living most of my life in the woods.

If Robyn thinks that catching a deer up close is "magical" she should have a young Red-Tailed Hawk land on the patio chair next to her and have a conversation with her!! Or experience a night time fly by from a Great Horned Owl. ;)

• Love 4
On 9/11/2018 at 10:59 AM, Roslyn said:

You are very welcome!

Bird migrations are amazing to experience.  I remember visiting areas in Lancaster County for the Snow Geese migration and the Tundra Swans when we lived there.  We have several migrations around the house, you have to be outside at the right time to catch when the goldfinches swarm through and every fall there is a bird (I can't remember atm) that fills the trees through the valley and then in the blink of an eye they are all up and gone, the sky goes black and then poof.  Silence.

I have had many up close and personal experiences with wildlife, one of the perks of living most of my life in the woods.

If Robyn thinks that catching a deer up close is "magical" she should have a young Red-Tailed Hawk land on the patio chair next to her and have a conversation with her!! Or experience a night time fly by from a Great Horned Owl. ;)

My husband, though in law enforcement, has a degree in wildlife biology and he's been putting out different feeds and luring a variety of birds to our yard. It's very enjoyable to see all different colours flitting about. He also builds kestrel nest boxes and this year got to band a baby kestrel. My 11 year old got to hold it as well. I love where we live. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

My husband, though in law enforcement, has a degree in wildlife biology

@Lone Wolf, get that man into a game warden position! I was a game warden for 20 years, best job in the world! I also have a wildlife degree; he will be able to do a lot with it after he retires. And excellent job with the kestrel boxes!

• Love 6

I have a white skunk who comes to my bird feeder in the evening to eat the seeds in the ground. We were very interested in each other and then I decided that I would probably get the worse end of this relationship.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, neh said:

I have a white skunk who comes to my bird feeder in the evening to eat the seeds in the ground. We were very interested in each other and then I decided that I would probably get the worse end of this relationship.

I absolutely love skunks.  We have one that lives under our house and he is more than welcome to stay.  My husband sits on our porch at night and this big guy just meanders past him, they look at each other, and he heads off to his sleeping quarters.  I have held baby skunks before (rescues) and man, were they sweet.  But in the wild, I do like to keep my distance.  A baby startled me early one morning as I did him/her.  Luckily I wasn't sprayed.  He was literally under my feet that were up on a chair.  I don't think my boss would have ever let me live that down because I would have had to call in.  

• Love 5
On 9/13/2018 at 3:24 PM, Natalie68 said:

I absolutely love skunks.  We have one that lives under our house and he is more than welcome to stay.  My husband sits on our porch at night and this big guy just meanders past him, they look at each other, and he heads off to his sleeping quarters.  I have held baby skunks before (rescues) and man, were they sweet.  But in the wild, I do like to keep my distance.  A baby startled me early one morning as I did him/her.  Luckily I wasn't sprayed.  He was literally under my feet that were up on a chair.  I don't think my boss would have ever let me live that down because I would have had to call in.  

I have had to call work due to wildlife. Yellowstone National Park I was late because a bison was standing at my front door. Another time, it was an elk. And then we ALL stayed inside when a grizzly sow brought her 2 cubs into the housing area to play with some toys left outside. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

I have had to call work due to wildlife. Yellowstone National Park I was late because a bison was standing at my front door. Another time, it was an elk. And then we ALL stayed inside when a grizzly sow brought her 2 cubs into the housing area to play with some toys left outside. 

No w that it what I call wildlife, Turtle!  I think the skunk looked in to soul and thought that I could use some Eau de Pew.

• Love 8

The way he interacts with Robyn and their two little ones, it's as if this is his real family and the rest are his side pieces even though they came first. I wonder how much the older children resent Robin and her kids.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Nysha said:

The way he interacts with Robyn and their two little ones, it's as if this is his real family and the rest are his side pieces even though they came first. I wonder how much the older children resent Robin and her kids.

I remember one episode from the rental house time where Savannah was sitting on the stairs talking about her dad.  She said that she hadn't seen her dad in a week.  She looked so sad.  The point of the episode was how terrible living in the rental houses were.  Much pissing and moaning was involved and they couldn't be a faaaamily because their circumstances were so terrible.  

And who can forget the episode where Kody couldn't be bothered when the older girls tried to tell him how sick Truely was.  You know, the time she almost died.  But now Kody is father of the year with Robyn's kids.?  OK then.  Happy to see he doesn't play favorites.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 16

Wasn't there an episode where Kody "had to take" the younger girls on some sort of adventure/trip and he whined like the whole time they were planning it or convincing him to do it?  I don't think that Kody gives a crap about his girls and the boys - as long as they love wrestling and are good at it and don't eat pork - they are his favorites.  It makes me wonder what type of relationship he has with Logan - who gave up the religion and has been living with his girlfriend, now fiance, for years and drinks, as well as Gabe? - the one who went to the Air Force Academy and we all know how Kody feels about the military.

• Love 6
On 8/21/2018 at 10:33 AM, Roslyn said:

However his eyes are not soul searching any human...they are only on the local ladies...

That is how I feel about our neighborhood Sasquatch, several of the ladies say when he peers into their bedroom windows at night, its like he is touching their soul.   ... i kid

image.png.f48f88823d23e983cd12283959ed991c.png

• Love 2

One of my granddaughters made these and other ghoulish treats to take to her office Hallowe'en festivities for probably 1/10th the price Robyn will shell out for bakery items and they looked just as professionally created.  Google has lots of recipes and Robyn must have lots of free time, I'm sure Ari is out of diapers and no longer being breastfed, unless she is swamped with orders for SW Closet Christmas ornaments from 2012 and on that didn't sell the first time around.

I can not imagine where the money is coming from for these extravagant treats as well as Janelle's $15 takeout lunches.  No one but Meri appears to be making any money and I'm pretty sure she isn't tossing her Lulano earnings into the communal pot.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, suomi said:

Fingers. Dead fingers. The almonds are the fingernails. Ewww.

Thank you.  I agree, ew.

Sandy, either TLC pays much more than we realize? or the Browns are running up credit card debt up to their eyeballs!  (see what I did there? Seemed apropos, with the lovely and no doubt pricey Halloween treats.)  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Thank you.  I agree, ew.

Sandy, either TLC pays much more than we realize? or the Browns are running up credit card debt up to their eyeballs!  (see what I did there? Seemed apropos, with the lovely and no doubt pricey Halloween treats.)  

HaHa, debt up to their eyeballs, or they have their fingers in pies we don't know of...

• Love 1

I'm doing a graveyard cake for my nephew's littles this year. Chocolate cake, white frosting for snow, dig a grave, mound crumbled Oreos for the "dirt" dug out for the mini coffin from the dollar store, skeletons lounging around, wafers for head stones, pretzel sticks for a fence. $10-12 tops, right?

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

What's wrong with buying some cute Halloween treats?

Life is short: Buy the pastries!

Gothish, that is the most inspirational thing I have read in a long time. I may have to embroider a pillow with that saying.  "Life is short: By the pastries!" is my new mantra.

• Love 7

If I had one of those pillows it would quote Alice Roosevelt Longworth's pillow: IF YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETHING GOOD ABOUT SOMEONE, SIT RIGHT HERE BY ME.

That inspired me when I was young and I've always tried to live up to her example. ;-)

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, neh said:

Gothish, that is the most inspirational thing I have read in a long time. I may have to embroider a pillow with that saying.  "Life is short: By the pastries!" is my new mantra.

Aww, thank you! :) I firmly believe there is nothing wrong with indulging in a little treat every once in awhile. I'm not talking about stiffing your bills or skipping a mortgage payment, but you have to live a little.

@Kohola3, if I lived close to you I would take you out for a good cup of coffee and a fancy pastry. But first I'd give you a hug. :)

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Aww, thank you! :) I firmly believe there is nothing wrong with indulging in a little treat every once in awhile. I'm not talking about stiffing your bills or skipping a mortgage payment, but you have to live a little.

@Kohola3, if I lived close to you I would take you out for a good cup of coffee and a fancy pastry. But first I'd give you a hug. :)

Gothish, you have changed my life.  As I celebrate my 68th bday, my new guiding principles is :Life is too short: Buy the pastries eat the chocolate!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, neh said:

Gothish, you have changed my life.  As I celebrate my 68th bday, my new guiding principles is :Life is too short: Buy the pastries eat the chocolate!

Gothish, I am going to have to make a really big pillow. After thinking about I need it to read "Life is too short: Buy the pastries, eat the chocolate and drink the wine !"

• Love 7
1 hour ago, neh said:

Gothish, I am going to have to make a really big pillow. After thinking about I need it to read "Life is too short: Buy the pastries, eat the chocolate and drink the wine !"

Omg, even better! I would buy that pillow!!! :D

• Love 5