Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

I don’t love Mayo but this is a vintage recipe that apparently their family enjoys. Some people (I’m not one of them) loves Mayo. I’m pretty sure we could all post a familiar family recipe and half of us would go “blecch”. We don’t all like the same things. That being said I think these people are idiots. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 23

I have a recipe for pie crust titled "Mom's Pie Crust". My mom wrote it out as "mom's" and so did her mother, so it is at least my great-grandmother's recipe. I get why Janelle likes a recipe handed down through generations. They are fun.

My pie crust recipe calls for a certain number of "level tablespoons of water". And it took this many generations, before someone...ME...finally said "uh...what the hell is that about? As opposed to HEAPING tablespoons of water? Just how bad WAS the water, back in the day?"

Yep, make sure you level off that spoonful of water, people. Yikes. Great-grandpa must have had to eat some gritty-ass pie crust! 😆

• LOL 23
6 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

Yep, make sure you level off that spoonful of water, people. Yikes. Great-grandpa must have had to eat some gritty-ass pie crust! 😆

Yes, but Grandma must have learned that a level spoonful is a more accurate measure. The most a spoon can hold with the top of the water domed up by surface tension can be nearly twice the volume of a 'level' spoonful. That makes for a very sticky dough which requires more flour to be added resulting in a heavy, tough pie crust instead of a light, flakey one. If Grandma was born in the 1800s, however, a "tablespoon" was often one of her regular serving spoons, not part of a set w/regulated sizes.   

• Useful 9
  • Love 6
54 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Yes, but Grandma must have learned that a level spoonful is a more accurate measure. The most a spoon can hold with the top of the water domed up by surface tension can be nearly twice the volume of a 'level' spoonful. That makes for a very sticky dough which requires more flour to be added resulting in a heavy, tough pie crust instead of a light, flakey one. If Grandma was born in the 1800s, however, a "tablespoon" was often one of her regular serving spoons, not part of a set w/regulated sizes.   

So true about the "tablespoon" and it would never have been exact.  Different cutlery manufacturers would produce spoons they called tablespoons that could vary greatly in capacity.

Also "cups" could have been anything from a small china teacup to one of the huge "breakfast" cups and saucers used for that wake-up cup of tea.  I guess trial and error was the game plan, maybe designating "this cup" and "this spoon" for the best results.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

Also "cups" could have been anything from a small china teacup to one of the huge "breakfast" cups and saucers used for that wake-up cup of tea.  I guess trial and error was the game plan, maybe designating "this cup" and "this spoon" for the best results.

And most cooks didn't really measure (until someone asked for the recipe), they added the amount that looked right or felt right when it came to dough.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, deirdra said:

And most cooks didn't really measure (until someone asked for the recipe), they added the amount that looked right or felt right when it came to dough.

My mom was like that with lots of types of food...when you asked, it was "Well, I'll try to figure out some amounts for a recipe..." because she was just throwing stuff together in the amounts that worked for her.

I bet Janelle likes a really specific recipe, she doesn't seem like the type who would be good at adjusting on the fly. But, she seems to be trying to make more things, which is good...I think half her problem with cooking, and a lot of other things, is she paralyzes herself with fear of what could go wrong before she even gets started.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Sandy W said:

One of my grandmother's cookbooks calls for a water glass of flour and a teacup of sugar.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

One of my grandmother's cookbooks calls for a water glass of flour and a teacup of sugar.

And grandma never thought people would be drinking tea out of 10-oz mugs or water out of 16-oz glasses as the norm.

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
21 hours ago, deirdra said:

My Puerto Rican auntie made the most delectable arroz con pollo I've ever had.  Perfection on a plate.  

I tried to get the recipe from her.  Yup, no measurements.  She had been making it so long that she could just tell by looking if the quantity was correct.  

I asked her, "How much XXX?"  

Her reply unvaryingly:  "Until it looks right."  😢

I finally just used her list of ingredients (without any measurements) and made countless attempts to replicate her arroz con pollo until I finally got it right.  

This thread has reminded me that I need to actually write down the recipe to pass along to Mini Persnickety to save her some frustration in her future cooking endeavors 🤔

• Love 20

Hey, it's probably coming up on Strive With Janelle's New Year's Rockstar Plexus Resolution Fitness Exercise Accountability Program!  Which will start on January 1!  Or later - it will depend on how far out of whack Janelle's routine is and how her gut is feeling.  So, it might start January 10!  Or maybe January 20 - that will give everyone plenty of time to sign up and pay the $199.95 for their personalized 3-week program, overseen by Janelle and some other person who I think is a certifiable certified health coach too?  Or maybe January is just too darn busy so she'll probably start it on February 1.  Unless it's raining, or snowing, or Janelle finds another stash of Christmas candy that she forgot to eat....you know what, she'll start it in March.  So be ready!!

Edited by laurakaye
  • LOL 18

My mother and grandmothers were all terrible cooks so I have no vague but personal recipe cards.

Instead, I rely on the internet or what looks right.  Last night I made chicken tortilla soup and eyeballed the cumin, cayenne and chili powder.

• Love 10

So I take it the Renew Reset is a Plexus gig and not a Strive thing?

Who needs that silly exercise stuff anyway when you can chug a questionably-shaped container full of pink sugar and chemical water and suddenly you're cured of everything.

Also, January 17 - lololol.  I was close. :)

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, laurakaye said:

Also, January 17 - lololol.  I was close. :)

🤣 You were close! It all comes down to when Janelle's holiday leftovers run out.

I think it should be called "New Year, New You!.....You know, eventually."

• LOL 12
6 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

So I take it the Renew Reset is a Plexus gig and not a Strive thing?

Indeed, it’s Plexus.

New Year - NEW YOU! The time is here - RENEW YOU IN 2022!!! From intermittent fasting to meal plans - you pick and choose a plan that works for you!!! Gain more energy, better sleep, loose weight, gain mental clarity, improve gut health and so much more! Recipes, exercise routines, community, accountability and of course PRIZES!! 28 days to see how amazing these products truly are - all you have to do is bring your willingness to seek change & a better version of you!! Starts Jan 17th - 60 day money back guarantee on ALL combos and products. 

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 7
  • Love 1

A while ago, we renamed Christine’s thread to something more appropriate. We had some fun playing with Kody’s. Has someone already suggested Janelle’s thread? When I scroll back, it’s only about RV’s, Plexus and food or her cooking efforts. I’m sure we can conjure up something new and fun with that?

With a little nod to Chef Gordon Ramsay, I’m thinking Janelle’s Hell’s Kitchen and Plexus repairs or Janelle’s Kitchen Nightmares. Or maybe the RV kitchen road trip to hell and back? I’m sure you can best me here😉

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, LilyD said:

A while ago, we renamed Christine’s thread to something more appropriate. We had some fun playing with Kody’s. Has someone already suggested Janelle’s thread? When I scroll back, it’s only about RV’s, Plexus and food or her cooking efforts. I’m sure we can conjure up something new and fun with that?

With a little nod to Chef Gordon Ramsay, I’m thinking Janelle’s Hell’s Kitchen and Plexus repairs or Janelle’s Kitchen Nightmares. Or maybe the RV kitchen road trip to hell and back? I’m sure you can best me here😉

Janelle Brown: Cooking up Pink Drinks in the RV Sink. It's very Dr. Seuss. 

• LOL 17
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

And It looks like Plexus has done Janelle ZERO good. She looks the same as ever. Terrible advertising when the person selling it shows no improvement themselves. 

I'm not claiming Plexus did it, but I've been thinking her girth was somewhat smaller recently than a few years back.  It could be my perception is off.  I'm too lazy at the moment to gather photos to check.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Absolom said:

I'm not claiming Plexus did it, but I've been thinking her girth was somewhat smaller recently than a few years back.  It could be my perception is off.  I'm too lazy at the moment to gather photos to check.

Janelle doesn’t look much different to me. She still has that huge lower belly stuffed into her jeans in the photo. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

And It looks like Plexus has done Janelle ZERO good. She looks the same as ever. Terrible advertising when the person selling it shows no improvement themselves. 

She usually looks like she just got out of bed to open the door….just like there on that picture!

Edited by LilyD
Needed to finish a sentence
  • Love 4
On 12/29/2021 at 7:41 PM, LilyD said:

My response to LilyD's fun suggestion to rename the thread. 

"F*** Off"

Edited by jacksgirl
No ill-will towards LilyD or anyone else.
  • LOL 21
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

She looks better in the picture than she usually does...a lesson in filtering one's photos, as her dear sister wife Meri does?  😜

Perhaps those Plexus bottles are really the shape of Mason jars.

• LOL 9
2 hours ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

Mods, can we lock this down right now please?

I believe that The eff off is quoting what Janelle said to Kody in the episode, so is a suggestion to rename her thread that 

Edited by WhatAmIWatching
  • Love 6

7 minutes ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

I believe that The eff off is quoting what Janelle said to Kody in the episode, so is a suggestion to rename her thread that 

I hesitate to speak for someone else but I think Highland Warrior Girl was suggesting that the re-naming of the thread to *F**k Off is so good that it should not be open for further discussion.  I don't think she was calling the Mods attention to suggest that the language was inappropriate.

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
4 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

I hesitate to speak for someone else but I think Highland Warrior Girl was suggesting that the re-naming of the thread to *F**k Off is so good that it should not be open for further discussion.  I don't think she was calling the Mods attention to suggest that the language was inappropriate.

Ohhh haha, oops! Forgive me, I just came from reading contentious posts in a different place and still had that mindset.

In that case, I agree! It's the best thing Janelle has ever said.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, deirdra said:

So this is a Plexus challenge? Ugh! Is she getting a 16-day head start on her sucker followers?

She's starting her challenge off on Betty White Challenge Day so the competition is fierce. This will get no attention and be a colossal failure, as usual.

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

I love these forums and am grateful for the mods who keep it all positive. 

• Love 8
On 1/3/2022 at 5:52 PM, ginger90 said:

2DE58E5B-003D-4A7B-A24B-E9F1353F9505.jpeg

D7E3B38B-B125-43C4-89FC-99CBA0C2AC36.jpeg

What was it, a whole 5 minute workout? And isn’t it a bit late of her to allow herself “only to be worried about her workout or self care time”—isn’t that something our trained professional should have been doing for years now? 

🙄

• LOL 12