Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

42 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Mine was done on an outpatient basis, and kind of came up fast.  I had a horrible gall bladder attack (sent me to the ER) on a Thursday, was told it was GB and advised to see a surgeon.  Went home, called a doctor who had done a minor surgery on me.  They said they could see me on Monday.  I told him that I was leaving on a cruise in 10 days, and had to be in good shape.  He did the surgery on Tuesday, and by the time I left on the cruise, I had forgotten all about the surgery.  They do it laproscopically, so there isn't a big incision and lots of stitches.  I was a little careful with what I ate the first couple of weeks, but now I eat whatever I want.

Good luck . . . keep us posted!

Wow, AZ, I need to hear this stuff right now!  I know I am probably way more worried abou this than necessary.  I kind of wish they could have done it last week so I didn't have a week to obsess, but I wanted the same anesthesiologist I had for my arm surgery and this was the earliest I could get him - I just got lucky because his schedule was rather full.  I'll keep you all posted!

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I know I am probably way more worried abou this than necessary.

If you nave it done before you get into a "crisis" mode (as I did) the surgery is a quick one with a fast recovery.  Think positive!

• Love 5

My husband had his gallbladder removed in a non-emergency but certainly unplanned  surgery.  I swear he looked better immediately after surgery, even all groggy and not quite recovered.

The day after he was released from the hospital, he went to a big business convention.  No issues at all.  

• Love 8
10 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Mine was done on an outpatient basis, and kind of came up fast.  I had a horrible gall bladder attack (sent me to the ER) on a Thursday, was told it was GB and advised to see a surgeon.  Went home, called a doctor who had done a minor surgery on me.  They said they could see me on Monday.  I told him that I was leaving on a cruise in 10 days, and had to be in good shape.  He did the surgery on Tuesday, and by the time I left on the cruise, I had forgotten all about the surgery.  They do it laproscopically, so there isn't a big incision and lots of stitches.  I was a little careful with what I ate the first couple of weeks, but now I eat whatever I want.

Good luck . . . keep us posted!

Yeah No.  I had mine out like AZChristian.  Real simple and easy.  My surgery was at 10 am and I was home by 2 pm.  Other than a little nausea from the pain meds, I was okay.  Was only supposed to be off work for two weeks.  But as I work in a factory and did heavy lifting I pushed it to three weeks.  Not much pain just a few little cuts and one stitch.  You will be alright.  

• Love 6

Wow, you all have no idea how encouraging this is for me!  I feel much better now - have to be at the hospital at 6:00 a.m. so I'm off to bed.  Fortunately I'm not in crisis/attack mode so that's good!  I'll check in afterward, and thanks so much again everyone!

• Love 12
On 9/9/2018 at 1:39 PM, Yeah No said:

I gained weight during menopause and have not been able to lose that much for years now no matter what diet I follow.  I have great difficulty losing weight and have to go down lower in calories than most people to lose anything.  The only thing that has really worked for me is what I call "the gallbladder diet", which consists of only those things I can eat after a gallbladder attack.  That includes, fresh fruit, vegetables (including potatoes and starchy vegetables), whole grains, including oatmeal and oat bars, bread in moderation, lean fish and poultry.  I can also have the occasional fat free treat like yogurt or frozen yogurt and fig bars.  I CAN'T have any processed, fatty meats other than the "real turkey breast" from the supermarket, any meat with fat on it, pork, beef, oils (except for a tiny amount to line a pan), butter, cheese (except for fat free), cream (fat free milk is OK), mayonnaise, or just about anything else with more than a few grams of fat per serving.  I usually stick to green tea.  I can't go over about 1200 calories a day, which isn't hard when my gallbladder acts up because my appetite goes down.  The weight comes off.  I think Janelle should go on this kind of diet.  Whatever she's doing isn't working but I think my diet would work for her even if she has a hard time losing weight.  Although it's not an easy diet, the one thing that's made it easier to stay on is that if I go off it I get a sharp pain in my side, LOL.  That'll keep anyone good!

BTW, I'm having my gallbladder removed this coming Tuesday.  I've had one attack too many, I'm done.  But at least I learned what I have to do to lose weight!  

Good luck with your surgery!  I had mine out 10 years ago.  You still have to watch some of your diet and how/when you can eat certain foods (at least that is my experience) but not having an attack is wonderful.  For me, I cannot eat citrus or yogurt on am empty stomach or its awful!  I went back to work exactly one week after surgery.  I was scared and still in pain but pushed through it.  I think it was what I needed because the day after that shift I felt miles better.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Well, my gallbladder is out and other than some pain, swelling, soreness and feeling tired, I'm doing very well.  I was home and taking a 3 hour nap by 1:00 in the afternoon.  I'm sticking with a light, low fat diet for now and as I get better I'll reintroduce more foods a little at a time to see how I do with them.  I generally inherited my Dad's digestive system, so I'm hopeful that like him I will be able to eat normally after a while.  

I was very lucky because the hospital I went to is excellent and everyone there is truly outstanding in just about every way.  I've been there many times for doctor appointments, tests including a full surgery 2 years ago, and every single time they exceeded my expectations.  

Thanks again to everyone here.  Most of my good friends live at a distance (and a local one is on vacation overseas right now) so it truly touched me that so many of you were there to provide such fantastic support.

I had mine out 2 years ago and my stomach has never been the same. I have to plan my eating times when and where I am near a bathroom. The first month after the surgery was really bad, but then got a little better. Now if I eat fatty foods or red meat I really get a stomach ache. I hope you do better than I did.  

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Well, my gallbladder is out and other than some pain, swelling, soreness and feeling tired, I'm doing very well.  I was home and taking a 3 hour nap by 1:00 in the afternoon.  I'm sticking with a light, low fat diet for now and as I get better I'll reintroduce more foods a little at a time to see how I do with them.  I generally inherited my Dad's digestive system, so I'm hopeful that like him I will be able to eat normally after a while.  

Great news - now take the time to mend.  You may end up with some issues with eating but nothing that can't be managed.  Go easy on the fatty stuff at first to test things out. Sorry if this is too descriptive but my surgeon suggested I  take fiber (which seems counter-intuitive) due to diarrhea when I first started eating regular meals.  Worked great.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Sandy W said:

By all means  Janelle, save those precious moments it would take to 'spiralize' your own veggies. That will give you more time to blog about how busy and rushed you are.

And more time to inhale a bag of Fritos after the healthy meal. Which I am convinced happens!

• Love 5
10 hours ago, bamaview said:

I had mine out 2 years ago and my stomach has never been the same. I have to plan my eating times when and where I am near a bathroom. The first month after the surgery was really bad, but then got a little better. Now if I eat fatty foods or red meat I really get a stomach ache. I hope you do better than I did. 

I was one of the 10% who couldn't have tomato paste or anything made with tomato paste, but other than that was fine.  My daughter ended up going vegetarian because she had trouble with fat and red meat also.  She has had only rare problems since changing her diet.  Her husband wanted to go vegetarian anyway so it was fairly easy for them.

Janelle lives to make her life complicated.  I have no need for "spiralized" vegies and I'm losing a steady .5 to 1 pound a week.  Just figure out a week of meals you either like or at least can tolerate that come in at 1200 to 1300 calories a day and stick with it.  Walk 10% more each week than the week prior until you reach your goal time/distance.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Great news - now take the time to mend.  You may end up with some issues with eating but nothing that can't be managed.  Go easy on the fatty stuff at first to test things out. Sorry if this is too descriptive but my surgeon suggested I  take fiber (which seems counter-intuitive) due to diarrhea when I first started eating regular meals.  Worked great.

Thanks for that tip.  I actually took a fiber pill only 15 minutes ago at the suggestion of the hospital nurse, who called me to see how I was doing.  This is because the pain meds. might have caused some constipation.

I also found out that my gallbladder was over-full with bile and probably hadn't been working adequately for some time anyway.  If that's any indication of how my digestive issues will be in the future, I'll be OK since between gallstone attacks I didn't suffer any issues eating rich foods and meats.  Hopefully, anyway!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

Janelle just dropped the price of Christine's house from $675,000 to $649,000. With two open houses, I guess there haven't been any bites...

If she had an actual professional advise her on the listing, Christine may have had her house sold by now.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

If she had an actual professional advise her on the listing, Christine may have had her house sold by now.

If Janelle can't even adequately represent in selling one house, what the hell is going to happen selling four homes? My bet is in another month, she will give up because she can't handle the amount of work that goes into selling a house while living 4 hours away (cue the whiny blog post). She will hand it, and the other three houses, off to Mona and Kody will give her the Shark Eyes for eternity for giving away the commission money on the homes.

• Love 13
21 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

If Janelle can't even adequately represent in selling one house, what the hell is going to happen selling four homes? My bet is in another month, she will give up because she can't handle the amount of work that goes into selling a house while living 4 hours away (cue the whiny blog post). She will hand it, and the other three houses, off to Mona and Kody will give her the Shark Eyes for eternity for giving away the commission money on the homes.

There will be "weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth" over the lost commissions, but if the Brown's had their heads on right, they should undoubtedly hand over the listings to a more experienced realtor.  

Judging by the experience Toodles had at the previous open house, Janelle has not demonstrated the instincts needed to be a salesperson.  No attention paid as several people roamed the house, while Janelle busied herself on her phone, no brochures and no business cards.  This left prospective purchasers to their own devices to figure out a way to make contact if they had wanted to make an offer on the house.  I can only guess she may have snapped to attention if after conducting their self-guided tour, someone had interrupted her texting or game playing on her phone to say "we'll take it!"  

Edited by Sandy W
2nd thought
  • Love 11

Kootie is probably pissed at Janelle's having had to drop the price.  He's scratching his fried-locked head and wondering why no one jumped at the chance to buy a McMansion that had housed his famous self. 

Janelle, you screwed up by not having Kootie appear at the open house.  Doesn't he claim he "gets hit on all the time?"  And, didn't he actually sell some kind of advertising?  The women looking would have written a deposit on the spot (yeah, sure.)

• Love 4

I think this sheds some light on Kody's investment tweet.  Four houses to sell and a huge investment in Flag.  Plus, property taxes were due 9/1.  Vegas taxes are due quarterly.  I'm sure they weren't counting on that payment  The houses in their area are average homes.  They overbuilt (imho)and now they're stuck.  So sad, too bad.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

Janelle just dropped the price of Christine's house from $675,000 to $649,000. With two open houses, I guess there haven't been any bites...

I was just reading this morning about how well the Las Vegas real estate market has rebounded. I’m surprised that they’ve had to drop the price; it seems at odd with the market there in general.

• Love 2

I don't think they have a problem with their real estate investment, I think they are just expecting too much.  If they had made a bad real estate investment the houses would be worth less than they bought them for and they'd have negative equity.  They bought the houses for $445,000.  They want $649,000.  Even if they give the buyers agent 1.5% (splitting the usual 3% real estate commission) they'll net over $145,000 per house if they were to sell the houses for even $600,000.  That's good money for 6 years.  The problem with their area is that there is a lot of homes for sale.  A LOT.  And their houses don't stand out in size, location or quality.   

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, smarty2020 said:

And their houses don't stand out in size, location or quality.   

I think they went cheap, builder grade stuff which is not going to get them top dollar.  I also think they are counting on their "celebrity" status to bring the crowds of people just dying to brag about living in one of the cuddle sac homes.  They don't seem to understand that home buyers don't give a fig about them with the exception of their addle-brained fanatical fans who are low in both IQ and money.

I foresee a lowering of selling prices on a regular basis.  And is only the one still up for sale?  What's with the rest?  As toodles said, Kootie must be on the verge of a coronary with all of those taxes due on all of their "investments".

• Love 7
8 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I agree.  To sell a house you have to go in and give everything a face lift.  Professional cleaning from top to bottom.  Fix  all minor noticeable issues.  Cleaning of walls and baseboards, and a nice fresh coat of paint.  Probably removal and replacement of carpet.  Cleaning of all tile and or wooden floor.  And above all, major advertisement of open houses.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I agree.  To sell a house you have to go in and give everything a face lift.  Professional cleaning from top to bottom.  Fix  all minor noticeable issues.  Cleaning of walls and baseboards, and a nice fresh coat of paint.  Probably removal and replacement of carpet.  Cleaning of all tile and or wooden floor.  And above all, major advertisement of open houses.

It all depends on the market and location, location, location.  I sold my mother's house without doing a single one of those things.  A major key is not to over price the house when it goes on the market and to find a good agent not a slug like Janelle.   I had five offers before we even considered an open house.  

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I agree.  Even in a good seller's market this is the least that should be done.  Usually if there are any mechanical issues those should be addressed too.  I've sold two houses in good markets and had to do this and more to get close to my asking price.  As usual Janelle takes the lazy way out and thinks that putting in a half-way effort is all she needs to do to succeed.  It's analogous to the way she approaches dieting and never succeeds.  I still can't believe that she barely acknowledged people that came to her open house.  Some salesperson she is!  I'm not one myself but I would at least attempt to be friendly (not pushy) to anyone that walked into my open house. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, smarty2020 said:

I don't think they have a problem with their real estate investment, I think they are just expecting too much.  If they had made a bad real estate investment the houses would be worth less than they bought them for and they'd have negative equity.  They bought the houses for $445,000.  They want $649,000.  Even if they give the buyers agent 1.5% (splitting the usual 3% real estate commission) they'll net over $145,000 per house if they were to sell the houses for even $600,000.  That's good money for 6 years.  The problem with their area is that there is a lot of homes for sale.  A LOT.  And their houses don't stand out in size, location or quality.   

Agree. For 649k I'd expect to at least see a pool and other upgrades, and even then that's asking a lot. I realize the house is quite large, but it seems lacking in anything that makes it stand out more than any other similar house for sale. In fact, there's a much nicer home for 619k nearby--with a pool. 

• Love 10
14 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Agree. For 649k I'd expect to at least see a pool and other upgrades, and even then that's asking a lot. I realize the house is quite large, but it seems lacking in anything that makes it stand out more than any other similar house for sale. In fact, there's a much nicer home for 619k nearby--with a pool. 

True.  I think Robyn and Meri got the larger back yards which might be in their favor when it comes to price.  From what I could tell Christine's looked very small, but at least it look like it had some landscaping.  

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

True.  I think Robyn and Meri got the larger back yards which might be in their favor when it comes to price.  From what I could tell Christine's looked very small, but at least it look like it had some landscaping.  

I think the structure they had built for the commitment ceremony still stands in one of the yards.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Sandy W said:

I think the structure they had built for the commitment ceremony still stands in one of the yards.  

A piece of TV history, right there!  Maybe if they throw in the ugly/ill-fitting dresses they wore, they'd sell it.  LOL

• Love 9
2 hours ago, toodles said:

No thanks.  Once was enough??

I understand.  Thanks for taking one for the team.  

I wonder if Janelle will be just as checked out the second time around?  She's not a people person, which would help a lot in the real estate game, I'm sure.  Christine might have had better luck, had she passed the exam.  Or did she take it again?  My mind's a blank.

• Love 3