Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Abra Came

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Recommended Posts

Random thoughts.

I hope Yeah No is ok, and comes back to check in soon.  These are worrying times and there's only a handful of us here.  You are in my prayers every night Yeah..... and I always ask that the apartment will get taken care of so that it's one less worry for you.

Today I realized that the little bit I walk around the house is not really quality exercise.  At least when I could go out and about I would park my car far out in the lot and do a LOT of walking around stores and whatnot.  I am getting winded walking up the stairs!

People are scared.  I got a flat tire on Sunday night behind Pizza Hut and in front of a plasma donation place.  Well... I got the flat several blocks BEFORE this place, but I ended up in this strip mall parking lot.  Car after car after car drove by and no one offered to help.  I know how to change a tire but I don't really have the strength to loosen tight lug nuts and lift and carry the tire.  I called two of my sons because my Asperger son is never much help in these situations.  Well he surprised me and changed the tire for me before my other son showed up.  I told them that in our town it's unusual for someone not to ask if a person needs help - and my son reminded me that people are scared right now and don't want to get close to other people.  Duh.  I hadn't even considered that.  Four new tires, new front brakes and an oil change - $906.00.  I called on Monday and asked if I could make an appointment.  The woman said I could come in that day , or Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday or Friday or anytime I wanted.  WOW - in the past you had to book a week or two in advance. Or more!  Yes, times are different right now.

I'm bored, and I am a homebody.  They say we might have to social distance until 2022 and our new normal won't be our old normal.  I find myself collecting masks from Ebay.  I then give them away to those I know who might need one - and a lot of people DO want them.  (After I wash them, of course. Can't trust anything these days that comes into the home!)  Right now I buy my masks from just one seller - she is a nurse and makes these cloth masks on her day off.  Unfortunately she is working today - so no Ebay listings to looky loo through.

We had a handslapper on the board.  I wanted to post a picture of "Church Lady" from Saturday Night Live but I think it's because I'm bored and cranky.  And I don't want to upset our board monitor who is usually pretty cool.  Although I've had some posts pulled that didn't deserve to be.  Did I mention I'm cranky??

The board is pretty dead.  I hope ALL of you are healthy and well and busy and happy.  I love you ladies.

Edited by Kyanight · Reason: I'm bored. Did I mention I'm bored? Might as well drone on some more.....
  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post

Warm hugs to you Kya.  You have lifted my spirits so many times with your wit and wisdom and it's understandable you would have a periodic down day.  We all do.  Keep on keeping on, there IS light at the end of the tunnel. xo

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

It's always comforting to think that when one of us has a down day, there is someone out there who is on an upswing.  The news is always so dire that the good things seem to slip by unnoticed.

Will we ever get back to "normal".  Well, we will be defining a new normal but there may very well be good lessons coming from this that will help in the future.  For instance, making sure that everyone has some sort of internet access will become more crucial in case we need to do home/distance learning again in the future.  The governments have been resistant to helping out poor and rural areas but now they will be forced to take notice.  This might be one positive from this mess.

And the daffodils are coming up and the birds are singing so I am going to focus on that.  We are not alone, none of us, even if it's just posting on a forum!

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

I’m with everyone, the tedium is wearing me down. I’m taking a day off work tomorrow for my mental health.  Even though we can’t really do anything, at least I won’t have work stressing me out.
 

I’m having to fight the urge to indulge in some retail therapy.  So tempting when everyone is having sales.  Cost Plus World Market has these Adirondack chairs in cheerful colors on sale and I want them. But I don’t need them. But they’re red and 40% off 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Kbo
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Kbo said:

Cost Plus World Market has these Adirondack chairs in cheerful colors on sale and I want them. But I don’t need them. But they’re red and 40% off 

I have to go off on a tangent and ask something I've always wondered. I've always loved the look of Adirondack chairs, especially in fun colors, but in actuality I find them really uncomfortable to sit in and avoid doing so. They're so popular that I've always assumed it's my own body or posture that's weird. Is it just me?

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

I have to go off on a tangent and ask something I've always wondered. I've always loved the look of Adirondack chairs, especially in fun colors, but in actuality I find them really uncomfortable to sit in and avoid doing so. They're so popular that I've always assumed it's my own body or posture that's weird. Is it just me?

I feel exactly the same way! I find them terribly uncomfortable, they lean way too far back for me.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I feel exactly the same way! I find them terribly uncomfortable, they lean way too far back for me.

I'm OK in them once I'm seated, my problem with them is when I try to get up.  No way I can do it without looking like a lumbering hippo.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

Self proclaimed hermit here and have been for a lot of years. But this enforced shelter in place is beginning to get to me. I used to only go out once a week, now it is every 15 or 16 days for groceries and to get my mail at my PO box. There are only 5 cases in my county, Montana has a very small population for the size of the state, but it is still scary to go out. I noticed on Monday when I drove my garbage can up to the head of my dirt road that I was feeling anxious being out even though I didn't go anywhere but the street. I felt so much better once I got inside again. I realized that I may be spilling over into agoraphobia.  Crazy times indeed!

@Kyanight always appreciate your posts.

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I love the look of adirondack chairs.  I also have a pair of red ones.  And I have not dragged them out onto my deck in probably 5 years!  Those suckers are NOT comfortable.  For me, at least.  But darn they look good.  I now keep zero gravity chairs out on the deck.  Love them.

On another more somber note, I had a very sobering committee meeting this morning, by Zoom, of course.  One of my colleagues is a tough,ball- breaking kind of gal.  She rides a harley, and suffers no fools .  Anyway, at the end of our meeting, everyone did a kind of round robin check-in, talking about life under COVID-19 in general.  Well, this woman broke down in tears in front of all of us.  She knows of 4 former colleagues who have died recently.  They worked in Detroit, which is a hot spot right now.    This is the first meltdown of someone else's that I've witnessed around the virus, and she's the last person I would have expected to have it.  That was at 11 o'clock this morning, and it knocked my whole day off its axis.  I reached out to her via email with a virtual hug.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great Friday and weekend!  I appreciate all of you!!!

  • Like 8
  • Sad 8

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you all for talking me out of the Adirondack chairs.  I wasn’t thinking about comfort, it was all about looks. Oh well, didn’t need to spend the money anyway. Even though my job is pretty secure I don’t feel good spending money right now. Our a/c is ancient and we planned and budgeted to replace it this spring, but now I’m hesitant. And then I feel bad because if we all hold back on spending the economy will tank even worse. 
 

Sorry for all the rambling. Isolation is getting to me 😬

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

12 minutes ago, Kbo said:

Sorry for all the rambling. Isolation is getting to me 😬

Oh my gosh dear, you hardly said anything!  I went on and on and on and on......

But believe me when I say it really helps to read posts from you ladies!!  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Oh my gosh dear, you hardly said anything!  I went on and on and on and on......

But believe me when I say it really helps to read posts from you ladies!!  

Oh - one more thing - today I got an email from my doctor - they are only going to do "virtual" doctor appointments now, unless you are having lung issues.  They will determine at your virtual appointment if you need to actually be seen in person for whatever ails you, and then they will direct you to where you should go. (I have Kaiser - an HMO). 

Strange times we live in.  On the PLUS side - anything optional has been postponed until better times... so no colonoscopy!!  woohooo!  

They can just KEEP their poo-making juice!!

Edited by Kyanight
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

Hi All, I'm just checking in and have not had time to read many posts. I did see @Kyanight's at the top of this page. I hope YeahNo is okay too. I will have to go back and read up.

I think of all of you often and hope all are well. I haven't been able to post or read much because of some mental health challenges cropping up now, that make it difficult to focus on anything for long. Trying to do some research before a job interview took everything I had (phone interview that went okay - hoping they follow up ). Some days it is all I can do to just tidy up, prepare 3 meals for myself and eat them, take a shower and maybe a walk, and talk to one or two friends or family members. Tomorrow I have the grocery pickup and then the whole "detox" process. It shouldn't be so daunting, but it is. Also I am in a temporary rental and have to drive home soon. 125 miles seems very daunting indeed. I called the state police to see if car travel is allowed. They said yes but to wear a mask. I was planning to - I will have one or two masks in a few days that friends are sending. 

Please be safe everyone and stay well.

 

 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Random thoughts.

I hope Yeah No is ok, and comes back to check in soon.  These are worrying times and there's only a handful of us here.  You are in my prayers every night Yeah..... and I always ask that the apartment will get taken care of so that it's one less worry for you.

Awww, thank you Kya, and everyone!  I am just so touched, I can't even express myself......

You are all in my prayers every night too.  I worry for all of us and the whole world.  We're all under a lot of stress and dealing with our own personal nightmares.  We really ARE all in this together, and what a blessing it is to have each other here on our little chat board.  At a time like this it means the world. 

I have had a much more solitary life than usual in the last few years since being wrongfully terminated from an executive admin. position in a Fortune 100 company.  I broke my arm very badly in the parking lot at work in 2016, needed surgery and phys. therapy, was on workers' comp., then was terminated for no cause while still collecting, which was against the law.  I won a lawsuit but wish the payout was better.  I looked for a job for a year and a half with no success despite getting second interviews a lot and being lead on to believe I got the job.  I'm not one to cry "age discrimination" but I never had anywhere near this kind of difficulty when I was younger.  So I gave up and hubbie and I have been struggling by on his limo. driving income.  We were doing OK but like so many people, it wouldn't take much to bring us to our knees financially.

In the past few years my little world has shrunk a lot.  My 3 year old car has only 20,000 miles on it and that's including trips to NYC to visit Dad.  I rarely venture out too far from home anyway, but like everyone else being forced to stay at home is difficult.  I realize how much more you find you need your friends in person when you are grieving a loved one.  There's nothing, not even zoom meetings that can replace that.  My best friend turned 62 this past week.  Another friend put together a zoom meeting for us to have a virtual birthday party for her - how wonderful THAT was in the middle of all of this!  But of course that was fleeting.  We have been getting out for walks but no matter how desolate the street or path is, I always feel like I'm running away from someone.  I am shocked at how many people are still walking into stores without masks and gloves despite the governor's order to wear them.  We haven't been inside a store for over a month.  We have been ordering our groceries online.

Earlier this week those storms that wrecked up the south came barreling through the Northeast and we had damaging winds which resulted in a huge tree falling over onto another tree near the road on our front lawn.  Just what we needed.  How much is THAT going to cost?  At least it didn't hit the power lines.  Of course we did have a 4 hour power failure in addition to this.  I was curled up in a ball on my bed sobbing.  My husband took the car out to investigate and saw a big tree down on the main road and the power crew out fixing the lines, so at least we knew it would probably not be long before power was back.  And it was.  But yikes, I started to feel like Job for a while.  I texted photos of the tree to friends and said, "What's next a swarm of LOCUSTS?"

I am trying not to think about my problems.  I had a few really BAD days this week.  The last couple were tolerable.  I am trying to catch up on my show threads.  We did some work out in the garage.  I am trying to shut down my father's cable and internet plus get his car returned (which was on our property since Feb. anyway), but need his death certificate, which hasn't arrived yet.  When I worry and get negative it's about what I'm going to do with his apartment, and being afraid that my husband or I or one of our friends is going to DIE in spite of trying to avoid it.  When the talking heads on TV discuss "opening the economy" I get scared.  What about us older people that aren't old enough to collect Social Security without a big penalty since we aren't 66 yet?  So many have lost their jobs, now will be in competition with tons of younger people and won't likely get them back.  One of my best friend's husbands is in this situation.  He is an electrical engineer that often goes to NYC on jobs.  His company asked him if he would be willing to go to NYC now with the Pandemic and because he said "no", they laid him off.  We can only hope and pray that someone in the government does something special for us.  My husband, who is usually not afraid of anything, is now deathly afraid of catching this virus since finding out what it does to the body.  How will he make a living now?  He is 64 - couldn't the government give people like him early Social Security?  We can only hope that something like this happens before our bank account goes down to zero.

Speaking of that friend whose husband lost his job, we actually got together in person this week.  She and I met at a little league ball field near my house.  It has some nice picnic tables and a parking lot so we came wearing our masks, each sitting at a different table.  It was like a scene from a scary dystopian sci-fi movie from the 1960s.  I'm glad we did that.  It was SO nice to see a friend in the flesh other than my husband for a change!

I'm scared to death to go down to NY to deal with the apartment.  I won't be able to for months I am sure, and even then I will be nervous.  Every month, it will cost another $1,000.  I just have to pray and hope that something happens before I go broke.  The management company of the building is truly evil.  So I have no hope of getting any sympathy or cooperation from them.

Plus now I am worried about another forum member from another show thread that I sometimes write to offline.  Because of some of the thought provoking posts on the show "God Friended Me", we got into a discussion offline and every now and then check in with each other to see how the other is doing.  When I hadn't seen them post on the show thread this past week, I emailed them asking if they were OK.  They wrote back asking me to pray for them because they were in the hospital with pneumonia waiting for the results of their Covid-19 test.  This person is close to my age with a health condition.  So now I am saying my prayers for them too and worry about them every day.

My continued thanks, love and best wishes to everyone here, and STAY SAFE!

 

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

I have to go off on a tangent and ask something I've always wondered. I've always loved the look of Adirondack chairs, especially in fun colors, but in actuality I find them really uncomfortable to sit in and avoid doing so. They're so popular that I've always assumed it's my own body or posture that's weird. Is it just me?

NOT JUST YOU!

When “The Pause” first started, my husband made a fire pit and put plastic Adirondack chairs around it. So, to stoke the fire, you have to balance on the end of the seat - it’s awkward. I actually tweaked my back because of it. Now he’s talked about making some from wood. Nooooooooo!

Plus, the back angles upward, so you have to pull your head forward if you want to talk to someone, or you are staring into the sun. Not a fan!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

So now I am saying my prayers for them too and worry about them every day.

Yeah no!!  You came back!  Thank you for the update!  Everyone has been worried about you! Good/bad/or ugly, I love hearing about my Sister Wive's Board Friend's Lives right now.  WOW that is a mouthful!!  lol

Yeah - what is this friend's name that you mentioned above?  So that I can mention her by name in my prayers when I pray for "Yeah No"!!!!  I'm sure God knows who I mean, lol - but this way I can pray for your friend, as well.   Teafortwo - you are specifically in my prayers as well, for all that you are struggling with!!  ((((((((Hugs))))))))

Update on my son - he sounds horrible but yesterday he said he thought his cough might be getting a bit better.   I feel really good about how he is doing since he didn't have to be hospitalized.

And Yeah No - I am terrified at what is going to happen when they open the country up in a week or two.  I think the case numbers are going to spike.

AND FOR THE RECORD:  What is it with stupid Americans and their protests about their rights being taken away?  NO INDIVIDUAL'S RIGHT to "go where they please when they please how they please" is more important than another individual's right to live. (Meaning exist... breathe... not be sick!)  Period.  The selfishness and gall of some people really upsets me.  Ok.  I will jump off my soap box now.

Edited by Kyanight
  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

8 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

AND FOR THE RECORD:  What is it with stupid Americans and their protests about their rights being taken away?  NO INDIVIDUAL'S RIGHT to "go where they please when they please how they please" is more important than another individual's right to live. (Meaning exist... breathe... not be sick!)  Period.  The selfishness and gall of some people really upsets me. 

I am in Michigan where the incredibly selfish and appalling protest took place two days ago.  I am just flummoxed at that kind of mindset.  And sadly many are from the northern part of MI which has been somewhat spared due to the lower population.  So now these nimrods with their red hats will be bringing it right to us.  I am so ashamed that this is happening. It's not your right to strut around infecting other innocent people.  It's not your right to be the cause of deaths.  What kind of warped mind even thinks that way?

Yeah No, so good to hear from you.  We were worried.

And on a shallow note, that whole Adirondack chair thing gives me a stiff neck.  You are basically looking at the sky so they might be great for star gazing. But if you want to sit with friends around a fire, better bring a WHOLE lot of pillows to prop yourself up!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

They are having a protest at the Denver state capitol on Sunday, so clearly these dipsticks are all over the country!  😞

  • Like 2
  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post

Regarding when to start receiving Social Security retirement benefits, I used to work there.  The advice we gave clients was to calculate your benefits beginning now and to calculate benefits retiring at full benefit age.  Add them up cumulatively. Then look to see when your break even point is.  That's when you'll start having more overall from waiting.  It sometimes helps people make the decision that waiting say 8 or 10 years to break even is or isn't worth it.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 7

Share this post


Link to post

Polygamists or is my mind running wild?

A classmate of my daughter has a mom and dad who are married. The little girl has a baby sister, but the mom did not birth the sister, nor does the sister live with them. The mom says the daughter likes to dress up in matching outfits with the baby sister. The little girl refers to having families. Sounds like polygamy, right? 

Here’s the kicker: they are from Nepal and are devout Hindus. I can’t find on google that polygamy is practiced in Nepal or in the Hindu faith. 

  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I can’t find on google that polygamy is practiced in Nepal or in the Hindu faith. 

The original teachings of Hinduism do allow it. I know it's illegal in some countries like India but not sure about Nepal.  And it has be strictly follow the old caste rules.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Polygamists or is my mind running wild?

A classmate of my daughter has a mom and dad who are married. The little girl has a baby sister, but the mom did not birth the sister, nor does the sister live with them. The mom says the daughter likes to dress up in matching outfits with the baby sister. The little girl refers to having families. Sounds like polygamy, right? 

Here’s the kicker: they are from Nepal and are devout Hindus. I can’t find on google that polygamy is practiced in Nepal or in the Hindu faith. 

Who knows! 

When my youngest boys were in high school they had a friend whose parents had divorced and both had remarried.  And EVERYONE lived in the same house, under the same roof.  Mom, Dad, new husband, new wife and all of the assorted kids and half sisters and brothers.  (The adults did not all have sex together, they were devout Jehovah Witness.)   Everyone got along and it worked for them.   Then years later when all of the kids were grown all of the parents moved out and the kids bought the house.  It was one of the stranger family dynamics I had encountered, but who am *I to even say, lol.  My sons are still friends with that "kid".

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Polygamists or is my mind running wild?

A classmate of my daughter has a mom and dad who are married. The little girl has a baby sister, but the mom did not birth the sister, nor does the sister live with them. The mom says the daughter likes to dress up in matching outfits with the baby sister. The little girl refers to having families. Sounds like polygamy, right? 

Here’s the kicker: they are from Nepal and are devout Hindus. I can’t find on google that polygamy is practiced in Nepal or in the Hindu faith. 

Families come in all kinds of shapes and sizes.  Would it change anything for you or your daughter if they were?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, sharkerbaby said:

Families come in all kinds of shapes and sizes.  Would it change anything for you or your daughter if they were?

I propose a new slogan.  "Befriend a sister wife and give her chocolate.  Lots of it".

 

I hope it catches on.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, sharkerbaby said:

Families come in all kinds of shapes and sizes.  Would it change anything for you or your daughter if they were?

Not at all, and your point is well taken

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I had a really nice day today, I was off work so Mr Kbo and I actually left the house!  I put on makeup and everything!  We ordered lunch for curbside pickup and then found a place to park and ate in the car. It was a beautiful sunny day so we rolled the windows down and got some fresh air with no kids around 😊.

When we finished I ran into Target to get a few essentials and it was so nice to do something normal.  And plus I love Target, I had to fight the urge to browse but I did. I even scored a 4-pack of toilet paper. And clearance Easter chocolate 😉. It was exactly what I needed to endure another couple weeks of seclusion. Hope everyone else is doing okay. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

1 minute ago, Kbo said:

I had a really nice day today, I was off work so Mr Kbo and I actually left the house!  I put on makeup and everything!  We ordered lunch for curbside pickup and then found a place to park and ate in the car. It was a beautiful sunny day so we rolled the windows down and got some fresh air with no kids around 😊.

When we finished I ran into Target to get a few essentials and it was so nice to do something normal.  And plus I love Target, I had to fight the urge to browse but I did. I even scored a 4-pack of toilet paper. And clearance Easter chocolate 😉. It was exactly what I needed to endure another couple weeks of seclusion. Hope everyone else is doing okay. 

I went to Target today, too.  The parking lot was so full it was like Christmas.  Someone told me later that they thought it was because people were getting their stimulus checks.   I wanted to buy some Tylenol P.M.   The medicines were cleared out - empty shelves... EXCEPT Tylenol P.M.!  What the heck!!  It was a little surreal.  I bought three boxes because there were tons there. 

I love Target too, Kbo!  I didn't see any Easter chocolate but they DID have toilet paper.  A little bit.  I didn't buy any because we have some.  Out of about 15 Target employees I saw ONE wearing a face mask.  Out of about 70+ shoppers (including walking the parking lot) I saw about 6 people wearing masks.  Weird.  When I went to my grocery store the other day almost everyone was wearing one.   I have to say, this trip to Target was the highlight of my day.

What did you get for lunch, Kbo?  Details are important!  Tonight we got steaks and baked potatoes from Longhorn. (And strawberry shortcake for dessert!)  Again - PACKED parking lot.  The poor girl was running ragged going in and out and from car to car.  I guess they didn't expect the crowd... but even if they did they only have so many employees any more.

Whose states are opening up soon?  And what will happen then?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

 

What did you get for lunch, Kbo?  Details are important!  Tonight we got steaks and baked potatoes from Longhorn. (And strawberry shortcake for dessert!)  Again - PACKED parking lot.  The poor girl was running ragged going in and out and from car to car.  I guess they didn't expect the crowd... 

Your meal sounds better than mine, Kya!  We had the gift card from Red Robin that our neighbor gave us after the Uber delivery mishap, so he got a burger and I got a chicken Caesar wrap. I didn’t care where we went, it was just so nice to get out of the house!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Kbo said:

Your meal sounds better than mine, Kya!  We had the gift card from Red Robin that our neighbor gave us after the Uber delivery mishap, so he got a burger and I got a chicken Caesar wrap. I didn’t care where we went, it was just so nice to get out of the house!

Well I LOVE LOVE LOVE Red Robin!  We have one we go to, but it's a bit of a drive so we haven't been there in awhile.  And I know what you mean about getting out of the house!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I hate humanity.  Horrible busy day at work. 
That is all lol. 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1
  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post

I live in the boonies in MT. There are 4 containers of Spam from Amazon in my mailbox on the road...I have to get up the nerve to go up and pick it up...yep getting scared to go out at all here...pls don't judge me 1st husband was Chinese and i can cook wonders with Spam...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Yeah no!!  You came back!  Thank you for the update!  Everyone has been worried about you! Good/bad/or ugly, I love hearing about my Sister Wive's Board Friend's Lives right now.  WOW that is a mouthful!!  lol

Yeah - what is this friend's name that you mentioned above?  So that I can mention her by name in my prayers when I pray for "Yeah No"!!!!  I'm sure God knows who I mean, lol - but this way I can pray for your friend, as well.   Teafortwo - you are specifically in my prayers as well, for all that you are struggling with!!  ((((((((Hugs))))))))

Thanks so much and sorry for going on so long, I'm just not myself these days....

I have EXCELLENT news about my forum friend - It's a him - He just emailed me today that he does NOT have Covid and was released from the hospital.  The pneumonia is related to a heart condition he has.  He's a very lucky guy and I am so relieved!  But thanks for that offer of prayer it is much appreciated.

19 hours ago, Kyanight said:

And Yeah No - I am terrified at what is going to happen when they open the country up in a week or two.  I think the case numbers are going to spike.

AND FOR THE RECORD:  What is it with stupid Americans and their protests about their rights being taken away?  NO INDIVIDUAL'S RIGHT to "go where they please when they please how they please" is more important than another individual's right to live. (Meaning exist... breathe... not be sick!)  Period.  The selfishness and gall of some people really upsets me.  Ok.  I will jump off my soap box now.

I hear you, and I agree.  I just went off on a rant on a celebrity's Facebook page.  Seems that this person, whose name I won't mention but is a TV psychologist that gives out relationship advice, tried to make comparisons between the Covid deaths and those from the flu or automobile accidents, and acted like we should just open up everything because all the negative psychological effects of being stuck at home would be even worse in the long run - As if not staying home and witnessing MILLIONS of deaths wouldn't cause even WORSE psychological effects on people!  Seems I started something as a TON of people posted under me with the same rant!  Then there is yet another TV doctor that made comments to the effect of being in support of opening up schools since kids don't suffer that much from the virus - Is he FREAKING OUT OF HIS MIND?  As if those kids won't give the virus to each other then go home and give it to mom, dad, grandma and grandpa!!  A friend of mine told me there was a lot of backlash toward both doctors and I just noticed all the articles about this online.  I just can't believe these totally out of touch people that put themselves up as "experts"!

  • Like 6
  • Surprise 3
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

Target?  I miss Target....sigh.....😥

To lighten the mood, I thought I'd post this little funny I found on my friend's Facebook page.  I was ROTFL!!

image.thumb.png.42dfba29e3ed008d294d78485ec26b54.png

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 12

Share this post


Link to post

A real restaurant for take out?  Wow, I'd kill for that.  We have two pizza places and a Big Boy.

92830724_3663020183772450_6763313167406727168_n.jpg

  • Laugh 15

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

A real restaurant for take out?  Wow, I'd kill for that.  We have two pizza places and a Big Boy.

92830724_3663020183772450_6763313167406727168_n.jpg

LOL!!  So there is a facebook group in Australia that dress up in weird costumers or ball gowns or in scuba gear to take their trash bins to the curb and then they post videos and pictures for their neighbors to see!!  This is an open group for anyone!

 https://www.facebook.com/groups/306002627033697/ 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I hear you, and I agree.  I just went off on a rant on a celebrity's Facebook page.  Seems that this person, whose name I won't mention but is a TV psychologist that gives out relationship advice, tried to make comparisons between the Covid deaths and those from the flu or automobile accidents, and acted like we should just open up everything because all the negative psychological effects of being stuck at home would be even worse in the long run - As if not staying home and witnessing MILLIONS of deaths wouldn't cause even WORSE psychological effects on people!  Seems I started something as a TON of people posted under me with the same rant!  Then there is yet another TV doctor that made comments to the effect of being in support of opening up schools since kids don't suffer that much from the virus - Is he FREAKING OUT OF HIS MIND?

You won't name him? I will.  Dr. Phil.  And I respected the dude, too.  Is this lockdown affecting his income or something?  Usually he's full of sense but on this situation he's way off in left-field.

Also Dr. Oz. who said the 2% -3% deaths associated with kids going back to school would be acceptable.  Did he ever give a thought to killing off all of the teachers and school administrators and janitors and cafeteria workers?  And then these kids carrying the virus home (like you said) to grandparents and other family members?

And I'm so glad your friend is ok!!

  • Like 9
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Things in western Pa are slow and steady.  My son works at a local corporate supermarket as night stock and has been working insane long hours.  He now wears a mask for work, but not everyone is.  My husband and I don't venture out very much and only in the morning when we need to do a market run.  I usually spend a day doing freezer and pantry inventory and making a solid list and putting the list in the order of the store we will be going to so we don't have to spend too much time. Household jobs and cooking is really our primary focus everyday.

The one family owned market seems to have the best selection of stock and since that is where we already buy all of our meat we are doing the lion's share of our shopping there.  Meat, milk, dairy, cheese, produce is all in good supply but they now limit how many eggs (2 doz) per grocery order. We have developed a system of shopping and using disinfectant wipes after getting in the car, plus a quarantine shelf by the back door at home and full washing of hands etc.  It is tedious. I bought some 200 thread count muslin online and will be figuring out some masks for us and some friends this weekend.

I had to stop going to the pottery for a few weeks.  The owners husband needed a surgery for his heart condition and since he was in a city hospital they shut themselves in for over two weeks.  There are no symptoms with either of them thankfully and I have been allowed to return.  However since this happened they are downsizing their studio to eventually stop the teaching side of it all together.  It is the only teaching studio in the area and some people drive over an hour to take classes.  I will need to move quicker setting up my own home space to continue with my pottery.

While the headlines say that places may be starting to reopen soon, things locally don't seem to be heading that way and my son has been issued "working papers" in case he needs to prove why he is out of the house and traveling to/from work. 

AND...a bit of a rant.  Holy cow unemployment is a royal pain in the a$$.  ZERO clear instructions and no help available through the website.  My husband was on the first wave to get signed up and has finally figured out after hours clicking and reading and rereading he has entered weeks of claims with no notification of if or when money will or will not come, or even an amount to expect when it does.  The limbo is really beating us down. 

We were talking the other morning about the last time that we had spent so much time together.  We kept going back and back in time (we have been together 30 years now) and the most we have spent is when the holidays lined up and he had a 2 week vacation.  The last time we spent every day together was the end of 1993.  I had been laid off from my job in the summer and he was just laid off and we had several months at the holidays before he was hired at a new job and then I started the process to go to culinary school.  I can see how bumpy relationships and toxic families are really going to be tested at this time.  Often the only way you can survive is with space, being able to get out and about and away from people.  I am thankful that we started working out a lot of issues that we had several years ago.

Oh. And another rant is bloody Pennsylvania and their bloody alcohol sales.  Or I should say NON sales.  While another state a friend lives in will deliver mixed cocktails with take away food orders...Pa closed the state stores and then opened a "website' to order online.  However that website has limited numbers of orders per day.  NO idea when you can start ordering in the day.  Its bloody ridiculous!! While I am not sure, even some neighboring states are not allowing Pa residents to travel across state lines to buy alcohol. I am fine with limiting my evening whiskey consumption but I would like to buy the wines that I usually cook with... I'm even limiting my sangria because I have no idea when I can buy more wine to make more.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Being home all the time makes me focused on the stuff I could be doing, Spackle the cracks in the ceiling or washing the windows. I deep cleaned my refridge this week, and I think I may have found the cure for the virus underneath my veggie bins....( I kid ) So while the interior of the house has never looked better, what I wouldn't give to be able to stroll through Home Goods and find the perfect something for the wall in my bedroom. Soon...please be soon.

I hope everyone is well and stays well...I always can count on the people on this forum for making this time in life better with the wit, compassion and snark!

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, Kyanight said:

You won't name him? I will.  Dr. Phil.  And I respected the dude, too.  Is this lockdown affecting his income or something?  Usually he's full of sense but on this situation he's way off in left-field.

I know, it sounded to me like the lockdown is bothering HIM more than the people he's supposedly defending!  It doesn't surprise me that someone that extroverted would have a particularly hard time with it, though.  Being confirmed introverts, my husband and I are actually LOVING the time at home to tackle projects we haven't had the time nor energy to finish up until now.  Of course right now I don't feel like doing much of that because of my grieving, but I'm slowly trying to get back into it.

I didn't mention Dr. Phil's name because I didn't want to be told I was getting political or whatever but I guess that's not really an issue here.

Quote

Also Dr. Oz. who said the 2% -3% deaths associated with kids going back to school would be acceptable.  Did he ever give a thought to killing off all of the teachers and school administrators and janitors and cafeteria workers?  And then these kids carrying the virus home (like you said) to grandparents and other family members?

And I'm so glad your friend is ok!!

I'm relieved he's OK too.  Wow, what a scare! 

To Dr. Oz's credit he later admitted that he engaged in a poor choice of words and back pedaled on that position somewhat to include that it would only be a good idea to open schools "when safe to do so".  Ho-kay, whatever.  These people talk first, think later.  I think they're under a lot of stress like the rest of us and not their usual selves either.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Being home all the time makes me focused on the stuff I could be doing, Spackle the cracks in the ceiling or washing the windows. I deep cleaned my refridge this week, and I think I may have found the cure for the virus underneath my veggie bins....( I kid ) So while the interior of the house has never looked better, what I wouldn't give to be able to stroll through Home Goods and find the perfect something for the wall in my bedroom. Soon...please be soon.

I hope everyone is well and stays well...I always can count on the people on this forum for making this time in life better with the wit, compassion and snark!

You too, Mahamid!  Your life sounds like mine - I deep cleaned my fridge too.  You had to go and remind me of Home Goods, though! (boo-hoo).  😭  I feel the same way.  Around this time of year they'd have all the fake floral arrangements out and I'd be picking through the clearance rack to find that perfect one marked down from $20.00 to $8.99.  Sigh.....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

To Dr. Oz's credit he later admitted that he engaged in a poor choice of words and back pedaled....

I have no tolerance for this BS anymore. That's the excuse du jour for all of these clowns. "I really didn't meant THAT".  "I never said THAT".  It is MISINTERPRETED". 

These charlatans know exactly what they are saying and their followers believe it and spread the lies to the detriment of society.  How many people who adore these clowns were/are involved in protests, parading around without masks, mingling in crowds because "Dr. Oz or Dr. Phil said it's OK"?  Have they no conscience at all?  Are they prepared to take any responsibility for an increase in infections due to their careless words? 

I am livid about this.  I would be mortified to the end of my days if I were responsible for harm to any human being!  They show no remorse, just a fake half-assed "apology" and follow the Meri "not MY fault, I was misunderstood" route.  Too little, too late.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

I have no tolerance for this BS anymore. That's the excuse du jour for all of these clowns. "I really didn't meant THAT".  "I never said THAT".  It is MISINTERPRETED". 

These charlatans know exactly what they are saying and their followers believe it and spread the lies to the detriment of society.  How many people who adore these clowns were/are involved in protests, parading around without masks, mingling in crowds because "Dr. Oz or Dr. Phil said it's OK"?  Have they no conscience at all?  Are they prepared to take any responsibility for an increase in infections due to their careless words? 

I am livid about this.  I would be mortified to the end of my days if I were responsible for harm to any human being!  They show no remorse, just a fake half-assed "apology" and follow the Meri "not MY fault, I was misunderstood" route.  Too little, too late.

I really do agree with you 10,000%.  I was trying to be generous but you're really right!!!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I was trying to be generous but you're really right!!!

You are a better person than I. My generosity quotient ran out about a week ago! 

We've had a huge increase in cases in our little rural are with 10 of our 19 hospital beds with Covid patients.  It's the only hospital for 30 square miles, only 2 ICU beds.  And our Governor begged people from the southern part of MI to stay put and not come up to their summer places and they ignored that and brought it with them.  Not a good couple of days here.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 13

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

You too, Mahamid!  Your life sounds like mine - I deep cleaned my fridge too.  You had to go and remind me of Home Goods, though! (boo-hoo).  😭  I feel the same way.  Around this time of year they'd have all the fake floral arrangements out and I'd be picking through the clearance rack to find that perfect one marked down from $20.00 to $8.99.  Sigh.....

Well, there's always Overstock 😊

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

@Yeah No I am just catching up a little bit and I wanted to add to the voices above.  I am so sad to learn of your father's death. He sounds like an exceptionally wonderful person. My heart aches for you and the many people who loved him. Thank you for the details of his unusual life and for posting his picture. 

I also read your post about the Bronx apt. That is an incredibly difficult situation. Please know you're in my thoughts and I wish you all the best navigating all of this.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

@Yeah No maybe there is an online service that can find a renter/buyer for the apartment? I'm thinking of the commercials for Apartment.com.  I'm sure there are things there you want, maybe some service could empty the apartment and put the things in storage or one of those pod things that can be shipped to you. I just can't imagine the difficult situation you are in. My prayers for you continue.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Aethera

Folks, I totally understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I just ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politicians out of the discussion. And stay safe and healthy.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size