Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I feel exactly the same way! I find them terribly uncomfortable, they lean way too far back for me.

I'm OK in them once I'm seated, my problem with them is when I try to get up.  No way I can do it without looking like a lumbering hippo.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

Self proclaimed hermit here and have been for a lot of years. But this enforced shelter in place is beginning to get to me. I used to only go out once a week, now it is every 15 or 16 days for groceries and to get my mail at my PO box. There are only 5 cases in my county, Montana has a very small population for the size of the state, but it is still scary to go out. I noticed on Monday when I drove my garbage can up to the head of my dirt road that I was feeling anxious being out even though I didn't go anywhere but the street. I felt so much better once I got inside again. I realized that I may be spilling over into agoraphobia.  Crazy times indeed!

@Kyanight always appreciate your posts.

• Love 10

I love the look of adirondack chairs.  I also have a pair of red ones.  And I have not dragged them out onto my deck in probably 5 years!  Those suckers are NOT comfortable.  For me, at least.  But darn they look good.  I now keep zero gravity chairs out on the deck.  Love them.

On another more somber note, I had a very sobering committee meeting this morning, by Zoom, of course.  One of my colleagues is a tough,ball- breaking kind of gal.  She rides a harley, and suffers no fools .  Anyway, at the end of our meeting, everyone did a kind of round robin check-in, talking about life under COVID-19 in general.  Well, this woman broke down in tears in front of all of us.  She knows of 4 former colleagues who have died recently.  They worked in Detroit, which is a hot spot right now.    This is the first meltdown of someone else's that I've witnessed around the virus, and she's the last person I would have expected to have it.  That was at 11 o'clock this morning, and it knocked my whole day off its axis.  I reached out to her via email with a virtual hug.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great Friday and weekend!  I appreciate all of you!!!

• Love 7

Thank you all for talking me out of the Adirondack chairs.  I wasn’t thinking about comfort, it was all about looks. Oh well, didn’t need to spend the money anyway. Even though my job is pretty secure I don’t feel good spending money right now. Our a/c is ancient and we planned and budgeted to replace it this spring, but now I’m hesitant. And then I feel bad because if we all hold back on spending the economy will tank even worse. 

Sorry for all the rambling. Isolation is getting to me 😬

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, Kbo said:

Sorry for all the rambling. Isolation is getting to me 😬

Oh my gosh dear, you hardly said anything!  I went on and on and on and on......

But believe me when I say it really helps to read posts from you ladies!!  

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Oh my gosh dear, you hardly said anything!  I went on and on and on and on......

But believe me when I say it really helps to read posts from you ladies!!  

Oh - one more thing - today I got an email from my doctor - they are only going to do "virtual" doctor appointments now, unless you are having lung issues.  They will determine at your virtual appointment if you need to actually be seen in person for whatever ails you, and then they will direct you to where you should go. (I have Kaiser - an HMO). 

Strange times we live in.  On the PLUS side - anything optional has been postponed until better times... so no colonoscopy!!  woohooo!  

They can just KEEP their poo-making juice!!

Edited by Kyanight
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

Hi All, I'm just checking in and have not had time to read many posts. I did see @Kyanight's at the top of this page. I hope YeahNo is okay too. I will have to go back and read up.

I think of all of you often and hope all are well. I haven't been able to post or read much because of some mental health challenges cropping up now, that make it difficult to focus on anything for long. Trying to do some research before a job interview took everything I had (phone interview that went okay - hoping they follow up ). Some days it is all I can do to just tidy up, prepare 3 meals for myself and eat them, take a shower and maybe a walk, and talk to one or two friends or family members. Tomorrow I have the grocery pickup and then the whole "detox" process. It shouldn't be so daunting, but it is. Also I am in a temporary rental and have to drive home soon. 125 miles seems very daunting indeed. I called the state police to see if car travel is allowed. They said yes but to wear a mask. I was planning to - I will have one or two masks in a few days that friends are sending. 

Please be safe everyone and stay well.

• Love 15
12 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Random thoughts.

I hope Yeah No is ok, and comes back to check in soon.  These are worrying times and there's only a handful of us here.  You are in my prayers every night Yeah..... and I always ask that the apartment will get taken care of so that it's one less worry for you.

Awww, thank you Kya, and everyone!  I am just so touched, I can't even express myself......

You are all in my prayers every night too.  I worry for all of us and the whole world.  We're all under a lot of stress and dealing with our own personal nightmares.  We really ARE all in this together, and what a blessing it is to have each other here on our little chat board.  At a time like this it means the world. 

I have had a much more solitary life than usual in the last few years since being wrongfully terminated from an executive admin. position in a Fortune 100 company.  I broke my arm very badly in the parking lot at work in 2016, needed surgery and phys. therapy, was on workers' comp., then was terminated for no cause while still collecting, which was against the law.  I won a lawsuit but wish the payout was better.  I looked for a job for a year and a half with no success despite getting second interviews a lot and being lead on to believe I got the job.  I'm not one to cry "age discrimination" but I never had anywhere near this kind of difficulty when I was younger.  So I gave up and hubbie and I have been struggling by on his limo. driving income.  We were doing OK but like so many people, it wouldn't take much to bring us to our knees financially.

In the past few years my little world has shrunk a lot.  My 3 year old car has only 20,000 miles on it and that's including trips to NYC to visit Dad.  I rarely venture out too far from home anyway, but like everyone else being forced to stay at home is difficult.  I realize how much more you find you need your friends in person when you are grieving a loved one.  There's nothing, not even zoom meetings that can replace that.  My best friend turned 62 this past week.  Another friend put together a zoom meeting for us to have a virtual birthday party for her - how wonderful THAT was in the middle of all of this!  But of course that was fleeting.  We have been getting out for walks but no matter how desolate the street or path is, I always feel like I'm running away from someone.  I am shocked at how many people are still walking into stores without masks and gloves despite the governor's order to wear them.  We haven't been inside a store for over a month.  We have been ordering our groceries online.

Earlier this week those storms that wrecked up the south came barreling through the Northeast and we had damaging winds which resulted in a huge tree falling over onto another tree near the road on our front lawn.  Just what we needed.  How much is THAT going to cost?  At least it didn't hit the power lines.  Of course we did have a 4 hour power failure in addition to this.  I was curled up in a ball on my bed sobbing.  My husband took the car out to investigate and saw a big tree down on the main road and the power crew out fixing the lines, so at least we knew it would probably not be long before power was back.  And it was.  But yikes, I started to feel like Job for a while.  I texted photos of the tree to friends and said, "What's next a swarm of LOCUSTS?"

I am trying not to think about my problems.  I had a few really BAD days this week.  The last couple were tolerable.  I am trying to catch up on my show threads.  We did some work out in the garage.  I am trying to shut down my father's cable and internet plus get his car returned (which was on our property since Feb. anyway), but need his death certificate, which hasn't arrived yet.  When I worry and get negative it's about what I'm going to do with his apartment, and being afraid that my husband or I or one of our friends is going to DIE in spite of trying to avoid it.  When the talking heads on TV discuss "opening the economy" I get scared.  What about us older people that aren't old enough to collect Social Security without a big penalty since we aren't 66 yet?  So many have lost their jobs, now will be in competition with tons of younger people and won't likely get them back.  One of my best friend's husbands is in this situation.  He is an electrical engineer that often goes to NYC on jobs.  His company asked him if he would be willing to go to NYC now with the Pandemic and because he said "no", they laid him off.  We can only hope and pray that someone in the government does something special for us.  My husband, who is usually not afraid of anything, is now deathly afraid of catching this virus since finding out what it does to the body.  How will he make a living now?  He is 64 - couldn't the government give people like him early Social Security?  We can only hope that something like this happens before our bank account goes down to zero.

Speaking of that friend whose husband lost his job, we actually got together in person this week.  She and I met at a little league ball field near my house.  It has some nice picnic tables and a parking lot so we came wearing our masks, each sitting at a different table.  It was like a scene from a scary dystopian sci-fi movie from the 1960s.  I'm glad we did that.  It was SO nice to see a friend in the flesh other than my husband for a change!

I'm scared to death to go down to NY to deal with the apartment.  I won't be able to for months I am sure, and even then I will be nervous.  Every month, it will cost another $1,000.  I just have to pray and hope that something happens before I go broke.  The management company of the building is truly evil.  So I have no hope of getting any sympathy or cooperation from them.

Plus now I am worried about another forum member from another show thread that I sometimes write to offline.  Because of some of the thought provoking posts on the show "God Friended Me", we got into a discussion offline and every now and then check in with each other to see how the other is doing.  When I hadn't seen them post on the show thread this past week, I emailed them asking if they were OK.  They wrote back asking me to pray for them because they were in the hospital with pneumonia waiting for the results of their Covid-19 test.  This person is close to my age with a health condition.  So now I am saying my prayers for them too and worry about them every day.

My continued thanks, love and best wishes to everyone here, and STAY SAFE!

• Love 18
10 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

I have to go off on a tangent and ask something I've always wondered. I've always loved the look of Adirondack chairs, especially in fun colors, but in actuality I find them really uncomfortable to sit in and avoid doing so. They're so popular that I've always assumed it's my own body or posture that's weird. Is it just me?

NOT JUST YOU!

When “The Pause” first started, my husband made a fire pit and put plastic Adirondack chairs around it. So, to stoke the fire, you have to balance on the end of the seat - it’s awkward. I actually tweaked my back because of it. Now he’s talked about making some from wood. Nooooooooo!

Plus, the back angles upward, so you have to pull your head forward if you want to talk to someone, or you are staring into the sun. Not a fan!

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

So now I am saying my prayers for them too and worry about them every day.

Yeah no!!  You came back!  Thank you for the update!  Everyone has been worried about you! Good/bad/or ugly, I love hearing about my Sister Wive's Board Friend's Lives right now.  WOW that is a mouthful!!  lol

Yeah - what is this friend's name that you mentioned above?  So that I can mention her by name in my prayers when I pray for "Yeah No"!!!!  I'm sure God knows who I mean, lol - but this way I can pray for your friend, as well.   Teafortwo - you are specifically in my prayers as well, for all that you are struggling with!!  ((((((((Hugs))))))))

Update on my son - he sounds horrible but yesterday he said he thought his cough might be getting a bit better.   I feel really good about how he is doing since he didn't have to be hospitalized.

And Yeah No - I am terrified at what is going to happen when they open the country up in a week or two.  I think the case numbers are going to spike.

AND FOR THE RECORD:  What is it with stupid Americans and their protests about their rights being taken away?  NO INDIVIDUAL'S RIGHT to "go where they please when they please how they please" is more important than another individual's right to live. (Meaning exist... breathe... not be sick!)  Period.  The selfishness and gall of some people really upsets me.  Ok.  I will jump off my soap box now.

Edited by Kyanight
  • Love 15
8 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

AND FOR THE RECORD:  What is it with stupid Americans and their protests about their rights being taken away?  NO INDIVIDUAL'S RIGHT to "go where they please when they please how they please" is more important than another individual's right to live. (Meaning exist... breathe... not be sick!)  Period.  The selfishness and gall of some people really upsets me. 

I am in Michigan where the incredibly selfish and appalling protest took place two days ago.  I am just flummoxed at that kind of mindset.  And sadly many are from the northern part of MI which has been somewhat spared due to the lower population.  So now these nimrods with their red hats will be bringing it right to us.  I am so ashamed that this is happening. It's not your right to strut around infecting other innocent people.  It's not your right to be the cause of deaths.  What kind of warped mind even thinks that way?

Yeah No, so good to hear from you.  We were worried.

And on a shallow note, that whole Adirondack chair thing gives me a stiff neck.  You are basically looking at the sky so they might be great for star gazing. But if you want to sit with friends around a fire, better bring a WHOLE lot of pillows to prop yourself up!

• Love 9

Regarding when to start receiving Social Security retirement benefits, I used to work there.  The advice we gave clients was to calculate your benefits beginning now and to calculate benefits retiring at full benefit age.  Add them up cumulatively. Then look to see when your break even point is.  That's when you'll start having more overall from waiting.  It sometimes helps people make the decision that waiting say 8 or 10 years to break even is or isn't worth it.

• Useful 7
  • Love 2

Polygamists or is my mind running wild?

A classmate of my daughter has a mom and dad who are married. The little girl has a baby sister, but the mom did not birth the sister, nor does the sister live with them. The mom says the daughter likes to dress up in matching outfits with the baby sister. The little girl refers to having families. Sounds like polygamy, right? 

Here’s the kicker: they are from Nepal and are devout Hindus. I can’t find on google that polygamy is practiced in Nepal or in the Hindu faith. 

• Useful 1
16 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I can’t find on google that polygamy is practiced in Nepal or in the Hindu faith. 

The original teachings of Hinduism do allow it. I know it's illegal in some countries like India but not sure about Nepal.  And it has be strictly follow the old caste rules.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

A classmate of my daughter has a mom and dad who are married. The little girl has a baby sister, but the mom did not birth the sister, nor does the sister live with them. The mom says the daughter likes to dress up in matching outfits with the baby sister. The little girl refers to having families. Sounds like polygamy, right? 

Here’s the kicker: they are from Nepal and are devout Hindus. I can’t find on google that polygamy is practiced in Nepal or in the Hindu faith. 

Who knows! 

When my youngest boys were in high school they had a friend whose parents had divorced and both had remarried.  And EVERYONE lived in the same house, under the same roof.  Mom, Dad, new husband, new wife and all of the assorted kids and half sisters and brothers.  (The adults did not all have sex together, they were devout Jehovah Witness.)   Everyone got along and it worked for them.   Then years later when all of the kids were grown all of the parents moved out and the kids bought the house.  It was one of the stranger family dynamics I had encountered, but who am *I to even say, lol.  My sons are still friends with that "kid".

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Families come in all kinds of shapes and sizes.  Would it change anything for you or your daughter if they were?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, sharkerbaby said:

Families come in all kinds of shapes and sizes.  Would it change anything for you or your daughter if they were?

I propose a new slogan.  "Befriend a sister wife and give her chocolate.  Lots of it".

I hope it catches on.

• Love 7

I had a really nice day today, I was off work so Mr Kbo and I actually left the house!  I put on makeup and everything!  We ordered lunch for curbside pickup and then found a place to park and ate in the car. It was a beautiful sunny day so we rolled the windows down and got some fresh air with no kids around 😊.

When we finished I ran into Target to get a few essentials and it was so nice to do something normal.  And plus I love Target, I had to fight the urge to browse but I did. I even scored a 4-pack of toilet paper. And clearance Easter chocolate 😉. It was exactly what I needed to endure another couple weeks of seclusion. Hope everyone else is doing okay. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Kbo said:

I had a really nice day today, I was off work so Mr Kbo and I actually left the house!  I put on makeup and everything!  We ordered lunch for curbside pickup and then found a place to park and ate in the car. It was a beautiful sunny day so we rolled the windows down and got some fresh air with no kids around 😊.

When we finished I ran into Target to get a few essentials and it was so nice to do something normal.  And plus I love Target, I had to fight the urge to browse but I did. I even scored a 4-pack of toilet paper. And clearance Easter chocolate 😉. It was exactly what I needed to endure another couple weeks of seclusion. Hope everyone else is doing okay. 

I went to Target today, too.  The parking lot was so full it was like Christmas.  Someone told me later that they thought it was because people were getting their stimulus checks.   I wanted to buy some Tylenol P.M.   The medicines were cleared out - empty shelves... EXCEPT Tylenol P.M.!  What the heck!!  It was a little surreal.  I bought three boxes because there were tons there. 

I love Target too, Kbo!  I didn't see any Easter chocolate but they DID have toilet paper.  A little bit.  I didn't buy any because we have some.  Out of about 15 Target employees I saw ONE wearing a face mask.  Out of about 70+ shoppers (including walking the parking lot) I saw about 6 people wearing masks.  Weird.  When I went to my grocery store the other day almost everyone was wearing one.   I have to say, this trip to Target was the highlight of my day.

What did you get for lunch, Kbo?  Details are important!  Tonight we got steaks and baked potatoes from Longhorn. (And strawberry shortcake for dessert!)  Again - PACKED parking lot.  The poor girl was running ragged going in and out and from car to car.  I guess they didn't expect the crowd... but even if they did they only have so many employees any more.

Whose states are opening up soon?  And what will happen then?

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

What did you get for lunch, Kbo?  Details are important!  Tonight we got steaks and baked potatoes from Longhorn. (And strawberry shortcake for dessert!)  Again - PACKED parking lot.  The poor girl was running ragged going in and out and from car to car.  I guess they didn't expect the crowd... 

Your meal sounds better than mine, Kya!  We had the gift card from Red Robin that our neighbor gave us after the Uber delivery mishap, so he got a burger and I got a chicken Caesar wrap. I didn’t care where we went, it was just so nice to get out of the house!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Kbo said:

Your meal sounds better than mine, Kya!  We had the gift card from Red Robin that our neighbor gave us after the Uber delivery mishap, so he got a burger and I got a chicken Caesar wrap. I didn’t care where we went, it was just so nice to get out of the house!

Well I LOVE LOVE LOVE Red Robin!  We have one we go to, but it's a bit of a drive so we haven't been there in awhile.  And I know what you mean about getting out of the house!

• Love 2

I live in the boonies in MT. There are 4 containers of Spam from Amazon in my mailbox on the road...I have to get up the nerve to go up and pick it up...yep getting scared to go out at all here...pls don't judge me 1st husband was Chinese and i can cook wonders with Spam...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Yeah no!!  You came back!  Thank you for the update!  Everyone has been worried about you! Good/bad/or ugly, I love hearing about my Sister Wive's Board Friend's Lives right now.  WOW that is a mouthful!!  lol

Yeah - what is this friend's name that you mentioned above?  So that I can mention her by name in my prayers when I pray for "Yeah No"!!!!  I'm sure God knows who I mean, lol - but this way I can pray for your friend, as well.   Teafortwo - you are specifically in my prayers as well, for all that you are struggling with!!  ((((((((Hugs))))))))

Thanks so much and sorry for going on so long, I'm just not myself these days....

I have EXCELLENT news about my forum friend - It's a him - He just emailed me today that he does NOT have Covid and was released from the hospital.  The pneumonia is related to a heart condition he has.  He's a very lucky guy and I am so relieved!  But thanks for that offer of prayer it is much appreciated.

19 hours ago, Kyanight said:

And Yeah No - I am terrified at what is going to happen when they open the country up in a week or two.  I think the case numbers are going to spike.

AND FOR THE RECORD:  What is it with stupid Americans and their protests about their rights being taken away?  NO INDIVIDUAL'S RIGHT to "go where they please when they please how they please" is more important than another individual's right to live. (Meaning exist... breathe... not be sick!)  Period.  The selfishness and gall of some people really upsets me.  Ok.  I will jump off my soap box now.

I hear you, and I agree.  I just went off on a rant on a celebrity's Facebook page.  Seems that this person, whose name I won't mention but is a TV psychologist that gives out relationship advice, tried to make comparisons between the Covid deaths and those from the flu or automobile accidents, and acted like we should just open up everything because all the negative psychological effects of being stuck at home would be even worse in the long run - As if not staying home and witnessing MILLIONS of deaths wouldn't cause even WORSE psychological effects on people!  Seems I started something as a TON of people posted under me with the same rant!  Then there is yet another TV doctor that made comments to the effect of being in support of opening up schools since kids don't suffer that much from the virus - Is he FREAKING OUT OF HIS MIND?  As if those kids won't give the virus to each other then go home and give it to mom, dad, grandma and grandpa!!  A friend of mine told me there was a lot of backlash toward both doctors and I just noticed all the articles about this online.  I just can't believe these totally out of touch people that put themselves up as "experts"!

• Love 6

Target?  I miss Target....sigh.....😥

To lighten the mood, I thought I'd post this little funny I found on my friend's Facebook page.  I was ROTFL!!

image.thumb.png.42dfba29e3ed008d294d78485ec26b54.png

Edited by Yeah No
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

A real restaurant for take out?  Wow, I'd kill for that.  We have two pizza places and a Big Boy.

92830724_3663020183772450_6763313167406727168_n.jpg

LOL!!  So there is a facebook group in Australia that dress up in weird costumers or ball gowns or in scuba gear to take their trash bins to the curb and then they post videos and pictures for their neighbors to see!!  This is an open group for anyone!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/306002627033697/ 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I hear you, and I agree.  I just went off on a rant on a celebrity's Facebook page.  Seems that this person, whose name I won't mention but is a TV psychologist that gives out relationship advice, tried to make comparisons between the Covid deaths and those from the flu or automobile accidents, and acted like we should just open up everything because all the negative psychological effects of being stuck at home would be even worse in the long run - As if not staying home and witnessing MILLIONS of deaths wouldn't cause even WORSE psychological effects on people!  Seems I started something as a TON of people posted under me with the same rant!  Then there is yet another TV doctor that made comments to the effect of being in support of opening up schools since kids don't suffer that much from the virus - Is he FREAKING OUT OF HIS MIND?

You won't name him? I will.  Dr. Phil.  And I respected the dude, too.  Is this lockdown affecting his income or something?  Usually he's full of sense but on this situation he's way off in left-field.

Also Dr. Oz. who said the 2% -3% deaths associated with kids going back to school would be acceptable.  Did he ever give a thought to killing off all of the teachers and school administrators and janitors and cafeteria workers?  And then these kids carrying the virus home (like you said) to grandparents and other family members?

And I'm so glad your friend is ok!!

• Love 9

Things in western Pa are slow and steady.  My son works at a local corporate supermarket as night stock and has been working insane long hours.  He now wears a mask for work, but not everyone is.  My husband and I don't venture out very much and only in the morning when we need to do a market run.  I usually spend a day doing freezer and pantry inventory and making a solid list and putting the list in the order of the store we will be going to so we don't have to spend too much time. Household jobs and cooking is really our primary focus everyday.

The one family owned market seems to have the best selection of stock and since that is where we already buy all of our meat we are doing the lion's share of our shopping there.  Meat, milk, dairy, cheese, produce is all in good supply but they now limit how many eggs (2 doz) per grocery order. We have developed a system of shopping and using disinfectant wipes after getting in the car, plus a quarantine shelf by the back door at home and full washing of hands etc.  It is tedious. I bought some 200 thread count muslin online and will be figuring out some masks for us and some friends this weekend.

I had to stop going to the pottery for a few weeks.  The owners husband needed a surgery for his heart condition and since he was in a city hospital they shut themselves in for over two weeks.  There are no symptoms with either of them thankfully and I have been allowed to return.  However since this happened they are downsizing their studio to eventually stop the teaching side of it all together.  It is the only teaching studio in the area and some people drive over an hour to take classes.  I will need to move quicker setting up my own home space to continue with my pottery.

While the headlines say that places may be starting to reopen soon, things locally don't seem to be heading that way and my son has been issued "working papers" in case he needs to prove why he is out of the house and traveling to/from work. 

AND...a bit of a rant.  Holy cow unemployment is a royal pain in the a$$.  ZERO clear instructions and no help available through the website.  My husband was on the first wave to get signed up and has finally figured out after hours clicking and reading and rereading he has entered weeks of claims with no notification of if or when money will or will not come, or even an amount to expect when it does.  The limbo is really beating us down. 

We were talking the other morning about the last time that we had spent so much time together.  We kept going back and back in time (we have been together 30 years now) and the most we have spent is when the holidays lined up and he had a 2 week vacation.  The last time we spent every day together was the end of 1993.  I had been laid off from my job in the summer and he was just laid off and we had several months at the holidays before he was hired at a new job and then I started the process to go to culinary school.  I can see how bumpy relationships and toxic families are really going to be tested at this time.  Often the only way you can survive is with space, being able to get out and about and away from people.  I am thankful that we started working out a lot of issues that we had several years ago.

Oh. And another rant is bloody Pennsylvania and their bloody alcohol sales.  Or I should say NON sales.  While another state a friend lives in will deliver mixed cocktails with take away food orders...Pa closed the state stores and then opened a "website' to order online.  However that website has limited numbers of orders per day.  NO idea when you can start ordering in the day.  Its bloody ridiculous!! While I am not sure, even some neighboring states are not allowing Pa residents to travel across state lines to buy alcohol. I am fine with limiting my evening whiskey consumption but I would like to buy the wines that I usually cook with... I'm even limiting my sangria because I have no idea when I can buy more wine to make more.

• Love 6

Being home all the time makes me focused on the stuff I could be doing, Spackle the cracks in the ceiling or washing the windows. I deep cleaned my refridge this week, and I think I may have found the cure for the virus underneath my veggie bins....( I kid ) So while the interior of the house has never looked better, what I wouldn't give to be able to stroll through Home Goods and find the perfect something for the wall in my bedroom. Soon...please be soon.

I hope everyone is well and stays well...I always can count on the people on this forum for making this time in life better with the wit, compassion and snark!

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Kyanight said:

You won't name him? I will.  Dr. Phil.  And I respected the dude, too.  Is this lockdown affecting his income or something?  Usually he's full of sense but on this situation he's way off in left-field.

I know, it sounded to me like the lockdown is bothering HIM more than the people he's supposedly defending!  It doesn't surprise me that someone that extroverted would have a particularly hard time with it, though.  Being confirmed introverts, my husband and I are actually LOVING the time at home to tackle projects we haven't had the time nor energy to finish up until now.  Of course right now I don't feel like doing much of that because of my grieving, but I'm slowly trying to get back into it.

I didn't mention Dr. Phil's name because I didn't want to be told I was getting political or whatever but I guess that's not really an issue here.

Also Dr. Oz. who said the 2% -3% deaths associated with kids going back to school would be acceptable.  Did he ever give a thought to killing off all of the teachers and school administrators and janitors and cafeteria workers?  And then these kids carrying the virus home (like you said) to grandparents and other family members?

And I'm so glad your friend is ok!!

I'm relieved he's OK too.  Wow, what a scare! 

To Dr. Oz's credit he later admitted that he engaged in a poor choice of words and back pedaled on that position somewhat to include that it would only be a good idea to open schools "when safe to do so".  Ho-kay, whatever.  These people talk first, think later.  I think they're under a lot of stress like the rest of us and not their usual selves either.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Being home all the time makes me focused on the stuff I could be doing, Spackle the cracks in the ceiling or washing the windows. I deep cleaned my refridge this week, and I think I may have found the cure for the virus underneath my veggie bins....( I kid ) So while the interior of the house has never looked better, what I wouldn't give to be able to stroll through Home Goods and find the perfect something for the wall in my bedroom. Soon...please be soon.

I hope everyone is well and stays well...I always can count on the people on this forum for making this time in life better with the wit, compassion and snark!

You too, Mahamid!  Your life sounds like mine - I deep cleaned my fridge too.  You had to go and remind me of Home Goods, though! (boo-hoo).  😭  I feel the same way.  Around this time of year they'd have all the fake floral arrangements out and I'd be picking through the clearance rack to find that perfect one marked down from $20.00 to $8.99.  Sigh.....

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

To Dr. Oz's credit he later admitted that he engaged in a poor choice of words and back pedaled....

I have no tolerance for this BS anymore. That's the excuse du jour for all of these clowns. "I really didn't meant THAT".  "I never said THAT".  It is MISINTERPRETED". 

These charlatans know exactly what they are saying and their followers believe it and spread the lies to the detriment of society.  How many people who adore these clowns were/are involved in protests, parading around without masks, mingling in crowds because "Dr. Oz or Dr. Phil said it's OK"?  Have they no conscience at all?  Are they prepared to take any responsibility for an increase in infections due to their careless words? 

I am livid about this.  I would be mortified to the end of my days if I were responsible for harm to any human being!  They show no remorse, just a fake half-assed "apology" and follow the Meri "not MY fault, I was misunderstood" route.  Too little, too late.

• Love 16
1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

I have no tolerance for this BS anymore. That's the excuse du jour for all of these clowns. "I really didn't meant THAT".  "I never said THAT".  It is MISINTERPRETED". 

These charlatans know exactly what they are saying and their followers believe it and spread the lies to the detriment of society.  How many people who adore these clowns were/are involved in protests, parading around without masks, mingling in crowds because "Dr. Oz or Dr. Phil said it's OK"?  Have they no conscience at all?  Are they prepared to take any responsibility for an increase in infections due to their careless words? 

I am livid about this.  I would be mortified to the end of my days if I were responsible for harm to any human being!  They show no remorse, just a fake half-assed "apology" and follow the Meri "not MY fault, I was misunderstood" route.  Too little, too late.

I really do agree with you 10,000%.  I was trying to be generous but you're really right!!!

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I was trying to be generous but you're really right!!!

You are a better person than I. My generosity quotient ran out about a week ago! 

We've had a huge increase in cases in our little rural are with 10 of our 19 hospital beds with Covid patients.  It's the only hospital for 30 square miles, only 2 ICU beds.  And our Governor begged people from the southern part of MI to stay put and not come up to their summer places and they ignored that and brought it with them.  Not a good couple of days here.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

You too, Mahamid!  Your life sounds like mine - I deep cleaned my fridge too.  You had to go and remind me of Home Goods, though! (boo-hoo).  😭  I feel the same way.  Around this time of year they'd have all the fake floral arrangements out and I'd be picking through the clearance rack to find that perfect one marked down from $20.00 to $8.99.  Sigh.....

Well, there's always Overstock 😊

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

@Yeah No I am just catching up a little bit and I wanted to add to the voices above.  I am so sad to learn of your father's death. He sounds like an exceptionally wonderful person. My heart aches for you and the many people who loved him. Thank you for the details of his unusual life and for posting his picture. 

I also read your post about the Bronx apt. That is an incredibly difficult situation. Please know you're in my thoughts and I wish you all the best navigating all of this.

• Love 7

@Yeah No maybe there is an online service that can find a renter/buyer for the apartment? I'm thinking of the commercials for Apartment.com.  I'm sure there are things there you want, maybe some service could empty the apartment and put the things in storage or one of those pod things that can be shipped to you. I just can't imagine the difficult situation you are in. My prayers for you continue.

• Love 9
On 4/19/2020 at 1:16 AM, Teafortwo said:

@Yeah No I am just catching up a little bit and I wanted to add to the voices above.  I am so sad to learn of your father's death. He sounds like an exceptionally wonderful person. My heart aches for you and the many people who loved him. Thank you for the details of his unusual life and for posting his picture. 

I also read your post about the Bronx apt. That is an incredibly difficult situation. Please know you're in my thoughts and I wish you all the best navigating all of this.

On 4/19/2020 at 2:41 AM, Gramto6 said:

@Yeah No maybe there is an online service that can find a renter/buyer for the apartment? I'm thinking of the commercials for Apartment.com.  I'm sure there are things there you want, maybe some service could empty the apartment and put the things in storage or one of those pod things that can be shipped to you. I just can't imagine the difficult situation you are in. My prayers for you continue.

Thanks to both of you - As far as a online service, co-op apartments are just about THE most difficult things to sell because there's an owner's board that has to approve prospective buyers before they are allowed to purchase the place.  They have to appear before the board and submit all sorts of documents.  Plus the board will usually only will approve "principals", meaning people that intend to live in the apartment.  My problem is that the apartment is a complete fixer-upper in that it would take a TOTAL renovation even to make the place rent-able.  I am unable to handle that from so far away, plus in a tough place like NY, so I am pretty much stuck with selling it as-is.  But who is going to buy a place like that that wants to live in it?  I knew of one couple that rented one apartment in the building while renovating another, but how many people would want to do that?  I can see it now that I'm going to have to get rid of the place "as is" and take a much lower price as a result, one that after all the fees and taxes they get you for might not even be that much.  And I don't even know if they will let me sell it to someone that will have to make it over before moving in.  It's a real dilemma.

And putting stuff in storage would be extremely costly given the amount of stuff, plus then I'd have to go through it all.  Even a POD would be expensive.  The best I'm going to do is go through the stuff there, take the few things that still matter to me (which will probably be too much as it is, although I've taken 90% of what matters to me already), and let 1-800-GOT-JUNK or something like that take the rest away.  I'd really like to be doing that RIGHT NOW, but given the pandemic, I can't, and now I'll have to agonize about going down there even when they open up travel between here and there (which I'm sure won't happen until at least JUNE) and worry that it could be worth my LIFE!  This took a really bad situation from bad to even WORSE!

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions, I do really appreciate them, however unless a miracle happens the nightmare is unavoidable.

Went to my favorite grocery store today. Was shocked - about 99% of the people were wearing masks and everyone was great about staying far apart from each other.

Same old same old - they had a few packages of toilet paper and 1 per customer limit which is great.  Although I DID wonder... if a customer can only buy ONE package.. would you buy the teeny four pack of one-ply tissue or the honking Charmin package?  Then I realized it's what you can afford.  And that made me sad.

Shelves are always half-stocked anymore, so it's no longer shocking.  What WAS surprising (and why I wrote this post) is that the store has hung flyers on all of the end caps of the aisles that say "Please be considerate and do not buy more items than you need.  Items out of stock may be replaced when we receive them or they may not come back in stock".  What the heck?  Of course I have no idea WHICH items might not be available again... at least in the near future.  I hope it's not my favorite stuff.

OH!!  A great idea I picked up somewhere - probably on FB.  You can buy a package of sandwich baggies and slip your hand into one to punch numbers on a keypad or pull open freezer doors at the grocery store, etc. etc.  That way the gloves are saved for the medical personnel.   I bought a package of sandwich bags this morning and opened it up at the checkout and tested it then and there.  Worked GREAT - and they had a trash can right there to toss the bag into. (Instead of the sidewalk outside the store, which is what I see stupid people are doing in photos on the net.)

Yesterday while heading to my sister's house to give her a GREAT fish face mask I bought her, I saw a panhandler at an intersection and I was going to give him a few dollars since most people these days use debit cards and don't carry cash, so these people don't get as much $$ as people think they do.  Unfortunately the light turned green right away and there were people behind me so I had to go.  On the way back home I saw a different guy with a sign at a different light and it had just turned red so I handed him all I had in cash - $11.00.  When I handed my sister the mask she handed me a box (we stay far apart - she is older than I am and in terrible health) and she always sends me bizarre stuff.  Before the light turned green I rummaged in the box and found 2 packets of instant oatmeal and a cardboard bowl package of Kraft Mac and Cheese - so I handed these to him as well.  That has to be the weirdest handout I've ever given.  Once I gave a bum a package of four cupcakes that were going stale - along with some money.   That could be ME someday... homeless on a corner.... and if someone gave ME a cupcake I would be pretty thrilled, lol.   But you all know me and my sweet tooth. (Which isn't brown like Meri's.)

image.png.d316cc2ad27b559296223f699a39d340.png <~~~ The adorable fish mask

Edited by Kyanight
  • Love 11

In California, or at least in the Bay Area, we are now required to wear masks anytime we go into a store or public location. We don't have to wear while exercising but it's recommended.  

Most of the stores I go to aren't taking cash, period. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

In California, or at least in the Bay Area, we are now required to wear masks anytime we go into a store or public location. We don't have to wear while exercising but it's recommended.  

Most of the stores I go to aren't taking cash, period. 

Today I wore this mask:  image.png.b71b909a4443fe9140a52834fdf55b46.png

Life is gloomy right now, so I am going to make my own fun.  Plus I was wearing a pink shirt so I was color coordinated!  😄

Money is so dirty and germ infested even when there ISN'T a pandemic.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

And in Michigan, despite the travel ban, that group of nincompoops had a rally and blocked traffic (including an ambulance) at our state capital, all without social distancing or masks.  These evil, selfish individuals should be REQUIRED to tattoo the saying "I caught Covid on purpose, don't treat me" on their chest so when they go to the hospital they can get kicked to the curb.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
Just now, Kohola3 said:

And in Michigan, despite the travel ban, that group of nincompoops had a rally and blocked traffic (including an ambulance) at our state capital, all without social distancing or masks.  These evil, selfish individuals should be REQUIRED to tattoo the saying "I caught Covid on purpose, don't treat me" on their chest so when they go to the hospital they can get kicked to the curb.

These protesters were HORRIBLE to doctors and nurses in scrubs and masks who were there to represent the other side.  These are people who statistics say WILL end up in the hospital one or more times in their lives... for surgeries or injuries or illness or accidents... and I am not talking about Covid19.  How could ANYONE be so mean to people who chose their profession to HELP people at their most vulnerable (and sometimes helpless) times in their lives?   And these TWITS.... these IDIOTS.... just MIGHT catch Covid - or their loved ones will catch it from them and end up in the hospital and these exact same doctors and nurses will be cleaning their vents and changing their diapers and wiping their foreheads and giving them juice or water and just some basic human kindness.  Some people really suck.

• Love 13