Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E08: Saviors

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

DiNozzo is reunited with his ex-girlfriend, Jeanne Benoit, when insurgents in Sudan attack a group of volunteer doctors, including her husband.  DiNozzo and McGee travel to the crime scene for the joint murder and kidnapping case and join the search for the missing doctors.

Enjoyable episode and Tony and Jeanne still have amazing chemistry. 

One complaint, though, and that was seeing too much of what was obviously southern California hills in "South Sudan."  Every now and then this show really screws up the background scenery.

• Love 13

I liked the episode too. I liked the recall to Tony's past with Jeanne, I liked McGee nudging him about it (and in his own way being supportive of Tony), I liked that he finally has some closure (not just because she's happily married but because she finally forgave him, which is what I think he really needed) and I liked the inner conflict Gibbs faced and how his doctor kept pushing him to realize he'd been through more than he thinks and he can't just power through it like he does everything else. I look forward to seeing more growth on Gibbs' part; I thought that final scene ("Even the great Leroy Jethro Gibbs is afraid of something") was really interesting. I wanted that conversation to keep going.

• Love 8

The story was a good one, it kept me involved. I felt so awful for the victims in the very beginning. 

The Tony/Jeanne followup was well played.  I did wonder where they were going with Gibbs, at one point where he's looking at the screen I was hoping his lack of concentration wasn't indicating some sort of memory loss.  I also  wonder why if Gibbs needs to talk out his problems, why he can't do it with Ducky, who has psychological training and knows Gibbs as well as anyone apparently.

• Love 4

I think perhaps Gibbs can talk to surgeon-Ducky because they have the loss of a child in common, so there are things he can't bring himself to talk about that surgeon-Ducky already knows.

• Love 2

I'm also too tired to write a cohesive post tonight, but the short version is I was really looking forward to this episode and it didn't disappoint! Even though I wasn't a huge fan of Jeanne's character by the time The Frog arc ended, I enjoyed getting to see her and Tony interact once more.

• Love 4

Enjoyable episode and Tony and Jeanne still have amazing chemistry. 

One complaint, though, and that was seeing too much of what was obviously southern California hills in "South Sudan."  Every now and then this show really screws up the background scenery.

I'd say more like frequently, to be honest.

• Love 4

I watched after not watching regularly for a year or so, because of the Tony/Jeanne previews. It was fine.

My more important question coming out of the episode....Sean Murray (McGee)....that's a toupee/hairpiece on top right? I've thought it for a few years when I still watched regularly and noticed I couldn't look away from the top of his head tonight when I tuned in (I was even examining when he purportedly had sweaty hair from the Sudan).

Does anyone know?

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

Are US troops on the ground in South Sudan and allowed to shoot tribespeople without issue?

yes if they were protecting or rescuing US citizens.  In this case they were sent in specifically to rescue

Edited by pally

Are US troops on the ground in South Sudan and allowed to shoot tribespeople without issue?

I was thinking we have Navy SEALs in South Sudan just roaming around it seemed and a Marine helicopter can reach that far from the sea.

• Love 1

Now this is the show I know and love. I was fully engaged and my attention didn't wander.

But all I could think was, it was all Ziva's fault that there was all this unresolved guilt feelings on Tony's part, beacuse you know, in the previous season when Tony was undercover, she was all in his face, acting jealous and wanting to know what he was doing and when it all imploded the following season, she tells Tony to "be a MAN" and lie to to her and tell her that none of it was real. Because you know, that would help her move on.

And for all I couldn't stand her, I did like her in this episode and I'm glad they talked and are now on equal footing if that makes sense.

I was afeared Gibbs was having memory loss as well, what with the echoey words and blurring of the scene. I miss his short hair!

Tony was looking especially hawt.

• Love 4

Like I said last night, this was a good episode and I really enjoyed it. Tony was all of things I like: charming, confident, capable. I appreciate that Jeanne got to see him doing what he does best, and I appreciated that Jeanne was strong and capable herself here, not falling to tears and histrionics. This was the Jeanne that I liked in the beginning, not the one who couldn't stop wailing about having to find a new apartment.

I got a chuckle out of Tim trying to "nutshell" Tony and Jeanne's history to Bishop and everyone going "Jeanne Benoit, really?!". It was, of course, awfully convenient that Dr. Taft knew one of the missing doctors, causing him to rush to NCIS just in time to witness Gibbs' collapse. That aside, I do enjoy Taft and Gibbs together and that Taft is getting Gibbs to acknowledge the enormity of what he has been through. Personally, I think Gibbs is one of those people who sees himself as invulnerable (even though he knows deep down that he is not) and refuses to acknowledge any sort of weakness or acceptance of age/injury because that would be akin to giving up. Gibbs lives for his work (and maybe for his carpentry) and doesn't like feeling useless, so accepting that he has an injury/weakness is difficult and/or impossible.

Nice to see Stan again, though I felt badly for him, losing a friend (and potential love interest). The dialogue was a little heavy-handed with "the one who got away" and "I should have told her how I felt" but then, subtly has never been the show's strong suit.

Personally, now that Tony and Jeanne have come face to face and gotten some closure, I will perfectly happy if we never see Jeanne again. I don't know why we have to keep dredging the past. I don't think bringing Jeanne back again would serve much purpose now-- she's moved from what happened and now Tony can hopefully let go of whatever guilt he was carrying about the whole debacle. It's been eight years and I don't think there's much that needs to be done. Things will always be bittersweet between them, because of what could have been and how it ended, but I think I can say as a fan, I don't need anything else at this point.

Edited by catray
  • Love 12

Why would they bring back Jeanne?  I always found her super-bland yet still annoying somehow - yeah, let's bring *that* character back.  She somehow never knew her dad was some big wig criminal (I can see not knowing specifics, but she had to know something was up), yet took it in stride when she found out he was an illegal arms dealer.  Somehow she can live a normal life and get normal jobs depsite her father having been a super criminal.  Just stupid.  And she has to force her way into the investigation - they should have had her fly herself out there.  Why on the gov't dime take a civilian?  So sick of seeing her morose face, please never bring her back.

I did like all the "Jeanne, really?" remarks, though.  

• Love 1

Why would they bring back Jeanne?  I always found her super-bland yet still annoying somehow - yeah, let's bring *that* character back.  She somehow never knew her dad was some big wig criminal (I can see not knowing specifics, but she had to know something was up), yet took it in stride when she found out he was an illegal arms dealer.  Somehow she can live a normal life and get normal jobs depsite her father having been a super criminal.  Just stupid.  And she has to force her way into the investigation - they should have had her fly herself out there.  Why on the gov't dime take a civilian?  So sick of seeing her morose face, please never bring her back.

Well, that's sort of an ongoing problem with the women on this show, don't you think? They only really exist in reference to the men. In this case, Jeanne being there allows Tony to get closure for the the fact that he screwed Jeanne over (on behalf of Jenny, who more or less gave up her life to become her father's avenging angel). Of course, Jeanne did try to frame him for murder, but girls are excitable that way, and besides, jealous!Ziva told Tony to give Jeanne closure by preying on her insecurities and telling her he was only with her professionally, which maybe wasn't all that sensitive...

At least she came out of it alive. And next week, Bishop actually articulates her thoughts about her relationship with her husband, to her husband. This is kind of huge progress.

• Love 5

I really liked this ep and full of old faces that really worked. I really enjoyed seeing this Stan not the  prop one  they had come back for bollocks jealous Tony thing with Ziva. This time Stan got to shine for himself. And i really like Gibbs Dr, Gibbs need someone in his face and not in the polite way everyone else talks to him. The Dr is kinda like Fornell for Gibbs right now when Fornell can't be.

I thought they handled the Jeanne thing really well and funny, with everyone saying the same thing.But they never got to have any honest closure and here they did. But i think Stan was right Jeanne is the one that got away for Tony and Tony was her.

• Love 1

yes if they were protecting or rescuing US citizens.  In this case they were sent in specifically to rescue

who were they rescuing? it wasn't the crew Tony et al were there for as the SEALS were not able to stop to help much - did I miss another group in danger somewhere else?

Tony and his team went there to find the remaining doctors / nurses (including Jeanne's husband) and any U.S. staff that might still be alive after the attack on the makeshift hospital. The SEALS weren't able to stick around and help them, so they continued the mission on their own, and then Gibbs sent some of his people to get them all out of there safely. That was my understanding, anyway.

• Love 1

Why would they bring back Jeanne?

The one most important aspect of the Jeanne/Tony relationship show wise was that it was the first extended period of time that Tony led the team and then when Gibbs came back, he continued to work the op and left Gibbs out of the loop.  Given that they haven't just dropped Gibbs dealing with his recovery and contemplating his future/mortality/whatever, I think Jeanne might be back just to remind everyone of the Gibbs retires and Tony steps up to lead the team storylines.  At the same time, Tony keeps getting storylines where he's in the lead while Gibb's is periodically side-lined or distracted or isolating himself.  I'm still dodging a lot of anvils that make me think that they don't think Harmon will sign again and are setting up a post-Gibbs future.

On the other hand, its also likely they are planning the 300th episode and thinking through their history and its inspiring some storylines.  Its not like we haven't seen versions of this before.  Gibb's exes show up.  Tony's ex-finance(?) too.

• Love 1

The one most important aspect of the Jeanne/Tony relationship show wise was that it was the first extended period of time that Tony led the team and then when Gibbs came back, he continued to work the op and left Gibbs out of the loop.  Given that they haven't just dropped Gibbs dealing with his recovery and contemplating his future/mortality/whatever, I think Jeanne might be back just to remind everyone of the Gibbs retires and Tony steps up to lead the team storylines.  At the same time, Tony keeps getting storylines where he's in the lead while Gibb's is periodically side-lined or distracted or isolating himself.  I'm still dodging a lot of anvils that make me think that they don't think Harmon will sign again and are setting up a post-Gibbs future.

On the other hand, its also likely they are planning the 300th episode and thinking through their history and its inspiring some storylines.  Its not like we haven't seen versions of this before.  Gibb's exes show up.  Tony's ex-finance(?) too.

That's a really good point.

I think perhaps Gibbs can talk to surgeon-Ducky because they have the loss of a child in common, so there are things he can't bring himself to talk about that surgeon-Ducky already knows.

I agree. He and ME Ducky are tight, but I have a gut feeling that ME Ducky has never forgiven him for the "betrayal" (in Ducky's eyes) of not sharing the loss of Kelly and Shannon with him. He had to find out by accident when Jenny found out. And while Gibbs certainly loves and respects him, as well as all of them, I totally agree that having that awful shared experience with surgeon-Ducky has to make talking about *anything* that much easier. Because that loss shades every decision GIbbs has made since it happened. It's why he is so protective of Abby and all of them, really, but yet hard on DiNozzo like he would be to son (IMO). Plus, talking to someone who hasn't spent the last 10 years with you in some capacity has its appeal. Especially when you don't even have to say aloud the thing that haunts you the most. Or, even see that person ever again if you don't choose to.

(Am I spending too much time thinking about this? Yes, yes I am.)

What a shame Jimmy can't tell left from right (broken scapula)

Ha! I noticed that, too! And then I wondered why not one person editing this episode noticed...

Count me in as also enjoying the "Jeane Benoit?? REALLY!?!?"

I am hoping that someday, some superfan out there makes a supercut of every nickname Tony has thrown at McGee. McGossip Girl was gold. (Makes me long for Psych and "Sha'Dynasty. That's S-H-A-comma to the top-Dynasty")

• Love 6

We were about to start playing the "Jeanne Benoit?!" drinking game since everyone was saying it the same way.

All the talk about South Sudan was amusing to me because I was just buying a globe for my geography-obsessed kids, and the reviews of all the globes were going on about whether or not they included South Sudan and I apparently missed that bit of world news.

I sorta hoped that Jeanne's husband didn't make it, so that she & Tony could be together but that would violate the NCIS-verse law that nobody can be in a happy relationship, so it was probably better that Jeanne just forgave him and they all just moved on, or whatever.

Tim's summation, not bad.

• Love 1

I recently bought a large wall map and had to ensure it included South Sudan - it's been a country for a few years, now; not all that recent so I would hope that most maps/globes have been updated.

I think Jean and her husband living (presumably) happily ever after counts as violating the rule about nobody being in a happy relationship!

I also loved the "Jeanne Benoit, really?" comments. I feel like if it was done differently, I could have been very annoyed by it, but it just made me laugh. I wasn't looking forward to seeing Jeanne again, but I actually really liked the episode and seeing her again.

Not such a fan of the Gibbs storyline though. His issues never really struck me as possible memory loss, instead it seemed more like query brain tumour or something.

Not such a fan of the Gibbs storyline though. His issues never really struck me as possible memory loss, instead it seemed more like query brain tumour or something.

That is my biggest problem with the storyline.  I keep jumping to the conclusion that he's about to blow an aneurism and die or something.  No matter how many times his Dr. talks about stress or normal reactions to being shot or taking time to recover, it doesn't stick with me. 

I think its because over 13 seasons Gibbs has been shot and blown up so many times without ever having a prolonged normal reaction, that now that they decided to do that I can't see it as normal.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 2

I also liked this episode.  At first I cringed at Jeanne coming back.  But I thought her return was handled pretty well.  One thing I did worry about though, was I thought that her husband (David?) was giong to be killed during that rescue.  And that she would then turn to Tony for comfort and start that whole angsty dialog between the two of them once again.  So am glad they didn't go there.

Count me in as one of those who like Taft and Gibbs together.  He's the one guy (I guess other than Ducky) who can speak his mind to Gibbs and not really care what Gibbs thinks about it.  I really enjoyed that scene where after being badgered by Gibbs about having some of the steak, he just unceremoniously dumped it in the garbage.  Can't imagine anyone else doing that to Gibbs (and living to tell about it).  ;)

I also also kinda hoping that maybe he would order Gibbs to take some sort of forced vacation/sick leave.  That way Tony could be more on point as the leader on a few cases for awhile.  But that's just probably my own wishful thinking there.

Still, enjoyed the episode for the most part. 

• Love 3

I was thinking we have Navy SEALs in South Sudan just roaming around it seemed and a Marine helicopter can reach that far from the sea.

I figure we were to assume it also came from Camp Lemonnier, but that's still way out of range for a helicopter.  Central Africa isn't exactly teeming with US military bases.

I agree about Jeanne.  From her first appearance, I've found her to be completely bland and thus I was always eager to be rid of her.  This episode was good in spite of her and I have no interest in revisiting that relationship ever again. 

I was a little surprised by how mellow Abby acted considering the Ziva intervention she had for Tony when Keats showed up.

But all I could think was, it was all Ziva's fault that there was all this unresolved guilt feelings on Tony's part, beacuse you know, in the previous season when Tony was undercover, she was all in his face, acting jealous and wanting to know what he was doing and when it all imploded the following season, she tells Tony to "be a MAN" and lie to to her and tell her that none of it was real. Because you know, that would help her move on.

Tony was looking especially hawt.

Wait, I'm confused. How was any of that Ziva's fault? She was telling Tony to be a man and confront her to tell her the truth, but at the last second he chickened out and lied how their relationship wasn't real. He was too scared, so I don't know how it was Ziva's fault.

I detested Jeanne after she lied about Tony killing her father, but I liked her in this episode. I'm glad that she moved on and is happy, and Tony can get some closure. I'm curious why they haven't brought up the current cop he's dating- did they break up?

Edited by twoods

I liked the episode, and thrilled to see a story like the ones I loved years ago, but I just can't get past Jon Cryer. While unfair, I still equate him with the dolt on Two and a Half Men, a show I detested.

I'm so glad I never watched that show so Jon Cryer will always be Duckie to me. 

• Love 1

I think its because over 13 seasons Gibbs has been shot and blown up so many times without ever having a prolonged normal reaction, that now that they decided to do that I can't see it as normal.

Yeah, but poor little Kelly is spending her entire afterlife telling her dying father to go back. She should probably get it on a t-shirt and save time. 

I think, though, all the changes were less about his being shot than they were about his being shot by a kid.

Wait, I'm confused. How was any of that Ziva's fault? She was telling Tony to be a man and confront her to tell her the truth, but at the last second he chickened out and lied how their relationship wasn't real. He was too scared, so I don't know how it was Ziva's fault.

It was really clear to me that Ziva's "be a man" was encouraging Tony to lie to Jeanne about none of it being real so that Jeanne could move on cleanly (which, as we saw in this episode, she did).  That said, I think he was wrong to take Ziva's advice but in the end it was his choice and not Ziva's fault.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 5

It was really clear to me that Ziva's "be a man" was encouraging Tony to lie to Jeanne about none of it being real so that Jeanne could move on cleanly (which, as we saw in this episode, she did).  That said, I think he was wrong to take Ziva's advice but in the end it was his choice and not Ziva's fault.

That was certainly the way I interpreted what Ziva told him to do. But then, I thought they kind of cheapened Ziva's character a bit when love interests for Tony came into play. I never could understand what they thought was romantic about that.

• Love 5

Tony and his team went there to find the remaining doctors / nurses (including Jeanne's husband) and any U.S. staff that might still be alive after the attack on the makeshift hospital. The SEALS weren't able to stick around and help them, so they continued the mission on their own, and then Gibbs sent some of his people to get them all out of there safely. That was my understanding, anyway.

Oh I got that - what I didn't make clear was really I was asking why the SEALS were there and allowed to engage.

They only really exist in reference to the men. In this case, Jeanne being there allows Tony to get closure for the the fact that he screwed Jeanne over

I want to agree but I can't.  Jeanne is back for Tony's storyline and development, true.  I also agree as has been said above that she's a reminder of what Tony and Gibbs went through in season 4 and how this season is returning to the dynamic but in different way. I thought that was an interesting observation.  Tony once again dealt with Jeanne without Gibbs because Gibbs has his own issues to deal with.  The outcome of that was much better this time, no lies, no broken hearts, and lives were saved.  Jeanne exists because she's part of his story and she returns because of him.  Yet I can't help but like the idea that she did move on without him, which complicates this dependency her storyline has on Tony.  She has a husband who seems like a good guy and who lived.  They've created this life together and they're doing really great work.  She was able to move on in a productive way.   Tony's lie to her in season 5 allowed her to be too angry at him to pine for him so she moved forward.   That allowed Jeanne to live a pretty impressive life that she created on her own and out of her own grief and anger.  I don't know if I *like* Jeanne or what I want to see between her and Tony, but I was really impressed by the life she led after Tony.

Of course if we see her again things might be different now that Tony's not just the guy who lied and betrayed her anymore.   If she does return, it has to be for a reason other than to show us what we've already seen.  For the moment though, I'm impressed by the fact that the show allowed her to be that successful without Tony defining her.  Her work seems to define her.  Just as Tony's work has defined him.  I like that about them.  I'm wondering how or if this changes Tony, since all this is really about him, and what we're going to the relationship he is in now with Zoe.  Lots of anvils were dropping from Stan about settling down, and it feels like something the show has been toying with this season with Tony wanting a sense of belonging.

I loved seeing Stan.  He's such a peripheral character, but I felt like I got to know more about him in this episode than before.  I love when old, familiar characters return, no matter how small their roles.  It give the show a sense of its own history.

• Love 3
Why would they bring back Jeanne?

I think Jeanne is very representative of the type of couples that Gary Glasberg likes.  Take away how Jeanne and Tony met, and you have two people who remind me very much of Ellie/Jake (before their marital drama kicked in), Bert/Abby, and Delilah/McGee.  The significant other of whichever NCIS character you pick has a career orbit of his/her own.  Jeanne's is medicine.  I've read that the actress who plays Zoe is doing a lot of other projects, so if Gary wants to do something relationship-wise with Tony, doesn't want to introduce a whole new character, and isn't sure enough about Marisol Nichols' (Zoe) availability, Jeanne makes all the sense in the world to me.  She has a history with Tony that actually occurred on-screen, and Gary could retcon as needed if he wanted.  I'm not saying it will happen or should happen, but I think one of the reasons Jeanne came back at all was that Gary wanted to give himself a future option to persue if he wants to use it.  Even if there is no romance at all, I like that Tony and Jeanne are now friendly and she no longer hates him.

For the record, I also believe that Ziva wasn't telling Tony to "man up" and he chickened out.  Ziva told him the opposite: to tell Jeanne that there was nothing between them (even though there was) so that Jeanne would no longer agonize over Tony and move on.  Tony took Ziva's advice and we got the scene that ended with the elevator door closing in Tony's face.  Which reminds me: Did TPTB recut or alter that scene in this episode? I could swerar that Jeanne told Tony "I hate you" before the doors closed, but it didn't sound like "I hate you" in the flashback in this episode.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 1

Where in the Jeanne timeline did that scene with Tony burning the letter occur? Before or after she leaves in the elevator? Anyone else remember that scene? They are all at some house, soaking wet, and at the resolution of the case, Tony is by the fire drying off and he reads, then burns, a letter from Jeanne

No.  It was the second episode of season 5.  She accused him of murder the 15th or 16th episode of season 5.

Ah... so Tony had already decided not to pursue the relationship even before Ziva told him to tell her it was all a fake. I never saw the show in order until more recently because I got hooked on it in syndication. It always bugged me that Ziva thought what Jeanne needed to hear was that Tony never cared about her. If I had been Jeanne, I would have wanted to know Tony had genuine feelings. I would have trouble ever trusting men or especially my own judgement after that otherwise. But if Tony had already burned the letter and accepted that the relationship was over and he wanted it that way, then I can see how it might have been kinder to tell her he never cared at all.

Very late to respond but I loved this episode. I had mixed feelings about Jeanne Benoit in the past, though I think she got the classic NCIS bad edit at the end (Hollis Mann got the same). Mostly I loved the way they wrote Tony back in season 4:  extra smart on the job and trying to be a normal guy off the job. They remembered how to write that guy for this episode. Somehow the Jeanne character is just allowed to bring out the best in Tony and he struck all the right notes here. I wouldn't mind seeing Jeanne return and perhaps a romance get rekindled, but the writers made her husband seem too nice for that. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Normally Ducky can do no wrong in my eyes and all I want to do is hear him talk, but not in this episode. He pronounces "posthumous" (twice) just as it is spelled: poast-YOO-mus. Sorry, Ducks. It's "POSS-tchoo-mus." And you should be ashamed of yourself. Unless perhaps you were erroneously directed to pronounce it so for illiterate Amurricans.

Edited by Sulador