Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Please Help Me I'm Fallin'

Will's self-loathing has now driven Kevin away, I guess.  Of course!  Will is not allowed to be happy!  Because he is gay!  I get it, Nashville.

To be fair, no one is allowed to be happy on this show. Is there currently a single functional relationship? This has been ticking me off for some time now. The constant breaking up couples wouldn't be necessary if they could just think of decent storylines for once. It also screws with the show's music in some instances which I don't appreciate.

I really like Kevin, but being a fairly regular guy and a voice of reason isn't getting you far on Nashville. Apparently everyone has to be a drama queen to a certain extent or they become disposible. I used to work in the music industry and some things are pretty realistic, but turning the soap factor up to 11 is making it really hard to stay with the show.

• Love 6

Beverly had a little career and fans, that's cute. Are we done with the sainthood tour now? Because I'm getting tired of Deacon's revisionist history.

Now they'll start the St. Jeff tour. 

Will needs to lighten up.  And go see a therapist.

And a barber.  Oops.  Got Gunnar and Will confusaled.  Gunner needs a therapist and barber.  Will needs to lighten up and a therapist.  Maybe they can work a group rate with the rest of the cast...

Jeff falling off the roof was as hilarious as Dr. Drake Ramoray falling down an elevator shaft.

<snip>

Ugh, the martyrization of Beverly continues. Now she has been singing at some bar every week for four years and she was sending out demos and headshots. Whatever.

<snip>

I don't know why Colt was being so cranky to Luke at the party. Yeah, yeah, you can't hang out with your girlfriend but that's not Luke's fault. Even if Luke hadn't taken Colt to the party, Colt still wouldn't have been able to hang out with Maddie or even talk to her since Rayna took away her phone. But there was no need for him to pout about it and then get drunk.

Ha!  Dr. Drake Ramorey!  Good times!

And Beverly was singing at the old folks home, caring for orphans and volunteering at the animal shelter.

Any teenage boy who just got laid for the first time would be mopey to have his girlfriend sent home, but I thought Maddie was only supposed to be in Atlanta for the concert and not the whole time they were going to be there?  I am sure this is just the start of Colt's alcohol abuse.  Writers have shown amazing constraint in not having him be a musician too so they can recreate Deacon & Rayna - The Early Years Redeux.

And Marcass continous to be a one note character who is taking up a lot of time.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 4

I liked what Oliver Hudson brought to the show with Jeff. And thanks show, now you've made me feel sorry for Layla. Great.

Why would everyone assume Jeff killed himself? Seriously? He was the happiest guy in the room a minute ago.

Tired of everyone's angst. I wish the Beverly story ended with the song Scarlet sang. Beverly bar made me barf.

Gunner is a stalker. Will is a crybaby. Maddie is a brat. Markus is all of those things Rayna called him.

Juliette. I am so done with this story. I just can't watch. Wake me up when they get back to music.

• Love 5

I like the idea of the bar, but so hate that he wants to name it Beverly. WTF??? Next he'll be getting a dog and naming her/him Beverly too. And did I miss the part where Deacon talked with Frankie about the trouble he was having running the bar and how 'bout Deacon buying in?

I'm actually happy to see Oliver leave. Scream Queens is campy and fun and Nashville never seemed to be able to figure out a way to use him as a villain other than the mustache twirling kind. Makes me shudder some of the things they had him do.

I still don't understand why they kept Luke as a character after Rayna dropped him.  No one cares at all about him anymore, do they?  Don't care about St Bev or Gunnar and random chick either.

I will say I was shocked at the ending.  I yelled a curse at the tv, so unexpected.  But the best thing on this show is still Juliette and Avery.  No one cries like Jonathan Jackson.  You keep him miserable and he's at his best.

• Love 4

Another gloomy episode. So tired of seeing Juliette popping pills and swigging booze and looking terrible. How much more can she take? Her survival instincts are still intact though, judging by the next promo, when she lies through her teeth. Glad this Saint Beverley story is over, although I'm hoping the owner refuses Deacon's awful request to rename his bar The Beverley!

All the rest was dull, dull, dull and why Rayna would put up with a prick like Marcus is beyond me. Not looking forward to this Maddie fearing Deacon storyline - hope they resolve it quickly.

My main reaction throughout this show was, "Wait, was I supposed to actually care about Beverly?!"

Everything about Juliette's story was contrived bullshit. The idea that after her public meltdown everyone would just leave her alone in her room full of booze for an entire day and never check on her. The concept that they could get that fan to issue that insane "I stalked her" lie within a few hours and that it would just solve everything. That 100lb Juliette could do a full Judy Garland/Keith Richards cocktail and somehow not OD. That Jeff would just quietly follow her to the roof after seeing her drunkenly weave her way through a public space. All of it. Pure. Contrived. Bullshit.

By the way Colt, when you see someone teetering on the edge of a roof, maybe dial up 911. Or at least call the front desk to let them know that valet parking is about to get messy.

And of course there's Deacon buying a bar and naming it in honor of his sister who died. Because she donated a part of her liver. To Deacon. Who needed a liver in the first place because he's a freaking alcoholic!!

Argh. This show.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 17

Her survival instincts are still intact though, judging by the next promo, when she lies through her teeth.

I don't think she's so much lying through her teeth as she was just so messed up she has zero recollection of it even happening. She probably really thinks she just passed out in her room.

Sid Vicious comes to mind.

Edited by airwair
  • Love 1

My big question was Am I supposed to care about the Luke Wheeler Experience brand?

Was Deacon looking to invest in the bar in Nashville, or in the Landslide itself? It wasn't clear to me.

But I just thought of a way for Juliette to turn the whole Jeff situation around: we already know she likes to use work to distract herself from her personal problems, so she could release a new song from the Patsy Cline soundtrack album that ties in perfectly -- "I Fall To PIeces." Maybe have a cover of "It's Raining Men" as a bonus track. (Too soon?)

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 13

I'm going to miss Oliver Hudson and his smirk face.

So much this.  At least he provided some comic relief, trading insults and "Shut up, Jeff" retorts with just about everyone.  Who is going to be the bad boy we love to hate now?!

• Love 6

I can't for the life of me understand why the producers and writers are doing a post partum depression storyline without ever saying the words. What the heck? They keep saying "she's sick." And frankly Avery if you think she is sick then go there and commit her on a 72 hour hold or something. He is her husband.

As the mom of a teenager I think Maddie's brattiness is right on target. Yes, it's annoying but if she was a perfect angel child she would not be a teenager. And I get why she is frustrated - sometimes Rayna thinks it's just fine to perform and sometimes it's not. She isn't getting the distinction of why.

• Love 6

I guess I'm in the minority but I'm glad Jeff is gone.  I could never get behind him sleeping with a 19 year old.  That was always just gross.  I yelped and giggled when he went over the edge.  

And I thought Juliet took all her pills?  And then snorted some?  How is she still alive? 

Oh my GAWD, the writing on this show is so atrocious I can't stand it.  So the entire seasonal arc for Deacon will be his guilt about his sister so we have to have a progressively more saintly Beverly every episode?  It's rage making to me.  Does a different writer write each one?  Because no one can seem to remember anything that happened previously.  "The Beverly" - ARGH.  LOL on The Coleman.  Or how about The (homeless dude signing in the alley behind Scarlett's) or The Peggy, or even The Lamar, since everyone is now a saint after they've passed on.  

• Love 7

Dropping in here to say I think I may be done with this show.  The gloom and doom is incessant.  Literally, no storyline on this show is enjoyable right now; I repeatedly fast-forward through whole scenes.  Soap operas have to have something happy, mysterious or at-least interesting to balance out the doom.  Layla and Jeff were the closest thing resembling happiness and it was icky.  I can't count Gunnar and his ONS.   Add to all of the on-screen unhappiness, HP's real-life,  and it's  made this show a slog for me.  It was supposed to be a fun and enjoyable little show.  There are plenty of other depressing - much better produced and written --  tv shows on air.  Connie's hair can't keep me coming back at this point.

• Love 5

WARNING to the evil villains on Nashville: if you suddenly start becoming nicer and things start going your way, it's because the writers are about to kill you off. First Beverly, now Jeff.

But here's the problem: every show like this needs an irredeemably evil villain whom the audience can boo and hiss, and who acts as a nemesis for our heroes. But nobody's left who can play that role. The only irredeemably evil character right now is Markus, and he's too new and frankly too childish to fulfill that role. He's like a two-year-old with his temper tantrums. It's hard to take him seriously.

• Love 3

As the mom of a teenager I think Maddie's brattiness is right on target. Yes, it's annoying but if she was a perfect angel child she would not be a teenager. And I get why she is frustrated - sometimes Rayna thinks it's just fine to perform and sometimes it's not. She isn't getting the distinction of why.

I know several girls Maddie's age and while they all have their moments, none of them acts like Maddie does on such a consistent basis. And each of them is far more capable of empathy and compassion than Maddie seems to be able to achieve. Frankly I know kids under 10 capable of greater understanding.

I don't understand the writers' problem here. They have two perfect examples of real teens/tweens in Lennon and Maisy, why not use them?

• Love 4

I was just thinking how many near suicides have we had on this show now? Juliette, Layla in the pool at Jeff's party, Will on the railroad tracks, and Pig Blood Peggy after Teddy broke up with her. Am I missing any? That seems like a lot for five seasons. 

I was just thinking how many near suicides have we had on this show now? Juliette, Layla in the pool at Jeff's party, Will on the railroad tracks, and Pig Blood Peggy after Teddy broke up with her. Am I missing any? That seems like a lot for five seasons.

Heh, even worse for your numbers, it's only been three seasons + 6 episodes of the fourth (which is what we're on right now).

Juliette's was NOOOT a suicide attempt.  Just ask her. ;-). 

Edited by TVWithPity
  • Love 1

I know several girls Maddie's age and while they all have their moments, none of them acts like Maddie does on such a consistent basis. And each of them is far more capable of empathy and compassion than Maddie seems to be able to achieve. Frankly I know kids under 10 capable of greater understanding.

I don't understand the writers' problem here. They have two perfect examples of real teens/tweens in Lennon and Maisy, why not use them?

I totally agree. I've worked with teens, helped raise teens, mentored teens, know teens now. I've never known anyone like Maddie. Either they're a little crabby and mouthy, but basically loving kids, or they shave their heads, do drugs, and sleep around...and are basically loving kids. This complete lack of compassion for anyone and an inability to empathize with even the most extreme distress in another person is completely foreign to me. It's a type of teenager I've only ever seen on TV.

The fact that Lennon Stella is right there and clearly not like that at all should say something too. She seems much more normal to me than Maddie does. Then again, maybe I just don't hang out with enough asshole kids.

• Love 3

I totally agree. I've worked with teens, helped raise teens, mentored teens, know teens now. I've never known anyone like Maddie. Either they're a little crabby and mouthy, but basically loving kids, or they shave their heads, do drugs, and sleep around...and are basically loving kids. This complete lack of compassion for anyone and an inability to empathize with even the most extreme distress in another person is completely foreign to me. It's a type of teenager I've only ever seen on TV.

The fact that Lennon Stella is right there and clearly not like that at all should say something too. She seems much more normal to me than Maddie does. Then again, maybe I just don't hang out with enough asshole kids.

I work at a major University and believe me, I've met some asshole kids in my time, but even they were capable of greater empathy than Maddie.

• Love 4

Yeah, it's strange to me that Maddie can't tell when her little sister is hurting. Daphne's behavior has changed remarkably from the scene in the bathroom, she used to be a very happy girl all the time and now her mood is consistently sad. I get that Maddie is a teen but even in my bratty teenager days, I could tell when someone was in pain. 

• Love 2

Yeah, it's strange to me that Maddie can't tell when her little sister is hurting. Daphne's behavior has changed remarkably from the scene in the bathroom, she used to be a very happy girl all the time and now her mood is consistently sad. I get that Maddie is a teen but even in my bratty teenager days, I could tell when someone was in pain. 

They've always shown the sisters being close, so I can't understand why Maddie is suddenly totally oblivious to how Daphne's been feeling.  And, that Maddie is totally unconcerned when it's pointed out to her that Daphne is hurting.  It's all ME, ME, ME with Maddie now.  Falling in love with Colt seems to have turned Maddie into a dick.

• Love 5

Yeah, it's not exactly the brattiness that bothers me about Maddie now, it's her utter self-involvement. It wasn't long ago that Daphne was swearing that their dad was innocent and having crying fits, now she doesn't even want to sing. The music has always been something that they shared. That more than anything should've set off something in Maddie.

• Love 5

Seriously. She didn't even encourage her sister - not even an "oh come on, sing with me!"

For sure.   

I can understand Maddie being totally self involved, I've known teens and even adults to be as such-- but she would have noticed her sister was going through some shit.  They've always been close--they could tone Maddie down and still make her a sympathetic sister, I think.  Why does it have to be all or nothing?  Complete dick or nice person?  Oh, wait, if you are nice and happy you get killed off.  Never mind.

• Love 2

For a flip side, I couldn't figure out what Daphne was being all pouty about until Rayna asked her and then I was all, "oh the mean girl bathroom thing, right." I had totally forgotten about it.

• Love 2

WARNING to the evil villains on Nashville: if you suddenly start becoming nicer and things start going your way, it's because the writers are about to kill you off. First Beverly, now Jeff.

But here's the problem: every show like this needs an irredeemably evil villain whom the audience can boo and hiss, and who acts as a nemesis for our heroes. But nobody's left who can play that role. The only irredeemably evil character right now is Markus, and he's too new and frankly too childish to fulfill that role. He's like a two-year-old with his temper tantrums. It's hard to take him seriously.

I actually really liked fleshing Jeff out into a character who has something  - someone - to lose and to deal with how Layla is changing him for the worse (abuse) and the better (falling in love)

• Love 4

For a flip side, I couldn't figure out what Daphne was being all pouty about until Rayna asked her and then I was all, "oh the mean girl bathroom thing, right." I had totally forgotten about it.

I hadn't forgotten about it, but I thought maybe she had. I wonder if she'll stop singing now that Maddie's so eager to sing without her? Would hate to lose Maisy's little bit of soul from the show.

Those girls are four or five years apart in age too. It's weird to me that Maddie sees her sister as a peer and rival. I know lots of people who have much younger siblings, and it's always, "yes so-and-so little sibling was a bit annoying, but she was a little kid so I played with her like she was very little and didn't fight with her because who pushes around someone so much smaller??" My friend's ten year old son even lets his four year old sister paint his nails, and he runs to her when she cries. She's a baby to him, not a peer. So I'm baffled.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

When I was talking about Maddie being a brat it was about her attitude with Rayna and being grounded and performing. I agree that her nonchalance about Daphne goes further and doesn't make a lot of sense. I mean what did Daphne do to her?

I know I will burn in hell for this, but I was really hoping that Jeff was only running up to the ledge just to see Juliette go splat on the ground. Then maybe he would comment with something pithy like "oh, that's a shame." And then he would walk back to the bar to continue celebrating his recent run of success.

At the very least, they could have had Jeff, as he goes over the ledge, shout out "I regret nothiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!"

• Love 10

But here's the problem: every show like this needs an irredeemably evil villain whom the audience can boo and hiss, and who acts as a nemesis for our heroes. But nobody's left who can play that role.

Exactly. Jeff was smarmy, evil and delicious, all at the same time. Nice to look at, too. Juliette used to kind of be a villain, too, when interacting with Rayna. The only person left to even be somewhat of an antagonist is Luke, and they had just turned him into a fairly good guy.  And I see him bringing nothing to the canvas.

I was really, really looking forward to Avery and Juliette and cutie baby times. Lots of playing, lots of songs, lots of happy. This has been awful, even for a "drama." Couple that with the real-life similarities makes it icky.  I felt dirty watching last night - like I was spying on Hayden's personal pain.   What about Rayna and Deacon frolicking in the meadow, writing amazing songs, and relishing their new-found relationship? We got to see what - one, maybe two episodes of happy times?

Need a mix of happy and dramatic, good guys and bad guys, and MUSIC. It seems lately we only hear bits and pieces of songs. One of my faves was "Everything I Ever Need" - great Juliette and Avery, and a happy, fun song.

We need to get Colgate to sponsor this show. Maybe if a toothpaste brand picked up the tab, we'd see TEETH and SMILES.  One can hope. Still enjoying it, but will really miss Jeff.

• Love 8

Still enjoying it, but will really miss Jeff.

Who knew that THIS will be the last straw for me. I actually was mainly watching for the Jeff/Layla scenes in the past episode. Hoping for so much Rayna grappling with Jeff to come.

You don't kill off everyone's favorite antagonist when he was the only one who really worked, who had great scenes with Rayna and Juliette and whom they had fleshed out and moved beyond the smarmy record exec. Also, I really liked Layla and grieving for Jeff is not going to be a good thing for character development.

This was just stupid. Hudson wants off? Oh come on, he won't be too good now to play a couple of scenes every couple of episodes. Let Layla talk to him on the phone. Let them fight, break up, him going to L.A. anything but killing one of the characters who really made the show work off to be substituted by another bunch of random filling characters that nobody wants.

• Love 5

This was just stupid. Hudson wants off? Oh come on, he won't be too good now to play a couple of scenes every couple of episodes. Let Layla talk to him on the phone. Let them fight, break up, him going to L.A. anything but killing one of the characters who really made the show work off to be substituted by another bunch of random filling characters that nobody wants.

Hudson is on Scream Queens now. Nashville was lucky to get him at all for an exit storyline, though I agree that killing him off was a bit extreme. Just have him vanish into whatever hole Brent disappeared into. I guess they wanted the drama that came from a ridiculous death. Gives Layla something to do for a little while for sure.

• Love 2
Why was Colt set up to be a witness?

To prevent slapping a murder rap on Juliette?  I don't know.  Nothing is too bizarre for the direction of this show.  I'm SO disappointed in "Nashville" - last time I felt this way was when "Smash" crashed and burned in just two seasons.  Both shows had/have brilliant premises that showed tons of promise but crummy and unbelievable storylines and characters that put them in the dumpster.  (Interesting that Will Chase was/involved with both shows.)  I want Deacon back.  I want Juliette to be happy for more than five minutes.  I want the show to be about the music again.  I understand teenage attitude and angst but Maddie is just over-the-top.  And I hate that Markus character.  

grieving for Jeff is not going to be a good thing for character development.

Perhaps Jeff will joint Beverly in sainthood.  

Add me to the list of people who miss Teddy.  This is a sad state of affairs.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 2

I know I will burn in hell for this, but I was really hoping that Jeff was only running up to the ledge just to see Juliette go splat on the ground. Then maybe he would comment with something pithy like "oh, that's a shame." And then he would walk back to the bar to continue celebrating his recent run of success.

At the very least, they could have had Jeff, as he goes over the ledge, shout out "I regret nothiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!"

If Juliette had splatted, Jeff would have immediately set up candlelight vigils to take advantage of the public grieving while scrounging through every bit of tape from her previous recording sessions to see if there was anything left to scrape together for a posthumous album.
  • Love 4

So the posters in the Landslide had her name as Beverly O'Connor, but the demo tape showed it as Beverly Claybourne. Do we assume that the demo tape was done before she was married? And do we know anything about Scarlett's father, for that matter?

The show treats Daphne like she's forgettable so it shouldn't be surprising when viewers do too.

• Love 1