Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Seriously?  The mother doesn't like the dress until they add that big ass bow and then everything is perfect? That was just beyond ludicrous.  They really have jumped the shark.

• Love 2

I wanted to let SYTTD fans know that there were 6 brides whose weddings were written up in today's Houston newspaper, and none of the dresses were strapless. Last week's paper featured 4 brides who also wore non-strapless gowns. Maybe the era of the strapless wedding gown is finally passing.

• Love 7

What was the deal with the fugly bow? the dress was not that great, it looked like a $7000 negligee- I think that is why mm said it was boring. But that 1980 Butt Bow? Im shocked this bride said OK to that!

Did anyone notice if she actually wore the bow at the wedding?  I got sidetracked right when they were going to show the wedding but did glance over real quick and I didn't think I saw it. She might've been turned the wrong way (because you know, a gigantic Butt Bow worn to the side is much more stylish and less 80's. I was wondering if she went with it just to appease her Mom and then didn't end up wearing it.

They really have jumped the shark.

I don't follow ratings, but I can't be alone in noticing that TLC keeps trying new shows in certain niches - wedding gowns, large families, little people - as if they're going to need to replace the originals with something similar. I watched 1 1/2 episodes of Curvy Bride before deciding that I just couldn't force myself to sit through more, while the SYTTD Atlanta show raced the Kleinfeld's version to see which could jump the shark first. It seems that SYTTD has limited the number of "plots" and "characters" from the broader range it had in its heyday. This is not an improvement.

• Love 3

Did anyone notice if she actually wore the bow at the wedding?  I got sidetracked right when they were going to show the wedding but did glance over real quick and I didn't think I saw it. She might've been turned the wrong way (because you know, a gigantic Butt Bow worn to the side is much more stylish and less 80's. I was wondering if she went with it just to appease her Mom and then didn't end up wearing it.

I did not see that bow in the wedding footage.  Due to its very large size, surely it would have been visible even if it was placed on the dress on the other side of the camera angle.  So it looks like the bride came to her senses and left the hideous bow off.  Its beyond me how anyone could think that bow was pretty and made the dress better.

• Love 1

I did not see that bow in the wedding footage.  Due to its very large size, surely it would have been visible even if it was placed on the dress on the other side of the camera angle.  So it looks like the bride came to her senses and left the hideous bow off.  Its beyond me how anyone could think that bow was pretty and made the dress better.

Glad to hear that!  Yeah I truly didn't understand how anyone (never-mind a designer) thought that improved the dress at all. Honestly I thought it was a joke at first. It took me a minute to realize they were serious.

The wedding footage was for one of the OTHER girls - the one who was marrying the NASCAR guy. I know they looked alike and the dresses looked near identical, so I had to rewind to make sure, but it was a different person than butt bow girl. The names were different, and the fathers were different. Sorry to bust y'all's bubble about the butt bow (which is going to be hideous, but then again it IS Pnina...)

As for next week, according to my DVR, it's supposed to be even more of a Pnina-fest. I'm not sure I can handle that, but then again, I'm not sure it will be different than any other week on this show lately.

• Love 2

Ahh thank you ArticWolfRS. I was barely paying attention on that part so I wasn't too sure. Darn - was really hoping the bride decided to opt out of the butt bow. I know fashions cycle and all that but I can't believe the butt bow would come back at all. Ick. I was surprised they even had one there all ready to go for the fitting.

But then I realized it was the other skinny blond with the boring overpriced dress!

Yes, they do tend to all look (and act) alike.  My viewing life will take a turn for the better if we ever see anything with sleeves and without an exploding bottom.

• Love 2

Bunch of entitled famewhores. Who wants to marry a woman who is all about what a spoiled princess she is and she always gets her way? Enough, SYTTD. We have seen enough of these people.

(edited)

Have none of these brides ever watched this show before?  They drag eleventy-seven people to all give different opinions and then whine about how hard it is because not everyone agrees with her.  What did you think would happen?  That's been the recurring theme since the first idiot brought a ginormous entourage for the filming.

In my day it was the mother and MAYBE  the maid of honor or sister.  Wedding dress shopping should be a nice memory, not a film clip with everyone chewing the scenery to make the most of their 15 minutes of fame.

And that hideous, slutty Pnina costume.  There are no words.  Save it for the wedding night.  I sure as hell don't want to see it.

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 7

I wonder what some of these brides think when these episodes air and they have a viewing party, which I assume they do since they brought "eleventy-seven" (love that term) people with them and they are probably all watching.  Unless they are totally clueless, most of them must be a little embarrassed if they were one of the entitled princess brides. 

• Love 2
Unless they are totally clueless, most of them must be a little embarrassed if they were one of the entitled princess brides.

Sadly, since they are just fame whores (as are the members of the entourage) I don't think any of them will have the self awareness to see themselves realistically.

I do think that for the few whose marriages last that long, looking at those hideous dresses will cause a forehead slap and a hearty "what the heck was I thinking"!  Those idiots who ask for "classic" and end up with that terrible mermaid with an exploding bottom obviously have no concept of what constitutes classic.  Princess Grace?  Classic.  Kate Middleton?  Classic.  Elizabeth Taylor in Father of the Bride?  Classic.  Pnina? HELL no!

• Love 2

Re the butt bow:

I think that was the mother's not-so-subtle passive-aggressive effort to sabotage her husband using the daughter. The mother was appalled at how much her husband was willing to spend, and found fault with every dress. She only agreed when the ugly bow was added.

Love to know that family's backstory.

• Love 3

I wanted to let SYTTD fans know that there were 6 brides whose weddings were written up in today's Houston newspaper, and none of the dresses were strapless. Last week's paper featured 4 brides who also wore non-strapless gowns. Maybe the era of the strapless wedding gown is finally passing.

Update - 4 brides in today's paper. None wore strapless gowns. Yay!!

• Love 2

$5000 over the budget to wear a pc of lingerie corset down the aisle. OMG - she wanted to show her ASS though. HA

The bride's name was pronounced "Yquasia," although I'm certain my spelling is completely off. To her credit & in spite of the "I want to show off my ASSets" comment, she actually chose some perfectly reasonable, within budget gowns. It was her own mother who talked her into that sheer-corset-with-a-skirt Pnina monstrosity. I just kept thinking: "Your daughter already has the man, you don't need to whore her out on her wedding day." Also, a big *side-eye at the supposedly fashionable gay bff. I expected better from him.

• Love 2

Have none of these brides ever watched this show before?  They drag eleventy-seven people to all give different opinions and then whine about how hard it is because not everyone agrees with her.  What did you think would happen?  That's been the recurring theme since the first idiot brought a ginormous entourage for the filming.

In my day it was the mother and MAYBE  the maid of honor or sister.  Wedding dress shopping should be a nice memory, not a film clip with everyone chewing the scenery to make the most of their 15 minutes of fame.

And that hideous, slutty Pnina costume.  There are no words.  Save it for the wedding night.  I sure as hell don't want to see it.

Hence the reason I bought my wedding dress off of eBay with NO entourage. No one even saw it until after it was altered and ready to go. My mother-in-law was pretty upset at the time, but I was soooo sick of every wedding decision getting "weighed in on" by "eleventy-seven" (love the term!) people. At the time I picked it out I remember thinking "you [family] have already talked me into changing my venue, decor, colors, favors, and guest list - the dress is my choice, dammit!"  We all survived.

And yeah, I cannot even imagine walking down the aisle half (or more) naked in some of those Pnina dresses. Yuck. What entourage tries to talk someone INTO that?  If I were there and the bride obviously loved it I'd try to be quiet, but if she wasn't sure I'd be trying to talk her out of it.

• Love 4

I'm a little confused by the term "entourage" in this context. Does it have a meaning other than second-tier people orbiting someone of importance? Is there some way of saying that about friends and family who set aside a day (and in some cases a trip to New York) to watch you try on dresses on 23rd Street that isn't rude or insulting?

Bunch of entitled famewhores. Who wants to marry a woman who is all about what a spoiled princess she is and she always gets her way? Enough, SYTTD. We have seen enough of these people.

Just coming here to say the exact same thing! I am so sick of the princess brides and daddies' girls who have to obliterate their generous $5000 budget or whatever and add more BLING AND MORE POUF. They have to customized it because it it makes it so special! Yuck.  Seriously, these women are going to be married and they can't stick to a wedding dress budget?

• Love 1

I'm a little confused by the term "entourage" in this context. Does it have a meaning other than second-tier people orbiting someone of importance? Is there some way of saying that about friends and family who set aside a day (and in some cases a trip to New York) to watch you try on dresses on 23rd Street that isn't rude or insulting?

I don't personally consider it rude or insulting, but I can see where it could come across that way. Just for the heck of it I looked it up in Merriem Webster's dictionary and the first thing that came up was "one's attendants or associates," which I guess is a pretty good definition of the bridal party and Mom/Mom-in-Law. That said, I can't even imagine asking people to take the time or expense to do this in order to watch me try on dresses (plus as I mentioned earlier I was about sick of 'input' by the time I got my dress), so I think it's safe to say I'm really not in the Kleinfeld's demographic - at all.

• Love 4

Last time I took someone shopping with me, I ended up buying a purple jumpsuit. That was decades ago, but I haven't tried on clothes in front of anyone else since.

"Entourage" is a harmless word that's bent with a cultural shift. I'm not ceding it, however. 

• Love 4
(edited)
Seriously, these women are going to be married and they can't stick to a wedding dress budget?

I would love to see a "where are they now" episode in 10 years and see how many of those entitled brats are still married.  Few men of my generation would put up that kind of crap but then I'm old and we were cognizant of the importance of budgets and money in general.  Spending that kind of money on a dress to be worn for a couple of hours simply did not fly.  That money went for an appliance or into the bank for a down payment on a house.  

Was the wedding an important day? Absolutely. Was it the "most important day of my life".  Nope.  These folks seem to think the wedding is such a big damned deal but put no thought or planning into the actual marriage.

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 9

Last time I took someone shopping with me, I ended up buying a purple jumpsuit. That was decades ago, but I haven't tried on clothes in front of anyone else since.

I'm sorry Bella, I couldn't help but laugh a little at this. I don't think I'd take anyone shopping with me either after they talked me into a purple jumpsuit.

• Love 3

Kohola3, agree with you 100%.  This show has been on the air long enough for some of these marriages to have already failed, so maybe it's time for an update on the couples.  If they all make it to their 30th or 40th wedding anniversaries, they will look back and realize that there are many important days in their lives, and an expensive dress worn for a couple of hours is a blip in that time line.  

This show has convinced me to elope. My parents did, and I don't think they regret it.

I bet they don't regret it at all. I am so curious how many people watch this show and go "awwww the bride!" vs. how many people go "holy crap I'm not going through that nonsense!"  Of course there's a huge middle ground, but this show just gets so extreme sometimes.

(edited)

*************OMG!!!!*******************

Somebody out there heard us! Today's episode of "Inside Edition" is "See-Through Wedding Dresses" S26/Ep176 a report on the trend of sheer & see-through wedding dresses."

The teaser clip had a woman saying "It looks like something you would see at a strip club."

This is gonna be good.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 3

Ok, I watched it.

***snoozers***

It was the second to last story. It featured somebody from Kleinfeld (of course!) named Terry Hall. Never seen him before. Was Randy booked?!?

The only funny little gem was one bride favorably describing the sheer gowns: "It feels effortless. It feels like your wearing absolutely nothing."

Umm.....well......LOL!!!

• Love 1

I have it set to record - doesn't air here for a couple more hours. "It feels like you're wearing absolutely nothing" though?  haha.  And to think, you probably paid at least 5 grand to walk around naked on your wedding day.

I wonder if any of these husbands-to-be are ever embarrassed by the see-through dresses?  Not that I would have ever even considered one, but I seriously think if I did my husband would've come running down the aisle, thrown his jacket over me, and quietly pulled me aside while saying something along the lines of "babe I know it's been a hectic day but you forgot to put on part of your dress."

• Love 4

<<most important day of your life>>  Was there ever a sadder statement to be made by a 20 something?

I want to know just how many orders are canceled within the 3 day buyer's remorse rule?  I have to suspect the number could be quite high for these ridiculous choices....

And yeah, I'm all for a Where Are They Now for all the spoiled bridezillas

• Love 3

"Curvy Brides" show following SYTTD ( no forum set up for this show): Too much focus on the owners of the salon and their personal lives than on the featured brides.

I am glad to see there is a shop for those of us who are not size 2's though.

• Love 2

The $200K bride -- my only comment is that if Pnina purposely didn't add crystals to the MOB dress because of alternation concerns, why didn't her boutique manager know about it? Fake drama!

Were all the bridesmaids' dresses the same? It didn't seem like it from the brief glimpse we got of them on the racks, but we only saw the one "lost" dress.

I find Yukia and Yuneisia on Curvy Brides very funny and refreshing so am happy to have them hog the show a little bit.

• Love 2
(edited)

The $200K bride -- my only comment is that if Pnina purposely didn't add crystals to the MOB dress because of alternation concerns, why didn't her boutique manager know about it? Fake drama!

Were all the bridesmaids' dresses the same? It didn't seem like it from the brief glimpse we got of them on the racks, but we only saw the one "lost" dress.

I find Yukia and Yuneisia on Curvy Brides very funny and refreshing so am happy to have them hog the show a little bit.

Ok, full disclosure. I was all prepared to hate the $200,000 bride, but she was really nice & so was her entourage! Even when there were problems, they maintained reasonable demeanors. We've seen people go ballistic who were spending far less money. What did her family do in Angola to have that budget?! $15,000 for a bridesmaid's dress? Damn! I was wondering the same thing about whether or not they were different.

One of the $50,000 brides drove me up the wall with that fake Paris-Hilton-style babydoll voice. Are girls still doing that? Actually I think even PH has moved on.

The "Curvy Brides" sisters totally crack me up! I love their sibling dynamic! So far the featured brides have been kinda boring. I dunnno if I'd keep watching the show without the charming hosts.

Oh! And am I just hormonal or was Pnina personable as well?! I still abhor those nekkid-ass-nekkid dresses she designs. But, there was something about the way she said she designs sheer dresses because that's what the brides want----it made me think maybe she gets it & is just trying to get paid.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 1

Wasn't her father a high ranking government official?  Angola derives a lot of income from oil and diamonds.  They also receive some US aid, probably around $75M, so hope that isn't siphoned off by various government people rather than going to the purpose for which it is intended.

• Love 2

OMG, Pnina: "This is the style" when one could see the bride's underwear through the $15K wedding gown. No, no, NO.

One can only imagine how angry the "lesser" VIP bride was to get pawned off on an employee instead of Her Royal Highness Pnina.

And 50K "three dresses in one" bride needs to take a seat. Seriously? She'll wear that dress for five hours at most.

One more thing: Anyone with an unlimited budget isn't going to Pnina at Kleinfeld's. She's going to Armani, Vera Wang, Amsale, Monique Lhullier, Carolina Herrera, or one of at least a hundred other designers who don't think "stripper fairy" is high fashion.

• Love 6

The idea that they would feature Angola bride pissed me off a little. It's a dictatorship, with terrible maternal child death rates, and one of the largest gaps between the haves and have-nots in the world. And we're supposed to be thrilled that she spent $200k of her father's probably ill- gotten gains on her wedding dresses? Ugh. I switched it off.

• Love 6
(edited)

The twins: the hair, the skin, the voices. ?????

Yes, all that, but ... I could not believe the bride lost 55 pounds! Seeing her previous scenes, I would never have said she needed to lose even 10 pounds, and that's taking into consideration that people look bigger on camera.

It was nice to see Dianne again. Despite her preference for high-priced gowns, she's always been one of my favorite consultants because I feel she's very genuine in her concern for the brides.

Uh, about that prom dress special? I honestly thought there had been an editing error and the bride fitting segments were spliced in by mistake. What a mess. I actually liked that show from a few years ago about the two sisters and mother in New Jersey who own a dress shop, but this was not prom shopping.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm watching an episode where a girl's sister is calling a dress hers and she's not even engaged or dating. She's refusing to even let her sister try it on. What an asshole. She's making me glad I only have a brother. 

Edited by Box305
  • Love 1
I'm watching an episode where a girl's sister is calling a dress hers and she's not even engaged or dating.

That whole scenario was so ridiculous. In the first place, with her greedy, selfish attitude, she'll never find a boyfriend. In the second place, if she does get lucky enough to find a guy to put up with that crap, that hideous dress will be so out of style she'll never buy it.

Famewhore.  I bet that whole deal was totally cooked up for the drama.

• Love 1

These twins with the fake bleached blonde hair and fake tans and the 5 tons of make up! You would think being identical and seeing how they really look- they would know it is not a good look! I bet they would look really pretty in normal hair and skin and clothing. And who goes shopping in a sports bra for a top? Of course she bought another $8000 see thru lingerie dress- she wants to be the sexiest bride ever. Excuse me while I throw up!

• Love 7

And didn't bleach blonde bride just get married last year? Having a vow renewal and spending mega-bucks just to celebrate losing weight?????!!! Yup, more TV face time.

• Love 3

I was horrified to see the skanky twins the first time, couldn't believe they were back.  Turned it off the minute those over baked faces came on the screen.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing them 20 years from now, not that they'd be recognizable after multiple plastic surgeries.  Better use the same surgeon if they want to continue to be identical.

• Love 4

And didn't bleach blonde bride just get married last year? Having a vow renewal and spending mega-bucks just to celebrate losing weight?????!!! Yup, more TV face time.

Is she going to renew her vows for every milestone in her life? Lose a few lbs, vow renewal, got pregnant, vow renewal, kid is born vow renewal, kids first bday, vow renewal. She needs to find a hobby asap. I guess finding some old dude with lots of money to marry isn't that entertaining in real life.

• Love 5

For just once, I would like for the bride to be to be told kindly, that not everyone looks good in a strapless gown! lol There are quite a few ladies that all I feel for them is pity.  I know they should wear what they want, but it just doesn't do anything for them.

• Love 7

For just once, I would like for the bride to be to be told kindly, that not everyone looks good in a strapless gown! lol There are quite a few ladies that all I feel for them is pity.  I know they should wear what they want, but it just doesn't do anything for them.

Shouldn't the consultants be the ones telling them this? I get it I'm asking a lot from basically salespeople. 

• Love 1