Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Josh's Girlfriend Is Really Cool!

Rebecca becomes obsessed with Josh's girlfriend, a gorgeous yoga instructor named Valencia, and tries to learn everything about her, even to the point of attempting to learn yoga and trying to get into the local nightclub where Josh and Valencia go.

I'm really loving the show and it reminds me of an old MTV show called Just Say Julie with comedian Julie Brown (not to be confused with Downtown Julie Brown the VeeJay), especially in some of the songs. I love the feminist AND humorous takes on gender politics, debunking stereotypes about female cattiness and the trendy "girl crush". Plus any show that can sneak in rants about people who confuse the plural and the possessive is aces in my book. It's just my type of weird and I can't wait to see what future episodes hold. 

Awesome opening credits too. 

• Love 8

Far worse than the first episode.

I mostly only liked the songs. 

Rebecca really, really irritated me, esp how she treated Paula. I am glad that she's super competent, though I'm not seeing that aspect as an entertainment source.

Josh seems useless.

I didn't enjoy that Taylor Swift dig.

I do like Greg for the most part, though that bro-y convo was...offputting.

Hmm. The only other network show I have interest in is Jane, but it seems to be continuing its streak of lower quality since March. I feel like having at least one thing to watch weekly instead of bailing on them both...

• Love 2

I definitely cringed hard at how out of control spiralling / awkward Rebecca was, but it was still really funny a lot of times.  The songs were funny and even had really weird, funny specifics ("I'm not afraid of clowns and trains", followed immediately by Rebecca's WTF face).  That said, bold and unsettling and probably unpopular choice to end the episode on the crazy eyes and the scarily confident "we'll see about that."

Spider's* must be the world's quietest club if the grocery guy could have a non-shouting conversation with Rebecca and Greg could hear it from 8 feet away.

* I guess if the owner is Mr Spiders it should be " Spiders' ", but the sign outside had it the other way

Also, it was awkwardly funny how the poor actress who plays Mrs Hernandez was clearly not allowed to talk. (I very vaguely understand giving her even a few lines would have bumped up her pay? Maybe?)

Edited by arc
  • Love 4

I'm still really liking it. Yes, many of the characters are already unlikable, yet I still find them to be very relatable, which is what matters to me. The whole nightmare scenario of running into an ex you still have feelings for while you're looking like a total shlub and their new partner seems near perfect, and you're trying to be mature and casual and inside you are DYING, ugh. Valencia could have been played as just a superficial bitch, but instead she's vulnerable and has her own insecurities. Dream Man Josh is decent enough but maybe a little weak and maybe a little manipulative. Rebecca may be genuinely mentally unstable, but personally I don't think it's played for laughs, but instead as someone who's in genuine pain but who's trying (and failing) to grow and keep it together. I think the characters are already given a lot of nuance that's balanced with some pretty sharp humour and some really catchy songs.

• Love 10

I loved the spelling lesson. What show has managed to have a running joke about plural vs possessive? Awesome.

I was really disturbed by Rebecca's behavior. She's a psycho stalker, and mean to people who are nice to her. She was totally losing her identity in an effort to imitate Valencia, and her fixation on Josh is past the point of amusing and into seriously creepy territory.

This makes her office friend seem pretty awful, too, actually. She's marginally more sane, but only marginally.

I think the actress playing the non-speaking part also played a non-speaking role on Orange is the New Black. Not sure if it's a real thing that she stutters, or if she's just been getting similar jobs.

Josh seems like not much of a catch.

Greg, too-- his dude friends seemed kind of gross, and then his ability to see how crazy Rebecca is, and how much she's not interested in him, yet he still pursues her-- it makes him seem kind of gross, too, in that he's into her dysfunction, maybe because he feels like it makes her seem like she needs rescue, and that makes him feel smart and together? Or maybe he just has super-low self-esteem, but either way, his "sympathetic" act actually made him seem creepy.

"Luna Bars are for women. They have menstrual blood in them."

Valencia was an interesting character in that she seemed really bitchy and gross at first, but she wasn't all bad. I like that this show has the guts to make pretty much everyone a mix, so you can't fully like or hate any of them. But it does make watching into an emotional roller coaster.

I like that Rebecca is super good at her job.

I agree about the feminism. It's really interesting to me that they wedge it into a show where you really wouldn't expect to see it, but they write it as though it's obvious and non-controversial, not as though they think they need to sell it to the audience. That is brilliant and awesome, in my book.

I wanted to hear why not to do the 20 minute oil pulling. That's one of those "health practices" that people talk about, which is hard to take seriously but people will swear by it and it's probably not harmful-- but they faded out before we got to hear Valencia's full explication.

Haaaated Greg making the crack about "bras are in aisle 1"-- he's not as nice of a guy as he thinks he is.

On the other hand, loooooved that the actress was willing to go on camera braless and not "done up"-- love that they are so far consistent in exposing the "laboriously beautiful" vs "natural state" of womanhood.

• Love 3

I didn't like this one much. I don't know if it's because I was spoiled or my expectations were too high. I just didn't find myself smiling like last week.

Did not like. Rebecca lost her likeability.  Though the songs made me laugh I guess I didn't like the way they sort of tore Valencia down.  Valencia wasn't mean to Rebecca and what thanks did she get?   Also, from my point of view... it was easy to see Rebecca crushing over Josh when she doesn't see or talk to him but as he is in the show more, and a douche, it makes you wonder about Rebeccas inability to see that.

• Love 2

The conversation Rebecca had with Valencia after the yoga class had me physically cringing and squirming. And as the episode progressed, Rebecca got lamer and lamer in her blindness to her own behavior.

Also, now that I know Greg was the voice of Hans in Frozen, I can't unhear it. And yet I still like him. Even if he's a bit of a dick (eg his "bras in aisle 1" line)

Santino Fontana is a genuinely great actor whom I admire enormously, and a terrific singer, but I'm starting to think that he's miscast as Greg, as the character is conceived. Greg seems intended to be an ordinary bro-ish sort of dude (who just occasionally surprises us with a moment of perception). But Santino is inherently thoughtful and sensitive, and those are just about the hardest qualities for an actor to erase (I'm not the first to say this, of course). When he has his horndog conversation with Josh (even if he deflates it later), or makes a crass remark about bras, or evidently spends his life hanging out with all these doofy fratboys... it just seems wrong and incongruous. Someone like (just sticking to Broadway singing-actors who do TV) Matthew Morrison or Aaron Tveit might have had more appropriate vibes.

On the other hand, I would have made the same mistake (if it's a mistake): as a rule you go with the best talent you can get.

I didn't like this one as much as the first one, either.  I particularly didn't like Valencia's song (although, a couple lines were funny).  I liked it, just not as much.  I still see glimmers of greatness, though.  The humor is totally my kind of humor.  The "aside" jokes just tossed out there.  I do that all the time and a lot of people don't "get" it. 

I actually like that none of these characters are really all that likeable.  That at least makes Rebecca not as bad by comparison.  As for who said that Valencia wasn't mean to Rebecca- yes that is mostly true but Valencia did call her homeless at first so she was being very judgmental.  I did like that after that one quip she wasn't the stereotypical self-centered person, though.  She was talking about herself, but that's because Rebecca was pumping her for information.  I kind of felt bad for her when she said she didn't have many girl friends.  Although, she does seem a little scary.  Josh was petrified of her getting angry!

I hope the next episode is more like the first one.

On my "bad" days, I totally look just like Rebecca did at the supermarket--except at least I wear a bra.

I didn't like this one as much as the pilot, but I'll stick with the show.  I agree that Rebecca is veering into not-likeable crazy territory though.

I cringed at the nightclub scene when she was kissing Valencia.  However, I thought Rebecca was hotter in her dress than Valencia was in hers.

Santino Fontana is a genuinely great actor whom I admire enormously, and a terrific singer, but I'm starting to think that he's miscast as Greg, as the character is conceived. Greg seems intended to be an ordinary bro-ish sort of dude (who just occasionally surprises us with a moment of perception). But Santino is inherently thoughtful and sensitive, and those are just about the hardest qualities for an actor to erase (I'm not the first to say this, of course). When he has his horndog conversation with Josh (even if he deflates it later), or makes a crass remark about bras, or evidently spends his life hanging out with all these doofy fratboys... it just seems wrong and incongruous. Someone like (just sticking to Broadway singing-actors who do TV) Matthew Morrison or Aaron Tveit might have had more appropriate vibes.

On the other hand, I would have made the same mistake (if it's a mistake): as a rule you go with the best talent you can get.

I totally get this. I also think as its only the second episode they might still be trying to figure out a balance. Just like I thought the balance of Rebecca was way too extreme this episode. I'm hoping they course corrected and started writing to Santino's strengths.

I still find him incredibly appealing as Greg though, even with the asshole moments. If he didn't have this added dimension and vulnerability I probably wouldn't enjoy the character at all.

Edited by OptimisticCynic
  • Love 1

But If they had cast a more conventionally handsome guy like Matthew Morrison or Aaron Tveit as Greg, then they wouldn't have needed Josh. Josh is the hot dude bro who will end up being a real jerk. Greg is the nerdy guy who postures a little at dude-broing (the bra crack and the trash talk and fist bump) but is more sensitive underneath (the post-fist bump "men are disgusting" and the stopping things with Rebecca even though he wanted her because she was crying). I agree that it could get creepy and venture into Nice Guy TM territory pretty quick, but I don't think he's there yet. The writers are going to have to be a bit careful with that, but since they seem very up on things, I don't think they'll make that mistake?

I think that the showrunners have said they're interested in exploring all the permutations of a label like "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" so I'm pretty sure it's going to go darker and deeper into mental illness for Rebecca at some point, but likely it's also going to conclude that everyone's a little bit crazy in their own way. I'm down for that.

There's also a very surreal/camp humor element to this show (not different from what Glee often had) where you have to let go of some logic/grounding to just go with the jokes and the humor. If you really start thinking Paula's kids are at home stabbing each other while she's at work, then no...you're not going to like Paula very much probably. There's a cartoonish element they're playing with here that isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I like it a lot and hope the show does well.

• Love 10

In the pilot, Rebecca managed to walk the fine line between sympathetically funny and cringeworthy but in this ep, she barreled right over the line to grating and unrelatable. Her OTT cray-cray and self-centeredness are making her unrootable for me.

This song would have been perfect for this ep:

• Love 1

Definitely didn't enjoy it as much as the pilot, but I'm still sticking with the show and enjoyed this episode for the most part outside of the increase in the stalker vibe and the major embarrassing moments. I definitely think they need to reign in the stalker crazy that Rebecca has going on. I assume that's going to happen, or else I'm definitely a bit confused by the opening sequence (when she says the title is a bit sexist) among other things.

I have basically no issue with how Rebecca bailed on co-worker and friend Paula. Paula is arguably crazier than Rebecca. While Rebecca absolutely needs to reign in her stalker vibe and channel more of her professional confidence into her personal life, she does have a legitimate connection to Josh, they were together over that one summer and she lost her virginity to him. It was ages ago and she needs to get a grip and enter reality, but there is at least actual history. Now, Paula she had a problem with Rebecca trying to become friends with Valencia and doing more things with her instead of just trying to take her down. Paula just met Rebecca and is acting like she owns her as a friend. Last episode, Paula obsessively investigated this virtual stranger until she found out everything she could and tracked her down and exposed her and then befriended her instantly. Paula is nuts. I'm okay with it, but do I honestly care that Rebecca diverted her attention away from her one-week friend Paula? No.

The way Rebecca was dressed at the market was confusing. I get looking that bad to run a quick errand, but she wasn't rushing at all. If you look like that and have wear no bra out, then you rush to make sure you don't run into anyone. You don't slowly meander the aisles and approach your obsession looking a hot ass mess.

I still like Greg a ton. I was surprised that he said the 'bras are in aisle 1" comment, but was not remotely surprised by his choice of friends. He is friends with Josh, so that was already established to me that he had douche friends. Him asking her "how many bras do you have on" made me laugh, but it was also an inappropriate comment I wasn't expecting from him. But, I basically still like him a lot, though I'm surprised he's still seemingly so interested.

My favorite thing about this show is how competent they have made Rebecca in her professional life. It was unexpected, but something I appreciate. I know that part isn't going to change, but I have hopes that they will dial down the crazy (and crazy eyes) and find a better balance between what they are trying to accomplish here.

• Love 4

I cringed at the nightclub scene when she was kissing Valencia.  However, I thought Rebecca was hotter in her dress than Valencia was in hers.

Maybe I am messed up but I thought Rebecca was better looking than Valencia and looked kind of pretty in her supermarket garb.  I didn't notice Greg being kind of a jerk but I did feel like I am not sure why he is still into her. Maybe that will come into play later but after he found out she had not told him about dating Josh in the past I would think that would be his final confirmation that he was being used previously.  I really like that Greg seems to be smarter than the typical West Convina person and I thought that was where they were going with the character as maybe a reason he would like Rebecca. He likes New York, got into management school, but had to stay for his dad who was sick.  He hangs with this Bros but would rather be with more cosmopolitan people.

One scene that really jarred me was when Rebecca and Paula were fighting outside the meeting room with the client. That does NOT jive with competant attorney and it really irked me. Win or not in the case she would be on probation at that firm.

• Love 2

I am really interested in where they take Rebecca`s special brand of crazy. They have hinted that she has legitimate mental health issues (her mom is awful, her dad left her, she is on some form of medication), and I kind of want them to address those issues. It could help explain her fixation on Josh, and make us more sympathetic to her. 

I DVR'd this.

Did I miss anything at the beginning?

This is what I saw.

Rebecca runs into Josh surprisingly at the grocery store.  She did not expect to see him and up until that point Josh had no idea she was in town.  Or did he already know she was in town because she left him the voicemail and he heard it?

Josh spots Rebecca and tries to steer his girlfriend away and pretends he doesn't know Rebecca.

Josh acts not surprised at all to see Rebecca.

Josh intended to get out of the store without speaking to Rebecca at all.  

I thought that this scene was very strange.  I didn't understand any of the reactions.  Is this really how the scene went down?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

She texted him last episode (the pilot) saying she was in town, and he texted back at the end of the pilot that they should indeed get dinner.  (I just checked, and honestly it's not 100% clear that her text from the pilot said she'd moved to West Covina instead of just visiting...)

Other than that, it seemed straightforward enough to me.  Once Valencia saw Greg - who she already knows, as Greg is Josh's friend - talking to Rebecca, then it becomes clear that Rebecca might know Josh's circle and Josh can't plausibly avoid them.

• Love 1

Kind of love Valencia's line, genuinely wondering why Greg is talking to a homeless woman.

I think Greg is a nice guy, and the crack about aisle 1 and also the question about the number of bras is a product of liking Becca and also their weird undefined relationship where they have "shared" a lot with each other (to the point of being 30 seconds from seeing each other naked) but not really "friends".

I think the actress playing the non-speaking part also played a non-speaking role on Orange is the New Black. Not sure if it's a real thing that she stutters, or if she's just been getting similar jobs.

That's Gina Gallego on CEGF. Annie Golden plays the mute in OITNB but in reality she actually has a great singing voice.

Oh, and Valencia said to do the oil pulling for 25 minutes, instead of 20.

Edited by rho

I guess I let go of whatever hangups I had about this show not having threads of reality because I really enjoyed this episode--much more than last week's--and laughed aloud several times. The Luna bar bit was fantastic.

I haven't even watched this episode yet, but it looks like my prediction from last week is already coming true about this show continuing to progress over the line into creepy, nutso, out-there and overdone.  But I'll have to watch it and report back.

I think Rebecca can´t get crazy enough, since that´s what the show is supposed to be about. There are lots of people like that out there of both genders, maybe not this sweet and nice though, but often good at their jobs and smart like Rebecca is and then total lunatics otherwise.

• Love 2

Did I miss anything at the beginning?

This is what I saw.

Rebecca runs into Josh surprisingly at the grocery store.  [...]

OK, I'm rewatching now and I had forgotten, but yes, you did miss some stuff!  First off, the opening credits, which are great, and then there was a bit of social media stalking that first introduced them to Spider's: Paula pulled up Josh's status updates (or signed Rebecca up for push notifcations for them) and found out that was where he'd be going that night. So then the two of them decided to go there, with Rebecca still in heavy denial about why she's doing anything, but they ultimately couldn't schmooze their way in. Rebecca tried slipping the bouncer some money ("[Paula] doesn't know about club culture"), but she gave him $500, which I guess is New York money? The bouncer said it was way too much, drug dealer type money, and said they wouldn't be getting in.  So Rebecca decided to just ditch on the night and go home.  This is where she had a very sad bout of alone time, ultimately leading to her finding out she was out of sleeping pills (?), so that's what she initially went to the store to get.

OK, that really does get you up to where you came in now.

• Love 2

Thanks, no I totally did see all that.

I just thought I missed stuff regarding Josh and Josh's reactions to Rebecca being in town.

I found it so weird that he was not acting surprised or at least decently pleasant in grocery store.  I get that it was about Valencia, I thought it was just the strangest reaction possible.  To me, it still makes no sense (personal reaction).

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I wonder if Josh has suspected for some time that Rebecca has "issues" and that's one of the reasons (the main reason?) he decided to go back home to West Covina.  Maybe he cares for her but knows he cannot have a relationship with her.

I have basically no issue with how Rebecca bailed on co-worker and friend Paula. Paula is arguably crazier than Rebecca. While Rebecca absolutely needs to reign in her stalker vibe and channel more of her professional confidence into her personal life, she does have a legitimate connection to Josh, they were together over that one summer and she lost her virginity to him. It was ages ago and she needs to get a grip and enter reality, but there is at least actual history. Now, Paula she had a problem with Rebecca trying to become friends with Valencia and doing more things with her instead of just trying to take her down. Paula just met Rebecca and is acting like she owns her as a friend. Last episode, Paula obsessively investigated this virtual stranger until she found out everything she could and tracked her down and exposed her and then befriended her instantly. Paula is nuts. I'm okay with it, but do I honestly care that Rebecca diverted her attention away from her one-week friend Paula? No.

I find Paula funny as hell but horrid and rather unsympathetic. She's crazier than Rebecca from her starting point and has moments that easily cross the line into mean and callous. Even if it's being played for laughs, it's still there. I do find her likeable in a small way, though I'm not sure why. She's at least as if not more more stalkerish than Rebecca with considerably less justification and is an insistent, aggressive enabler, which is not something that makes her a good friend in any way, shape or form.

I do think Rebecca's draw to Valencia was genuine, but it started in a bad place and ended in another. 

There's also a very surreal/camp humor element to this show (not different from what Glee often had) where you have to let go of some logic/grounding to just go with the jokes and the humor. If you really start thinking Paula's kids are at home stabbing each other while she's at work, then no...you're not going to like Paula very much probably. There's a cartoonish element they're playing with here that isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I like it a lot and hope the show does well.

I love the feminist AND humorous takes on gender politics, debunking stereotypes about female cattiness and the trendy "girl crush". Plus any show that can sneak in rants about people who confuse the plural and the possessive is aces in my book. It's just my type of weird and I can't wait to see what future episodes hold.

I agree with both of you.  

This is in the same vein as UNreal.  It is outrageous, fun, not to be believed or taken seriously.   I love it.  

OK, I finally caught up with this episode (note that I haven't watched tonight's episode yet) and I take back what I said previously.  I actually liked this one more than the pilot, in fact so much more I'm keeping it on my DVR record list.  I laughed several times - The crazy/creepy factor is now looking like it's the schtick of the show, and it's being done in such a campy way that I can suspend all logic and disbelief for the sake of the gag.  That's not easy to do with that much cray-cray but they managed to get me there.  My favorite line of the night was when someone introduced someone to "Mr. Spiders" and Rebecca said, "OK, well that explains it".  It did NOT explain it, in fact it only made what she saw more wrong because in that case it would be Spiders' and not Spider's or Spiders, LOL.  And I don't think that's one she actually SAW, so that's the irony and the joke!   Any show with humor like that is great with me.  Yeah, the fighting outside the conference room was unprofessional but I know how crazy and unprofessional lawyers can be even at work - I'm married to one, LOL.  I loved her "homeless" look - she reminded me of one of Jenna Marbles' looks on YouTube.  I'm hoping I continue to like this show as much as this episode.

Edited by Snarklepuss

Yeah, the fighting outside the conference room was unprofessional but I know how crazy and unprofessional lawyers can be even at work - I'm married to one, LOL.  

Thanks for that report! On rewatching, it also seemed to me like a dig (in passing) at the TV convention that conversations conducted on the other side of a room, or in the next room with an open door and thin partition as separation, are magically inaudible to people just a few feet away. This time it was "uh no, we heard everything," which is how it would be in real life, and it made me laugh.

• Love 5
it was easy to see Rebecca crushing over Josh when she doesn't see or talk to him but as he is in the show more, and a douche, it makes you wonder about Rebeccas inability to see that.

I think Rebecca is still blind to his douchiness because she has feelings for the idealized version of Josh that the 16 year old Rebecca has of him. Her very limited contact with him in the first two episodes has shown us that he's douchey but she is so excited to see him each time that she still hasn't noticed it yet. And to be fair, she's only seen him a total of six times so far and she had really short conversations with him in all those instances (in New York, at the convenience store, at the boba place, at the club, at her office, and then dinner which we only saw a very tiny portion of).

I love the feminism injected in this show so I hope we get more of that. I liked both songs from this episode. The yoga song I enjoyed partly because I love the bigger dance numbers (and I love Alex freaking Wong!) but also because I can totally understand Rebecca projecting all of her insecurities and imagining Valencia as this perfect girl who is everything that she isn't. And I liked the stalker song because it reminded me of something Rayanne's mom said on My So-Called Life about how sometimes girls just fall in love with their female friends and want to be the other girl. Given how obsessive she became about Josh, I'm not surprised that she then became obsessed with Valencia.

Normally I have a huge issue with someone forbidding their boyfriend/girlfriend from being friends with someone but in this case I understand why Valencia told Josh he can't see Rebecca anymore. From her point of view, his ex-girlfriend befriended her and lied to her so she feels very betrayed. I would like to note that Greg mentioned to Rebecca last week that Valencia has a temper and is very jealous, two things that don't bode well for Josh's relationship with her. He seems really afraid to upset her, as seen by sneaking around to see Rebecca and making sure they went somewhere far away so no one he knew would run into them at dinner. On the plus side, at least he apologized to Rebecca for asking her to lie for him.

ITA that running into your crush while you're in your sloppy clothes is one of those ultimate nightmares. Even worse when you realize (1) he's with his girlfriend and (2) she is hot.

I am such a stickler for proper grammar so Rebecca's obsession with knowing if the club is Spiders, Spider's, or Spiders' made me laugh.

I know Paula is not coming off very well right now (she seems way too possessive of Rebecca for someone who's only known her for maybe a week at most), but I totally cracked up when she told her boss that Luna bars are for women and have menstrual blood in them.

I can sense that there are a lot of smart women writing and producing the show and for me that's providing some fresh sources for jokes. Paula's lie to her boss about Luna bars and Rebecca's excuse for missing work in episode three wouldn't appear in a show written and produced by men. 

For me, the musical numbers are the best part of the show. Weirdly the musical fantasy sequences seem the most real to me, especially the yoga song where Valencia both attracts Rebecca and brings out all her many insecurities. So far each episode has had a few jokes that both made me laugh and think "I can't believe they actually went there." This time it was "i can kiss my own hoo-ha. Can you do that?" to be taken one step further with "Butt stuff doesn't hurt at all." 

The show definitely has flaws and needs to do some calibration to find the right setting on the crazy dial for Rebecca. We need better explanation of why Greg would still be into her other than West Covina is small and dull and working in a bar he's already met most of the available women. I'm hoping someone from Jane The Virgin can give these guys a lesson on finding their tone. I'm rooting for it to succeed since there hasn't been a fun musical show since the first two seasons of Glee.

• Love 1