Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: The Accommodations Of Desire

Bay and Daphne navigate their love lives.

Bay thinks she’s ready for a new relationship, but others are dubious of how quickly it is moving. Daphne’s correspondence with Quinn starts to affect her relationship with Mingo. John and Kathryn begin researching new financial opportunities, and Toby and Lily prepare for parenthood.

Title Art: The Accommodations of Desire (1929), by Salvador Dali.

Good call, TVForever. I liked that twist on it because I was seriously annoyed at the idea of 3 guys being into Daphne. 

Also, the woman posing for Bay at the end...she had this look on her face like she's up to something. Is that by chance the ex of Regina's boyfriend? Did somehow track Regina, find her family now living with Regina, and decide to hurt Regina by targeting Bay? 

So what is the ex`s evil plan, exactly? Lurk around the coffee shop until the kid shows up? 

Cannot believe I didn't see the Josh thing coming. Glad it went that way. Three guys falling in love with Daphne is getting even further into Mary Sue territory than usual. 

I`m glad that Daphne stopped texting that guy. I was getting pretty pissed about it. Mingo is a really nice guy, and Daphne was being awful to him, flirting with that other guy. 

Get it Bay! 

• Love 1

I saw the Josh reveal coming only because they were making it so obvious that it looked like he was into Daphne. They needed some kind of twist.

Mingo is coming off a little unrealistically perfect the past few episodes. He and Daphne do have some chemistry at least.

The Toby and Lily subplot was all right. I still think they're making a life-ruining choice, but at least they addressed that via Regina's conversation with Lily and aren't making everything out to be sunshine and roses.

• Love 1

Bad move, there, Travis. Glad Bay told you off.

I think I like Daphne better with every other possibility than with Mingo, and I don't know why. Mingo does seem a like a nice guy, and really into her. Despite that, I'm glad Josh wasn't into her, solely for story reasons at this point. If they had gone there, it would have had to be sooner. And, despite my feelings for the pairing, I am glad she stopped texting the Mexico guy. But with all this good feeling/healthy actions and relationship I am no waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Not enough Toby.

• Love 1

Of course they're having a boy.  I don't really like the actress who plays Lily - I don't read a lot of feeling from her at the best of times, and it keeps me from being very invested in their story. The acceptance she and Toby started to gravitate toward was nice, though. 

Bay's word-portrait of herself says Kennish Vasquez, and it's hanging on the coffeehouse wall. Will's mom could've seen that, if she knew Regina's surname.

Mingo's growing on me, & I'm glad she stopped texting with Quinn.

A rare, but much appreciated Iris sighting!

I'm glad that Travis understood Bay's POV.

Kathryn was so ridiculous at the club, but at the same time so classic for her character. 

I figured out the Josh thing just a few minutes before we saw him try to kiss Mingo.  He just seemed way too excited at how well that "lesson" was going. I was glad he wasn't in love with Daphne because it's just getting way to ridiculous.  But this was the first episode where I really liked Mingo, so I was glad Daphne ended her texting thing with the Mexico guy.

I thought Bay and Toby were just a little to comfortable having that sex conversation....

Bay's word-portrait of herself says Kennish Vasquez, and it's hanging on the coffeehouse wall. Will's mom could've seen that, if she knew Regina's surname.

Oh, thanks, I missed that.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 3

How ludicrous that John and Katherine contemplate any investment when they are supposed to be in such a tight spot and may have to sell the house and can't even sell the car wash yet. 

I was happy for the touch of realism with Daphne actually having to work at a class.  I'm also happy that Bay took off when she knew she was not ready for the casual hookup.  But it looks like she is over that in a jiffy. 

Seems like it is a little too late for Regina's boyfriend to go back on the run what with the scary ex already in town.  She can call the authorities any time now, but there's probably something more convoluted in store for us. 

Did we know that Josh was dating Vilma (or whatever Daph's partner is named)?  I don't even remember knowing that so it was hard to care that they weren't getting along or that he had feelings for someone else.  But glad is that it is not Daphne he's into.

Also, the investment storyline bugged the hell out of me.  It is one thing to invest in an existing company that seems profitable -- i.e., the strip club-- where you can review the books, look at P&Ls etc.  That investment might actually make sense.  But investing in "pas de pole" studios - an untested, unproven idea by a stripper [albeit one with an MBA] that is going to need a ton of start-up capital....What the hell Kathryn, are you an idiot??

• Love 1

Lilly got very big, very quickly. I'm not crazy about this storyline. The actress is OK. I don't see a ton of chemistry between her and Toby and her emoting leaves me a bit indifferent. However, she is better than Nikki. I watch that storyline for Toby. How is it possible that LG continues to look so young?

Garrett is cute, but it does not seem there is a lot is going on. It's too bad they don't have chemistry.

Poor Travis!

Mingo does seem a bit perfect. I hope this relationship lasts long enough so we don't have to watch Daphne get a new love interest.

I was already over the estranged ex-wife storyline that Regina got herself into. Not interested.

• Love 1
Garrett is cute, but it does not seem there is a lot is going on. It's too bad they don't have chemistry.

Yes, and I'm really sad about it. They look fantastic together but there is nothing there.

I'm interested in the ex-wife story simply because its something completely new for this show.

How would ex-wife know that Regina was dating Eric?  and might know where her son was?  That just seems like such a leap.  Made me wonder if she thought Regina found her/checked her out for other reasons, although I can't figure out what that would be.

Also, yes, Lilly went from 3-4 months pregnant to 9 months pregnant pretty fast.

• Love 1

The timeline on this has me all confused. 

Lilly is huge - like six months along? - even though they just found out.

Meanwhile, apparently Bay and the other guys are new and just dating.

But at least a month had to pass by to get from spring break to finals in Daphne's college. 

The timeline hasn't made a lot of sense since Travis' trip to see Emmett when there was supposedly an NFL playoff game which would have been December-January, and back home in KC the roses were blooming.  They don't even try to have a semblance of real time passing.

Bay's non-Emmett men seem too old for her to me -- both Tank and Garrett look a good ten years older than Toby.

Agreed. The guy who plays Garrett is actually only 26, 4 years younger than Lucas Grabeel, but good heavens, he looks quite a bit older.

Edited by heythere
  • Love 1

Did we know that Josh was dating Vilma (or whatever Daph's partner is named)? I don't even remember knowing that so it was hard to care that they weren't getting along or that he had feelings for someone else.

They at least hinted about it around the time Daphne was having problems with the study group. I think Daphne was about to ask him to do something with her when Vilma showed up and she and Josh left together.

I'm glad that Travis understood Bay's POV.

I actually don't think Travis understood Bay's POV. I read it as a love-sick puppy "OMG, I'm so sorry I did something wrong! PLEASE forgive me! I'm so in love with you! Why don't you love me back?!?!?!" I actually got annoyed with him in that scene. Actually, I find myself annoyed with him in most of their scenes together. The only scene that felt real with them was him telling her about his sexual abuse incident. I really don't want them to get together. Keep it platonic. Please.

How ludicrous that John and Katherine contemplate any investment when they are supposed to be in such a tight spot and may have to sell the house and can't even sell the car wash yet. 

THANK YOU! I was wondering if I missed an episode. How do we go from "I can't afford to get my car fixed and have to sell my businesses" to being silent partners and investors? I have tried to come up with many explanations for that one and drawing completely blank. :-/

Mingo does seem a bit perfect. I hope this relationship lasts long enough so we don't have to watch Daphne get a new love interest.

I agree with you about Garrett. In his first scene I did think he was quite attractive but they've made his character so wooden and vapid that he's becoming less attractive. And unfortunately, the actors themselves have no chemistry which makes their scenes even less interesting. I'm missing Emmett. I don't mind that him and Bay broke up because they were growing apart but at least I found him interesting and the sparks between them were believable. Even Ty and Bay had great on-screen chemistry. This guy is just dull dull dull.

Also agree with you about Mingo. A little too perfect there. I'm not sold.

• Love 1

I agree with the criticisms of the Garrett character, and I've been thinking about why they wrote him the way they did. It's kind of boring, and it makes Bay look impulsive and a little shallow in how she chooses partners (which has never been really in her character), but I think the real reason they're doing this is that they wanted to show a "role model" of an "undeniably sexy hunk" who cares about his partner's satisfaction and consent-- to show that consent and caring about female pleasure are not buzzkills for losers. It's a pretty heavy-handed way to do this, but that's the only thing I can think of to explain why they've wedged this character into Bay's story.

Also, I thought they were trying to parallel Travis telling Garrett Bay's secret, with Iris blabbing to Daphne about Interpreter Boy's possible attraction to males. It seemed like they were OK with what Iris did, and I thought that was an attempt to make Bay look overly sensitive, and minimize Travis's mistake. But if that's what they were going for, I didn't like it, because I think there is a big difference between saying: "I'm really not sure this is true, but maybe..." which is what Iris did, and confirming something definitely true, which was told to you in confidence, which is what Travis did. I think they were trying to advance the idea that in the heat of the moment, things get sloppy, and conversations happen where secret-carriers get caught between parties and have an awkward position. But I just think it's a big distance between people you can trust not to get flustered and wind up blabbing your confidences, and people who are all over the place and lack the ability to handle it. I just hate that I never can trust the show to be in Bay's corner, and they always seem to saddle her with "unsympathetic outburst of the week"-- which I think is so unfair.

Basically, I like Bay and don't think she was unreasonable with Travis. I don't think ti makes Travis a bad person, but I think it makes him a bad confidante and he should work on that or own up to it up front, so people can avoid confiding in him.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2

Re: the money to invest.  John told Regina's boyfriend that he had sold an investment to get a bit of cash not enough to get them out of the mess but to carry for a bit or cover some things (tuition?).  Then he said they had to reinvest some quickly because something about real estate.  The guy (cannot remember his name!) told him about the gentleman's club.

Garrett just looks so much older than Bay that it creeps me out a bit.

Lily drives me crazy.  I get you're the female and pregnant but Toby is the father and SHOULD have a few rights (finding out the sex).  For goodness sake after his initial shock he's been there for her and seems to be all in even willing to move out of the country.  Quit treating the guys like crap in order to empower the women. 

I agree with the criticisms of the Garrett character, and I've been thinking about why they wrote him the way they did. It's kind of boring, and it makes Bay look impulsive and a little shallow in how she chooses partners (which has never been really in her character), but I think the real reason they're doing this is that they wanted to show a "role model" of an "undeniably sexy hunk" who cares about his partner's satisfaction and consent-- to show that consent and caring about female pleasure are not buzzkills for losers. It's a pretty heavy-handed way to do this, but that's the only thing I can think of to explain why they've wedged this character into Bay's story.

I think that's what they must have been going for, a heavy-handed counterpoint to the heavy-handed depiction of woebegone Tank.  A PSA for 'you can be responsible and healthy and still be a red-hot player, too!'.  ABC Family does this kind of thing a lot.  I'm kind of over it.  I wonder how it comes off to the younger demographic. 

• Love 1

Garrett just looks so much older than Bay that it creeps me out a bit.

I thought he looked a lot older, too, but the actors are only 3 years apart.  He's 26 and she's 23.  It seems to be a case of her looking younger than her age and him looking older than his age?  Or at least her looking young.  Regardless, it takes me out of the scene every time.

• Love 2

It seems to be a case of her looking younger than her age and him looking older than his age?

Yes. Vanessa Marano has a very youthful face and doesn't look as if she's aged at all over the course of this show. Maybe a little less baby fat, but even then, she has a full round face. She's gorgeous that way. Nyle looks like he is pushing 30 at least. He's one of those guys who just looks a bit older than they are.

When Bay and Toby have a scene, it doesn't seem at all the actors are seven years apart. Lucas Gabreel has always been preternaturally young looking.

• Love 3

I think Daphne doth protest a lil' too much re: Mingo's disinterest in Josh. I actually kinda thought they WERE going to hook up there a min! Mingo and Josh had some actual heat, in my opinion! I would *love* it if the show went there, but alas, the world must continue to revolve around Daphne...

Re: the money to invest.  John told Regina's boyfriend that he had sold an investment to get a bit of cash not enough to get them out of the mess but to carry for a bit or cover some things (tuition?).  Then he said they had to reinvest some quickly because something about real estate.  The guy (cannot remember his name!) told him about the gentleman's club.

This is what mutual funds are for, JOHN AND KATHRYN!

EDIT: How did he successfully run a business for so many years when he is so bad at handling money?!

EDIT 2: I don't think it was brought up much in this episode, but I've found the focus on Daphne's scholarship and tuition pretty strange. She's not at Northwestern. I'd expect a school like UKMC to run somewhere around $10k/year, whereas the Buckner-type "best prep school in the city" schools tend to be more around $20k-$30k/year (and when the show started, the Kennishes had two students at Buckner and wanted to add a third). So Daphne's tuition is dramatically less than what the Kennishes were already used to paying, and just not having Daphne attend Buckner for those two years recoups her entire college tuition. If the Kennish's situation is really SO dire that they can't handle $10k/year (and even if they can't those would be manageable student loans), then doubly WTH on their whimsical investments. 

EDIT 3: Especially because they were expecting to have two kids in college at this point, and were probably expecting much more expensive colleges at that-- WUStL would be around $45k/year I bet, not sure about Pratt but I bet it's pricy. They didn't have a college fund set up for Bay and Toby? Or they're so strapped that they had to empty it (but can still invest in strip clubs and pole ballet)?? Like seriously wut.

Edited by Anisky
  • Love 2

I really don't care about Regina's boyfriend and his problems with his ex.  There's no doubt she will cause trouble.  So now the writers link her to Bay and, of course, Bay is somehow going to come out the loser in this.  She always does.  I hope this is a quick story line and isn't drawn out.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2

This is what mutual funds are for, JOHN AND KATHRYN!

EDIT: How did he successfully run a business for so many years when he is so bad at handling money?!

EDIT 2: I don't think it was brought up much in this episode, but I've found the focus on Daphne's scholarship and tuition pretty strange. She's not at Northwestern. I'd expect a school like UKMC to run somewhere around $10k/year, whereas the Buckner-type "best prep school in the city" schools tend to be more around $20k-$30k/year (and when the show started, the Kennishes had two students at Buckner and wanted to add a third). So Daphne's tuition is dramatically less than what the Kennishes were already used to paying, and just not having Daphne attend Buckner for those two years recoups her entire college tuition. If the Kennish's situation is really SO dire that they can't handle $10k/year (and even if they can't those would be manageable student loans), then doubly WTH on their whimsical investments. 

EDIT 3: Especially because they were expecting to have two kids in college at this point, and were probably expecting much more expensive colleges at that-- WUStL would be around $45k/year I bet, not sure about Pratt but I bet it's pricy. They didn't have a college fund set up for Bay and Toby? Or they're so strapped that they had to empty it (but can still invest in strip clubs and pole ballet)?? Like seriously wut.

The writers had to find a way to bring the story back to Kathryn's dance/musical/sex book fixation that has dominated her storyline for seasons now, I'll bet that the next twist is that the stripper has to bow out of the videos for some reason, and Kathryn "has" to step in as the lead polerina dancer because they can't afford to hire someone else and their whole financial future is riding on it.

• Love 2

The writers had to find a way to bring the story back to Kathryn's dance/musical/sex book fixation that has dominated her storyline for seasons now, I'll bet that the next twist is that the stripper has to bow out of the videos for some reason, and Kathryn "has" to step in as the lead polerina dancer because they can't afford to hire someone else and their whole financial future is riding on it.

Polerina, good one!  And I bet you're right. 

I really don't care about Regina's boyfriend and his problems with his ex.  There's no doubt she will cause trouble.  So now the writers link her to Bay and, of course, Bay is somehow going to come out the loser in this.  She always does.  I hope this is a quick story line and isn't drawn out.

Even worse than Bay getting hurt, I am beginning to suspect Regina will be the heroine in this, the nasty ex will be revealed as a major drug dealer, the kidnapping charges against Eric will be miraculously dropped, the kid will be saved from reverse kidnapping, blah blah blah.

Edited by ShadowFacts

It sounded like John had to pay back taxes or something to the IRS, so maybe he dipped into those college funds? He mentioned liquidating everything he could at one point.  But if they were really rich, they may not have bothered with a separate "college fund," because they figured they bring in enough cash every year to not need to save for that.  

Of course, having enough to invest in a club like that probably means their definition of "broke" is not the same as most peoples. 

• Love 1

How did Eric's ex figure out that Eric was in Kansas City? How did she link Regina to him and how did she figure out that Regina is in KC?

Well, the show probably won't go this way but ...

Regina's daughter was switched at birth and not just with anyone, but the daughter of a star baseball player who would go on to become a state senator. There were two successful books about it, one of which is being made into a movie. There was at least one story about it with photos in a magazine or newspaper. John and Angelo sued the hospital and won and during the trial in came out that Regina had already known about the switch. Daphne staged a protest at Carlton that people around the country took notice of. Kathryn wrote a high profile book about the sex lives of baseball players. Regina went with her to the book party for the launch of her second book and kissed her in front of everyone.

In the real world, Regina and Daphne would both be minor celebrities, and there would be a decent chance that any random person they encounter would have heard about their story on the news, in a magazine, in a newspaper, on Sports Center, and possibly seen a picture of two of them at some point and would recognize one or both of them.

How did Eric's ex figure out that Eric was in Kansas City? How did she link Regina to him and how did she figure out that Regina is in KC?

I think her spidey senses would have been tingling at the questions Regina was asking and how she showed up at the repair shop and then the AA meeting.  She probably thought she was either law enforcement or a private detective and began checking her out with what info she had from the rental car.  And found out the rest on the good old internet. 

• Love 1