Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

From what I'm reading on my affiliate's Facebook, the network (nationwide) is taking the President's announcement, live. Here, the episode ran, until ABC broke in around 2:22pm. Son of a bitch.

I was so mad at the President; I got out of school early, made tea and was all ready to catch the last half hour of the show and then had to listen to a boring speech?!? Can't he ever interrupt The Chew, or something equally shitty for once??? 

• Love 3
(edited)
It also helps that Frank Valentini actually let the family scenes play out over extended length, as opposed to constantly, frenetically cutting and cutting to different stories

That's what made the show really work for me. We actually saw the scenes play out, instead of going back and forth. If only that could happen. I think the quick cuts work for a lot stories, but some really do need more than 30 seconds of scene at a time.

Valerie and Dante would be pretty hot, but I don't want her to get all revengeful and become a home wrecker.

I don't want them to have an actual affair, but I wouldn't mind Valerie messing with the marriage a bit. Lulu (and to a lesser degree, Bobbie and Tracy) are being really callous toward her, expecting her to instal-forgive Luke "because he's a sick man!" The first time she meets him, he pulls a gun on her, ties her to a chair, and threatens to kill her if she doesn't tell him where her mother is. I think she's entitled to some anger and disbelief here. 

If every couple had infidelities and marriages broke up, because being married and happy is "boring" then we wouldn't have history, or matriarchs and patriarchs like we did for many, many years up until the last 20 years or so.

Constant affairs/makeups/breakups become meaningless very quickly, IMO. If a relationship hasn't been given time to build, why should I care if it's destroyed? Lulu and Dante have enough time under their belts for some problems to mean something, but I'm tired of the problem always being outside temptation. 

Can't he ever interrupt The Chew, or something equally shitty for once???

Blame the West Coast. (Sorry!) Daytime press conferences are planned so they don't air too early out there. Though I also like to think that they preempt when they know people are watching. *snerk*

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 5
(edited)

This:

We didn't want that. We were very clear about not going down the DID path. This really was Luke giving in to the darker impulses he has. What we were going for was that this dark Luke has always existed inside of him, not completely separate. The catalyst of the Fluke story was when Luke was imprisoned by Heather (Robin Mattson) and subjected to electroshock and drugging. The memories came back to him and caused that dark side to take over, so that Luke didn't have to face what he'd done. What we're trying to say... I need a psychiatrist to come and help me explain this! [Laughs] What we were going for was that there's always been this sort of guy inside of Luke. I think it makes sense if you look at him over the years on the show.  When he would feel that darkness coming over him, he would go on one of his adventures, so he didn't have to unleash that on his family. He'd run around the world and probably act a lot more like Fluke than like Luke. Then, he would get that out of his system and he would come home.

This? Is probably some of the most moronic bullshit I've ever been fed.  He has this "guy inside" him, but it's not the fictional equivalent of DID?  Okay, Ron, okay.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 7

h God, they're going to have Spencer perform "Music of the Night" at the Nurses Ball, aren't they?

I can't lie--this made me laugh so hard my morning tea shoot thru my nose.

I have awful feeling Luke is NOT going to be held responsible for his many crimes.  Hey, we have the evil tumor, claustrophobia, coma taking the blame for all the crimes committed in PC, a simple thing like PTSD, DID or whatever the fuck they are gonna come up with will explain all away hi misdeeds and PC will have a freaking ticker tape parade for Luke in May when he is completely "cured" of his problems just in time for sweeps week.......

• Love 2
A real little boy has a speech impediment. If he had a limp, would we mock that? If he were born missing limbs, would we mock that? Is this what we are? The actor is a 9 or 10 year old boy, ffs.

No one would be mocking him if the show weren't exploiting it in the first place.

• Love 7

Yeah I don't know who the 'we' is that Geary refers to, but I don't know anyone who forgave Luke for making roadkill out of his grandson.

Not only that, but the idiot never was sorry he did it. he was to busy denying he has a drinking problem. maybe Tony also has DID. He was never sorry he also wouldn't listen to Lucky plus he didn't even see Lulu left her there to almost get raped. TIIC of this show and sometimes the actual actors think the viewers also have no memories ?Tony didn't anyone ever tell you or Re-Ron , better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and prove it.

• Love 4
(edited)

It's a cliché, naturally, but even so, I'm actually not against this. I know, I know, GH has few couples and good people. But for me, Lante are due some messiness. They have had it good for far longer than most couples have, and I think DZ/ER would be happy to have something meaty to play.

But that's just me.

I agree.  I'm all for seeing happy couples and would actually have been charmed by a Dante-Lulu-Maxie-Nathan friendship.  Two young couples, already interconnected by bonds of friendship and work, with small kids about the same age, a lot in common...solvin' crime and changin' diapers.  Having a beer and playing pool to talk it over.  You could do a lot in a light-hearted way, to balance so much of the darkness GH has repeatedly dove into.  I already know this will not happen.  Spin is in the picture.

But Dante and Lulu as a standalone couple?  Meh.  I think of them as all or nothing - either wildly in love and passionately committed, or at extreme odds on the verge of breakup.  No middle ground.  And we don't really see reasons for any of it.

To be happy, they need happyish friends - not people in constant meltdown mode.  They need satisfying careers, a bigger living space (give the old studio to Spin), and difficult times to grow strong together through.  (Although the bar has been raised on what difficult is, for sure.)  They don't always have to agree or be sickeningly sweet to be convincing.  

If that scenario is not in the cards, I'm up for a breakup and hookup for Dante with Val (not based on revenge).  Have Lulu not forgive him for arresting her father, and that relationship is toast.  Otherwise all Dante will really have to play story wise is the "Whoops, both of my latest siblings are younger than my kid and are also mob-connected with messy custody issues, thanks mom and dad!" plot line lurking in store for him.  Yeah.

***edited to add second sibling and second grandparent parent.  Forgot about little AJ!

Edited by Reo
  • Love 1

I saw part of Finola's visit to The Chew.   She should have "entertained" The Chew's audience with an hour of gagging and vomiting, like the cast of The Chew did on GH during the tainted relish episode.   It's only fair.

• Love 5

I don't want them to have an actual affair, but I wouldn't mind Valerie messing with the marriage a bit. Lulu (and to a lesser degree, Bobbie and Tracy) are being really callous toward her, expecting her to instal-forgive Luke "because he's a sick man!" The first time she meets him, he pulls a gun on her, ties her to a chair, and threatens to kill her if she doesn't tell him where her mother is. I think she's entitled to some anger and disbelief here. 

They are. And to Dante, too, which I found even more annoying. Maybe Dante should detail it a bit more graphically for Lulu what happened or something.

If they actually use that irritation that he should have to drive a wedge between them, that would at least be satisfying on some level. 

• Love 2

If that scenario is not in the cards, I'm up for a breakup and hookup for Dante with Val (not based on revenge).  Have Lulu not forgive him for arresting her father, and that relationship is toast.  Otherwise all Dante will really have to play story wise is the "Whoops, both of my latest siblings are younger than my kid and are also mob-connected with messy custody issues, thanks mom and dad!" plot line lurking in store for him.  Yeah.

The irrational part of me doesn't mind throwing (Nu)Lulu to the wolves, but admittedly, the rational part of me hates that for her character. Not forgive him for arresting Luke, after Luke tried to kill them all, and when he (Dante) arrested his own father? So it's not like he hasn't put his money where his mouth is (after 4 years, admittedly).

Maybe they can just be busy at work, grow distant, and then Dante gets trapped with Val/whoever and they have "we're gonna die" sex and go from there.

• Love 1
(edited)

Or even one who has a job. 

I mean, Kate had a whole career before RC gave her DID, made her a rape victim and killed her off but I can't think of any other women who work

I was all agreeing with you, but then I started thinking about it. No one really has an exciting career they are committed to (onscreen anyway, like Kate did), but most of the women work.

As much as it pains me to say it, Carly fits in plenty of work running her hotel around her busybodying and sex schedule.  Olivia is right there with her.  We probably see them working the most, usually at the bar but whatever.

Liz has a job at the hospital and probably occasionally does some nursing.  Sabrina is a nurse/nanny.  Lulu owns a bar.  Monica (who?) is a surgeon.  Anna is a spy, Obrecht is COS at GH, and Jordan a bewildered undercover officer in over her head.  Ava used to own a gallery, before being presumed dead and currently short-listed for termination or a new storyline.  Robin is a doctor who found a cure for death, but can't figure out how to let anyone know she's in trouble.  Sam dabbles in PI work when it suits her, but her hit man husband left her a rich widow.  Oh, and Alexis and Diane are laughably bad lawyers with terrific win records.

I think we can just chalk Tracy and Bobbie up to retirement and give them a pass. 

However.  The ones that don't work are so terrifically irritating about it that it kind of overwhelms everything else about them.  Kiki, Maxie, and Nina, I'm looking at you.  At least Nina has the coma excuse and the frozen funds excuse to draw on.  (I can't believe Maxie and Kiki are making me defend Nina.  I feel soiled.)

Edited by Reo
  • Love 4

However.  The ones that don't work are so terrifically irritating about it that it kind of overwhelms everything else about them.  Kiki, Maxie, and Nina, I'm looking at you.  At least Nina has the coma excuse and the frozen funds excuse to draw on.  (I can't believe Maxie and Kiki are making me defend Nina.  I feel soiled.)

Tracy I think still works at ELQ in some capacity.

Maxie, I have no clue why RC won't give the poor woman a job.

Maxie, I have no clue why RC won't give the poor woman a job.

Well spending her days licking Nathan's chest could be considered a form of "self employment" in Ron's eyes.

Lulu may own a bar, but the last time we saw her at the Haunted Star was when she and Dante had their fight over Johnny still being part-owner. That was months ago. She doesn't do anything work-related unless it's a plot point. They don't even pay lip service to it by having her be at home but going over invoices or bar orders. Lulu might as well be unemployed.

• Love 3

Lulu may own a bar, but the last time we saw her at the Haunted Star was when she and Dante had their fight over Johnny still being part-owner. That was months ago. She doesn't do anything work-related unless it's a plot point. They don't even pay lip service to it by having her be at home but going over invoices or bar orders. Lulu might as well be unemployed.

I don't think so. It stinks, but it's better than nothing. And it was still months ago, and only about a week later, but we did see her there at the party, managing it, after the fight.

Plus to be fair I guess if we saw everyone do work related things GH would be 7 hours long, because we'd have to see about 40 characters do something work related.

• Love 1

All Lulu does is get kidnapped, coo over her baby and prop Maxie. I'm not asking for a detailed workplace sitcom, but I do think she always had more ambitions as a woman than just being the largely offscreen proprietor of one of Frank Valentini's standing restaurant/club sets.

• Love 4

All Lulu does is get kidnapped, coo over her baby and prop Maxie. I'm not asking for a detailed workplace sitcom, but I do think she always had more ambitions as a woman than just being the largely offscreen proprietor of one of Frank Valentini's standing restaurant/club sets.

Oh, no, I absolutely agree. I just mean that I don't think off-screen working is "might as well be unemployed". It still looks better than Maxie, who is just running around and I'm wondering how the hell she is affording flights. It's even worse with Maxie, because she had specific goals. Lulu wanted more out of life, but she never had anything definite in mind like Maxie.

• Love 1

So Patrick readily admits he thought nothing of completely blindsiding his little girl by having his new "lady friend" and her kid move into their home and acts as if it won't be a "big deal" for Emma despite losing her mother more than once and also having to deal with Patrick's other failed relationships and the almost "other Mommy" she had in Sabrina whom she was promised would be there for her and love her and care for her just like a mother should/would...is Ron just trying to write pretty much every single father on this show as the worst scum of the earth? 

Patrick is a jackass, a dumb-ass, a lame-ass, and above all else he is a pathetic excuse for a human being. He claims Emma is his #1 girl, since when?

The idea that Sam would be okay and not giving him the business over how he has been treating his daughter is just...she should be the first one who knows what it is like having a father who would be too selfish and self centered to care anything about doing is best for his little girl, even if that might mean a five minute commute.

And of course there was that line about Robin having her own "bed" in Paris. Cute, Ron, real cute you degenerate asshole.

If only Spencer had perished in that fire...

Of course Jakson shows up for his first day and plays "Super Soldier"... I could not be anymore over this bullshit if I tried. And really? He is going to run the shop? Really...? Ffs. They even had Sam and Jakson wearing those goddamn matching leather jackets...

Greenlee going on and on and on with Liz, filling her in about her amazing night of fake sex with Jakson was...good thing I wasn't eating. I think the script writers really don't give two shiny shits about what these idiot characters spew out of their face holes anymore.

• Love 8
(edited)

Maxie is literally unemployed, but I do think Lulu might as well be. We see Olivia and Carly run their hotel, we almost never see Lulu do her job, because it's simply something that occasionally exists to say she has one. And yeah, compared to what she and Maxie used to do? It really grates.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3

Maxie is literally unemployed, but I do think Lulu might as well be. We see Olivia and Carly run their hotel, we almost never see Lulu do her job, because it's simply something that occasionally exists to say she has one.

I just don't get why Lulu gets the brunt of that argument though. We rarely see Sam at work either, for example, and I don't usually see people say she might as well be unemployed. I guess because she has other plot lines going on? (if that last sentence sounds sarcastic, it's not)

• Love 2

We see Olivia and Carly run their hotel, we almost never see Lulu do her job, because it's simply something that occasionally exists to say she has one.

I agree, but to be fair, the set for Lulu's job pretty much only gets put up for special events.  Places like the Metro Court regularly have action going on in them.

• Love 1

And Patprick is fine with moving a woman in that his daughter barely knows, OK, show.

I hilariously enjoyed this episode in a "Patrick is going to fall so hard and cry" way. I mean, Sam spends the episode talking about Jake/Jason. Patrick spends it declaring his love for Sam and planning their future wedding. Jakeson spends it having another flashback of Sam. Heeeeeee. I really love it so much.

• Love 4

Robin has her own bed in Paris and Lucky's in it.

Rocky Forever.

I wonder if Ron knows how much good will he would get from fans if he made this happen even off screen

• Love 7
(edited)

I just don't get why Lulu gets the brunt of that argument though. We rarely see Sam at work either, for example, and I don't usually see people say she might as well be unemployed. I guess because she has other plot lines going on? (if that last sentence sounds sarcastic, it's not)

I think Sam's P.I. business is too often a joke and they could do much more with it, but they do at least throw it into the plot on a regular basis. Let's "hire" Sam to find this or that out! It's something that's often around, and in terms of money she is already set for life as Jason's widow. She also has a checkered past and a different path in life altogether than Lulu, let's put it that way to be nice.

Lulu, OTOH, is now just another young heroine who was relegated to making babies, wanting babies, getting kidnapped or being driven nuts at a young age. She used to be meant for more, to have more to her as a character and a woman, and that's what pisses me off. She's just a wife, mother and damsel now, and someone RC clearly is not very interested in if she isn't being 'wild.' Same thing happened to Jessica on OLTL, a similar character with a similar central legacy, but there Ron was able to keep her crazy and 'fun' for years, while the saner part of Jessica herself basically gave up on any job or life outside of motherhood or madness as well.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3

I can't wait until Patrick is left drifting in the wind when Sam dumps him as soon as Jake is revealed to be Jason.  Hopefully Emma and Robin will be too busy with their reunion vacation to comfort him

I am glad that Emma was allowed to acknowledge her mother's existence.  It would be nice if they could update us on whether anyone has spoken to Robin, but I will take what I can get

• Love 5

I'll reply in the Spencer thread.

Lulu, OTOH, is now just another young heroine who was relegated to making babies, wanting babies, getting kidnapped or being driven nuts at a young age. 

(edited)

I can't wait until Patrick is left drifting in the wind when Sam dumps him as soon as Jake is revealed to be Jason. Hopefully Emma and Robin will be too busy with their reunion vacation to comfort him

I am glad that Emma was allowed to acknowledge her mother's existence. It would be nice if they could update us on whether anyone has spoken to Robin, but I will take what I can get

Isn't it sad how it's greedy for us to expect Emma to ask why she hasn't spoken to Robin since mid-last year? SMH.

But it's all a plot point. This was never about Robin or Emma. It was 2 seconds of "That's mommy's bed" to "We're gonna be such a fun family!" The drama can't even last for more than a scene.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 1

So NuJason remembers his hitman' skills, OK, show.

And Patprick is fine with moving a woman in that his daughter barely knows, OK, show.

Um, they totally hugged on Thanksgiving. That makes them super best friends.

~Ron

• Love 9
(edited)

Plus to be fair I guess if we saw everyone do work related things GH would be 7 hours long, because we'd have to see about 40 characters do something work related.

Except the majority of the women on the show used to regularly be shown at work and they had work-related goals. 

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 7
(edited)

I was truly surprised that there was absolutely no mention of Sabrina today. When it got to the part about sharing beds, I would have expected Emma to make some mention of   "like how you and Sabrina" slept in the same bed. Boy, I guess that character has really fallen out of favor.

Edited by rur
  • Love 2
(edited)
I just mean that I don't think off-screen working is "might as well be unemployed".

That's my point, though—there's no evidence she's off-screen working. It's easy enough to add a few lines here and there—she runs into someone at Kelly's on her way to the HS; she's at home but working on invoices, etc—but we don't get that. We get Lulu being kidnapped, traipsing off to Pennsylvania to find her father, returning to PC to whine about her husband arresting her father. She doesn't need to mention work all the time, but she doesn't mention it at all unless we actually see her at the HS or someone needs it for an event. Which these days is never, as Frank seems too cheap to haul out another set when the MetroCourt can handle everything.

I agree, but to be fair, the set for Lulu's job pretty much only gets put up for special events.  Places like the Metro Court regularly have action going on in them.

Which they could solve by having the HS be more of a regular meeting place. Have everyone go there while the Floating Rib gets bug-bombed. It's not that hard to do.

just don't get why Lulu gets the brunt of that argument though. We rarely see Sam at work either, for example, and I don't usually see people say she might as well be unemployed.

It's also that Sam doesn't really need an office to do her job. It was nice when she and Spin had their own set, but it's not critical to her gig. Sam does a lot of work for herself rather than paying clients, though. Heh.

I would like to see the younger women (Sam and below) do more than obsess about babies and hit men who may or may not be Jason. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 5

I was truly surprised that there was absolutely no mention of Sabrina today. When it got to the part about sharing beds, I would have expected Emma to make some mention of "like how you and Sabrina" slept in the same bed. Boy, I guess that character has really fallen out of favor.

The writers would then have to acknowledge that Patrick falls in love at the drop of a hat and his "declarations" have become meaningless.

• Love 3

Do Julian and Alexis remember that the PH is still Sam's property and maybe they shouldn't redecorate a home that isn't actually theirs when Samtrick's relationship is only a few months old? What happens when Sam dumps Patrick and wants her home back? Are they going to claim squatters' rights?

• Love 12

I actually loved the bitchface from Elizabeth when Patrick said Sam's moving in (to Robin's home). She's the one who informed Patrick not so long ago that Emma was sleeping in his bed because she misses her mommy. Becky H. did well with the tone about wanting him to be happy (but you could practically hear her say is this really a good idea). Also loved the WTF look/bitchface when Hayden was encouraging her to get back with that "Ric guy" now that "my husband" isn't an option. 

KeMo sold Sam's emotion/pain at leaving/giving up the home she shared with Jason to move in with Patrick. I believe her about feeling like well, leaving here means I don't have to see Ric when he comes to visit Molly.

Bummed that I saw Elizabeth losing her spine again at allowing the lip peck and hand holding from Ric. He's already decided they're back together despite the "no pressure" (yeah, right) and her clear reluctance. He clearly doesn't care if she actually wants to be with him, as long as he gets to claim her and Cameron as his own. Blech. Shades of GV's Lucky right now.

I will give JT credit that when Patrick is alone and tells Emma he loves her and she's his #1, I believe him. They have such great father-daughter chemistry.  

• Love 3

Ron regarding Fluke's underlying psychosis:

I need a psychiatrist to come and help me explain this!

Given where the story came from, what he needs is a proctologist.

• Love 18

Shawn, unless you are talking to a shrub, no one should believe your death threats.

I am not even sure the shrub would believe him, he'd probably just end up cutting off his own arm with the trimmer. One can dream...

• Love 3

Shawn, unless you are talking to a shrub, no one should believe your death threats.

This. The writers have  painted him now as such an inept enforcer that it's hard to take him seriously when he tries to be menacing. 

• Love 7

It's a shame Spencer didn't fall off those books and break his neck.

Sonny looks ridiculous in that leather jacket and haircut that is currently popular with 20 and 30 year olds.

RHe & RB sizzle together.

Morgan and NuKiki are hot people, if huge tools. There, I said it. Too bad the actress is so awkward. Actually if they let them be an actual couple I could maybe like them for an evil scheming couple. Instead they just scheme together chastely.

Rebecca Budig still has the charisma of toast, imo. I try to pay attention to her scenes but all I end up doing is zoning her out and focusing on her amazing hair.

Oh God, how did Spencer know Nik's code to the flimsy ass safe? He did seem a little more understandable today though, so there's that.

Wyndemere's new furniture is so . . . suburban.

• Love 2