Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

Valentin is growing on me, mostly because I'm enjoying the actor. He has a kind of quiet intensity about him that makes him an effective bad guy. His scenes with Alexis were really good; I liked that she seemed tempted by his offer, but she also wasn't afraid to challenge him. It would be interesting if the show explored their sibling relationship, because their dynamic could serve as a counterpoint to Julian/Ava.

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I've said this before, but...seriously, the big story about General Hospital closing was really all about Franco "saving the day"?  Why then did we even see the stuff with Lucy and the board member who wanted to sell it, nothing at all came from that!

I don't know why I thought the mentions of Mercy hospital might lead to scenes with GH medical personnel interacting with Mercy staff members that might eventually be integrated into the show.

I mean, why do something that Shonda Rhimes did successfully when you can write stories about Franco and Claudette while randomly inserting Ava into every story

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 5

I like the Alexis/Valentin scene. And it was very smooth of him to take credit for the box o' wine bottles. Can you imagine if they cast this guy as Julian? Then I would probably totally be on board Julian/Alexis.

And too bad Valentin is evil, cause I also could get behind him/Anna.

Dante drinking tea is funny. Although couldn't they have done me and @HeatLifer a solid and had Dante and Robin run into each other?

Obrecht should hit on Griffin, it would be hilarious. Poor guy would burst into tears. 

I'm pretty sure Franco is letting his dark side passive-aggressively show with that hair. He isn't repressing shit around Elizabeth. And whose idea was it to have Franco chew loudly? Cause that'll make him less annoying.

I liked the lipstick on Hayden.

• Love 10
22 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I've said this before, but...seriously, the big story about General Hospital closing was really all about Franco "saving the day"?  Why then did we even see the stuff with Lucy and the board member who wanted to sell it, nothing at all came from that!

Never fear - I'm sure we're getting a second phase of the story where Rebecca Budig saves the hospital with her fantastic financial know how.  Why use the hospital story to prop one of their pets when they can use it to prop two of them?  

• Love 6

oh, I forgot to say, I freaking hate the music composer! Dante starts talking about Morgan and then the plunk plunk ostentatious music ruined it. Save that shit for a Nathan scene; let the people who can actually act convey the emotions without the music drowning them out. Hell, don't even give it to Nathan.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Dante drinking tea is funny. Although couldn't they have done me and @HeatLifer a solid and had Dante and Robin run into each other?

I think she should have had scenes with Dante (about Sonny), Carly, and Michael, to name a few. They wasted her with boring ass Griffin and her mother. But I can't complain. Her hand isn't chained to a wall or bed.

• Love 2
Just now, HeatLifer said:

I think she should have had scenes with Dante (about Sonny), Carly, and Michael, to name a few. They wasted her with boring ass Griffin and her mother. But I can't complain. Her hand isn't chained to a wall or bed.

Is she already gone? Griff (can I call him Griff? I'm calling him Griff darn it) made it sound like they were all staying in Anna's giant house still.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ulkis said:

Is she already gone? Griff (can I call him Griff? I'm calling him Griff darn it) made it sound like they were all staying in Anna's giant house still.

She was clearly still in town today even though she was off-screen. I have no clue if we'll see her again. If she's not on tomorrow or Friday, her visit is probs done, though.

2 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

She was clearly still in town today even though she was off-screen. I have no clue if we'll see her again. If she's not on tomorrow or Friday, her visit is probs done, though.

boooooo. Stealth exit, like Jax!

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, ulkis said:

boooooo. Stealth exit, like Jax!

I know! A part of me wishes she could stay. I want to see her in her own story again. This is the delusional part of me talking that doesn't grasp Frank will ruin the character. I'll get over it soon.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

I know! A part of me wishes she could stay. I want to see her in her own story again. This is the delusional part of me talking that doesn't grasp Frank will ruin the character. I'll get over it soon.

Oh I don't trust own story. But I'd like a bit more interaction. She should be sticking around for Morgan's memorial.

• Love 3
Just now, ulkis said:

Oh I don't trust own story. But I'd like a bit more interaction. She should be sticking around for Morgan's memorial.

Like I said, it's the delusional part of my brain. 

She should have come for the memorial, but maybe she had schedule conflicts then? I dunno. I just think she should have been in scenes with anyone other than Griffin.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Like I said, it's the delusional part of my brain. 

She should have come for the memorial, but maybe she had schedule conflicts then? I dunno. I just think she should have been in scenes with anyone other than Griffin.

That's some strong Griffin apathy lol. What about scenes with Nina? Franco? Well actually she could have told Franco to leave Jason alone and tell him she didn't like him. Missed opportunity!

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, ulkis said:

That's some strong Griffin apathy lol. What about scenes with Nina? Franco? Well actually she could have told Franco to leave Jason alone and tell him she didn't like him. Missed opportunity!

I'll take Nina and Franco if she tells them both to fuck off. I think Griffin is sooooooooo utterly boring, you don't understand. He literally makes me want to read a dictionary, front to back.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, KerleyQ said:

Never fear - I'm sure we're getting a second phase of the story where Rebecca Budig saves the hospital with her fantastic financial know how.  Why use the hospital story to prop one of their pets when they can use it to prop two of them?  

Well they did have that beat of Rebecca Budig and Dr. Michael Easton overhearing about the potential sale and running to Tracy about it, but absolutely nothing came from it.  So weird.

In other bad storytelling, I can't believe how badly they're botching Liz and Rebeca Budig being sisters.  The fact that Jeff Webber's her bio dad was tossed off casually by Rebecca Budig today during their usual bitchery, but really, we're not going to dive into this deeper, at all?  Rebecca Budig's not curious at all about her bio dad?  Liz is too busy being gross with Franco to wonder if she should tell No Name or Sarah?

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 6

I'm legit surprised they're using the same hospital set. I thought for sure we'd get something that looked like the awful Mercy set.

Add me to the list of those who don't mind Rebecca Budig working at GH. For one, it's genuine work. For another, it has nothing to do with scamming some man. For yet another, she has financial experience, so it's actually logical. 

Alexis, it is your destiny. Embrace the dark side. /Darth Vader heavy breathing

Val, you suck. You poke around your boyfriend's phone, you might find something you don't like. So climb down off that cross, lady.

1 hour ago, ulkis said:

Dante drinking tea is funny.

I wouldn't be surprised if FH brought in a tea set from home.  Heh.

4 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

The fact that Jeff Webber's her bio dad was tossed off casually by Rebecca Budig today during their usual bitchery, but really, we're not going to dive into this deeper, at all?

I know. Has she even seen a picture of Jeff? Suddenly she's fine with saying he's her father?

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

Then RC gave the murderhobo a tumor redemption but did nothing to change the character's narcissistic, sociopathic personality.

Franco's whining today about not getting recognition for his save of GH was even more evidence that the character's narcissism and sociopathic personality are still going strong. At one point he tossed his greasy hair and said petulantly something about his past being over and being able to go on with his life. Is that what the writers think too? Was he speaking on their behalf?

• Love 5

Elizabeth, girl buy a vibrator or jump Griffin's bones, but kick Freako Franco to the curb!

I have always enjoyed Elizabeth and Robin's friendship, so of course their chat was offscreen.

HateChel's behind was tied to the Hardy/Webber's and that is all that FV cares about.

Edited by Darklazr
  • Love 5

I don't mind Hayden not wanting to dig deep into her relationship right away. it makes sense to me they will still be snarky for a bit. I think it would rushing too much for once if Hayden started thawing right now.

• Love 3

Hayden doesn't have to talk to Liz about it, but what about Finn? Or her mom? Or Monica? Or no one but we see her Spyder Findering stories about Jeff? How about she hires Curtis to get some info?

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Hayden doesn't have to talk to Liz about it, but what about Finn? Or her mom? Or Monica? Or no one but we see her Spyder Findering stories about Jeff? How about she hires Curtis to get some info?

How about HateChel leaving town?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ulkis said:

I don't mind Hayden not wanting to dig deep into her relationship right away. it makes sense to me they will still be snarky for a bit. I think it would rushing too much for once if Hayden started thawing right now.

It certainly sounds like Rebecca Budig hero worshiped her non-bio dad Raymond Berlin so I feel like she would be more in denial about this change, more annoyed if it were to be brought up.  That's why her so casually referring to that fact today was so weird.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

And on the flip side - why is Liz not more preoccupied with this huge revelation about her father and her family?  Why is she not weighing whether she should confront her father, or tell him about the daughter he knows nothing about?  Why is she not wondering if she should tell her mom No Name or Sarah?

I know exactly why - that would distract from Franco, and we can't have that. #eyeroll

• Love 7
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Val, you suck. You poke around your boyfriend's phone, you might find something you don't like. So climb down off that cross, lady.

Let's not forget that the last time she was poking around something that really wasn't her business -- looking through hospital files when she was supposed to be performing a building sweep for a killer -- she got knocked out by said killer. So the girl doesn't learn. Or bathe after a workout.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, AuxArx said:

Tired of Alexis' pity party...she used to be such a strong character even through all of her bad choices in men.  I just want to slap her.  Also want to slap Franco--he is way too clingy.  That's not an attractive trait, especially for someone his age.

I agree, but I do think NLG has been hitting it out of the park since this whole "Julian is the evilest evil to ever evil, how could I have been so wrong!" pity party began.  So ready to see her start acting her age again, too.

6 hours ago, Perkie said:

She got this very interesting look on her face when he said he wanted them to get the inheritence that they deserve. And again at the end, when he covered for her by saying that he had sent her the giant box-o-booze and not that she'd ordered it herself.  

About that:  How did Valentin even know the box o'wine was even an issue that needed to be covered up from Sam?

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

The point is that Jason and Sonny evolved into their current status. Franco from the get-go started off as pond scum and yet is somehow being repositioned, way too quickly, as a romantic option. The writing and acting doesn't support that, though.

I disagree. Sonny came on as pond scum.  He got re-positioned with Brenda, Robin and Stone, ultimately left the show, came back and over time became a worse human being.  You can easily look at Sonny from the beginning and compare to now and basically see the same person.  Jason was slightly more sympathetic when he first woke up, although there was that ugliness with Keesha, it still took less than 2 years before Jason was stealing his friend's child and it's been downhill since that moment.  So out of 20 years of the character existing, being awful for close to 18 of them, that's not a real evolution to me.  He wasn't decent for 10, okay for 5 and only awful for the last 5.  He was less than 2 years old before he betrayed AJ and stole Michael.  Of course, the show didn't see it that way. Just like they don't with Franco. They see what they want to see and they write what they want to write.  If that means Franco gets three romantic relationships in 3 years, then so be it. Jason and Sonny never went without an adoring woman either.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Vella said:

I disagree. Sonny came on as pond scum.  He got re-positioned with Brenda, Robin and Stone, ultimately left the show, came back and over time became a worse human being.  

Yeah, but Sonny and Brenda were a hit very quickly. The pairing with Liz is the closest Franco has come to some kind of popularity and it's only lukewarm

If that means Franco gets three romantic relationships in 3 years, then so be it.

This kind of feels like to me someone saying, "well, you already don't have one arm, so you should be fine without the other." And a lot of people don't accept Sonny and Jason, why should a third horrible character be accepted just cause the audience is stuck with Sonny and Jason?

• Love 8

I still don't understand what Franco has to do with Sonny and Jason.

Everyone likes different things. Mostly because of how it makes them FEEL, not out of some kind of logic. I loved Sonny and Jason for a long time. Did it make sense? Eh, that's debatable. Maybe some feel the same way about Franco. I personally don't get it. Just like some may not get why I loved Sonny and Jason. 

• Love 2

Well. The scene between Valentine and Alexis was the first time I've found him remotely interesting or worthwhile. Too bad about the Nina connection, but maybe she'll annoy him so much that he'll throw her off a parapet

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 10

I've always had a soft spot for James Patrick Stewart ever since I liked him on a Hallmark movie Taste of Romance. He is cheesy on this show but I like him and Alexis so far- I can dig him trying to bring Alexis to the dark side. 

Franco is always so fucking whiny. Can't they write his character as a normal human being?

Still pretty much watching for Hayden and Finn- I really need help.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Fellaway said:

About that:  How did Valentin even know the box o'wine was even an issue that needed to be covered up from Sam?

Alexis told him by accident at the party. She thought she was talking to Kevin when Valentin offered her a drink and she said she wasn't drinking anymore while her daughter was pregnant.

• Love 4

This kind of feels like to me someone saying, "well, you already don't have one arm, so you should be fine without the other." And a lot of people don't accept Sonny and Jason, why should a third horrible character be accepted just cause the audience is stuck with Sonny and Jason?

I don't think anyone should be fine or accepting, I'm saying it's a pattern. One that's been going on for 2 decades. They do it with Sonny and Jason. They do it with Carly. They did it with Luke. All leads, given plenty of story, energy, romances etc.  All awful in their own particular ways. Instead of focusing on the writing and the storytelling and having consequences and not pushing characters to grotesque ends, the showrunners prefer to do THIS. So why wouldn't that trend continue with Franco?  It's what they've done and will continue to do.  Blah. It's depressing.

• Love 2
On 11/3/2016 at 1:24 AM, Vella said:

I don't think anyone should be fine or accepting, I'm saying it's a pattern. One that's been going on for 2 decades. They do it with Sonny and Jason. They do it with Carly. They did it with Luke. All leads, given plenty of story, energy, romances etc.  All awful in their own particular ways. Instead of focusing on the writing and the storytelling and having consequences and not pushing characters to grotesque ends, the showrunners prefer to do THIS. So why wouldn't that trend continue with Franco? 

Because Franco never had any popularity whatsoever. 

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

Well. The scene between Valentine and Alexis was the first time I've found him remotely interesting or worthwhile. Too bad about the Nina connection, but maybe she'll annoy him so much that he'll throw her off a parapet

I re-watched the Valentin/Alexis scenes and I like them better now than I did initially. If Valentin can act like he was with Alexis and stop with the "I deserve the Cassadine empire because I grew up poor"/ incompetent villain thing, I might be able to like him. And if he could start killing some people I hate that would be great as well.

• Love 11
On 11/2/2016 at 1:08 AM, Vella said:

GH spends oodles of time selling Jason and Sonny as romantic leads and often, heroes. Well, why shouldn't the same happen to Franco?

Nah

• Love 10
11 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Uncle Frank seems to have moved on from the Hayden/Curtis friendship. Can't have two characters with natural chemistry get in the way of his agenda. The fact that it's a black man and white woman too? We won't speak on that. Pushing Dr. Michael Silas Hamilton Easton Clay Finn for the 3RD FUCKING TIME is just way too important. He has to justify that whole grocery store rollout some way, right?

• Love 10

Joining the chorus of those who enjoyed the Alexis/Valentin scenes.  They have a nice vibe between them.  Then of course Jason and Sam had to come in and ruin it all.  Well, if you could call Sam whispering "Mom" and Jason baring his teeth at Valentin.  Also, nice that now that Sam is out and about and walking on her stilts that Jason can go be-bop around town trying to clear his actual one true love.

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, tricknasty said:

I thought the actor playing Griffin was leaving or am I remembering wrong?

If only! I mean Griffin wouldn't be my first choice to leave, but basically at this point I'll be happy if anyone leaves because there's just way too many characters.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

"I deserve the Cassadine empire because I grew up poor"

This rationale always cracks me up. It's not as if living inside the Cassadine empire was all puppies and cotton candy. Legitimate birth or not, the family is nuts. And it's not as if there's some gigantic forturn to take over. Nik saw to that in a series of boneheaded moves.

Why do they keep acting as if Spencer is a legitimate heir? He is to Nik's personal fortune, such as it is(n't), but he shouldn't be to anything related to the Cassadine estate.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, tricknasty said:

I thought the actor playing Griffin was leaving or am I remembering wrong?

I don't think he's leaving, but he does have a recurring role on Criminal Minds:Beyond Borders, so that might lead to something permanent

28 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Why do they keep acting as if Spencer is a legitimate heir? He is to Nik's personal fortune, such as it is(n't), but he shouldn't be to anything related to the Cassadine estate.

Why wouldn't Spencer be the legitimate heir to what's left of the Cassadine estate?  Isn't he the direct descendent of a Cassadine and given the Cassadine's way of passing the estate to the first born male in each generation, wouldn't he qualify?  

4 minutes ago, LegalParrot81 said:

Why wouldn't Spencer be the legitimate heir to what's left of the Cassadine estate?

Because his parents weren't married when he was born. Estates pass through legitimate heirs, not those born on the wrong side of the blanket. Though that point seems to be flexible depending on the plot. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

It certainly sounds like Rebecca Budig hero worshiped her non-bio dad Raymond Berlin so I feel like she would be more in denial about this change, more annoyed if it were to be brought up.  That's why her so casually referring to that fact today was so weird.

And on the flip side - why is Liz not more preoccupied with this huge revelation about her father and her family?  Why is she not weighing whether she should confront her father, or tell him about the daughter he knows nothing about?  Why is she not wondering if she should tell her mom No Name or Sarah?

I know exactly why - that would distract from Franco, and we can't have that. #eyeroll

These writers continue to and amaze me with their story choices. It seems obvious that Hayden was made a Webber to forestall complaints about her general pointlessness and lack of connection to the canvas once Nik died, instead of as part of a carefully plotted story about GH history. It's just such a stupid waste 

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Because his parents weren't married when he was born. Estates pass through legitimate heirs, not those born on the wrong side of the blanket. Though that point seems to be flexible depending on the plot. 

Okay, that makes sense.  Nik, then, was also not a legitimate heir since Laura and Stavros' marriage was not legal, Laura was married to Luke when Nik was born.

Are there even any legitimate heirs left to claim it?

No.  Stefan was never married and Stavros' marriage to Laura was not legal.  Mikkos' brothers both died without legitimate heirs. 

Edited by LegalParrot81
47 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

Are there even any legitimate heirs left to claim it?

None that we know of, I don't think.

27 minutes ago, LegalParrot81 said:

Stavros' marriage to Laura was not legal

It was considered legal, which is why Nik was the legitimate heir.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It was considered legal, which is why Nik was the legitimate heir.

Only to the Cassadine's then because Laura was legally married to Luke, but we all know the Cassadine's have always lived by their own rules.

• Love 2

You go back far enough, there are almost always legal and legitimate heirs to family trusts. Since the direct Mikkos(including his siblings) family looks to be ended, it would go back to Mikko's father's siblings or cousins. And Nik and Alexis have mentioned in the past about part of being Prince was keeping the family in check and as happy as possible. The others could cause trouble and be trigger happy.

Which could be ok with Valentin's chances if his family was already Cassadine. Mikkos having an affair with a cousin's wife wouldn't be outrageous. And such a clanish family probably wouldn't be that nit picky if Valentin really is that dangerous and if he promises the return of the Cassadine family fortune and feared reputation.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, P3pp3rb1rd said:

Franco's whining today about not getting recognition for his save of GH was even more evidence that the character's narcissism and sociopathic personality are still going strong. At one point he tossed his greasy hair and said petulantly something about his past being over and being able to go on with his life. Is that what the writers think too? Was he speaking on their behalf?

Probably. It seems to be the trend since the aughts started: the writers/producers (usually the head ones) find the audience isn’t doing what they want, with only a few (not enough to sustain a show) being on board whatever shit they want the audience to swallow. I think it was Guza that said the phrase “training the audience”. Unfortunately as dark and degenerate audiences have come, there is even so far even they are willing to go, especially if the show is not being particularly well written. If there is one thing I really feel that could focus on without it costing too much money (or any) is the writing. Remember when RC remarked “its in character if I write it for the character”.  Other things that saved the earlier incarnation of Jason was how the story was playing out amongst the Qs and the tail end of Robin’s HIV story. Sonny had years of popularity being one half of a super couple and Jason was a member of the Qs and SB had been on the show for years before the show rebooted his character. The show continues to revolve around because the behind the scenes talent is a stupid as all get out, and they are akin to sequels of the extremely popular source material. Roger Hogworth is playing a character that was’t very good to begin with, despite being played by an Oscar nominated actor and whose only claim to fame now is being played by the guy that played Todd Manning on OLTL.  GH wasn’t stupid enough have Stephen Nichols play quasi-Patch, because the show didn’t need Patch, it needed Stefan Cassadine (and arguably still does), which to SN’s credit, played very well.

• Love 5