Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

(edited)

Anna: I think we feel a mutual respect for one another Sonny

:(

I legit got a tear at that in the promo. It's just so awful. I'm gonna have to ffwd that nonsense tomorrow because I don't need that negativity in my life.

Curtis and Hayden do have chemistry, but so do Curtis and Jordan. I think they're headed down the road to hate-sex, which I'm not looking forward to. I'd rather they just hash out whatever problems they have and become more like siblings. There aren't enough platonic relationships on the show.

I don't like Jordan/Curtis at all because Jordan is just insufferable in every way to me now, but I do wish their were more platonic relationships. Especially male/female ones just because that's nice and different. I'm torn between wanting Curtis/Hayden to be friends or more.

I am trying to be on Liz's side now that she's all broken and pitiful and (intermittently) remorseful, but all her busybody nonsense is making it difficult. In the first place, I don't believe she cares as much about Spencer being hurt as she cares about Nik being in love with someone other than her. Girl is a dog in the manger when it comes to Nik. And even if she were worried about Spencer, that needs to take a back seat to the fact that she has three kids and no house. Maybe instead of chasing Sam down at The Floating Rib to talk about Nik, she should be chasing down the insurance adjuster to talk about cutting her a damn check.

This. So much this. Also, shallow alert, Liz's top was hideous.

Oh also, I think there might have been a new writer listed today. And the format for the writers was a bit different I believe. Did anyone else notice?

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2

Oh also, I think there might have been a new writer listed today. And the format for the writers was a bit different I believe. Did anyone else notice?

She was already on the staff, but today from what I've seen was her first day writing dialogue.

Janet Iocabuzio . . . I so did not spell her last name right . . . was actually writing for GH in 1997. She is partly responsible for Enduro condoms, damn it.

Oh, also, she was part of the staff that introduced Liz, so now some of you know who to curse!

• Love 1

She was already on the staff, but today from what I've seen was her first day writing dialogue.

Janet Iocabuzio . . . I so did not spell her last name right . . . was actually writing for GH in 1997. She is partly responsible for Enduro condoms, damn it.

Oh, also, she was part of the staff that introduced Liz, so now some of you know who to curse!

Damn her.

• Love 5
(edited)
Anna: I think we feel a mutual respect for one another Sonny

:(

No wonder Mo said something to FH about their scenes together. Anna is kissing Sonny's ass.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 4
(edited)

UbiTlZc.jpg

This show has broken me! How about if he breaks his hip during it because old man Sonny can't keep up? (I'd  say how about she killed him after but I'm only going with attainable goals)

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2

I'm annoyed that Lante got divorced because it just seems like an excuse to do a vow renewal. Re-taping the original wedding would have annoyed me too but I think I would have preferred it. Of course if they did that I probably would have said vice versa lol.

I'm annoyed by the whole damn story, one which has annoyed me so much that it has contributed considerably to my having been a barge-dweller here for months. 

In good part because the whole contrived, plot-pointed, character-damaging story was, from the beginning last April, all about getting Dante and Lulu to this point when they  will renew their vows - and the angels will sing - and the sky will be full of rainbows.   This has ALWAYS been a Lante story - so much so that I could never understand why some people spoke about Dante and especially Lulu being thrown under the bus for Valerie.  Hell, within a week on the show, that bus was sitting on top of Val. 

Pardon my cynicism, but I've seen this coming for way too long - and regret the bad writing, the OOC character damage (Dante I'm looking at you) ... the way in which Lulu was made to look weak and vengeful  ... and the way in which a promising new character was used as yet another sacrifice for Lante story.  

• Love 5
(edited)

Your cynicism looks pretty glass-half-full compared to some of ours, no need for pardons. :)

:)  Yes, having visited to read posts and "like" the occasional one, I’ve seen a great deal of skeptical dissatisfaction.  This particular story irked me more than most because I liked the potential of all three characters … and because the story was even more plot-pointed and contrived than many of the other sad tales.

As for being predictable, I’ve been thinking back to when this story started in 2015 – and I looked at the comments on Valerie’s/Brytni’s first airdate.  The quotes are most interesting – with so much hopeful praise which started to evaporate within a week or so as soon as her role as the latest sacrifice to Lante’s story became apparent - a limited role which was the first clear sign that this was a Lante story and that their love story was intended to prevail. 

And prescient with these two comments:

“Valerie seems great already, but I shudder to think what they'd do with her if she becomes a bigger part.”

“I really like Valerie. I hope she doesn't get ruined like most of the other characters.”

And this one:

“I'm not into Valerie/Dante, but more so because I like Valerie so far and her sleeping with the husband of the cousin she just met would be skeevy.”

And so it was written - here - almost a year ago.  What a waste of time!!

Edited by Aurora2
  • Love 3
(edited)

The handheld camera to show Anna's stalker is hilariously overwrought. Dial it back, guys.

I can't get excited about Lulu and Dante getting back together because they shouldn't have gotten divorced in the first place. Gah, every. single. story on this fakakta show is SO DUMB.

"That first-edition Great Gatsby was a very thoughtful gift." Use it as a guide to life, Nik and Hayden. FFS.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 4

This has ALWAYS been a Lante story - so much so that I could never understand why some people spoke about Dante and especially Lulu being thrown under the bus for Valerie.

I mean, I don't think the characters were specifically thrown under the bus for Valerie, but what has transpired has done no favors for Dante or Lulu as individuals. It might have always been a story that would lead back to them being a couple, but the story was trash. I don't care about cheating on soaps. Or pairings breaking up for whatever reason. It's a soap. It's gonna happen. But the way this one has rolled out? I don't see Lante as winners.

• Love 5

Previews...hmmm, Carly saying she doesn't want Jason working for Sonny.  Maybe that'll be what eventually breaks them up, Carly keeping his boyfriend away!

Also, ugh, Felix.  And I don't understand why Michael is so mopey about Sabrina.  I don't really buy that he loved her the way he says he did.

• Love 3

At this point I wouldn't mind Sonny and Anna jumping into bed. I need Sonny and Carly to be reminded their love sucks.

As long as it turned out to be Dr. O wearing an Anna mask, since that would also explain why Anna now likes the mob boss who shot her daughter in front of her granddaughter.

• Love 10

Previews...hmmm, Carly saying she doesn't want Jason working for Sonny. Maybe that'll be what eventually breaks them up, Carly keeping his boyfriend away!

Also, ugh, Felix. And I don't understand why Michael is so mopey about Sabrina. I don't really buy that he loved her the way he says he did.

I am so over this show slapping pairings together and claiming they have a deep love 3 weeks later.

• Love 6
(edited)

I mean, I don't think the characters were specifically thrown under the bus for Valerie, but what has transpired has done no favors for Dante or Lulu as individuals. It might have always been a story that would lead back to them being a couple, but the story was trash. I don't care about cheating on soaps. Or pairings breaking up for whatever reason. It's a soap. It's gonna happen. But the way this one has rolled out? I don't see Lante as winners.

Oh, nobody wins – I know that.  In fact, I’m less of a Dante, Lulu, Lante fan that I was at the beginning of the story.  Ironically, I had taken a very long time to get to like Emme – and I do now.  But now I like Lulu LESS!  Go figure. 

So, believe me, I understand the damage to all three characters.  What I could never get is the way some came down her so hard as if she were getting all this great writing while Dante and Lulu being made to pay the price for her getting that writing. 

In the long run, at least Dante and Lulu will be around to get a chance to rebuild.  I seriously question if we can say the same about Valerie.  A far cry from these and other similar comments here on her arrival:

“My litmus test for an actor is how does he/she do opposite Fin, Jane, and/or Maura. I thought Brytni Sarpy did well opposite Jane. I look forward to seeing more of Valerie.”

“Anyway, Brytni Sarpy is a real find. IMHO, she's the best soap newbie since DZ.”

“I like Valerie Spencer. Good job casting! Way to redeem yourselves.”

“I really like Valerie- great casting.”

Just bringing the wheel full circle. 

Edited by Aurora2
  • Love 1

Oh, nobody wins – I know that. In fact, I’m less of a Dante, Lulu, Lante fan that I was at the beginning of the story. Ironically, I had taken a very long time to get to like Emme – and I do know. But now I like Lulu LESS! Go figure.

So, believe me, I understand the damage to all three characters. What I could never get is the way some came down her so hard as if she were getting all this great writing while Dante and Lulu being made to pay the price for her getting that writing.

In the long run, at least Dante and Lulu will be around to get a chance to rebuild. I seriously question if we can say the same about Valerie. A far cry from these and other similar comments here on her arrival:

“My litmus test for an actor is how does he/she do opposite Fin, Jane, and/or Maura. I thought Brytni Sarpy did well opposite Jane. I look forward to seeing more of Valerie.”

“Anyway, Brytni Sarpy is a real find. IMHO, she's the best soap newbie since DZ.”

“I like Valerie Spencer. Good job casting! Way to redeem yourselves.”

“I really like Valerie- great casting.”

Just bringing the wheel full circle.

Maybe she would have been better served as Keesha and AJ's daughter, getting story with the Quartermaines, and hating Sonny. As it is, her being a Spencer doesn't seem to play any role at all.

• Love 5

Maybe she would have been better served as Keesha and AJ's daughter, getting story with the Quartermaines, and hating Sonny. As it is, her being a Spencer doesn't seem to play any role at all.

On paper, a good idea. In practice, one that would have had her on the fast track to the exit even faster.

Can you imagine? "Valerie had an extra piece of pie at the metro court! She's obviously inherited AJ's overindulging!"

• Love 4

On paper, a good idea. In practice, one that would have had her on the fast track to the exit even faster.

Can you imagine? "Valerie had an extra piece of pie at the metro court! She's obviously inherited AJ's overindulging!"

I have no doubt RC would have screwed up like he did everything else, but I was thinking along the lines of Tracy and Valerie giving Nikolas a verbal beatdown and outsmarting him for ELQ, and Valerie beating the hell out of Sonny after finding out about AJ. :)

• Love 2

Yeah, considering that Valerie was introduced in such a serious, emotional Spencer story, I had hopes that at least some of her overall Spencer family connections would be developed – and I’m still annoyed that they weren't.

But then, we have Spencers on the show who don’t usually know they are Spencers – like Lena’s and Tim’s grandchildren, Michael, Morgan and Josslyn.  Or adopted grandson, Lucas – remember him – the guy with Valerie, Aunt Bobbie and Carly CORINTHOS when Patricia died.  About the only thing being a Spencer does for Valerie is further limit her choice of available love interests.

• Love 2
(edited)

What I could never get is the way some came down her so hard as if she were getting all this great writing while Dante and Lulu being made to pay the price for her getting that writing.

I think the reason some eventually took an issue with Val wasn't necessarily some kind of great writing (which no character has gotten after Ron took over, IMO), but because she took very little responsibility for sleeping with her cousin's husband multiple times and nearly trying to date him. And she wasn't seen as wrong for behaving like that.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 9
(edited)

My observations from today:

Dante wants a king-sized bed for him and Lulu? Together, they have barely over 100 inches of height and weigh 150 pounds, soaking wet.  They'd never see each other again!

I love Sam's dress.

Rebecca Budig found a first edition of The Great Gatsby in a bookstore and not through a broker? What, next to a pink unicorn? You all covered better than I could the inapplicabilty and undesirability of comparing themselves to Jay and Daisy. Still can't get on board with "ever relationship is complicated" from Nikolas as to why we shouldn't find them completely repulsive.

Richard Brugi is a really good actor.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 12
(edited)

Please tell me there is something, ANYTHING, to look forward to on this crapfest.

Sonny is going to get Avery back

There is nothing to look forward to in this crapfest.

the whole contrived, plot-pointed, character-damaging story

That would be "all of them".

Edited by yowsah1

Once again, this show needs a lesson on who should be paired with who. (If it's whom, pretend I said that originally, I'm tired.) Put Curtis with Hayden. Or if not, then with Jordan. If he wants a friend, I'd be totally fine to sit at the bar and drink with him.

Sam's sarcasm was great. The rest of this episode, kind of a snore but it was still light years better than yesterday. I don't have to say why.

Wait, Jordan wanted to be a dancer? Hayden likes bookstores? Did the network send out an edict saying flesh out these characters so now they get one liners that supposedly shines a light on their character's inner secrets? Whatever.

Previews: MUTUAL RESPECT? Shut your damn mouth, Anna Freaking Devane. You know I love you, but you better be playing him talking shit like that to Sonny of all people.

• Love 6

Do you think Emme Rylan knows she's curls top lip when she smiles. sad, grossed out, scared, laughing & pouts? She looks like she is 12 years old, too. It's a horrible acting tic she has and I guess it's too late to lose it.

My observations from today:

Dante wants a king-sized bed for him and Lulu? Together, they have barely over 100 inches of height and weigh 150 pounds, soaking wet.  They'd never see each other again!

I love Sam's dress.

Rebecca Budig found a first edition of The Great Gatsby in a bookstore and not through a broker? What, next to a pink unicorn? You all covered better than I could the inapplicabilty and undesirability of comparing themselves to Jay and Daisy. Still can't get on board with "ever relationship is complicated" from Nikolas as to why we shouldn't find them completely repulsive.

Richard Brugi is a really good actor.

Why did Hayden write in a first edition?  Sacrilege!!! 

• Love 1
(edited)

Do you think Emme Rylan knows she's curls top lip when she smiles. sad, grossed out, scared, laughing & pouts? She looks like she is 12 years old, too. It's a horrible acting tic she has and I guess it's too late to lose it.

I don't think it's too late but the directors can't be bothered in the one-take world of GH. Either that or they're too tired trying to calm down Michelle Stafford's tics to bother with anyone else's.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5

Rebecca Budig found a first edition of The Great Gatsby in a bookstore and not through a broker? What, next to a pink unicorn?

Yup, it's the damn Scrabble game all over again. #neverforget

Why don't these writers know how anything in life works? 

• Love 4

I think Curtis was borderline stalker-ish/abusive in his throw-down to Jordan.  He needed to seriously dial it back.

What's weird is that it happened now.  That scene where Jordan tells Valerie about Curtis' drug past happened weeks ago, even in PC's slower time frame.  Why did he come at Jordan now about it?  

• Love 2

I think the reason some eventually took an issue with Val wasn't necessarily some kind of great writing (which no character has gotten after Ron took over, IMO), but because she took very little responsibility for sleeping with her cousin's husband multiple times and nearly trying to date him. And she wasn't seen as wrong for behaving like that.

She wasn't seen as wrong by whom?  The writers?  Some viewers?  Both?  

What's weird is that it happened now.  That scene where Jordan tells Valerie about Curtis' drug past happened weeks ago, even in PC's slower time frame.  Why did he come at Jordan now about it?  

Just guessing here, but perhaps the reason this topic is being mentioned again now is that either Curtis or Jordan - or both - will be talking to Valerie soon.   So yesterday's  reference might be to re-introduce that conversation Curtis was willing to have with Valerie about his past - especially his past with Jordan. 

GH had two dark weeks in February - and Brytni was sick most of the two weeks before those dark weeks ... so I expect GH is now into airing the shows taped after the dark weeks and Brytni's return to the set. 

Again, just guessing.  And also being cynically bemused that there might actually be a logical reason for a weird time warp on GH.  Who'd have thunk!!

I can't answer for Heatlifer, but I know I hit my ultimate limit with the whole thing when Bobbie pretty much patted her on the head and sympathized with her instead of offering the wisdom of her past mistakes as a cautionary tale and sticking up for her other niece at least a little bit.  

• Love 9
(edited)

Where are the villains of the story?

Basically everyone is a villain, but we're not supposed to actually see them that way. That's the main problem. You can't a) write a show with only villains and then b) expect the audience to love and root for them. One of those things would be bad enough, but the combo is just killing this show.

The other characters, so the writers are to blame basically.

I really liked Valerie in the beginning and I thought BS was decent with a great potential to be something really special. But then Valerie became insufferable and imo BS became worse and worse. Her acting did Valerie no favors. Just really bad imo.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 4

Right before he went to see Jordan, he was looking at Valerie's number on his phone but didn't call her. That, plus his statement to Hayden that she's his only friend in PC, makes me think that Jordan's talk with Valerie worked, and now Valerie's being either politely distant or outright rejecting Curtis, but off-screen during a commercial. Maybe in a month, we'll get a scene of Curtis running into Val and asking why she never returned any of his calls.

• Love 4

What I find weird about the Jordan stuff with Curtis is we just went through her doing "something horrible" with Shawn. She is supposed to be one of the good people but now she has a second bad secret from her past besides cheating on her husband with his best friend.

I personally don't like Curtis I thought b/c he was smarmy but now that I've see more of him I feel like he is trying to emulate Shemar Moore and mama don't play that. There is only one SM and you ain't it. I doubt I'll ever like Curtis, but I agree he is better with baby/monkey/puppy than Nik.

Yesterday was first time I liked Jordan in recent months. She was much more herself and less shrewish. And again can I say how much I <3 Andre. If he can't have Jordan without all this Curtis drama then please give him a different love interest, I'm on board with Anna;)

I really liked Valerie in the beginning and I thought BS was decent with a great potential to be something really special. But then Valerie became insufferable and imo BS became worse and worse. Her acting did Valerie no favors. Just really bad imo.

I think BS would've had to play a really strong sense of guilt and with a selfishness motivated by mourning and loneliness - which would've been insanely difficult for a newbie, especially given the dialogue. She'd basically have to play just about every scene against the text of writers who actually thought Valerie/Dante were viable and she'd have to do it in one take with very little acting experience and zero soap experience.

I feel badly for the actress but the character is awful

• Love 1

I went back and watched all of Monday's episode for Sonny and Carly's long talk, because I had to see the fuckery for myself.  Taking it in a bubble (and I'm talking a frozen vacuum of outer space bubble here)...and doing my best to distance it from the undercurrent of pimping Sonny's Not Evil Mob Is The Lesser Of All Evils...it actually wasn't that bad, IMO.  Largely due to Laura Wright.

The problem goes back to that bubble.  Normally a scene like that, coming off the past couple of episodes, absolutely should be the opening for an actual sea change of some sort--which in this case would absolutely need to be Sonny finally deciding to get out of The Life for his family. And that, unless Jean Passanante and Shelly Altman are more subversive than anybody has ever suspected, flies directly in the face of everything this show currently stands for.  It felt like lip service, and with this show's history and established mandates it also felt insulting.

• Love 7

I think BS would've had to play a really strong sense of guilt and with a selfishness motivated by mourning and loneliness - which would've been insanely difficult for a newbie, especially given the dialogue. She'd basically have to play just about every scene against the text of writers who actually thought Valerie/Dante were viable and she'd have to do it in one take with very little acting experience and zero soap experience.

I feel badly for the actress but the character is awful

My issue with Valerie, other than the fact that I find her boring, is that you really kind of forfeit most moral highground when you sleep with someone else's husband or wife. She's just written as far too smug and judgemental and blame gaming for my taste. I think she forgets that when you point a finger at someone else, the rest of your fingers are pointing back at you. Lame comparison, but oh so true in her case.

She needs to have several seats, the first one preferably on a plane out of town.

• Love 11
(edited)
As it is, her being a Spencer doesn't seem to play any role at all.

History!

It felt like lip service

It's always been lip service. Passanante and Altman aren't the first to have Sonny and/or Carly bemoan what the mob has done to their lives, but they took it to a new level of WTFery with the most recent conversation. Especially because the reexamination basically came about because Lauren got shot. "No one wants [Lauren]!" Carly said it herself! Yet suddenly LAUREN is the catalyst for all this self-examination?

It's not as if Michael or Morgan hadn't dabbled in mob business in the past. Mykill put out a hit on someone. Morgan has blundered into deals before. Why is Lauren getting shot suddenly the straw that breaks the camel's back? (But really doesn't, since Sonny won't ever leave the mob.) Because she's the one who can influence Ava in the custody battle for Avery?

My issue with Valerie, other than the fact that I find her boring, is that you really kind of forfeit most moral highground when you sleep with someone else's husband or wife. She's just written as far too smug and judgemental and blame gaming for my taste.

Yeah, her reasoning has always pretty much been "I might have slept with a married man, but Lulu LIED. She deserved to be cheated on." Blech.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 10

oops peach, you were right, they got rid of showing all the breakdown writers. Dave Rupel wrote yesterday's episode, I guess Janet was the breakdown writer for the episode.

The other characters, so the writers are to blame basically.

Yeah, the writers, in this case specifically Shelly Altman and Jean Passanante. And I will reply the rest for real now in the Spencer thread.

• Love 1