Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

All objective criticism aside, this RNA fan is breathing a temporary sigh of relief and maybe, just maybe, watching Night Shift 2 again.

Another a Robert and Anna fan here, I've always seen them as end game.  And I liked Scrubs.  I think I'll also give Night Shift 2 another watch.

• Love 3

Re: teens(or lack thereof) the last few generations/series/tries of PC clicks have been terrible for the most part. The last group with decent storylines that I can say that I liked were Maxie/Georgie/Lulu/Dillon era. The rest had boring or just badly written tripe.

Rafe had a ton of freaking possibilities. Lived with an unstable mother, going from town to town. But no, he was thrown under a bus for TJ and Molly. He was a fucking Barrington for Pete's sake! The son of a crazed rock singer/killer/vampire. They just couldn't have Silas decide to ship him to a specialized boarding school for troubled teens? No, they had him pick up a drug habit (all out of the blue and off screen) and had him somehow being hired to somehow run Patrick and Sabrina off the road without actually crashing or killing anyone. For no clear reason. It made no sense.

Until the show hires people who can actually write decent stories for tweens and teens, I wouldn't want any on screen kids ruined by this show. Can't ABCD get someone from ABC Family's teen dramas to write? Or even hire writers from Degrassi? I don't understand why it is so damn hard.

• Love 4
(edited)
run Patrick and Sabrina off the road without actually crashing or killing anyone

Sabrina went into premature labor because of the crash, and Shamwow ultimately died. Rafe was a coked-up killer!

ETA: Autocorrect, man.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

I do have a terrible suspicion that had Ron gone on - and gotten cancelled - that he would've then brought IB back again as Duke to give Anna a happy ending.

If that choice was that or fuckin' Sloane, I would have taken zombie Duke in an undead heartbeat.  I really did like him, and him and Anna, when he first came back; it was his exposure to Sonny's toxicity that ruined him.

I will say, if Y&R ever lets him free, whoever's running this show should scoop up TR and put him on contract.

• Love 10

Sabrina went into premature labor because of the crash, and Shamwow ultimately died. Rate was a coked-up killer!

And where would we be if St. Sammy didn't use her PI skillz to figure out who killed St. Shamwow for St. Patrick!

Sabrina went into premature labor because of the crash, and Shamwow ultimately died. Rafe was a coked-up killer!

ETA: Autocorrect, man.

That's bedazzled coked-up killer, mmm'kay.

• Love 4

No, they had him pick up a drug habit (all out of the blue and off screen) and had him somehow being hired to somehow run Patrick and Sabrina off the road without actually crashing or killing anyone. For no clear reason. It made no sense.

Actually, Victor Cassadine dangled in front of poor, stupid Rafe the possibility that Alison was still alive.

(edited)

If that choice was that or fuckin' Sloane, I would have taken zombie Duke in an undead heartbeat.  I really did like him, and him and Anna, when he first came back; it was his exposure to Sonny's toxicity that ruined him.

I will say, if Y&R ever lets him free, whoever's running this show should scoop up TR and put him on contract.

I think killing Duke was the right move, or at least, sending him off the show was - he never quite gelled back in for me. But, this I agree with - zombie Duke would be better than Sloane.

Edited by ulkis

I liked Rafe. So shoot me. Send Shawn I know I will survive. Don't allow any of the Disney teens shows write for anyone. They have the dumbest teen shows ever. Even Re

_Ron did better than them. Did I say that ???

Damn , Damn, Damn I didn't get to join twitter and tell Ron what I thought of the show before I shut it off. Lets hope Frank will see he was also at fault and he dodged the bullet. I sort of feel sorry for Ron losing his job, and most likely he won't know why. Becaause he is that dense ! But now I hope we won't feel sorry for us, with trying to watch this show. Hey what will we talk abot if the show turns actually watchable.

• Love 3

I liked Rafe. So shoot me. Send Shawn I know I will survive. Don't allow any of the Disney teens shows write for anyone. They have the dumbest teen shows ever. Even Re

Damn , Damn, Damn I didn't get to join twitter and tell Ron what I thought of the show before I shut it off. Lets hope Frank will see he was also at fault and he dodged the bullet. I sort of feel sorry for Ron losing his job, and most likely he won't know why. Becaause he is that dense ! But now I hope we won't feel sorry for us, with trying to watch this show. Hey what will we talk abot if the show turns actually watchable.

Maybe Rafe would have fared better had he been integrated with the Quartermaines, rather than being one of the plots that brought Sam with Silas. And if RC could have resisted his inane triangles for actual character development, since he pretty much dropped Rafe off the face of the earth when he couldn't pursue the teen triangle with Molly/TJ/Rafe/Taylor.

I wonder what caused RC to go off the rails so badly, because his first year wasn't too bad; cops weren't automatically evil incarnate for disliking the mob and were allowed to rescue people without the assistance of the mob, Jasus was allowed to be wrong (which never would have happened under Guza), Anna returned, and AJ came back and had a relationship with Michael.

• Love 5

Maybe Rafe would have fared better had he been integrated with the Quartermaines, rather than being one of the plots that brought Sam with Silas.

He was such a plot point to bring Silas and Sam into each others' orbits and then they both looked the most neglectful guardians.

I would have kinda loved to see Lucy and Kevin get custody of Rafe.  They were the ones that were friends with Alison and them dealing with a traumatized teen while putting their marriage back together could have made for some good soap.

• Love 5

I wonder what caused RC to go off the rails so badly, because his first year wasn't too bad; cops weren't automatically evil incarnate for disliking the mob and were allowed to rescue people without the assistance of the mob, Jasus was allowed to be wrong (which never would have happened under Guza), Anna returned, and AJ came back and had a relationship with Michael.

The OLTL people coming back as new characters and them trying to force them into the show when Franco clearly wasn't working from day 2, Kiki clearly wasn't working from month 2 and Silas kinda muddled along, being inoffensive but pointless.

• Love 6
(edited)

The more and more I think about it, the happier I am to see RC go. He has skipped so many basic beats in his stories, it's unforgivable. When Sabrina first came on, she literally popped up one day out of nowhere, (as did Britt and Felix) to be placed in Patrick's orbit. Patrick, a character who used to always have a POV even when he was being a dick, was suddenly wallpaper who just went through the motions as the script said and had minor characters like Epiphany telling him his feelings to him. We were never told or shown why Sabrina was into him or he into her, just that she was taken with the hot widowed neurosurgeon she knew zip about. As for Patrick, I think he liked her because...she babysat well? Most of his motivations at that time came from fan wank that he was grieving Robin and not really looking for a new wife, but a mom-replacement for Emma.

That leads me to Britt. She too just showed up at GH one day into Patrick. Her mother followed not long after, and for some reason that was NEVER explained or expressed by the character, she just had to have Patrick.

Then there was Sam and Julian. Sam finally learns who her father is, but do we see this relationship play out and grow on screen. NO. Admittedly their development was only slightly better than Julian and Lucas' who after five or so meetings was calling him dad and telling him about his sex life. Which brings me to Julian full on accepting his son's homosexuality in two episodes; very poor and extremely jarring story telling. Why does Lucas still talk to Julian after he got him shot (indirectly) and went back to the mob at least once after that?

Fluke. Need I say more? The aftermath was actually the worst part of this story as we never saw Luke work through his issues on screen, it was literally go away off screen for a few weeks, say you got help, never pay for your crimes, and your entire family, most of whom which you tried to MURDER at some point, will all forgive you easily. No payoff. These people should be wary as fuck of Luke at the very least.

Those are just a few fucked up story lines off the top of my head that are shallow, and that's to say nothing of his paper thin romances which I have bashed repeatedly (binkymimo88 here). I'm hoping if nothing else (and I expect no miracles), that when the new writers tell a story 90% of it is not off screen. That's something I miss about soaps. Real human emotion. People reacting the way you or I would react. Psychological thought and insight. Sometimes I wonder if soap writers these days are even truly human, because it seems so easy to say that if character A lost someone they loved or broke up with a long time love, they wouldn't be over it in two episodes and on to the next plot. Of if you'd been kidnapped and held hostage for two years (hello Robin!), you wouldn't be ready to go back to work in two weeks and just pick up where you left off. No, you'd need some serious therapy, and your relationship with your husband and child would need some deep work to put back together again. That's part of the joy of watching soaps - the payoff! Where the fuck is my payoff?!

Edited by admiralrodcocker
  • Love 14

You know, I don't like the idea of anyone losing their job, but Ron really had it coming. He really bombed at this gig and I'm surprised that he lasted as long as he did. There have been a million things that have upset me as a long time viewer, but for some reason, the Christmas show with Dr. O as Krampus really bothered me more than just the usual shit that Ron churned out.  His OLTL stuff was kind of stunning in it's audacity and there were some nice bits there (turning Clint dark was very well done) but he hit a rough patch there too. The cancellation sharpened up his plotting although I know that many of us were worried that he couldn't pull that off (but he did) and the first year on GH was great... but this past year and a half to two years? not so much.

And just for his asshole arrogance on Twitter alone should have gotten him sacked. When you have to explain your plots on social media, you have failed as a writer.

Someone upthread said the last couple years should all be a dream. I agree.. and since the show has had such a 'dark fun house" (but without the actual fun) feeling, saying it's been a dream of Rafe sleeping on the docks after a near overdose of heroin laced coke, wouldn't be that much of a stretch. Mainstream publications would call it "Dallas Part 2" and fans would get a reset. Never going to happen, but a nice fantasy nonetheless.

• Love 7

Hope new writer takes into account families need to have scenes together. I keep forgetting Lucas is Julians son. Not to mention other familial relations go way over my head because I never see them!

I have my hopes high things do turn around.

• Love 2

Hope new writer takes into account families need to have scenes together.

If Jean Passanante is indeed the new head writer, then she forgot that SO MANY TIMES when she wrote for ATWT.  The few times she did remember were blessings.  Hopefully, Sherry Altman will balance her out and remember that.

• Love 1

The OLTL people coming back as new characters and them trying to force them into the show when Franco clearly wasn't working from day 2, Kiki clearly wasn't working from month 2 and Silas kinda muddled along, being inoffensive but pointless.

Looking back, that really does seem to be the dividing point, at least for me.  Pre-Franco/Silas/Kiki, I don't have many complaints.  I guess Purina was in the works by then, but it hadn't really gotten into full swing.  But after those three came back, I can't think of a single thing I liked other than Brad and Lucas.

It's like the last two years has been one long temper tantrum over RC losing his OLTL characters.

• Love 7
(edited)

Looking back, that really does seem to be the dividing point, at least for me.  Pre-Franco/Silas/Kiki, I don't have many complaints.  I guess Purina was in the works by then, but it hadn't really gotten into full swing.  But after those three came back, I can't think of a single thing I liked other than Brad and Lucas.

It's like the last two years has been one long temper tantrum over RC losing his OLTL characters.

I think that was really the point where things went wrong. The show had been cooking with A.J./Carly, the Nurses Ball, etc., building to conclusions and new stories, and then it stopped in its tracks for Franco, Silas and Kiki. There have been good stories and on-off intervals since, even very recently with the ELQ drama, but the show was never, ever the same. It became like an ongoing nervous breakdown.

I think the show also grew more openly self-reflexive, defiantly so, acting out against its critics, social media, fan complaints and more onscreen - Sean Kanan's weight, Nancy Lee Grahn's supposed 'mustache.' In that sense, yes, it became more and more of a petulant temper tantrum.

I do think RC was the biggest advocate for more of the veterans - FV has always favored what brings up demos, and in his eyes that is youth material. He also had no problem facilitating creative visions in the past that were, IMO, the antithesis of RC's. So I will deeply regret losing what I think is the better part of what Ron's instinct had to offer, which is a genuine affection for these families and older characters, even as his treatment and exploration of them became more and more polluted and slipshod. I think we'll be seeing much less of that stuff now, or at least I fear we will.

At the same time, I can't excuse his conduct or his creative choices, and I think he has no one to blame for his firing but himself. What he wanted to do more of or do differently is, at this point, academic - what matters in the balance of 3+ years is what he actually did. However blinkered FV's judgment may be as an individual, we can't blame the EP or the network or Tony Geary for Ron's work. I don't believe Tony Geary made him change the Fluke story from Eckert to Luke, and I believe he had every opportunity to end it earlier than he did. Ron has had an incredible amount of latitude. He failed to get past his own ego and his own weaknesses.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 14
(edited)

Well, we made it, kids.  It's Tony Geary's last day.  Has someone put the champagne on ice?

TG has made him with his whining about god forbid doing what made him popular and I don't even like L&L.

Edited by Harmony233
  • Love 2
Maybe Rafe would have fared better had he been integrated with the Quartermaines, rather than being one of the plots that brought Sam with Silas.

I so wanted this. Right around the time he showed up, there was a spoiler out there about there being an unknown Q hitting town. It would have been easy enough to retcon him as a Q - say Allison was really Alan's daughter, from an affair her mother had with him while married to Amanda Barrington's son.  Rafe could have been tied into the Q's, he would have been involved in the ELQ stock story at the time. Instead we got whatever the hell that Rafe story was.  As usual, it came across like Ron had a new shiny toy for a while, and then he got bored and threw it in the garbage as soon as someone dangled something else shiny in his face. 

• Love 3

If I took a drink of fucking coors light every time Lulu said "just one kiss" I'd be under the table, and I'm not even half way through the show.

ITS NOT LIKE U GUYZ HAD THE SEXX! It WAS JUST A KISS.

How much longer until Ron's shit is done? Please answer someone!

• Love 7

ITS NOT LIKE U GUYZ HAD THE SEXX! It WAS JUST A KISS.

How much longer until Ron's shit is done? Please answer someone!

also some great lines from Scott "master of subtlety" Sickles:

Kiki: Even if Morgan had some bizarro attraction to you because of your resemblance to my mom, he would never act on it. Neither of you would ever do that to me.

I mean, do they think I'm sitting at here going, "oh snap! but they would Kiki, they would! You better watch out girl your heart's gonna get broken! oh the irony!"

Who put this guy in charge of Luke's FINAL DAY??? Not that it matters who writes TG's scenes, but still.

• Love 7

Kiki: Even if Morgan had some bizarro attraction to you because of your resemblance to my mom, he would never act on it. Neither of you would ever do that to me.

COME ON!

• Love 4

I mean, do they think I'm sitting at here going, "oh snap! but they would Kiki, they would! You better watch out girl your heart's gonna get broken! oh the irony!"

Who put this guy in charge of Luke's FINAL DAY??? Not that it matters who writes TG's scenes, but still.

I can't believe THIS was TG's last episode. It's so horribly boring and hits all the wrong notes. If Ron wasn't already canned, this should have done it.

• Love 12
(edited)

It should really tell Lulu something that she wouldn't have known precious Daddy's leaving town if her mom hadn't rushed to find her. Lulu kissing Luke's ass in their final moments together, just sad. Her memory must have been harmed by Stavros putting her on ice; Luke rarely rescued Lulu when she was in deep trouble. And flat-out telling her she can handle herself, so he doesn't need to come rescue her ... yeah you suck as a father to your "one and only baby girl," Luke.  Lulu sobbing on Laura's shoulder, really just sad. I did like, though, that the envelope said "Angel" - a nice last second tribute to LnL even as TG has shit on the relationship that made his career.

Luke to Sonny: The town needs you ..."Take care of Port Charles"   WTF I can't even.  ... Get lost Luke. You won't be missed.

Dillon thinking he's going to make Lulu jealous by dating Valerie is just pathetic.  When even Morgan can tell you're salivating over his brother's wife, you have no hope. 

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 12

Did Tony mandate that there be no flashbacks at all, to completely avoid the wedding scenes?  Or did someone else make that terrible decision?

Whatever, I'm just glad he's finally gone and that there are some new writers.

• Love 12

I decided to watch my first, full episode of GH in two years and decided that I won't be back until the series finale -- or Monica slits Sonny's throat, whichever comes first.

So Luke's last day was spent with a murderous thug? Not Bobbi? Not Laura? But Sonny? That pretty much sums up this shit show perfectly.

"The town needs you to take care of Port Charles" How much coke do these writers snort in a day?

Why was Abby Ewing being so mean to Maxie?

• Love 10

Luke's ending was so disrespectful to the history of this show. No final scene with Laura, talking to SONNY, I have no other words. I'm just done with Geary and Ron. Truly disgusting combo that was.

• Love 17

Luke to Sonny: The town needs you ..."Take care of Port Charles"

Annnnd the baton has been passed from one actor that should have left years ago to the next actor that should have been gone years ago.

Spare me.  Sonny is a fucking mobster.  You know who Luke should have said the town needs you to?  His cop son. Since he can't do that then that dialog shouldn't have happened at all. 

• Love 15

Oh, Dillon, don't ask Morgan to read.  

That whole encounter was so weird, starting with the whole "Relax, bro, I'm straight" stuff, which reminded me of Ford on OLTL and thus made me shudder.

• Love 3

It should really tell Lulu something that she wouldn't have known precious Daddy's leaving town if her mom hadn't rushed to find her. 

It should, but Lulu is an idiot re: Luke, also, I guess they can't have Luke's daughter on his last episode be like, "you were shit. Bye!" 

But yeah, overall that was . . . Luke's exit wasn't even a mess. Except for a nice moment here or there, that was just a sad whimper. That retirement was at least 5 years too late.

Speaking of Lulu being an idiot, Dante buying her a bunch of crap should have clued her off, and would have, back when the characters were allowed to have some semblance of a brain.

And I love Laura, but fuck no she doesn't get to come in and talk to Dante about Valerie after years of being absent. The hell. Who told her anyway? That's weird.

I will say this line was pretty good: Madeline: not only did you go to that provincial little prom night with that goat Spinelli

it was actually "provincial little prom" night that made me laugh. Donna Mills delivered that well.

It's not that I'm rooting for Donna Mills, because I'm not, but I probably would not want my kid dating Maxie either.

Dillon thinking he's going to make Lulu jealous by dating Valerie is just pathetic.  When even Morgan can tell you're salivating over his brother's wife, you have no hope.

That's Morgan's one area of expertise. He can smell it on people.

Ava: if Kiki found out, it would destroy her.

HOW. How would it "destroy" her? And what does destroy mean, anyhow? Will she die of a broken heart? Will she have to be put into a mental institution? What? I think, at most, she would be KINDA GROSSED OUT. and then move on with her friggin life.

• Love 3
(edited)

The thing is that Luke is not the worst character on GH.  Even with him gone we are still stuck with Nina, Madga and Franco. I do hope that the new writers get rid of all three. I would put Dr. O in there but she is not on enough to be totally annoying like those three.

Why would Dillon want Morgan of all people to read his script? Doesn't he know that Morgan is a moron.

Edited by Lillybee
  • Love 3

That whole encounter was so weird, starting with the whole "Relax, bro, I'm straight" stuff, which reminded me of Ford on OLTL and thus made me shudder.

And the way they faded out of that scene after they introduced themselves to each other.  I was thinking "is this supposed to be some big dramatic moment? Like we've all been waiting with bated breath for the meeting of Morgan and Dillon?" 

• Love 6
(edited)

And I love Laura, but fuck no she doesn't get to come in and talk to Dante about Valerie after years of being absent. The hell. Who told her anyway? That's weird.

That's Morgan's one area of expertise. He can smell it on people.

A) It seemed (from the engagement party/Laura's return scene, and Laura's line about the phone call with Lulu) that Laura and Lulu have had a long-distance mother daughter relationship. I thought Laura's approach to Dante was pretty good, in direct contrast to the glaring and yelling that would come from Tracy in a "you're JUST LIKE your (insert insults) father!!" tirade - ignoring the fact that Dante didn't grow up knowing Sonny. I thought Genie did great, playing on Laura's applicable life experience.

B) Ok, that's hilarious. My point was just that Dillion is so OTT about how awesome Lulu is (Georgie who?) that Morgan can see it even though Dillon's not saying "soooo hot" or "soooo sexy." Dillon working with Morgan on a script though is really out there.

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 2

It should really tell Lulu something that she wouldn't have known precious Daddy's leaving town if her mom hadn't rushed to find her. Lulu kissing Luke's ass in their final moments together, just sad. Her memory must have been harmed by Stavros putting her on ice; Luke rarely rescued Lulu when she was in deep trouble. And flat-out telling her she can handle herself, so he doesn't need to come rescue her ... yeah you suck as a father to your "one and only baby girl," Luke.  Lulu sobbing on Laura's shoulder, really just sad. I did like, though, that the envelope said "Angel" - a nice last second tribute to LnL even as TG has shit on the relationship that made his career.

The only time that Luke was really there for Looloo, was when she had her abortion. Good stuff, then. Even if we had to suffer for months on end of "Lulu had an abortion!"

• Love 2
(edited)

Luke's ending was so disrespectful to the history of this show. No final scene with Laura, talking to SONNY, I have no other words. I'm just done with Geary and Ron. Truly disgusting combo that was.

Absolutely. Tony Geary would not be the legend he is without Genie Francis. I think that was proven in the 80s, when Monty was (slightly) disproved about Luke being the true star and the audience welcomed Laura back to exit Luke of the canvas.  If his last scene wasn't with Bobbie, then it should have been with her. Here is an idea: instead of passing the baton, just close the book. Figure out the standard bearers at a later time.

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 12
(edited)

So Luke made sure to pass on the role of being the town's unapologetic asswipe to Sonny before he left, how generous of him. Oh, and PC needs Sonny, Luke? Where's a sudden mob ambush when you need one?

I really, reeaally, reeeeeaaallllyyyyyyyyyy need the Metro Court to catch fire or a sinkhole to open up and swallow it whole. 

Watching Mags and Maxie having what I can only call a "bitch off" was like seeing the before and after shots of what pathetic and pointless looks like when both young and old.

Nathan continues to be so wooden even Pinocchio would feel for the guy. 

Can Morgan and Kiki just...I don't know, die? Dying would be good.

I'd feel secondhand embarrassment for Maura and Roger playing such loser characters but I just don't care enough.

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 6