Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

She tossed a spare toddler in front of a moving car?

That's the only part of this re-write that I can visualize.  I can see her muttering 'peasant' under her breath.

• Love 10

Oy vey:

GH'S HEAD WRITER: WHY WE RESURRECTED JAKE
By SOD • Posted: Jul 10, 2015

"It really was not something we were planning to do," says GH Head Writer Ron Carlivati of the decision to undo the 2011 demise of Liz and Jason's bio son, Jake. But while brainstorming Luke's grand finale, he and his team "were trying to come up with a purpose behind this adventure and a lasting impact for this adventure and something that would have emotional resonance for Luke and also, obviously, have a big impact on the rest of the canvas, so as much as it was an exit story, it was also the start of a story for other people." Of course, what with Jake having been an on-screen organ donor for Josslyn, "We had to pull out a bag of tricks and go to our go-to person, Helena Cassadine, for help, and made it work." For more on Jake's resurrection, and what it means for Elizabeth and "Jake," see the issue of Digest on sale next Friday

(edited)
It really was not something we were planning to do,

No! You don't say!

Luke pissed me off yesterday when describing the night he ran over Jake. Blathering about loud music, bumpy road, but no actual mention of having drank beforehand or maybe he was slightly buzzed or anything.

eeeeefff yooou buddy.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 16
(edited)

How old is Ned supposed to be? 

It would be so much simpler if soaps never SORAS'd anyone, or better yet, if we were just supposed to assume a character was the same age as an actor.Without going into a lot of explanation as to how I figure it, I'd guess the character is late forties, maybe fifty. WK just turned 58, I think. But he has always had youthful looks, as did the original Ned. Long story short, since Jax and Ned went to boarding school together at one point, and IR is mid forties, I think that's the best guess.

Edited by IWantCandy71
(edited)
I did get the sense a part of Dante really wished he hadn't cheated just so he could be simply angry without feeling guilty, which amused me. Like, "damn it! now I can't just yell!"

That is what separates him from his father: Dante still has a conscience, whereas Sonny is all "It wasn't my fault! [someone else] made me do it!"

Luke pissed me off yesterday when describing the night he ran over Jake. Blathering about loud music, bumpy road, but no actual mention of having drank beforehand or maybe he was slightly buzzed or anything.

Which is why the resurrection will never redeem Luke for me. Also, was it ever mentioned what everyone else ran over that night? Was Luke just the first one to hit Jake, and everyone following smushed him again?

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

Oy vey:

"It really was not something we were planning to do," says GH Head Writer Ron Carlivati of the decision to undo the 2011 demise of Liz and Jason's bio son, Jake. But while brainstorming Luke's grand finale, he and his team "were trying to come up with a purpose behind this adventure and a lasting impact for this adventure and something that would have emotional resonance for Luke and also, obviously, have a big impact on the rest of the canvas, so as much as it was an exit story, it was also the start of a story for other people." Of course, what with Jake having been an on-screen organ donor for Josslyn, "We had to pull out a bag of tricks and go to our go-to person, Helena Cassadine, for help, and made it work." For more on Jake's resurrection, and what it means for Elizabeth and "Jake," see the issue of Digest on sale next Friday

Oh God, I hate him so much. This flippant bullshit he always tries to sell. 'Oh, we weren't really thinking of going that way...' which changes with the wind 'Oh, that was the plan all along!'

DEEP HURTING.

• Love 6

She tossed a spare toddler in front of a moving car?

So what happened to that child's parents? Does Helena buy up toddlers for experiments and plots? Spare parts? The hell?

She's not Franco. Actually, it's too bad RC is still trying to pretend Franco isn't a sociopath because he would totally toss a spare toddler in front of a car to kidnap Jasus's kid

Has anyone seen Pillowena lately?  

Oy vey:

I love that his definition of "made it work" is "Helena explains it all during a commercial break."  Now I kind of want to see how many off screen conversations about it we get.   Lucky brings him home to Liz, she is shocked and asks "how?" We come back from commercial to Liz saying "Wow, that's an unbelievable story!"  Then Liz explains it to Jakeson, Patrick, Sam, Epiphany, Sabrina, etc, all during commercial breaks.  

Speaking of off screen, is Monica going to actually get some screen time with her resurrected grandson?  Or will Tracy just get those scenes by proxy?  

Oh, and if Liz doesn't at least float to Nik some curiosity if he knew his grandmother had her son all this time, I'll be annoyed.  She knows he's willing to go to any lengths at this point, so she has to at least wonder if one of the secrets he's been keeping for Granny is her faking Jake's death.  

• Love 3

Ron is full of crap. The storyline is nonsense and for shock value and he knows it. It's for Luke sympathy and the "start of the story" for Jason? Was the JaSam, Samtrick, Liason, Nik/Liz lies, Danny, Hayden, and the Robin angles NOT ENOUGH? My goodness. Enough of this, man!

And, I'm sorry, Liz doesn't need to be screaming at anyone about "secrets" when she is currently screwing another woman's husband and keeping a child away from said man. And, oh, yeah, basically asking Nik to kill Hayden. Sorry, show. You took that right away from her.

• Love 3

It would be so much simpler if soaps never SORAS'd anyone, or better yet, if we were just supposed to assume a character was the same age as an actor.Without going into a lot of explanation as to how I figure it, I'd guess the character is late forties, maybe fifty. WK just turned 58, I think. But he has always had youthful looks, as did the original Ned. Long story short, since Jax and Ned went to boarding school together at one point, and IR is mid forties, I think that's the best guess.

Ned went to boarding school with Damien Smith not Jax. Lois was the first person to meet Jax went she went looking for his help to help her with L&B. Jax was always younger than Ned. Ned should be around the same age as Sonny who should be in his early 50s. Jane is 68 so Tracy should be as well. She had Ned young so that should fit age wise.

• Love 1
(edited)

Which is why the resurrection will never redeem Luke for me. Also, was it ever mentioned what everyone else ran over that night? Was Luke just the first one to hit Jake, and everyone following smushed him again?

I think the logic was it wasn't that everyone hit him necessarily, they just happened to be driving on the street around that time.

That reminds me of this Tony Geary nugget from an interview at the time:

TV Guide Magazine: If Luke wasn't impaired, the whole premise that he could hit Jake with his car and not know it seems a little funky. What's your take on that?

Geary: [Laughs] Yes, that was a little funky. Bob Guza told me the show had done some research and found that it's possible, when driving an SUV at a certain speed, to hit a 4-year-old and not know it. All I could think was, "How exactly did you do this research? Did you get 10 little kids and have 'em run across the road as you tried to hit them?" [Laughs] I can't quite grasp where the research came from, but I am willing to accept it.

Did these same researchers go on to later form the focus group that said Franco and Carly were an awesome couple?

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 13
(edited)

"We had to pull out a bag of tricks and go to our go-to person, Helena Cassadine, for help, and made it work."

"Helena!  Our walking deus ex machina that we pull out of our asses whenever we find ourselves in a shittastic writing hole of our own making that we're too lazy to fix!"

Edited by magnolia11
  • Love 13
(edited)
Oh, and if Liz doesn't at least float to Nik some curiosity if he knew his grandmother had her son all this time, I'll be annoyed.

You're expecting a logical chain of thought here, KerleyQ? If Liz is able to put two and two together, I'm sure they'll have Nik say the answer is five, and she'll believe it.

I think the logic was it wasn't that everyone hit him necessarily, they just happened to be driving on the street around that time.

I know, but they deliberately showed everyone on the road clearly bumping over something. That was so we didn't immediately know who the hit-and-run driver was. (You know, suspense!) So if it wasn't Jake, what was it?

Jake: ::sociopathic stare::

::mentally goes through his knife collection to decide which is best to skin his brothers alive::

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1
I know, but they deliberately showed everyone on the road clearly bumping over something. That was so we didn't immediately know who the hit-and-run driver was. (You know, suspense!) So if it wasn't Jake, what was it?

Clearly, they all hit different little kids.  And Helena swapped one of them in for Jake.  

• Love 14

The spare dead child to toss in the road isn't any more of a stretch than a spare burnt Robin to put in the lab that exploded by accident when Maxie caught her purse strap, turning on the gas.

• Love 10
(edited)

And, I'm sorry, Liz doesn't need to be screaming at anyone about "secrets" when she is currently screwing another woman's husband and keeping a child away from said man. And, oh, yeah, basically asking Nik to kill Hayden. Sorry, show. You took that right away from her.

I would be perfectly fine with Liez going to Cassadine Island to confront Helena and then Helena slits her throat.

Edited by LeftPhalange
  • Love 1

The spare dead child to toss in the road isn't any more of a stretch than a spare burnt Robin to put in the lab that exploded by accident when Maxie caught her purse strap, turning on the gas.

How many dead bodies does Helena have on ice, anyway? Does she have some contact at the morgue who gives her all the bodies scheduled for cremation or something? 

• Love 1

Soap villains always have a selection of corpses to choose from to assist in their nefarious deeds. I wonder if they're in touch with Mr. Sinister of X-Men fame who always has clones lying about to harvest or send off to marry people?

Helena and Sinister would get along shockingly well.

THAT'S where Robin is!!

• Love 4
(edited)

How many dead bodies does Helena have on ice, anyway? Does she have some contact at the morgue who gives her all the bodies scheduled for cremation or something?

My guess is, anyone who has died in Port Charles in the last 35 years is probably hanging (literally) in Helena's ginormous freezer.  Each carefully labeled and alphabetized of course.

Edited by LegalParrot81
  • Love 7

My guess is, anyone who has died in Port Charles in the last 35 years is probably hanging (literally) in Helena's ginormous freezer.  Each carefully labeled and alphabetized of course.

With a list of PC residents who would be affected if she were to have Robin reanimate that corpse. 

• Love 2

I am just musing that if the previous scriptwriters were around, when Lulu finds out, she would say something really nasty and hitting below the belt with Dante. ("It should have been you who was shot", anyone?) I wish I could have faith the new writers will come up with a proper Lulu-esque rant.

• Love 3
(edited)

@queenofthecasadines

Needed some ice for my drink, chipped a hunk off of Pierce Dorman. #makinmojitos

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 17

I am just musing that if the previous scriptwriters were around, when Lulu finds out, she would say something really nasty and hitting below the belt with Dante. ("It should have been you who was shot", anyone?) I wish I could have faith the new writers will come up with a proper Lulu-esque rant.

I dunno.  Remember that clip you posted awhile back where Tracy tells Lulu to "get over yourself!" after Lulu learned that Dante kept quiet about Lucky slipping? And she was all teary and wanted to break things off; because trust was an issue?

This Looloo doesn't have the vulnerability or edge of JMB, so it would have come across as a tear-filled 'how could you DO this to me?!' type of scene.

• Love 1
(edited)
@queenofthecasadines

Needed some ice for my drink, chipped a hunk off of Pierce Dorman. #makinmojitos

Helena would never resort to cannibalism. She's a lady!

I hate how they're writing Lulu right now; just standing there with her huge saucer eyes all dumb and annoying.

I know. Fight back, dammit!

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 3

The ugly thing here is that it had to be a live child tossed in front of a car because said child died on Patprick's  and Robin's operating table.

• Love 1

The ugly thing here is that it had to be a live child tossed in front of a car because said child died on Patprick's  and Robin's operating table.

Helena had to have had Faison's help--you know for a mask that looked like Jake; otherwise they would have known it wasn't Jake if it had his real face. The spare toddler that died in Jake's place, that is.

Or was this little nugget also explained during the commercial--that Liz and Lucky grieved over a child that looked just like Jake.

• Love 2

I cannot believe how OK Ron is with major characters (Patrick, Robin, Liz, Jason, Lucky, the ENTIRE HOSPITAL) looking absolutely dumb as fuck just so **** can be alive to stick in a basement months from now.

• Love 4

Helena would never resort to cannibalism. She's a lady!

Heh, I was picturing an excess chunk, not anything with human flesh in it.

And if Helena were to resort to cannibalism, she'd do it up right, "Hannibal" style.

• Love 3

I cannot believe how OK Ron is with major characters (Patrick, Robin, Liz, Jason, Lucky, the ENTIRE HOSPITAL) looking absolutely dumb as fuck just so **** can be alive to stick in a basement months from now.

darthvader_zpssxzjgrmj.jpg

• Love 5

Ned went to boarding school with Damien Smith not Jax. Lois was the first person to meet Jax went she went looking for his help to help her with L&B. Jax was always younger than Ned. Ned should be around the same age as Sonny who should be in his early 50s. Jane is 68 so Tracy should be as well. She had Ned young so that should fit age wise.

Okay, so it was Damian Smith.  My bad. I was avoiding the long explanation, BUT: Ned was referred to as being ten years old in 1980. That'd make him 45, no older. They sort of seemed to soras him a bit when he came back as an adult, early twenties maybe when he should have been around 18, when he had his affair with Monica in 1988/89.

Oh God, I hate him so much. This flippant bullshit he always tries to sell. 'Oh, we weren't really thinking of going that way...' which changes with the wind 'Oh, that was the plan all along!'

DEEP HURTING.

Ron should clean sewers for a living. Lord knows his "stories" have the foulest of stenches so he'd be right at home.

• Love 2

JJ got me in the heart with his tears and awe at seeking Jake (like is he real??), hugging Laura in joy, and the suspicion that maybe Nikolas could have known the whole time.  Laura being all "Nikolas couldn't keep a secret this big" and Lucky's yeah, right expression - well done.

I love that Laura gets to take little Jake's hand, go for a walk (although sick they were both held on that island) and gently tell him he's going to a new/his old home. I think it's a stretch, though, that Jake doesn't remember Lucky at all.  JJ's acting while watching Laura and Jake walk out was awesome, but I HATE that Lucky is now written to kiss Luke's ass like he's the greatest man ever. Dude, the whole reason Helena's minions got their mitts on Jake in the hospital to begin with is because your dad ran him over with his car when he was drunk. Luke's monologue to Lucky, though (ending with telling Lucky he's the pride of his life) was great though, and invalidates all the Tracy's my great love, best time ever nonsense. I liked Luke reflecting on how amazing Lucky was as a kid - that's Luke the father I remember. 

What gets me is that not one of the three of them wonders, who was the kid Lucky and Elizabeth buried?!!! Jake's there and looks fine, and that's good enough for them...ookkkaaayyy.   

Little Jake telling Lucky he doesn't have a mother...ouch. Lucky telling him Elizabeth loves him very much, awww. Also hate that Luke gets to babysit Jake over on the side while Lucky breaks the news to Liz. 

Valerie is totally going crazy over losing her crush to his wife. Will Dante tell the whole truth now that Lulu is crying because she found out about the kiss from Carly...dun dun dun. Don't care.

• Love 11

Luke's monologue to Lucky, though (ending with telling Lucky he's the pride of his life) was great though, and invalidates all the Tracy's my great love, best time ever nonsense. I liked Luke reflecting on how amazing Lucky was as a kid - that's Luke the father I remember.

IA with all of this. I always thought Lucky was his great love. 

Jake telling Lucky he didnt have a mother had me cackling. 

• Love 5
And if Helena were to resort to cannibalism, she'd do it up right, "Hannibal" style.

We live in a society, you know.

Valerie is totally going crazy over losing her crush to his wife.

She needs to talk to Sabrina, like pronto.

• Love 2

Still hoping this "Jake" kid is an evil clone set out to destroy PC. Otherwise, this crap is just totally pointless. Which fits with everything else, but there are some levels of WTF I cannot abide, and this is definitely one of them.

• Love 6

The fact they have us all here, speculating about spare toddlers (raises hand...), feels like a permanent barge departure moment.

The only reason it's not being deleted from the DVR: holding out hope that the jackass's final scene will include him actually bursting into flames - literal flames. That's the only thing that might come close to worthy of making this even vaguely acceptable.

• Love 3

Shouldn't the fact that Jake can't remember Lucky or Liz be setting off "He's been brainwashed!!!" bells? He wasn't an infant when he was snatched, after all.

And we're supposed to believe that he's not attached to the person who raised him and that Nik didn't know? Oooook.

• Love 1

As this week concludes all that really sticks out to me is that these characters have been turned into utter and total dumb-assess in every way imaginable/possible.

It's as if everyone has turned into a Morgan and that's just not kosher to me.    

Lucky's scenes with Luke were really JJ talking to Tony and vice versa and to me that is what really made them work because those two truly do adore and love each other. And as far as I'm concerned they are all that's been good about Lucky's return so far. 

That Jake kid...he really is Jason's kid, and I mean the "real Jason" as in Steve B. because that kid as just as robotic and emotionless as he often was. So now that Jake has been resurrected, does this mean Cameron will finally get closer to puberty? That kid has needed a growth spurt for years at this point. 

Besides, at least in my book, it'd be really amazing to see JJ sharing scenes with a pre-teen/teen Cameron who is able to express his hurt and anger, and true neediness over wanting his Dad to be there for him, to Lucky face to face. Extra bonus points if they could find a kid who can really act and pull it off.  

Liz is just...honestly I feel as if it isn't even worth writing about how pathetic she is at this point, really.     

So Ron finally decides to bring Monica back just so she can have a "run in" with Jake "Dumbass" Doe. I don't care and never, ever will. Ron has once again proven he has no originality or competence of his own merit, he merely regurgitates what has happened before, but makes it even worse.       

Everything has gone right back to the usual of everything and nearly everyone on this shitty show revolving around the princely killer who is Jason Morgan, and they don't even know it's really him yet.           

Without knowing the slightest bit about who he really is, or was, or even his actual name still half the bloody town is ready and willing to take up arms for this stranger as if they just "know" he's worth it because he gives them "good vibrations". It's so reproachful I am at a loss for words frankly.            

• Love 5