Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

3 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

With the back entrance where the garage is, I doubt they'll be climbing those stairs very often. I feel bad for their mail carrier, though!

It just seems like a safety thing, and you can't plan on every guest parking in the back.  But I agree they'll certainly be using the back entrance!

I skipped the Beach Hunters repackaged since I don't like those and watched one in Melbourne, Florida, with a pilot and his incredibly annoying girlfriend (moving from Michigan) looking for a house with water (they hinted at a plot about her fear that it would have gators, but didn't make that much of it), a pool, and her desire for a "Kardashian closet," an office, 4 bedrooms, and the world's biggest master suite, plus an impressive entrance. They got ridiculously excited about -- no kidding -- a dual (pointless) staircase.  I think she bugged me more than Knoxville woman, in that anyone who wants to emulate the Kardashians loses any goodwill I might have, and whining about needing a closet the size of a normal bedroom and master bath the size of a large bedroom are two of my least favorite things.  She also was needling the bf (who wanted a guy room, sigh) with not being a man, having to hire a real man to drive a boat (again, he was a pilot), and doing the "no, it's mine, I always get my way" thing. I'm not mad on his behalf, he was boring and apparently fine with it, but it was just icky.

Edit: oh, good, I see it wasn't just me.  

Edited by msmarjoribanks
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

Completely disliked both the husband and wife from Florida.  I just wanted to slap her face every time she said Kardashian closet.  I hate to tell her but none of her closets will come close to one of their closets.  And he was no better with his snide remarks.  I kept wondering how these two people married each other. 

I don’t believe they are married. Why did she need an office? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

She has some kind of home business in the health industry.  Kind of sounds like she sells insurance. 

I figured she did MLM like Advocare or Beachbody. Her dbag husband used air quotes when he mentioned her "working" so I don't think he took her job too seriously.

• Love 9

Another couple buying a house without being married, and from the look of things, might not be together for long. She was a brat, and she really needed to lose the eyelashes. He was rather obnoxious also. Hmmm...maybe they are a good match after all!

Gulfport: I'm betting she had no furniture so they showed them at the pool. Did they mention maintenance fees?

Edited by twinks
  • Love 4

If Melbourne lady works at home, what the hell does she need with all those clothes?  She can work in her pj’s and throw on a nice top when videoconferencing.  Then she can sell whatever won’t fit in her half of a non-Kardashian closet and put that towards a bigger house in the future.  Problem solved.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I figured she did MLM like Advocare or Beachbody. Her dbag husband used air quotes when he mentioned her "working" so I don't think he took her job too seriously.

I assumed she was in a MLM pyramid scheme, too. I figured essential oils (I know someone annoying who does this so I may be biased). They were a thoroughly boring and unpleasant couple.

• Love 4

OK, I really hated the Melbourne fiances, and as bizarre as he seemed, the dog liked him so much better, so I'm going with the idea that the dog knows about his person. 

I hated the female fiance, and if I never hear the phrase "Kardashian Closet" again, I'll die happy.     And for someone who is MLM in the health care/fitness area, she certainly had a humongous behind, and even larger saddle bags, and I can imagine that's why she sells that kind of product online, where no one sees the large caboose she's carrying around.    My guess is she may have an 'online business', but he's paying all of the bills, and if his income drops then his love muffin will be long gone.   Hopefully, he'll keep the dog, because the dog couldn't stand her.     If this was filmed a few months ago, I'm hoping he's met someone else, dumped the wannabe Kartrashian, and moved on to someone that sees him as a person, not just a paycheck.   On another shallow note, I wonder who's paying her botox bills, because her face barely moved.      

The cute little dog certainly showed the idiot woman who was boss, and couldn't get far enough away from her.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:05 PM, laredhead said:

She's being added to my list of annoying HH's.

That list HAS to be quite long by now.

21 hours ago, juliet73 said:

And her need for a "Kardashian" closet was annoying!  As a couple, they didn't seem to think too highly of each other.

As soon as I heard her say the dreaded K-word, that was it for me.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The cute little dog certainly showed the idiot woman who was boss, and couldn't get far enough away from her.  

I thought the same thing. The editors couldn’t find any footage of her dog actually listening to her? Or wanting to be near her? LOL. 

2 hours ago, Babalooie said:

“She's being added to my list of annoying HH's”

That list HAS to be quite long by now

The Melbourne, Fla couple and the Knoxville couple have been added to my list of, ‘Why are they still together? And for how long?’ couples. 

• Love 5

Melbourne episode was cringe worthy.  She really was a piece of work, from the huge false eyelashes that made her look like she had trouble lifting her eyelids, to the need for a giant master suite,  to her snarky comments to her boyfriend.  Even the dog was on the receiving end of one at the beginning when she was sweetly calling the dog to come sit with her, and when it wouldn't, she immediately went 180 on it and her tone of voice was not nice.  I did like the boyfriend's comeback about his ability to fly a multi-million dollar airplane should give him some skills to handle a boat.  She certainly came off as a hugely entitled person who deserved every room in the house for her personal use with no regard for the wishes of the boyfriend who was obviously funding the purchase.        

I liked the Key West style house, but knew it was a red herring because it was furnished and looked like someone lived there.  Seldom are those the ones that are purchased.  The house they bought wasn't anything special, and I can barely remember anything about it now other than it is on a golf course, it had a tall ceiling in the entry, and he didn't like the tile floor in the entry.

I also have a list of annoying HH's which is up to about 2 pages now, and she's on it, right after the Knoxville wife.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Denver: I loved that dog! Wish he could have gotten a big yard. I liked the place they picked (seeing the neighbor across the way pumping iron made me laugh). Didn’t like putting a hot tub on that lovely deck.

I assumed it was staged and I have to admit, if my neighbors came to me and said "We're filming House Hunters and we'll be able to see you through the window," I'd either be working out, cooking, or reading. Something to make me look good. :)

I loved the exteriors of the second two houses they looked at. I can understand wanting a hot tub but it took up the whole deck, so all their parties will be hot tub parties, I guess.

• Love 3

Based on the three houses they saw, I knew they'd pick the first townhouse in Denver, but I really loved the exteriors of the other two, too.  I love vintage, but for them, and given the drawbacks/cost of the other places, it did make sense to go with the townhouse, and I'm glad the guy who was the vintage lover gets to live in a cool place in a neighborhood with a lot of nice old houses to look at.

• Love 1

Palm Springs: That’s a lot of work (kitchen, bathrooms, floors) they have to do for a reno budget of $25,000 (did I hear that correctly?). That doggie was adorable with those Dumbo ears! 

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 5

Palm Springs:  Did the wife just land on earth 2 minutes before they started filming?  She wanted a move in ready 2000 sq ft house with a big master bathroom, walk in closet, an updated kitchen with high end appliances and granite, a huge yard with a garden, a pool and of course an extra room for all their guests that can't drive 90 minutes back to LA *eyeroll* in Palm Springs for less than $250k!!!  Besides her crazy expectations, she annoyed me with her overacting! They picked the under budget fixer and she thinks the kitchen, 2 bathrooms, the flooring and the backyard can all be renovated for under $25k?!  She's crazy!!

• Love 9

Yeah, the Palm Springs wife did act kind of loopy with her overacting.  Maybe she's auditioning for some acting work?  I agree that $25k for all that renovation seems low.  Those two acted like they had no idea how much it would cost to completely redo that house.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, rhofmovalley said:

Does Palm Springs wife know that Palm Springs is in the desert?  Good luck growing your own fruit and vegetables in 115 degree weather with sand as your soil!

I thought the same thing.  The amount of work it would take to keep even a small vegetable garden going in the desert would not be worth it and very wasteful of water in the desert, to boot.  Of course, she also seemed to think that the whole house could easily be renovated for $25 grand; so she doesn't seem to be grounded in reality.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Palm Springs: That’s a lot of work (kitchen, bathrooms, floors) they have to do for a reno budget of $25,000 (did I hear that correctly?). That doggie was adorable with those Dumbo ears! 

I think the budget was a lot more for that one.  It would have been $25K for the second house, and this was was $65K less.  Of course, that assumes they have a loan for mortgage+reno+DP totaling $250K, as it's not always that easy.

Loved the doggie and his ears.

I didn't know you could get a place in Palm Springs for that little, and the realtor's comments on how to do it were interesting.

I thought they should go with the second place since the wife wanted the pool so much.  None of the fixes in either of the second two were urgent/necessary.  (Notice they said the third place was 2006 and the husband still insisted the appliances NEEDED to be replaced immediately, despite working fine, according to the realtor.  I'm sure because they were white, the horror!)

• Love 6

I believe they were also budgeting $40k for the future pool.  $159 house + $25 reno + $40 pool = $224k.  Their budget for all houses was $225k.  But I'm 224% sure that all the budget numbers and the other 2 house options were just producer inspired fiction, they had probably already bought their house.

"...small closet, I may have to reduce my dresses to 375."  Was that a random number, or how many days she thinks there are in a year?

(Not really trying to pile on, I liked them and wish them luck.  Just some humor.  Would love to see one of those followup episodes once their renovations are complete.)

Edited by pep4
  • Love 3

The sandwich the wife was eating at the end looked delish. I was staring at it.

They were a very nice couple, but I kept thinking "Huh?" when they suggested things. A vegetable garden in the desert. $25K to renovate their entire house. It seemed like she was doing most of the work, so maybe that's how they were able to keep costs down?

• Love 7

The Palm Springs reno was so strange.    They couldn't touch that place for $25k, even if they did everything themselves.     I wonder what was around the house for them to get it so cheap, or if there was a slab issue that will break the budget during reno?     Also, apparently some areas of Palm Springs aren't all that nice, so I found it interesting that they didn't show the neighbors, except in the back yard when  they couldn't avoid it.     There is no way a pool in that yard, and the necessary decking, and other concrete will be only $40k.

I did like seeing the two men who bought in Palm Springs, sold a year later and moved back to L.A. for work, and are coming back to Palm Springs with a much better budget.   I really liked them both times they were on.   I love when two people can disagree without getting rude and nasty.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

Yeah, they did say they were trying to do it for $25K at the end, and also that they were 3-4 weeks out from having the main stuff done, and the wife seemed to be doing most of it.  Maybe it's because they were saving money for the pool or did not have a reno-based loan.  But at the beginning they said their budget was $250K (I double checked) and when they looked at the $225K one they mentioned $25K, so I wonder if there's more to it, like $25K is for the first round of essential stuff.  Who knows!  Would have been cool if they were on the HH Reno show so we could see the final after reno house.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I did like seeing the two men who bought in Palm Springs, sold a year later and moved back to L.A. for work, and are coming back to Palm Springs with a much better budget.   I really liked them both times they were on. 

I liked them too, but wondered why they were pushing the 'we want to be able to walk downtown' theme. As someone here noted, it is blazing hot in Palm Springs (unless they were only going to walk after dark?)

• Love 3

I think everyone says that for Palm Springs, because the downtown is bar and restaurant central.    You don't walk there, I bet they Uber to the bars, and walk home after dark or get a ride, so they don't get a DUI.     The really modern townhouses that several have bought are a newer subdivision right downtown, so the one from a few weeks ago, with the French Bulldog bought a used one from the same builder I think.  

• Love 1
On November 2, 2018 at 9:57 PM, msmarjoribanks said:

Anyone watch Mt Clemens, MI?  That's in my general zone of interest, so I did, and predicted they'd go with the first.  Some hilarious grey paint stuff and for once pulling up the carpet apparently (and realistically) did not lead to usable hard wood, but I did like the place.

On November 2, 2018 at 9:57 PM, msmarjoribanks said:

Anyone watch Mt Clemens, MI?  That's in my general zone of interest, so I did, and predicted they'd go with the first.  Some hilarious grey paint stuff and for once pulling up the carpet apparently (and realistically) did not lead to usable hard wood, but I did like the place.

I watched, because I live in a neighboring town and love Mt. Clemens and it's many historic homes, but all I took away was how annoying the wife was...and I've seen this happen often...someone so totally without charm who kept going on and on about finding a place with its original charm and "cairkter".

• Love 3

Did anybody happen to catch the HH with the couple from MO?  I messed the intro but I gather they move a lot for his work.  Anyway the wife required TWO laundry rooms and TWO kitchens...and the kitchens were both supposed to be on the main floor...a wet kitchen and a dry kitchen...They had a budget set...for him 600,000...for her 900,000 and the home they chose was 929,000!!!! AND they only had TWO children!!!

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Gini said:

Did anybody happen to catch the HH with the couple from MO?  I messed the intro but I gather they move a lot for his work.  Anyway the wife required TWO laundry rooms and TWO kitchens...and the kitchens were both supposed to be on the main floor...a wet kitchen and a dry kitchen...They had a budget set...for him 600,000...for her 900,000 and the home they chose was 929,000!!!! AND they only had TWO children!!!

Oh, that episode was much-discussed, if I recall correctly. She was a piece of work.

• Love 1

I remember that episode, with two laundry rooms, and a double kitchen.   That woman was ridiculous.     I can't believe they went that far above his budget, when he was paying the bills.    From the way the wife was talking, you would think she had 10 kids, not two.    I'm sure that the $929,000 purchase price will only be the start of what she's going to want added to that house also, and that is going to price them way out of the sales market.     They better stay in that house forever, or it will have to be really discounted to sell.     

The Gulfport episode from the other day was on Beachfront Bargain Hunt today.     

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I remember that episode, with two laundry rooms, and a double kitchen.   That woman was ridiculous.     I can't believe they went that far above his budget, when he was paying the bills.    From the way the wife was talking, you would think she had 10 kids, not two.    I'm sure that the $929,000 purchase price will only be the start of what she's going to want added to that house also, and that is going to price them way out of the sales market.     They better stay in that house forever, or it will have to be really discounted to sell.    

I remember the discussion from before, but never saw it until today.  Wow, that woman was awful.  I was so mad that they took that stupid over budget house that was $929K when he only wanted to spend $600K.  They got it for $850K, but still, and I'm sure she will demand more and more. 

The second one (actually close to his budget) was perfectly fine, and she was going on about all the renovations they'd have to do.  The kitchen was a gut job because of horrible dark granite, you know.

Also, expecting 2 kitchens (on the same floor) and 2 laundry rooms and also refusing to do ANY renovations (which she said) is so absurd.  Setting aside the expectations that there'd be wet/dry kitchen houses in Cape Giradeau, MO (or most places in the US), her reasoning for wanting 2 laundry rooms didn't really make sense.

• Love 3

Hawaii: Lady, the word you should be using is “continuity” not congruent/congruency. WTF is a monkey pie table?

Anyway, they picked the right place because of the beach frontage. I would like to see how the reno turns out.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Hawaii: Lady, the word you should be using is “continuity” not congruent/congruency. WTF is a monkey pie table?

Anyway, they picked the right place because of the beach frontage. I would like to see how the reno turns out.

OMG! I thought I was the only one who thought this. At first, I was like this is a new HGTV buzzword. Then, I was like is she trying to mean something else? Although, congruent is a word but I think she was using it wrong. That said, the ocean view was amazing. I really want to see the finished product. In the scheme of things the $800,000 price tag was a steal, wasn't it? Was there still room for a pool though? The front looked small but i couldn't tell if a pool could be squeezed in or not?!

con·gru·ent

/kənˈɡro͞oənt,ˈkäNGɡro͞oənt/

adjective

adjective: congruent

in agreement or harmony.

"institutional and departmental objectives are largely congruent"

Geometry

(of figures) identical in form; coinciding exactly when superimposed.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, twinks said:

Let's not forget the flies!! That was a new one. 

I never heard of it either. I'm assuming she would have dark floors, dark walls, dark cabinets, dark everything as not to attract flies. Are window screens not a thing in Hawaii? 

I know it's not the norm, but with a large(ish) family, I  would have nixed the bottom floor apartment/guest area (I can't remember the Hawaiian word) and made that area into a family room/additional living space, etc. I wouldn't waste all that valuable square footage for occasional guests when it would be used every day as an office/playroom/den, etc.

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 10

Hawaii wife was totally annoying. I don't think flies care what color your counters are. And we have redone a kitchen and two bathrooms in our house so far, deliberately each with their own design because we are not developing a tract home, we are making a space where we want to live. Shut up.

Forgot to mention that I thought their beloved master bedroom set was beyond fugly.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, juliet73 said:

I never heard of it either. I'm assuming she would have dark floors, dark walls, dark cabinets, dark everything as not to attract flies. Are window screens not a thing in Hawaii? 

OMG, this!  I've been to lots of warm weather places, and window screens are a thing everywhere, and do just fine against both flies AND mosquitoes.

And even if flies aren't into dark countertops (wtf?), that doesn't mean they won't fly into your house anyway.  They aren't going to know your countertops are dark until they are flying around in the house.

• Love 4

What an idiot with the dark countertop thing.  First of all, flies do give a rats ass about the color of anything, in a kitchen they are going for the food.  Second, on dark countertops she isn't going to see them crawling around and into her food.   The common sense of a box of rocks.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Hawaii wife was totally annoying. I don't think flies care what color your counters are. And we have redone a kitchen and two bathrooms in our house so far, deliberately each with their own design because we are not developing a tract home, we are making a space where we want to live. Shut up.

Forgot to mention that I thought their beloved master bedroom set was beyond fugly.

The bedroom set was kind of ugly but it’s from the 90’s. All the bedroom sets look like that. I think they had a sentimental attachment to it so I’ll give them a pass. I still want to see the the house all done. It really had one of the most amazing views. I mean the ocean was right there. That said, if there’s a major storm it might not be that perfect but it will do for now. 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

The bedroom set was kind of ugly but it’s from the 90’s. All the bedroom sets look like that. I think they had a sentimental attachment to it so I’ll give them a pass. I still want to see the the house all done. It really had one of the most amazing views. I mean the ocean was right there. That said, if there’s a major storm it might not be that perfect but it will do for now. 

We bought our bed and dresser in the late 90s and they look nothing like this. I don't give them a pass for terrible tacky taste.

I would also like to see what they make of the house--and I wondered about storm-readiness, as well.

• Love 4